Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Also, didn't the contestant say "East Germany", was told "No" and then changed it to "West Germany" and it was accepted????

Yes, I didn't understand why she got away with that.

I think because she corrected herself before time ran out?  I don't know -- just grasping at straws!

Alex didn't actually say no to her--she started correcting herself before he had a chance to rule.  And she did it very clumsily, and then he asked her to repeat herself. 

This was a frustrating game, but since I fast-forward through the commercials and interviews, at least I know now I was spared hearing the alphabet sung backwards--which is not that great a trick, anyway.

• Love 7

I yelled "STOP IT!" at my teevee in the middle of Rob's backward alphabet song.

One more win and R (insert smiley face) B is in the T (insert smiley face) C.

The TSs I remember were Malta, Chinatown, The Exorcist and (yes, I'm a birder) grosbeak.

I had no clue for FJ and won't embarrass myself by posting my guess.

At least Rob didn't do any pantomimes or other tricks besides Alex setting him up for that dreadful alphabet song. That WAS Trebek's fault, you know. I blame him.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What was up with her turning to Rob and staring at him every time she didn't ring in, even when Florence was answering?

I think that should hereafter be called the Pranjal Gambit.

And speaking of giving official names to things, we had a lot of time to be goofy waiting for the official answer to instaget FJ, and we came up with the idea of renaming it the Carmen Miranda Warning, which would require LEOs to put on a hat made of bananas and mangoes before issuing it.  We probably should've FF'd through the think music.

On the even stupider side, I read Smilla's Sense of Snow and saw the movie, and I still couldn't remember the right country.  All those darn Scandinavians look alike. 

• Love 17

This was the first time in a while that a contestant has finished in the red, isn't it? Rob's a good player - he has his annoying tics, but he's not intolerable. I got Ladysmith (a disappointing miss), vietnam, Chinatown, TE Lawrence and the Exorcist. FJ was an instaget. 

3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

On the even stupider side, I read Smilla's Sense of Snow and saw the movie, and I still couldn't remember the right country.  All those darn Scandinavians look alike. 

Me too! I wanted to say either Iceland or Sweden. Durr.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think that should hereafter be called the Pranjal Gambit.

And speaking of giving official names to things, we had a lot of time to be goofy waiting for the official answer to instaget FJ, and we came up with the idea of renaming it the Carmen Miranda Warning, which would require LEOs to put on a hat made of bananas and mangoes before issuing it.  We probably should've FF'd through the think music.

Thanks!  I almost choked to death on my Riesen chocolate covered caramel!

I now have visions of Lenny Briscoe wearing a Carmen Miranda fruit hat.  ? ???

• Love 9
2 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

Rob Is really getting on my nerves with his board picks. 

Is he just trying to ensure that no one else gets a DD? Seems odd to start the game in the middle of the categories before you have any significant money to wager.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

And speaking of giving official names to things, we had a lot of time to be goofy waiting for the official answer to instaget FJ, and we came up with the idea of renaming it the Carmen Miranda Warning, which would require LEOs to put on a hat made of bananas and mangoes before issuing it. 

Excellent idea! :D

I can say the alphabet backwards, too. It's nothing to write home about.

For TSs, I got Chinatown, grosbeak, and The Exorcist. I know Ladysmith Black Mambazo, but I guess I forgot Ladysmith was a town.

TS only took me a second to come up with.

• Love 1

I hated that I couldn't come up with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Graceland is my favorite album of all time. I wore out my Graceland cassette, which I played over and over years ago while driving to Arkansas in the middle of the night. During that drive, I decided to make a detour to Memphis to tour Graceland. (I slept in a roadside and was first in line the next morning.) I also attended their concert tour. Simon caught quite the heck from partnering with Ladysmith Black Mambazo, I found out later. Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes ... best song ever.

• Love 5

It was an awful game (I still can't believe nobody knew "Chinatown"), but I did think of our own @Mystery Author during the Mystery & Crime Novels category. I must admit I wasn't familiar with Cleo Coyle's Coffee House series, but it turns out she's written 17 of 'em, so they must be pretty popular...!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And speaking of giving official names to things, we had a lot of time to be goofy waiting for the official answer to instaget FJ, and we came up with the idea of renaming it the Carmen Miranda Warning, which would require LEOs to put on a hat made of bananas and mangoes before issuing it.

That could be a clue/answer in a Before and After category!

• Love 3

Yes! Where is our Mystery Author? I, too, thought of our friend who better tell us she ran that category!

LOL. I know Michael Connelly, with whom I had dinner one night, along with Harlan Coben (we had the same literary agent), but I don't think I ran the category. I read Alienist years ago, but didn't remember the protagonist was a psychiatrist. I knew Smilla’s Sense of Snow was set in Denmark. Oh and I knew it was Brother Cadfael. I took a wild guess on Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse series.

One of my books was inspired by events that occurred during the filming of The Exorcist, thanks to my sister, Eileen Dietz, who played The Demon and the possession scenes, and I was screaming: EXORCIST! THE EXORCIST!

Mr. Author hates it when I do that.

• Love 11

Rob is growing on me, even with the ear tug during the camera pan in FJ (even FF'ing through it, which we do when FJ is an instaget, I caught it) & singing the backwards alphabet song. Unlike Alex, I do not consider a smiley face o to be a charming look for a middle aged man. I don't even think either of my daughters, if they had an o in their name would do that, and they're 11. But he's a good player, and I'm glad he won a lot of $$ today. Kate took forever & gave the complete category name, and poor Florence fizzled out. I really think she gave up. 

TS I got were psychiatrist, Ladysmith (saw them open for 10,000 Maniacs in 1993), Denmark, crazy glue, Malta, The Exorcist. FJ was an instaget.

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I now have visions of Lenny Briscoe wearing a Carmen Miranda fruit hat.  ? ???

5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Lenny looked good in everything.  RIP (in this case meaning "Rest in Papayas," I guess.)

Laughing so hard at Lennie wearing a fruit hat, and rest in papayas!

4 hours ago, trow125 said:

It was an awful game (I still can't believe nobody knew "Chinatown"), but I did think of our own @Mystery Author during the Mystery & Crime Novels category. I must admit I wasn't familiar with Cleo Coyle's Coffee House series, but it turns out she's written 17 of 'em, so they must be pretty popular...!

I thought of Mystery Writer, too, and then The Exorcist clue. Double shoutout!

I said French Connection, knowing it starred Gene Hackman and not Jack N., but couldn't remember Chinatown. Dr. Toothbrush got it though.

I want to read the coffee house mystery series now. Maybe once I finish the approx. 35 books on bookshelves, nightstand, and kindle that I have yet to read. 

• Love 7

I knew Vietnam because I've read all the Harry Bosch books. It annoys me that the Amazon series made Bosch a vet of the middle east, but if they'd left it at Vietnam, he'd be WAY too old to be a cop in the series. Intellectually, I understand that, but emotionally, I have a hard time accepting that.

Miranda was an instaget for me and I'm happy I didn't run the Mystery category - now I've got even MORE books to look for/read.

I'm glad I was continuing my vacation planning during the commercials & interviews - I wasn't paying attention to the singing of the alphabet. What a tool!  I'm just happy there isn't also an "i" in his name, or we'd see a little heart dotting it.

And I agree about wanting to see Briscoe in a fruit hat. Hell, I wanna see Briscoe. Period. I miss him.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And I agree about wanting to see Briscoe in a fruit hat. Hell, I wanna see Briscoe. Period. I miss him.

I loved his deadpan comments.

Lenny - I always wanted to play guitar.
Ed - That's a bass.  A Rickenbaker.
Lenny - Is that good?
Ed - It was good enough for Elvis.
Lenny - Aww, Elvis!  Now you're talking my neck of the woods.
Ed - I was taking about Elvis Costello.
Lenny - Who's on first?

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

saw ... 10,000 Maniacs in 1993

❤️ I think I saw that tour (but not Ladysmith Black Mambazo). It might have been 1994 for me.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

I also thought of Mystery Author during the mystery category.  I couldn't run every set of clues they could come up with but it would be a category I would be pleased to see.  I was rooting for Kate as a fellow Sondheim fan but then she lost me with her panicky guessing and Andrew Lloyd Webber (sorry ALW fans as I am ducking for cover from chandeliers descending) .  Loved the Table Tennis category since I work with aficionados, including one who calls it a bat. 

And finally why I love this board - Carmen Miranda Warning -> Lenny Briscoe in a fruit hat.  :-)  I got to see Jerry Orbach in the original production of Chicago - still one of my top ten theater memories. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Someone please help me not put my head through a wall...omg...this season!  The clues are so easy and the contestants are so very, very bad...

Yes, I could not believe Rob put the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in March, and won anyway! Not to mention that neither of the other two, one of whom was from NY, then answered correctly. I did root for Damian, though, because he's from my neck of the woods and I liked his Bocce story.

I got the Northern Cross, Aaron Burr (missed DD), "When shall we three meet again?", Gandhi, Sean Connery, and road rage. Speaking of Aaron Burr--who remembers the Got Milk? commercials with someone trying to say his name through a mouthful of peanut butter?

• Love 12

They know that they can ring in after someone get's it wrong, right?  There were a couple of times that it seems like they should've figured it out - roid/road rage; St Patrick's day parade (I think there was one other one that I can't remember).  I know, it's easy for me to say in the comfort of my couch but come on! The guy on the end was a cutie.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Speaking of Aaron Burr--who remembers the Got Milk? commercials with someone trying to say his name through a mouthful of peanut butter?

Me! Me! I said A-on urr.

And last week, Francisco Franco is still dead.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, I could not believe Rob put the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in March, and won anyway! Not to mention that neither of the other two, one of whom was from NY, then answered correctly. I did root for Damian, though, because he's from my neck of the woods and I liked his Bocce story.I

got the Northern Cross, Aaron Burr (missed DD), "When shall we three meet again?", Gandhi, Sean Connery, and road rage. Speaking of Aaron Burr--who remembers the Got Milk? commercials with someone trying to say his name through a mouthful of peanut butter?

Also, Macy's isn't that old either.  

I got those and Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr and Timothy Dalton and FJ. I laughed when Sean Connery was the answer as I thought of SNL Celebrity Jeopardy!. I loved that Aaron Burr commercial too  

• Love 4

I liked both John and Damien so, of course, we're still stuck with R?B.  Rob's not nearly as bad as he was on his first day, but that smiley face makes me stabby.

Alex kind of pissed me off when Damien bet everything on his DD, and instead of making a positive comment, he blandly said, "Easy come, easy go".  STFU, Alex.  You got to say Ca-moooo tonight, so you should be jolly.

At least they cleared the boards tonight.

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I had never in my life heard of the book A Wrinkle In Time until they started flogging that terrible looking movie all over the place.  Hideous category just to shill some crap for Sony.

I got Aaron Burr,  St. Patrick's Day Parade, M. Ghandi, Sean Connery, and road rage.

FJ was an instaget.  

• Love 14

So many TS tonight. I got Northern Cross, Oliver Wendell Holmes jr., St. Patrick’s Day, Gandhi, Sean Connery, Road Rage and Urdu. FJ was embarrassingly easy. 

I agree that they seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with clues and contestants recently.  Clearing the board seems to be more the exception rather than the rule lately. Damien was the only one that started at the top of the categories. And I had to laugh at Thanksgiving in March. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I liked both John and Damien so, of course, we're still stuck with R?B.  Rob's not nearly as bad as he was on his first day, but that smiley face makes me stabby.

Alex kind of pissed me off when Damien bet everything on his DD, and instead of making a positive comment, he blandly said, "Easy come, easy go".  STFU, Alex.  You got to say Ca-moooo tonight, so you should be jolly.

At least they cleared the boards tonight.

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I had never in my life heard of the book A Wrinkle In Time until they started flogging that terrible looking movie all over the place.  Hideous category just to shill some crap for Sony.

I got Aaron Burr,  St. Patrick's Day Parade, M. Ghandi, Sean Connery, and road rage.

FJ was an instaget.  

I can't tell what the movie will be like but the book was one of my favorites as a young girl. I bought it for my nieces and my friends daughters. It skews more for girls so I laughed that it was an all male lineup that got the category. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Alex kind of pissed me off when Damien bet everything on his DD, and instead of making a positive comment, he blandly said, "Easy come, easy go".  STFU, Alex. 

What a dick comment from Alex. I think from his reaction, that it threw Damien a bit. 

Also, if he is going to explain categories he needs to do a better job. When he explained the "Common Bonds" category, I was like "What the hell did he just say?"

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

STFU, Alex.  You got to say Ca-moooo tonight, so you should be jolly.

Oh, so much THIS. I'm positive Trebek makes the clue writers include anything that lets him say Ca-mooooo, although it is more like Ca-meuoo. THAT makes ME stabby.

Thank goodness I was doing something else so missed the "Easy come, easy go" dickweed comment.

R*smileyface*B is now in TofC.

• Love 6

So many TS tonight!  And some really boneheaded ones where one guy missed, but the others couldn’t figure it out.  I was rooting for Damien — too bad he blew it all on that first DD.  And no, RsmileyB, Thanksgiving is not in March.

The TS I got were staff of life, Northern Cross, Aawon Buuuu (said through a mouthful of peanut butter), St. Patrick’s Day, “When shall we three meet again”, Sean Connery, road rage, and e-book.

FJ was an instaget.

I adore A Wrinkle In Time — I even got my tacky little paperback autographed by L’Engle!  I can’t wait for the movie, but I’m a little nervous about it, too.  At least the cast looks good.  I just hope they don’t screw up the story too much.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Well, it is a very well-known and acclaimed book, but I can't stand it, so IMO you're not missing much ;) We read it in school in grade 7 and although in theory it sounds like something I would like, I hated it. Didn't help that a lot of it was listening to the book on tape, which I also can't stand (I hate listening to people read out loud).

If I didn't dislike the book so much, I might actually want to see the movie! Instead that whole category just annoyed me. I really never wanted to hear the word tesseract again, and was annoyed with myself for knowing it.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

And banana and papaya were both answers tonight!

Carmen Miranda Rights!

29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Aawon Buuuu (said through a mouthful of peanut butter),

This made me laugh. Thank you.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm positive Trebek makes the clue writers include anything that lets him say Ca-mooooo, although it is more like Ca-meuoo. THAT makes ME stabby.

I'll take your word for it, because my English teacher pronounced it "Al-bear Ca-moooo." We were reading "The Plague" and he got stabby (metaphorically) when a student called him "Al-bert Came-us"  

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Speaking of Aaron Burr--who remembers the Got Milk? commercials with someone trying to say his name through a mouthful of peanut butter?

Everyone alive and of TV-watching age at the time, I hope; that was very funny, and we still say his name that way whenever it comes up.

Alex kind of pissed me off when Damien bet everything on his DD, and instead of making a positive comment, he blandly said, "Easy come, easy go". 

That was such a jerk move.  Damien's "Really, jackass?" look in reaction was good.

I’ve never heard “the staff of life,” so that one stumped me, too.  I couldn’t come up with the first line of Macbeth, either; I'm incredibly sporadic with my Shakespeare knowledge (and I wouldn't know it from A Wrinkle in Time, as I either never read it or did so as a kid).

But I got the northern cross, Sean Connery (that was a guess), Oliver Wendell Holmes, St. Patrick’s Day parade (a Thanksgiving parade in March?  Talk about forgetting the category), Urdu, e-book, Gandhi (I cannot believe that was a TS!), and road rage (I also can’t believe no one noticed Damien said ‘roid rage instead and thus didn’t ring in).

The Death, American Style clues all seemed rather simple, even for the first round.  I had a feeling Damien was going to say Hamilton instead of Burr, though.  And .jpeg was far too easy a clue for a DD in DJ.

FJ was an instaget (not that I knew that's what the hummingbird is called in Portuguese, but that "flower kisser" instantly brought to mind a hummingbird).

• Love 6

I'll take your word for it, because my English teacher pronounced it "Al-bear Ca-moooo." We were reading "The Plague" and he got stabby (metaphorically) when a student called him "Al-bert Came-us" 

It's Trebek's over pronunciation of Camus that drives me crazy. Just say the name without putting 100 pounds of DRAH-mah into it. One can say Ca-moo, one doesn't have to say Ca-meuooooooooooooooooooooooo. Unless you're hosting the I'm Alex Trebek Look At Me Show.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

STFU, Alex.  You got to say Ca-moooo tonight, so you should be jolly.

:D

I remember seeing it in my son's school library when I volunteered there many moons ago. It seemed to be a popular book. As far as the movie goes, I'm not really that interested in it, but it was directed by Ava DuVernay (Selma), so I expect it to be good.

I didn't do as well with the TSs as I should have. My brain is getting less and less cooperative. I couldn't remember Timothy Dalton, only getting as far Timothy... Hutton? No, Leary? No.

The only TS I got was Sean Connery, plus the DD of Aaron Burr. FJ was super easy. 

• Love 2
On 2/19/2018 at 4:29 PM, Moose135 said:

Yes! Alex even tried to give him an out, saying he didn't really need to do it, but he couldn't resist.  And then, they don't clear the board...

I know, right? 

On 2/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Me too. Read the book, but I never remember which country is which.

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I had never in my life heard of the book A Wrinkle In Time until they started flogging that terrible looking movie all over the place.  Hideous category just to shill some crap for Sony..  

Loved the book, as do my (grown) daughters, but I hate the looooong ad/clues, and Oprah's pace is so slow. 

• Love 2

I liked all 3 of Tuesday's contestants, but of them Rob smiley face is my least favorite, so of course he won. And we will see him in the ToC. I did like the color of his shirt. 

TS I got were staff of life, cute Damien's missed DD of Aaron Burr (also said with peanut butter mouth), St. Patrick's Day (aka Thanksgiving in March; forget corned beef & cabbage - we're having turkey!), Ghandi, road rage. Also can't believe no one else buzzed in when St. Patrick's Day, Ghandi, & road rage were missed. FJ was an instaget.

On another day, the judges may have accepted John's answer of "Hey brother can you spare a dime". They do tend to be more strict with actual titles, but the correct answer was a part of his answer.

Love "A Wrinkle in Time", and can't wait to see the movie. One of my daughters & my niece are both currently reading it. 

5 hours ago, ABay said:

Me! Me! I said A-on urr.

And last week, Francisco Franco is still dead.

Both of these.

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And banana and papaya were both answers tonight!

When the Fruit Forward category was shown, I said "Carmen Miranda rights!", and then had to explain to Dr. Toothbrush. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

LOL! 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, opus said:

You knew they were clearing that board in round two because no way were they denying Oprah...

Well not because of Oprah, but I think you are right, in a way........

Those type of categories I would bet they have to finish, since they do seem to be paid ads.  Does anyone know if a category like that has ever been left unfinished?

From here on out players should just leave those to the end

• Love 5

I have a theory that the J! writers also remember it and try to use Aaron Burr as a response whenever they can. He comes up more often than odds would suggest and I'm one of the ones who says, "Aaron Burr" through clenched teeth. I think J! expects it of us, just like they expect AT to overpronounce French words.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Those type of categories I would bet they have to finish, since they do seem to be paid ads.  Does anyone know if a category like that has ever been left unfinished?

That's an interesting theory. I'll have to pay attention to whether any such categories are left unfinished.

• Love 2

Alex's "Easy come, easy go" comment, along with some other snarky, off-the-cuff remarks and saying a curt "Nope!" when a contestant says the wrong answer instead of the more polite "No" lead me to wonder about his recent surgery.  These are still episodes filmed prior to his surgery, correct?  Symptoms of a brain clot can include personality changes, confusion, and other non-physical manifestations that can occur days or weeks before a diagnosis is made or more acute symptoms are present.

I just recently started watching the show again a few months ago (thanks to the benefit of having a DVR to record while I'm at work).  I seem to recall a much more polite, civil, positive Alex Trebek in previous years.  Could these subtle changes be the result of his brain clot or is he just being a bit of a jerk lately?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think J! expects it of us, just like they expect AT to overpronounce French words.

And every other foreign word that gets thrown at him.  He really went to town on "bocce" in the interview segment last night.  Even the ancient Italian guys I used to watch playing in Little Italy didn't give it that much old-country spin.  (The word, that is, not the ball.)

I love that, carpe!  Lenny's saying just what I was thinking.

Edited by Mondrianyone
You can't say it right and then spell it wrong
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

Alex's "Easy come, easy go" comment, along with some other snarky, off-the-cuff remarks and saying a curt "Nope!" when a contestant says the wrong answer instead of the more polite "No" lead me to wonder about his recent surgery.  These are still episodes filmed prior to his surgery, correct?  Symptoms of a brain clot can include personality changes, confusion, and other non-physical manifestations that can occur days or weeks before a diagnosis is made or more acute symptoms are present.

I just recently started watching the show again a few months ago (thanks to the benefit of having a DVR to record while I'm at work).  I seem to recall a much more polite, civil, positive Alex Trebek in previous years.  Could these subtle changes be the result of his brain clot or is he just being a bit of a jerk lately?

Maybe he's as tired of the recent spate of incompetents on lately.  We thought we must have made it up in our heads (my wife and I), so we started watching episodes from other years (you can find them on youtube).  Yeeaaaaaah.  Bad folk, easy questions lately.  Good time to get on and play!  The exam is coming up.

• Love 2