Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

32 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Roseanne: A member of the Conner clan will be struggling with a new, very serious addiction in the revival episodes. Also, you’ll be happy to know that Estelle Parsons’ Beverly (who’s back for two episodes) has not mellowed one bit in her 80s. She’s as vicious and mean to daughters Roseanne and Jackie as ever, and you’ll wrap her cruelty around you like the warm blanket of nostalgia it is.

http://tvline.com/2018/03/16/this-is-us-season-3-sophie-spoilers-returning-alexandra-breckenridge/

I heard there's a interview with someone from the show who addresses Mark's death but I can't find it anywhere.

• Love 1

I'm guessing someone has an opioid problem and I'm guessing that someone is David, which would explain not only why Darlene has left him but why she has taken her children back to landford when she lost her job. Also answers for Galecki's absence nicely.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm guessing someone has an opioid problem and I'm guessing that someone is David, which would explain not only why Darlene has left him but why she has taken her children back to landford when she lost her job. Also answers for Galecki's absence nicely.

If they really wanted to be brave they would make Dan the opiate addict possibly from injuries working construction all those years.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Neptune said:

Roseanne: A member of the Conner clan will be struggling with a new, very serious addiction in the revival episodes. Also, you’ll be happy to know that Estelle Parsons’ Beverly (who’s back for two episodes) has not mellowed one bit in her 80s. She’s as vicious and mean to daughters Roseanne and Jackie as ever, and you’ll wrap her cruelty around you like the warm blanket of nostalgia it is.

http://tvline.com/2018/03/16/this-is-us-season-3-sophie-spoilers-returning-alexandra-breckenridge/

I wonder if it is Roseanne since Dan said he wish he had full medical insurance in order for Roseanne to have her knee taken care of in one of the promos on youtube. She could have become addicted to pain pills. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

22 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Or it could be Darlene, and she lost both her marriage and her job because of the addiction. There's a scene in the previews where's she's in bed fully dressed in the middle of the day, and Roseanne brings her a plate of food. Of course, that could just mean she's depressed.

Or it could be Mark and that's how the show will explain his death.

I guess the only person it most likely isn't would be Becky, since she's preparing for surrogacy and probably undergoing many medical tests.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3

I remember in one of the previews on youtube where Becky and Darlene are talking and Becky brings up the fact Darlene is living at home. Darlene said she moved back home because Dan and Roseanne need her because they were not taking their meds. No idea if this is related to who has the addiction, but if Roseanne and Dan are not taking their meds or are switching their meds around to each other, it could partly explain about who has the addiction.

A change in their insurance means they now get half the drugs for twice the price.  There are pain pills involved, so it could be either one of them.  They're joking about it in this clip, but that's the first episode; it could be revealed that one of them has been hiding an addiction.

We haven't heard much about what Jackie's life will be like in the revival; it could be her, if that article was using "Conner clan" to refer to the whole main cast.

Or Harris could be stealing them.

Or it's a different addiction altogether, but opioid seems the most timely.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ha - David climbed in through the window for old times sake?

David looks a little rough - maybe he really is the one with the drug problem and Roseanne doesn't want him in the house until he cleans up his act.

• Love 2

I’m kind of intrigued by the thought of DJ in the military. The article mentions a stint in the military. I’m wondering the circumstances of why he left the military, giving up a potential pension and benefits. After seeing his family struggle financially, you’d think he’d take the option where he could have lived comfortably and possibly helped his parents out. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m kind of intrigued by the thought of DJ in the military. The article mentions a stint in the military. I’m wondering the circumstances of why he left the military, giving up a potential pension and benefits. After seeing his family struggle financially, you’d think he’d take the option where he could have lived comfortably and possibly helped his parents out. 

Similar to how Fuller House kicked off, we are seeing a bad timing with the kids' careers and life styles, but at the same time. It also puts into Roseanne and Dan's health and issues. We see Dan with a c-pap machine. Roseanne needs her chair to go up stairs since her knee and apparently her back problems have returned from early reviews. So, it's along the lines of: "They can't retire until they are dead." and the kids are trying to help out their aging parents and the parents are trying to give a roof and support to their kids who have fell on hard times. DJ's could simply be that he has finished active duty and is about not only checking in on his parents and sisters, but letting his only daughter have a relationship with them. So, it's believable, though I wish Jackie would had found a career by now. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do we know if they still have the Lunchbox?

I remember that it was posted here somewhere that they do not (which is realistic, as most independent restaurants don't last long term), but I don't remember the source.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

It looks as though we are seeing the long term effects of e meshment on someone (Jackie).  Early season Jackie had a life, friends, etc outside the family..but by season 5/6..she became joined at the hip with Roseanne...and it cost her any potential for her own life.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Isn't his wife still in the military?  I figured he left to be the stability for their daughter.

Edited by Zoe
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

David looks a little rough - maybe he really is the one with the drug problem and Roseanne doesn't want him in the house until he cleans up his act.

I wasn't expecting him to look that bad--either he's the addict or maybe he's just taking the downfall of his marriage really hard.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

e meshment Lol, what?

Enmeshment.

35 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Isn't his wife still in the military?  I figured he left to be the stability for their daughter.

Yeah, while I can think of numerous reasons to want the hell out of the military (it being the military and all), with Gina being deployed, I figure that's the route they're going.

We'll find out in a week, I guess (yay!) - with two episodes back-to-back as the premiere, I think we'll get a lot of catch-up questions answered that first night.

• Love 5

Long time listener, first time caller.

Anyway, we are now LESS than a week away from the premier. I am SO excited to see what the Conner's (or Wagner's, depending who you ask) are up to. I absolutely hated late Season 8 thru Season 9, so for myself, forgetting most of that took place is going to be quite easy.

They've been showing a lot more preview commercials and I smile like a loon thru all of them.

Things I'm curious about:

The stair chair is interesting. Every time I see that commercial 2 things pop into my head. Craft-matic Adjustable Bev, (probably from all the hell Roseanne and Jackie gave her) and when Roseanne threw her back out and yelled "I can't move and I don't even have one of those buttons!" It's going to be hard reconciling 30's - 40's Roseanne and Dan with 60's - 70's Roseanne and Dan.

How political this will get. I understand the necessity this day and age, but address and move on. Don't harp.

How Mark's death will be handled.

Who has the addiction. This intrigues me a lot. At no point  (other than the pot episode) were drugs ever really a major part of the show. It seems a bit odd to me that someone within the family would become addicted to drugs, but considering the opiate crisis, and Roseanne always making the show as realistic as possible to working class, they probably felt the need to include this. I like the idea mentioned further up that it could be David. It would explain his absence due to TBBT, and for whatever reason just seems more plausible to me.

What will they choose to keep or ignore from late Season 8 to Season 9.

I'm not a big fan of shoving time forward too fast, but come on Tuesday!

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 8

I think it's logical that they wanted Johnny to look very different from Leonard Hofstadter, perhaps that's the only reason behind his appearance in the clip we're seeing.  As to him being the one with the addiction:

yes -- possibly as a sad social commentary that his sitcom brother had addiction issues in real life, and yes for the reasons mentioned above

no -- afaik Johnny is only making one appearance, unless it's just lip service to addiction problems I don't think they can show the effects in one episode although they could of course reference it when he isn't on screen

It would be far more powerful for Roseanne to be the character with an addiction and although II can't quite convince myself that they will go there with her she's the obvious choice in my opinion.  They could make it a cliff hanger thing for possible renewal.

Addiction isn't the best sticom material but Roseanne has always been different and this is another example. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I think it's logical that they wanted Johnny to look very different from Leonard Hofstadter, perhaps that's the only reason behind his appearance in the clip we're seeing.  As to him being the one with the addiction:

yes -- possibly as a sad social commentary that his sitcom brother had addiction issues in real life, and yes for the reasons mentioned above

no -- afaik Johnny is only making one appearance, unless it's just lip service to addiction problems I don't think they can show the effects in one episode although they could of course reference it when he isn't on screen

It would be far more powerful for Roseanne to be the character with an addiction and although II can't quite convince myself that they will go there with her she's the obvious choice in my opinion.  They could make it a cliff hanger thing for possible renewal.

Addiction isn't the best sticom material but Roseanne has always been different and this is another example. 

You know what, now that you mention Roseanne being the character with the addiction it's triggered something for me.

Roseanne IS the most likely addict.

Smoking, Bingo, Food......she has an addicts personality, and for that reason alone, it WOULD make perfect sense.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

You know what, now that you mention Roseanne being the character with the addiction it's triggered something for me.

Roseanne IS the most likely addict.

Smoking, Bingo, Food......she has an addicts personality, and for that reason alone, it WOULD make perfect sense.

That's right. "Have another shot of pancake, Roseanne."

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's right. "Have another shot of pancake, Roseanne."

"You know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't EAT stones."

I have no idea why I didn't make that connection sooner. With the limited amount of episodes (I secretly hope they choose to pick up another season or 2) it would have to be easily explained, and that's a way to do it. All of her other additions were resolved within an episode or 2, too. I would be ok with that.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

"You know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't EAT stones."

I have no idea why I didn't make that connection sooner. With the limited amount of episodes (I secretly hope they choose to pick up another season or 2) it would have to be easily explained, and that's a way to do it. All of her other additions were resolved within an episode or 2, too. I would be ok with that.

Sure. I mean it's not a documentary.

• Love 1

With Sara Gilbert being the EP, in addition to acting on the show, the reboot is gonna be nothing but noble Darlene and 'selfish' Becky all over again.

• Love 1

Saw this on Yotube today:

Has a lot of footage I've never seen including the opening credits.

I have to say the opening credits might be an indication of the rest of the show... I found it very wooden and lacking any chemistry between the actors. I wish they looked at the previous opening credit sequences and just said "do what you did here" again to each of them. Also didn't like how high the camera was. It was always very low and made you feel like you were sitting at the table.

The scene with Lecy and Sara is also lacking in chemistry. The comic timing of the scene is WAY off. It's like they are just reciting lines instead of having a conversation. Darlenes line about womb being a historic landmark was actually pretty funny and classic Darlene, but Sara flubbed the delivery a bit. The best part of the old Roseanne was the timing. This seems like nobody has acted in 20 years, with the exception of John Goodman who overacts. Seems like "whacky Jackie" rubbed off on Dan Conner.

After seeing the scene with Roseanne and little Mark, I wonder what the relationship has been like and how often the characters have seen each other. 

It also feels like they’re intentionally leaving out any information about Becky because everyone wants to know the circumstances of how she lost Mark and if she had any kids (for all we know, Dan and Roseanne only have the three older kids and they’re retconning Jerry into Becky’s kid). I also wonder about Andy since Jackie commented that Aunt was the only title that she had. 

• Love 2

When Roseanne enters the kitchen from the bedroom and says, "We've got a problem," she's holding and looking at a prescription pill bottle.  Then later she says to Dan, seemingly in response to him suggesting she's taking too many pain pills, "If I was taking a handful of these pills, I'd be in a way better mood; have you seen me be in a way better mood?"  So, she could be addicted, and lying about pills going missing as a cover story for the shortage, or it could be that it's not her who is addicted, but someone else in the family, stealing her pills.  Maybe Harris, since there's a problem with kids that age swiping their parents' pills for recreational use, and then getting hooked. 

• Love 3
On 3/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Mmmfloorpie said:

This seems like nobody has acted in 20 years, with the exception of John Goodman who overacts. Seems like "whacky Jackie" rubbed off on Dan Conner.

I agree that John Goodman is overacting.  He did the same thing in early Season 1, before he settled in as Dan.  I always notice that when I watch reruns.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I agree that John Goodman is overacting.  He did the same thing in early Season 1, before he settled in as Dan.

And the small, hyped-up audience seated at close range in the studio can throw off very good actors used to working only for the camera. More than they anticipate, and they find themselves over-compensating in response.

• Love 3
On 3/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Mmmfloorpie said:

The scene with Lecy and Sara is also lacking in chemistry. The comic timing of the scene is WAY off. It's like they are just reciting lines instead of having a conversation. Darlenes line about womb being a historic landmark was actually pretty funny and classic Darlene, but Sara flubbed the delivery a bit. The best part of the old Roseanne was the timing.

This doesn't surprise me, I don't think either actress was ever very good to he perfectly honest.  I haven't seen Lecy in anything else but Sara on BBT was funny because of the material.  She is what the critics would term "adequate" and of course was saved because the audience loved having Darlene and David back on screen.  Anyway it never came as a shock to me that neither actress went on to bigger and better things post Roseanne.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5

I watched that video I posted again and see Roseanne has a chronic knee injury.

Would have been funnier if they revived her bad back story.

They could have said as she got older her "perky" boobs sagged so much it put strain on her back again or something.

I’m surprised it isn’t a hip issue.

I love how all of the affiliates that show the reruns are getting into the hype for the new show. I’ve seen more advertising for the new show than I have any other show all season. Even my husband, who rarely watches tv, has asked me a few times when this premiers. 

• Love 3
On 3/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, CherryAmes said:

This doesn't surprise me, I don't think either actress was ever very good to he perfectly honest.  I haven't seen Lecy in anything else but Sara on BBT was funny because of the material.  She is what the critics would term "adequate" and of course was saved because the audience loved having Darlene and David back on screen.  Anyway it never came as a shock to me that neither actress went on to bigger and better things post Roseanne.

I always felt that John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf carried this series and were far superior to any of the others in the regular cast.  Perhaps I let my fondness for the characters influence my perception of their acting abilities, I'm not sure about that at this point.  I also think Martin Mull and Shelley Winters elevated the show whenever they appeared.  Regarding the previews I've seen so far....it's very clear that they are all quite rusty and not entirely back into their characters, at least not yet.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2018 at 7:00 AM, CherryAmes said:

To be fair, it probably didn't help Lecy and Sara's acting careers that neither one is Hollywood attractive. On top of not being exceptionally talented (thought I've heard good things about Lecy in some of her Indie roles), it didn't help their chances of going on to better things after Roseanne.

Some more collected footage:

I have to say, I was semi-impressed with Michael Fishman in the scene at the restaurant (or what I could hear, the audio wasn't great). He seems to actually have improved somewhat in the 20+ years since the OG series.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2018 at 7:00 AM, CherryAmes said:

Lecy was in Boys Don't Cry.

Cast interviews.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

(thought I've heard good things about Lecy in some of her Indie roles)

I love her in Boys Don't Cry and Love, Ludlow, and I've seen her in a couple of shorts in which she was really good, too.

2 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I have to say, I was semi-impressed with Michael Fishman in the scene at the restaurant (or what I could hear, the audio wasn't great). He seems to actually have improved somewhat in the 20+ years since the OG series.

It would be hard to be a worse actor than he was as a teenager (he was good as a kid, when he didn't have much to do, since he felt so natural with the family, but as a teen, ouch).  But, I agree, from the little I can hear, he sounds far less awkward as an adult (don't we all?).

I keep meaning to mention how much I like Becky starting to head up the stairs after her argument with Darlene, only to stop and realize, "I don't live here anymore" and head home.  It's so very sitcom-y, so on paper I wouldn't like it, but nine years watching Becky and Darlene stomp up those stairs after an unpleasant encounter means it makes me smile.

While equally simple, I also like Dan's "I ain't seen that movie in 20 years; the classics really do hold up" when Harris declares "you're ruining my life" and huffs off.  Roseanne and Dan getting a front row seat to Darlene dealing with a mini-me should be great.

• Love 9