Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The After Show, Part 2

• Start Topic

Can't believe I got sucked into this crapfest......the snark just writes itself though......

Jessa, reality pro that she is, sure knew how to head off the "Who's the LEAST handsy of the married Duggs?" question, since she knew they would all point at her.  LOL

Mullet and JB are surprise guests? ...worming their way in via the grandkids? ....when we all know they've been there out of camera range the entire time.

Spurgeon needs a haircut in the worst way, but then he will become a total mini-JB, so maybe not.

JD is such a rube...if this was an ad to find him a wife, he just lost some ground.

Kendra's dad looks younger than Joe. And way cuter.

• Love 5

I fell asleep, unsurprisingly, then woke up in the middle of the Putnam show preview. I thought I was having a nightmare. 

Hey Jim Bob, 19x5=95. 

Its as if Joy has come back to life. I wonder if she's been depressed over the past few years. She seems to have some spark again. 

• Love 8

I do not watch, what did Boob say to give the impression he is not expecting Jinger to have a child soon? I thought the questionnaire was 50 pages. Is Boob trying to engage in control damage? That worked really well with Josh.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Its as if Joy has come back to life. I wonder if she's been depressed over the past few years. She seems to have some spark again. 

I'm just going to say it's the sex lol.....

• Love 18

My thoughts on this: JinJer is my favorite couple and Jeremy is my favorite Duggar spouse. I was cracking up when he put "BAAAAAAAAAABE!!" as his answer for the pet names. Kendra seems sweet enough, but her and Joe are a real snoozefest for me.

• Love 8

Jessa seemed nervous during the Newlywed Games. She kept looking at her husband; almost as if she was afraid of what he might say.  In the meantime, the other couples appeared to be at ease and having fun.  I can understand why Joy fell for Austin; he seems easy going and has a good sense of humor.  If I didn’t know they were in a courtship, I’d think Joe and Kendra were meeting for the first time. 

Hey Jim Bob, ten sons and four additional sons, equals 14 sons.  Clearly, math is not one of his strong suits.  

• Love 10

SMama- Jim Bob and Mechelle were talking about how many grandkids they could have and Jim Bob said that maybe a joy and Austin would be the next ones to have a baby and then someone said or Jeremy and Jinger. And Jim Bob said something like oh yeah or Jeremy and Jinger.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

I fell asleep, unsurprisingly, then woke up in the middle of the Putnam show preview. I thought I was having a nightmare. 

Hey Jim Bob, 19x5=95. 

Austin must be great in the sack. Off to the prayer closet...

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, kcrabtree06 said:

My thoughts on this: JinJer is my favorite couple and Jeremy is my favorite Duggar spouse. I was cracking up when he put "BAAAAAAAAAABE!!" as his answer for the pet names. Kendra seems sweet enough, but her and Joe are a real snoozefest for me.

Yeah, watching this, despite his religious beliefs, I really like Jeremy. I bet he thinks the Duggars are crazy as hell.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Jessa seemed nervous during the Newlywed Games. She kept looking at her husband; almost as if she was afraid of what he might say.  In the meantime, the other couples appeared to be at ease and having fun. 

I noticed that too, but I assumed it's because Jessa is by far the most Type A sister and would rather die than lose, but also doesn't want to look competitive or jealous.

• Love 9

Newlywed Game- best part of honeymoon:

Jeremy: "The evenings." Wink  

Jinger:  "being alone."

Host - repeating: "being along...down under."

Me: "har har har." I'm twelve. 

• Love 17
31 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

For all Jessa's bitchiness, I don't think Jinger is the only Duggar with self esteem problems.

Yeah, but the way they each present their self-esteem issues is completely different.

I'm actually of the opinion that Joy has the fewest issues with self-esteem of the Duggar ladies.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, but the way they each present their self-esteem issues is completely different.

I'm actually of the opinion that Joy has the fewest issues with self-esteem of the Duggar ladies.

I liked how both Austin and Joy said they weren't afraid of anything.  Ahhh, youth.  But nice.  

And I really liked Jessa's answer to Ben's hidden talents. It was sweet.  Spanish guitar? Who knew?

• Love 12
(edited)

Like others have noted, the contrast between Ben and Jessa and the other couples was noticeable. Everybody else seemed to have fun and be at ease with their partner, and there they were... They looked like they were really trying at times to look ''happy/normal'', but overall they seemed tense and not like they were enjoying themselves. There's no more spark (whatever there was to start with) between them. They both looked so done.

Ben's comment about Jessa worrying about her weight... It looked like Jessa wasn't too pleased that he'd disclose that. I don't think it came from a bad place in Ben's case, but it was maybe a bit too personal for a public, rather light-hearted game. Although I have a feeling that it's a topic/concern that must be coming up rather often, given that he went for that answer.

Lastly... I thought it was interesting that Jessa didn't come up with an answer (well, she drew a question mark on her board) when it came to a question along the lines of ''I wish my spouse would stop _____''. It's actually quite possible Jessa had things in mind yet did not want to bring them up, but the way she explained her lack of answer smacked to me of indifference towards Ben. I found it a bit sad.

It's quite possible I am reading too much into this, but that is the vibe I'm getting from those two, overall.

Edited by PinkyCupcake
  • Love 16

Jessa and Ben just seem really annoyed with each other.  They're definitely in that stage where your spouse is just there...breathing....and you want to punch them in the face for it.  She seemed really concerned about what he would reveal (the weight answer seemed to really irk her), while he was trying to have a little fun with drawing and giving cute answers.  It could just be that they're not getting enough sleep/having two kids so young and back to back sucks.  I also thought it was interesting that Jessa had them practice what they would say beforehand and Ben just deviated from the system they'd worked out.

Jeremy and Jinger seem to be good for each other.  He can poke fun at her (Baaaaaaaaaaaabe) but also be supportive and honest.  I think she probably doubts herself at a lot more than just cooking, but he was sensitive to the fact that cooking was probably the safest example.  He can't very well be like "She's afraid to do ANYTHING without my approval or reassurance..."

Austin is funnier than I imagined him being.  Joy is certainly enjoying him.

I really liked how protective Josiah was of Joy and her banter back at him about how he was the only one who was worried.  They seemed like normal brother and sister, something that we rarely see with this group.  I even laughed when she corrected him about her eye color until I remembered that they were inseparable until a certain age.  It still bothers me that they had to stop being best friends. 

• Love 18

Of course Jana was the one who got up to wrangle Spurgeon when he took off after the ball. Old habits die hard, I guess. Lol I know, she was sitting closest and was in the best position to go fetch him ... But it just felt like, oh of course Jana will be the one to do it. Like always.

She looked a bit forlorn there at the end of the couch. Did they even bother to ask her about being in a courtship, or has that entire subject just been shelved?  I know the topic has been beaten to death and she's probably sick of answering the same old question. But it feels like it's just become a foregone conclusion that there is no man in Jana's life, so there is no point in even asking anymore.  

I'm not sure which is worse - constantly being quizzed about your romantic life, or having people not bothering to even wonder anymore. 

• Love 20

Ben probably sat in the naughty chair when they got home from taping. He didn't follow the predetermined answers that Jessa had decided on prior to the Newlywed Game. You'd think after a year long courtship and three years of marriage Ben & Jessa would have a familiar groove to their relationship. I'm guessing maybe their groove is Jessa barks orders and Ben obeys.

Joy, Austin and JD seemed to be relaxed enough to be themselves. It could almost be an enjoyable show if they'd all be real.

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Oh that was so painful. Obviously we're all masochists.

Fixed it because we  all like abuse and continue to watch this crapfest.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

I know they are married now, but how is all that PDA modest?  It tends to make most people uncomfortable.  I don't know of anyone in my regular life that exhibits as much PDA as Joy & Austin did.  

This show would be more interesting if these kids gave some honest answers/commentary.  When Jessa blathered on about how it's different having your own child, she skewed the facts.  She really was raising her siblings, not babysitting, not handing them off to their mother when they got fussy.  It would be great to hear how she really feels - raising siblings just being a chore or something like that.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Austin is funnier than I imagined him being.  Joy is certainly enjoying him.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised the guy has a great personality. Not like a robot which is portrayed on the show. 

I was also surprised they all agreed Derek and Jill showed the most PDA of them all. That's something else we don't see on the show. 

I thought it odd that Jimboob predicted Joy and Austin would be the next to have a baby. The look on Jinge and Jer's face was priceless. I don't think Jer is all that fond of Jimboob and vice versa. 

Jana is sooo pretty. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 17
(edited)

Giving Joy a pass because you could always catch glimpses of her muttering throughout the years...she has always had things to say, funny or not, but no one wanted or cared to hear them.

Austin is a boy in love/lust and will listen to anything...look at that smile on his face...he is in that sex fog/haze... hearing blah blah blah blah...and thinking of last night's sexy time and tonight's sexy time...

EnJOY the honeymoon phase ...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 13
20 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought it odd that Jimboob predicted Joy and Austin would be the next to have a baby. The look on Jinge and Jer's face was priceless. I don't think Jer is all that fond of Jimboob and vice versa. 

In all fairness, the Boob might be spot on. I'm just surprised it came from him.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I was also surprised they all agreed Derek and Jill showed the most PDA of them all. That's something else we don't see on the show.

I was not surprised to hear that myself (if it's true, anyway). Those two seem like obnoxious jackasses, so that kind of behavior is par for the course.

Edited by PinkyCupcake
  • Love 3

I think we all need to give a moment of thanks that Derek wasn't playing this game. He thinks he's so clever and hilarious under normal circumstances, can you imagine him unleashed in a situation like this?

• Love 18

I think these types of people have the over to top modesty rules when single, then what happens after marriage? Why do they believe that over the top displays of 'affection' are appropriate in front of others? (dry humping on a mini golf course, anyone?) If a person believes in living a modest lifestyle, that doesn't go away right after saying "I do"...it's a belief and lifestyle you carry with you all of your life, IMO. This family sticks to beliefs only for as long as it suits them; which is not honest. Once again, guys, I'm giving my opinion on this.

Displays that mimic sex aren't modest before AND after marriage. Joy knew exactly what she was doing. She's finally getting some attention here and she's lovin' it.

• Love 19
(edited)
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Don't Austin and Joy realize that that's not appropriate to sit like that around others?

Why would they? Based on the mini golf display by Boob, Joy probably saw lots of inappropriate behavior from her parents.  And what kind of Boob commentary went along with the posted menstrual chart?

ETA:  I wonder if Jessa feels stressed when Bin mentions working out in response to her weight issues?  Bin has always worked out.  I doubt if Jessa is really all in on that, especially since having two children.  It just seems to be even more pressure on her to keep her before babies figure when Bin thinks working out is the easy answer.

And did Kendra seem pretty orange to anyone else?  Maybe she borrowed some self-tanner from sister wife Meri Brown.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 12