Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 6/5/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: "The Political View" with Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA); "View Your Deal" with Gretta Monahan

Tuesday: ABC News contributor and former Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown (author, "Called to Rise: A Life in Faithful Service to the Community That Made Me"); HBO's Sheila Nevins (author, "You Don't Look Your Age")

Wednesday: Kevin Hart (author, "I Can't Make This Up: Life Lessons")

Thursday: The Political View with Former Mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg (author, "Climate of Hope: How Cities, Businesses, and Citizens Can Save the Planet"); Melissa Leo ("I'm Dying Up Here")

Friday: Niecy Nash ("Claws")

• Love 2

Oh....great. View Your Deal which only means they're going to be selling more shit. 

What is this? QVC?!! What's the problem, ABC? Not enough commercials? That's surprising because it feels like EVERY FIVE BLOODY MINUTES you're taking yet another break!

I hope Pelosi has her Trump wrath stoked up. I love Kevin Hart and Bloomberg should be interesting. Niecy Nash? Not so much.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

Oh....great. View Your Deal which only means they're going to be selling more shit. 

What is this? QVC?!! What's the problem, ABC? Not enough commercials? That's surprising because it feels like EVERY FIVE BLOODY MINUTES you're taking yet another break!

I hope Pelosi has her Trump wrath stoked up. I love Kevin Hart and Bloomberg should be interesting. Niecy Nash? Not so much.

I'm not a Niecy fan, so ....

The show seemed really disjointed today ... short segments ... all Whoopi!!!

• Love 3
(edited)

Joy actually managed to not be rude during the Nancy Pelosi interview!

Whoopie's t-shirt said something like "Has anyone tried turning off the US and then turning it back on?"

I don't know why, but, every time Jedi mentions having been to another host's house, I think she's doing it to show she's not hated by everyone.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 7

I haven't watched the show in roughly a year, but caught a few minutes today. I try to steer clear of people's natural appearance, so I think this is fair game. What in the HELL has Sunny done to her nose?  It's horrific and verging on Michael Jackson-esque.  Why would a beautiful woman in her late 40s mess with her face like this?

• Love 1

I'm always surprised when Sunny brings up her age, because she looks so much younger than she is. No way would I have thought she would be going through menopause.

I'm surprised the only time they talked about the terrorist incidents in the UK was during the Pelosi interview. I would've thought that'd be their first topic, not Bill Maher.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Joy actually managed to not be rude during the Nancy Pelosi interview!

Whoopie's t-shirt said something like "Has anyone tried turning off the US and then turning it back on?"

I don't know why, but, every time Jedi mentions having been to another host's house, I think she's doing it to show she's not hated by everyone.

Do you mean Jed? I saw Whoopi covering her mouth and holding back when Nancy was saying the need for facts!  Joy did cross her fingers in a backward way which is giving the finger about impeachment. Go Joy!! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

I came to ask what was on Whoopi's shirt.  Thought maybe they said at the beginning as I lost the first 5 minutes to a breaking Dallas news...

It was something about turning the U.S. off & on again (to reset).

I like Niecy as an actress, and I liked her on that home improvement show she did. But what I do not like is her persona as the sassy woman who says blow jobs solve marital problems and who mentored Sherri into marrying Sal. I wonder what she'll have to say on Friday.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I haven't watched the show in roughly a year, but caught a few minutes today. I try to steer clear of people's natural appearance, so I think this is fair game. What in the HELL has Sunny done to her nose?  It's horrific and verging on Michael Jackson-esque.  Why would a beautiful woman in her late 40s mess with her face like this?

I googled and looked at images for Sunny.  She had a good nose and your are right, she went too far.  But that was not done recently, right?  She has had that nose for her entire stint on the View. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I hadn't seen Sunny before this year, so wasn't aware of the nose thing.  I actually think she looks good now, but sincerely hope this is as small as it gets.

I wonder why women in their 40's get their lips done (I'm talking to you, Leah Remini and whatever Kardashians) - please, stop.

Edited by useryikes
addition
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I like Niecy as an actress, and I liked her on that home improvement show she did. But what I do not like is her persona as the sassy woman who says blow jobs solve marital problems and who mentored Sherri into marrying Sal. I wonder what she'll have to say on Friday.

The first time I saw Niecy was in Reno 911. She was funny, but I thought she was able to only play caricatures, similar to Sherri. I didn't think she had range. But then I saw her in Getting On, on HBO. She is a really good actress. But her persona turns me off.

Joy continues to roll her eyes when Sonny speaks and Whoopi is just rude when anyone speaks. She only likes her own opinions.  If they keep acting like the other ladies bore them to death then they will all bore me.

• Love 5
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Joy continues to roll her eyes when Sonny speaks.

When has this happened?  I haven't noticed this with Sunny.  I've noticed it with Jed but not Sunny.  Now Whoopi seems to find fault with Sunny on a daily basis. 

Edited by A.J.
  • Love 14
(edited)
52 minutes ago, A.J. said:

When has this happened?  I haven't noticed this with Sunny.  I've noticed it with Jed but not Sunny.  Now Whoopi seems to find fault with Sunny on a daily basis. 

It bothers Whoopie that Sunny is an intelligent, Beautiful Black woman who can think for herself and is a success in her own right. It pisses Whoopie off that all Black people don't see the N word as she does.  Even after Sunny told that horrific story about her father being called the N word by the KKK and being threatened with death by them. She still maintained her nasty attitude  with Sunny about her distaste about the N word. I would love to see Whoopie take on Oprah about the word. Oprah has gone on record with her disgust for the word and bemoans the fact that some Black people have made light of this word.   She took on some Rappers like Jay-Z, about the use of the word.  Plus, Oprah spent time in the south, as a kid, so, she knows all too well about that ugly word.  Oprah is from Mississippi, the state, that lynched the most Black men in the Union. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

It bothers Whoopie that Sunny is an intelligent, Beautiful Black woman who can think for herself and is a success in her own right. It pisses Whoopie off that all Black people don't see the N word as she does.  Even after Sunny told that horrific story about her father being called the N word by the KKK and being threatened with death by them. She still maintained her nasty attitude  with Sunny about her distaste about the N word. I would love to see Whoopie take on Oprah about the word. Oprah has gone on record with her disgust for the word and bemoans the fact that some Black people have made light of this word.   She took on some rappers about the use of the word.  Plus, Oprah spent time in the south, as a kid, so, she knows all too well about that ugly word.  Oprah is from Mississippi, the state, that lynched the most Black men in the Union. 

Absolute truth!!

As for Joy rolling her eyes, her and Whoopi both do it quite often. You can tell it's probably a lifelong habit of Joys, and she probably doesn't even realize when she's doing it. Whoopi is just a straight up know it all bitch. She takes more exception to people using the word stupid than she does the n word. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Nancy Pelosi was quite the disappointment, for me. I found her very "subdued" -  her voice sounded like she had a cold? Was fighting a cold? Whatever, she wasn't the most interesting guest. I was expecting a more passionate diatribe against Trump.

Edited by dinkysquid
  • Love 6

This goes back to 1976....way before kid harnesses came out.  My first airplane trip was going to FL to visit my dad.  He hadn't seen Jason yet (he was 3-1/2ish and would disappear in a heartbeat) so I took him with me.  We had to change planes in Atlanta and I didn't want to lose him.  Took my dog's leash and clipped it to his belt loop.  The looks I got!  Didn't care.  I wasn't about to lose my boy.....

*shallow note*  Does Sunny ever watch herself on TV?  She has a constant pursed lip/bitch face/sucking on a lemon expression when listening.  Especially when listening to Jed.

• Love 7

Yesterday and today, Whoopi in the fluff segments was noticeably rude to the other co-hosts, presumably because she thought the topics were stupid. Whoops, no, can't say "stupid".  Lame, then.  If she finds it so intolerable to discuss these light topics, why does she approve them in the first place?  I thought they all discussed which topics they would cover?

I wish they had pointed out that the travel ban is supposed to be temporary, intended to provide 90 days to implement extreme vetting.  So even if Trump supporters believe that the US needs to improve vetting, the administration has now had more than 90 days, so why didn't they work on that?  And they neglected to mention today that Trump tweeted the US is already doing extreme vetting, thus negating the rationale for the travel ban.  Instead we get to hear Jedi-puke face argue that it is not a religious ban, once again. 

• Love 14

Several people over at Rosie's blog wrote about Sheila Nevin's kind words about Rosie. Here's one:

It was so nice to hear Sheila Nevins speak so graciously about you (to Whoopie no less) about you having the empathy to read the chapter for her audio-book. Will you be doing another HBO project with her?

(RO responds) i will do anything she asks 

forever

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

This goes back to 1976....way before kid harnesses came out.

Leashes and proper harnesses have been around forever.  My sisters and I were born in 1940, 1942, and 1944.  When my father worked, he was a traveling salesman...taking the car.  My mother had to take all of us (always) either walking everywhere or taking the rare streetcar/bus (not many options in Phoenix in those days).  My youngest sister was (and IS) a terror!  Any memories I have of going anywhere are of her trying to run,  pulling on her harness and leash.  She didn't have the harness at church until...until she pulled all the cherries off her little bonnet, threw them under the pew, and then crawled after them.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Sunny is always cut off before she ever makes a point and thats such a shame (and annoying for the Viewers).

Maybe if Whoopie cut down on the obnoxious "Welcome to the View"s Sunny would have enough time.

• Love 17
18 minutes ago, LoveIsJoy said:

Just finished yesterday's show and am so annoyed by Whoopi's know-it-all attitude about "rappers and young people taking back the N-word, and making it toothless."  That's so illogical on its face.  How do I know?  Simple...if rappers have taken away the word's power, then everybody would be comfortable both hearing and saying it -- no matter the race.  There would be no "only certain people can say it" caveat.  No one would have batted an eyelash upon hearing Paula Deen and her sons slinging the word around in their kitchen.  Good luck getting a roomful of black rappers and young black people to be "okay with" being casually called the N-word by random white people.  They haven't "taken the word back;" they're just used to saying it and want to continue saying it amongst themselves without any grief.  Wonder if Whoopi would be okay with #45 referring to black citizens as N-words.  Knowing her, she would probably defend it.

As a black woman, I agreed with Sunny that there are a gazillion words in the dictionary.  Pick another one.  Hell, create a new, cool one that you can use instead.  Whoopi, just please stop trying to normalize a word associated with such a brutal past.  I remember Oprah once saying that the word offended her so, because it was very likely the last word many of our ancestors heard ringing in their ears while being lynched and terrorized.  I physically shivered when she said that.  Yes that is powerful.  As it should be.

I wonder if Whoopi thinks young Jewish kids should take back the swastika. Make jewelry out of it and give to loved ones to take the power out of the symbol.  I don't mean to be glib about another painful history, but just to illustrate how ridiculous I find her so-called logic.

And one last Whoopi-ism that annoys me every time she says it.  "If you don't believe in abortions, then don't have one."  My mind immediately turns that argument into, if you Northern states don't believe in slaves, then don't have any.  We in the South want to keep ours, thank.you.very.much.  I am pro-choice, but I can understand that there are people who truly find abortion to be a moral wrong and don't want to see it federally sanctioned.  We can always debate the details, but people can fight for something even if it doesn't personally impact them.

/end rant

^^^ x 100 @LoveIsJoy ^^^

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Maybe if Whoopie cut down on the obnoxious "Welcome to the View"s Sunny would have enough time.

I am pretty sure I saw an unintentional eyeroll from Joy today re the WTTV!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

Just finished yesterday's show and am so annoyed by Whoopi's know-it-all attitude about "rappers and young people taking back the N-word, and making it toothless."  That's so illogical on its face.  How do I know?  Simple...if rappers have taken away the word's power, then everybody would be comfortable both hearing and saying it -- no matter the race.  There would be no "only certain people can say it" caveat.  No one would have batted an eyelash upon hearing Paula Deen and her sons slinging the word around in their kitchen.  Good luck getting a roomful of black rappers and young black people to be "okay with" being casually called the N-word by random white people.  They haven't "taken the word back;" they're just used to saying it and want to continue saying it amongst themselves without any grief.  Wonder if Whoopi would be okay with #45 referring to black citizens as N-words.  Knowing her, she would probably defend it.

As a black woman, I agreed with Sunny that there are a gazillion words in the dictionary.  Pick another one.  Hell, create a new, cool one that you can use instead.  Whoopi, just please stop trying to normalize a word associated with such a brutal past.  I remember Oprah once saying that the word offended her so, because it was very likely the last word many of our ancestors heard ringing in their ears while being lynched and terrorized.  I physically shivered when she said that.  Yes that is powerful.  As it should be.

I wonder if Whoopi thinks young Jewish kids should take back the swastika. Make jewelry out of it and give to loved ones to take the power out of the symbol.  I don't mean to be glib about another painful history, but just to illustrate how ridiculous I find her so-called logic.

And one last Whoopi-ism that annoys me every time she says it.  "If you don't believe in abortions, then don't have one."  My mind immediately turns that argument into, if you Northern states don't believe in slaves, then don't have any.  We in the South want to keep ours, thank.you.very.much.  I am pro-choice, but I can understand that there are people who truly find abortion to be a moral wrong and don't want to see it federally sanctioned.  We can always debate the details, but people can fight for something even if it doesn't personally impact them.

/end rant

Excellent post. Thank you!

• Love 3

Nancy Pelosi always sounds to me like she is sucking on a hard candy.  Even if she is saying something totally innocuous the way she says it, like with a mouthful of spit she needs to swallow, is annoying to me.  Petty, yes!!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dinkysquid said:

Maybe she's fed up - she is leaving at the end of this season, yes? Or has that too changed?

Was there ever an official press release from production about this?  I don't remember one.  I know prestigious entertainment news outlets such as Entertainment Tonight and The Insider have speculated that this might be Whoopi's last year, and that Whoopi herself probably leaked that story to bolster her contract negotiations.  Until I hear from production I'm assuming Whoopi's coming back for another year of big bucks for virtually no work at all.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Who knows what her intentions are?

Well, we do know because she has said it-that this is her last season, let others have a chance...she's been there over 10 years, etc. She actually said all of these things on Wendy Williams' show this season. That tells me what her intentions are. Now, she may change her mind, but right now? I know she plans to leave.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

/end rant

right.   I've said this before. People who believe all abortions should be illegal believe that abortion is murder.  So telling them to "not have one" is the equivalent of saying that  you should look the other way when someone is being murdered, if it doesn't involve you.  

(I'm not saying this is my view, just that if you want to make a point about abortion rights, there are better ways to do it)  

• Love 5

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Whoopi stayed. While I would like to be rid of her just so Sunny can have some peace, at the same time I can't help worrying what fresh hell they'd add to the panel if she left. Better the devil you know, as they say.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, backformore said:

right.   I've said this before. People who believe all abortions should be illegal believe that abortion is murder.  So telling them to "not have one" is the equivalent of saying that  you should look the other way when someone is being murdered, if it doesn't involve you.  

(I'm not saying this is my view, just that if you want to make a point about abortion rights, there are better ways to do it)  

Any other route leads to the  'when does the soul enter the body' discussion and it just another stand off involving religion.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Whoopi stayed. While I would like to be rid of her just so Sunny can have some peace, at the same time I can't help worrying what fresh hell they'd add to the panel if she left. Better the devil you know, as they say.

Agree!  This is my favorite panel so far.  I could not watch when Candace, Hasselbeck, etc. were on.  I even don't mind Jed (I know!).  Who could they add?  They could go with four & keep the talking over to a minimum.

• Love 2