Type keyword(s) to search

Luann & Tom's Divorce: The Slap Heard 'Round the (RH) World

• Start Topic

Guesses On Why Luann and Tom Decided to Divorce?   POLL OPEN

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

.  It is my belief Luann is a little bit more of a shrewd negotiator than she gets credit for. 

Agreed and she also was very shrewd in negotiating free and loaned designers items at the beginning of the serie. While it might appear tacky to some (Carole was taken back), it is a smart move Imo.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

Agreed and she also was very shrewd in negotiating free and loaned designers items at the beginning of the serie. While it might appear tacky to some (Carole was taken back), it is a smart move Imo.

It always amazed me how Carole's friends had no problem putting their goods out on RHONYC but perish the thought of a veteran cast member asking to borrow a dress for an event where she would give them further exposure. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

It always amazed me how Carole's friends had no problem putting their goods out on RHONYC but perish the thought of a veteran cast member asking to borrow a dress for an event where she would give them further exposure. 

I think it was more of how Lu presented the idea. The way it was told to Carole by her friends was that Lu said that she would basically be good for the brand to advertise it. I don't know if you follow high fashion but Naeem Khan but his gowns are worn by some big name celebrities (Jane Fonda, Karlie Kloss, Mandy Moore, Kate Hudson, Hilary Swank, Lucy Liu, Diane Kruger, etc). So, it was pretentious (yep!  The Countess being pretentious!) for her to assume that wearing his dress would give him publicity. He has publicity coming from legit non-reality celebrities wearing his dresses to the Oscars, Tony Awards, Emmy Awards, etc. The Countess with her Life & Style crowd...  It doesn't really play to Naeem's clientele list. His dresses start at $4,000 and he currently has a blouse on clearance at Neiman's for $1200. No offense to Life & Style readers but that isn't their demographic. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I think it was more of how Lu presented the idea. The way it was told to Carole by her friends was that Lu said that she would basically be good for the brand to advertise it. I don't know if you follow high fashion but Naeem Khan but his gowns are worn by some big name celebrities (Jane Fonda, Karlie Kloss, Mandy Moore, Kate Hudson, Hilary Swank, Lucy Liu, Diane Kruger, etc). So, it was pretentious (yep!  The Countess being pretentious!) for her to assume that wearing his dress would give him publicity. He has publicity coming from legit non-reality celebrities wearing his dresses to the Oscars, Tony Awards, Emmy Awards, etc. The Countess with her Life & Style crowd...  It doesn't really play to Naeem's clientele list. His dresses start at $4,000 and he currently has a blouse on clearance at Neiman's for $1200. No offense to Life & Style readers but that isn't their demographic. 

This! Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, recently wore one of his dresses. Queen Noor of Jordan wears his dresses. Alls I know is that having Countess LuAnn of Bullshit and Crackerjacks wear one of his dresses in Life & Style helps her out waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than it helps him. The difference between Naeem Khan and Randi Rahm is that Naeem is still dressing celebrities for the Emmys, Golden Globes, and Oscars.

https://naeemkhan.com/pages/news-press

While the most recent "celebrities" that Randi has dressed were Rachel Lindsay, the Bachelorette, and LuAnn. It's not nothing, but it's also not Michelle Obama, Elle Fanning, or Adriana Lima.

https://www.randirahm.com/press

15 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

The other thing I think people miss is that the Bravo viewership demographics are significantly different from the Life & Style reader demographics. Bravo viewers are richer and better educated than the Life & Style reader. So it makes perfect sense why someone would might appear on the show, but still not dress Lu for a magazine spread.

Bravo viewer demographics

https://www.quantcast.com/bravotv.com#/generalInterestsCard

Life & Style demographics

http://bauerpublishing.com/entertainment-group/life-style-weekly/media-kit/

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

The way it was told to Carole by her friends was that Lu said that she would basically be good for the brand to advertise it.

It was also told to Carole by Ranjana that it came up completely naturally when the three of them were doing tequila shots and that Luann looked great in Naseem's clothes and that neither was upset by the request.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

While the most recent "celebrities" that Randi has dressed were Rachel Lindsay, the Bachelorette, and LuAnn. It's not nothing, but it's also not Michelle Obama, Elle Fanning, or Adriana Lima.

I was gonna be mad at ya'll if you didn't mention my gal M. Obama. 

That was the thing. The idea that Lu was pretentious enough to believe that dressing her was somehow so incredibly special. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was also told to Carole by Ranjana that it came up completely naturally when the three of them were doing tequila shots and that Luann looked great in Naseem's clothes and that neither was upset by the request.

But I can also understand where it would make Carole uneasy about introducing Lu to any future friends. Carole has an eclectic group of friends that range from non-famous to famous. Would Lu consistently ask Carole's friends things like this?  It would make me uneasy. 

3 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I was gonna be mad at ya'll if you didn't mention my gal M. Obama. 

That was the thing. The idea that Lu was pretentious enough to believe that dressing her was somehow so incredibly special. 

Ah, I can't believe I forgot Michelle!  I thought I had put her in and then checked and I forgot her!  I loved the one she wore at the CBC dinner. 

Let's face it. Lu needs to be known as Countess of Pretentiousness. That's what bugs so much about Palm Beach, the yacht, the penthouse...  It smacks of pretentiousness. We saw it in Season 1 with "educating" Bethenny on how she was supposed to introduce Lu to the driver. 

• Love 8

The idea that Lu was pretentious enough to believe that dressing her was somehow so incredibly special. 

Luann is to Naeem Khan as Halle Berry is to Elie Saab.

Ok, I can't even type that with a straight face...

• Love 5
On 8/24/2017 at 2:45 PM, Ki-in said:

"I beat those blond bitches!"

Blonde "hatred" is a real thing. For some reason all of my BFFs are blonde and I've seen the hate directed towards them just because of hair color. I've never felt that way and I like that when I'm together we make a nice Betty and Veronica duo (or Xena and Gabrielle. When that show was popular guys used to call us that which sucked because although I've been told I resemble Lucy Lawless my arch enemy is named Xena)

Since 98% of women dye their hair and are not real blondes maybe people see them as fake?  I don't know. I have dark blonde hair highlighted a lighter shade. Maybe I'm not blonde enough or don't have the big boobs that go with that directed hate.  Of course if I was a bombshell babe like Ramona I'd probably pass out from all the hate flying my way. 

You must have some beautiful hair if it's the color of xena the warrior!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

That's what Luann said, too, I believe ...

1 minute ago, SweetieDarling said:

At least you're not superglued to the trim on Luann's dress?

No, but I'm fairly certain I have a vintage Coro bracelet that could be a match for that trim - somewhere in my Sonja troves of treasures.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

But I can also understand where it would make Carole uneasy about introducing Lu to any future friends. Carole has an eclectic group of friends that range from non-famous to famous. Would Lu consistently ask Carole's friends things like this?  It would make me uneasy. 

Right. Ranjana wasn't overly miffed by it, because she appears to be a very nice lady. And it's probably not the first time they've been asked a ridiculous request like that. But it definitely raised red flags for Carole, because another friend might not be as laid back and cool about it as Ranjana was. 

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Right. Ranjana wasn't overly miffed by it, because she appears to be a very nice lady. And it's probably not the first time they've been asked a ridiculous request like that. But it definitely raised red flags for Carole, because another friend might not be as laid back and cool about it as Ranjana was. 

To me the only reason it raised red flags to Carole is because she couldn't stand Luann. She even tried to convince Ranjana of how it was awful and she was having none of it so I don't think it had much to do with how Lu would interact with other friends of hers.

• Love 5

Very true.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Perhaps it's timely that Luann divorce Tom. If he took a bad hit financially, as his wife, she could have found herself having to pony up money. I'd hate to think that she'd lose her Sag Harbor home, for instance, for that cad. 

Maybe my financial guess was so far off after all.  I am thinking Luann was sharp enough to have a pre-nup that secured her separate property.  I still think she is fairly savvy when it comes to financial manners and negotiating her various contracts. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, zoeysmom said:

was sharp enough to have a pre-nup that secured her separate property.  I still think she is fairly savvy when it comes to financial manners and negotiating her various contracts. 

I think she was judicious too, but that doesn't stop him from trying. What was that media byte about him suing her for the money he had sunk into the Sag Harbor kitchen? I wouldn't put it past him to pad the bills. If I was her I'd be especially angry that he's out wining and dining other women on marital money. 

11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

If I was her I'd be especially angry that he's out wining and dining other women on marital money. 

We have no idea the state of their finances. I know plenty of married couples that maintain separate bank accounts.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

We have no idea the state of their finances. I know plenty of married couples that maintain separate bank accounts.

No, we really don't. He comes off as sly to me and I just think that he would use her or not think twice about deceiving Luann. Separate bank accounts are a smart move. Luann is no dummy. Let's hope all her ducks are in a row. I think her earnings from the Bravo show would be marital money unless she had it stipulated in a pre-nup that her earnings were not. Alas, we really don't know, but the details should come out in the divorce. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Luann was fairly clear about their pre-nup.  I can't imagine she signed up to support Tom.

7 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Sounds like Bethenny knew what she was talking about when she said last season that Tom didn't actually have any money. Lu brushed it off, but the things that Bethenny is right about.....

My take away is Tom and more importantly his father use "other people's money".  This is a fairly old lawsuit but I am surprised it wasn't brought to light in the media before the nuptials.  If I were Luann I would run, run far away.  Interesting we never saw Tom's dad.  We saw his mom.  What gives?   

• Love 7
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

Luann was fairly clear about their pre-nup.  I can't imagine she signed up to support Tom.

My take away is Tom and more importantly his father use "other people's money".  This is a fairly old lawsuit but I am surprised it wasn't brought to light in the media before the nuptials.  If I were Luann I would run, run far away.  Interesting we never saw Tom's dad.  We saw his mom.  What gives?   

Tom's mom gave me serious MIL from hell battle axe vibes.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

Tom's mom gave me serious MIL from hell battle axe vibes.

Didn't Ramona claim that a friend of Luann's MIL told her that Luann's MIL claimed Luann was hitting on some young guy?  Not that I necessarily believe Ramona's sources but it did sound as if Tom's mom was a little loose lipped.  To me, Luann did the right thing by dropping the D'Agostino  name like a hot potato.  Sounds like the family has some huge issues.  Not the least of which is a civil fraud case.

• Love 3

As far as Tom and Lu goes, these stories of financial stuff is just BS.  I have no doubt they had an iron clad prenup.  Lu may have been in love but she's not naive. 

I also don't believe that Tom had 'no' money.  He's still the head of a company and his 'penthouse' and place just west of Palm Beach aren't in foreclosure.  At least as far as I know. 

Bottom line for me, is for whatever reason, the marriage didn't work.  I think Lu is devastated.  Tom, not so much.  The divorce will proceed quite easily and Lu will make lemonade out of lemons.  Because that's what she does.  She 'just' moves on.  Love or hate her, she does have the ability to move on.  Maybe when you're a debatable, hot fifty something year old, you can do this.  BTW, I do think she's a hot woman.  I'll give her that.  She's not a Ro or So.  She's never come across as being desperate. 

• Love 13

Sounds like Bethenny knew what she was talking about when she said last season that Tom didn't actually have any money. Lu brushed it off, but the things that Bethenny is right about.....

Bethenny was right.

Barbara was right.

Missy was right.

Isaac Mizrahi was right.

We could start selling tee-shirts!

Love or hate her, she does have the ability to move on

Yeah...on to her next mark! Er, I mean, her next "soulmate" lol

• Love 11

So I was idling around in my iPad video cache and I found S1 Ep1 and watched it.  There's Missy front and centre with Ramona, so clearly they've been friends for evah.  I can imagine that Ramona was 'bringing Missy round to the parties' because they seemed to be genuine friends.

(Also Ramona looked and sounded So Much Better back then.)

• Love 4

How freakin' small IS Manhattan, damn!  It's like the most inbred society ever.  Get off the island once in a while, ladies!  Meet someone who hasn't been had by everyone in your social circle already. Jeez!  

And that goes for all y'all ... Ramona, Sonja, Luann, Bethenny, Carole ... they've all hooked up with a guy who has been with someone they know.  

LOL of course Ramona considers going to Brooklyn taking a trip to a third world country, so she's a lost cause. But the others don't seem to fear travel.  Aren't there rich dudes to hook up with anywhere else? 

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, quaintirene said:

So I was idling around in my iPad video cache and I found S1 Ep1 and watched it.  There's Missy front and centre with Ramona, so clearly they've been friends for evah.  I can imagine that Ramona was 'bringing Missy round to the parties' because they seemed to be genuine friends.

I thought Lu looked much better in season one also. She wore much less mascara, I think. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, quaintirene said:

So does this make Ramona a hypocrite for dating Tom after Missy or not caring that Missy dated Tom after her depending on the timeline. 

• Love 5

Tidbits from Lu's interview with Andy.

Apparently the final straw came that weekend before the reunion when she was at Jill's charity deal. He went out with some friends, and called up an old girlfriend to come along. She found out about it in the tabloids. 

Oh, and that slap that she had earlier referred to as more of a love pat. It wasn't. It was her grabbing his face "in the heat of the moment" when she wanted him to really listen to her. 

Sounds like this whole deal was over, with the exception of actually filing the papers, when they shot the reunion. 

So the conclusion is that Tom is the dirt bag that everyone thought he was.

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

How freakin' small IS Manhattan, damn!  It's like the most inbred society ever.  Get off the island once in a while, ladies!  Meet someone who hasn't been had by everyone in your social circle already. Jeez!  

And that goes for all y'all ... Ramona, Sonja, Luann, Bethenny, Carole ... they've all hooked up with a guy who has been with someone they know.  

LOL of course Ramona considers going to Brooklyn taking a trip to a third world country, so she's a lost cause. But the others don't seem to fear travel.  Aren't there rich dudes to hook up with anywhere else? 

Manhattan isn't small. The social circles these people run in are small. They go to the same restaurants and bars. They hang out with the same people. They go to the same events. I love that story about Dorinda getting into a fight at the Regency with Harry Dubin who happened to be there. As folks were trying to calm her down, someone who wasn't Harry knew to call John. This is a highly incestuous circle.

They remind me of the Vanderpump Rules crew. The Vanderpump Rules folks have all slept with each other.

The other problem is that none of these women want to put any effort into dating. They're all horrified that John lives in Queens. They acted like they were going on a major excursion when they had to go to Brooklyn for Alex. The reality is that there is probably some very nice wealthy man in his late 40s to 50s who would be perfect, but he lives in New Jersey or Connecticut or even Queens.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Tidbits from Lu's interview with Andy.

Apparently the final straw came that weekend before the reunion when she was at Jill's charity deal. He went out with some friends, and called up an old girlfriend to come along. She found out about it in the tabloids. 

Oh, and that slap that she had earlier referred to as more of a love pat. It wasn't. It was her grabbing his face "in the heat of the moment" when she wanted him to really listen to her. 

Sounds like this whole deal was over, with the exception of actually filing the papers, when they shot the reunion. 

So the conclusion is that Tom is the dirt bag that everyone thought he was.

This is what I don't like about Luann.  She now has admitted she knew it was over with her and Tom before the Reunion.  Yet she continued to brag about what a great relationship she was in, make excuses for Tom - and blame Ramona for bringing Missy around.  Unbelievable.

• Love 15
27 minutes ago, escape said:

This is what I don't like about Luann.  She now has admitted she knew it was over with her and Tom before the Reunion.  Yet she continued to brag about what a great relationship she was in, make excuses for Tom - and blame Ramona for bringing Missy around.  Unbelievable.

Small wonder why poor Luann is doubted and questioned, lol.  She couldn't be honest if her life depended on it.  And everyone on the show knows it.  

• Love 12
(edited)
38 minutes ago, escape said:

Never mind

Edited by zoeysmom
7 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

First off we don't know that Luann actually said that in her interview with Andy.  

Yes we do.  Bravo has a preview clip available on their website.

I don't know when Jill's event was, but Luann clearly states that her relationship with Tom fell apart the weekend BEFORE the reunion.  She said was away and Tom called up an old girlfriend and they went out with a group of people.  Luann didn't know about it but she found out the next day in the press.  She says that was the last straw.  

So when Luann sat there on the couch talking about her wonderful life with Tom, she had already decided her marriage was over.  

I have to lol at how she describes the last straw as being when Tom went out with an ex and she heard about it in the press.   I suppose she meant the going out with an ex part was the last straw, but it sounded as if the fact that the story made it into the press bothered her just as much.  Her concern with appearances is really mind-blowing sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me if she let a small truth slip out accidentally.  Who knows, maybe if the story had not made the tabloids, they'd still be together.  And Luann would still be talking about her wonderful marriage to anyone dumb enough willing to listen.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, escape said:

And still she chose to wear at the Reunion that white gown that appears in dozens of photos of the wedding marathon. That blows my mind!

How can a 52-year-old woman be so short-sighted? Was she thinking, "I need to convince everyone during this reunion taping that I am blissfully happy as Tom's wife. Then we'll divorce, but there is no need to prepare for a reaction to that because that won't happen for another week or so."

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, escape said:

She also said it was a "love tap" she gave Tom when in reality she was grabbing his face in anger.  I don't blame any of the other women for not believing a word that comes out of her mouth. 

Call me an asshole if you want but I feel no sympathy for Luann whatsoever. Not a speck of sympathy. After calling the other women jealous repeatedly and rubbing her "great relationship" in their faces, I think she got exactly what she deserved. After all of her gushing about how happy she was and how much in life she be she and Tom were, I'm happy that she's humiliated now. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Call me an asshole if you want but I feel no sympathy for Luann whatsoever. Not a speck of sympathy. After clung the other women jealous repeatedly and rubbing her "great relationship" in their faces, I think she got exactly what she deserved. After all of her gushing about how happy she was and how much in life she be she and Tom were, I'm happy that she's humiliated now

I feel badly that she put herself in this position but there's a saying. God gets those who gloat. 

• Love 3

How lazy is Tom that he can't seem to summon the energy to charm someone new-- these have all been ex-girlfriends, no?

Playboy kissing buddy at Regency Deborah Driggs

woman Ramona said he bought a bracelet for

Missy Pool

blonde at dive bar in Sag Harbor

eta: Oh, the divorcée from Philadelphia was a new conquest.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, escape said:

3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Small wonder why poor Luann is doubted and questioned, lol.  She couldn't be honest if her life depended on it.  And everyone on the show knows it.  

2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't know when Jill's event was, but Luann clearly states that her relationship with Tom fell apart the weekend BEFORE the reunion.  She was away.  Tom called up an old girlfriend and they went out with a group of people.  Luann didn't know about it but she found out the next day in the press.  She says that was the last straw.  

So when Luann sat there on the couch talking about her (fill in the blank) life with Tom, she had (supposedly) already decided her marriage was over.  

I have to lol at how she describes the last straw as being when Tom went out with an ex and she heard about it in the press.   I suppose she meant the going out with an ex part was the last straw, but it sounded as if the fact that the story made it into the press bothered her just as much.  Her concern with appearances is really mind-blowing sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me if she let a small truth slip out accidentally.  Who knows, maybe if the story had not made the tabloids, they'd still be together.  And Luann would still be talking about her wonderful marriage to anyone dumb enough willing to listen.

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And still she chose to wear at the Reunion that white gown that appears in dozens of photos of the wedding marathon. That blows my mind!

How can a 52-year-old woman be so short-sighted? Was she thinking, "I need to convince everyone during this reunion taping that I am blissfully happy as Tom's wife. Then we'll divorce, but there is no need to prepare for a reaction to that because that won't happen for another week or so."

1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

She also said it was a "love tap" she gave Tom when in reality she was grabbing his face in anger.  I don't blame any of the other women for not believing a word that comes out of her mouth. 

Call me an asshole if you want but I feel no sympathy for Luann whatsoever. Not a speck of sympathy. After calling the other women jealous repeatedly and rubbing her "great relationship" in their faces, I think she got exactly what she deserved. After all of her gushing about how happy she was and how much in life she be she and Tom were, I'm happy that she's humiliated now. 

The thing that gets me about LuAnn is her revisionist nonsense. We know that as these events were happening she was denying every one of these incidents. Additionally, her statements implying that all of the stories in the press were just the other women in the cast creating unnecessary drama pissed me off. She knew that the events that were being reported on were true. There's no reason to drag the other women into the situation. She could have given a statement a lot like either the reunion last year or during the talking heads simply talking about how there is a lot of adjustment for both of them. She doesn't need to constantly sell this happy happy happy story all the time.

Here is her denial about Tom at the bar at Sag Harbor

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/31/luann-defends-marriage-to-tom-he-hits-on-blond-at-dive-bar/

Here is her denying the slap

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/20/luann-de-lesseps-denies-slapping-husband-tom-in-public/

http://www.eonline.com/news/867749/real-housewives-of-new-york-city-s-luann-d-agostino-defends-her-tumultuous-marriage-to-tom-d-agostino

She is overly fixated on whether her life makes the press. As much as she doesn't want to be humiliated in the press, Tom was still the one to file for divorce. She alleges that she knew it was over, but she still choked it down for 3 more weeks until he filed? Do not even try to sell me this empowerment tea. Her ass would still be with him. Has she ever broken up with anyone? And by this I mean, realized a relationship wasn't working and ended it and not because you wanted to be with someone else. Alex filed. Tom filed. Jacques broke up with her. I think her M.O. might be ghosting because that's what she did with Rey and kinda did with the boyfriend she left for Alex.

• Love 11