Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Two minutes in and I’m already annoyed with Rachel’s buzzer jabbing.  Can the contestant coordinators not make them stop it?

When Alex read the categories I thought Twin Peaks would absolutely be a question so I was amused at the first clue in the Revivals category.  I also like when the categories flow like Robert’s Rules of Order.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I’m so disappointed LaKedra didn’t win.  Arg!  New champ seems okay though.  It was a good game but I really wish LaKedra had won.  Thought she would pull it out when she got FJ and wagered so much.

That Will and Grace question was ridiculously easy.  They named every cast member!  

• Love 16

Ohhh Bryce is a jabber too.  Just stop it, all of you.

The last clue in the Jeopardy! round said that Congress counts [this] every fourth January and the answer was the electoral college votes, but last year they did it in December.  Did they change the way it was supposed to be done last year?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I am not that surprised Dixie Chicks was a TS, because if you had never heard that album title you just wouldn’t know it, and their “controversy” was over a decade ago.  But The Dead?  Even being spotted a long, strange trip?  Surprising.

I had no clue on FJ.  

• Love 8

Not only was I sad that Glen Campbell was a TS, I was really sad that the Grateful Dead were!  I correctly guessed Tigris for Bryce's missed DD, and also got Borneo.

FJ was another that seemed obvious in hindsight, although I don't think I knew that Marquez won a Nobel Prize.  I said Salinger, knowing it was wrong, but mostly because he was such a recluse.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am not that surprised Dixie Chicks was a TS, because if you had never heard that album title you just wouldn’t know it, and their “controversy” was over a decade ago.  But The Dead?  Even being spotted a long, strange trip?  Surprising.

I had no clue on FJ.  

I can't remember the exact wording of the Dixie Chicks question, but I got it immediately and I couldn't tell you a single one of their album titles, nor do I have any idea what the controversy is that you are referring to. I thought the question just referenced a couple of their more popular songs.

• Love 4

I got Avignon and Glen Campbell. The documentary of his final tour was so sad.

I too thought LaKendra would have a longer run, but Bryce is OK. I don't fault contestants for buzzer technique; I understand they get desperate to do whatever it takes to ring in first.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I can't remember the exact wording of the Dixie Chicks question, but I got it immediately and I couldn't tell you a single one of their album titles, nor do I have any idea what the controversy is that you are referring to. I thought the question just referenced a couple of their more popular songs.

I believe they (or Natalie) had said at a concert that they were ashamed George W Bush was the President. Something like that. Consequently lots of people were mad at them, and I guess they got mail or comments or whatever that said, "Shut up and sing." Hence the title of the album. 

My TSs were Zach Galifianakis and Glen Campbell. I didn't get FJ.

Sorry to see LaKedra go, but Bryce seems ok to me. Pretty knowledgable.

• Love 4

They were in England and they said to the crowd that they were ashamed that George Bush was from Texas.  This caused teeth-gnashing and pearl-clutching from ultra-conservative country radio stations who then had CD burning parties and vowed they would never play Dixie Chicks music again (the “I do declare” was implied).

• Love 10
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I had no clue on FJ.  

Hah, I got the Dixie Chicks (because I listen to them, and that album, all the time), and didn't get The Dead - because I was never a fan (well, as well as that when the clue came up, I'd forgotten the category).

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

They were in England and they said to the crowd that they were ashamed that George Bush was from Texas.  This caused teeth-gnashing and pearl-clutching from ultra-conservative country radio stations who then had CD burning parties and vowed they would never play Dixie Chicks music again (the “I do declare” was implied).

There was a little more than pearl clutching - there were also numerous death threats. The title "Shut up and Sing" is a partial quote from one of them, I believe. The rest of the quote being something like "or else we'll kill you" Those threats were taken very seriously.

I was sorry to see LaKedra go, but the new guy is okay.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 10

I had no clue as to Wednesday's FJ! but got Dunkirk immediately because the clue mentioned dune(s).  I just recently figured out that Dunkirk is in France--I always thought it was in England. It sounds more English and French.  I will miss LaKedra.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Two minutes in and I’m already annoyed with Rachel’s buzzer jabbing.  Can the contestant coordinators not make them stop it?

I KNOW!! 

I wondered if someone did say something to her because it didn't look that bad after the first couple of times. What is WRONG with people? Let's hold the buzzer in one hand and SLAM down on it with the other :/ 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Why does everyone know the Flemish for church!? I feel so ignorant.

I didn't know it was Flemish for church, but the national church of Scotland is called the Kirk of Scotland by the Scots, so between that tidbit and having seen the film, I took an educated guess.

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I was sad that I'll be Me and Glen Campbell was a ts, the documentary is very good and the song, I'm Not Gonna Miss You is absolutely heartbreaking.

Absolutely.  It should've won the Oscar for Best Original Song that year.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Bryce seems okay, but I'll miss LaKedra.  She was delightful.

I got Constantinople, the Grateful Dead, and Glen Campbell.

FJ was an instaget.

It took me a moment to get FJ, although I would've had time to write it down, I think.  It was the word "solitude" which finally got me there.  I haven't read 100 Years of Solitude, but I have heard of it.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, M. Darcy said:

LaKedra really made me feel stupid the way she was kicking ass in those state capitals.  

Please don't feel stupid - unless you've spent the last ten years cramming to be on Jeopardy.

• Love 2

Okay..."deCAPitate" is a verb, but "deCAPitated" is an adjective containing "CAP" and (I think) satisfies the clue. Did I miss the part where Alex said "CAP" had to begin the word??? I fully expected us to come back from the commercial with a scoring change! On another note, I ran the Steinbeck category and the only Steinbeck I've read is "Of Mice & Men"! Can't believe "East of Eden" was a TS. Do contestants only study "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice & Men"? Granted, Jeopardy rarely strays beyond those 2 Steinbecks, but still.

• Love 3

The last few days have depressed me, two champs I really like sent home this week. And what the heck was the accent Alex was putting on his showboat pronunciation of "morel"? I live in morel-hunting country and it's said more-REL. Alex can be so tiring sometimes.

• Love 5

Yep, Alex specified when he introduced the category that CAP was the first three letters of all the answers. I was annoyed the dudes kept guessing "decap" words. It was a total sausagefest today. Made me miss Lakedra even more.

• Love 7

Yet another FJ that I should have known!  I made the connection between Akron and rubber and tires, but couldn't make the leap to Goodyear and blimps.  Maybe I need a nap.

But I somehow got two of the Steinbeck TS -- The Red Pony and Cannery Row -- despite despising Steinbeck and having avoided his books as much as possible.  I also got thumb and capricious.

18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And what the heck was the accent Alex was putting on his showboat pronunciation of "morel"? I live in morel-hunting country and it's said more-REL.

Definitely.  People who like them hunt them around here, too, and also pronounce it more-REL.  And don't get me started on Alex's weird John Cleese "accent".

As much as I liked Bryce, and am sad to see him go, I kind of had to root for Craig, since he's a local.

• Love 3

LaKedra's time with us was much too short but I'm not sorry to see Bryce go. Congrats to the champ for that major comeback.

The only TS I got was capricious. FJ was a close to instaget and redemption from yesterday, when I had no clue even though 100 Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books.

• Love 4

Thumb was a TS! Can't believe three smart people didn't know that one. I also got East of Eden and Florence. FJ was an instaget for me - I saw wingfoot in the clue and immediately thought of the Goodyear Blimp. 

The new champ really came on strong so congrats to him. Sorry to see Bryce go, though.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

I felt soooo stupid when FJ was revealed.  Akron/goodyear/blimp.  But I blanked.  Is it me or did the champs bet not make sense? Wasn't it a runaway?

It made no sense. It wasn't a runaway but he bet $200 short of the easier win. My guess is he calculated wrong. He had the "well, I'm stupid, but at least I'm lucky" laugh at the end.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

On another note, I ran the Steinbeck category and the only Steinbeck I've read is "Of Mice & Men"! Can't believe "East of Eden" was a TS. Do contestants only study "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice & Men"? Granted, Jeopardy rarely strays beyond those 2 Steinbecks, but still.

I'm impressed you got them all! But I agree about "East of Eden". I know nothing about it, but the clue had two biblical names in it, so I guessed the Steinbeck novel with "Eden" in the title. It seemed obvious to me at the time.

12 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Thumb was a TS! Can't believe three smart people didn't know that one. I also got East of Eden and Florence. FJ was an instaget for me - I saw wingfoot in the clue and immediately thought of the Goodyear Blimp. 

The new champ really came on strong so congrats to him. Sorry to see Bryce go, though.

It sounded like no one in the audience got thumb either. There was a big groan when Alex said the answer. I thought it was easy.

Seriously Jeopardy, $1000 for G8, when the words "octet" and "leaders" were in the clue???? Come on.

• Love 4

Not a fan of the new champ.  His body language said "smart aleck" to me.

I got East of Eden, The Red Pony, Cannery Row, and capricious.

FJ had my mind firing on all cylinders but nothing was igniting.  I knew I should know it, but I couldn't drag it out of my brain.  I hurt myself slapping my forehead when it was revealed.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

FJ was an instaget for me - I saw wingfoot in the clue and immediately thought of the Goodyear Blimp. 

Same here.  And yes, I thought there was some strange betting in FJ.

• Love 3

Geez, I lived in Ohio five years and got Akron mixed up with Dayton so said "some kind of new glider" for FJ. Since, of course, AKRON (really Dayton) is "The Birthplace of Aviation." It'll happen to you guys too when you get old. Plus I'm recovering from Carpe's flu bug, so I have that excuse too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Okay..."deCAPitate" is a verb, but "deCAPitated" is an adjective containing "CAP" and (I think) satisfies the clue. 

I thought Alex said 'capital.' Capital means the loss of a head?

My TSs were East of Eden, The Red Pony, and capricious. Instead of Cannery Row I said Tortilla Flat.

I didn't get FJ.

I kind of like the new champ. He seemed so amazed and giddy that he was doing so well.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I thought Alex said 'capital.' Capital means the loss of a head?

I'm still shrugging at that one myself.  The closest I can come is capital punishment, but that would be loss of life, not specifically loss of a head.  Capital comes from the Latin word for head, but again, I can't see what that has to do with the loss of a head.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was stunned that I got all the Steinbeck except Cannery Row.

There's a charming movie from about 35 years ago called Cannery Row, based on (mostly) its sequel, Sweet Thursday. Whenever I am tempted to give up on Steinbeck, I read CR and ST and I like him again.

• Love 1

Justice for Lakedra!  It always irks me when a champ I really like is replaced by somebody who turns out to be a one-and-done.

I love Steinbeck, so I ran his category and was very sad that no one knew The Red Pony.  Jody and Gabilan forever.

The cold clues were fun, although they were slow to figure out the joke.  I too had to slap my forehead when the FJ answer was revealed.

• Love 4

I know capricious from Kramer's visit to the dean on Seinfeld.  "I find your decision capricious and arbitrary."  "Your fly is open."  Had no clue for FJ!  That's 2 in a row.  I liked Bryce.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It took me a moment to get FJ, although I would've had time to write it down, I think.  It was the word "solitude" which finally got me there.  I haven't read 100 Years of Solitude, but I have heard of it.

Solitude got it for me too - though I struggled with the name (it's one of those three named authors starting with Gabriel....), I managed to say Marquez but wasn't sure at all.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

On another note, I ran the Steinbeck category and the only Steinbeck I've read is "Of Mice & Men"! Can't believe "East of Eden" was a TS. Do contestants only study "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice & Men"? Granted, Jeopardy rarely strays beyond those 2 Steinbecks, but still.

I've read all of Steinbeck, and missed "Of Mice and Men" - because my husband distracted me by guessing East of Eden for every clue.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yet another FJ that I should have known!  I made the connection between Akron and rubber and tires, but couldn't make the leap to Goodyear and blimps.

I lived in Akron, made the connection, but my mind was stuck on "christening" as a boat thing, and I was thinking that Akron wasn't a likely place for a boat to be christened. Sigh...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Solitude got it for me too - though I struggled with the name (it's one of those three named authors starting with Gabriel....), I managed to say Marquez but wasn't sure at all.

I've read all of Steinbeck, and missed "Of Mice and Men" - because my husband distracted me by guessing East of Eden for every clue.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I lived in Akron, made the connection, but my mind was stuck on "christening" as a boat thing, and I was thinking that Akron wasn't a likely place for a boat to be christened. Sigh...

I missed Cannery Row - said Tortilla Flats instead - but did get the rest.  I'm a little surprised none of the contestants got East of Eden.

I was completely clueless for FJ.  I had no idea that Goodyear had a plant or headquarters in Ohio.  I figured it had something to do with flight, but was nowhere near 'blimp'.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I was confused by the clue for thumb for some reason.  When it was revealed, I was all "D'uh!".  I didn't get capital, but I did know capricious.

• Love 4

So many TS tonight!  Starting with Ronald McDonald -- given a BMS for McDonald with fast food in the clue, how could Craig not have gotten the Ronald part?  I also got Life On The Mississippi, tulip tree (I have one in my yard), cypress, San Antonio, Baal, and Arthur Miller.  When in doubt about a playwright, pick Arthur Miller.  And I think there were quite a few more that I missed as well.

FJ took me about a half second to focus on the Kenya/Africa part of the clue and not the 1994 part, and then was an instaget.

Congrats to the new champ!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I'm still shrugging at that one myself.  The closest I can come is capital punishment, but that would be loss of life, not specifically loss of a head.  Capital comes from the Latin word for head, but again, I can't see what that has to do with the loss of a head.  

I think it originally referred to loss of a head, or decapitation,  (the customary way to execute a Roman citizen) and in time broadened to refer to any death penalty.

• Love 4

And way too may TSs. Like not saying tulip tree when shown a picture 1. of the tree and 2. TULIPS? And Ronald MacDonald? Geezy Pete. I can see some obscure opera being a TS but a fast food icon that is freaking everywhere, even overseas? If I'm ever on this show I want those kind of TSs and a FJ as easy as The Lion King.

• Love 7