Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

This interview with the writer of "Holly" seems to suggest that show June is also going to be making some tapes:

Both of those pieces of narration are from the novel by Margaret Atwood, so that's Margaret's lovely prose there. My belief is that she's talking to a lot of people. She's talking to the baby, she's talking to some unknown future listener of the story that she's recording, because these are recordings that a future June is making of her experiences in Gilead, and I think she's also talking to us the viewer.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, ClaireS said:

I’m sorry I think Serena is a victim too of the misogynistic patriarchy...

No. Serena is a self made victim. SHE created this world. 

I am not for any form of storytelling that attempts to victimize Serena - I will insert my dry tit into a stolen baby's mouth - Joy.

24 minutes ago, jhjhjh said:

What has badass June accomplished after 2 seasons though? 

What ddid she accomplish this season? 

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

This interview with the writer of "Holly" seems to suggest that show June is also going to be making some tapes:

Well at least we know she for sure lives. 

I do know that she does in the books- but it's nice to have that 100% clear. Haha. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I am not for any form of storytelling that attempts to victimize Serena - I will insert my dry tit into a stolen baby's mouth - Joy.

What ddid she accomplish this season? 

You’re right she did, but she never intended it to be this.  Fred has taken it to new levels.  I hated Serena too but I see things a little differently now.  

No what June will accomplish.  Things really start to come together in last 2 episodes.? 

But she did give birth alone and accomplish ed some small things, punching Fred, starting to stand up for herself and others a little.

I think season 3 will be about her working to get people out of gilead especially after the wives start to realize how bad it really is??? She’ll work with the Marthas and others plus work to get Hannah out maybe?

57 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

That’s how book ends; with her making tapes...

You’re right though Serena is a victim of herself but she really does try to change things...

1 hour ago, jhjhjh said:

What has badass June accomplished after 2 seasons though? 

Just wait...?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GraceK said:

This again proves why June choosing to stay with the Waterford’s in that Batshit crazy house makes no sense. Yes June, stay as a slave in that house on the off chance you can possibly see Hannah, while being forced to make yet ANOTHER baby for them. That’s real smart. Save one baby and be used as a broodmare to bring MORE babies into this fucked up society . At this point June herself is becoming a villain, because there’s no guarantee anymore that she will even stay at the Waterford’s with all of there mistakes and fuck ups. Chances are , since her uterus is the only valuable commodity, if she’s not immediately killed or sent to the colonies she can just be sent to another household and be forced to be made pregnant again. So nice job June. Her stupid decision to not escape with her newborn daughter that needs her can very likely result in another baby being born in a hellhole. It makes no sense. 

She’s not staying with the Waterfords.  If she went back there she’d probably be killed.  She’s staying to be a badass and save other women and girls. IMHO!!!

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

I can’t get over the creeper, infatuated Fred telling Offred they’ll try for a boy which makes me have a moment of “poor Serena” but then I’m right back at her holding June down while her creeper husband rapes her.... 

I don't think it would be a "poor Serena" moment, because the boy would also be for her. If others knew that, aside from raping her outside of the rape that's allowed (ugh, ugh, ugh), they both assaulted her to get the baby to come out, and that he's encouraged her to handle books, to sneak around, taken her to Jezebels, etc - he should be severely punished. 

2 hours ago, GraceK said:

Seriously. In Canada she has her husband, best friend and the press working for her. Freedom and the opportunity to use everything at her disposal to fight for her child and for the breakdown of Gilead. She could be a real freedom fighter, a warrior fighting for her daughter and for all the victims in Gilead from a position of power, instead she chooses to stay in a position of complete subjugation and weakness that benefits nobody and basically deserts both her children really. Ugh she just sucks really. 

I agree with you. I don't know what she expects to do, where she is now.

1 hour ago, GraceK said:

Like Wilson in Castaway ????

haha! I was going to say the same thing. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, ClaireS said:

You’re right she did, but she never intended it to be this.  Fred has taken it to new levels.  I hated Serena too but I see things a little differently now.  

No what June will accomplish.  Things really start to come together in last 2 episodes.? 

But she did give birth alone and accomplish ed some small things, punching Fred, starting to stand up for herself and others a little.

I think season 3 will be about her working to get people out of gilead especially after the wives start to realize how bad it really is??? She’ll work with the Marthas and others plus work to get Hannah out maybe?

That’s how book ends; with her making tapes...

You’re right though Serena is a victim of herself but she really does try to change things...

Just wait...?

I agree with you.  I still hold out hope for Serena.

That doesn't absolve her of her nasty actions, but redemption comes in all kinds of ways.

Eden's death may be the catalyst for that, her "one straw too many" and she would be a force in the fight, if that's the way they go.

Either way, I'm not into twirling mustache villains, it's always so much more compelling when people are a mix, as most people are.  The actress is great, and able to show many sides of this complex woman.

6 minutes ago, ClaireS said:

She’s not staying with the Waterfords.  If she went back there she’d probably be killed.  She’s staying to be a badass and save other women and girls. IMHO!!!

Or at least Hannah.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

So the Lydia stabbing didn't happen in E12. I hope it is in E13 and the spoiler was not making things up. Frankly, it is the only thing I am looking forward to.

It's possible it's in the next episode. In the preview it looks like Emily puts a knife in the pocket of her dress and then her new Commander says something about how should I punish you. 

8 minutes ago, LittleRed84 said:

So I just watched next weeks preview.... like 4 times. So much happens so fast that I cannot make out what is happening!!!??

Same. SO. MUCH. IS. GOING. ON!!!

• Love 1

I can't find the damn preview!

Hulu's site is a mess.  At least this week the episode was right there, where it was supposed to be.

Inside the episode was as well, praise be.

BUT, the damn "most recent" preview is for  Postpartum.

Anyone have a direct link?

1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

I can't find the damn preview!

Hulu's site is a mess.  At least this week the episode was right there, where it was supposed to be.

Inside the episode was as well, praise be.

BUT, the damn "most recent" preview is for  Postpartum.

Anyone have a direct link?

It took me completely getting out of Hulu and then going back in before it showed up. The preview wasn't that impressive, though, at least not to me. Mostly a lot of disjointed shots and facial expressions. 

1 minute ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

It looks like Emily does take a stab at a bitch next week.

Thanks for trying, but it's all black, if you can post it as a link instead of letting it convert, it may work!

Just now, mamadrama said:

It took me completely getting out of Hulu and then going back in before it showed up. The preview wasn't that impressive, though, at least not to me. Mostly a lot of disjointed shots and facial expressions. 

Tried that, didn't work this time.  I usually find it on You Tube, but no luck yet.

35 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I agree with you.  I still hold out hope for Serena.

That doesn't absolve her of her nasty actions, but redemption comes in all kinds of ways.

Eden's death may be the catalyst for that, her "one straw too many" and she would be a force in the fight, if that's the way they go.

Either way, I'm not into twirling mustache villains, it's always so much more compelling when people are a mix, as most people are.  The actress is great, and able to show many sides of this complex woman.

Or at least Hannah.

Yes!  On all you said.  I think Eden was a big catalyst for Serena too.?and yes to Hannah. 

21 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

It looks like Emily does take a stab at a bitch next week.

Poor auntie lydia...?

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

To me the preview looks like it lines up with a lot of what people have said the finale would contain, and I still strongly doubt that I am going to have high opinions about it. 

There are many ways to end a sophomore season, exposing more of your storytelling weaknesses and shortcomings, to me, is not wise.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Thank you!

What does Fred say?  All I got was 'misery of all men' and honestly is that him holding June's face, who picks up the knife, does June slap him, and what is the deal with the stairway, Emily, and Aunt Lydia.  I could barely keep track of what I was watching and I watched three times!  Worst promo yet!

The people that watched the finale said it was very good.  I am hoping that's true!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jhjhjh said:

That preview lends a lot of credence to the spoilers from a few pages ago. 

Yep. Serena’s “I did it for our daughter,” the removal of the ring, and her struggling and telling him to stop suggests that she does have her finger cut off.

• Love 5

I guess I'll wait to see how it plays out, but I have ambivalent feelings about this ending and about the whole second season. The part I'm least looking forward to is whatever explanation we get for why Gilead is okay with June staying chez Waterford again after everything went strange over there again. At this point, it's seriously like Bewitched or something. A bunch of crazy stuff happens, Fred tells and obvious lie, and everyone else is like, "Oh, I see. Nothing out of the ordinary. Carry on."

17 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Okay. I missed that Hannah has been beaten.

I still maintain that June would be more effective out of Gilead. The annual visits, even if they increase, won't change her's or Hannah's situation. 

I used to be on team "Just go to Canada" but then I changed my mind. I think what changed for me is the idea that I started to imagine how I would feel if I had to walk away from someone I loved who was dependent on me -- someone who had looked into my eyes and asked me sadly why I didn't try harder to save them -- and cross the boarder into a foreign country where I couldn't know for sure what would happen, or if the situation would be taken out of my hands, or if I'd have an opportunity to come back. I think I would feel like walking away in that situation would mean giving my loved one up for dead and failing in my responsibility to care for them, and I'm honestly not sure I could do it, even if it was dumb to stay. I'm not sure that I would be able to live the rest of my life thinking that I had left that person behind.

So, I think, after that drawn-out scene between June and Hannah, I get it, on an emotional level. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yep. Serena’s “I did it for our daughter,” the removal of the ring, and her struggling and telling him to stop suggests that she does have her finger cut off.

I could be wrong but it looked like the commander took HIS ring off and set it on the bedside table?? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

It's possible it's in the next episode. In the preview it looks like Emily puts a knife in the pocket of her dress and then her new Commander says something about how should I punish you. 

I get the impression that he does not really stick to the script for the Ceremony, like he goes rogue and just tries to get it whenever he can get it and if that means a wrestling match or a game of tag, he will get it eventually. Charming.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleRed84 said:

I could be wrong but it looked like the commander took HIS ring off and set it on the bedside table?? 

Maybe it's Serena's ring and he has it while they cut off her finger.

I don't get from the spoilers on reddit, who on the end escapes? Emily, the baby and/or the new Commander?

And why is Nick pointing a gun on Waterford and  why doesn't Serena after they cut of her finger escape also if she was given an opportunity because of the fire?

And how come does she gives up her child so easily ?

• Love 2

If the spoilers are to be believed, then I guess Serena's punishment will put paid to her international travel as a Gilead representative and also meeting dignitaries. After all as Serena said, bruised apples musn't be at the top of the crate.

• Love 1

I'm new to this thread and haven't had a chance to read through all the back posts yet.  I only got to page 15 working backwards and saw the spoilers about Emily, New Commander and baby Holly escaping, and June staying.

Could one of you kind souls point me to a link where I could read all the finale spoilers? Thanks!

Blessed be the Froot Loops!!! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

I don't want to.  I'm having a bout of instant gratification syndrome, can you post a summary? 

I’ll try but there are a lot of little nuances that can’t all be explained.  But I can give a brief truthful overview.  I’ll post later when I get home.?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

If I didn't know about 1) the rape and 2) that Serena was both complicit and an active participant in the destruction of the the USA and the Constitution, to include the murder of the entire US Senete, who knows how many innocent bystanders during their bloody takeover, and the war, then maybe I could squint very hard and feel a smidgen of sympathy. She is pretty much just like her darling hubby, she talked a good game about all this holy rolly Gilead shit but really she just wanted power for herself. She just epically fucked herself over, which, considering what an awful human being she is, is pretty satisfying. Now I just need them to either send her to the colonies, Jezebel's, the Wall, or a red center and I will be thrilled. Or be turn herself over to the US government hoping for amnesty and instead be charged for terrorism and treason.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, maggiegil said:

If the spoilers are to be believed, then I guess Serena's punishment will put paid to her international travel as a Gilead representative and also meeting dignitaries. After all as Serena said, bruised apples musn't be at the top of the crate.

It would be interesting if they started sending June with Fred on the foreign visits. VERY propaganda-ish. "Look at my Handmaid and see how happy and content she is to be doing the Lord's work!" 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

I don't want to.  I'm having a bout of instant gratification syndrome, can you post a summary? 

I'm not into playing coy-this is a spoiler thread, if you have spoilers then spill! :-) There's a summary farther up. It should still be there. Basically,though:

- Emily stabs Aunt Lydia

- Serena Joy gets he finger cut off after she starts reading from Eden's Bible

- A house fire starts across the street. During the pandemonium, a truck pulls up to June. It's got Emily and Commander Lawrence. Apparenty, the Marthas created an escape plan. Serena Joy begs June not to go but, in the end, releases Holly. Rather than leaving herself, June gives Holly to Emily and they leave. 

- Fred tells June that they'll try for a boy. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I'm not into playing coy-this is a spoiler thread, if you have spoilers then spill! :-) There's a summary farther up. It should still be there. Basically,though:

- Emily stabs Aunt Lydia

- Serena Joy gets he finger cut off after she starts reading from Eden's Bible

- A house fire starts across the street. During the pandemonium, a truck pulls up to June. It's got Emily and Commander Lawrence. Apparenty, the Marthas created an escape plan. Serena Joy begs June not to go but, in the end, releases Holly. Rather than leaving herself, June gives Holly to Emily and they leave. 

- Fred tells June that they'll try for a boy. 

Thanks for that summary!

Also, what the......

There better be a good reason why June doesn't go too. She can't rescue Hannah from inside Gilead because look how well that's worked out so far. She needs to get out. I'm not one for victim blaming, but unless the show convinces me this is 100% the right choice I can feel my sympathy waning for June.

In addition, say goodbye to that finger, Serena. Somehow, still not enough.

• Love 5

At this point June might as well just marry Fred if they are gonna keep her in Gilead. That makes more sense than her just sticking around as the most problematic handmaid ever who keeps having wacky adventures.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, GraceK said:

At this point June might as well just marry Fred if they are gonna keep her in Gilead. That makes more sense than her just sticking around as the most problematic handmaid ever who keeps having wacky adventures.

Really. At this point Janine has caused fewer problems-and she kidnapped her own child and threatened to jump off a bridge with her. 

• Love 8

This may be crazy - but I am wondering: Janine is missing her right eye because "if they right eye offends thee, pluck it out." But the Martha at Lawrence's house who answered the door is missing her left eye. Wonder what she did to lose it?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I get the impression that he does not really stick to the script for the Ceremony, like he goes rogue and just tries to get it whenever he can get it and if that means a wrestling match or a game of tag, he will get it eventually. Charming.

No ceremony???

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

No, I'm saying he seems like he does what he wants, when he wants.  The ceremony is the "legal" way to have sex but he may just take liberties when he feels like it.

No I meant there’s no ceremony or anything else.  He’s REALLY cool...?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ClaireS said:

No I meant there’s no ceremony or anything else.  He’s REALLY cool...?

Thanks for posting this because now I can watch next week without covering my face and watching between my fingers while I wait for the show to dash my hopes for him. I'm so glad he's a good one.

• Love 1

I love the new Commander. He has a world class level art collection! A Basquiat in his staircase! I LOVED watching Aunt Lydia "clutch her pearls" as she looked around. I love the way he says stuff. He's so over it and genuinely weird. Why couldn't they have introduced him much much earlier I could watch a show of just him and his Sassing Martha.

I found his "attic dweller" wife refreshing because for once a wife is appropriately insane. The closest we've seen is the nice lady in the house Emily was in before.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DiabLOL said:

Why couldn't they have introduced him much much earlier

I agree, I wish they'd given us a bit more time to get used to his character rather than have him come in one ep before the finale and then perhaps be a major catalyst. It feels a bit like he was shoe horned in at the end like even I wish we had heard some of the characters gossiping about how odd he and his wife were or something . Hoping I'm wrong and his character feels fully realised and natural by the end of this season.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

I agree, I wish they'd given us a bit more time to get used to his character rather than have him come in one ep before the finale and then perhaps be a major catalyst. It feels a bit like he was shoe horned in at the end like even I wish we had heard some of the characters gossiping about how odd he and his wife were or something . Hoping I'm wrong and his character feels fully realised and natural by the end of this season.

I think he’s going to remain a wild card by the end of the next episode, but I’m hoping the way the season ends means we will see him next season, assisting Emily, and continuing to play an interesting part.

Of course, now that I’ve said this, next season will open with Emily on her own with the baby, Lawrence having left her to finish her journey in a safer location, as he needed to return to his wife and we never see him again.

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I love the new Commander. He has a world class level art collection! A Basquiat in his staircase! I LOVED watching Aunt Lydia "clutch her pearls" as she looked around. I love the way he says stuff. He's so over it and genuinely weird. Why couldn't they have introduced him much much earlier I could watch a show of just him and his Sassing Martha.

I found his "attic dweller" wife refreshing because for once a wife is appropriately insane. The closest we've seen is the nice lady in the house Emily was in before.

I loved him too. After reading posts from people who were turned off by him and saying how terrible he was, I am starting to think that I watched a completely different show. I LOVED his art collection and his loco wife and sassy Martha. I want more of him!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I think he’s going to remain a wild card by the end of the next episode, but I’m hoping the way the season ends means we will see him next season, assisting Emily, and continuing to play an interesting part.

Of course, now that I’ve said this, next season will open with Emily on her own with the baby, Lawrence having left her to finish her journey in a safer location, as he needed to return to his wife and we never see him again.

Maybe Lawrence is actually the wolf dog from “Holly”, he can transform into the animal whenever necessary. 

So he could leave Emily with the getaway vehicle so she can finish transportaing Holly safely and then he sprints back off into the woods to return home. 

Maybe that also is why his wife is a little off kilter, she knows she’s married to a werewolf. 

Actually thinking about it, animal metamorphosis is probably the one theme that the show developers have not yet thrown into the mix.

• Love 5