Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Cop-Con / S04.E18: Chasing Amy

• Start Topic

In this combined episode, the precinct head to the Tri-State Police Officers' annual Cop-Con, which is usually the Nine-Nine's excuse for a big annual party, but the squad's fun is threatened this year when Holt asks them to be on their best behavior. Then, Jake and Rosa search for Amy, who suddenly vanished hours before taking the Sergeant Exam.

I loved both of these episodes.  Jake and Amy are the best couple evah.  

Also, I found Jake's ability to think like Amy around the city very adorable.

Laughed out loud (literally) when Rosa did Amy voice.

And I was dying during the angry dancing.

• Love 8

I don't think we've ever learned what 7-Drink Amy is.  The Cop-Con episode had the same feeling as the Beach House episode, where we were introduced to the Different Drink Amys, so it  was very fitting that that joke was brought back in this episode.

I adored Cop-Con as much as I usually love group episodes.  I just really enjoy seeing everybody in a plot together, probably because it just reinforces how strong this ensemble cast is.

Chasing Amy was also amazing. It made my Jake/Amy loving heart really giddy. Seeing how much both of them are committed to their relationship, plus them talking about and us seeing flashbacks from The Bet just put a huge smile on my face. I think my favorite thing from their storyline was Jake saying that he always knew that Amy was going to be his boss. I don't know why that got me so much, but I just thought that that line was really sweet and very fitting for their relationship. Also, Jake and Rosa's impressions of Amy were great.

I'm so happy that Amy is going to become a sergeant. I'm interested especially in how that might impact her storylines with Holt and Terry.

Terry/Holt's storyline was also really fun. I loved Holt calling Kevin and how ridiculous Kevin thought the train stuff was. I wish we got to see more Kevin onscreen, he's always great.

Gina/Boyle's super weird sibling dynamic was also enjoyable.

This was a very  fun hour of television and I can't wait to rewatch these episodes on Hulu tomorrow. Also, I am desperately hoping that Brooklyn 99 gets renewed this week. It would be really depressing if this show didn't get another season. It makes me smile more than anything else on tv.

• Love 6

Those were two strong Holt episodes, one as a central character and one in support. His love for the 99 is heart warming. I wish more senior leaders fit his mould, which commands respect, but gives it back just the same... unless... there's an opportunity to be petty. Boy can that man jump on it. He carries a grudge with the best of them. That phone call to Kevin! The sheer humanity!

Charles versus the Survellience-bot kept paying off, from "New Partner???" to, " Her? Oh, he's replacing Amy, I don't have anything to worry about"

• Love 3
(edited)

Opposite reactions to these two: I disliked the first episode a lot, with the exception of the Scully plot. I liked the second episode a lot, with the exception of Gina being an asshole.

The first one felt too much like all those early episodes where Jake refused to listen to anything Holt said and generally acted like a jackass. While some of the details of what went down were funny (Jake getting shot in the chest by the rocket), Hangover-type stories feel like they've been done to death at this point (especially with the damn photographs), and when they decided to throw a party when Holt specifically requested they not do anything, I just thought they were being jerks. Feh. While it was nice that they went to the thermometer museum with him, I was kind of hoping for some revenge on Evil Andy Daly.

The second episode was much better. I'm glad they aired two so it could wash out the bad taste left by the first.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 3

"Eight Drink Amy is an equestrian... and really bad at it." Even when she doesn't have much to do, Amy is adorable. And I really wanted to see those dance moves "where you move your butt." But the Librarian level shushing was pretty good as well.

Jake recounting all the parties he'd snuck out to, which whittled all the way down to confessing he'd had a ponytail, made me laugh out loud.

I'm generally not in favour of any storylines that treat Hitchcock and Scully like real human beings. I prefer them to just be cartoon characters that end up being the butt of every joke. However, this bit was gold:

"I'm no Hitchcock when it comes to the ladies."

"You don't wanna be."

"Oh, he's fearless. I once saw him ask out a breastfeeding mother."

Krombopulous Michael! Or, Andy Daly, I guess. Holt's hatred of him was brilliant. I love it when the show focuses on Holt's flaws, especially when they make him act like a petulant child. I was actually disappointed that Holt ended up being right about him.

The 'important item has disappeared and now we have to trace our steps to find it' trope is pretty tired. I wasn't wild about the show using that, although the party looked like a great one. The respective hung over acting was good, especially from Stephanie Beatriz.

Not the best episode ever, but not the worst either.

The second one was automatically better, because it was about Amy. I think Melissa Fumero is one of the overlooked actors on this show, because she generally gets a lot of very similar stuff to do, but crazy Amy was a new side of her, and she absolutely nailed it.

I love how supportive Jake is, and how he was completely content with the idea that Amy was going to be his senior. That's something a lot of shows would use as reason for tension between a couple. And I love that he knows her so well, right down to boring things she's talked about, like colour coded folders.

I was really pleased with the little twist of Amy not freaking out over the test (she got 102%), but freaking out over whether her being a sergeant would have an impact on her relationship with Jake. They always manage to find a real thread of warmth with this show, and particularly with this couple.

But I also liked that Rosa was invested in her succeeding as well. It builds nicely on the friendship that seems to have grown between them this season.

We finally meet Kylie too, and she seems to be just the sort of person Amy would be best friends with. But what does Jake mean 'even the Dinobots'? They're amongst the most popular transformers. If he'd said 'even the Headmasters', I'd have been really impressed.

I liked the Terry/Holt storyline too. I'm trying to think, but have we ever seen them at odds like this before? Arguing over whether a model train set should be 100% accurate or fun? I think I know which of those the serious train set collectors would go for. Holt telling the kid to get out after he said trains were lame was hilarious. As I said, I love it when they show his flaws.

• Love 4

Should I have found hung-over Jake so cute? His hair while he was talking to Holt was adorable. I loved them backtracking what had happened the night before, "Why is my shoe wet? The pool!" That was not the reason I thought it was wet.

I got a kick out of Amy and Gina trying to help Scully out with he girl.

• Love 3
(edited)

Both good episodes but I like "Chasing Amy" more. Although Rosa looked hot in both of them(Stephanie Beatriz in a tight black shirt, damn)

Favorite moments from Cop Con:

Like the callback to "(insert number) Drinks Amy"

I saw where Scully's storyline was going from the beginning but we now get a cleat distinction between him and Hitchcock in terms of personality.

Boyle's jealousy of the robot until he found it was a girl.

Terry accidentally shooting Jake in the chest with a firework.

Amy shushing the partygoers. "She's like a librarian!" "A sexy librarian?" "No, just a regular one!"

Hungover Rosa trying to workout alongside Holt.

Great to see Andy Daly, and Holt was right, Jeffrey is evil!

Rosa making Tequila steam using an iron!

Chasing Amy:

Jake imitating Amy was both cute and hilarious. Also Rosa doing the "Amy voice".  "Not now Rosa!"

Loved Amy's friend and her annoyance with Jake because he messes up trivia games.

Laughed out loud at Terry bouncing his pecs.

Gina is better when paired with Boyle because she irritates her so much "Isn't she a great sister? We've also had sex!" "Don't tell everyone you meet that, Idiot!"

The casting of Boyle's relatives was perfect.

Holt: "You left this figurine on my desk."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

VCRT, you've quoted a couple of my favorite lines in these two eps:

Holt: You left this figurine on my desk.
"She's like a librarian!" "A sexy librarian?" "No, just a regular one!"
Rosa: So I can make tequila steam.

But there were so many great lines. These were fun eps.

Terry angry dancing at Holt was fantastic. I also loved his using "funnest" specifically to bug him.

Scully and the woman (whom I always associate with Pushing Daisies) was very cute. Their kissing was... memorable.

I know The Hangover-type retracing plot has been done many times before, but this was great. Jake getting hit in the chest by a firework shot by Terry was funny and explained the pillow case shirt, which Jake had to look at later when Amy said she threw up into a pillow case.

Everything with the trains was fun.

Great to see Sarah Baker as Amy's best (only?) friend.

Boyle's cousins were great. Love the little shot of Gina stuck in bed with a roomful of apnea-suffering Boyles.

• Love 6

The model train story line was fun, although I had to actively ignore the fact that model trains are not a good choice for a playroom where children of various ages may not be closely supervised. My father got me a model train set when I was a year or two old. Of course it was really for himself. A toddler's idea of playing with a train tends to include grabbing it off the track and sometimes throwing it.

• Love 2

The tiny little figurines weren't exactly toddler friendly either.

I cannot believe that Gina would function as a Boyle cousin for even a minute.  Much less receive daily and weekly email blasts.

• Love 1

Yes, I was thinking that model trains are pretty much inviting children to NOT play with them. They are great to look at, but really only older kids can actually play with them. Plus, the people I know who love model trains tend to be kind of "protective" of them, and letting random children in to touch them would be the kiss of death. Which is why they were a perfect  idea for this episode. I loved watching Terry and Holt clash over them. Especially Holt as a young boy contentedly waiting 45 minutes for his train to leave the station. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, jelaine said:

Transformers.  And he totally choked.

I saw the Transformers part, but my recording cut off just as the emcee was reading the question.  I figured Jake would choke.

• Love 1

Really liked "Chasing Amy". "Cop-Con" was just OK. Part of it was the writing seemed a bit off. It felt like a new writer or a script that had been sitting around since Season 1 and pulled out of the drawer for some reason. Also living in upstate NY I couldn't help, but notice everything they got wrong! First anything called the Tri-State <fill in the blank> Convention is always held in NJ. Always. Even if the term usually covers NYC metro, NJ, and parts of CT you always end up in some generic conference center off the turnpike. Also the exterior stock footage wasn't from Rochester! Or Syracuse. Or Buffalo. And there isn't a thermometer museum, but there is a nearby Jello museum. Do your research people! I'm starting to feel bad for Scotsdale...

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, ClareWalks said:

So 8-Drink Amy is a (terrible) equestrian! I forgot what 7-Drink Amy is, or if we ever learned at all. I remember 6-Drink was really sad. 

I thought 7-Drink Amy was Passed-Out Amy, but it might have been a ruse, and we never got to actually see 7-Drink Amy.

My theory is 7-Drink Amy does a John Hurt impression and wants to press a button, but feels really bad.

For some reason my DVR only recorded the first episode. Did that happen to anyone else? Finally saw Chasing Amy on OnDemand. I liked both. My interest doesn't live and die with Jake/Amy shipping. I like them as a couple just fine but I don't need their relationship to be the focus of the episode, or even referenced, in order for me to like it. 

I didn't get what the deal was with the bread dough in the jar. WTF? 100 year old dough? That was still usable? I think not.

I liked Little Holt waiting patiently for 45 minutes before the next train boarding. And his ultra realistic depot. And the way Terry hooked him by giving him a proper track inspector. Even Kevin didn't want to hear about the trains! "Yes you can hang up now."

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

didn't get what the deal was with the bread dough in the jar. WTF? 100 year old dough? That was still usable? I think not.

It's sourdough starter and yes its still usable. You take some out to make your bread and "feed" it with flour and water so the yeasts are old not the actual flour and water mixture. But yes it's a real thing that can get passed down.

• Love 6

Finally caught these episodes!

I enjoyed both of them, although I did prefer "Chasing Amy."  "Cop-Con" had its moments, but it really reminded me a lot of "Beach House", where the gang is trying to have fun, while Holt is not fitting in, and it ends with him realizing this and wanted to change.  And, naturally, the team ends up bonding with him.  Not bad, but didn't really bring anything new to the table.  Still, any episode that introduces another level of Amy's drunkenness is never a complete bust.  Although, I don't think 4th Drink Pervert Amy will be topped, but that's mainly because I'm all for Melissa Fumero being a pervert!  I did find it interesting that she didn't seem to have a hangover compared to the rest (especially Rosa.  Ha!)

But "Chasing Amy" though was awesome.  I love how nervous Amy apparently braids her hair, and going to town on the microwave in front of everyone was the greatest.  One of the best things this show has ever done in its entire run, was not have Amy just be the straight person in the group, and show that she can be just insane as the rest.  Melissa Fumero is so fantastic.  And Jake and Rosa being the ones to hunt her down was great, and I love how much Jakes knows her now.  And the brief flashback to "The Bet" was a nice person.  Their relationship is the best.  I'm not even worried about Amy possibly becoming sergeant effecting it, because I have faith in Schur and the rest, after the way they handled Leslie and Ben, despite her promotion (kind of.)

That alone would have been enough, but Holt vs. Terry in a toy train battle made this episode an A.  Terry's angry dance was the greatest thing ever.  And I continue to love how vindictive, childish, and petty Holt gets, whenever he gets competitive.  Terry Crews and Andre Braugher are the best.  Figured the kid wasn't going to be interested in the end, but it was still hilarious.  Plus, even Kevin being bored with toy trains was a great choice!

Fun seeing Amy's friend, and how she dislikes Jake due to his horrible performances at Trivia Night.  People do take stuff like that very seriously...

Boyle would get jealous over a robot being Jake's new partner.

I do hope they bring back Andy Daly's character, especially since it looked like he pulled one over Holt.  Granted, the rest of the Nine-Nine sure made it easy for him by going all Hangover at the convention.

• Love 6

Oh how I love Amy and Jake and their adorable romance. I love that Amy wasn't so much panicking about passing the test (of course she will ace any test ever) but about her relationship with Jake and how it might change. And of course, Jake doesn't care and would be totally pumped if she ended up outranking him, because her ambition is one of the things he loves about her. Him doing an Amy voice was both hilarious and adorable, he just knows her so well.

I liked both episodes, but I think Chasing Amy was my favorite. I'm also a sucker for model trains, what can I say?

• Love 4

I also enjoyed chasing amy more but in the first one i died of laughter when jake said he preferred unmoderated over moderated and in order for holt to believe him and allow him to carry on he needed to agree with the why! Holts face when he pauses for a second to seriously consider everything people say kills me. Like in chasing amy he took a second to think about what the kid said and then decided just get out haha and his flip floping on what terry said about their shared train obsession was awesome too he kept considering even after he made his choice. Rosa's amy impression was amazing and what made it even better to me was that it was the one time jake didnt want it!

• Love 3

Jake's Amy impression was pretty great. So was Rosa's.

My only complaint with that was Amy fearing her success would hurt her relationship with Jake. That felt a little off for the character and regressive. I think they were trying to drive home how much Jake matters to Amy, but the way she plans out her life she would have thought of that before the practice test. I would also like to think Amy would be mature enough to have that conversation with Jake rather than bolting and possibly sabotaging her career. Her leaving led to a nice plot but the wrap up didn't work for me.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/13/2017 at 5:02 PM, Dots And Stripes said:

My only complaint with that was Amy fearing her success would hurt her relationship with Jake. That felt a little off for the character and regressive. I think they were trying to drive home how much Jake matters to Amy, but the way she plans out her life she would have thought of that before the practice test. I would also like to think Amy would be mature enough to have that conversation with Jake rather than bolting and possibly sabotaging her career. Her leaving led to a nice plot but the wrap up didn't work for me.

I just took the storyline as high stress produces a lot of irrational thoughts. Once Amy was confident that she would pass the exam, her stress shifted to the other negative direction (i.e. would becoming a sergeant negatively effect her relationship.) She hadn't really worried about this before, because there was nothing to worry about.  There was more reason to stress about potentially failing the sergeant's exam, than worrying about how passing would effect her relationship with Jake.  Jake was always fully supportive of her becoming a sergeant and they were committed enough to their relationship that everything would work out fine. Becoming sergeant was a big change in her life, so I think that just made her anxiety produce irrational thoughts from all different directions. As an anxious person, even if someone dispels your fears of something (like Jake did with the practice test) it is really easy for your mind to quickly produce a new fear.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 4