Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

Tommorow's the day! I'm so excited. I know it won't be as good as the original, and I'm ok with that. I feel like I'm getting a chance to revisit a childhood landmark. I may or may not like the changes, but it will be nice to revisit the Conners for a couple eps.  Its arguable that nothing in life is as good as it was in the '90s, so I'm not expecting anything more than to enjoy getting to see the original cast back together again.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Tommorow's the day! I'm so excited. I know it won't be as good as the original, and I'm ok with that. I feel like I'm getting a chance to revisit a childhood landmark. I may or may not like the changes, but it will be nice to revisit the Conners for a couple eps.  Its arguable that nothing in life is as good as it was in the '90s, so I'm not expecting anything more than to enjoy getting to see the original cast back together again.

I feel like an excited kid at Xmas time!  Tuesday is my daughter's birthday but this year it's Roseanne day instead. 

• Love 7
On 3/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, snarkylady said:

I always felt that John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf carried this series and were far superior to any of the others in the regular cast.  Perhaps I let my fondness for the characters influence my perception of their acting abilities, I'm not sure about that at this point.  I also think Martin Mull and Shelley Winters elevated the show whenever they appeared.  Regarding the previews I've seen so far....it's very clear that they are all quite rusty and not entirely back into their characters, at least not yet.

I watched some of the reruns on TV Land last week and was surprised by Roseanne's performances in a couple of episodes:  the one where she makes Darlene go off to Chicago for school and the one at her father's funeral.  She was better than I remember during the original series run.  John Goodman is always great in whatever he does.  Sara is good, but Darlene was kind of annoying to me.  

• Love 1

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the Roseanne forum.  I'm looking forward to the reboot -- however -- the finale of the original series was such an emotional gut punch...anytime I come across a rerun of it, I have to sit and watch. While I can't imagine a reboot without Dan, I don't like the idea of retconning his death and thereby negating the original series finale. I'm less concerned about wiping out all the "truths" of the other characters we learned at the end of the finale.

I feel the same way about the Will & Grace reboot, although I always thought the original finale with W&G having been estranged for so long, was not very believable.

Anyway, looking forward to watching and discussing!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the Roseanne forum.  I'm looking forward to the reboot -- however -- the finale of the original series was such an emotional gut punch...anytime I come across a rerun of it, I have to sit and watch. While I can't imagine a reboot without Dan, I don't like the idea of retconning his death and thereby negating the original series finale. I'm less concerned about wiping out all the "truths" of the other characters we learned at the end of the finale.

I feel the same way about the Will & Grace reboot, although I always thought the original finale with W&G having been estranged for so long, was not very believable.

Anyway, looking forward to watching and discussing!

I am the same way.....I watched the finale again yesterday....which I am glad I did so close to the new eps tomorrow.  I can't remember being this excited about a tv show....I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!  lol. Honestly I don't think they can do anything tomorrow that I won't like.....I am just so happy to see my "friends" again they can retcon or explain anyway they want and I don't care!  

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

I am the same way.....I watched the finale again yesterday....which I am glad I did so close to the new eps tomorrow.  I can't remember being this excited about a tv show....I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!  lol. Honestly I don't think they can do anything tomorrow that I won't like.....I am just so happy to see my "friends" again they can retcon or explain anyway they want and I don't care!  

I’m the same way. Easter is less than a week away and I’m more excited for this than I am for a major holiday. 

I’m just super excited to see how everyone turned out. I’m such a dork, but I have a feeling I might get a bit teary eyed when I hear the opening song. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I'm looking forward to the reboot -- however -- the finale of the original series was such an emotional gut punch...anytime I come across a rerun of it, I have to sit and watch. While I can't imagine a reboot without Dan, I don't like the idea of retconning his death and thereby negating the original series finale.

I really liked the original ending of the series (other than the husband switch), but once they decided to revive the show, I knew it had to go away, at least in part, because everyone wants Dan to be in it.  It is a shame to wipe out such a powerful ending, and specifically the caused me to gasp aloud and nearly tumble off the couch and still gets me every time I watch it moment when the happy chatter of the book version of the family fades, Roseanne (in VO) says, "I lost Dan last year when he had his heart attack," and the camera pans to the empty chair, yes, but I'm willing to let those closing 10 minutes shift to existing as a parallel universe in my mind (my own book?) in order to get a, well, revived Dan.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It is a shame to wipe out such a powerful ending, and specifically the caused me to gasp aloud and nearly tumble off the couch and still gets me every time I watch it moment when the happy chatter of the book version of the family fades, Roseanne (in VO) says, "I lost Dan last year when he had his heart attack," and the camera pans to the empty chair

And you just gave me goose-bumps. The real deal. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I feel like an excited kid at Xmas time!  Tuesday is my daughter's birthday but this year it's Roseanne day instead. 

How exciting! Wishing her a wonderful birthday. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, FairyDusted said:

Sara Gilbert was on L&A SVU and Private Practice. I like her on the The Talk so theres that. ITS ALMOST TUESDAY! Set those DVR's. I sure did!

I had the pleasure to meet Sara when I visited The Talk back in its early days. She shook my hand, I told her how much this show meant to me and I really loved her character on it. She was very sweet and gracious. 

I enjoyed watching the 20/20 segment on the revival. Interesting to finally have the chicken shirt story cleared up. I kept reading different things about that shirt and how it came about to be featured on the show. 

• Love 7

Michael Fishman shares with Entertainment Weekly (and, wow, as a major publication they should have better copy editors) his thoughts on filming the first couple of episodes, and a few new behind-the-scenes photos.  An excerpt:

The first time around, in 1988, we started without fanfare. There was no precedent, but from the beginning you could feel something special. Now we have a legacy to live up to. One thing is clear as we run lines one last time, the chemistry remains impeccable and we are all ecstatic to face the opportunity.

From the first table read through each day of rehearsal, you could feel us rise to new heights, spurned on by our love for each other. This first show has a monumental responsibility, though. Season 10’s first episode has to encapsulate who the Conners were historically, who and where we are now, and, most importantly, who we might become.

Interacting with fans frequently, I am constantly reminded that Roseanne has meant a tremendous amount to millions of people. We specialized in finding the laughter in the darkest of times. This first script highlights that unique blend of painful realism and playful sarcastic humor, where families fight but love never wanes.

Emotions rush over all of us as Roseanne and John take their places. This first scene, as with the whole first show, is set to captivate lifelong fans, and introduce us to a whole new generation with timing, humor, and raw honesty rarely found all in one place in modern entertainment.

The applause shake the stage, then a perfect silence, suddenly that iconic music plays… we’re back!

I'm so excited!  I may have to help a friend with something tomorrow night, and watch my recording when I get home, and if so, she best be very appreciative - I don't want to wait another minute longer than I have to. 

• Love 6

That's great @GreatKazu! Sara is always my favorite. I liked her character then and love her heart on her show. That 20/20 was great, I'm keeping all the episodes since I have a few sets of the original. I'll get my Dad to put it on DVD for me incase they don't release it. I paid 135.00 for season 5 when it first came out. Of course later they had the box set for 25 bucks after I bought all the seasons. Bought it anvydamnway ! I wasn't chancing loosing a disk down the line! GEEK ALERT! 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

That's great @GreatKazu! Sara is always my favorite. I liked her character then and love her heart on her show. That 20/20 was great, I'm keeping all the episodes since I have a few sets of the original. I'll get my Dad to put it on DVD for me incase they don't release it. I paid 135.00 for season 5 when it first came out. Of course later they had the box set for 25 bucks after I bought all the seasons. Bought it anvydamnway ! I wasn't chancing loosing a disk down the line! GEEK ALERT! 

lol 

I had a few seasons. My daughter then bought me the entire series on DVD for a gift a few years back. 

I have my DVR set and plenty of blank DVDs to record the episodes. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

How exciting! Wishing her a wonderful birthday. 

I had the pleasure to meet Sara when I visited The Talk back in its early days. She shook my hand, I told her how much this show meant to me and I really loved her character on it. She was very sweet and gracious. 

I enjoyed watching the 20/20 segment on the revival. Interesting to finally have the chicken shirt story cleared up. I kept reading different things about that shirt and how it came about to be featured on the show. 

Thanks Kazu!  I took her out for lunch today while the grandkids were in school.  I kept trying to get her to let me take her shopping for her birthday but she wouldn't let me. We went shopping but the little shit wouldn't let me buy her anything. I slipped a few things past her though. And I made her favorite cake. 

That's cool that you got to meet Sara!! 

It's countdown time!!!!  It feels like Xmas eve and I'm waiting for Santa to come.  See you all here tomorrow night!!

• Love 6

Are we there yet? lol  I am sooooo excited! My husband is on call on Tuesday nights and usually I won't watch anything we watch together if he has to go out on a call. But I already gave him fair warning about Roseanne - I will be watching and he can watch it later. lol

• Love 2
17 hours ago, monakane said:

I watched some of the reruns on TV Land last week and was surprised by Roseanne's performances in a couple of episodes:  the one where she makes Darlene go off to Chicago for school and the one at her father's funeral.  She was better than I remember during the original series run.  John Goodman is always great in whatever he does.  Sara is good, but Darlene was kind of annoying to me.  

I think that's the scene that won her the Emmy in 1993. 

• Love 2

I always wondered how the show would have progressed if Lacey Gorason  (Sp?) hadn’t left the show.  The two Beckys were vastly different characters and the way Roseanne related to them changed.  I always felt that Becky and Darlene were initially written as a mirror to Roseanne and Jackie’s relationship but when Lacey left Roseanne switched who she saw herself in and everyone’s personalities changed because of it.  Jackie became Becky and Roseanne suddenly had so much in commo with Darlene.  

Even with those minor quibbles I am looking forward to this.  It’s probably one of the few shows that me and my parents have in common.  Especially my mother.  We have waaay different taste in shows.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Here is an interesting article with the costume designer that I ran across this morning.  There are some minor spoilers so beware!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/roseanne-costume-designer-spills-gotten-213000218.html

Love the story about where Jackie's pussy hat came from!

Tom Arnold was asked by THR to review the reboot.....I personally love the last paragraph! (and Tom too!)

http://people.com/tv/tom-arnold-review-roseanne-reboot/

Edited by Cupcake04
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I always wondered how the show would have progressed if Lacey Gorason  (Sp?) hadn’t left the show.  The two Beckys were vastly different characters and the way Roseanne related to them changed.  I always felt that Becky and Darlene were initially written as a mirror to Roseanne and Jackie’s relationship but when Lacey left Roseanne switched who she saw herself in and everyone’s personalities changed because of it.  Jackie became Becky and Roseanne suddenly had so much in commo with Darlene.  

Even with those minor quibbles I am looking forward to this.  It’s probably one of the few shows that me and my parents have in common.  Especially my mother.  We have waaay different taste in shows.

Goranson.

Today's the day! I'm SO EXCITED! :D

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The Tildens probably would have been cast differently or not at all (maybe the Bowmans would have remained), David wouldn't have moved in, Mark would have probably gotten in to more trouble creating conflict between Becky and Roseanne... Becky would have gone to community college and stayed at home. Darlene would still go to college and the later seasons would probably be much like they are with a focus on Jackie and Fred.

Finally! It's March 27th and FINALLY we get to see what in the hell the Conner's have been up to all these years.

I'm way more excited for this than I care to admit. I've been harassed by family all weekend poking fun at my Roseanne love, and I could care less.

My entire night is planned around having my butt planted firmly on my couch by 7:50 PM.

I have high hopes, but at the same time, not expecting a lot either. Hopefully that's a happy medium.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

Finally! It's March 27th and FINALLY we get to see what in the hell the Conner's have been up to all these years.

I'm way more excited for this than I care to admit. I've been harassed by family all weekend poking fun at my Roseanne love, and I could care less.

My entire night is planned around having my butt planted firmly on my couch by 7:50 PM.

I have high hopes, but at the same time, not expecting a lot either. Hopefully that's a happy medium.

I'm so freakin' excited!! I hope there's a live thread tonight.

• Love 1

I'm so jealous that some of you will get to see this three hours before me, since I'm on the West Coast; I'm used to watching stuff on cable, getting the East Coast feed on my satellite, but when I watch network TV, I have to wait.  I didn't care with the X-Files revival, because the premiere sucked, I knew it was going to suck, and I was happy to get advance warning of just how much and in what ways by checking the forum after the East Coast airing.  But with this, a) I think it's going to be great, and b) I want to go into it fresh.  It will be so hard to stay away from this forum until I'm done watching.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'm so jealous that some of you will get to see this three hours before me, since I'm on the West Coast; I'm used to watching stuff on cable, getting the East Coast feed on my satellite, but when I watch network TV, I have to wait.  I didn't care with the X-Files revival, because the premiere sucked, I knew it was going to suck, and I was happy to get advance warning of just how much and in what ways by checking the forum after the East Coast airing.  But with this, a) I think it's going to be great, and b) I want to go into it fresh.  It will be so hard to stay away from this forum until I'm done watching.

I don't go into the forums in the evening so post away.

• Love 1

I hope you can bring back the magic, but 1997 was a long time ago.

i hate all the anti trump stuff, all the pro trump stuff, and can’t tell you how asinine I find pussy hats.  

I love Roseanne, but it sounds depressing.  

But I’ll watch it and hope for the best. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I'm having a get-together for the premier, and I took the day off tomorrow. Me, excited? Nah. 

If I had planned ahead with vacation time from work, I would have so done this. Wish I had!

• Love 2

My gawd, the wait is killing me!!! This is the ONE show that has me pissed that I cut the cord!!! I want to watch it live ???

I waited 21 years, what’s one more day before it’s online? ?

You people better deliver some amazing live updates lol, as I know you will - I can always count on my PTV family!!!! ♥️♥️

Edited by Calm81
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I hope you can bring back the magic, but 1997 was a long time ago.

i hate all the anti trump stuff, all the pro trump stuff, and can’t tell you how asinine I find pussy hats.  

I love Roseanne, but it sounds depressing.  

But I’ll watch it and hope for the best. 

I feel the same. I'm going to tune in, but I'm a little turned off by what I'm reading in the media. I felt like 90s era Roseanne tackled social issues without being preachy and heavy-handed. If the show is going to be too political or too pressed to tick off every p.c. box, it's going to wear thin pretty quickly.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, UYI said:
  On 3/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, monakane said:

That’s the same episode where Jackie had to deliver the sad news to Auntie Barbara.  Probably my all-time favorite Laurie Metcalf moment.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

That’s the same episode where Jackie had to deliver the sad news to Auntie Barbara.  Probably my all-time favorite Laurie Metcalf moment.

My all time favorite Laurie Metcalf moment was hen Becky wanted to go on the Pill and Jackie's facial expressions and smile "I'nt it great, Roseanne, i'nt it great?"

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My all time favorite Laurie Metcalf moment was hen Becky wanted to go on the Pill and Jackie's facial expressions and smile "I'nt it great, Roseanne, i'nt it great?"

And her facial expressions were awesome! That was a great line!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I’m reading this in LM’s voice. I’ve seen every episode so many times that every time someone posts a quote, I automatically hear it in their voices. 

• Love 1

Unless LAFF TV (which has been showing Roseanne) shows  the new shows, I probably won't get to see them (well not anytime soon). So I'm looking forward to reading everything people have to say about the reboot.

Edited by beckie
because cell phones are no good. lol
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Jackie Harris: Auntie Barbara? It's Jackie... Jack-key! I'm fine... Fine!... I'm fine!... I have some bad news... Dad is not with us anymore... 

She starts getting much louder...

Jackie Harris: I said Dad has passed away... He's passed away!... Dad is gone!... Dad's dead!... He's dead!... NO, *DEAD!*... *DAD!*... He's fine! He sends his love! Bye!

That was some good acting ...I love Laurie Metcalf, she really was a scene stealer.

Another one of my favorite Jackie Moments was when Roseanne was telling Jackie that she can’t handle conflict and that she has an addictive personality while scarfing down pancakes ...

Jackie Harris: Well, have another shot of pancake, Roseanne. You know, people who live in glass houses, shouldn't *eat* stones. ?

Oh! And the “is this tub shrinking?” ? ?Okay, i’ll stop now lol...I’m like a giddy little kid waiting for the episode 

Edited by Calm81
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Calm81 said:

My gawd, the wait is killing me!!! This is the ONE show that has me pissed that I cut the cord!!! I want to watch it live ???

I waited 21 years, what’s one more day before it’s online? ?

You people better deliver some amazing live updates lol, as I know you will - I can always count on my PTV family!!!! ♥️♥️

I was lucky when I cut the cord all I had to do was buy a cheap flat antenna to get most of my local channels.  I subscribe to PS Vue for cable channels and in my area they don't have the locals, just on demand from the networks.  

I'm assuming the new episodes will be on Hulu and ABC's website at some point?   

• Love 1