Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Lantern

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, TVFan17 said:

I hope that Irene makes it out of this episode happy and healthy, with her friendships restored!

Unfortunately I think those other ladies are going to keep holding a grudge against her. Thanks for nothing Jimmy!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Jimmy came through for Irene even though he made himself look bad. I'm glad he did it but there goes his business there (and the Sandpiper money?).

Until they actually settle the case.  At that point, he will get his share.

• Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Jimmy came through for Irene even though he made himself look bad. I'm glad he did it but there goes his business there (and the Sandpiper money?).

Well, I think he is an ass for getting into that whole Irene mess in the first place.  And even though he came through, he still hurt her in the process  -- though he didn't want to.  

I don't care that he didn't get the money (yet) and that the business shut down, only because I know where he will be in a few years. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

Did Chuck push Jimmy away because he knew he was on the edge of a downward spiral and wanted to keep him out of it?

I know that's a pretty charitable reading, but I think maybe Chuck did for Jimmy when Jimmy did for Irene.

• Love 12

So surprised Jimmy came through for Irene and actually felt bad enough to let go of the Sandpiper case. I guess this will place him on the path to representing criminals and becoming full on Saul.

Wish I could say that I felt more about Chuck...but I didn't. I thought his breakdown sequence was way too long. I get it. He was relapsing.

I'm weirdly happy that Nacho made it through the finale and his plan worked! Him trying to shoot and kill Hector would have been a bad idea.

And LOL at Gus trying to keep Hector alive. You really have to want to exact revenge on someone bad to try and keep them around that bad. Especially if they're a scumbag like Hector.

And go Howard for getting Chuck the hell outta there. He did what he had to do in order to give Chuck the boot and not play in to these games. Plus, he didn't have to go down to Jimmy's level to do it. I thought Howard was a douche at first, but you really got to see more layers of him.

• Love 17

Did Gus give Hector the real CPR or the Nacho's switched pills version of CPR? :)  The show was getting really depressing until we finally got some good news with Hector having his heart attack/stroke.

It was heartbreaking to see Chuck tear his house apart looking for the stray current.  It reminded me of the final scene of "The Conversation" when Gene Hackman tore apart his apartment looking for the bug.  I hope he survives the fire, but I am not optimistic.

Kim has gone from workaholic to slacker.  Hopefully she can find a middle ground after she recovers.

Good for Jimmy for making things right with Irene.  I guess he hasn't completely given himself over to the dark side after all.  

5 minutes ago, ketose said:

No Cinnabon?

The Cinnabon scenes have always been in the season premieres, not the finales.

• Applause 1
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Did Chuck push Jimmy away because he knew he was on the edge of a downward spiral and wanted to keep him out of it?

I know that's a pretty charitable reading, but I think maybe Chuck did for Jimmy when Jimmy did for Irene.

That's a very good point and great question.   You might be right in that Chuck was purposely pushing him away for that reason.  I'm not convinced that Chuck is gone.  I think he might get out of the fire, but then get sent away somewhere.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I think Chuck hates Jimmy and was trying (and succeeding) to hurt him bad.

I was wondering why we had to watch all that nonsense with Chuck. I would MUCH rather watch Kim watch movies.

Bye Chuck. I hope Jimmy doesn't feel any guilt.

Wonder who Chuck left his money to.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Is Chuck committing suicide by burning down his house? 

Too bad he had to let Francesca go, but we know she will be back.

I didn't see it that way...until they put the suicide prevention hotline on the screen immediately after the scene.  Fire is a rather gruesome way to kill oneself.

• Love 12

That scene where Chuck tells Jimmy he "never really mattered all that much" to Chuck, was devastating. My siblings and I aren;t very close but it would shatter me if one of them said that. Burn Chuck.

What do we think is up for next season?

• Love 12

For Christ's sake, give Michael McKean an Emmy.

I didn't feel sorry for Chuck in the end because he brought this all on himself.  I also didn't believe him when he said that Jimmy never mattered much to him (it is noticeable that the last confrontation with Jimmy set him off again).  But that was something seeing him tear the house apart and that one shot of him in bed reminded me of The Twilight Zone.  Gilligan once said The Twilight Zone was his favorite show and I see Chuck's fate as a TZ sense of cosmic justice.  I was hoping his death would be accidental but death by lantern is fitting.

Howard mic dropping Chuck was awesome.  I'm glad he won at the end.  Good for him and I'm glad that the actor got a real storyline this season. 

The scene with Nacho's dad was heartbreaking.  Nacho got a great storyline too and it was hilarious seeing Gus trying to save Hector.  Margolis mannerisms are always great.

Jimmy's scene with Chuck were great but I found Jimmy and Kim's storyline to be the weakest of the night.  After taking a big step towards being Saul Goodman, the show took a big step backwards with that tonight.  It feels like Jimmy is only a step on the journey to be Saul.

Complaint aside, I really enjoyed this episode and thought that was a great season.

• Love 22

If I didn't already love Kim, her love for Atticus Finch would have pretty much sealed it.  One of my favorite character/performances of all film!

Did not predict that Howard would simply counter Chuck by paying for his buyout (or part of it) out of pocket, and make him walk a grand exit out of the building. Normally that would be harsh, but after everything Chuck has done and what he was currently pulling, good for Howard.  He can be slimy at times, but the man knows when to step up.  I do wonder though how they can keep his character relevant in future seasons, if Chuck truly is out of the picture.

Surprised Jimmy actually did right by Irene, and deliberately screwed over the settlement and make himself rightfully look like the bad guy.  And it explains why "Saul" doesn't go into elder law, because he likely burnt that bridge.  Fun seeing Erin back for a few minutes!

Glad Nacho's plan finally worked.  It was hard watching him watching Hector giving death glares to his poor father, and knowing that Hector would likely want him dead.  Interesting seeing Gus go and save Hector.  An act?  Or does he want him around to really make him pay.  And he totally knows Nacho was involved.  I wonder what Gus would do with that knowledge, because I had no idea what he was thinking.  I would never want to play poker against Giancarlo Esposito.

I liked that Kim acknowledge that she was reckless over driving despite the little sleep and she could have not just hurt herself even worse, but others had things gone differently.  Nice seeing someone take responsibility for their screw-ups.  Glad that she seems to be taking a breather now, but I hope she bounces back. Nice to see her and Jimmy at a better place again, but that relationship is obviously still doomed.

The stuff with Chuck went on a little long, but I guess the overall idea is necessary.  Assuming he actually dies, I can see his death being a big moment for Jimmy to finally go full-blown Saul.  Unless, of course, he somehow survives, but as great as Michael McKean is, I do think it's probably time for him to go.

Bummed they couldn't find a way to work Mike into at least one scene.

Overall, a slow start this season, but I thought it picked up again and had some great episodes and moments.  Everyone did great as usual, but special mentions to Bob Odenkirk who continues to wow me, Michael Mando, who really got some great moments to shine here, and Rhea Seehorn, who I really hope gets an Emmy nod one day.

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I didn't think of that, but I still believe Chuck was being honest (and cruel) to Jimmy. He'd just lost his game of chicken at the law firm, bested by Howard, and all because of Jimmy. I don't think he would feel charitable toward Jimmy at all.

6 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It was heartbreaking to see Chuck tear his house apart looking for the stray current.  It reminded me of the final scene of "The Conversation" when Gene Hackman tore apart his apartment looking for the bug. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately, I didn't think this sequence was done as well as it was in The Conversation. I don't mind long scenes or the show taking its time, but this was just lacking something. Maybe style, maybe emotion. I don't know.

I was a little confused at the end where we see all the destruction in Chuck's house. At first I thought he had thrown all his electrical stuff outside. Did I see that right? Then I thought he was sleeping outside, but I realized we were in the house. I kept wondering what was going on with his leg. Was he having a major tic manifestation because of his illness? No, he was trying to knock over the lantern. Wow. 

And going back to the opening scene with Jimmy and Chuck in their youth, there was a lantern there as well. But what was Chuck reading to Jimmy? I missed what their conversation was about. Something about whether a woman would survive? 

I'm glad Jimmy fixed things for Irene and her friends. I was surprised but pleased that he did this.

I'm also pleased that Nacho's dad did not get killed and that now he apparently can go back to his normal life, although he certainly will hold bad feelings toward Nacho.

• Love 5

The pacing/obsession with minutiae drove me nuts this season and I finally checked out a few episodes ago (although I did watch the Kim crash scene).

Spoil me, is Chuck actually dead? Or another fakeout like last season?

Fingers crossed.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't think of that, but I still believe Chuck was being honest (and cruel) to Jimmy. He'd just lost his game of chicken at the law firm, bested by Howard, and all because of Jimmy. I don't think he would feel charitable toward Jimmy at all.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately, I didn't think this sequence was done as well as it was in The Conversation. I don't mind long scenes or the show taking its time, but this was just lacking something. Maybe style, maybe emotion. I don't know.

I was a little confused at the end where we see all the destruction in Chuck's house. At first I thought he had thrown all his electrical stuff outside. Did I see that right? Then I thought he was sleeping outside, but I realized we were in the house. I kept wondering what was going on with his leg. Was he having a major tic manifestation because of his illness? No, he was trying to knock over the lantern. Wow. 

And going back to the opening scene with Jimmy and Chuck in their youth, there was a lantern there as well. But what was Chuck reading to Jimmy? I missed what their conversation was about. Something about whether a woman would survive? 

I'm glad Jimmy fixed things for Irene and her friends. I was surprised but pleased that he did this.

I'm also pleased that Nacho's dad did not get killed and that now he apparently can go back to his normal life, although he certainly will hold bad feelings toward Nacho.

I believe Chuck was reading to Jimmy from "The Adventures of Mabel", the book Jimmy found in episode 301 while they were taking the space blankets off the walls 

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, kieyra said:

The pacing/obsession with minutiae drove me nuts this season and I finally checked out a few episodes ago (although I did watch the Kim crash scene).

Spoil me, is Chuck actually dead? Or another fakeout like last season?

Fingers crossed.

I think that we are supposed to think that Chuck is dead.  I have my doubts, though.  He could get out of the burning house.

• Love 3

Wow, I expected Chuck to get electrocuted not that! His whole descent into complete madness in this episode was chilling.

Yay, Hector finally stroked out. Ironic that Gus did CPR on him.

Watch Monty Python, guys!

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I think that we are supposed to think that Chuck is dead.  I have my doubts, though.  He could get out of the burning house.

Based on "Talking Saul," I don't think the show runners are 100% sure.  They haven't started to plot the fourth season yet.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Based on "Talking Saul," I don't think the show runners are 100% sure.  They haven't started to plot the fourth season yet.

I saw that.  I'm watching it now.  In fact, when that was said I was wondering how long we'd have to wait for the 4th season.  It took a full year from when Season 2 ended for Season 3 to begin.  I dread having to wait 12 months again.

• Love 11
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

Wish I could say that I felt more about Chuck...but I didn't. I thought his breakdown sequence was way too long. I get it. He was relapsing.

It wasn't just about him relapsing, though. It was also a counterpoint to all those drawn-out scenes earlier in the season, when Chuck or Mike would triumph through clear-eyed deliberation and diligent labor while Jimmy fucked everything up by charging down the path of least resistance without thinking. Here we see the dark mirror of that: whereas Jimmy is able to plow through adversity by doing one rash thing after another without stopping to consider the consequences, Chuck is always sure he knows exactly where he's headed and exactly what he needs to do to get there, and that certainty is ultimately what dooms him. On a certain level, Chuck knows he's in a downward spiral, so he goes step by step through everything he needs to do to spiral downward, until finally he's kicking at his lantern over and over and over until it (most likely) kills him.

43 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Did Gus give Hector the real CPR or the Nacho's switched pills version of CPR? :)

We know from Breaking Bad that Gus doesn't want Hector to die until he knows and acknowledges that Gus has beaten him. I'd bet that Gus was trying in earnest to revive him -- and probably none too happy that Nacho probably had something to do with his collapse.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 14
26 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I can't believe I ever felt one scintilla of sadness for Hector,

Hide contents

on Breaking Bad, when Gus was mercilessly taunting him in his wheelchair,

because he is just miserable in every way.  He is not charming.  He is not witty.  He is not a "fun" villain.  He doesn't know how to smile and fake being pleasant.   He doesn't think things through in the same way Gus does.  He acts and reacts more out of his ego being bruised than anything else.   He enjoys being a bully.  He is awful.

And Mark Margolis is awesome.

• Love 16

For Chuck to be alive will be a miracle. During the finale when he's trying to knock over the lantern, Closed Captioning says, "Gas hissing." I could hear it, but may not have been aware without CC. I was surprised there wasn't a big explosion, but maybe that will be part of next season, after our classic B&W Cinnabon opening. Even without the fire or an explosion, he was already succumbing to the gas leak.

31 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

Wonder who Chuck left his money to.

Probably his ex-wife. I think he was still in love with her. I'd be surprised if he left anything to Jimmy, but he could surprise us. Lawyers usually keep their wills up to date, but given Chuck's issues, his might be very old.

Are Gus and Mando going to work together? I think they'd be a good fit. I also missed Mike in the finale.

Excellent episode. I'm looking forward to next season.

• Love 8

With Chuck's likely demise, I'm sorry he never interacted with someone like Gus or Hector.  That would have been fun.  The BB and Saul producers do an excellent job of keeping characters separated.  Chuck interacting with those characters would feel like two different worlds colliding.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I wish Mike had been in the finale

I hope this was the last flashback

I'm starting to find Jimmy the least interesting character

Loved the look that Gus gave Nacho after Hector was taken away

Blockbuster!

Gus was probably thinking, "Okay... I thwarted Mike's attempt to kill Hector and gained Mike as an employee in the process.  Hector is mine to kill.  But now Hector's own people are trying to take him out too?  Why can't they let me have my fun?"  

• Love 12

Gus was probably thinking, "Okay... I thwarted Mike's attempt to kill Hector and gained Mike as an employee in the process.  Hector is mine to kill.  But now Hector's own people are trying to take him out too?  Why can't they let me have my fun?"  

Ha! Seriously! And that's a shame, but it shows what an unlikeable bastard Hector is.

• Love 7

Top marks to the actor playing Nacho's father...he is perfect. And Mando is awesome as the son who has brought his family to ruin. Whatever happens to Hector, Nacho and his father will never be able to repair this damage...and Nacho reminding his father that their relatives in Mexico are also at risk was seriously chilling. I hate Hector so much, that i root for Gus, who is not a nice guy either.

Poor Francesca, she is so much team Kim that she had scheduled a way for Kim to go forward, injuries and all. And Kim barely noticed, so eager was she to go full slacker. The actress playing Francesca is wonderful.

• Love 19

I'd feel bad for Chuck, if his last words with Jimmy hadn't been so cruel. 

But I guess it's realistic for the character.  The way Chuck sees it, Jimmy took everything from him, destroyed his life. 

It sounds cruel, but I hope Chuck is dead -- just to see how far down into hell the writers will take Jimmy, and how Jimmy will manage to crawl back up.  He'll blame himself. 

• Love 6

My only issue tonight if that while they've set up a lot of things for Jimmy to become Saul, it still feels like they are ultimately dragging their feet with it.  I keep wondering if they'll still be pulling back by the end of last season.  It's clear by his first appearance in Breaking Bad that he's been Saul for quite a while.  I want to see that on the show and not have to wait until the last episode for him to become Full Saul.

• Love 8