Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

Question: I’m very excited to watch the revial of Roseanne. One thing I was curious about was the fact that there is no mention of Roseanne’s youngest son Jerry or Jackie’s son Andy. Are they not a part of this revival? —Kristen
Ausiello: They are not part of the nine-episode continuation, but we’ll learn in passing that Jerry “is on a fishing boat in Alaska,” Roseanne Bar recently revealed. Andy, meanwhile, “hasn’t been dealt with,” Barr noted, adding the decision was made to focus on the core characters this time around. “We had so many stories to tell over the arc of these nine episodes,” she explained. “[If we get] another season [we hope to bring] more clarity to those characters.”

http://tvline.com/2018/02/20/the-walking-dead-season-9-the-whispers-spoilers/

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had somehow missed until that article that Wanda Sykes is involved in this project (as a writer/producer); fantastic!

OMG, she is?! Now I’m even more excited!! Somehow I keep missing all of these articles until I see them here. 

• Love 5

Roseanne herself seemed a lot calmer than I expected in the Hollywood Reporter interview. I also got the impression that the revival is much more of a group effort, which is great when you have such a talented bunch of writers and performers. 

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's Darlene's son, isn't it?

I had somehow missed until that article that Wanda Sykes is involved in this project (as a writer/producer); fantastic!

So Darlene and David have two children. I wonder if the little boy is even David's or if they got divorced somewhere along the way and Darlene remarried a strapping red haired fella.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So Darlene and David have two children. I wonder if the little boy is even David's or if they got divorced somewhere along the way and Darlene remarried a strapping red haired fella.

He's named Mark, presumably in honor of David's late brother, so I think we can assume both kids are his.

Back when the revival was newly announced, either when they were casting or had just cast the role, Mark was described as gender fluid, but from that article a few posts above, it sounds like they decided to just leave it as he sometimes dresses in feminine clothing.  Either way, as I said at the time, Darlene and David are ideal to raise a child like that, and Dan's history of freak-outs any time D.J. did anything stereotypically feminine should make for an interesting dynamic.

• Love 3

From the article:

The SXSW rendition of Lanford Lunch Box’s menu will consist of dishes from the show. This means loose-meat sandwiches, pies, coffee, and Canoga Beer (the show’s fictional brand of root beer). The rest of the pop-up will include recreations of the show’s living room, and garage, koozies, and other swag.

Canoga wasn't the show's fictional brand of root beer, it was the show's fictional brand of BEER.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

From the article:

The SXSW rendition of Lanford Lunch Box’s menu will consist of dishes from the show. This means loose-meat sandwiches, pies, coffee, and Canoga Beer (the show’s fictional brand of root beer). The rest of the pop-up will include recreations of the show’s living room, and garage, koozies, and other swag.

Canoga wasn't the show's fictional brand of root beer, it was the show's fictional brand of BEER.

And the mascot didn't roar, it beltched lol.

• Love 2

You guys. The trailer that just aired during The Oscars has me so excited!!! It’s only a little over 3 weeks away!!! Sorry for all of the exclamation points, but it looks like nothing has changed....they were all warm and snarky, just like I like them. I’m feeling all nostalgic. 

• Love 8

That preview looked awful and solidified my decision not to watch the "reboot." The acting was broad and looked straight out of the last season of the show and the jokes were hackneyed and in the terrible rhythm of 2 Broke Girls (punchline, wait for laugh, punchline, wait for laugh) not at all like the naturalistic delivery of the early Roseanne seasons (which seemed like people talking who happen to be funny).

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Drapers4thWife said:

That preview looked awful and solidified my decision not to watch the "reboot." The acting was broad and looked straight out of the last season of the show and the jokes were hackneyed and in the terrible rhythm of 2 Broke Girls (punchline, wait for laugh, punchline, wait for laugh) not at all like the naturalistic delivery of the early Roseanne seasons (which seemed like people talking who happen to be funny).

That's cause the co creator of 2 Broke Girls.. Whitney Cummings is an executive producer on the show... so we can crude and mean spirited jokes 

There was always crude and mean spirited jokes. But it seemed raw and real. This is definitely going to look and be much different than the original run. It's been 20 years, and television and media has changed so much.. (Well..  in some ways) This is probably just going to be alright.  A nice trip down memory lane,  but, that will be about all. And remember, there won't be many episodes, so it's going to flip and change and switch very quickly and often. Still looking forward to it though. 

• Love 6
On 3/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, SparklesBitch said:

You guys. The trailer that just aired during The Oscars has me so excited!!! It’s only a little over 3 weeks away!!! Sorry for all of the exclamation points, but it looks like nothing has changed....they were all warm and snarky, just like I like them. I’m feeling all nostalgic. 

Original Recipe Becky wanting to hide the pictures of the Conors looking fat just feels so in-character for her. Lecy Goranson looks great. I hope she's over whatever substances she was dabbling with in her 20's and 30's.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Original Recipe Becky wanting to hide the pictures of the Conors looking fat just feels so in-character for her. Lecy Goranson looks great. I hope she's over whatever substances she was dabbling with in her 20's and 30's.

Agreed!! She cracked me up and I loved that she was doing something that I could see original Becky doing. Roseanne’s response (“that’s the only time we were happy!”) felt like it was straight out of the original series too. 

Lecy Goranson does look great. SO much better than she did in some of the special features on the show DVDs. I hope she’s over the substances too. She certainly looks healthier. I hope she’s found some peace. :) 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I really hope when Sarah Chalke meets Roseanne for the first time, Roseanne says "where the hell have you been?".

That would crack me up.

I liked the Disney episode where she asked her if she was glad she was there that week. 

• Love 5
(edited)
20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

19 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Agreed!! She cracked me up and I loved that she was doing something that I could see original Becky doing. Roseanne’s response (“that’s the only time we were happy!”) felt like it was straight out of the original series too. 

Lecy Goranson does look great. SO much better than she did in some of the special features on the show DVDs. I hope she’s over the substances too. She certainly looks healthier. I hope she’s found some peace. :) 

Lecy does look great but man, her voice got DEEP.

There was always crude and mean spirited jokes. But it seemed raw and real. This is definitely going to look and be much different than the original run. It's been 20 years, and television and media has changed so much.. (Well..  in some ways) This is probably just going to be alright.  A nice trip down memory lane,  but, that will be about all. And remember, there won't be many episodes, so it's going to flip and change and switch very quickly and often. Still looking forward to it though. 

I think the jokes where Roseanne is loud were for a fast cut trailer and there were a lot in the original series. Like when Becky complained about her name sounding like a chicken speaking "Becky Becky Becky" and Roseanne goes "Hey it was the 70s, you were lucky you weren't named "Frampton" or "Chablis"!

I hope the reboot has the more quiter snarks Roseanne had like when Mark says he's not very articulate when at expressing his feelings and Roseanne responds "Really? You, whose poetry moves us to tears?"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Lecy does look great but man, her voice got DEEP.

I think the jokes where Roseanne is loud were for a fast cut trailer and there were a lot in the original series. Like when Becky complained about her name sounding like a chicken speaking "Becky Becky Becky" and Roseanne goes "Hey it was the 70s, you were lucky you weren't named "Frampton" or "Chablis"!

I hope the reboot has the more quiter snarks Roseanne had like when Mark says he's not very articulate when at expressing his feelings and Roseanne responds "Really? You, whose poetry moves us to tears?"

I'm pretty sure it was Farrah, not Frampton.

Accidentally posted the new opening credits in Roseanne's character thread. Anyway, everybody looks great. I hope Darlene's daughter is more than just the typical sullen teenager. Darlene was that on the old show too but she also had more to her as she went from tomboy to "kind of Goth" type.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

After seeing all of the media stuff and the pictures, etc, the person I’m most curious about is Becky. DJ and Darlene both have kids, but what about Becky?  Is she the Aunt Jackie of the remake, the single (widowed) childless aunt?  She was pregnant in the finale, but did they stick with that part of the story?  Does she have a living child or did she have a child that possibly died when Mark died (and how did he die)?

• Love 1

I've read that in real life, one has to have already carried and be raising a child in order to be a surrogate.  So that would mean the pregnancy she announced as the show drew to a close would be real, and she has at least one child. 

But we've only seen Harris, Mark, and Mary in promos and on-set photos so far, so they may be ignoring that season nine pregnancy (and real-life surrogacy requirements, if what I've seen posted is universally true) and writing Becky as child-free in the revival.  In real time, she could have had that kid and she/he be off at school or otherwise living elsewhere now, to explain the absence, but with the way they've aged down Harris, that Becky/Mark kid would also have to age down, and thus should be with her if she/he existed.  From the clip of episode one, I get the vibe she doesn't have a kid, but we'll see.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Accidentally posted the new opening credits in Roseanne's character thread. Anyway, everybody looks great. I hope Darlene's daughter is more than just the typical sullen teenager. Darlene was that on the old show too but she also had more to her as she went from tomboy to "kind of Goth" type.

I love the opening credits! Roseanne wearing the Chicken sweater and the sweater Jackie is wearing is seriously nostalgic.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Jac said:

I love the opening credits! Roseanne wearing the Chicken sweater and the sweater Jackie is wearing is seriously nostalgic.

I love them too!! I think Roseanne licking the breadstick (or whatever it is) that Mary tried to snatch is my favorite part, along with Darlene taking Harris’ phone. 

I agree about the chicken sweater and that awful sweater that Jackie is wearing. Such nostalgia!! It reminds me that one of the little things I always liked about this show was the repeat clothing....I feel like that never happens on TV, but they had clothes that they wore regularly. And I liked that every so often when either Roseanne or Jackie would be folding their laundry, you could see in the piles some of the more distinctive clothes they’d worn in other episodes. Jackie’s denim shirt with the long sleeves that were different colors (green and orange?) comes to mind. I only remember that one because I thought it was so ugly at the time. :) 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I think Roseanne licking the breadstick (or whatever it is) that Mary tried to snatch is my favorite part

It's a taquito. They're having Mexican food, probably because Becky gets it cheap/free at the restaurant where she works.

• Love 3

TV Land is airing The Best of Becky today. They just showed Roseanne going upstairs on one of those chair elevator lifts and Dan taking her picture with a flip phone. I don’t know what made me laugh more, Roseanne on the chair lift or Dan with the flip phone. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Dan with the flip phone

That sounds about right to me. I picture Dan as one of those "What do I need a smartphone for?" type guys. Especially given how overpriced they are nowadays, I just don't see Dan/Roseanne seeing it as worth the expense.

• Love 3

Just catching up on the gossip and spoilers here for the revival, I’m about 20% excited and 80% wary. This show was too much a part of my growing up, like many of you. But hey, i pretended the last season didn’t exist for a long time, I’m sure i can repress a revival if i have to :)

Now i know Johnny Galecki filmed as David but do we know any other details about his character? Because it certainly sounds like Darlene and kids aren’t with him. Sorry if this has been covered. I went back a couple pages but didn’t see anything.

1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Now i know Johnny Galecki filmed as David but do we know any other details about his character? Because it certainly sounds like Darlene and kids aren’t with him. Sorry if this has been covered. I went back a couple pages but didn’t see anything.

I've read that Johnny Galecki could only be in one episode of the revival due to his BBT schedule. Darlene and David are supposed to be separated, I think, not divorced though.

• Love 1

There are several ways they can go with David not accompanying the rest of the family for their move back to Lanford (necessitated by Galecki's lack of availability, but also really easy to write for two characters who got married as teenagers, and because of a fetus); Darlene's relocation is - per the released clip of the first episode - positioned as resulting not just from her losing her job (and who the hell would move from Chicago to Lanford for better employment opportunities?!), but also that things are going to hell at home -- Dan and Roseanne are rationing their medications, Roseanne and Jackie aren't speaking -- so they can write Darlene and David as divorced, legally separated, or even less formally taking a break/living separately due to circumstances, and any which way will feel organic. 

• Love 3

Roseanne: A member of the Conner clan will be struggling with a new, very serious addiction in the revival episodes. Also, you’ll be happy to know that Estelle Parsons’ Beverly (who’s back for two episodes) has not mellowed one bit in her 80s. She’s as vicious and mean to daughters Roseanne and Jackie as ever, and you’ll wrap her cruelty around you like the warm blanket of nostalgia it is.

http://tvline.com/2018/03/16/this-is-us-season-3-sophie-spoilers-returning-alexandra-breckenridge/

• Love 3