Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Gayest Ball Ever

• Start Topic

The queens compete in a queer culture pageant, and design outfits inspired by the Village People. Actress Andie MacDowell (Groundhog Day) and supermodel Joan Smalls guest judge.

(edited)

I don't think Alexis is a sucky person, but holy crap does she need to get over herself.  If she wanted to pass off her Village People look as high fashion, maybe she should have made a bodice that didn't have her upper torso drooping over the top of it like an over-filled brioche tin.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 11

It was Alexis' time to go home.  Her attitude just stunk up the joint.  Peppermint just sold the hell out her lipsync!  Looks like it will come doen to Shea Coulee and Trinity Taylor for the crown. Sasha Velour is an awesome queen, but she just doesn't have that spark.

• Love 3

Well, nothing surprising about this week outcome, even without the spoilers. Now on the runway IMO:

Rainbow looks: Sasha>Shea>>>Trinity>>>Peppermint>>>>Alexis

Unicorn looks: Sasha>>>>>>>>>Shea>Trinity>Alexis>>>>Peppermint

YMCA looks: Shea>>>Trinity>>>>Alexis>Peppermint>Sasha (she somehow made it chick but it was underwhelming and probably cost her the winning)

Lip Sync: Damm, who is choosen the lip sync songs? Its a gay anthem, but it only allows space for comedy and we dont have comedy queen. Propos for Alexis to serve it at the beginning (that was the only point I thought she could have it) and for Peppermint to keep it up when Alexis went low energy. Still, both had to rely on do their basic dance routines.

Just now, Stardancer Supreme said:

It was Alexis' time to go home.  Her attitude just stunk up the joint.  Peppermint just sold the hell out her lipsync!  Looks like it will come doen to Shea Coulee and Trinity Taylor for the crown. Sasha Velour is an awesome queen, but she just doesn't have that spark.

She does for me.  I absolutely adore Sasha, and I can't take my eyes off her when she's on screen.  She fully commits, she's smart, she has a high fashion edge, and I love her face.

• Love 19

Thank god Alexis is gone. I couldn’t take one more moment of her delusional ass, always blaming the other queens for her deficiencies. Enough. Girl, bye.

“I’ve got my hair in a turban, ‘cause you do not want those edges to sweat out.” Hehehe, I adore you, Shea. And yes, you must protect the edges at all costs.

Peppermint isn’t the most sophisticated queen, and her looks can be questionable at times, but IDC, IDC. She slayed that lip sync. I shocked myself by clapping out loud in the solitude of my living room because I enjoyed watching her so much. As much as I love this show, there aren’t many queens I would bother to go see live, but she is one of them, because I know she would perform her ass off.

• Love 13
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I miss the spark from her sometimes aswell but shes comming out of her shell and this week, her presence on stage was the most fun/spark I got from her. Also she was the funniest on the puppet challenge. Unfortunatelly she had to finish with that cowboy look, that was when she lost me a bit (and I guess the judges aswell). 

I dont think Alexis deserve as much hate as she get, but yeah ,sometimes... Waiting to see untucked if shes gonna get real to herself (as she did after her elimination) or if she will bring up again the ´´why you guys didnt tell me I had a basic look???`` card again =_=

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 1

PEPPERMINT. Sorry Coco, she has snatched your lip sync assassin crown. As much as I would prefer her to be safe next week, and see Sasha and one of the other two prove they can kill a LSYFL, I really want to see more of her, preferably in a slow song. In a season full of really weak and disappointing lip syncs, she's shown twice now that she is something special, and I have a sinking suspicion she could take us to church even better than Latrice.

And although I am so grateful to the Drag Race gods that we got to see that, I'm giving the placement a real hard side-eye. Honestly, I'm not sure who I would have had win this week, but I don't agree with Shea. Peppermint gets on the brink of elimination for a slightly baggy crotchal area, and Shea wins because her rainbow outfit....that had nothing to do with the rainbow....was so fierce? I would've put her in the bottom, safe, for the sake of being dramatical. But it's a tough call. Yeah, Alexis's rainbow outfit alone was so fucking basic she deserved bottom two (I kinda liked her Native American look....she was kinda fucked either way, had she gone draggier she would've gotten murdered on social media for appropriation, and queens this year are more focused on that than ever), but the rest were all just good. Nothing took my breath away. I guess that speaks for the season as a whole.

It was a big missed opportunity for none of the queens to name Sasha as the one who should go home. Alexis was the gimme, of course. But it struck me during the over the top crickets to Alexis's puppet show that....Alexis actually did basically the best she could with the material. Sasha's basically an avant garde Courtney Act. She's polished, and undeniably smart as hell, but she's a bore, and she hasn't distinguished herself. Going off of record alone, too, which this show usually pays a lot of attention to....she should be up for consideration. She's won twice, technically, but never as a solo act. I'm frustrated by her edit, too, because it kinda seems like they're neither priming her for an eventual fall or triumph. I think she'll get a super underwhelming third place, and like I said, I'm really rooting for Peppermint to get there instead.

• Love 2
(edited)

My take on it is this: Sasha really rocked the runway tonight, and so did Shea, in two different ways. I loved Sasha's looks more than Shea's, even if I think I like Shea better in terms of "who would I rather have a beer with" (I like Sasha that way, too!!). I really like them both, but in my opinion, Sasha did better tonight. But Ru picked Shea. My interpretation of this is that Ru just doesn't feel Sasha the way he feels Shea. (Or maybe it was the cowboy look, which I kind of hated....)

I feel really lucky to live in New York City. I can go see Sasha and Peppermint live sometime! Pepp in particular -- wow, I bet she's really something live.

As much as I don't like Alexis's attitude, I felt kind of sorry for her tonight. She just doesn't get it. She never thought of herself as a villain at all, I bet -- at worst, all she is is really irritating. But I think she's got a good heart and really wants to make friends and doesn't understand why people don't like her. I get it. She's a theater nerd with poor social skills, I think. Describes a lot of us, to some degree. Also, she really did look so pretty in her basic Native American and unicorn outfits. Her eye makeup in particular looked great. I hope that people will be kind to her after the show, and I hope that she kind of wakes up and realizes how cringey some of her behavior was so she can get that wakeup call that a lot of us need from time to time.

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

I don't think Alexis is a sucky person, but holy crap does she need to get over herself.  If she wanted to pass off her Village People look as high fashion, maybe she should have made a bodice that didn't have her upper torso drooping over the top of it like an over-filled brioche tin.

Ugh. Since when is it the job of the rest of them to tell her ass she looks basic? I wasn't aware that she promised each of them $10,000 when she won. Oh she didn't promise that? Then she needs to shut the fuck up. Alexis has the style and cool of a slightly stylish 44 year old suburban Boy Scout troop mom. She's Lynette Scavo. Next.

I feel like Sasha actually won, but her intellectual approach to drag can come off as remote and a little aloof. Either way Shea and Sasha are a great top two.

Trinity is a body queen, but she has the seasoned instincts of a child star. She puts on that smile and tries to let her personality shine through no matter what she's wearing. Her Pride outfit was so typically her, meaning naked. Her unicorn was pretty ugly. Her cop outfit was fantastic.

I love Peppermint, but they should have clocked her for her makeup. I looked at her and wanted to ask how her visit with Farrah Moan and Cynthia Lee Fontaine went. Regardless, her performance skills are phenomenal. The thing that I really appreciate is that she can put together a great performance without all of the splits, death drops, and tumbles. 

• Love 7

I love the puppet challenge! That was fun, and I miss the mini challenges. I think Native American is too charged to do anything good with, unless the queen dresses up like Stacey Layne Matthews or Trixie. Still, it was Alexis' time to go. I hope she does well post show.

• Love 1

Carson got the comment of the week for enjoying Sasha's unicorn costume having a "period look".

Did you hear? Alexis nearly went BLIND gluing that turquoise she got from RHNY Luann's Hamptons garage sale she had a few years back.

"You like me. You really like me!" Ouch for Alexis on that. Girl, don't check social media for the next few days.

I guess the only other takeaway from the episode was learning Andie MacDowell likes to troll parks in Paris at night looking for a good time. The more you know....

• Love 3

I like that a woman was lip syncing to the tongue in cheek Macho Man song, sung by men. On a show about drag. Which is much broader than it used to be. I'm glad Peppermint is top four, but I think she'll go next week. 

• Love 1

I am still flying high from Peppermint's lip sync, especially her George Jefferson funky walk. I probably would've fallen off the chair if she had done his other funky dance move from the Jeffersons' opening credits when he dances with Roxie Roker. You move on up, guuuurl.

• Love 11

Was I the only person going "Andie MacDowell??? From the Hallmark Channel??? WTF?????"  She looked like the Christian mother they send to summer camp to make gay people straight again.  Nah RuPaul.  No thanks.

Also, Alexis.  Girl, mirror time.  You thought Nina was an unholy pain in da butt because she needed all this hand holding, you are even worse IMHO.  Nina didn't want hand holding, she was just a misery guts.  You on the other hand are angry because people weren't acting as your life coach, being the wind beneath your wings.  PLURREAZZZE.  As a great woman once said, this is not RuPaul's Best Friend Race.

• Love 3

Alexis: "Frankly, if my competitors would have treated me like they weren't actually competing with me and instead given me advice on how to beat them, I honestly wouldn't have frankly been on the bottom tonight or ever. I say that with all due honesty, sincerity, respect, and franknessness."

I hope Sasha wins, but there isn't anyone on this season I would pay one cent to see live. Coco Peru, on the other hand . . .

• Love 3
(edited)

Alexis annoyed me numerous times this season. But she seems like a genuine person and I thought she did fairly well tonight. IMO they shouldn't have had the Native American Village Person as an option. That is such a charged issue and it's been misused by so many dumb celebs and stupid college students. I don't think Alexis could have dragged it up without facing a ton of backlash. But yeah as a whole her 3 looks were standard. At least she looked beautiful getting eliminated.

I thought Trinity should have been on the bottom. Her first 2 looks were bad.

A few episodes ago I thought it was going to come down to Shea & Trinity but Sasha has kind of crept up and I now think it is going to be Shea and Sasha.

I love Peppermint. I used to watch Youtube videos of her duets with Sherry Vine (7 years ago!). So it's kind of surreal to see her now and how far she has come.

Edited by Couver
  • Love 1

It's about time Alexis was finally eliminated. As the other girls have pointed out, her looks tend to be very basic. And then this week when she tried to do something a little more detail oriented, that translated to a bodice covered in turquoise and a skirt that looked like a table runner wrapped around her waist. I don't know if she just isn't good at making costumes or if her taste level sucks or what. The construction of that skirt (or the lack thereof) is a perfect example. It looked like she did nothing to make it fit her as a skirt. It looked like she just took a rectangular piece of fabric, pinned it on herself askew, and called it a day.

But worse than her basic looks is her attitude. She had the nerve to call the other girls shady because they didn't tell her in the workroom that her outfit sucked? As we all know, it's not RuPaul's Best Friend Race so none of the competitors have ANY obligation to help you win. Your look is yours. It's not a collaborative art project or a middle school group presentation. If your look sucked, that's YOUR fault, not anyone else's and it's certainly not the fault of the other girls for not stepping in to improve your look.

The best thing Alexis did in this episode was choosing not to wear the headdress I saw at her work station, which tells me that at the very least, she's not stupid. I was actually surprised that they had the Native American character as an option. There were five contestants and the Village People had six people in the group, so they could have just made the military guy the fifth character.

Peppermint definitely deserved to win the LSFYL because she was fun, entertaining, and energetic without seeming desperate. After the last few weeks, it was nice to see a LSFYL where both contestants were both making an effort instead of one person just giving up.

• Love 3

I'm still cursing that cheerleader challenge they had at the start. If they'd not injured Charlie and Eureka, to begin with, the season might have played out in a less predictable and kind of dull fashion. I plucked my eyebrows while watching that ep. For real!

Sasha holds my interest, in and out of drag. Trinity is fun. But that's it.

11 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

PEPPERMINT. Sorry Coco, she has snatched your lip sync assassin crown. As much as I would prefer her to be safe next week, and see Sasha and one of the other two prove they can kill a LSYFL, I really want to see more of her, preferably in a slow song.

Unless they're doing things differently this season, next week won't have a bottom 2 lip syncing for their lives. They'll probably all be lip syncing to a Ru Paul song.

42 minutes ago, violet and green said:

I'm still cursing that cheerleader challenge they had at the start. If they'd not injured Charlie and Eureka, to begin with, the season might have played out in a less predictable and kind of dull fashion. I plucked my eyebrows while watching that ep. For real!

As much as I hated that stupid cheerleading challenge, I think Charlie would have been the third to go regardless. She would have wound up in the bottom two after botching her morning show skit, and there's no way she would have beaten Trinity in that lip sync even if she was healthy as a horse.

I also have no regrets about missing the Eureka vs. Trinity storyline the editors would have forced on us.

• Love 6

On a closeup I noticed the sprinkling of adorable Jessie the Cowgirl Doll freckles on Sasha's Village People look. That killed me. Damn, is she is smart and stylish as hell, and she thinks things through. I don't know how else to put it. The tiny house with the rainbow flag, the medieval tapestry and bloody unicorn tip...she considers every aspect and detail of her looks. Love her. 

The freckles were rather realistic, and may not have read from the judges' seats, which I think went toward the general feeling that the look was amped-up clever streetwear rather than insane Big Gay Ball.

• Love 3

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll miss Alexis.  I know her looks weren't the most imaginative but I prefer hers to some of the weird-ass shit up there.  I don't understand that drab cowgirl look at all.  Or the black leather dominatrix, like that hasn't been done to death?  Oh well.

Not to pile on, but Alexis didn't know the words, right? Or is she just kinda sloppy with it?

Also, what do you think Sasha said at the end of her rainbow runway? Did she sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow?" She was obviously doing something that referenced Dorothy that the show didn't want to buy the rights for.

Shea is amazing. I like Sasha, but I agree with the critique that it wasn't ball drag. Shea may not have done rainbow, but it was so amazing that I didn't care.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's about time Alexis was finally eliminated. As the other girls have pointed out, her looks tend to be very basic. And then this week when she tried to do something a little more detail oriented, that translated to a bodice covered in turquoise and a skirt that looked like a table runner wrapped around her waist. I don't know if she just isn't good at making costumes or if her taste level sucks or what. The construction of that skirt (or the lack thereof) is a perfect example. It looked like she did nothing to make it fit her as a skirt. It looked like she just took a rectangular piece of fabric, pinned it on herself askew, and called it a day.

I didn't mind the outfit.  It was well made and everything was finished.  I think if Valentina had come out in it, everyone would have gagged over how beautiful she was.  In general, I think Alexis's looks have been stronger than Peppermint's and it's her personality that kills it.  However, Alexis had really poor judgment in picking the Native American in the first place.  Unless you are Raja and have taste and style references, the best you can do is inoffensive.  I also thought her lip sync was pretty good at the beginning, but she got tired halfway through.

Alexis's strategy should have been to realize she wasn't going to win and go full-on Roxxxy Andrews villainy.  Maybe they would have kept her if she played mind games with the other contestants.  But she didn't have the self-awareness for it.  Again I blame social media for the lack of good bitches.  I couldn't even have fun hating Alexis because I know she must be getting so much hate.

As an aside, I listened to Rupaul's podcast interview with Andie MacDowell and it was pretty good!  (I knew her mostly as the person who ruined Four Weddings).  She moved to New York as a teenager and partied at Studio 54 every night.  Maybe she did meet Peppermint in the park after this episode.

Edited by Ruby Gillis

I am not the LEAST bit surprised that the Native American member of the Village People was an option even when they could've avoided it because lord knows the amount of time that Ru and Michelle on What's the Tee rage about millennials being too PC and hyper-sensitive about stuff. 

17 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

(I kinda liked her Native American look....she was kinda fucked either way, had she gone draggier she would've gotten murdered on social media for appropriation, and queens this year are more focused on that than ever)

As a Construction-American I am simply outraged by the appropriation of my cultural traditions #BuildABetterWorld #TryingToThinkOfMoreConstructionPuns #NailedIt

Anyway, yeah, I'm not sure how one would do a really great Native American Village People look without pissing folks off - it must be possible but I think it'd take more time and consideration than provided by this challenge. 

17 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Ugh. Since when is it the job of the rest of them to tell her ass she looks basic? I wasn't aware that she promised each of them $10,000 when she won. Oh she didn't promise that? Then she needs to shut the fuck up. Alexis has the style and cool of a slightly stylish 44 year old suburban Boy Scout troop mom. She's Lynette Scavo. Next.

PREACH! So basic. So basic. You're a drag queen! This is Drag Race! DO MORE FOR THE LOVE OF RU!

• Love 2

I

3 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I am not the LEAST bit surprised that the Native American member of the Village People was an option even when they could've avoided it because lord knows the amount of time that Ru and Michelle on What's the Tee rage about millennials being too PC and hyper-sensitive about stuff. 

I was cringing (especially since "Native" isn't appropriate terminology in Canada, although I know this differs south of the border), and surprised the show would be so tone-deaf about it. I almost wondered if they were setting Alexis up for a no-win trap. But if Michelle/Ru really feel that way, then I guess that explains it. 

Emotionally I wanted Sasha to win, but I couldn't fully get behind it because I knew Shea had more runway appeal. I can't decide if I'd rather own Shea's patchwork cape or Sasha's tapestry coat. I need to take sewing lessons!

4 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

Yeah, I wasn't surprised by it either, and I wasn't surprised that Michelle's criticism was that Alexis should have made it much draggier. She probably would have loved a full headdress and kitschy tomahawk. 

I get that drag is in a weird grey area. It's always defied boundaries and should be confronting. But I do think that Ru's got a chip on his shoulder after the show got called out for transphobic language and that one awful mini challenge, and lost Absoluut sponsorship as a result. I don't think he thought there was anything wrong with it, and I think both he and Michelle can be willfully obtuse as a result. Letting the queens play with different cultural drag I'm cool with (within reason) when they were the ones to think it up, but assigning another race for a challenge sucks. It's not surprising, but it's not a great look.

It was interesting that if you watch John Polly's Recap of the show, a recap that is officially sponsored by World of Wonder and such, and he wears all the Village People costumes EXCEPT the "Native American" one and says flat out that he wouldn't do it. 

• Love 1

Peppermint is very likeable, she has a great personality that at least defines her in this sea of quiet blandness that the queens are swimming in this season.  The puppet show was emblematic of it; most weren't funny at all, perhaps these queens know each other enough to have in-jokes, but I definitely do not, and was convinced that Sasha was doing Alexis before ultimately realizing it was Trinity; I think if Trinity was alone in a room with a bunch of beige couches, I'd still be unable to pick her out of the crowd.  Sasha needs more wigs, I'm sick to death of seeing her bald head every time.  None of these queens have it, and on any other season they'd be going home on the 4-5th episode.  It's like if this was season 4 but Sharon, Chad, and Latrice weren't cast, so The Princess, Lashaun Beyond, and Dida Ritz wound up being the top 3. 

• Love 1

The past 6 winners ( except Violet) you could see star quality and see them as  pop culture celebrities with their charisma and uniqueness  and comedic talents, which none of this seasons queens have. I wouldn't pay these four to host a gig or book them for a talk show because in comparison to the past winners they are all boring!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

As much as I hated that stupid cheerleading challenge, I think Charlie would have been the third to go regardless. She would have wound up in the bottom two after botching her morning show skit, and there's no way she would have beaten Trinity in that lip sync even if she was healthy as a horse.

I also have no regrets about missing the Eureka vs. Trinity storyline the editors would have forced on us.

I think being in severe pain with a cracked or even bruised rib could account for botching the skit. Her runway look was fine, so maybe she'd not have been in the bottom two. I agree, Trinity would still have won if she had - but I felt Charlie should not have been bottom two that ep.

And while I kind of cheered that Eureka left early as that back and forth with Trinity was shitting me, and I couldn't stand the styled quiff, I still would have preferred that to the endless moaning focus on Nina Bonina Methusala Mae Brown with an e etc., that went on the for the next hundred weeks, instead.

I am also horrified that someone busted a knee on this show, to the point it requires surgery. It just shouldn't happen. I've had knee problems since her age and there really is no fixing some of them; an injury like that, combined with her weight, means that, statisticly speaking, Eureka will be lucky to get to any kind of  'mature' age without needing a knee replacement - and it just shouldn't have happened.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, violet and green said:

I think being in severe pain with a cracked or even bruised rib could account for botching the skit.

Or maybe she just gave a bad performance.

15 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

But I do think that Ru's got a chip on his shoulder after the show got called out for transphobic language and that one awful mini challenge, and lost Absoluut sponsorship as a result.

Didn't Absolut end its sponsorship after season 5?

On 6/3/2017 at 1:19 AM, planetofapes said:

Was I the only person going "Andie MacDowell??? From the Hallmark Channel??? WTF?????"  She looked like the Christian mother they send to summer camp to make gay people straight again.  Nah RuPaul.  No thanks.

My Andie MacDowell is Sex, Lies & Videotape, and Short Cuts, and she's beautiful Because she's worth it™. I was happy to see her.

As soon as Alexis said she was aiming for ready-to-wear...Why, girl, why?

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, JohnnyGilda said:

As soon as Alexis said she was aiming for ready-to-wear...Why, girl, why?

Especially for Alexis, that was a very bad strategy. She's been clocked many times for her basic fashion. She needs to turn everything up to 11.

Though Sasha's rainbow and Village People look were both ready to wear. However, she had the sense to turn up the volume enough that you could have thought that those two outfits just walked off the runway.

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Didn't Absolut end its sponsorship after season 5?

I guess I don't know when they stopped sponsoring. I was talking with a friend about the format change of Untucked, and they said it was due to the "she-male" mini challenge controversy in Season 6 and all the sponsors dropping out. After Season 6 is definitely when Untucked changed, but maybe Absolut was already gone by then. Clearly not basing this off of a lot of actual fact - I don't know why Untucked actually changed - but after the whole change to the "you've got shemail!" intros and dropping any Ru songs being featured in the show that feature the t-word and whatnot, that's when I noticed Ru and Michelle getting very patronizing about people they see as too easily offended.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, alannaofdoom said:

Anyway, yeah, I'm not sure how one would do a really great Native American Village People look without pissing folks off - it must be possible but I think it'd take more time and consideration than provided by this challenge. 

When I saw her walk out, I though immediately that her top should have been a brown or gold color, ar at least a material like suede.  It would have been really cool, if she wasn't so basic all the time, ahem, is if she constructed the corset out of arrows or hot glued a design out of arrowheads, instead of bedazzling it to holy hell.

• Love 1

This season is so very underwhelming.  Another awkward lip sync song.  A mostly lackluster runway. 

On 6/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, planetofapes said:

Woooah!? Andie MacDowell was (and for some, I'm sure) the quintessential sweet, girl next door, all American sex symbol.  Her hair, southern drawl, and appearance in so many great early-mid 90s romantic comedies merits a guest seat on the Drag Race panel any time Ru wants.  Though, this week, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Caitlin Jenner to appear for the Village Themed runway.   Imagine the editing we'd see as Peppermint LYSFL to Macho Man in front of her.   I'd mark out for Steve Gutenberg too.  Alas.  

On 6/2/2017 at 8:14 PM, annewithaneee said:

PEPPERMINT. Sorry Coco, she has snatched your lip sync assassin crown. As much as I would prefer her to be safe next week, and see Sasha and one of the other two prove they can kill a LSYFL, I really want to see more of her, preferably in a slow song. In a season full of really weak and disappointing lip syncs, she's shown twice now that she is something special, and I have a sinking suspicion she could take us to church even better than Latrice.

I don't see it.  Peppermint is an engaging lip syncer, sure.  But in only two songs it already seems repetitive from her.  She also wasn't against the most... captivating competitors.  Dance moves last seen in the Janet Jackson If video can't save her every time.   Coco remains one of the best assassins, but its Jujubee and Alexis are still the only undefeated, uncrowned, lip sync queens.  [Though I consider Yara buzzing in during the All Stars S1 a moment that absolves Alexis of that team loss.]

On 6/3/2017 at 0:08 PM, BloggerAloud said:

I'm not the least surprised about it because the Native American was one of the original Village People, its a statement of fact and shouldn't be ignored because we are more sensitive now to cultural appropriations and stereotypes.  The character was credited as "Felipe the Indian" in Can't Stop the Music.   In the mythology of the Village People, Felipe is an Indian, it is as much who he is as Glenn is a Leatherman.   Since drag is built upon cultural appropriation, I doubt Ru, who is very old school in this regard, would mind somebody going full throttle American Indian aesthetic appropriation on the runway.  It would be a dramatic, controversial, talked about moment.  If it was fashionable, all the better!  If Raja stepped on stage in the same American Indian look from Season 3, she would have won.   

What I find most offensive is that Sasha thinks there was a Mountie in the Village People.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, AntManBee said:

I'm not the least surprised about it because the Native American was one of the original Village People, its a statement of fact and shouldn't be ignored because we are more sensitive now to cultural appropriations and stereotypes. 

I just don't see the point of including the Native American character WHEN we are trying to move on from that kind of appropriation AND there were six Village People so they easily could've included another but again I'm not particularly surprised by RuPaul including it because she's gone to the mat defending blackface in drag and such and its her show at the end of the day.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

I just don't see the point of including the Native American character WHEN we are trying to move on from that kind of appropriation AND there were six Village People so they easily could've included another but again I'm not particularly surprised by RuPaul including it because she's gone to the mat defending blackface in drag and such and its her show at the end of the day.

Felipe isn't the Native American character, "Felipe the Indian" is a Village Person.  Just as he is a go-go boy, waiter, singer, and American Indian.  It is who he is.   Yes there were six Village People, but Felipe has always been a fixture of the Village People, through all of their incarnations, and arguable is the most visually striking and memorable member of the flashy group.  Yes this is because of the headdress and the loin cloth costume... but to omit him from a Village People (and Gayest Runway Evah!) themed challenge because of who is is would be an insult to what the Village People celebrate: being yourself proudly.   

(edited)

The girls lip sync to the Village People's "Macho Man," which marks a rare appearance by a male vocalist in the lip sync (RuPaul excepted).

Quoted from Mark's recap.

The only other one I can remember is Sylvester, which must have been last season because I remember Bob killing it.  Have there been any others for the previous 8 or so (counting AS) seasons?  I've watched every ep, but at some point they all start to blend together.

I'd hand the crown to Peppermint for no other reason than her George Jefferson walk, but I doubt she makes it through next week.

Edited by Sile
11 hours ago, Sile said:

Quoted from Mark's recap.

The only other one I can remember is Sylvester, which must have been last season because I remember Bob killing it.  Have there been any others for the previous 8 or so (counting AS) seasons?  I've watched every ep, but at some point they all start to blend together.

I'd hand the crown to Peppermint for no other reason than her George Jefferson walk, but I doubt she makes it through next week.

Wikipedia says besides RuPaul, it's only been the Village People and Sylvester. You can be cute and add the B-52s for partial credit if you want.

14 hours ago, Sile said:

The only other one [male vocalist for LSFYL]  I can remember is Sylvester, which must have been last season because I remember Bob killing it.  Have there been any others for the previous 8 or so (counting AS) seasons?  

I'm thinking of Rock Lobster by the B-52s, which has a male lead vocalist (I'm sorry I can't remember his name even though I know he was a judge on that episode and that's why they used the song)