Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, scowl said:

I would hope nearly any lawyer could defend a client who has no admissible evidence against them. In fact I don't understand how this case could even go to trial. 

Right now it can’t.  But the FBI guys are still gathering evidence and that is why you want a highly paid attorney who can show billable hours.  His job is to make sure the cops keep you up to date with new evidence so you don’t find out about it the day they give you a life sentence.   So a good lawyer is preferable especially when you are actually guilty.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Right now it can’t.  But the FBI guys are still gathering evidence and that is why you want a highly paid attorney who can show billable hours.  His job is to make sure the cops keep you up to date with new evidence so you don’t find out about it the day they give you a life sentence.   So a good lawyer is preferable especially when you are actually guilty.

Which why Rio has one one retainer that he plays tennis with occasionally. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

You believe that only highly paid attorneys will keep their client informed of new evidence? 

17 minutes ago, scowl said:

You believe that only highly paid attorneys will keep their client informed of new evidence? 

I believe you get what you pay for in this world.  But that is only my personal belief that I have seen played out a couple of times.   Lawyers are just one of those things you don’t skimp on.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

I do think Turner is an asshole, but I feel like his assessment of Beth is based on his own experiences with her rather than Mary Pat's word.

I think the first part of his assessment was based on his experience with Beth, but he used as a capper for why they needed to take Beth down "she killed someone." That's straight from Mary Pat.

The understanding of the law and police investigations is abysmal on this show. I mean Turner's case is so weak that your average person who's watched Law & Order would realize that the case is a mess. A half decent attorney could get the charges dropped. You pay for the expensive attorney to ruin Turner's career and get him fired, which is deserved because he's terrible at his job. And you use the expensive attorney and his firm's investigators with the info that you provide, to pin everything on Boomer, Mary Pat, and maybe Turner.

Like I don't know how Turner is just learning that the girls are involved in counterfeiting. How did he get all of these resources including an additional agent okayed when he thought it was a super dumb money laundering and robbery crew? Furthermore who focuses on the money laundering while not seemingly interested in the larger criminal enterprise that is generating this illegal income. The FBI should have figured out the counterfeiting far earlier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I believe you get what you pay for in this world.  But that is only my personal belief that I have seen played out a couple of times.   Lawyers are just one of those things you don’t skimp on.   

I have a ton of friends who are attorneys and I can assure you that you can find a good attorney at any price level. But of course this is television and on television only expensive attorneys can keep guilty clients from going to jail. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Is there any possibility Boomer is still alive?

We all know Mary Pat can lie like Beth. We saw him get hit by the car, and then a different body is in the meat locker.

(The editor basically blinked and erased the post that I was about 10 seconds away from finishing, so hopefully I can recreate my mental process!) This possibility has crossed my mind, but I've never really stopped to think it through. We never saw a confirm-able body, though, so Boomer not being dead would certainly be a twist!

I'm trying to figure out how Rio fits into all of this and how much he could be aware of. He knew what Boomer looked like, so if the body from the meat locker was put there by him and is what he was hacking pieces of off, then he would know that it wasn't Boomer (unless he had a crony hacking the bits off, which is a believable possibility). It seemed more likely to me that the body in the meat locker was put there by Mary Pat and Rio still has Boomer, but I did wonder how someone like Mary Pat would know about the local grocery store's sketchy unadvertised meat-storing service.

If there's only one body that's gone from Mary Pat's home freezer to the dumpster to the landfill to Rio to the meat locker, then Rio has to know Boomer probably isn't dead. It would also explain Rio saying he wanted to hold onto the body and see how things play out, rather than give it to Beth or tell her where he dumped it and risk her moving it and finding out that it's not Boomer. The only way I can see Rio being okay with the idea of Boomer not being dead is if Boomer went to him and made some kind of deal. I guess this could mean that Rio, Boomer, and Mary Pat are all in it together with some kind of plan to screw Beth and pin stuff on her?

Thoughts? Anyone have a better theory?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, scowl said:

Stan’s assigned public defender had recommended he plead guilty.  So it does seem that in the Good Girls universe, Stan is better off being defended by someone with adequate time and ample resources, to actually provide him with the strong defense he needs, given the circumstances.  

[Disclaimer-My spouse and best friend are 2 of the most kick butt non-profit/public interest lawyers.  They both could run legal circles around my corporate shilling, in-house counsel self any day, so no shade or disrespect to underpaid attorneys, I promise! 😉]

• Love 2
On 5/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, LaMatadita said:

Also, this means that Rio still has Boomer, and Beth now has Mary Pat's first husband buried under her decorative kale, yes?

At the moment I don't think there's any reason to believe that the body in Beth's garden is Mary Pat's first husband (though I didn't see next week's preview, so it's possible they hint at that there). From what I can remember he died suddenly, like a heart attack or stroke or something. He also left her with four screaming demon children and no money, which is why she blackmailed the girls and got involved with their shenanigans in the first place. So I can't see how she would have benefitted from killing him.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:56 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

You know what was interesting...I don’t know if I’m the only one thinking this, but...Beth seem to become increasingly more turned on by Rio when she saw how great of a father he is and how clean/meticulous his apartment was

Beth has never been turned on by anything more than she was by those neatly folded sweaters. Believe it.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:59 PM, sempervivum said:
  • Why would the store butcher staff not realize there are random dead non-food corpses in their storage room-I'm sure they do inventory, like any retail business?

Hunters storing their game in the grocery store's freezer appears to be a side hustle Boomer was running on the DL. The security guard did say the butchers would slice your haul for you if you wanted, but it's doubtful they keep track of the stuff dropped off there. There were a lot of coolers in there--I'm assuming they just let Boomer do his thing and didn't bother with it unless somebody asked for their meat cut.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, LaMatadita said:

There's been fan speculation that Mary Pat killed her first husband since before she killed Boomer, and then when her kid said something about putting daddy in the freezer a few episodes ago, all that speculation started up again. Between that and the bodies being wrapped the same, that's where my head went.

Reveal spoiler

There's also the fact that the girls track down Mary Pat in the trailer for next week, and the body at the end of this episode is the only hint as to why they might do that.

The above only refers to next week's promo, so if you've seen that, it's not spoilery.

I think we can assume the little boy was talking about Boomer, as he had previously requested that Mary Pat's kids start calling him "Daddy" when they got engaged.

17 hours ago, Trini said:

Also, they showed Beth and Annie washing their share of the cash, but not Ruby.

They showed Ruby washing it when she paid for an ice cream with a $100 bill to get approximately $99 in clean change.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I think we can assume the little boy was talking about Boomer, as he had previously requested that Mary Pat's kids start calling him "Daddy" when they got engaged.

That's definitely what we were supposed to think at the time, but if Boomer isn't actually dead...  Also, all we and the ladies know is what Mary Pat told them happened to her husband, and they clearly believed her, so they didn't check up on her story.

I just feel a twist coming, and I don't think I'm gonna like it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

They showed Ruby washing it when she paid for an ice cream with a $100 bill to get approximately $99 in clean change.

Right, thanks!

Also, LOL!

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Beth has never been turned on by anything more than she was by those neatly folded sweaters. Believe it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

"I just enjoy having sex with him." I mean, damn Beth you really went for it with the honesty. And Dean took it pretty well, all things considered. 

Annie makes a ton of mistakes and does dumb and crappy things a lot, but I do feel sorry for her. Everyone treats her like a screw up, she has awful luck with romance, and now that she had seemingly found a guy who she really liked, and who even connected with her kid, he turns out to be using her to send her to jail. I mean, she had sex with that guy! Sadie was texting him! Imagine how Sadie will feel when her cool new step dad figure reveals that their whole relationship was based on sending her mom and aunts to jail? She did at least do the smart thing this week, tailing the guy and realizing what was going on, and then telling Ruby and Beth right away. Feeding him false information might be the best card they can play right now. 

"Do not bring Train into this!"

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 2:39 AM, Trini said:

However, I've got to nitpick his apartment. It was just too perfect -- in a way that says less about Rio, and more about the set designers/dressers. It looked more like furniture showroom to me; it didn't look lived in.

I thought that he could have a maid, who cleans up, and keeps things organized. I've heard of people sending their clothes out to be washed, and they're delivered all clean and folded. He seems like he can afford that, and organized (like Beth), which you would have to be, to run a successful business, criminal or not. 

I think Beth liked the folded clothes, but also the feeling of being in his quarters, being close to him in another way. She learned his real name, and was in his *home*. I like how particular he was about asking her to leave, when he's broken into her home numerous times, been around her kids, shot her husband...

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Anela said:

I like how particular he was about asking her to leave, when he's broken into her home numerous times, been around her kids, shot her husband...

What would the alternative would have been, though? Realistically, I don't know what other option he had. It's not like he was going to offer her a drink or say, "Now please continue snooping. Have you seen the bathroom?" Just saying, lol.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

What would the alternative would have been, though? Realistically, I don't know what other option he had. It's not like he was going to offer her a drink or say, "Now please continue snooping. Have you seen the bathroom?" Just saying, lol.

Hypocrisy bugs. 😉 That's all. She should have known that he wouldn't keep anything there, that would incriminate him, though. Especially if he is a good father. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

Actually, I think offering her a drink (and then finding out what she was after), would be in character!

But agreed about the hypocrisy; I noted that too when I watched.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Anela said:

I've heard of people sending their clothes out to be washed

I had a friend who does this because his chore growing up was laundry for his entire family of five. He'd had enough of laundry, so he sends his out. It's common in NYC or other cities where you might not have laundry in your place. My grandfather used to send out his dress shirts.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

"I just enjoy having sex with him." I mean, damn Beth you really went for it with the honesty. And Dean took it pretty well, all things considered. 

Yeah. He knows their marriage is dead, hence the filing. I think part of him was even expecting to hear that, given the way he framed his questions about Rio - "Does he listen to you in a way that I don't?" Which, yes, but also, that question implies that he knows there's a certain level of intimacy between them, physical or not.

(I'm still irked that Beth confronting Dean about faking cancer was left on the cutting room floor.)

• Love 9

[So I guess most of us don't watch this live?]

Wow, so Mary pat is really some piece of work, huh? She has to go down for something at some point, right?

Not really invested in Beth and Dean's relationship, but I'm wondering where they take them from here. Besides Beth's "Book Club" troubles, they're both jobless now with 4 kids to support in the midst of a divorce. I'm thinking that Dean might willingly go into some shady business with Beth.

Noah loves Annie? Sounds fake.

With the counterfeit money scheme found out, it looks like they all might be screwed.

Killing off boomer was a great decision; why is he back again? WHYYyy

Way too little Rio. In this episode AND the season.

• Love 9
(edited)

This was definitely not a fun episode. I still managed to laugh a couple of times, but shit is definitely getting real for everyone.

It's so sad that I can't even be happy for Annie and Noah because they're so screwed. Although I do wonder if Noah will be the one who comes up with a plan to get them out of it.

The fact that Rio could barely meet Beth's eyes makes me think he's full of it, but we shall see. I'm not ready to hate him just yet.

I am fully expecting Dean to get in on the crime action next season, but if that means Beth is going to reconcile with him, thus creating an actual love triangle with Beth, Dean, and Rio, I will be so annoyed. I've found it pretty refreshing that this show has never really had a love triangle.

Fucking Boomer should have stayed fucking dead. I'm curious whether Rio knew that wasn't Boomer, or if he just never unwrapped the head (ew) and assumed it was him.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 9

I thought the fancy lawyer knew Ruby was paying him in counterfeit money? His snippiness was hypocritical, and really, he was an idiot in the first place to accept fake dough, no matter how safely he thought he could launder it.

And if Stan's case is such a slam-dunk, why aren't he and Ruby pressing the legal aid lawyer to do more than plea bargain? This whole part of the story makes no sense to me. I get they want to put pressure on the women, but they need to do it in a way that's not so forced.

I kind of like that Boomer is still alive—he's such a sleazeball it makes sense, heh—but he needs to pay for his crimes.

• Love 8

Obviously Stan and Ruby should have gone with Rio's lawyer, she probably knows how to launder money that is used as a payment. 

Also what do Annie and Ruby call Rio? All it sounds like to me is Gang Fred. 

I'm confused to why Mary Pat killed her husband. 

I really want Noah to have fallen in love with Annie, because he doesn't seem like he's a good liar and is very much heart on his sleeve like Annie.

Mary Pat didn't kill her husband.  He died while he was playing with the kids outside.  She called 911 but then saw his VA check on the table and realized the checks would stop coming if she reported his death, so she hung up.  Then chopped him up and kept cashing his checks.  She's probably in the most trouble for the theft from the VA.  Our government will forgive almost anything but theft of their money.  Remember Al Capone, LOL.

• Love 24
(edited)
8 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I'm confused to why Mary Pat killed her husband. 

She didn’t. In the flashback he was shown keeling over from a heart attack while playing with their kids. She just chose not to report his death because she wanted to keep cashing his disability checks, hence the freezer situation.

ETA: @jalady beat me to it.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Obviously Stan and Ruby should have gone with Rio's lawyer, she probably knows how to launder money that is used as a payment. 

It's most likely a conflict of interest, since Stan and Ruby could implicate Rio. And if Rio's lawyer is as smart as she should be, she won't touch any money that has even the whiff of laundering.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Thank you. Was that right at the beginning because I did miss the first few minutes?

Yes, it was a flashback in the first couple of minutes. The screen caption said "8 months ago", Mary Pat was doing chores. She looked out the window and saw her husband and kids playing, and her husband, what looked like jokingly, clutching his heart and falling down. Then she moved away from the window and we see the husband not getting up. That night, when the kids come inside for dinner, she asks where daddy is, and one of her sons says he's sleeping on the lawn. She runs outside, screams, then gets back inside and dials 911. Starts talking to the dispatcher, then sees the VA check in her husband's name and ends the call. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5

Wouldn't MaryPat, as the veteran's widow (and with minor kids), still get some kind of payment?

I believe Noah loves Annie, but not sure if the reverse is true.

So Dean doesn't like working for somebody else, and doesn't like following rules, and likes 'the art of the deal' stuff (haggling/screwing customers). Rio can hook him right up with a new career, I bet!

Does Rio possibly know that the body isn't Boomer's? And what has Boomer been doing all this time- seems like he would have used the opportunity for blackmail, at the very least.

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought the fancy lawyer knew Ruby was paying him in counterfeit money? His snippiness was hypocritical, and really, he was an idiot in the first place to accept fake dough, no matter how safely he thought he could launder it.

How would the lawyer know that the money was counterfeit? Ruby and Stan didn't tell him that, did they (maybe I missed this)? Anyway, they seem to be in the most trouble of any of the 'girls'.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, I cannot believe Grandma was such a good liar - having Annie continue doing all sorts of things for her with Boomer in the attic the whole time. Good fakeout with the credit card bill, though, since given the name I thought it was going to be an electric bill for some apartment he was hiding out in, and the Girls would track him down that way.

ETA: Annie better GTFO and FAST or she’ll find herself bound and gagged in that attic.

Edited by CarpeFelis
more to say
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

How would the lawyer know that the money was counterfeit? Ruby and Stan didn't tell him that, did they (maybe I missed this)?

Wasn’t the reason he wanted so much upfront—more than the usual retainer—was because Ruby was paying him with counterfeit money? I got the impression he was going to launder it through his firm, and the extra was his cut.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Wasn’t the reason he wanted so much upfront—more than the usual retainer—was because Ruby was paying him with counterfeit money? I got the impression he was going to launder it through his firm, and the extra was his cut.

He suspected the money was not legally obtained but he didn't know it was counterfeit.   It was suspicious that two people barely getting by could pay so much in cash.

• Love 7

"You've gone full Favreau." Was that a Swingers reference?

Mary Pat was taking his disability benefits, knowing he was dead? I thought they already knew that he was dead, though. Was the story that he'd run off on her?

Boomer still being alive - ugh, but at least they can't have them for murder? Except they buried a body, so that's still not legal. 

I missed them finding out about the lawyer being paid with the fake money. Oof. So they're in trouble no matter what?

Rio says she's just "work-related". I don't know what she expected from him, He's not exactly wooing her with roses. 

I missed Beth being jobless, too? I thought they didn't find the books, but they put them out of business? 

I did laugh when Mary Pat was dragging his body off to that cheesy song. I'm pissed that the rapist is not dead, and sad that his grandmother was in on it.

Our experience with accidentally dialing 911 (mum did that somehow, on a perfectly lovely evening, when nothing was going down), was that they send someone out to make sure that nothing is wrong. We had a cop show up not long after she hung up, and he knocked, and quickly looked around (outside). 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Anela said:

Our experience with accidentally dialing 911 (mum did that somehow, on a perfectly lovely evening, when nothing was going down), was that they send someone out to make sure that nothing is wrong. We had a cop show up not long after she hung up, and he knocked, and quickly looked around (outside). 

I thought that was the case. That even if you accidentally dial 911 they will still send someone out.

I also thought we found out Mary Pat's husband was dead. When she started blackmailing the girls I thought it was specified she was a widow. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I had this exact thought as well. They still send someone just in case. It's these little things that hold the show back. Just too many plot holes and instances where the writers don't seem to do enough research or check each other's work. Surely someone on the writing staff knew this fact? Are we just supposed to assume that she was able to BS well enough to get rid of the cop who showed up?

1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

I also thought we found out Mary Pat's husband was dead. When she started blackmailing the girls I thought it was specified she was a widow.

Mary Pat essentially told them the truth about his death, but left out the part in which she did not report it and chopped him into itty bitty pieces.

1 hour ago, Anela said:

Rio says she's just "work-related". I don't know what she expected from him, He's not exactly wooing her with roses.

I'm not 100% convinced he's being honest, but if that's the route the writers have chosen to head in, I think they will lose a very large portion of their already small viewership going into S3, whether he lives through the season finale or not. There are a lot of people who are waiting for S2 to be released on Netflix, and many of them are still keeping up with the storylines through the official YouTube highlight videos and through social media, so if that relationship goes too far south to make a turnaround, it will also hurt their Netflix numbers, which is what got them a S3 in the first place.

If he's been playing her the whole time and never felt anything, then I think they've also been telling a really boring story and tricking a lot of viewers into thinking it's more interesting than it is. If they want to keep that (rather large) portion of the viewership interested, they need to make sure that he's allowed to be as complicated as she is. They also need to decide how he feels about her and how she feels about him and let the characters exist in that space. I mean, the characters themselves don't necessarily have to be sure, but I think making it clear to the viewers would not be a bad thing.

Edit: I know the show is supposed to be about the 3 women, but they also need to up Rio's screen time going into S3 and let him be a fully-realized character whose PoV we're allowed to see. I think the actor has more than earned it, and if they're going to keep stringing that "Brio" relationship along, then I think it's necessary to maintain viewer investment.

As for Beth, I am honestly not sure if she actually has feelings for Rio, or if she's just so fucked up by what happened with Dean that she needs him to have feelings for her and can't handle it when it seems like he might not. She responded to him trying to end their business relationship in S1 by getting him arrested and responded to seeing him with another woman by stealing all his pills. Even in the last episode, her first question to him was wanting to know if the woman she saw him with was his ex wife. She never wants to make it clear to him or anyone else how she actually feels about him, but damned if she doesn't want him to want her and only her.

Spoiler

Beth pointing Rio's gun at him in the finale, after he told her she's just "work" to him (whether true or not), is pretty in character for Beth IMO.

The above spoiler only refers to the finale promo that aired after the episode, so if you've seen that, it's not spoiling anything.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ugh, Boomer couldn't just stay dead? Hopefully they kill him off for real/for good in the finale. Can't believe his grandma would go through all that to protect him even after finding out that he was stealing from her. She was almost evicted because of him!

There's no bottom of the barrel with good ole Mary Pat, is there?

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Why was Boomer's phone in Jeff's pocket? How did they find the phone without seeing the body?

I think the assumption is that in his rush to get outside and stop Mary Pat from leaving, Boomer left his phone in the house. Mary Pat then put the phone in with Jeff's bits to lend some authenticity if the girls found it. Although it could also have led the Feds directly to a body that was not Boomer's, so maybe she's not as mart as she thinks she is? I guess?

The whole bit with the phone does make it feel like maybe the writers didn't fully think it through. I don't think the girls had any reason to believe that the body wasn't Boomer's, so the phone just brings up unnecessary questions.

Edit: Though it was only 2 episodes later that they had Rio find the body and tell Beth he was going to hold into it and see how things play out, which heavily implies that Rio knew even then that the body was not Boomer's. So maybe not an afterthought so much as just the usual poor planning and plot holes...

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Why was Boomer's phone in Jeff's pocket? How did they find the phone without seeing the body?

This is a good question! Did the writers change their minds about killing off Boomer?

19 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

The fact that Rio could barely meet Beth's eyes makes me think he's full of it, but we shall see. I'm not ready to hate him just yet.

The boy is lying; you don't smash a Corvette for just anybody! But seriously, he has feelings for Beth, but I don't really expect him to admit it like that.

19 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

I am fully expecting Dean to get in on the crime action next season, but if that means Beth is going to reconcile with him, thus creating an actual love triangle with Beth, Dean, and Rio, I will be so annoyed. I've found it pretty refreshing that this show has never really had a love triangle.

Isn't it already a triangle, though, since Beth slept with Rio? We'll see, but I'm not sure the writers are committed Beth/Rio as a serious romantic pairing. But then again, Beth's legally single now....

5 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Edit: I know the show is supposed to be about the 3 women, but they also need to up Rio's screen time going into S3 and let him be a fully-realized character whose PoV we're allowed to see. I think the actor has more than earned it, and if they're going to keep stringing that "Brio" relationship along, then I think it's necessary to maintain viewer investment.

Agreed. The Girls are the leads; but considering how much Rio is a catalyst for the plots, and that Beth/Rio is a thing now, we should seeing more and learning more about him.

(edited)
54 minutes ago, Trini said:

Isn't it already a triangle, though, since Beth slept with Rio? We'll see, but I'm not sure the writers are committed Beth/Rio as a serious romantic pairing. But then again, Beth's legally single now....

She and Dean have never even kissed in 2 seasons, at least not that I recall, so it's never felt like there was much there. She cares for him and thinks he's a good dad, but she doesn't seem to love him romantically anymore, so for me, Dean was just an obligation that was tied to her kids rather than one corner of a triangle. It felt like it was Rio or nothing. (Maybe I should be rooting for the nothing, but damn, that is some chemistry, and I am a shallow creature at times...) I do hope that the writers realize that their attempts to get viewers to like Dean have been unsuccessful--even most people who don't want her with Rio don't want her back with Dean.

I suspect they will have her reject both men romantically/sexually and try to find her own path next season, because part of her problem is that what she seems to want most is to be valued and desired. She didn't get it from Dean, so she looked to Rio, but it doesn't feel like she actually cares about him as a person, she just cares about him, y'know, desiring and valuing her, so I think that's done for the time being. She needs to figure out what she wants out of life and how to get there, and find some real self-esteem and emotional maturity along the way. I don't really buy into the notion that she has to end up alone in order for the show to fit into a feminist narrative--there is nothing wrong with wanting love and companionship--but she's got some growing to do before she's ready. 

54 minutes ago, Trini said:

Agreed. The Girls are the leads; but considering how much Rio is a catalyst for the plots, and that Beth/Rio is a thing now, we should seeing more and learning more about him.

If they're going to turn him back into the clear-cut antagonist that he was in early S1, I definitely think they need to flesh him out in order to keep viewers interested. And to give Manny Montana something to do! If all the heat goes out of Beth's interactions with Rio AND we're not learning anything new about him AND the actor is bored, a lot of viewers will lose interest.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

$10,000 is peanuts as a retainer for a criminal defense case like this one.  That was not more than the usual.  And defense lawyers have to get their money up front, bc the clients aren't going to pay if the are convicted. 

On 5/14/2019 at 4:22 AM, HunterHunted said:

Yeah, but Turner is basing this on information that he got from Mary Pat who actually is a sociopath.

Even if he's getting his information from Mary Pat, he's not wrong. Beth is in deep and she doesn't care about it.  When Ruby got in on the plot, her motive was to save her daughter. Annie was to try to keep custody of her son. Beth and Dean were living a lifestyle they couldn't afford and she didn't realize it. 

I don't understand a lot of the Mary Pat stuff. (Like I understand the logistics but I feel it doesn't make sense from a story view.)  First, she was so desperate for money because her husband died so she got involved with the girls. But her income hadn't changed since her husband died. Then she knew Boomer wasn't dead, but she gave the girls a fake body.  She was so worried about going to jail for murder that she told on them, but there wasn't even a murder so she could have easily avoided that.

9 minutes ago, deaja said:

I don't understand a lot of the Mary Pat stuff. (Like I understand the logistics but I feel it doesn't make sense from a story view.)  First, she was so desperate for money because her husband died so she got involved with the girls. But her income hadn't changed since her husband died. Then she knew Boomer wasn't dead, but she gave the girls a fake body.  She was so worried about going to jail for murder that she told on them, but there wasn't even a murder so she could have easily avoided that.

Right, and almost all of this has happened in a 13 episode season. Which implies they had a plan for Mary Pat's arc. Any good showrunner has to know how the big puzzle pieces fit together when writing the season. Is it possible that Jeff's death was public around the time she started working for the girls? That would make her income stop, would allow her to admit she is a widow, and give her a reason to need a job. 

I have re-watched Season One a lot (I love this show), and I recommend the writing staff does the same. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
Just now, BoogieBurns said:

I have re-watched Season One a lot (I love this show), and I recommend the writing staff does the same. 

Haha... they should. Or at least ask us for a summary.

1 minute ago, BoogieBurns said:

Is it possible that Jeff's death was public around the time she started working for the girls?

Wasn't Boomer at her house when she told her son that he couldn't tell his classmates because Daddy was "helping" them? 

(edited)
25 minutes ago, deaja said:

Wasn't Boomer at her house when she told her son that he couldn't tell his classmates because Daddy was "helping" them?

Right! Yep. I was getting the timelines out of order thinking the kids had ice cream twice.

Also, great wig work on Jeff (heavy sarcasm)

Edited by BoogieBurns
9 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

She and Dean have never even kissed in 2 seasons, at least not that I recall, so it's never felt like there was much there. She cares for him and thinks he's a good dad, but she doesn't seem to love him romantically anymore, so for me, Dean was just an obligation that was tied to her kids rather than one corner of a triangle. It felt like it was Rio or nothing.

Yeah, Dean is a non-factor for Beth romantically, IMO. It seems like their marriage had been dead for a while, and the cheating and the lying about the finances was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm mad that Stan is probably going to prison over a bullshit non-case. I know public defenders are overworked (and in Detroit I'm sure that's doubly so), but I feel like Stan's case is so flimsy that even an overworked PD could get it tossed.

Did the girls threaten to turn Mary Pat in for fraud? Because they've got her dead to rights there. Her husband's death was an accident (although isn't mutilating a corpse also a crime?), but cashing a dead person's disability checks = prison time & fines.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, sempervivum said:

So Dean doesn't like working for somebody else, and doesn't like following rules, and likes 'the art of the deal' stuff (haggling/screwing customers). Rio can hook him right up with a new career, I bet!

So how did Dean lose his job? Did I miss something? Is it because the FBI raided the place?

18 hours ago, Anela said:

This is not always the case. My younger sister called 911 while playing around and when they answered she hung up. They immediately called back and my mom explained what happened. They never sent anyone out to check on anything.

Now that Rio has pretty much kicked Beth to the curb since she's just "a work thing", do yall think she'll still go through with the divorce from Dean, or was she filing for divorce in hopes of being with Rio?

• Love 1