Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Greekgeek - original production of Fiorello was in late 1959 just before I was born. Grew up listening to the cast album which opens with a siren which got me up and moving as a toddler.  Favorite two songs are Politics and Poker and Little Tin Box - learned those lyrics way before I knew what they meant.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm with you on this. We could tag team the judges.

I said hijacking yesterday too, so I'm officially giving myself credit for another TS get. 

Uhhhh, today's game was, uhhhh, a little, uhhhh, hard to, uhhhhh, watch. Sorry if my yelling at my TV to stop saying "Uhhh" distracted you during your viewing. I'm sure all of you heard me from Southern AZ.

Other than my annoyance, I had a very good game. My gets were recovered, deacon, Jim Dandy, credenza, Costa Rica, Harry Blackmun, and, Jerusalem, position, Peabody, and FJ in an instaget.

I wanted Sharron to win just because I loved the way she said Hernan Cortes. I think she'd have given Trebek a run for his money with the accents. Of course, I'm impressed by anyone who can roll an 'R' since I have never been able to do it.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, teebax said:

I wanted Sharron to win just because I loved the way she said Hernan Cortes. I think she'd have given Trebek a run for his money with the accents. Of course, I'm impressed by anyone who can roll an 'R' since I have never been able to do it.

Me, too!  Also, she didn't sway like Michelle did, though Michelle toned it down a bit for the second round.

FJ was an instaget for me tonight as well.  I also got the TS of recovered, deacon, Jim, Blackmun, and and.  Which is a weird way to end a sentence.  :)

Eclipse should have had a BMS -- you can have a solar or a lunar eclipse.  Solar eclipses come at the new moon -- at the full moon, the moon is opposite the sun in the sky.

Did the Jurassic Park clue specify which movie?  I was terribly confused, since there was no military at the end of the first one, and I didn't recall seeing a number after the title of the movie in the clue.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, teebax said:

I wanted Sharron to win just because I loved the way she said Hernan Cortes. I think she'd have given Trebek a run for his money with the accents.

I totally loved her for that. It was a Trebek burn, whether he knew it or not.

• Love 9
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did the Jurassic Park clue specify which movie?  I was terribly confused, since there was no military at the end of the first one, and I didn't recall seeing a number after the title of the movie in the clue.

The category was Literary Oops, so had to be the book not any movie version, no?  I never read the novel to know if it otherwise fits the clue.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 3
(edited)

Bu-bye, Swaying j?e.  

31 minutes ago, ABay said:

I was also rooting for Sharron after she out-accented Trebek. But I'm fine with the one who won.

This ^^^^  Although Michelle's pronunciation of The Hague as "hog" bugged me no end.  Another example of someone who's seen the word but has never heard it pronounced.

I got Jim (Dandy), credenza (tabernacle?  WTF?), Costa Rica, and Jerusalem.

I know less than nothing about chess, or those languages apparently, so I guessed rook for FJ.

We had a "good for you".  Drink!  ???

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6

The returning champ answered "Ellen" for dancing talk show host and AT quickly said "yes, Ellen DeGeneres." Ok, we all know that the champ would have gotten her last name, heck even my dog knew it, but it chaps me that AT didn't ask him to BMS before volunteering her last name. Basically, everything AT does chaps me. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I had remembered that Costa Rica didn't have a standing army so I got that. I I hadn't heard of the word origin of credenza, but I knew what it was looking at it. 

13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Jim (Dandy), credenza (tabernacle?  WTF?), Costa Rica, and Jerusalem.

I know less than nothing about chess, or those languages apparently, so I guessed rook for FJ.

Joe guessed tabernacle after AT mentioned the religious usage, but it's still a dumb guess, I agree. As for FJ, I happened to know that rainha is Portuguese for queen. It was part of my Spanish class where we did comparisons between the Spanish and Portuguese languages. Reina is Spanish for queen. Also, rainha, malka, and kouva all end in "a" suggesting it is a feminine noun so the queen would be the choice. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 10

I liked the CO category. It made you stop and think.

For FJ yesterday about the fictional character obituary...is everyone ready for a laugh? I guessed Dorian Gray. The part in the clue about vanity and...I don't know. I'll see myself out.

• Love 5

They couldn't come up with a single female name for that "Call Me by Your Name Category"?  Like black-eyed Susan or Queen Anne's lace or Bloody Mary?  I thought of three in the time it took me to type them.  It's like they're trying hard not to.

Get off my Santa Ana grass! (I had to look that one up.  Took another thirty seconds.)

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, SHD said:

For FJ yesterday about the fictional character obituary...is everyone ready for a laugh? I guessed Dorian Gray.

Someone upthread guessed Dorian as well. I don't know if he had a mustache, but he was certainly vain. So, not a bad guess.

And yes, to the poster who commented on it, Walter White had a published obit too. "Breaking Bad" fans took out an obituary in the Albuquerque Journal for him. Here is Poirot's obit in the New York Times.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Bu-bye, Swaying j?e.  

This ^^^^  Although Michelle's pronunciation of The Hague as "hog" bugged me no end.  Another example of someone who's seen the word but has never heard it pronounced.

We had a "good for you".  Drink!  ???

I'm often guilty of the seen the word/never heard it thing. But Hague looks the way it's pronounced, so that was a weird one. 

I also guessed rook.

• Love 2

Add me to the hijacking list from yesterday's game.  I think we're all correct.  

Bye, Joe.  I, uh, won't, uh, miss, uh, you.  Or your swaying.  I wanted to smack him during his introduction.

My only get tonight was jim (dandy).  In my defense, I was making out my grocery list.  Probably the same reason I shouted out crescendo, instead of credenza.  lol

I did get FJ, having never played a game of chess in my life.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Add me to the hijacking list from yesterday's game.  I think we're all correct.  

Bye, Joe.  I, uh, won't, uh, miss, uh, you.  Or your swaying.  I wanted to smack him during his introduction.

My only get tonight was jim (dandy).  In my defense, I was making out my grocery list.  Probably the same reason I shouted out crescendo, instead of credenza.  lol

I did get FJ, having never played a game of chess in my life.

If you were making out your grocery list while watching, I'm surprised you didn't shout out Slim Jim's instead of Jim Dandy and Croissants instead of credenza! And when the contestant answered The Hog you could have countered with Bacon! Sorry, I had a massage today and am loopy!

• Love 4

Given the clue, I half-expected the response for precocious to be the same way Gollum says Precious. Austin and those like him would have done that. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Given the clue, I half-expected the response for precocious to be the same way Gollum says Precious. Austin and those like him would have done that. I was pleasantly surprised. 

I would've thrown something at my TV if that had happened.

• Love 3

Pretty good game tonight. I got Jim Dandy, And (Bible verse opener), Jerusalem, the Pritsker Prize and the FJ. My first thought was maybe rook, but the more I looked at the words and said them out loud to myself, I realized the second one sounded like reina (Spanish for queen) and that they were all feminine. I had enough time to cross out rook and write queen.

I like the new champ and won't miss Joe.

• Love 3

New champ got a clue something like what conjunction is the first word in X verses of Genesis.  IIRC the word she said was not a conjunction.  Nervous, presumably.  

Bye bye, ketchup tie!

• Love 2
On 6/5/2018 at 10:08 PM, teebax said:

I know the new champ was wearing Cavs colors, but they looked like the ASU colors, so I disliked him immediately.

Oh wow I had no idea why he'd gone with that combination! It was not easy on my eyes...

There were some good categories today. I thought the literary oops and prize packages ones were particularly fun. "CO" was interesting but not enough time for my brain to work out.

The only TS I got was Jim. FJ was an instaget because of the "rainha". I was rooting for Sharon and her Spanish pronunciation.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Someone upthread guessed Dorian as well. I don't know if he had a mustache, but he was certainly vain. So, not a bad guess.

And yes, to the poster who commented on it, Walter White had a published obit too. "Breaking Bad" fans took out an obituary in the Albuquerque Journal for him. Here is Poirot's obit in the New York Times.

In fact, I think I even remember Jeopardy once having a Final Jeopardy clue about Walter White’s obit!

Aha, here it is! From the October 7, 2014 game:

FAUXBITUARIES: He received a real obituary in the Albuquerque Journal in 2013 noting his "long battle with lung cancer"

What is really funny is one of them also guessed Mark Twain for that one too!!

• Love 8

I saw Fiorello on B'way and loved it ("Little old New York is plenty good enough for me, good enough for me...") 

That was an oops. Little Old New York is from the musical Tenderloin <thunking head on keyboard>. I did see Fiorello. And Tenderloin :)

No, he wrote the music for A Chorus Line.

Yes, I know. I actually worked tech on A Chorus Line during one of its out-of-town runs (Tulsa). That's when I learned the cast doesn't know who is going to be chosen until the end of the show (except for Cassie). I also saw the original cast on B'way. The Jeptestant guessed Hair when the answer was A Chorus Line, so I was trying to make a joke. I should have said Marvin Carson :)

• Love 6
(edited)

I was rooting for Sharron, but Michelle was good too. I don;t mind Joe at all, he's a good player, and his swaying wasn't as bad today. I didn't even notice the stammering, TBH.

TS I got were deacon, Jim Dandy, and, Jerusalem, position. FJ was an instaget. 

The "CO" category was fun, but I didn't have time to work most of them out. If I couldn't get it instantly, I didn't even try. The only 2 I got were deacon & precocious.

We got a good for you - drink! - and Alex finally wised up & said someone could win a lot of money instead of will win a lot of money. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7

I had no idea that Agatha Christie had killed off the character, so I had no reason to think he'd have a obit in the paper.

She actually wrote his final book during World War II just in case something happened to her and the manuscript was stored in a vault for over thirty years.  Heh, I think I actually scared my Mom a little when I told her I knew it was published in 1975. Its just one of those facts I always remember. 

• Love 5

That CO category was tough, but fun. I was so proud of myself for getting 'deacon', but now I see basically everyone here did, as well! That clue was followed by 'Jim Dandy', which may have been the first time I got back-to-back TS. 

Add me to those who said 'hijacking'. I was a kid during those peak years, but the media always referred to the crime as hijacking, IIRC, not skyjacking. That term came later, as far as popular usage. So I think we're all correct.

I also was rooting for Sharron, after she outaccented Alex! I wonder if he was miffed by that? 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

They couldn't come up with a single female name for that "Call Me by Your Name Category"?  Like black-eyed Susan or Queen Anne's lace or Bloody Mary?  I thought of three in the time it took me to type them.  It's like they're trying hard not to.

You should know by now that if they did that, the category would have to be "Call Me by Your Female Name." This show doesn't mix the sexes. Maybe we should add it to our drinking game when (and if) they do.

• Love 6

Although Michelle's pronunciation of The Hague as "hog" bugged me no end.  Another example of someone who's seen the word but has never heard it pronounced.

Well...in Dutch, it's closer to Hog than how we tend to pronounce it in English, at least if you believe the internet

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You should know by now that if they did that, the category would have to be "Call Me by Your Female Name." This show doesn't mix the sexes. Maybe we should add it to our drinking game when (and if) they do.

Or "Call Me By Her Name". And definitely an addition to our drinking game. 

• Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I used to see Greta Garbo on a regular basis when I worked in the UN neighborhood--she lived nearby, and she'd visit the local produce stand to smell melons and squeeze tomatoes.  She was pretty elderly at the time, but in color she looked much the same as when she was young.  I'd never recognize her in black and white, though.  Kind of like Superman wearing glasses.

How cool that you saw her in person. However, I don't think I'd recognize her in color because I've only seen her in B&W.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Even though the category was about the books, I wonder if the Richard Attenbourgh character called the Costa Rican military to help once the phone lines were restored.

18 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Also, rainha, malka, and kouva all end in "a" suggesting it is a feminine noun so the queen would be the choice. 

That's how I got there. Pretty much right away I thought it's either king or queen, so the A's helped out.

13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

, I know. I actually worked tech on A Chorus Line during one of its out-of-town runs (Tulsa). That's when I learned the cast doesn't know who is going to be chosen until the end of the show (except for Cassie). I also saw the original cast on B'way. The Jeptestant guessed Hair when the answer was A Chorus Line, so I was trying to make a joke. I should have said Marvin Carson :)

Ah. I hate when I miss that someone was joking. Sorry about that.

13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We got a good for you - drink! 

There were two "good for you's", one during the interviews and the other before then when Michelle answered something correctly.

TSs I got were deacon, Jim (Dandy), credenza, and Costa Rica. I said Blackburn, instead of Blackmun.

Like others here, Who is Ellen? bugged me. I was also a bit bothered by the answer of THE Black Panther. I think it's just Black Panther.

I didn't know that bobby pins were a British term. I call them bobby pins (though I don't talk about them much at all). However, my mother was English. :shrug:

I want to see Michelle's flying robots.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know that bobby pins were a British term. I call them bobby pins (though I don't talk about them much at all). However, my mother was English. :shrug:

Bobby pins are kirby grips or hair grips in the UK. In the U.S. they are bobby pins. So we're good calling them that!

42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Like others here, Who is Ellen?

If Trebek has to make the answer clear by adding the last (or first) name, then BMS is needed. Like for the Ellen answer.

43 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I want to see Michelle's flying robots.

This caught my interest as I just re-read Patricia Cornwell's Port Mortuary, which has to deal with a man being murdered by a flying insect-like robot that was being developed as a weapon by the government. Sounds like Trebek might have read the same book due to his insistence that the CIA was involved. And the contestant's reluctance to comment on his spec.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If Trebek has to make the answer clear by adding the last (or first) name, then BMS is needed. Like for the Ellen answer.

Ellen Carson

Unless someone upthread beat me to that one ;)

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Or "Call Me By Her Name". And definitely an addition to our drinking game. 

We all know it would be "Call Me By My Woman Name." 

• Love 7

Mid-game today, and I need reassurance that I don't need to shuffle off to the nursing home. TS's on a reference to the iconic Beverly Hillbillies theme song, plus one of the most famous TV actors of the 1970s, Carroll O'Connor. (The "Archie Bunker for President" buttons were popular in my school. Kind of funny to think about those now...)

Just venting a little. Back to my rocking chair now.

• Love 21
23 hours ago, teebax said:

Uhhhh, today's game was, uhhhh, a little, uhhhh, hard to, uhhhhh, watch. Sorry if my yelling at my TV to stop saying "Uhhh" distracted you during your viewing. I'm sure all of you heard me from Southern AZ.

Another game chock full of uhhhhs tonight. Otherwise, very impressive game, and I like the new (Canadian) champ. He reminds me of someone.

I was pretty surprised at the TSs of Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor. I can see not being able to name O'Connor, but the Beverly Hillbillies with the theme song referenced in the clue? And yes, Alex, those shows are before my time, too.

• Love 10

Something was off tonight as I got too many TS’ers. I got William, Winston-Salem, water spaniel! The Beverly Hillbillies, Caroll O'Connor,Geneva, Lake Pontchartrain (which IMHO Alex enunciated incorrectly. Having lived and borne a child I fell qualified to locally we did not say it his way), Oliver Twist, Oliver Twist, David Cooperfield (Can you tell that I like(d) Dickens?), and Delmonte. Lol Kathy24...I haven’t heard a lot of Prince so that was a tough category for me (head in hung in shame although I did get 3 correct). No idea about the Little Red Corvette. 

Sorry I missed y’all yesterday. I was literally off the grid. 

• Love 9

Rubaco - maybe we can be roommates at the home because I was right there with you on Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor.  Also while I was impressed with the new champ, I kept wondering if his parents allowed him to travel by himself because he looked 12 to me. 

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, Fex said:

I was pretty surprised at the TSs of Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor. I can see not being able to name O'Connor, but the Beverly Hillbillies with the theme song referenced in the clue? And yes, Alex, those shows are before my time, too.

I got those and the two missed Dickens ones. Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. I also got Al Michaels and Lake Pontchartrain. It was in the news during Hurricane Katrina. 

For FJ, I saw avibus and it made me think of aviation and birds so it was a guess on that. 

2 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I couldn't believe they missed Little Red Corvette. I also got the tv decades category that they missed.

I was shocked too. There was Andy's guess of just "Purple" instead of "Purple Rain." I didn't feel too bad when he ended in the red, but I can see why he guessed "Walk Like a Egyptian" instead of" Manic Monday" and that hurt him.  The answer "Party like it's 1999" is incorrect. The song is "1999." I'm surprised no one said "Raspberry Beret" or "Let's Go Crazy." 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Fex said:

Another game chock full of uhhhhs tonight. Otherwise, very impressive game, and I like the new (Canadian) champ. He reminds me of someone.

The new champ reminded me a little of Chris Gethard. The previous champ reminded me of Alex Dunphy (the character).

The guy who ended in the red...he shouldn't have bet more on the DD than he could make up with the last remaining clue to get in the black.

We've had a couple of days of contestants who avoid the pop culture categories like the plague. As it turns out, for good reason. But those are usually my best categories.

• Love 9

Talk about Toddler Jeopardy!

I got William, Al Michaels, The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O'Connor (those two made me sad), Lake Pontchartrain, Little Red Corvette, Banana Republic (DD), and Del Monte.

32 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Lake Pontchartrain (which IMHO Alex enunciated incorrectly. Having lived and borne a child I fell qualified to locally we did not say it his way)

I've driven over that causeway several times (it's terrifying) and worked for several clients in New Orleans and never heard anyone pronounce it the way Alex did either.  At least he didn't try to somehow Frenchify it.

I thought FJ had to do with birds but couldn't come up with the answer.

• Love 13
(edited)

Trebek goofed up with the clue that asked for the metal used in developing film and the player answered "silver nitrate." Trebek said they asked for the METAL and silver nitrate is not a metal. He neglected to give the answer, which is simply silver. Commercial photo lab darkrooms have silver recovery units that the used chemicals are run through to extract the silver that is then sold. Occasionally, the silver "disappears."

I thought everyone knew Lake Ponchartrain, even if they've never been to NOLA. The thing is huuuge, and stands out on a map if anyone cares to look at one. And yeah, the causeway is terrifying.

I got Little Red Corvette, Banana Republic, American Water Spaniel and of course The Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor. It's odd Trebek said the players were "Too Young To Remember" those last two, even though they weren't too young to remember the Emperor Frederick II. Well, one anyway.

My FJ of Falconology was close but not a real word as it turns out. The Latin speakers here were at a strong advantage with that clue.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 13
50 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also while I was impressed with the new champ, I kept wondering if his parents allowed him to travel by himself because he looked 12 to me. 

lol  I also thought he looked to be about 12.  I like him. 

Tonight I got The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O'Connor, Pontchartrain, and Oliver Twist. 

No clue for FJ.

• Love 6

When Alex comforted the players that The Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor were before their time, I paused the recording and ranted to my husband, "The Civil War is before my time, but it was in all the papers!"  So imagine our hysterical laughter when "The Civil War" came up as a category in DJ.

Also, he knows Latin and I don't so much, but he assured me that Venandi means hunting (hence venison), so even though I got ornithology, it seemed more logical for the "science" to be falconry.  (Wikipedia confirms that it's about both falconry and ornithology.)

I was impressed that the new champ got The Pickwick Papers.  It might be my favorite Dickens novel, but my sense is that it isn't read that much.  Which could be totally off base.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was impressed that the new champ got The Pickwick Papers.  It might be my favorite Dickens novel, but my sense is that it isn't read that much.  Which could be totally off base.

Yes! There were crickets for Oliver Twist and David Copperfield but one of them knew The Pickwick Papers?!

• Love 10

I’m not at home, so I didn’t get tot write down my TS, but it seemed like there were an awful lot of them. 

I was also sad (and a little surprised) that Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O’Connor were TS, though. 

For FJ, “avi” led me to birds, which led me to ornithology.  But it still was just a guess.

And I agree that the causeway over Ponchartrain is terrifying!  Pretty cool, but terrifying.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

When Alex comforted the players that The Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O'Connor were before their time, I paused the recording and ranted to my husband, "The Civil War is before my time, but it was in all the papers!"  So imagine our hysterical laughter when "The Civil War" came up as a category in DJ.

Seriously, why doesn't he say that about the history categories? When they got William II wrong, I wish they would've said, "Sorry Alex, that was before my time."

A lot of wtf answers tonight. Although I would love to hear Prince's version of "Little Deuce Coupe". LOL

• Love 12
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Mid-game today, and I need reassurance that I don't need to shuffle off to the nursing home. TS's on a reference to the iconic Beverly Hillbillies theme song, plus one of the most famous TV actors of the 1970s, Carroll O'Connor. (The "Archie Bunker for President" buttons were popular in my school. Kind of funny to think about those now...)

Just venting a little. Back to my rocking chair now.

Oh my god those people tonight sucked on TV and pop culture.  Drew Carey instead of Seinfeld?  All those clues were so easy.  And the Prince category they pretty much sucked at as well

But on the Price answer When Doves Cry, it reminded me of my ex from college who thought the song was titled When Doves Fly

• Love 7