Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just getting caught up from weeks of being out of town. 

Could not stand Ryan.  I can't believe he won 7 games or whatever.  At times he gave really stupid answers.  I know part of it was he basically got two chances, but still.  And now he will be back again in the tournament of champions. 

"Name the most recent year two former governors ran for president"  1962!!!!  That was not even a presidential election year! 

Not watching the tournament of champions rerun.  Or any reruns. 

• Love 5
On 8/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I apologize for not reading the other thread and knowing you already posted it.  I don't go to that media thread very often. 

Not sure why you have to apologize!  Who knew there was even another thread or why those on this one should have to cross reference.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Who knew there was even another thread

Everyone who actually looks at the main page of PTV's Jeopardy site, that's who. There are 25 other Jeopardy-topic threads here. 26 if you count this one.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone who actually looks at the main page of PTV's Jeopardy site, that's who. There are 25 other Jeopardy-topic threads here. 26 if you count this one.

Ouch.

I misinterpreted DrSpaceman's original reference.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm one of those who almost never go to the other threads (there was an exception, and I don't remember why). So if it doesn't appear here, it doesn't exist for me. ;)

• Love 7

So, I'm posting this in this thread, not the media one - since we often discuss when Jeopardy is unavailable due to network news and sports: Jeopardy Making Streaming Debut on Hulu.

Although we've worked out our issues with our digital antenna, I'm looking forward to having a backup source.

Edit - after checking it out, I'm not sure they will be streaming the current season. I guess we'll find out in 6 weeks (or sooner if someone else gets better information).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2018 at 9:48 AM, Driad said:

Preempted here too, and I can't find it on Youtube, likely because it was a rerun. Does anyone know the original air date?  adTHANKSvance!

According to the listings for my area: 

Episode: Tournament of Champions: Week 2 / S34, E49 (First Aired: Nov. 16, 2017)

Also, I see what you did there.

• Love 2

My channel showed Day 1 last night (Friday night).  It comes on here at 7:30, Monday - Saturday, so I'm curious if it will be Day 2 tonight.  

Edited to add, Day 2 on tonight!  Happy camper here. 

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

"So" <drink>, anyone who skipped the tournaments during the regular season is spoiled for the college tournament since the winner was in the ToC. 

I'll just rewatch the episodes with the young lady Alli Ross that attends my alma mater, WPI. She did quite well and represented my old school quite nicely. 

• Love 4

Weren't there two college winners in the ToC, Sam and Lily?  Or am I totally confused?

I started watching Tuesday's game but remembered how much I hated Thatcher so turned it off.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I'll just rewatch the episodes with the young lady Alli Ross that attends my alma mater, WPI. She did quite well and represented my old school quite nicely. 

I liked Alli aswell and I think she would had won the tourney had she not got stumped on that Final Jeopardy in her semi finals. 

• Love 2

During the college tourney rerun yesterday I was tickled with myself that I remembered and said out loud the answer to this clue (paraphrased here) about a transplant, a person donated this organ to his sibling. We all know that answer: It's HEART!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

During the college tourney rerun yesterday I was tickled with myself that I remembered and said out loud the answer to this clue (paraphrased here) about a transplant, a person donated this organ to his sibling. We all know that answer: It's HEART!

LOL I got it right this time:)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

My boyfriend hadn’t seen this when it originally aired and made that joke and died when the person said it.

• Love 3
On 8/21/2018 at 2:33 PM, biakbiak said:

My boyfriend hadn’t seen this when it originally aired and made that joke and died when the person said it.

Luckily, you were there to transplant your heart into him, thereby saving his life. Good for you! *drink*

• Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Luckily, you were there to transplant your heart into him, thereby saving his life. Good for you! *drink*

Nah, I am too smart for that so he is no longer with us!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Darn it, I made the same mistake on FJ that I did the first time the episode was shown.  I said Gettysburg :-( 

I was excited that I was going to get it correct this time. I didn't have a clue watching the first time, but now I knew the answer was Gettysburg.

Well, I was one step closer to correct than I was first time around, so there's that. Baby steps, like they say.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Today is the start of the Teacher's Tournament. 

Reminds me of something I meant to ask here....

Lots of teachers appear in the regular shows, so how is it decided which 15 go into the tournament?

• Love 1

No Jeopardy on Friday or Saturday (stupid football, and then one of those "don't you feel sorry for the children so you'll send a donation" programs on Saturday., But they broadcast the College Final Sunday morning, 12:35 a.m.  So I recorded and rewatched.  I'd forgotten how much I liked the champ, and what a runaway it was for him.  

22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Re: The teachers -- I thought teachers applied specifically for the tournament, and were not in the general pool of contestants?

Teachers go through the same process as a regular contestant they just make a note of it at the audition if you are a teacher.

Teens and college students apply differently. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Teachers go through the same process as a regular contestant they just make a note of it at the audition if you are a teacher.

At the audition, they tell the teachers that they are also eligible to be picked for the Teachers Tournament as well as for the regular show.  How they decide which teachers are chosen for the tournament and which for the regular show is a secret known only to the contestant coordinators.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

At the audition, they tell the teachers that they are also eligible to be picked for the Teachers Tournament as well as for the regular show.  How they decide which teachers are chosen for the tournament and which for the regular show is a secret known only to the contestant coordinators.

Thanks for the info!  I don't know why I thought the Teacher's Tournament was like the others.

• Love 1

Does anyone else remember when there was a Seniors Tournament?  I can't remember what age you had to be.  I do however, remember how much I hated the college tournament winner.  SHOUTY!

• Love 1

Watching the Teachers Tournament re-run, Alex asks contestant Bob during his interview about rapping the countries of the world "How many countries ARE there in the world"?  Bob said he couldn't answer that question, but I note that Alex didn't offer the answer either.  I wonder if Alex was "winging it" and didn't know himself, and got caught by it when Bob couldn't answer.  Alex needs to heed the advice given to aspiring trial lawyers:  Don't ask questions you yourself don't know the answer to.  The answer, BTW, is 195.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tunia said:

Watching the Teachers Tournament re-run, Alex asks contestant Bob during his interview about rapping the countries of the world "How many countries ARE there in the world"?  Bob said he couldn't answer that question, but I note that Alex didn't offer the answer either.  I wonder if Alex was "winging it" and didn't know himself, and got caught by it when Bob couldn't answer.  Alex needs to heed the advice given to aspiring trial lawyers:  Don't ask questions you yourself don't know the answer to.  The answer, BTW, is 195.

196 sovereign countries.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

196 sovereign countries.

Ahhh - I was going by this:  http://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/, but see other references to 196.  I concede!  And that's why I'm not on Jeopardy!  LOL

BTW, is anyone else missing their edit/quote/quotemultiple, heart buttons and the forum buttons from the top of page?  I periodically lose them (such as now) and have to guess and click on spaces to accomplish a task.

Edited by Tunia
9 hours ago, Tunia said:

Ahhh - I was going by this:  http://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/, but see other references to 196.  I concede!  And that's why I'm not on Jeopardy!  LOL

BTW, is anyone else missing their edit/quote/quotemultiple, heart buttons and the forum buttons from the top of page?  I periodically lose them (such as now) and have to guess and click on spaces to accomplish a task.

I haven't had that problem, but some browsers are more erratic than others. So it could be that. Also, the typical IT first pass solution is to clear your cache (which works an amazing amount of the time), but I have no idea if it has anything to do with your problems.

9 hours ago, Tunia said:

As this page: https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/how-many-countries-are-there-world-2018 shows, there are varying answers to that question.  It all depends on exactly how you define "country," which can sometimes be a rather controversial decision.

https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name

I've learned all 196 by doing this quiz multiple times.  Hints: DPRK works for North Korea, ROK for South K.  PNG for Papua New Guinea and you can type "paraguy" and "uruguy" without the A and still be correct. I always omit the Z in Kyrgystan and it still gives it to me as correct. "Congo" gives you both countries with Congo in their names. UAE and CAR work as abbreviations, too, but DR doesn't work for Dominican Republic. I have the most trouble remembering Singapore and Kuwait. At the bottom of the map it says "show missing countries" - click on that, and you get a black dot where each country is. I've spent hours at this site.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I haven't had that problem, but some browsers are more erratic than others. So it could be that. Also, the typical IT first pass solution is to clear your cache (which works an amazing amount of the time), but I have no idea if it has anything to do with your problems.

For whatever reason, all items are back today without doing anything, but that's typical...they seem to come and go without reason.  Thanks for responding.

58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've learned all 196 by doing this quiz multiple times

Oh my - even worse than I thought I was.  This could be a great memory training device!

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

As this page: https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/how-many-countries-are-there-world-2018 shows, there are varying answers to that question.  It all depends on exactly how you define "country," which can sometimes be a rather controversial decision.

Interesting.  Thanks, MrAtoz.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've learned all 196 by doing this quiz multiple times.  Hints: DPRK works for North Korea, ROK for South K.  PNG for Papua New Guinea and you can type "paraguy" and "uruguy" without the A and still be correct. I always omit the Z in Kyrgystan and it still gives it to me as correct. "Congo" gives you both countries with Congo in their names. UAE and CAR work as abbreviations, too, but DR doesn't work for Dominican Republic. I have the most trouble remembering Singapore and Kuwait. At the bottom of the map it says "show missing countries" - click on that, and you get a black dot where each country is. I've spent hours at this site.

I also learned all 196 by doing that quiz over and over again. And the world capitals one, although that one took me MUCH longer to master.

• Love 1