Type keyword(s) to search

Luann & Tom's Divorce: The Slap Heard 'Round the (RH) World

• Start Topic

Guesses On Why Luann and Tom Decided to Divorce?   POLL OPEN

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I recall it, Luann got the Hampton's house in the divorce and sold it for about $8 million dollars. Then she bought the Sag Harbor house for about $2+ million. I think she's doing okay.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

As I recall it, Luann got the Hampton's house in the divorce and sold it for about $8 million dollars. Then she bought the Sag Harbor house for about $2+ million. I think she's doing okay.

She apparently did sell the house for $8MM, but as others have pointed out, that doesn't mean she walked away with $8MM. There could have been a mortgage on the home and she could have walked away with a little, or with a lot. 

• Love 7

We had a conversation here about whether servers might have given the slap to the tabloids.  Just last weekend there was a photo of Katy Perry and Robert Patterson.  So turns out that was the Tower Bar in LA and they ban all photography.  3 servers were fired. Not because they took the pictures but because they didn't stop the patron from taking them.  So Tom needs to move he tongue dance to this bar in LA.  Problem solved!

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

We had a conversation here about whether servers might have given the slap to the tabloids.  Just last weekend there was a photo of Katy Perry and Robert Patterson.  So turns out that was the Tower Bar in LA and they ban all photography.  3 servers were fired. Not because they took the pictures but because they didn't stop the patron from taking them.  So Tom needs to move he tongue dance to this bar in LA.  Problem solved!

I hope it is their written job description that they are to stop patrons from taking pictures because otherwise the employer, if sued, will be paying some fees.  This is another example of reporters taking things too far. I smell BS. How does a server prevent a patron from taking, let alone disseminating a photo?

• Love 8

There is no way a busy server can observe every customer at all times to prevent them from taking a photograph. How about people not do things they don't want to see on social media the next day? There's a new idea.

• Love 17
16 hours ago, BBHN said:

Luann: Habibi!

Camel: Gahba!

Luanna: Khalas!  Yalla bye!

Ok, Lu's really horrid Arabic accent killed me on that Morocco trip.  I need to go back and watch but I also think they were misusing habibi (without even going into the whole habibti is for women but pretty much everyone uses habibi). 

• Love 1

Proof that I am putting off thinking about something truly important in my life: I have decided that Andy and bravo knew about the split before she announced it. In fact, probably well before the announcement was made. Look at all the attention and discussion and publicity  that it and the show and the looming reunion are  getting right now, not just the split but the timing of it.

In other words, I think that shifty eyed Siamese cat was in on it all along.

For what it's worth! 

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, mostlylurking said:

Ok so yesterday I was listening to the Jenny McCarthy show on Sirius because she always has funny recaps of the episodes.  She has on some chick who works for Reality Tea.  I don' t know that site so I don't know if it's legit or not but this chick was saying there are rumors that Tom was due to come into some big inheritance on his 50th birthday but only if he was married.  So he married Lu just shy of his 50th, got the money and gave some to Lu to just play along.  Maybe she was sick of his shit and decided to give him the boot earlier than planned, since she filed first.  I so hope this is true because it's amazing.  Apologies if this has already been discussed, I didn't read every post.

I don't think the other ladies will gloat.  For some reason they treat each other like shit but at the end of the day they have each other's backs.  Every time one of the women has gone through these public scandals they band together.  That's one of the reasons I like this cast.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THIS I can believe.

• Love 6

I just saw a preview for the reunion.  I'm not sure they need to reshoot.  

Timing is pretty clear.  LuAnn likely knew the marriage was over before filming the reunion.  What she says during the reunion won't be much different than what should would have said if they filmed the reunion after the fact.  Timing is too close.  Thoughts and feelings won't have changed much.

Also, with LuAnn continuing the charade of the marriage during taping, the other women have more of a green light to weigh in.  If they filmed after the fact, the women would have held back out of respect for LuAnn.  

Better TV to air what they already filmed than a post-announcement reshoot.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I'm going with "a little bit of all of the above" :)

Agree.

Can't wrap my brain around the "Lu the Starry Eyed, Lovestruck Ingenue" she tried to sell.

My money's on a money angle to this.

• Love 9
On 8/4/2017 at 2:58 PM, Cherrio said:

It took two to tango.   Tom may be all the things posted here and cheated. But Luann as she said herself is a grown woman who KNEW what she was doing.

She knew for years who he was and what he does. She certainly knew in Miami. She knew when she tried to get Dorinda in on the lies and cover-up.

She knew exactly who she married.

And as my historian friend always tells me, "we weren't there"  so who knows what ended it.

Luann supposedly hooked up with him the first night while he was with another woman.

He is no prize. He has a conehead for g-- sakes.

She is no prize either.

She slap ala franciased him in public......poor little guy.   :)

She lost him the same way she got him is my theory.  He could not help helping himself to other ladies.   Hopefully this will give her a bit of empathy next time she thinks about walking away with another man while he is on a date with someone else.  As a human with empathy I feel for what she must be going through but 1) I think she is more embarrassed than anything and 2) its a little bit of schadenfreude for how she is not a girls girl and had not one ounce of empathy re the woman he was seeing when they hooked up.  I will congratulate her on securing her apple for one more season.

• Love 15

The bartenders on WWHL had 3 shirts in support of Lu:

#istandwithluann

Chic c'est la free

...& the last one along the lines of,

Traded countess for wife and now in charge of her life

I kinda would wear any and all out in public, just to see how many and what kind of reactions came along!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

She lost him the same way she got him is my theory.  He could not help helping himself to other ladies.   Hopefully this will give her a bit of empathy next time she thinks about walking away with another man while he is on a date with someone else.  As a human with empathy I feel for what she must be going through but 1) I think she is more embarrassed than anything and 2) its a little bit of schadenfreude for how she is not a girls girl and had not one ounce of empathy re the woman he was seeing when they hooked up.  I will congratulate her on securing her apple for one more season.

Didn't she do this to Sonia after Harry gave Sonia a fake ring at a party they were attending? I recall a scene with Harry & Sonia, and the next scene was Harry leaving with Luann. I guess not really the same, but hard to feel sorry for Lu, especially if she is a female version of Tom, Tom lite.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Yep, sounds very plausible.

in addition, I read somewhere that he did not gel with his stepdaughter.

I had a divorcee fifty something friend with a grown daughter who married an older bachelor in October and they were on the verge of divorce by Hannukah.

It was too much of an adjustment for the dude and she had a hard time with her elderly mil. Plus, she had a bad Bergdoff Goodman's habit on his dime.

They are now divorced.

I think that In Lu and Tom's case, they also realized also that they are better off without each other.

Is Missy the one whom he use to give  birthdays presents?

I bet you that he will marry again with a younger chick within 5 years. He has been broken in. Lol

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Didn't she do this to Sonia after Harry gave Sonia a fake ring at a party they were attending? I recall a scene with Harry & Sonia, and the next scene was Harry leaving with Luann. I guess not really the same, but hard to feel sorry for Lu, especially if she is a female version of Tom, Tom lite.

No, nothing happened between Luann and Harry that night. That was all a BS story told by Sonja and Ramona to hurt Luann. They all went out dancing that night, including Harry and Sonja except that Harry rode in the taxi Luann and a couple of others rode in. Oh, and it was a lie that Harry was ever interested in marrying Sonja! LOL

• Love 8

At best, she loved the idea of Tom and the idea of being married (or, having a grand wedding) that she seemed to willfully ignore all the signs that were there right in front of her, choosing to go after the messengers instead.

At worst, she did it for a storyline.

She did date Harry, didn't she? Either way, her hooking up with Tom while he was dating another women and also occasionally banging married men means karma was probably gunning for her.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

She did. I wonder if she does it to get a boost of self esteem. She's the type of woman that people call "handsome."  She's good looking but she doesn't have that female sexuality that men like. I think Sonja had that at one time. Missy had it too.  The blonde stereotypes. Luanne seemed to get a real kick out of the fact that Tom asked her to get married, not one of those sleek blonde types. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

This is my feeling as well. And I mean, c'mon! Maya Angelou told us that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Back in December I met this guy while out getting dinner. We chatted for hours and before I left, we exchanged contact info. That night I found out that he was recently divorced (as in finalized earlier in the year), but he'd been married for 10+ years and had a child with his ex. In the days of communicating with him and then having dinner with him a couple weeks later, he also told the story about how he'd packed up and moved out of the home he shared with his wife while she was away on a business trip, giving her no warning. That story? Let me know that I could never invite this man into my life in any sort of serious capacity. 

LuAnn leaving with a man who was in the middle of a date showed exactly what kind of man Tom is. Do people meet others while they are on dates with someone else? Sure. But that he couldn't even see it through to properly complete one date should've given LuAnn some pause. 

I also think Tom was unwilling to tone it down for LuAnn's sake. And when I say "for LuAnn's sake," I mean that he had no interest in at least being discreet (I always have to stop and check that I'm using the correct spelling/meaning lol) with his horndog ways for the women he supposedly loved. The previous season had shown that the HWs weren't going to stop talking on camera about his trash behavior (the way they kept the Count's trash off the show even though behind the scenes they all knew LuAnn's marriage there wasn't stable). I think--since we know he filed--that he decided getting his D wet with every Missy was more important than keeping up appearances.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Mozelle said:

he also told the story about how he'd packed up and moved out of the home he shared with his wife while she was away on a business trip, giving her no warning. That story? Let me know that I could never invite this man into my life in any sort of serious capacity. 

WTF? He told you this openly, with no sense of how awful it was?  (Cruel *and* clueless -- what a twofer.)

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, film noire said:

WTF? He told you this openly, with no sense of how awful it was?  (Cruel *and* clueless -- what a twofer.)

Awful to say the least. 

But certainly believable that someone would just say something like that, with zero knowledge that it made them sound like a total asshole. Lu told the story of her own meeting with Tom, seemingly proud that she had "won", and didn't seem to recognize how horrible the behavior was. Horrible behavior on both their parts. 

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, film noire said:

Sure did. It was supposed to be illustrative of how when he's done with someone, he's done with them. What it showed me was that if I dated him, he'd likely treat me even worse than that.

20 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Awful to say the least. 

But certainly believable that someone would just say something like that, with zero knowledge that it made them sound like a total asshole. Lu told the story of her own meeting with Tom, seemingly proud that she had "won", and didn't seem to recognize how horrible the behavior was. Horrible behavior on both their parts. 

Exactly. LuAnn was too focused on having "won" that she didn't seem to think about how Tom's behavior with another woman could easily show itself toward her. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mozelle said:

Sure did. It was supposed to be illustrative of how when he's done with someone, he's done with them. What it showed me was that if I dated him, he'd likely treat me even worse than that.

Exactly. LuAnn was too focused on having "won" that she didn't seem to think about how Tom's behavior with another woman could easily show itself toward her. 

Luann thought she was THE one that could change/tame him, She isn't the first woman that felt that way about a guy who treats women like garbage to use and throw away and sadly, she won't be the last. 

• Love 3

Luann is too old, too seasoned, and been around the block one too many times to believe that. Or at least, she should be.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 12

Thing is, it was Tom who called Time on the marriage.  He filed first.  We don't know whether LuAnn even knew he was going to do that.  It's certainly possible that she didn't.  Was it because of his catting around?  Honestly I doubt it.  LuAnn wasn't put off by all the stories ahead of the marriage so why should she care afterwards?  It just gives her a little more licence to get...um...piratical when she feels like it.  They had pre-nups so it's not gonna cost either of them much.  But LuAnn did make her 'Rose' a constant theme in the season and that doesn't make sense to me if they were fighting from the jump.  To me, it's more like Tom watched the season.  Realized this was gonna be his life from now on if LuAnn didn't quit the show.  Asked her to quit.  And she refused.  I mean, you gotta be a saint to watch your wife get absolutely plastered and fall into the bushes and lie there giggling helplessly until some guy comes along and hauls her up getting a good luck at her underwear in the process.  It's one thing to screw around with a bunch of UES desperados and have fun.  It's quite different when you marry one and expect her to maybe act appropriately and then get to watch her avid smile when she sees Sonja apparently trying to screw Bethenny.  Call me uncool.  But if my husband thought I was overly familiar with a 'partouze' I think he would start to wonder a little...  Cos the thing is that's what we saw onscreen.  What has she been up to that we didn't see?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I wonder if Lu slapped/love tapped/adoringly caressed Tom's face when he told her he wanted a divorce.

I suspect it was that he demanded she quit the show or else!

• Love 1

Just rewatched the scene with Ramona and Lu walking on Madison. Ramona tells her that she heard from two of Tom's close friends that Tom was on a date with another woman whom he had been dating for three months, they were holding hands, and Lu jumped right on him. Lu just smiles and kind of shrugs. It didn't seem like the editing. But I might not be as good at spotting editing hijinks as some of you are.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Mozelle said:

This is my feeling as well. And I mean, c'mon! Maya Angelou told us that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Back in December I met this guy while out getting dinner. We chatted for hours and before I left, we exchanged contact info. That night I found out that he was recently divorced (as in finalized earlier in the year), but he'd been married for 10+ years and had a child with his ex. In the days of communicating with him and then having dinner with him a couple weeks later, he also told the story about how he'd packed up and moved out of the home he shared with his wife while she was away on a business trip, giving her no warning. That story? Let me know that I could never invite this man into my life in any sort of serious capacity. 

LuAnn leaving with a man who was in the middle of a date showed exactly what kind of man Tom is. Do people meet others while they are on dates with someone else? Sure. But that he couldn't even see it through to properly complete one date should've given LuAnn some pause. 

I also think Tom was unwilling to tone it down for LuAnn's sake. And when I say "for LuAnn's sake," I mean that he had no interest in at least being discreet (I always have to stop and check that I'm using the correct spelling/meaning lol) with his horndog ways for the women he supposedly loved. The previous season had shown that the HWs weren't going to stop talking on camera about his trash behavior (the way they kept the Count's trash off the show even though behind the scenes they all knew LuAnn's marriage there wasn't stable). I think--since we know he filed--that he decided getting his D wet with every Missy was more important than keeping up appearances.

Lu met the Count while she was living with her boyfriend of 2 years. While the boyfriend was away on business, LuAnn met the Count at a party and had a week long fling with him. The Count proposed. She moved all of her stuff out the place she shared with her boyfriend and only let her boyfriend know after the fact. When the women talked about Tom leaving his date to go home with Lu, Lu responded that you can't steal a man. The reality is that LuAnn thought nothing of Tom dumping his date because Lu and Tom are the exact same person. Ditching her date mid-date is something she would do. It's possible he cheated. It's possible she cheated.

More than anything, I think Tom didn't anticipate having to compete for her time. Between being a Housewife, her product lines, her charities, her kids, and her friends, she had a lot of demands on her time. I think her kids were the most problematic for Tom. Noel is in college in Maryland, but Victoria is kicking around New York and the Hamptons being an artist/model/scenester dumbass. And I don't think she earns nearly enough to support herself.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, quaintirene said:

Thing is, it was Tom who called Time on the marriage.  He filed first.  We don't know whether LuAnn even knew he was going to do that.  It's certainly possible that she didn't.  Was it because of his catting around?  Honestly I doubt it.  LuAnn wasn't put off by all the stories ahead of the marriage so why should she care afterwards?  It just gives her a little more licence to get...um...piratical when she feels like it.  They had pre-nups so it's not gonna cost either of them much.  But LuAnn did make her 'Rose' a constant theme in the season and that doesn't make sense to me if they were fighting from the jump.  To me, it's more like Tom watched the season.  Realized this was gonna be his life from now on if LuAnn didn't quit the show.  Asked her to quit.  And she refused.  I mean, you gotta be a saint to watch your wife get absolutely plastered and fall into the bushes and lie there giggling helplessly until some guy comes along and hauls her up getting a good luck at her underwear in the process.  It's one thing to screw around with a bunch of UES desperados and have fun.  It's quite different when you marry one and expect her to maybe act appropriately and then get to watch her avid smile when she sees Sonja apparently trying to screw Bethenny.  Call me uncool.  But if my husband thought I was overly familiar with a 'partouze' I think he would start to wonder a little...  Cos the thing is that's what we saw onscreen.  What has she been up to that we didn't see?

It is hard for me to believe that Tom didn't know who Lu was before he married her. He made his big cameo in the first season, and then dated Sonja. No one will ever be able to convince me he didn't watch this show, even on the down low. He had to have known about her little deal with the Pirate. Falling down drunk in the bushes is nothing compared to fucking a guy you just met while on vacation, when you have a significant other back home. In a situation where cameras are all over the place. If you can get past that, you can get past too much tequila. Especially if you are a dude who claimed he was so drunk at the Regency that he didn't know what he was doing when he was making out with a blonde in a room full of people. This is truly a situation where neither of the parties involved can act shocked by the level of humiliation that the other is willing/able to throw at someone they pretend to love. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Actually, she didn't.  She wore the dress she wore to the rehearsal dinner.  Big difference IMO.

I originally thought that as well. But nope, it was the 3rd of her wedding dresses.

http://people.com/style/rhony-luann-de-lesseps-wedding-dress-details/

Which makes it all the more strange. She had already seen the footage from the finale. They were already having issues, if her statement last week about the fact that they were arguing and simply could not get along (I think she said it was "impossible") is true. She said they had been working hard, which I would assume would mean they were working hard when they filmed the reunion. Why wear one of your wedding dresses?

I will say that I love that neckline on Lu. She really knows how to dress her body for the most part (although I didn't care for her other wedding dresses).

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

It is hard for me to believe that Tom didn't know who Lu was before he married her. He made his big cameo in the first season, and then dated Sonja. No one will ever be able to convince me he didn't watch this show, even on the down low. He had to have known about her little deal with the Pirate. Falling down drunk in the bushes is nothing compared to fucking a guy you just met while on vacation, when you have a significant other back home. In a situation where cameras are all over the place. If you can get past that, you can get past too much tequila. Especially if you are a dude who claimed he was so drunk at the Regency that he didn't know what he was doing when he was making out with a blonde in a room full of people. This is truly a situation where neither of the parties involved can act shocked by the level of humiliation that the other is willing/able to throw at someone they pretend to love. 

I agree with most of your post but, IMO, there is a world of difference watching it happen to others and then experiencing it first hand yourself. I think Tom hated the scrutiny he got after they got married. I think he/Luann thought it would die down then but it didn't and anywhere he went without Luann seemed to get reported on in the tabloids/gossip rags/blogs. I am sure his business and family were affected by all this hounding. 

9 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I originally thought that as well. But nope, it was the 3rd of her wedding dresses.

Which makes it all the more strange. She had already seen the footage from the finale. They were already having issues, if her statement last week about the fact that they were arguing and simply could not get along (I think she said it was "impossible") is true. She said they had been working hard, which I would assume would mean they were working hard when they filmed the reunion. Why wear one of your wedding dresses?

I will say that I love that neckline on Lu. She really knows how to dress her body for the most part (although I didn't care for her other wedding dresses).

That would have made it the dress she wore for Tom's birthday celebration, not her wedding/reception dress(s). 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

That would have made it the dress she wore for Tom's birthday celebration, not her wedding/reception dress(s). 

I have no idea. I've never been involved in a Wedding/Birthday/New Year's Eve Bash. It all sounds bat shit crazy to me. All I know is she made a huge deal out of having 3 wedding dresses. Many of her interviews were about the fact that she wanted 3 wedding dresses. And the dress she wore at the reunion was one of those three dresses that she called a wedding dress. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Lu met the Count while she was living with her boyfriend of 2 years. While the boyfriend was away on business, LuAnn met the Count at a party and had a week long fling with him. The Count proposed. She moved all of her stuff out the place she shared with her boyfriend and only let her boyfriend know after the fact. When the women talked about Tom leaving his date to go home with Lu, Lu responded that you can't steal a man. The reality is that LuAnn thought nothing of Tom dumping his date because Lu and Tom are the exact same person. Ditching her date mid-date is something she would do. It's possible he cheated. It's possible she cheated.

When she describes how it all went down with the Count and the boyfriend she was living with, she didn't seem at all remorseful or embarrassed. Plus, revealing this on camera showed once again how insensitive she was to the ex-boyfriend's feelings. 

24 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

That neckline and dress were much more flattering than the shiny turquoise dress she wore to one of the reunions (was it from her Evine collection?).

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Ditching her date mid-date is something she would do.

How did this "mid-date ditch" go down? Curious b/c everything I've read says that they were both having dinner, with different people, at The Mark at Jean Georges -- did they leave halfway through dinner? 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

And the dress she wore at the reunion was one of those three dresses that she called a wedding dress. 

Aha! See, money problems. She couldn't afford a new gown for the reunion. That's why they're divorcing.

• Love 7

did they leave halfway through dinner? 

Either he grabbed her hand or she grabbed his hand, depending on which of them is telling the story, and they were off (possibly to the bathroom, first).

• Love 4
On 8/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, BBHN said:

At best, she loved the idea of Tom and the idea of being married (or, having a grand wedding) that she seemed to willfully ignore all the signs that were there right in front of her, choosing to go after the messengers instead.

At worst, she did it for a storyline.

She did date Harry, didn't she? Either way, her hooking up with Tom while he was dating another women and also occasionally banging married men means karma was probably gunning for her.

That's a story I'd like the timeline on.

Luann was married to The Count, according to her it wasn't an open marriage until the last 2 years. She was then with Coert and Jacques.

Harry was married to Aviva I forget how many years.

So when did Luann date Harry?????

• Love 6
On 8/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, WireWrap said:

Luann thought she was THE one that could change/tame him, She isn't the first woman that felt that way about a guy who treats women like garbage to use and throw away and sadly, she won't be the last. 

Women who think they can change men are usually in their 20's. Luann has had a failed marriage and many failed relationships over the last 30 years. I would think that by now she would realize that she can't change men. Especially at 50 years old. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Lemons said:

Women who think they can change men are usually in their 20's. Luann has had a failed marriage and many failed relationships over the last 30 years. I would think that by now she would realize that she can't change men. Especially at 50 years old. 

Nahhh, age has nothing to do with it, so many people wears blinders until the truth slaps them upside the head. IMO, Luann/Tom didn't think their marriage/private lives would warrant this level of scrutiny after they said "I do", sadly, they were wrong.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/blogs/luann-de-lesseps-wore-her-wedding-rehearsal-dress-to-the

http://www.eonline.com/news/872702/luann-de-lesseps-wore-her-wedding-dress-to-the-real-housewives-of-new-york-reunion

Who knows.....