Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was watching an ancient Johnny Carson rerun last night.  They were making Gerald Ford is Clumsy jokes (ah!  The good old days!) and the Amazing Randi was one of the guests.  I thought of y'all.

Carson's show is how I knew The Amazing Randi too. If I'd known he was on yesterday's rerun, I would have tuned in. Carson had the most interesting guests, not just people hawking their latest movie like today's talk shows. Kreskin also was on Carson. I remember once they spent a lot of time, and even cut to commercial, waiting for Kreskin to bend that spoon.

• Love 3

Toothbrush - I would say I would fight you for Jesse L. Martin but since I am old enough to have seen Jerry Orbach in the original production of Chicago (and to remember Bobby Kennedy's assassination), you could probably take me. ?

Was glad to have two Michiganders in the same game, sorry to see them lose but at least Indiana is nearby.

• Love 6

Lydia oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia....

I know that is originally a Groucho Marx song, but Kermit is singing in my head now.

FJ must have been pretty easy. I'm not American and I got it instantly. Picture of Teddy Roosevelt, alliteration, instaget!

Loved the Canadian celeb category. Tatiana Maslany is a national treasure!

• Love 14

Congrats to Jack!  Impressive win and good wagering.  Egads, first we had mush mouth Emily and today we had clenched jaw Ashley.  I'm so glad she lost.  I couldn't understand her answers at all.

I got "burning the candle at both ends", antique, porcelain, and CD.

They must be practicing for the Teen Tournament.  FJ was beyond an instaget.

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, Fex said:

I sang that to a dog in class last week, first dog I've met named Lydia.

FJ was so easy, all I had to see was the date and the horses, didn't need TR at all.

I got the TSs of burning the candle at both ends and bisque = porcelain. It struck me that my list would be WAY longer if I listed the answered clues that I did not know. Thank you players for saving me embarrassment.

Mostly today I found Trebek to be a jackass. He told one player she didn't have to say how beautiful Kauai is because WE ALL KNOW HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS. Well, maybe you do Trebek, you're a multi-millionaire who can travel on the company dime. I'll never see any Hawaiian island, much less Kauai, or any other place, beautiful or not. So, stuff it Trebek.

Then he started sniping at Daniel, saying at FJ that he ONLY won X amount but today people could win more than Daniel did yesterday. Plus Daniel, in last place but still with $7,000 or some such, was told "You're gonna hafta get lucky" in FJ while he tells other third-place competitors (maybe just the women?) that they are "still alive," even when other players have WAY more money.

I thought Daniel seemed like a nice guy but Trebek made it clear he didn't think so. Trebek also made it clear he's a tool.

I know ... surprise. Not.

• Love 13

I will freely admit that Rough Riders did not come to me instantly -- I knew Teddy Roosevelt, and the Riders part came immediately, but my brain just did not want to let go of Rough.  I did get it in time to write it down, though.  The photo was a dead giveaway.  Yay, Jack!  Ashley with her upspeak during her interview bugged me.  But I kind of thought it was amusing that she got Twelve Oaks, since that's Ashley Wilkes' plantation in GWTW. 

I was surprised they didn't get burning the candle at both ends, and a little surprised they missed CD-ROM, though I wonder if just CD would have gotten a BMS.  I also got Pop, porcelain and St. Paul, though that was a guess. 

Overall I thought it was a good game! 

• Love 6

Either tonight's game was pretty easy, or just happened to hit on a bunch of stuff I know, because I had very few misses.  At any rate, it was an enjoyable game.

The contestants suck at physics, wow.  I wish I could say that surprised me.

Antique as a TS, on the other hand, did surprise me, but maybe they thought there was a doll-specific term the clue was referring to, rather than just stating the general rule about what can be called an antique.

Near-mint was ridiculously easy as a DD; that’s another thing not at all specific to doll collecting.  Active and passive was also too simple for a DD, I thought.  And don't get me started on FJ. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I got the Amazing Randi right away.  I have to admit I was surprised he's still alive.  I'm a baby boomer and remember watching him on Wonderama when I was a kid; and I'm talking about the Sonny Fox hosted years!  I had to look him up to check.  He turns 90 this coming August.

How has The Amazing Randi escaped me? I need to google a bunch. I watched a lot of Carson, so I've probably seen him but somehow forgot him.

2 hours ago, Fex said:

I was sure the next category was going to be Tattoos.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The contestants suck at physics, wow.  I wish I could say that surprised me.

I suck at physics, too. Some of the answers were like Greek to me.

TSs I got were burning candles at both ends, antique, Pop, Henry V, and Paul. Instead of porcelain, I said clay. Not sure how that would have been received.

FJ was way too easy. 

• Love 8

Mostly today I found Trebek to be a jackass. 

He worked my nerves by proclaiming "Magazines are going out of style". Digital magazine content remains popular; it's the print format that's in decline, Smarty Pants.

I only got one TS today - CD-ROM. FJ was an instaget. I wonder why they felt the need to add the hint about alliteration for a FJ clue??

I liked all 3 contestants. I was rooting for Ashley but the champ whose name I can't remember made a great comeback.

• Love 6

I thought "running out of gas" was just as acceptable as "burning the candle at both ends".  They both refer to old-time power/energy/light sources and being tired.  I don't recall the exact wording of the question/answer though. 

For the bisque doll question, I said china.  Hanging head in shame, since I watch a lot of Antiques Roadshow and should know the difference.

• Love 7

Great game! I was sorry that smiley Daniel was a one & done (but guessing Pittsburgh as a midwestern city had me smh), but Jack seems smart, pleasant, knows how to wager, and only board hops to leave a category he is not comfortable with. Having said that, he got lucky to uncover all 3 DDs, and for them to be relatively easy. 

I ran "H On The Map", but just when I was feeling smart, the only Hoops question I got was the Kim Kardashian one. I also ran the Canadian Performers category (thank you for the Ryan Reynolds pic, writers). TS I got were burning the candle at both ends, antique, porcelain, St. Paul, thermonuclear. FJ was crazy easy to us at casa Toothbrush.

3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Toothbrush - I would say I would fight you for Jesse L. Martin but since I am old enough to have seen Jerry Orbach in the original production of Chicago (and to remember Bobby Kennedy's assassination), you could probably take me. ?

Well, my parents got married the year RFK was assassinated, so I guess you have a few years on me. But no one can be counted out when fighting for Jesse!!

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Mostly today I found Trebek to be a jackass. He told one player she didn't have to say how beautiful Kauai is because WE ALL KNOW HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS. Well, maybe you do Trebek, you're a multi-millionaire who can travel on the company dime. I'll never see any Hawaiian island, much less Kauai, or any other place, beautiful or not. So, stuff it Trebek.

Then he started sniping at Daniel, saying at FJ that he ONLY won X amount but today people could win more than Daniel did yesterday. Plus Daniel, in last place but still with $7,000 or some such, was told "You're gonna hafta get lucky" in FJ while he tells other third-place competitors (maybe just the women?) that they are "still alive," even when other players have WAY more money.

I thought Daniel seemed like a nice guy but Trebek made it clear he didn't think so. Trebek also made it clear he's a tool.

I know ... surprise. Not.

AT was definitely a douche today, which I'm pretty sure is included in our drinking &/or bingo games. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

But I kind of thought it was amusing that she got Twelve Oaks, since that's Ashley Wilkes' plantation in GWTW. 

I didn't even think of that. All I could think of were siblings Ashley & Jack Abbott on The Young & the Restless. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I ran "H On The Map", but just when I was feeling smart, the only Hoops question I got was the Kim Kardashian one.

That was one of my few misses tonight, as my answer was, "Some Kardashian other than Kim."  I've only heard about her marriage to Kanye West, and I'm almost positive I've heard about one of the others being with an athlete, so I thought it was one of the K-something siblings I don't know by name.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I thought "running out of gas" was just as acceptable as "burning the candle at both ends".  They both refer to old-time power/energy/light sources and being tired.  I don't recall the exact wording of the question/answer though. 

For the bisque doll question, I said china.  Hanging head in shame, since I watch a lot of Antiques Roadshow and should know the difference.

I don't remember the exact wording either, but the term "pre-industrial" was part of the clue, so that's probably why "running out of gas" wasn't acceptable.  I did get the right answer for that one, but for bisque, I said ceramic.  Not sure if that would have worked.

Edited by Kerri Okie
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

I don't remember the exact wording either, but the term "pre-industrial" was part of the clue,

Via the J! archive: "Meaning to exhaust one's energy & resources, it sounds like quickly using up a pre-industrial light source."

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That was one of my few misses tonight, as my answer was, "Some Kardashian other than Kim."  I've only heard about her marriage to Kanye West, and I'm almost positive I've heard about one of the others being with an athlete, so I thought it was one of the K-something siblings I don't know by name.

Kanye is marriage #3 for Kim, but Khloe was married to Lamar Odom who is/was a basketball player, and is having a baby with another basketball player very soon. Kendall (Jenner) is also dating a basketball player. Kim & Kris' marriage lasted 72 days, and for a while a 72 day period of time was known as a Kardashian. I know all of this without ever having seen an episode of any of their shows, but 2 hours ago opened the linen closet & forget what it was I needed to get. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 12

I spaced out during the Ryan Reynolds clue, so thanks for pointing out there was a picture for me to rewind and see @Toothbrush!

I love Funko Pops so the TS made me sad. Too bad they didn’t use a Deadpool Pop as an image for it.

I am going to wander off now and think of how to make a full board of Ryan Reynolds clues  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Fex said:

Loved the Canadian celeb category. Tatiana Maslany is an INTERnational treasure!

Fixed that for you!  She's been in the clue or the answer about 3 times now, which is pretty awesome for the star of a Canadian/BBCAmerica science fiction show

• Love 5
On 4/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, M. Darcy said:

I thought FJ was easy - it was obviously a Kennedy and only RFK ran a Department. 

I recognized RFK, and since he was Attorney General - which amazed me as I learned about the Kennedy administration (being a mere child at the time ;) ). I couldn't believe JFK managed to install him as Attorney General. Now I do.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, saber5055 said:

I got 3-point landing and Culloden. It pays to be Scottish ... sometimes.

Or be a Diane Gabaldon or Outlander fan. Which is how I learned the date.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, teebax said:

I ran the Reese Witherspoon category, much to my surprise. I don't dislike her, and I love Election, but I didn't realize I'd seen so many of her movies.

I almost ran it - and did actually see Sweet Home Alabama, but I was bored by it and I guess it didn't stick in my mind.

On 4/2/2018 at 6:09 PM, GenerationX said:

Elizabeth had a great enthusiasm for the game, and I admired her going whole hog on her sooey call/response.

My husband gave a me a look when I did the same.

18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It was before my time, and I didn't remember that RFK had been Attorney General.  But I guessed Justice simply because nothing else sounded right to me.

They might've known who it was but didn't know what department he ran.

Do they not teach Civics/Government to these kids anymore? Pardon me, I'm grouchy this morning. I think I need to borrow a hat. And get off my lawn.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was sure the next category was going to be Tattoos.

LOL

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not too knowledgeable about the Kardashians, but I said Khloe. When Alex accepted 'Kim', I quickly googled because I was sure that was wrong. I forgot about her first marriage.

• Love 1
(edited)

Plus Daniel, in last place but still with $7,000 or some such, was told "You're gonna hafta get lucky" in FJ

Which is not even true.  You can win even if in 3rd place going if you either know the answer and the others don't and/or if you wager smarter than others.  Its not luck - it can be strategy.  

And, no one knew Henry V?  That just made me sad.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

can even pronounce Hebrides correctly!

I was surprised someone didn't know how to pronounce it.  But, then, I learned just recently that I've been mispronouncing "malachite" wrong all these years, until my son corrected me. Not that it comes up in conversation too often.

My ts's were antique, Henry V (thank you, BtVS) and St. Paul.

eta: For bisque I said pottery. I wonder if porcelain was the only acceptable response or if any sort of clay/china/ pottery would have been acceptable.

Did not get FJ.  I knew that was Teddy Roosevelt in the picture, knew it was his group that charged up San Juan Hill, but "rough riders" wouldn't come to my mind.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Trey said:

Did not get FJ.  I knew that was Teddy Roosevelt in the picture, knew it was his group that charged up San Juan Hill, but "rough riders" wouldn't come to my mind.

We'll forgive you. I can picture something in my mind and not be able to come up with its (very common) name. Well, it will come to me a hour later. It will happen to you guys too, when you get old.

12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

He worked my nerves by proclaiming "Magazines are going out of style". Digital magazine content remains popular; it's the print format that's in decline, Smarty Pants.

This irked me so much I blocked it. Because creating magazines (print ones!) is my business, it's how I make my living. Trebek was so full of jackassery yesterday, he can just git off my lawn. And stay off.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I ran the "H" on the Map category, too, and can even pronounce Hebrides correctly!  LOL

I guess since it's Scotland, pronunciations are more difficult. You know, like Culloden!

• Love 9

In the Big 12 category, if just plain Kansas was acceptable, then Iowa should also have been acceptable. 

There's a Kansas State University (the Big 12 school) and a University of Kansas -- same with Iowa.  Iowa State University is the Big 12 school, and the University of Iowa is not.

• Love 6

There's a Kansas State University (the Big 12 school) and a University of Kansas -- same with Iowa.  Iowa State University is the Big 12 school, and the University of Iowa is not.

Several states have a _____ State University and a University of _____ .  Is there a consistent distinction, maybe a historical one?

• Love 2

In the Big 12 category, if just plain Kansas was acceptable, then Iowa should also have been acceptable. 

Oh, I KNOW! This totally spazzed me out. When the player answered "Iowa," Trebek just said "NO" when he should have said BMS. There is only one Iowa school in Big 12, Iowa State in Ames. However, there are TWO Kansas schools in Big 12, University in Lawrence, State in Manhattan. Yet "Kansas" was an okay answer. But Kansas State would have been incorrect. So why not BMS for Kansas?

This was just so wrong. Yeah, I'm still mad.

Interestingly, there are only 10 schools in the Big 12. Go figure.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And there are 14 schools in the Big Ten.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, I KNOW! This totally spazzed me out. When the player answered "Iowa," Trebek just said "NO" when he should have said BMS. There is only one Iowa school in Big 12, Iowa State in Ames. However, there are TWO Kansas schools in Big 12, University in Lawrence, State in Manhattan. Yet "Kansas" was an okay answer. But Kansas State would have been incorrect. So why not BMS for Kansas?

This was just so wrong. Yeah, I'm still mad.

Yes, yes, and yes!  I was screaming at my TV!  Which college did Kit Carson attend?  Iowa or Kansas?  State or University?  WTF!?

Congrats again to Jack.  Michael was endearing, like a non-arrogant Sheldon Cooper.

I got Lust for Life, Bayer Aspirin, and marijuana.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but close enough.  I had time to write it down and sing half of the jingle.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

You're most welcome.  And be careful, Alex got to say Chopin repeatedly today.  Pace yourself.

Lol...almost too late! I worked at a horse track so I got those but somehow, somewhere so many of the other clues escaped me. I must admit tho, the boyfriend was chuffed because he got FJ before I did. Back to wine. 

• Love 3

I disagree about Iowa/Iowa State and Kansas/Kansas State. 

When you say Kansas or Iowa, "University of....." is implied.  Shorthand for them is used all the time in sports especially without specifying its not Kansas State or Iowa State.  You add that "state" part if you mean Iowa State or Kansas State, otherwise its assumed you mean University of or (blank) University.  Same with Michigan, you say just that in a college category and you don't mean Michigan State.  Its implied, its the University of Michigan. 

I don't in any way think the person that answered Iowa meant Iowa State, she mean the University of Iowa. 

I was fine with how they handled it. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Disclaimer: more than you care to know about the Big 12 --

As an alum of a Big 12 school, I had no problem with the judges accepting "Kansas" -- we tend to refer to the two schools as "Kansas" and "K State," so no confusion there. And Iowa State is always called that, despite being the only Iowa school in the Big 12. Most everyone calls the University of Texas simply "Texas" or "U.T." and Texas Tech is just called that, or in my house, "TT." Texas A&M used to be in the Big 12 before they got too big for their britches and left. We called them A&M or just the Aggies (and probably other things I won't repeat).

I went to Baylor and was a bit confused by the clue's spelling of the school holiday. It was always one word: "Diadeloso," so I just looked at the university's web site. Apparently a couple of years ago, they started celebrating the night before, so they call that "Noche del Oso." I guess to be consistent, they changed the holiday name to the actual Spanish form of "Dia del Oso."

The Big 12 originally had 12 schools. Over the years, a couple dropped out, then a couple more, so we were left with 8. That wouldn't do, so we added WVU and TCU. There's been talk of adding 2 more, not so we would truly be the Big 12, but so we have enough to have a conference football playoff setup. You know, because football is all that matters. *rolls eyes*

We always refer to Texas Tech as just Tech. And I, too, am a Bear but I'm sure many years before you were there! We also know the holiday as Diadeloso. But many things have changed there since I attended.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That didn't bother me -- The University of Kansas is referred to as just Kansas, but Kansas State is Kansas State.  Just like in Virginia, UVA is just Virginia, but Virginia Tech is Virginia Tech.  Virginia would not be an acceptable answer for Virginia Tech.  Or Georgia and Georgia Tech.  Or Florida and Florida State.  So, just Iowa wasn't acceptable, because they wanted Iowa State.  And Kansas was acceptable because they weren't looking for Kansas State.  I will agree that a BMS might have been warranted instead of the abrupt, "No", although he did wait half a second for her to continue.

It's too bad Lydia wasn't a contestant yesterday!  And also too bad the Physicist wasn't on yesterday, too -- he would no doubt have run the Physics category. 

TS I remember getting were coal and Zambezi.  Nile was not a smart guess for that one.  I also got FJ.

So (heh), is that three days in a row now we've had Scotland-related clues?  Not that I'm complaining!  And how many clues tonight used the word "alliterative"?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I had quite a lot of wine tonight before the show, so it took a while to get my head in the game. My fuzzy head.

I said aspirin instead of Bayer aspirin. Would that suffice?

Aspirin is the 'brand' name that belongs to Bayer's product, so it should. The generic name is acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) - so I could maybe see the argument for those responses not being sufficient (but should warrant a BMS instead of being flat out wrong).

Then again, who knows with the judging these days.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Too bad none of them knew the musical "1776" or they would have known Lighthorse Harry Lee as one of FFV.  

That's where I learned his name! (may have even sung a bit of the song under my breath).

• Love 6
(edited)
56 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I disagree about Iowa/Iowa State and Kansas/Kansas State. 

When you say Kansas or Iowa, "University of....." is implied.  Shorthand for them is used all the time in sports especially without specifying its not Kansas State or Iowa State.  You add that "state" part if you mean Iowa State or Kansas State, otherwise its assumed you mean University of or (blank) University.  Same with Michigan, you say just that in a college category and you don't mean Michigan State.  Its implied, its the University of Michigan. 

I don't in any way think the person that answered Iowa meant Iowa State, she mean the University of Iowa. 

I was fine with how they handled it. 

Yep, and Jeopardy is pretty consistent on this. A "BMS" would be wrong here, as everyone would, to be safe, just say the state's name and then correct it if Alex asked for more information.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

NYC's broadcast was preempted by ABC's special coverage of the bell ringing to commemorate MLK's  assassination. It was really jarring to go from such a somber occasion to the middle of a category. It took me a couple minutes to get into the game.

But yay for Jack. I only got 2 TS: Conrad and Lust for Life. FJ was an instaget because French + Polish + Composer = Chopin, but I didn't know his father taught French so that part was interesting.

• Love 2

Re: Hebrides.  I no longer even semi-mock people who know stuff but mispronounce it. I now assume they are readers who read stuff no one in their social circle also reads, so the subject matter never gets discussed & correct pronunciation arrived at. I salute the reading loners, of whom I am one.

After RFK, didn't Congress pass an anti-nepotism law regarding Presidential Appointees (that our current POTUS ignores)???

Bayer were the folks that discovered/invented aspirin (and cheated the original scientist out of any recognition). I saw a documentary about it via Amazon Prime.

• Love 18