Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

Yeah, every time I see a new picture of her, I'm struck anew by how the casting is utterly perfect in terms of physical resemblance.  It's even more evident in the photo that was posted earlier, of her with the little kid that we're not sure whose kid she is, but whatever the angle or pose thus far, she has looked like young Sara.  I was glad to read a while back from a poster who watches the show she's on that she's a good actor, too.

• Love 2

The clothes kind of give us a cue into what Harris is like- she seems to be dressed in a hip kind of way, which makes sense if she's from Chicago and didn't grow up in Langford. It's not really girly-girl clothing, either, which is kind of disappointing because I wanted Harris to be a total opposite of Darlene.

• Love 1

Is this the first confirmation we've had that the young black/bi-racial actor we've seen in photos is, indeed, as speculated, playing D.J.'s daughter?  Cool.  I love that he and her mom named her after Nana Mary.

Crystal was a character I could only handle in small doses and did not miss at all when she disappeared, but given her connection to the main characters, I am happy that she - despite whatever went down with Natalie West originally - will appear; I just want it to be for only one episode.  Chuck, Anne Marie, and Nancy all seem to be appearing for just one, and that's all we should get of Crystal, too.  So long as organic, rather than kitschy and forced, I'd like to see as many original players as possible in a limited run show up once.

• Love 3

It sounds like they decided to age down Harris to 14, which is probably the best choice because I want to see Darlene parenting a teenager. I kind I want some crack about it though- "Wow, Harris, I feel like you've been 14 for about six years now."

I do really like that they cast someone who actually looks like Sara and actually looks like a real teenager, instead of picking some tall model type.

I'm guessing it sounds like Andy and Jerry will still be in their early 20's like they should be, thus making it easy for them to pretend they don't exist.

If Bev is having a boyfriend, does this mean that Jackie is the lesbian? I always kind of bought that part of the ending.

I love that DJ has a black daughter, and presumably a black wife. That's a pretty big reality these days, even in "Middle America".

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too but what about Bonnie? She and Roseanne had such an easy, friendly chemistry with each other.

Bonnie had a daughter who lived in Oregon. They could have a throwaway line where she received a card or email from Bonnie, who relocated after the diner closed so she could be near her daughter and grandchildren. 

• Love 2

I did think this show was going to touch on gender identity because it is a very hot topic, and they did flirt around with the idea of it back when Jackie dressed Andy in feminine baby clothing. Interesting they're doing it with Mark Junior. The interesting turn I've seen when following transgender trends is that it's not as binary as it seemed to be back in the 90's- you were either a crossdresser, or you were transgender and would go through full surgical transition. There seem to be a lot more shades to it these days- agender, bigender, nonbinary, etc etc.

Still nothing on Andy and Jerry. I'm not attached to Jerry, but I do want to see Andy. I wonder what a kid raised by Jackie would have turned out like. And I'd love to see Jackie being the clinging mother to her early 20-something kid.

That is a pretty great idea for Sarah Chalke. It also speaks to the general "upper middle class" vibe that Sarah Chalke has always given off no matter what role she's done. She looks like she should have grown up in a lovely 4-bedroom Colonial in Connecticut instead of the Connor household.

• Love 6

I may be the only one here who loved Crystal during the original run, so I'm really glad she's making an appearance along with Ann-Marie. Can take or leave Nancy...never really loved her but didn't hate her either. Very excited to see what Bev and Doc Brown have been up to.

March 27 is my 40th birthday, so it'll be nice to have that to look forward to. Though I can't believe I'm now older than Dan and Roseanne were when the show started!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I may be the only one here who loved Crystal during the original run, so I'm really glad she's making an appearance along with Ann-Marie. Can take or leave Nancy...never really loved her but didn't hate her either. Very excited to see what Bev and Doc Brown have been up to.

March 27 is my 40th birthday, so it'll be nice to have that to look forward to. Though I can't believe I'm now older than Dan and Roseanne were when the show started!

It's also my daughter's birthday. I told her I'm really excited for her birthday this year. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I did think this show was going to touch on gender identity because it is a very hot topic, and they did flirt around with the idea of it back when Jackie dressed Andy in feminine baby clothing. Interesting they're doing it with Mark Junior. The interesting turn I've seen when following transgender trends is that it's not as binary as it seemed to be back in the 90's- you were either a crossdresser, or you were transgender and would go through full surgical transition. There seem to be a lot more shades to it these days- agender, bigender, nonbinary, etc etc.

Still nothing on Andy and Jerry. I'm not attached to Jerry, but I do want to see Andy. I wonder what a kid raised by Jackie would have turned out like. And I'd love to see Jackie being the clinging mother to her early 20-something kid.

That is a pretty great idea for Sarah Chalke. It also speaks to the general "upper middle class" vibe that Sarah Chalke has always given off no matter what role she's done. She looks like she should have grown up in a lovely 4-bedroom Colonial in Connecticut instead of the Connor household.

I was kind of hoping the show would focus on economic issues.

• Love 2

What I find interesting is that Becky serving as a surrogate unofficially confirms that she does have at least one child. I've looked into surrogacy previously and no reputable agency will work with anyone as a surrogate unless they have successfully given birth at least once.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

Well, if they kept the aspect of Becky being pregnant in the finale, her kid would have been born somewhere in 1998, and if they didn't age them down like Harris then he/she would be 19/20 and therefore off to college or a garage or whatever.  And the show might just take creative liberty on that aspect of surrogacy.

It sounds like they're being intentionally vague about Jerry, Andy, how they wrote out Mark, and if Becky had any kids with Mark.  We can kind of assume that Mark died before Darlene and David's son was born. He looks about 10-11 so maybe before 2007.

I do think it seems implied that David and Darlene got a divorce/separation and Darlene moved her kids back home. It's realistic- unless she hit on a best-selling novel, Darlene probably wasn't raking it in as a writer.

• Love 2

I'm thinking Crystal/Ann marie are both coming back for just one episode just like Nancy.  Maybe there will be a girls night session where the gang gets back together to hang out like they did in the original show during the first five seasons or so before the show became just Jackie and Roseanne with no friends.

• Love 4

As fan service, it'd be awesome if the last episode included an anniversary party or other celebration at the lodge so that previous cast members could all make an appearance. Leon was one of my favorites, along with Bonnie.

Was Roseanne's snooty neighbor Kathy still around when the show ended?

As for Trump, it could be an interesting plot point if Roseanne (the character) is a fan and others in the family are not and they give each other shit about it. As long as it's funny!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3

My God.. The comments on those links. I'm amazed half the population dresses themselves daily.  Everyone looks fantastic though. Roseanne looks great!! I am thrilled about Estelle and her plot. It's an extremely unpopular opinion, but, I hope John Goodman doesn't ham it up too much. I think he's great playing normal. But, when he goes too over the top funny or sad, it gets cringeworthy quick. Crystal will be nice to see. But, dear God, I hope they let her be happy.  And for God's sake, let her have gotten Sunny out of that damn bridge!! Good on Roseanne for bringing back some important faces. It's been hard for me to get too pumped up for this due to Roseanne's vileness, but, this was my sitcom growing up, so I can't help but be excited. Seems like some of it will be a little too precious for my personal tastes, but, that's to be expected. Please as little of that simpering whimp David as possible. One episode it says. Please God let it be true. Because it will only be David whining. And more whining. Then back to Big Bang, to whine some more. The sibling dynamic between Harris and her gender fluid brother Mark should be interesting. I can see him giving Harris the type of shit Becky used to give to Darlene and vice versa. But in 2018 style. Mark doing a vlog or something, talking to his followers about his butch sister. That could be funny.  And Leon MUST make an appearance. Aww, and sweet Scott. Should be interesting for sure! So much to cram into such short episodes which are more commercials than tv shows anymore. It's going to be like a shotgun of information to the face. 

• Love 5
On 4/30/2017 at 7:35 PM, AgentRXS said:

This worries me too. While I don't think she's as angry as she was back then, I'm not sure how in touch she is with today's working class realities.  Her 2009 update seems a bit outlandish.

I saw a recent interview Roseanne did and she was definitely off her rocker. She reminded me of someone's drunk grandma. Still, I'm excited for the new season and hope it's not over-the-top cheesy or cringe-worthy. I tried to watch the new season of "Will & Grace" but it's far too awkward and feels forced. I hope this isn't the case with "Roseanne."

On 5/20/2017 at 11:56 AM, AgentRXS said:

Michael Fishman's acting was never that great as he got older

Ugh, his acting got worse the older he became on the show. The little DJ had a cuteness factor that he unfortunately lost.

• Love 3

I'm really looking forward to this, but disappointed that Martin Mull hasn't been mentioned as returning. I've loved him since "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" and would really love to see Leon again.

• Love 4

So we will have an 18 year old actress to portray a 14-years-old teenanger Harris who is supposed to be 21 in February 2018 .. right?

Usually I don't really care with that kind of (de)sorasing in tv reality but I kind of do not like it my close-to-reality Connors world. Do I get the connection to the original shows daughters, sure. But imo Harris having her 21st birthday right at the beginning of season 10 could be just as interesting. And wasn't there talk about Darlene & David having a third child besides Harris and Mark who could be there to be the teenager needed? All in all, no biggie. Just unnecessary.

I definitely like the info we have gotten so far about DJ's daughter, am curious about who her mom is going to be.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2017 at 3:30 PM, 2727 said:

Was Roseanne's snooty neighbor Kathy still around when the show ended?

They were only on the show during season 4 (1991-1992).

Here's a new promo!

• Love 4

The preview seems odd considering Darlene was the one who was always watching sports with Dan. I’m glad to see them, but I’m hoping we won’t have to see that awful brown shirt every episode. It looks like it was stolen from Roseanne’s chicken shack days. 

• Love 3

Just watched the promo. Lecy looks great! She always had a non-Hollywood Brooklyn hipster kind of vibe. Roseanne looks good, and fairly regal in a Southwestern hippie kind of way. John Goodman looks a tad sickly but I’m attributing that to aging + a massive weight loss.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t know how old John Goodman is compared to Roseanne, but he just looks so much older than her. While she looks good for her age, he almost looks elderly. 

That's to be expected, given how much plastic surgery she had during the show (and whatever little nip and tucks she's had since). It kind of saddens me how old John looks (because it reminds me I'm getting old too) , but he does look like an average 65 year old man to me.

• Love 7

I used to watch Roseanne in the 90s when I was a kid and lived in Germany. It was dubbed over in German, and the translation wasn't the greatest, but I still loved it (the last season not so much though). I re-discovered it recently on Amazon Prime Video, and I'm so looking forward to the reunion. Thanks to everyone here who's been posting pics and spoilers!

5 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t know how old John Goodman is compared to Roseanne, but he just looks so much older than her. While she looks good for her age, he almost looks elderly. 

I noticed that too. Didn't he lose a lot of weight recently? At his age the skin doesn't have as much elasticity, so it doesn't shrink all the way when a person loses weight, which is why he looks so much older. I know Roseanne's weight has yo-yo'd quite a bit over the years as well, but she's also had multiple plastic surgeries as far as I know.

• Love 3

Lecy looks fantastic! As for John, that doesn't surprise me from the weight lost and just how the body works at that age when you lose that much weight. I really want to see a Cubs reference not to mention if there is also a Boston Red Sox reference too. Being the Conners were big Chicago fans and John Goodman was a big Red Sox fan in real life. 

• Love 2

Well, everyone else pretty much hit on what I was thinking as I watched the promo.

• Lecy looks fabulous!
  • It saddens me how much older John Goodman looks but not surprising, given the massive weight loss plus his age. I hope he's okay.
  • Why isn't Darlene the one watching sports with him?
  • Good to hear Roseanne's dry, sarcastic sense of humor, even in a very short clip. Just hearing the way she says "Dan" makes me super excited for the new season!
Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 8

Becky used to watch the game with Dan when she was younger.  D.J. did, too.  Only Darlene retained an interest in sports, as the other two lost interest as they got older, but initially everyone but Roseanne watched the Bears, at least. 

• Love 3
On 12/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, txhorns79 said:

Maybe?  I have no idea what her health is like, but I presume that she isn't just coming back to do a walk on cameo. 

She was on a few episodes of Grace and Frankie last season and she sure didn't give the vibe that being 89 was slowing her down in the least

On 12/14/2017 at 8:03 PM, Maharincess said:

I think you and I are alone in this but I'm happy Nancy is coming back too. I love Sandra Bernhard and I liked the Nancy character so hearing she's coming back was great news for me. I thought Nancy was hilarious, much better than drippy Crystal. 

Agreed. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Becky used to watch the game with Dan when she was younger.  D.J. did, too.  Only Darlene retained an interest in sports, as the other two lost interest as they got older, but initially everyone but Roseanne watched the Bears, at least. 

Thanks for that, I honestly forgot lol. I've been re-watching the series to refresh my memory but completely out of order, lol. I started out with my favorite season, 4.

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 1

Kind of off topic but has anyone ever glanced over Roseanne's twitter page? I never really paid much attention but happened across it recently and I'm kind of - well, I'll just say disturbed. She was a controversial figure back in the day and considering the current climate, I wonder what kind of show we'll be seeing...

Still, I'll hold my judgement because I'm super excited.

• Love 1