Type keyword(s) to search

Luann & Tom's Divorce: The Slap Heard 'Round the (RH) World

• Start Topic

Guesses On Why Luann and Tom Decided to Divorce?   POLL OPEN

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

The thing that gets me about LuAnn is her revisionist nonsense. We know that as these events were happening she was denying every one of these incidents. Additionally, her statements implying that all of the stories in the press were just the other women in the cast creating unnecessary drama pissed me off. She knew that the events that were being reported on were true. There's no reason to drag the other women into the situation. She could have given a statement a lot like either the reunion last year or during the talking heads simply talking about how there is a lot of adjustment for both of them. She doesn't need to constantly sell this happy happy happy story all the time.

Here is her denial about Tom at the bar at Sag Harbor

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/31/luann-defends-marriage-to-tom-he-hits-on-blond-at-dive-bar/

Here is her denying the slap

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/20/luann-de-lesseps-denies-slapping-husband-tom-in-public/

http://www.eonline.com/news/867749/real-housewives-of-new-york-city-s-luann-d-agostino-defends-her-tumultuous-marriage-to-tom-d-agostino

She is overly fixated on whether her life makes the press. As much as she doesn't want to be humiliated in the press, Tom was still the one to file for divorce. She alleges that she knew it was over, but she still choked it down for 3 more weeks until he filed? Do not even try to sell me this empowerment tea. Her ass would still be with him. Has she ever broken up with anyone? And by this I mean, realized a relationship wasn't working and ended it and not because you wanted to be with someone else. Alex filed. Tom filed. Jacques broke up with her. I think her M.O. might be ghosting because that's what she did with Rey and kinda did with the boyfriend she left for Alex.

She says, again and again and again, "Tom and I love each other" and "We've been through a lot" and "We're in love."

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Yes we do.  Bravo has a preview clip available on their website.

I don't know when Jill's event was, but Luann clearly states that her relationship with Tom fell apart the weekend BEFORE the reunion.  She said was away and Tom called up an old girlfriend and they went out with a group of people.  Luann didn't know about it but she found out the next day in the press.  She says that was the last straw.  

So when Luann sat there on the couch talking about her wonderful life with Tom, she had already decided her marriage was over.  

I have to lol at how she describes the last straw as being when Tom went out with an ex and she heard about it in the press.   I suppose she meant the going out with an ex part was the last straw, but it sounded as if the fact that the story made it into the press bothered her just as much.  Her concern with appearances is really mind-blowing sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me if she let a small truth slip out accidentally.  Who knows, maybe if the story had not made the tabloids, they'd still be together.  And Luann would still be talking about her wonderful marriage to anyone dumb enough willing to listen.

Concern with appearances to be sure.

I think that if the clip of Tom talking to Missy in the finale episode hadn't looked/sounded so damning, that she might have just continued to try and play this whole thing as the press getting it all wrong. She didn't have to do those interviews or issue those denials. Well, she was probably contractually obligated to do the WWHL gig. The other stuff she could have just kept to herself. But since she was denying both the fact that Tom had met another woman while out on the town with friends, and that she "slapped" him, it sounds to me like she was going to try and basically gloss over the whole thing.

They said they only saw the finale episode the night before they filmed the reunion. And asshole needs to de-mic while they are filming, which appearance-wise was bad and humiliating. Who could she blame at that point? She wanted to blame Ramona for bringing Missy everywhere (and no doubt about it, Ramona is an asshole), but it wasn't Ramona's fault that he said the things that he did. That was everyone seeing it with their own eyes and it was hard for her to deny it any longer and not look like a big fool. There just wasn't anyone else to blame at that point. Not the folks posting comments on random sites, not the press, not the other HW's. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Well, at least Luann isn't blaming her failed marriage on the pressure of the media and people questioning their relationship. 

Not yet, any way.

I think this sit down with Andy is do die with Luann keeping her job.   That is, if she is forth wright about what really happened - for once.  Because we all know Luann has always been more about being the Countess and saving face. It was clear at the Reunion, that Andy saw through her nonsense and was getting pissed at her. 

But if she continues blaming the other women or the show or making excuses - then she's done. 

Edited by escape
  • Love 8

But wasn't it Tom that applied for the divorce?  I get LuAnn losing it and filing but it was Tom who started the whole thing going.  So I'm not buying this from Our LuAnn.  I think there's something else going on that we don't know.  Yet.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don't think Lu's job is remotely in danger. 

I can't see why she would agree to sit down with Andy - knowing she will have to come clean.  And the Countess, who was demoted once before, is always about saving face.

Bottom line, for the last 2 seasons Luann used the show as a platform to relentlessly bragged about what a great catch Tom was, how he chose her - to the point where bridesmaid Dorinda told her to shut up.  She chose to blindly ignore all the red flags and accused her cast mates of lying and being jealous.  All this, to have it blow up in her face a mere 7 mos later.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, quaintirene said:

But wasn't it Tom that applied for the divorce?  I get LuAnn losing it and filing but it was Tom who started the whole thing going.  So I'm not buying this from Our LuAnn.  I think there's something else going on that we don't know.  Yet.

They filed on the same day. Who knows if she knew, it's not like you get a text alert when it's filed.

16 minutes ago, escape said:

can't see why she would agree to sit down with Andy - knowing she will have to come clean.  And the Countess, who was demoted once before, is always about saving face.

Because she wants to tell her side of the story. When she was demoted before she actually made more money than was a full time HW because they ended up needing her so much.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Because she wants to tell her side of the story. When she was demoted before she actually made more money than was a full time HW because they ended up needing her so much.

How did they need her? I think she ended up making that gig good because everyone invited her to everything. If anyone had wanted to exclude her, they could have, but they did not. Heather interviewed once that Lu was frantic when told she would only be a "friend of" and that Heather promised she would try to include her in as much of her filming as she could so she could get a lot of camera time. She encouraged others to do the same. Her fate was kind of in the hands of the other gals. 

• Love 6

because they ended up needing her so much.

Actually, it was because the other HWs - Heather particularly -  rallied around her and tried to include her in as many scenes as possible. Nothing to do with Bravo "needing" her.

Bottom line, for the last 2 seasons Luann used the show as a platform to relentlessly bragged about what a great catch Tom was, how he chose her - to the point where bridesmaid Dorinda told her to shut up.  She chose to blindly ignore all the red flags and accused her cast mates of lying and being jealous.  All this, to have it blow up in her face a mere 7 mos later.

That pretty much sums up her storyline for the last 2 seasons, and her relationship with Tom.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

If she actually did make more money in "Friend" status, then she wasn't that smart to move to back to full time.  Bottom line, that myth was just spun by her fans.  Just like the myth that Luann is so rich that she doesn't need HW's - after all, she is THE Countess, lol.  But the truth is, in the real world, that title means nothing.  Carole is actually a Princess, but she's not stupid to ever mention it.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, escape said:

she actually did make more money in "Friend" status, then she wasn't that smart to move to back to full time.  Bottom line, that myth was just spun by her fans. 

I have only heard it from podcast people in the know who aren't necessaiely Lu but I haven't seen her checks so I have no way of knowing if it's accurate. Housewives money is guaranteed and friend money is not. I also know what I saw on the screen and she had tons of screen time during her friend year and she was elevated again so I think that indicates that Production valued her and thought she was good for the show.

• Love 7

I also know what I saw on the screen and she had tons of screen time during her friend year and she was elevated again so I think that indicates that Production valued her and thought she was good for the show.

Or the other HWs made sure to include her so much it was difficult to edit her out?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Or the other HWs made sure to include her so much it was difficult to edit her out?

She even ended up getting her own scenes and if that were the case they wouldn't have promotes her back up.

• Love 3

"Friends of" get their own scenes sometimes. If Luann was The Savior people are tying to make her out to be, they wouldn't have brought back Bethenny and brought in Dorinda the next season.

Luann isn't the only HW who was demoted and then got promoted back up as well, so it isn't like this is some special  privilege that was awarded to her and only her.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, BBHN said:

"Friends of" get their own scenes sometimes. If Luann was The Savior people are tying to make her out to be, they wouldn't have brought back Bethenny and brought in Dorinda the next season.

Luann isn't the only HW who was demoted and then got promoted back up as well, so it isn't like this is some special  privilege that was awarded to her and only her.

latest?cb=20140912020437

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Normades said:

I'm not one to condone violence, but I hope Noel slapped Tom upside his bald head a few times.  I know my son would have!

Perhaps he could also have a sit down with Lu, stressing the importance of listening to your friends' and children's opinions and feelings on your intended, and pointing out the mountain of red flags she ignored in order to land the penthouse, yacht, and the bragging rights of getting a confirmed bachelor to marry her. 

Congratulations, Lu!  You bagged the prize that no one else wanted.

• Love 9
On 8/26/2017 at 8:26 PM, diadochokinesis said:

But I can also understand where it would make Carole uneasy about introducing Lu to any future friends. Carole has an eclectic group of friends that range from non-famous to famous. Would Lu consistently ask Carole's friends things like this?  It would make me uneasy. 

Ah, I can't believe I forgot Michelle!  I thought I had put her in and then checked and I forgot her!  I loved the one she wore at the CBC dinner. 

Let's face it. Lu needs to be known as Countess of Pretentiousness. That's what bugs so much about Palm Beach, the yacht, the penthouse...  It smacks of pretentiousness. We saw it in Season 1 with "educating" Bethenny on how she was supposed to introduce Lu to the driver. 

I would be SUPER mad if someone I work with was asking my friends for freebies.  It doesn't matter to me if the friend wasn't offended, it seems so gauche.  Especially for someone so status conscience.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, BBHN said:

Friends of" get their own scenes sometimes. If Luann was The Savior people are tying to make her out to be, they wouldn't have brought back Bethenny and brought in Dorinda the next season.

No one said she was a savior, just that production clearly values her presence no one forced them to promote her. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No one said she was a savior, just that production clearly values her presence no one forced them to promote her. 

Lu had a great season her "friend of" season. I liked her that year (the one and only year I think). But her great season was absolutely made - in part - by the other gals and the way they reacted to what had happened to her. All of them rallied around her to an extent, and it could have gone south for her quickly. For all the talk of how horrid they all are to each other (and they can be) it should be recognized when they treat each other with kindness and compassion and credit should be given (IMO) where credit is due. It takes a village after all!

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Lu had a great season her "friend of" season. I liked her that year (the one and only year I think). But her great season was absolutely made - in part - by the other gals and the way they reacted to what had happened to her. All of them rallied around her to an extent, and it could have gone south for her quickly. For all the talk of how horrid they all are to each other (and they can be) it should be recognized when they treat each other with kindness and compassion and credit should be given (IMO) where credit is due. It takes a village after all!

Of all the franchises I actually notice that these women have some real affection for each other. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, bagger said:

Of all the franchises I actually notice that these women have some real affection for each other. 

I'm going to disagree slightly. Jill and Bethenny were legit friends. Ramona and Sonja were close friends. However, it really isn't until Heather joined the cast that the women hung out with each other in the off season. All of them said that Heather made a big effort to make sure they kept in touch when they weren't filming. I guess this is why I'm still pissed that Ramona, Sonja, Lu, and Dorinda were quick to turn on Heather when Bethenny came back. Like I'm still so disappointed in Dorinda because of her nasty heel turn. Dorinda and Heather had spent a summer in the Berkshires getting to know each other and out of nowhere Dorinda just starts being an asshole to her.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I guess this is why I'm still pissed that Ramona, Sonja, Lu, and Dorinda were quick to turn on Heather when Bethenny came back. 

I deeply disliked Heather - the skully thing alone,  jesus -- but it *was* tacky of them all to turn on her (and just to curry favour with Frankel, imo).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm going to disagree slightly. Jill and Bethenny were legit friends. Ramona and Sonja were close friends. However, it really isn't until Heather joined the cast that the women hung out with each other in the off season. All of them said that Heather made a big effort to make sure they kept in touch when they weren't filming. I guess this is why I'm still pissed that Ramona, Sonja, Lu, and Dorinda were quick to turn on Heather when Bethenny came back. Like I'm still so disappointed in Dorinda because of her nasty heel turn. Dorinda and Heather had spent a summer in the Berkshires getting to know each other and out of nowhere Dorinda just starts being an asshole to her.

I agree this franchise is different, and also agree that Heather changed the overall dynamic in a big way because of her aim to get to know them all on camera as well as off (except Sonja - she said they never really had a big connection off the show). But I also think that Carole did the same. She tends to become close to the women off camera as well. We have seen it with Heather, Lu (she said they often hung out at Lu's Hampton pad), Bethenny, and now Tinsley. After her first season she talked in her blog about how she had spent a lot of time with Ramona in the off season getting to know her better and becoming close to some to Ramona's friends (she surprised me by saying that despite what we saw on TV from Ramona, that she had a group of loyal and loving friends and that seeing her with them had given her a different view of Ramona). She has formed a bond with Dorinda that is deep. I think that this goes a long way in making the vibe what it is, when there is one, or two people, that actually care about the others outside of just what is going on in the show. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, film noire said:

it *was* tacky of them all to turn on her (and just to curry favour with Frankel, imo).

Especially since it's not like any of them is actually friends with Bethenny now, except for Carole and Dorinda.

In Lu news, she's been spotted hanging with Jacques. Girl, don't. It looks desperate and thirsty. I thought they legitimately loved each other, but rushing back into another relationship isn't the greatest idea. It bolsters that argument that she cannot be alone.

http://pagesix.com/2017/08/28/luann-de-lesseps-and-tom-dagostino-jr-spotted-with-their-exes/

• Love 6

But if she continues blaming the other women or the show or making excuses - then she's done. 

Nah, Andy wouldn't give a shit. Teresa Giudice did nothing but make excuses - and actually did blame Bravo and her co-workers - for her felonious behavior, and her job remained intact.

• Love 4

At the very least, will be on Andy's shitlist, which, look for some potentially shitty editing next season?

In Lu news, she's been spotted hanging with Jacques. Girl, don't. It looks desperate and thirsty. I thought they legitimately loved each other, but rushing back into another relationship isn't the greatest idea. It bolsters that argument that she cannot be alone.

Seriously.

At least wait for the ink on the divorce forms to dry...assuming this is true, of course.

Teresa Giudice did nothing but make excuses - and actually did blame Bravo and her co-workers - for her felonious behavior, and her job remained intact.

Teresa was the breakout star of her franchise. Luann, not so much.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 5
On 8/29/2017 at 10:30 AM, escape said:

I think this sit down with Andy is do or die with Luann keeping her job.   That is, if she is forth wright about what really happened - for once.  Because we all know Luann has always been more about being the Countess and saving face. It was clear at the Reunion, that Andy saw through her nonsense and was getting pissed at her. 

I would agree that the Bravo overlords were mad that she chose to announce after they wrapped filming of the reunion. She has a reputation of hiding things and lying about her life. That disclaimer was basically Bravo saying to the viewers that you know which liar to blame for the lack of a segment with the juicy details of this crumbling wreck of a relationship. I also suspect that her participation in season 10 was contingent on her interview with Andy.

They filmed the reunion mid July. It had been story after story of discord. Tom and LuAnn jointly file on August 3rd. I think Bravo must have realized that Lu had already had conversations with Tom and her lawyer about ending the marriage. It was 2 weeks from when she filmed the reunion crowing about how in love she was with Tom and when she filed. Her lawyers were probably drafting her petition for divorce as they filmed the reunion. 

His side is now alleging that her slap/grab caused bleeding.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tom-dagostino-dating-again-amid-luann-de-lesseps-divorce-w500370

• Love 6
On 8/30/2017 at 10:50 AM, jaync said:

Nah, Andy wouldn't give a shit. Teresa Giudice did nothing but make excuses - and actually did blame Bravo and her co-workers - for her felonious behavior, and her job remained intact.

I dunno ... Bravo gets pretty pissy when you cut them out of the juicy stuff.  

But I agree with you it us unlikely Luann will be fired - she still has too much mileage left in her, especially if her divorce takes any more ugly turns (he was bleeding??????).  But I think she will feel Andy Cohen's wrath next season, fer sure.  I anticipate a supremely shitastic edit for her, LOL

She is nearing the end of her useful life on this show, though.  Her act is old. They may only be willing to keep her around for one or two more seasons just so they can milk her divorce and make a fool of her, then just cast her aside.  She is risking going out on a terrible note. 

Think about going out with your head held high and your dignity damaged but still somewhat intact, Countess!  Because as hard as it is to believe you could look any worse, you darn sure might after Bravo has another go at you.

• Love 11

I dunno ... Bravo gets pretty pissy when you cut them out of the juicy stuff.  

What juicy stuff was cut, though? The "slapping" incident happened after the season had filmed, and the divorce filing was post-reunion.

Anyway, Andy couldn't be too pissed at Luann if he granted her a one-on-one interview during the off-season.

• Love 7

Anyway, Andy couldn't be too pissed at Luann if he granted her a one-on-one interview during the off-season.

"You better bleed for me in this interview, "Countess", or you could lose your apple".

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jaync said:

What juicy stuff was cut, though? The "slapping" incident happened after the season had filmed, and the divorce filing was post-reunion.

There is a clip of Luann's interview with Andy posted at Bravo.  I linked it a page back.  In it, she admits that the weekend before the reunion was taped, Tom went out with an old girlfriend while she was away.  She heard about it in the media the next day and decided she was dunzo.  So when they were sitting there taping the reunion, Luann knew her marriage was down the shitter.  But she sat there and acted like it was all dandy, cheating Andy out of the story.  

You don't deny Andy Cohen access to your shame and misery, not if you want to keep your job - or be made to pay for it later in spades.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, jaync said:

I wouldn't refer to it as Andy "granting" Luann an interview - it's probably more like he told her she was doing it if she wanted to keep her job.

This interview isn't some kind of favor he is doing her.  He wants to cash in on the story she refused to tell at the reunion, that's all. 

• Love 11

In it, she admits that the weekend before the reunion was taped, Tom went out with an old girlfriend while she was away.

But, wasn't that addressed on the reunion? So, that juicy wasn't spared.

Looks like any heavy grilling may have been saved for the barbeque...

dish-082817-andy-leeann-embed-02.jpg?ito

Getting paid to do an interview in the comforts of home, with no other HWs around...chic c'est la vie, sa bonne sa bonne...

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, jaync said:

Whether or not this particular indiscretion of Tom was mentioned at the reunion (who can keep track? there are so many), Luann made it sound like they were a happy couple when she had actually decided to end the marriage.  That is the point.

Getting paid to do an interview in the comforts of home, with no other HWs around...chic c'est la vie, sa bonne sa bonne...

She doesn't look like she is feeling very "bonne" to me.  

Their faces in that pic say it all.

Yep. I think that is the most dour I have ever seen Luann look.  

There is just no spinning this interview as being some great thing she *got* to do, whoopee like it's a good thing ... her moment in the spotlight, with no other housewives around ... 

As big a famewhore as Luann is, I don't think this is something that she was thrilled to do - an expose on her desperation, her mistakes, her lies ... how her husband humiliated her with other women, how she grabbed his face in anger in public.  Not sa bonne at all. Very un-sa-bonne, in my opinion.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
i had more to say!
  • Love 13

I love that they wore coordinating outfits.  

The ratings for Luann's before they were housewives special must've been pretty good if Bravo decided to film & air another prime time special with her.  I guess I figured it hadn't gone well when I didn't see any other before they were housewives episodes.

My bet is still on some type of inheritance being the reason they got married.  It's too much of a coincidence that their wedding was on his 50th birthday.

• Love 5
On 8/28/2017 at 6:28 PM, motorcitymom65 said:

Tidbits from Lu's interview with Andy.

Apparently the final straw came that weekend before the reunion when she was at Jill's charity deal. He went out with some friends, and called up an old girlfriend to come along. She found out about it in the tabloids. 

Oh, and that slap that she had earlier referred to as more of a love pat. It wasn't. It was her grabbing his face "in the heat of the moment" when she wanted him to really listen to her. 

Sounds like this whole deal was over, with the exception of actually filing the papers, when they shot the reunion. 

So the conclusion is that Tom is the dirt bag that everyone thought he was.

Yes Tom is a big ole man whore.

The problem with Luann is that Tom never hid this side of himself from the JUMP.

He showed this side of himself to her when they met (wasn't he on a date?)

He showed this side of himself in the Lovely Regency Kiss photo.

He showed this side of himself having his hand on some woman's thigh on "the yacht"

Tom revealed his true self for the viewers to see, Luann spent a lot more time with him so I'm sure she saw more questionable behavior - and she still chose to marry him.

I still believe their divorce comes down to money. If Tom had true wealth - Luann would have stayed in the marriage. If Luann had true wealth - Tom wouldn't have filed for a divorce. They both got tired of trying to pass the bill across the table to each other - with no one having the funds to pay.

• Love 15
On 8/29/2017 at 1:14 PM, motorcitymom65 said:

How did they need her? I think she ended up making that gig good because everyone invited her to everything. If anyone had wanted to exclude her, they could have, but they did not. Heather interviewed once that Lu was frantic when told she would only be a "friend of" and that Heather promised she would try to include her in as much of her filming as she could so she could get a lot of camera time. She encouraged others to do the same. Her fate was kind of in the hands of the other gals. 

I also don't believe Luann made more money as a FOH - that's a crock o shit rumor that Luann started. If it were true every HW would be chomping at the bit to be DEMOTED to FOH status.

In terms of getting a WWHL one on one interview - Didn't Kim Richards get a "special" too? and I'm pretty sure she's been in the FOH status since.

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 7
On 8/31/2017 at 2:32 PM, HunterHunted said:

I would agree that the Bravo overlords were mad that she chose to announce after they wrapped filming of the reunion. She has a reputation of hiding things and lying about her life. That disclaimer was basically Bravo saying to the viewers that you know which liar to blame for the lack of a segment with the juicy details of this crumbling wreck of a relationship. I also suspect that her participation in season 10 was contingent on her interview with Andy.

They filmed the reunion mid July. It had been story after story of discord. Tom and LuAnn jointly file on August 3rd. I think Bravo must have realized that Lu had already had conversations with Tom and her lawyer about ending the marriage. It was 2 weeks from when she filmed the reunion crowing about how in love she was with Tom and when she filed. Her lawyers were probably drafting her petition for divorce as they filmed the reunion. 

His side is now alleging that her slap/grab caused bleeding.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tom-dagostino-dating-again-amid-luann-de-lesseps-divorce-w500370

I wasn't aware that he had stopped dating...

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

There is a clip of Luann's interview with Andy posted at Bravo.  I linked it a page back.  In it, she admits that the weekend before the reunion was taped, Tom went out with an old girlfriend while she was away.  She heard about it in the media the next day and decided she was dunzo.  So when they were sitting there taping the reunion, Luann knew her marriage was down the shitter.  But she sat there and acted like it was all dandy, cheating Andy out of the story.  

3 hours ago, jaync said:

Also, until this one-on-one with Andy, Lu has insisted that there's nothing wrong with a boyfriend/fiancé/husband spending time with ex-girlfriends or former sex partners. She claimed that she was fine with it, that it didn't bother her at all. 

• Love 9