Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E24: Ring Of Fire

• Start Topic

I think it was said a long ways back that the work hookups and relationships were about the only realistic thing about this show, since doctors and residents pretty much live in the hospital and never have a chance to meet anyone else. I would imagine, though, that in a hospital with literally hundreds of employees, people aren't playing hot potato with the same six or seven partners.

• Love 3

The problem with Maggie and Jackson is that Maggie is the worst. She's annoying as Fuck and has no chemistry with anyone.

I agree, 100%!!!

The slo-mo, fuzzy fugue state Owen kept slipping into was driving me crazy.  I've never liked him, and his self-centered reaction about Megan being alive...

I totally understood that. I felt that way when I went to see my father in a hospice. You feel faint, and you're anxious, very mixed emotions,

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I think it was said a long ways back that the work hookups and relationships were about the only realistic thing about this show, since doctors and residents pretty much live in the hospital and never have a chance to meet anyone else. I would imagine, though, that in a hospital with literally hundreds of employees, people aren't playing hot potato with the same six or seven partners.

But why are they all doctors?  Why has the show consistently ignored nurses?

• Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And how did they get the fire out, anyway?  No sprinklers, and the firefighters were mostly just standing around, looking at maps...

I was just so annoyed that Stephanie couldn't find a fire extinguisher, especially in the stairwell. My office building has a fire extinguisher on every landing in the stairwell. The fact that she couldn't find one in the lab was pretty ridiculous too. A room with explosive material like that would have extinguishers, sprinklers, and probably even a halon fire suppression system.

What I did like was the burns on Stephanie. I've been a burn patient (which made this a difficult watch) and it drives me crazy to see people jump through flames and get no injuries.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, MV007 said:

To be fair, there was Nurse Olivia of the Syph in season 1 and then scrub nurse Rose somewhere in the middle of the run.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

In the previous episode, April and Maggie make plans to go get a drink after work together.  Maggie says she wants to meet a man who isn't a doctor and April says she doesn't want a boyfriend.  

Maybe Maggie hooks up with a fireman next season.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, flickers said:

We used to complain all the time about the "ER" docs never dating outside their incestuous little circle too, though. 

To be fair, at least they didn't just date ER docs.  Abby, Sam, and Carol were all nurses.  Randi was a clerk.  Ray (who dated Carol) was a paramedic.   

Not all their significant others were in health care either:
Carter and Kem, Benton and Carla,  Weaver and Sandy Lopez (a firefighter), Jeannie and Reggie (a police officer) and goodness knows Ross had a slew of girlfriends.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

To be fair, there was Nurse Olivia of the Syph in season 1 and then scrub nurse Rose somewhere in the middle of the run.

Not sure thats being fair so much as the exception proving the rule.  Just think that the two most prominent nurses you could think of were around for what a total of 4 episodes? And were played for a joke or as the worst foil ever for MerDer

• Love 3
Just now, MV007 said:

Not sure thats being fair so much as the exception proving the rule.  Just think that the two most prominent nurses you could think of were around for what a total of 4 episodes? And were played for a joke or as the worst foil ever for MerDer

I'm not arguing with you at all--personally, I think it is ridiculous that the people in this show only have relationships with their co-workers, or someone who is about to become their co-worker.  Honestly, I'm not sure why we don't have a full-on series regular who is a nurse.

On an anecdotal side, though, I have a friend who recently became a nurse (he was an engineer for the first 20 or so years of his professional life).  He works in an ER and he says that there is actually a lot of animosity between nurses and doctors.  I'm not sure how serious that is, since he seems to have a lot of animosity wherever he works (and his partner is a doctor, albeit at a different hospital).  They've touched on this a bit way back in the early seasons when the nurses went on strike for one episode for some reason...(my mind is telling me it was because of Alex).  But, other than that, the nurses--of whom there are far more at the hospital than the doctors--aren't even acknowledged.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, MV007 said:

Alex dated nurses! Remember the syphilis? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

And the nurse Bailey dated - can't remember his name

• Like 1

So I hate that I have to agree with Minnick but …… it WASN'T her job to inform the police & firefighters that Stephanie was missing.  Before you throw stuff at me, hear me out.

At my Corporate America office building we review our emergency procedures at least twice a year. In the event of an emergency we know where to go and once we arrive at our designated safe place the manager of each department is required to take attendance.  If someone is missing they report it to the safety officer who would then, presumably, coordinate search and rescue efforts. (We've never had it get that far).

Following that model, Bailey as the Chief of Surgery should have been accountable for her surgeons and should have made sure that the authorities were informed. 

I'm sure that there are all types of emergency evacuation plans out there and that plans may need modification when the real emergency occurs but it didn't seem like they had any base plan to work from at all (which is incredible considering all of the stuff that has happened at this hospital)besides the "Code Orange"

The problem with this show is that they treat our core group of surgeons as if they are the only doctors/ employees with authority at this hospital. While it's okay on any given week this is the second time that Bailey has called a "Code Orange" and disaster ensued.  Why didn't they install some kind of communication devices in each section after the first "Code Orange" led to the C-section from hell?

I've obviously thought about this much more than the writers. 

I'm glad Minnick is gone and hope she stays away but I hate that it was for something like this.  Obviously she' s not the co-worker I want to get stuck with in an emergency but she should have been let go because Webber is the better teacher not because he's the kinder person.

• Love 5

So I hate that I have to agree with Minnick but …… it WASN'T her job to inform the police & firefighters that Stephanie was missing.

That may be 100% true. But she said she would do it. And then she didn't. So whether or not it was her job...she committed to taking care of that task and then didn't. She's on the hook for it.

• Love 11

Arizona looked devastated when she learned Minnick was fired, a reasonable response about someone you're dating. But, as we have discussed above, that means the end of the relationship because no dating is apparently allowed if you are not a surgical coworker!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

That may be 100% true. But she said she would do it. And then she didn't. So whether or not it was her job...she committed to taking care of that task and then didn't. She's on the hook for it.

That's exactly it! She basically was: "Oh, people are hurt, let me be the awesome doctor I am in my head!" What was worst was that fire fighters never asked to other doctors if they knew if anyone else was in the hospital or any codes called. But of course in Grey/Sloan Mercy Death, there are not fire extinguishers, sprinklers never go off from explosions, ID badges never work in specific spots and other doctors throw other residents under the bus when they make them look bad. Either way, I'm glad her ass was fired, she was a moron. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, readster said:

That's exactly it! She basically was: "Oh, people are hurt, let me be the awesome doctor I am in my head!" What was worst was that fire fighters never asked to other doctors if they knew if anyone else was in the hospital or any codes called. But of course in Grey/Sloan Mercy Death, there are not fire extinguishers, sprinklers never go off from explosions, ID badges never work in specific spots and other doctors throw other residents under the bus when they make them look bad. Either way, I'm glad her ass was fired, she was a moron. 

The moment that got me, when I hated Minnick more than when I ever hated her, was when she tried to throw Richard under the bus.  Not only did it show her true colors, but it showed what a child she is.  Seriously, my kids are 6 and 8 and they know better than to do crap like that (and, if they tried, my reaction would not be that different from Bailey's).

• Love 9

I must say, when Minnick said that she forgot to tell the firefighters about the missing doctor and child, I laughed so hard. Look at the looks on the other doctors' faces! Minnick mentions it as if she forgot to pick up eggs at the grocery store! HAHAHA. She's terrible. WTF? Minnick's firing scene is the most I've like Bailey in a long time. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Minnick!

Jerrika was awesome this episode, and it really highlighted how underused she's been on this show. 

Also, I cannot believe that they didn't kill off Stephanie. I'm actually shocked they gave her a logical send off!

Oh, how I wish fires would put themselves out when convenient! 

Meredith/Riggs -- loved them in this episode.

What. Happened. This. Season? 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, MV007 said:

Earlier seasons did give a bit more time to nurses, including Tyler, especially Olivia (she gave Alex and/or George the clap), and an Asian woman with medium-length hair. Oh, and Eli, a love interest of Bailey's.

5 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

In the previous episode, April and Maggie make plans to go get a drink after work together.  Maggie says she wants to meet a man who isn't a doctor and April says she doesn't want a boyfriend.  

Maybe Maggie hooks up with a fireman next season.  

Have they said there'd be show crossover?

14 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Well, it's a spin-off, and one set in the same city, so my guess is that there will be crossover episodes.

It's like Shonda is trying to do Seattle Medical, Seattle Fire, etc.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

We know that Olivia got let go in the merger. Is Eli still up there taking care of post op patients? ?

Wasn't Eli on another Shonda show? (The actor, not the character....the character was on Grey's...)

15 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

They are doing a spin-off next season about firefighters.  It will tie in to Grey's for an episode or more.  

Probably a bit like Melrose Place spun off from 90210.  I think it's been discussed a bit in the media thread.

(edited)

Is Eli still up there taking care of post op patients? ?

Eli told Lexie he was at Grey Sloan twelve years before his eight episode fling with Miranda started. He and Dr. Bailey were going to cure fistulas. Mark gave him Seahawks tickets. Derek caught Miranda and Eli in the on call room. Teddy invited the couple to dinner. Eli wanted to meet Tuck. 

Wasn't Eli on another Shonda show? (The actor, not the character....the character was on Grey's...)

I don't remember seeing Daniel Sunjata on any of the other Shonda shows. He played an FBI agent on Graceland and an attorney on Notorious. 

1 hour ago, Biggie B said:

So whether or not it was her job...she committed to taking care of that task and then didn't. She's on the hook for it.

Yep. Minnick refused to take any responsibilty for her actions. I'm glad Chief Bailey finally figured out that whatever Grey Sloan's problems are, the Minnick Method and individual staff like Minnick aren't necessarily the most appropriate fix. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 1
On May 18, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Chicken Wing said:

You have to be related by blood for it to be incest. If you're not, then it's not. They're step-siblings, but hardly that since Webber isn't actually a "dad" to Maggie anyway. It's just ... huh. Not really gross, not necessarily weird, just makes you go ... huh.

Kinda reminds me of Catelynn and Tyler from 16 and Pregnant, they got together as preteens and then her mom married his dad and they were stepsiblings for a few years there, including when she gave birth. Kinda made people go "...huh" like you said lol. 

PTV is being weird but another medical show where the dating wasnt completely within the small group of doctors was Scrubs. Outside of JD and Elliot, you had Turk who married Nurse Carla, Dr. Cox who married Jordan the non-medical board member, and who could forget Janitor and ukulele girl lol. And the doctors weren't all surgeons either, IIRC Turk was the only surgeon. 

Dont get me wrong I'm happy Stephanie lived but it's extremely unlikely a gifted surgical resident at what is most likely the end of her residency saying "eff this I quit", even after a fairly traumatic event. The monetary value of the loans she'll be paying back without a surgeon's salary make me cringe. It would've made more sense to me if she went on sabbatical and at the premiere of next season we see the other doctors talking about how she decided to continue her residency elsewhere because of all the stuff that happened at GSMH. 

Also am I the only one who didn't get a Maggie/Jackson vibe from this episode, but a throwback "Stackson" one? Like I get it he was the one who told her to go with the rapist but he put himself at extreme risk to find her, maybe more risk than what he would've taken for a platonic friend/fellow surgeon. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ChaChaSlide said:

Also am I the only one who didn't get a Maggie/Jackson vibe from this episode, but a throwback "Stackson" one? Like I get it he was the one who told her to go with the rapist but he put himself at extreme risk to find her, maybe more risk than what he would've taken for a platonic friend/fellow surgeon. 

I'm with you, but I think the intention (based on April's part) was that we were supposed to get the Maggie/Jackson vibe.  I think it worked better in the earlier episodes with Maggie's mom, but I didn't feel it here--and then the show told us THIS IS WHAT IT IS!!!  Ugh.  When April told Maggie that she could tell that Jackson liked her and she liked Jackson, I had 2 thoughts:

1 - Really?  'Cuz I don't see it, at least not from what April would have seen.
2 - Are we really back in middle school?

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Dee said:

Speaking of Grey's nurses, let us not forget this gem...

Oho. i miss Mark. And this Miranda. 
"so let us close our knees."

There was also that black nurse. I think (legitimately) they fired or killed all the nurses. they SHOULD have a nurse who is a series regular. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Oho. i miss Mark. And this Miranda. 
"so let us close our knees."

There was also that black nurse. I think (legitimately) they fired or killed all the nurses. they SHOULD have a nurse who is a series regular. 

Well, there's Bokhee, the real-life scrub nurse, but she's had one one-word line in the entire series.

• Love 2

The best thing about this episode was that Stephanie survived.  That was a huge surprise.  But I couldn't understand why she didn't throw things off of the roof to get people's attention.

The worst thing, as usual, was the incompetence of the characters.

On 2017-05-18 at 10:44 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. There were so many plots and episodes that were so slowly paced and building to nothing. I hated the Maggie Riggs Mer triangle because like most of us predicated Megan was going to be alive, so there was no point. Also.. why couldn't the conflict have been Meredith just wasn't ready?

That really sums up this season. The biggest drama of the season was the Meredith/Riggs/Maggie conflict, which ended up being Much Ado About Nothing since Megan is alive, as we all predicted.

Next season -- get prepared for the Maggie/Jackson/April triangle, which will end up with Jackson and April back together.  I can tell from the way April told Maggie to go for him.

22 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

I But WHY OH WHY is Katherine acting like she is the be all and end all?

Because Debbie Allen is one of the EPs of the show now and directed this episode and she likes Katherine that way.. No more reason needed.

10 hours ago, MV007 said:

I thought Riggs initial reaction was one of disbelief and shock.  And once he realized it was really happening he became happy.  On the other hand, I can buy Hunt's initial reaction as shock but then he goes into this self-blame thing and there was never really a moment where I remember him being happy she's alive.  At least not in any way beyond being cursory.  And honestly, it didn't really jump out of me until we saw Riggs and I started to think to myself, why the eff was Hunt not happier?

I thought it was realistic for both characters.  Hunt has a history of PTSD and this was going to trigger it, not only his PTSD but also his guilt at accepting that she was dead and not continuing to look for her. I thought the director showed shock very well.  If she's at all traumatized, and she probably is, stay tuned for his self-blame which is natural given his situation.

Riggs, on the other hand, doesn't have PTSD so his reaction is free to be all happy and glad she's alive.  Although didn't he cheat on her just before she lief on her trip?  I expect he's going to have that conflict and guilt next season.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My problem with Maggie is that she seems extremely immature for the type of character she's supposed to be. Even more so than a lot of the others with the possible exception of April who generally acts like she's about 10. I think Kelly McCreary would have been a fine addition to the cast if she were playing someone else, like one of the interns. I just don't buy her as some kind of world-class,  renowned cardio prodigy.

ITA.  They write Maggie like she's got an emotional age of 12.  She's not autistic, she's not traumatized, there's no reason to write her like that. And it's not interesting or entertaining.

• Love 4

Whatever you all think of Marika, I think she was  a breath of fresh air compared to Sara and I will miss her. But Minnick was right about Steph. The girl was out of control, broke rules, endangered the little girl, set a patient on fire, blew up the hospital. She went against everything a doctor is trained to do, firstly Cause no harm.  She actually kinda murdered that guy. It was pretty ridiculous. She could have used that scalpel to subdue him. It looks like she had a few pounds on the sickly guy.  She could have taken him down so many other ways.  The stupidest thing is that Bailey took her side without knowing any facts and if you are a Grey's buff, Bailey lauded her for things she disciplined and chastised Izzie for, getting too involved with patients.  You'd think at least the actors would remind the ever changing PTB about character continuity. Webber should have been fired for allowing Steph to run amok with no concern for the hospital or its patients.   

The stupidest thing is how they went on and on about how Webber taught them right.  Every doctor he taught has gone rogue, and they wasted time and money teaching Steph for her to turn around and impulsively quit.  Sounds like a failure in the teaching department to me. 

Minnick spoke the truth, if Webber wasn't so lenient and a bleeding heart, Steph never would have been on the job to create that mess. The idea that the entire finale was about her going off, was a big disappointment. Arizona/Alex scenes were cut. The Jolex decision that was teased, was scrapped.  Jackson with mousey maggie?  no chemistry at all.  Tired of Owen and his manpain. Put him out to pasture. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BluBarbi98 said:

I'm glad Minnick is gone and hope she stays away but I hate that it was for something like this. 

It wasn't for something like this. Something like this was a trigger to fire her. But I think Bailey wanted her go long ago....

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, flickers said:

I'm so glad to see the end of Minnick, but I wish the whole civil war storyline had had an actual point. What a gigantic waste of time.

Was there a point to any of this season? I mean it did anything happen or get resolved?

• Love 2

I'm just going back on dating... The dating amongst colleges wouldn't bug me so much if they all weren't almost in a big orgy. Jackson slept with April, Stephanie, now we can assume Maggie.

Alex slept with Izzie, she with George, George with Callie, Callie with Arizona, then Arizona with Minnick.

You probaby see what I mean

• Love 1

Like many other viewers, I felt the Meredith/Riggs moment really stood out. Which, yeah, the only time that couple makes me feel anything is when they're used to remind us of characters/relationships that actually meant anything (ie, Meredith/Derek). I don't have anything against Riggs, he seems a fairly reasonable and likable person, it's just he's so ...bland. He doesn't stand out, he doesn't command attention. I didn't always like Derek, but he had a certain charisma, he had an impact on the scenes he was in, and I certainly didn't doubt that Meredith loved him. "Remember the dream where they come back to us ... if it was Derek, I'd already be gone." Now that's how to wring some emotion out of scene. It's just the show is essentially over if it can only evoke emotion in response to past seasons, if it's gonna stay vital it has to forge new characters and relationships that have real impact. Which, they haven't been doing great with that. Stephanie's been on the show how many seasons now, and again like with Riggs I don't have anything against her, but I don't *know* her, not the way I knew every member of MAGIC after just a few episodes.

• Love 9

I'm not sure if Minnick is entirely gone as Marika was hella enthusiastic on Twitter for someone's last day on a show. She also said that playing Eliza is the best thing that has happened to her. obviously she's enjoying the attention one would easily get if they're paired opposite with Arizona (or Callie). As much I don't like the character, I won't mind if GA kept her off screw vile as Arizona's partner (she can show up once a season like Adele or like Ben used to be in earlier season) as long as the series runs or Sara returns.... 

My problem with Jackson and Maggie is that when I know that japril are endgame I just don't want another black woman to be dragged though a love triangle and then dropped off like next day garbage (like they did with Steph. Sometimes I don't even understand how people like Jackson smh).

and also this season is out of places. Every story is right where it started from. Accept now we have added Owen's man pain.

the promo pics had an Alex Arizona scene (probably regarding Alex's decision) which got cut. How we are even supposed to root for Jolex when that ship is just baseless now.

im glad Steph is leaving, never liked any intern from S9 batch anyway.

can shonda bring Teddy back though? Now that they have mentioned her.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, beautifulGA said:

can shonda bring Teddy back though? Now that they have mentioned her.

or Addison! I don't need her to be a regular - it would be hard to set up anyway - but I would love to see her again :) maybe as an opponent to Arizona? They have the same specialty now..

• Love 3
2 hours ago, beautifulGA said:

I don't even understand how people like Jackson smh

He's a man. Its the women that get drag by fandom the majority of the time.

Jackson is terrible

If anything for the writers, Maggie is the second behind Meredith. She'll probably be stuck with Jackson awfulness forever or until the show is canceled. I don't like Maggie but she doesn't deserve that

• Love 2
5 hours ago, flickers said:

I'm so glad to see the end of Minnick, but I wish the whole civil war storyline had had an actual point. What a gigantic waste of time.

The civil was was not only a gigantic waste of time it made Every. Single. Person. involved in it look like they should be in kindergarten learning  how to play well with others.  You got a new boss who wants to do things differently -- deal with it.

Stupid artificial manufactured drama.

• Love 3

Not that this wasn't a dramatic episode which had good moments, but Minnick was right - the safety of the patients was the #1 priority.  It wasn't her fault that Stephanie was in danger, it was Stephanie's.  I wanted to smack Bailey when she said that if Stephanie had still been suspended, the little girl wouldn't be safe; no, the girl, the entire hospital, and every single person in it wouldn't have been in danger at all.  Stephanie was the one who helped the rapist out of his bed and was taking him to be with his victim (not that she knew he was an attempted rapist).  She was the one who, instead of grabbing the scalpel and slashing or stabbing him with it, chose to set him on fire, which is what caused the explosion in the first place, and ultimately it was Stephanie's series of bad choices which put the hospital and everyone in it in danger.  It was all Stephanie's fault, not Minnick's.  That said, if this means Minnick is gone, then yay.

Ben's actions to go find Stephanie were foolhardy, not heroic.  Jackson going off hunting for Stephanie and Mere searching for the little girl, both instead of helping their patients, were ridiculous under the circumstances.  At least when Alex got to the hospital, he was worried about his patients, as was Arizona; quite appropriate considering theirs were the least able to help themselves.  The Maggie-Jackson thing is nauseating.

For me, the best part of the episode were the scenes with Owen & Amelia - never thought I'd say that - and the one where Mere told Nathan that Megan is still alive.  Martin Henderson did a magnificent job with Nathan's reaction.

• Love 8

Minnick being fired was a highlight. That was the only scene with her that i've liked all season.

I was hoping that the firefighter that Arizona flirted with would make an appearance. She's the first person i thought of when the spinoff was announced. Do you think any of the firefighters shown in this episode will be part of the spinoff? (specifically the woman introduced by Bailey on the stairs)

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, nic said:

Minnick being fired was a highlight. That was the only scene with her that i've liked all season.

I was hoping that the firefighter that Arizona flirted with would make an appearance. She's the first person i thought of when the spinoff was announced. Do you think any of the firefighters shown in this episode will be part of the spinoff? (specifically the woman introduced by Bailey on the stairs)

I'm sure the woman will.

• Love 1
(edited)

Eliza served her purpose. She came to be a love interest for Arizona. IF Callie comes back then Shonda doesn't wanna hear that Arizona never got the chance to move on. It's not just Calzona fans who didn't like her. Alot of general Grey's fans didn't like her either. Just look at the comments in this thread.

She came in on this high horse that her way was the ONLY way. She didn't try to compromise or want to tweak her method at all. I doubt she's in S14. Other than off screen still sexing Arizona down. I'm not sorry to see her go. They didn't have any chemistry. Better yet she and Penny can get together. I couldn't stand her either. I'm glad Eliza is fired! I'm sure Marika is a nice person. But her character was wooden. It was like watching a mannequin. Just no.

Just bring back Callie, Cristina, Teddy, and Addison. Characters who were amazing. 

Edited by luvisaserialkiller
  • Love 7
(edited)

As people have pointed out, Stephanie was breaking the rules to take that rapist to his "sweetheart" in the first place. And everyone seems to agree, there were multiple opportunities for her to have gotten that scalpel away from the him without burning him alive.

Stephanie waited too long to take action, then ultimately chose a catastrophic way to "save" the girl and eliminate the threat from the rapist. (Suggesting fire in the first place, then participating in creating the explosion that burned down part of the hospital, put many patients' lives in danger -and doctors are supposed to "do no harm".) I like the actress, but the the writers made her character unappealing.

I'm just glad they didn't kill her off, or let that little girl die because of her poor decisions. 

As for Minnick -ick. Good riddance! Obviously, some of the doctors acted like they were in Jr. High while trying to get rid of her. But the whole Minnick story line should never have happened in the first place. [I think maybe Shonda had intended for Minnick to be on the show next year, but changed her mind after seeing how Grey's fans felt about her...] 

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 4