Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, I always thought Annie and Greg had a very low-key relationship after the initial courtship/teenage years/Sadie's birth.  Never married so no real custody arrangement.  She never pursued formal child support so that was always a "he'll contribute when he can/hey I need an extra $200 to make rent this month" type situation.  They probably hooked up on the regular but that was more an itch to scratch and comfortable with the other type person deal. 

I certainly never got the impression he and Annie were in a relationship when he hooked up with Blonde Dr. Lady.  Just that Annie didn't like her/the relationship because of "stuff."

• Love 1

I hadn't watched the pilot in over a year, and the teen daughter didn't like what was happening either re: custody. She didn't want to live with her dad and his new wife, didn't want to go to a new school. She ended up loving it, and then feeling some loyalty to her stepmother (this last episode), but it wasn't just Annie that had a problem with it all. 

• Love 1

So superwoman Beth, who can't do basic math (which is OK, because neither can the writers) is going to own the Biggest Baddest Mostest Wonderfulest car dealership in Detroit because... mommy-power!

The men on this show are painted with the broadest strokes to make them sooooo bad -- how could super-cool (Ice queen) Beth see in a schlub like Dean?  He's just sooooooo awful!!!  Greg wasn't hated enough so they had to make him a cheating jerk (it's different with Beth and Rio -- it's not cheating because... Dean deserves it!!!).  The FBI guy has to be a bumbling fool.  And Rio is not cool or sexy, and I want to think he's totally using Beth.  He sees that she loves thinking she has power, so he lets her pretend she has some.  The only guy worth  a damn is Stan.  I'm sure they'll find a way to make him crap too, too promote super-cool Beth.

I think I'm hate-watching now, and counting down the days to Claws.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, jhlipton said:

The men on this show are painted with the broadest strokes to make them sooooo bad -- how could super-cool (Ice queen) Beth see in a schlub like Dean?  He's just sooooooo awful!!!  Greg wasn't hated enough so they had to make him a cheating jerk (it's different with Beth and Rio -- it's not cheating because... Dean deserves it!!!).  The FBI guy has to be a bumbling fool.  And Rio is not cool or sexy, and I want to think he's totally using Beth.  He sees that she loves thinking she has power, so he lets her pretend she has some.  The only guy worth  a damn is Stan.  I'm sure they'll find a way to make him crap too, too promote super-cool Beth.

I think most of the men do have redeeming qualities. In fact, I think most of the characters of both genders have positive and negative qualities--no one seems cartoonishly evil or cartoonishly good to me. I mean hell, even Boomer loved his Nana, even if he was also stealing from her. Dean cheated with multiple women, lied about having cancer, and sucks at his job, but he also loves his kids, wants to make things right with his wife, and stood up to Rio even after Rio nearly killed him. And even Rio, who we are told is murderous thug, has been all bark and no bite, for the most part--Mary Pat technically has a higher onscreen body count than he does, and he's given Beth so many chances to get out of the game and she's never taken them. I think Greg is the most questionable to me because I can't decide which is worse, staying with the pregnant wife that he doesn't love just because she's pregnant, or still wanting to be with Annie even though his wife is pregnant.

Likewise, I don't think the female characters are without flaws. Beth has a reckless streak and a tendency to make decisions that affect other people without consulting them. Annie is... Annie. And I'd say Ruby's biggest flaw is sometimes being emotionally dishonest with herself (and Stan) about her motives.

But the show is called Good Girls, so yes, it's definitely written with the intention of having the audience root for the women!

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Likewise, I don't think the female characters are without flaws. Beth has a reckless streak and a tendency to make decisions that affect other people without consulting them. Annie is... Annie. And I'd say Ruby's biggest flaw is sometimes being emotionally dishonest with herself (and Stan) about her motives. 

But the show is called Good Girls, so yes, it's definitely written with the intention of having the audience root for the women!

I mean, given the premise for the show, the title is clearly ironic. Every character has got an issue (or two).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I mean, given the premise for the show, the title is clearly ironic. Every character has got an issue (or two).

LOL, I see your point--I probably should have italicized "Girls" for emphasis! I think they started out as "good girls," for the most part, but at this point, I think every character resides somewhere in the moral grey area, so the "Good" part of the title is definitely questionable. 

Maybe... mumble mumble...

But, damn.  If you need to sell 20 cars at the "normal" rate (say 10% above Blue Book, just to give a random number) to make $200,000, then you need to sell 200 cars at 10% of the normal rate.  The further you drop the price, the more cars you need to sell to make the same net.  Duh!

• Love 4

They had 20 cars bought with the fake cash. They just had to sell them for $10,000 on average. My car was $14,000 15 years ago, and it's a "value package" Honda Civic, i.e., absolutely zero extras. The "'vettes" were worth $50,000 apiece, and there were three of them on top of the 20 cars. I have no issue believing they raised the money. As soon as people started buying, maybe word spread on social media. This one small part of the show was easy for me to handwave.

However, it would be mighty suspicious that they were letting go of cars that cheaply, and that's what should have pinged the radar of the FBI agent, not what sound like the wild accusations of a random woman (Mary Pat).

• Love 3
(edited)

Okay, Beth is smart -- but she keeps making a series of bad decisions. It's at least partly a power trip thing, right? I get that she doesn't want to be used by Rio, but the last time she tried to screw him over, Dean was nearly murdered.

Speaking of Dean; not the time to get ideas, Dean!

However I agree with Beth that a clean house can be a turn-on!

So I guess outside of the Girls, I like Annie the best with her daughter; because her story this week I actually didn't fast forward through. It was an interesting twist that speaking with Kenny(?) is what got her to step up as a parent.

My poor Ruby! Aaaahhh! I can't see how she'll be able to get out of this unscathed AND keep her friends. I just hope FBI Guy keeps his promise about keeping her and her family out of it.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 6
(edited)

How dare they leave that house in a mess like that?!  My. Gawd.  I was so damn angry for Beth.  Like.  Seriously?!  Is this some reverse Gloria Steinem/Betty Friedan bullshit?!  Dean’s defensive “it’s hard!”, and Beth’s “Duh.  Douche.” face was great.  I love that she’s always thinking though to figure out what Rio hid in the cars (pills.  boring pills.)  

The girls sorting the pills cracked me up.  That they sorted them into crafting/scrapbook/jewelry organizers from Michael’s made me howl.   ”I am on the board of DARE!”

Beth’s jealousy bleeding into possibly making poor decisions is really something she needs to think about.  I appreciate her want of getting a cut of the pills (as revenge for her jealously?), but damn girl, Rio is still dangerous.  You’re playing a little too fast and loose. I appreciated her negotiation with Rio (in her office…nice power play), and am shocked she didn’t take his “on that desk” bait.  Clearly, she held onto it, though. Beth wanting to jump on Dean for that clean house and no Rio made me very uncomfortable; if he didn’t know before, he knows now.   All of this projection from Beth to Dean. 

Annie doesn’t take much responsibility for her actions, does she?  She told Sadie something she probably shouldn’t in the worst possible timing.  And now, she is trying to buy her back.  Annie has painted herself in a corner where she has to be the adult and not share everything with Sadie, but Sadie doesn’t trust her. I do appreciate her parenting Sadie, since we don’t really see her do that very often.

Turner at the dinner table makes me so damn nervous, and he sees the awesomeness of Ruby and Stan’s relationship, so him turning the screws on Ruby via Stan broke my heart.  The fact that it worked for her to turn on Beth broke my heart too.  If I’m her, I don’t know if I could have made a different choice. 

I hate myself, but I couldn’t stop looking at Rio’s cheekbones.  I feel shame.  But, good gawd, have mercy Our Goddess of Cheekbones That Could Cut Glass (and pierce my soul).  I am truly unworthy.  

Spoiler

That preview for next week, though. Oh my God!!! Beth!  Woman!  You aren't by yourself, you have to worry about your kids with these criminals.  Talk shit and act tough to the wrong person and BOOM, daughter missing.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

The girls sorting the pills cracked me up.  That they sorted them into crafting/scrapbook/jewelry organizers from Michael’s made me howl.   ”I am on the board of DARE!”

That was a fun scene, but it made no sense that all the different pills would be unlabeled and mixed together.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

How they leave that house in a mess like that?!  My. Gawd.  I was so damn angry for Beth.  Like.  Seriously?!  Is this some reverse Gloria Steinem/Betty Friedan bullshit?!  Dean’s defensive “it’s hard!”, and Beth’s “Duh.  Douche.” face was great.  I love that she’s always thinking though to figure out what Rio hid in the cars (pills.  boring pills.)  

Dean was acting like a TV dad. Dads in sitcoms and commercials are incompetent morons when they have to stay home and take care of the kids. It usually devolves into complete chaos until the kids take pity on him, fall in line, and help him clean up the mess before mom comes home.

58 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Turner at the dinner table makes me so damn nervous, and he sees the awesomeness of Ruby and Stan’s relationship, so him turning the screws on Ruby via Stan broke my heart.  The fact that it worked for her to turn on Beth broke my heart too.  If I’m her, I don’t know if I could have made a different choice. 

I don't know why he has such a hard-on for Beth. He doesn't have nearly enough information to conclude that Beth should be the ultimate target of his investigation. Also having a laser focus on one suspect over others is a quick way to miss huge parts of a criminal conspiracy. Why focus on Beth when she has no clue who is actually producing the counterfeit money? Why focus on Beth when she has no clue who Rio has paid off in order to get his drugs smuggled into the US? Why focus on Beth when the only death Turner knows about is his own sketchy witness? And I don't know Turner would decide to take Mary Pat's word when she is at best, an unindicted co-conspirator.

Although it kind of screwed up the second season, I'll always appreciate how the Federal Burro of Investigation* in the show Imposters always knew who the main target was. The FBI was willing to protect, flip, or target the protagonists if it got them closer to their main target. For the most part, the FBI never sat back and blindly believed the protagonists who got drawn into this world of criminality. Turner should be trying to get to Ruby to get to Beth to flip Beth to get to Rio and his higher up partners.

*It's an Imposters joke because one of the characters had the hardest time saying bureau.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Trini said:

My poor Ruby! Aaaahhh! I can't see how she'll be able to get out of this unscathed AND keep her friends. I just hope FBI Guy keeps his promise about keeping her and her family out it.

I feel completely blindsided by this development. I know they teased it at the beginning of the season, but it seemed resolved when Stan got on board. When Mary Pat sold out Stan last week, I thought it would go the way of most of the other storylines that put heat on them--it would get rough for while, and then they'd find a way out. I have a hard time seeing how this gets resolved in a way that maintains the friendships and chemistry between the women.

15 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know why he has such a hard-on for Beth. He doesn't have nearly enough information to conclude that Beth should be the ultimate target of his investigation.

I'm assuming he wants Beth because he thinks she's his path to getting Rio, so she's not the ultimate target, but she's the one he knows Ruby has access to. I'm not sure how much he knows about how the "business" works structurally, but it's possible that he's aware of the fact that Beth is the one who negotiates with Rio, while Annie and Ruby have very little direct contact with him, and never without Beth present.

1 hour ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Beth’s jealousy bleeding into possibly making poor decisions is really something she needs to think about.  I appreciate her want of getting a cut of the pills (as revenge for her jealously?), but damn girl, Rio is still dangerous.  You’re playing a little too fast and loose.

I'm honestly unsure whether Beth screwing Rio over was revenge or a bid for his affections, but I'm leaning towards it being the latter with her letting Ruby and Annie think it was the former. Nearly every time she has stood up to him or challenged him, his positive opinion of her has increased rather than decreased, so from her perspective, maybe she was thinking, "I didn't get his attention in the first place by cowering and obeying his every demand." If that was her aim, I guess she was right, considering that he still wanted to bang her on the desk after their negotiation. With different characters, I would think that "You'd look so much better on top of it" line was a way of diminishing her accomplishment and her power, but with those two, I think it was exactly what she wanted and he knew it. 

I was also very intrigued by their scene at Beth's house, because he started out being the one in control with a gun in her face, but by the end of it, I think he was the most vulnerable we've ever seen him. There was a huge power shift in that scene, and it was very well-played by both actors.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

How dare they leave that house in a mess like that?!  My. Gawd.  I was so damn angry for Beth.  Like.  Seriously?!  Is this some reverse Gloria Steinem/Betty Friedan bullshit?!  Dean’s defensive “it’s hard!”, and Beth’s “Duh.  Douche.” face was great.  I love that she’s always thinking though to figure out what Rio hid in the cars (pills.  boring pills.)

And that was supposed to be from just one day? It looked more like at least a week worth of mess. Or maybe that's because I live alone and have no idea what kind of mess a family with four kids can make.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

That they sorted them into crafting/scrapbook/jewelry organizers from Michael’s made me howl.  

You know, someone should compare prices between those and the actual pill organizers that have the days of the week on them. I bet the latter are marked up but they're the same thing.

Ruby's son tearing through the house with his cape on and asking "Tickets, PLEASE!" was so cute. He & the little girl who plays Annie on This is Us might be the cutest kids on TV. (Ruby should start a side hustle braiding hair.) Stan has natural chemistry with the kids - that "Disneyland?" "My bad, poor choice of words" exchange was perfect.

I don't blame Ruby for flipping. I thought she should have gotten out when one or the other sister said "Well, she's family!" about the other. Two against one. And Beth stays getting deeper in shit and not talking to them about it.

Glad to see Annie act like a parent and not a friend. (It was Suze Orman, not Julia Ormond.)

• Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, paulvdb said:

And that was supposed to be from just one day? It looked more like at least a week worth of mess. Or maybe that's because I live alone and have no idea what kind of mess a family with four kids can make.

My sister has two young kids and when one of them is looking for a toy they have a tendency to dump the entire box on the floor.  My sister has always been a been a neat freak so it was a adjustment to know what to clean up right now and what to keep there.  My Sisters husband works long hours but when he is home he likes to play with the kids so he does help clean up.  But there are still men who think of housework as “women’s work”.  I have been in homes where men are sitting in front of the tv while the wife is trying to discipline the children, cook dinner and clean the house.  They just raise the volume of the tv.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Boo! on perpetuating the myth of men being unable to run a household. And Boo! on Beth cleaning up after the family instead of simply leaving it a mess for him to sort out the next day. How's a fella (or child) gonna learn if you continue to do everything for him (them). This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine in real life, for many women I know still continue to martyr themselves in a sort of passive aggressive way. Just say "NO!"

But of course that is the least of the ridiculousness in a sea of silly, illogical, this could only happen on TV, string of events. This show once held so much promise and while I still like it, I don't love it like I wish I could.

• Love 8

Yeah, them boys do be putting stuff in lockers all over town. You best be keeping your locker closed.

Heh, Beth having to find out she was just Rio's side locker.

Will Ruby ultimately sell out her best friend? I'm thinking no.

I'm guessing Agent Turner isn't going to survive the season. Maybe death by poisoned lasagna. I'm worried though that his son has been brought into it--if that really was his son.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BonnieD said:

Boo! on perpetuating the myth of men being unable to run a household.

To be fair to the show, I don't think the show was perpetuating the myth about men in general. But Dean is the kind of man who always let his wife do all of the household work. So it was all new to him. And he did a much better job the next day when the house looked clean when Beth came home.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

You'd be amazed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

To be fair to the show, I don't think the show was perpetuating the myth about men in general. But Dean is the kind of man who always let his wife do all of the household work. So it was all new to him. And he did a much better job the next day when the house looked clean when Beth came home.

Dean was the type of husband that left dealing with the house and kids up to Beth because she did not "work" and he did.  Dean learned real quick that taking care of a home and 4 children is WORKING and it totally kicked his ass.

A few years ago, I took care of my 2 and 3 year old niece and nephew for two weeks.  I always babysat for them and I thought it would not be a big deal....WRONG.  The first three days were brutal.  My house was never so disorganized and I was never so tired.  Once I got into the routine, it got so much easier and I had so much fun but it was hard work.   Stay at home parents are on duty 24/7 with no pay, yet many people (men) feel they do not have a real job.

• Love 14

I think Dean figured out Beth had sex with Rio when she was all about the 'crazy sex" in the kitchen & she kept saying "Just do it", and he saw a side of Beth he had never seen before.  So, then I assume that's when he got the idea to talk to his son's Kraw Magraw(sp?) teacher from the Mossad about 'getting rid of somebody" and the guy just laughed at him, but I have the feeling Dean is going to be looking into a way to get rid of Rio permanently.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Cloud 9 makes an appearance again :)(Love NBC's inside joke).  And Annie's eyebrows were SO distracting!  The eyebrows looked like they had been drawn on with thick black crayons!

I wanted to wax in between them, just a little.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised that Ruby caved. She loves her husband, and she's the reason he's in this mess. So is Beth, who keeps going back for more, meaning that Ruby and Annie are dragged back into it, too. I like seeing Beth do well, as a woman, but I don't like her methods. What did she expect was going to happen, by continually getting involved with a criminal? He also has a son, she shouldn't be surprised that he's in a relationship (that was the actor's real wife in that scene). He's a cheating douche, just like her husband, only Rio is a killer, too. 

I did like the fact that the pills were regular medicine of different kinds, and their sorting them in a crafting box. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Anela said:

He also has a son, she shouldn't be surprised that he's in a relationship (that was the actor's real wife in that scene). He's a cheating douche, just like her husband, only Rio is a killer, too.

I thought we would actually find out who that woman is in this episode, but since we didn't, I'm reserving judgment. He's clearly involved with her, but we don't know how long it's been happening or how committed they are. If he did wrong anyone, it was definitely her, not Beth, who is actually married.

Not saying I don't think Rio has never been the type to see multiple girls at once--a guy that pretty with that much game, there's no doubt in my mind, lol.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

I thought we would actually find out who that woman is in this episode, but since we didn't, I'm reserving judgment. He's clearly involved with her, but we don't know how long it's been happening or how committed they are. If he did wrong anyone, it was definitely her, not Beth, who is actually married.

Not saying I don't think Rio has never been the type to see multiple girls at once--a guy that pretty with that much game, there's no doubt in my mind, lol.

I was saying that he was cheating on the other woman. 🙂 Although we don't know their relationship exactly. 

Just now, Anela said:

I was saying that he was cheating on the other woman. 🙂 Although we don't know their relationship exactly. 

I figured that was what you meant, and I thought I included that in my comment, but I must have deleted it when I took a paragraph out! I have seen so many people elsewhere indicate that he cheated on Beth with that woman, though, which makes no sense at all, regardless of when he started seeing her.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

And I mean, Rio's moral code is ... questionable. If he's not the monogamous type, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 1

Dean having the house in such disarray was pure TV contrivance/trope.  Of course, he can't do what Beth did.  He's incompetent!!  More reason to hate Dean.  Although, he did turn it around pretty quick.  Looks like Dean is getting a redemption arc.  Not sure how he is dealing with his wife STILL interacting with the guy that beat him up and almost killed him.

FBI guy is starting to make the same mistake as FBI guy from Ozark (for anyone that watches that show) and making it personal.  Once he goes outside the law to get Beth, he won't be around much longer.  Why just go after Beth and not all of them?  Ruby is in deep as much as Beth.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I love how people are going to the wall for Dean who spent a whole two days taking care of his children. He's a serial cheater—and blamed it on his wife, ran his business into the ground, and lied about having cancer. But hey, he watched his kids for two days (which is, you know, his responsibility) so nominate him for sainthood!

And he's still blaming her. "I was lonely." So lonely that he screwed *four* women? 

• Love 13

I can't wait to watch's Dean attempt to have Rio killed go completely off the rails.

Fingers crossed for this whole "Ruby rats out Beth" plot ends with Ruby finding a way to string Agent Turner along, put him off the scent, and maintain her friendship with Beth while also keeping herself and Stan out of prison. Let me DREAM.

I liked seeing Annie be a real disciplinarian with Sadie. Yes, she fucked up, but she's still the parent and Sadie is still the child. I think her trying to be Sadie's friend fit well with a woman who had her kid in high school, but it's good that she realized that she is a mom and Sadie will thank her for this later.

20 hours ago, Trini said:

So I guess outside of the Girls, I like Annie the best with her daughter; because her story this week I actually didn't fast forward through. It was an interesting twist that speaking with Kenny(?) is what got her to step up as a parent.

I think the drug dealer kid's name is Darin/Darren. Kenny is one of Beth's kids.

18 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Dean was acting like a TV dad. Dads in sitcoms and commercials are incompetent morons when they have to stay home and take care of the kids. It usually devolves into complete chaos until the kids take pity on him, fall in line, and help him clean up the mess before mom comes home.

I will say that I think this show, despite its obvious "I am woman, hear me roar" bent is not completely unfair to men in this regard. Rio has got his shit on lock and appears to be a pretty good dad to his son from what we've seen. Stan is shown to participate in the running of the house and taking care of the children alongside Ruby. Even Annie's ex, for his flaws, appears to love Sadie and at one point wanted full custody of her. It is Dean who is incompetent at everything--not just "women's work" but his own work that was supposed to singlehandedly support his family. And God love him, but casting Matthew Lillard in this kind of role does not make the plot point a hard sell.

10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm guessing Agent Turner isn't going to survive the season. Maybe death by poisoned lasagna. I'm worried though that his son has been brought into it--if that really was his son.

That wasn't his son, it was his boyfriend.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I liked seeing Annie be a real disciplinarian with Sadie. Yes, she fucked up, but she's still the parent and Sadie is still the child. I think her trying to be Sadie's friend fit well with a woman who had her kid in high school, but it's good that she realized that she is a mom and Sadie will thank her for this later.

It annoyed me that Sadie kept insisting Annie tell her where she got the money in a bossy tone like she (Sadie) was the parent. When Annie finally started talking like the parent instead of the buddy, I thought for sure she'd say "...and where the money came from is none of your business."  But no.

Anyone else wondering if Dean got someone to help him clean up the house the second day? It wasn't at all realistic that he'd go from completely incompetent one day to having everything totally under control the next. Also wondering just how long it will take Beth to kick his useless lying cheating butt to the curb, kids or no kids.

• Love 2

Being a parent is rough.  And going from work to full time home is also rough.  I know women, and men, who thought it’d be easy - clean house and full dinner every night!  

But that’s not how it works.  Beth and Mathew Lillard’s character have FOUR kids. Once they outnumber you it’s even mor rough.  That whatever ML’s character was able to figure out the home stuff in only a day  or  two is amazing.

Sadie trampling through the grass instead of walking on the sidewalk fills me with rage. Get off my lawn!  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

It annoyed me that Sadie kept insisting Annie tell her where she got the money in a bossy tone like she (Sadie) was the parent.

I kind of don't blame Sadie for wanting to know, since there have been financial shenanigans in the past (the Corvette, or whatever car Annie stupidly bought when they got their first big influx of cash). And Sadie is a teenager so bossy tones are pretty much status quo.

There's a basic level of trust and respect between those two that Annie has really damaged, so Sadie is entitled to some leeway, IMO.

10 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Anyone else wondering if Dean got someone to help him clean up the house the second day? It wasn't at all realistic that he'd go from completely incompetent one day to having everything totally under control the next

I don't think the filthy house the first day was realistic, so I'm okay with some handwaving that Dean has realized a) being a parent is WORK, and extremely challenging work at that, b) he's been an asshole about that since the kids were born, and c) clean up as you go!

• Love 5

That wasn't his son, it was his boyfriend.

Geez, I completely missed that part of the scene where Stan mentioned that to Ruby. Probably because I was still laughing about the Ruby's boys & lockers rant. 🙂

• Love 1
(edited)

Annie's expression when their drug dealer was going on about how how his parents were totally cool with his dealing on the side was hilarious. Like she was looking at the ghost of questionable parenting choices yet to come.  

I can imagine that Dean assumed that running the house was super easy, and that he was the one that "worked" while Beth just hung out at the house playing with the kids. It is a WHOLE lot more than that! His whole "I was lonely" excuse is already getting old. I mean, if he and Beth hadn't had sex or been close in that long, talk to her about it! See a marriage counselor! Dont go off and start boning a bunch of randos!

I hope that Ruby can find some way around turning on Beth and Annie, but I am not sure where she goes from here. Poor Ruby, its always something. "I am on the board of DARE!"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

Guys! I am so scared for Ruby! I think she's going to turn informant. OMG. 

I'm really surprised that Agent Turner would involve his boyfriend into his weird infiltration attempts. I feel like that is super unprofessional and bound to bite him in the ass. 

What does Rio have to do to convince Beth he's not to be trifled with? Kill one of her kids? She is playing with fire and as much as I think those two are HOT together, I know this can't end well. The appearance of Rio's lawyer earlier in the season makes me think he's got some kind of shell company or corporation going that will keep his hands clean from all the money laundering, but Beth is stupid enough to run all this crap through the family business. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

if he and Beth hadn't had sex or been close in that long, talk to her about it! See a marriage counselor! Dont go off and start boning a bunch of randos!

OR, watch some porn and call upon Mary Fist.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 2:56 PM, BonnieD said:

Annie is a spoiled woman-child who refuses to grow up. Reminds me of Lorelei (sp?) Gilmore. The "aren't I cute" vibe of the perennial immature woman.
She chose to drop that bomb before school without caring what a horrible way it was to deliver it. She knew her daughter wouldn't have time to react so it was like a drive by shooting. Plus anyone who tickles and teases her teen daughter awake in the morning is just weird as hell. If they were trying to show her as fondly loving, they failed.

ETA. I love Mae Whitman so its nothing against her acting. It's the way the character is written.

Funnily enough, Mae Whitman played Lauren Graham's daughter in Parenthood so she must've taken lessons.  Although I actually liked Lorelei and didn't have the same issues as other viewers.  Annie's character definitely is stuck in arrested development, though.  You'd think she would've grown up quick having to raise a daughter on her (essentially) own, but obviously everyone has always bailed her out so she just never learned to take care of herself. 

I am pretty dismayed by the Ruby situation.  I don't want her turning on the other girls.  I thought it was kind of funny that Stan thought they got away with it, though.  He was so relieved and buoyant that he wanted to do a family outing.  I don't mind the actor that plays Agent Turner (Mike from Las Vegas!) but I really hate the character.  He just comes across as smarmy to me.  I bet we'll find out he is blackmailable, or something. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Glory said:

Guys! I am so scared for Ruby! I think she's going to turn informant. OMG. 

I'm really surprised that Agent Turner would involve his boyfriend into his weird infiltration attempts. I feel like that is super unprofessional and bound to bite him in the ass. 

What does Rio have to do to convince Beth he's not to be trifled with? Kill one of her kids? She is playing with fire and as much as I think those two are HOT together, I know this can't end well. The appearance of Rio's lawyer earlier in the season makes me think he's got some kind of shell company or corporation going that will keep his hands clean from all the money laundering, but Beth is stupid enough to run all this crap through the family business. 

I think that Beth, just transformed from a good girl and clean record that he could use to middle management in Rio's organization. Especially with Agent Turner working to get her. 

I am pretty dismayed by the Ruby situation.  I don't want her turning on the other girls.  I thought it was kind of funny that Stan thought they got away with it, though.  He was so relieved and buoyant that he wanted to do a family outing.  I don't mind the actor that plays Agent Turner (Mike from Las Vegas!) but I really hate the character.  He just comes across as smarmy to me.  I bet we'll find out he is blackmailable, or something. 

Yeah I'm not happy with how easily Ruby folded under pressure from Turner. I get that she's worried what this will do to Stan's career but she knows Turner doesn't really have anything on her. She'd be a terrible poker player. When she walked in and found him there at her dining table she should have abruptly told him she wasn't expecting company and they would have to excuse her. It isn't really reasonable to expect strangers to sit and have dinner with you when they drop by uninvited.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah I'm not happy with how easily Ruby folded under pressure from Turner. I get that she's worried what this will do to Stan's career but she knows Turner doesn't really have anything on her. She'd be a terrible poker player. When she walked in and found him there at her dining table she should have abruptly told him she wasn't expecting company and they would have to excuse her. It isn't really reasonable to expect strangers to sit and have dinner with you when they drop by uninvited.

I just watched this episode on demand and something just randomly popped into my head. When Ruby was sitting in the FBI agent's office, he didn't specifically say he wanted Beth. He said he wanted "her." Suppose he's after Mary Pat? She's lied to him again and again and knew a lot of details about how Boomer got chopped up -- maybe our girls will come up with a way to manipulate it all toward Mary Pat. . . 

I'm sure Agent Turner was talking about Beth but I did find it interesting that they made the intentional choice for him to say "I want HER" instead of "I want Beth." . . . 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I just watched this episode on demand and something just randomly popped into my head. When Ruby was sitting in the FBI agent's office, he didn't specifically say he wanted Beth. He said he wanted "her." Suppose he's after Mary Pat? She's lied to him again and again and knew a lot of details about how Boomer got chopped up -- maybe our girls will come up with a way to manipulate it all toward Mary Pat. . . 

I'm sure Agent Turner was talking about Beth but I did find it interesting that they made the intentional choice for him to say "I want HER" instead of "I want Beth." . . . 

It wouldn't matter, she knows that she is guilty. And if she is really thinking about regular almost spouse murdering her fiance is really not a federal crime. Running counterfeit and now  her husband being a bent cop would get FBI attention 

Edited by Raja
(edited)

Except he's been harassing Beth from the start, and the minute Mary Pat told him "one of them is married to a cop" he made a beeline for Stan and Ruby. He's clearly still after Beth. I think the most likely outcome is that he ends up dead, or at the very least, transferred off the case.

Edited by iMonrey
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can imagine that Dean assumed that running the house was super easy, and that he was the one that "worked" while Beth just hung out at the house playing with the kids. It is a WHOLE lot more than that! His whole "I was lonely" excuse is already getting old. I mean, if he and Beth hadn't had sex or been close in that long, talk to her about it! See a marriage counselor! Dont go off and start boning a bunch of randos!

Do we know if they attempted to do get counseling?  Did Dean approach Beth and she blew him off?  We don't know.  Dean is being cast as the villain and we're supposed to hate him, but I think it's deeper than that.  So, is it right that Beth boned Rio?  Is it right that through her associating with Rio that Dean was beaten up and almost killed?  Is it right that Beth is still continuing to be a criminal?  If one of Dean's mistresses had gone all "Fatal Attraction" on Beth, then Dean would would carry that weight too.  At this point, Beth appears to be able to turn things around without Rio.  That could have been the fix to their marriage problems.  Dean a house husband, Beth running the dealership, and no crime needed.  Of course, that would be too easy and there wouldn't be a show. 

3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I don't mind the actor that plays Agent Turner (Mike from Las Vegas!) but I really hate the character.  He just comes across as smarmy to me.  I bet we'll find out he is blackmailable, or something. 

40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think the most likely outcome is that he ends up dead, or at the very least, transferred off the case.

I don't want him dead, and I don't think they need to kill him; but I do think that either a) his case against the Girls will fall apart somehow, or b) all the crimes will get pinned on someone else. (Assuming that TPTB let them get away with everything; maybe they won't ...)