Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

Lol, sometimes I get a message that tells me "you are not allowed to like this user" or some shit.

I get that if I accidentally double-click on the heart too fast.  Really weird.

Then we hear Dan calling "Rosie, Roseanne are you coming to bed?"  She re-reads what she has written and goes "Aw this is crap". She then tosses it in the trash and turns to go upstairs to bed.

Great idea.

• Love 4
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Automne said:

I was coming here to say this exact thing. I want to see Becky unhappily married to Mark with a few children living a similarly impoverished life in which she grew up and a teenage daughter as bratty, self-absorbed, and spoiled as she was. Becky was somebody bound and determined to throw away all her potential for Mark. Darlene was a crap student, but she had drive once she found something she was passionate about. Becky was a straight-A student and could've worked her way into college via academic and financial hardship scholarships supplemented by loans (and this was before college cost six figures for just a bachelor's). But as soon as Mark came into the picture, she was willing to stay in a dead town so he could attempt to work his way up instead of both of them realizing that his skills can be transplanted anywhere and it's more important Becky goes to college. By the end of the show, they were living in a trailer expecting a baby.

Though, let's be real, Darlene and David probably wouldn't be that much better off. What people tend to overlook (or outright ignore) about Roseanne is that part of their impoverished life can be attributed to having children way too early. Doing the math, Becky was born when Roseanne was 19/20 years old and before she and Dan could establish themselves financially. Becky and Darlene have repeated that cycle and times only got harder for those in poverty. While Roseanne and Dan managed to somehow buy a house and keep up with the mortgage, that's going to be harder (if not impossible) for Becky and Darlene, even in a town an hour or two away from Chicago. And Darlene's daughter may likely be special needs; Harris managed to miraculously not die, but there could be lasting effects.

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Bastet said:

When Becky is 14, Roseanne is 36 (and a half, heh -- per the exchange between Becky and Roseanne in the episode where Becky and Dana get drunk), so that would put her around 22 when Becky was born.  And I'm actually impressed they waited that long, since they got married pretty much right out of high school.  But some other references to how long they'd been married, might contradict that if we compared it to Becky's age at the time, and indicate them as being younger when she was born; that's just the reference to Roseanne's age and Becky's in the same breath that springs to mind.  Even if 22, though, that's still young, and, indeed, having kids young is one of the many reasons the economic cycle continues. 

Interesting that Darlene was even younger when she gave birth, and Becky about the same age (assuming the pregnancy referred to in the finale did, indeed, result in a child).  I was friends in high school with a girl whose mom had been 17 when she had her, and her grandma had been 15 when she had her mom.  Following the pattern perfectly, she had a kid when she was 19. 

Both of you are reminding me of how the show changed it's tone over the years.

Becky returns from eloping with Mark and the whole family grudgingly accepts the marriage except for Dan.  Later he almost tearfully exclaims about how his daughter has settled for a dead end life.

Fast forward a couple of seasons.  We have a unemployed NuBecky and Mark living with her financially strapped parents...all signs of going to school or bettering themselves have been abandoned.  NuBecky pulls Roseaane to the side and tells her they are trying for a baby.  Roseanne gives her a giant hug like it is the best news she has ever heard.

Becky was still pretty young.  The old Roseanne would have never encouraged this.  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Both of you are reminding me of how the show changed it's tone over the years.

Becky returns from eloping with Mark and the whole family grudgingly accepts the marriage except for Dan.  Later he almost tearfully exclaims about how his daughter has settled for a dead end life.

Fast forward a couple of seasons.  We have a unemployed NuBecky and Mark living with her financially strapped parents...all signs of going to school or bettering themselves have been abandoned.  NuBecky pulls Roseaane to the side and tells her they are trying for a baby.  Roseanne gives her a giant hug like it is the best news she has ever heard.

Becky was still pretty young.  The old Roseanne would have never encouraged this.  

Good point but I can see an alternate perspective too...

Becky was already past the age of going to college (from just out of high school) and she had already been living with Mark for a few years. She was working at Bunz. 

Sometimes when kids get older and their future doesn't seem as bright, parents settle for alternative victories. Maybe Becky wasn't going to go to college right away but giving Roseanne a grand baby and Becky her own child would still be a happy event. Like how Bev was happy Roseanne turned out to be a mommy but Jackie didn't realize her potential.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 4

There was also the fact that Roseanne and Dan were already struggling with 3 kids and decided to have a fourth, so they were already deviating from the earlier seasons. With such a large age gap between Jerry and the other three kids, Roseanne might have been happy that Jerry was going to have nieces and nephews close in age to grow up with and reconciled with the fact that Becky was going to go nowhere with her life.

Roseanne and Dan having Jerry actually really annoys me. They were already living at the poverty level with the first three kids. The Lunch Box was successful, but nowhere near enough to raise another child. Especially when it takes years for a food establishment to start consistently turning a profit even in the best of locations, let alone one in an economically depressed Rust Belt town. At best, they were breaking even after rent, utilities, paying the employees, paying the purveyors, purchasing ingredients, etc. Never mind paying for their own home and still raising DJ and housing Darlene and David.

• Love 3

I think at that point Dan had a decent job with benefits and stuff. I was under the impression that they had stopped trying after Jackie became pregnant and that they weren't actively trying, but not trying to prevent a pregnancy. I really want to see the casting for Jerry. If he's anything like the chubby little guy that played him in the original series, he's probably a husky looking footballer. Maybe he's the one that actually makes it, getting a football scholarship and getting an education at a good college, even if it's a smaller college. 

If all of the older kids are going to be married in the new show, I hope they give DJ a wife similar to that bossy little girl he dated, someone who might give Roseanne a run for her money. The dynamic is a lot different with a daughter in law compared to sons in law, especially when they didn't grow up around the family. 

• Love 4

If all of the older kids are going to be married in the new show, I hope they give DJ a wife similar to that bossy little girl he dated, someone who might give Roseanne a run for her money. The dynamic is a lot different with a daughter in law compared to sons in law, especially when they didn't grow up around the family.

YES! That's a great idea!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I think at that point Dan had a decent job with benefits and stuff. I was under the impression that they had stopped trying after Jackie became pregnant and that they weren't actively trying, but not trying to prevent a pregnancy. I really want to see the casting for Jerry. If he's anything like the chubby little guy that played him in the original series, he's probably a husky looking footballer. Maybe he's the one that actually makes it, getting a football scholarship and getting an education at a good college, even if it's a smaller college. 

I be more than happy if Ashley Johnson came back as DJ's wife. She still acts both on screen and behind the microphone for cartoons. However, if Heather came back too, I'm fine with that too. Something that bothered me with Jerry was that the writers said if Roseanne did get pregnant in real life they were going to write it in no matter what. Even though there was so much back and forth after the pregnancy scare in season 2. Dan was against it, and then he was for it when they did that road trip to California and then Roseanne was against it. Then they were going at it again before Jackie found out she was pregnant with Andy (again, Laurie Metclaf pregnant in real life). I didn't have a problem with the entire storyline because it was a growing trend in the 90s, older couples were having kids after their kids were in their teens or almost out of the house. Happened with both my parents and two of my friends. However, when they decided to start hammering the dreadful season 9 when they decided to go one more season after saying season 8 was it. That's when they started going downhill, but at this point. Having an early adult Jerry or Andy isn't a problem. It's writing in Mark's death that is going to have be done right. Mark dying a few years before Darlene and David have kid number 2 isn't a problem. But considering the timing of the show and everything. They have to watch it with the ages if it is indeed 20 years later. 

Edited by readster
right now write.
  • Love 1
On 8/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, Stacey1014 said:

Yea he was working at the garage for 2 seasons by that point. I assume being supervisor at a city garage would have been $40000 a year back in 1994 or whenever. 

Dan alone was now making more than Roseanne and Dan combined when they told Becky their income was $35000 for her college application.

What I don't get is why they have the discussion about Jerry's birth being so expensive because they don't qualify for aid like the other kids.

Dan had a great job and surely would have had full medical benefits. I don't get it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Yea he was working at the garage for 2 seasons by that point. I assume being supervisor at a city garage would have been $40000 a year back in 1994 or whenever. 

Dan alone was now making more than Roseanne and Dan combined when they told Becky their income was $35000 for her college application.

What I don't get is why they have the discussion about Jerry's birth being so expensive because they don't qualify for aid like the other kids.

Dan had a great job and surely would have had full medical benefits. I don't get it.

I agree and it wasn't like they were swimming in large debt at that point either. Sure having another kid was an adjustment, but they had two out of the house, David was technically paying his own way and it wasn't like DJ was in massive sports or clubs at that point. The bike shop was long buried by then and IL wasn't having the problems they do no with health coverage costs and coverage. So it made little sense in 94 and especially today. Of course, not like show writers get confused with how much a person makes and having an excuse they have no money. I mean look at TAHM, The Middle and back in the day of: 8 Simple Rules. 

• Love 2

I was wondering how they were paying their mortgage since they took out a second mortgage in order to get the bike shop. I also could not believe Roseanne was making enough money at the sandwich shop to support the whole family especially since Jackie was considered low income to get state medical for herself while she was pregnant. Dan may have had health insurance for himself, but he may not have been able to afford putting the whole family on insurance even back in the 1990's. I also do not understand why he left his good city job to put in a bid for the prison job especially since the only reason why he got the prison job in the first place was because of affirmative action due to his one friend being African American. Roseanne was also thinking she would be able to get a contact with the state for food services. Did she not realize other businesses would be bidding for the same contact who had better food and staff.

Yeah, that is another thing. Reason they got into such financial problems was because of the second mortgage and the bike shop failing. In my opinion, the bike shop should have been something Ziggy and Dan should have done right out of high school. Ziggy was working line and optics right out of high school and Dan was doing dry wall and construction early on. Almost 20 years later and at that point in the early 90s, just equaled back and add in the second mortgage and Dan even leaving the garage for the prison bid. It was like once things were even, the Connors wanted to purposely screw things up. 

• Love 3

I could see Dan and Ziggy working as mechanics in a bike shop, but owning and running one right after high school probably would not have worked out for the both of them. I wondered what would have happened if the Connors did not win the big lottery after Dan got the prison job. One job can only carry a family so far, and I am still not buying the diner was all that great of a success.

I wonder how many paid employees the diner had. Outside of the Traci Lords character, I never really saw other employees outside of the family. I think we saw Becky and DJ working at some point, but I wonder if they were actually paid or if they were expected to help without pay because they lived at home. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I wonder how many paid employees the diner had. Outside of the Traci Lords character, I never really saw other employees outside of the family. I think we saw Becky and DJ working at some point, but I wonder if they were actually paid or if they were expected to help without pay because they lived at home. 

Charlotte and Molly worked there too. In season 7 theres some really old lady buser in one of the episodes who can't reach the dishes on the counter so Roseanne pushes them towards her.

• Love 2

I'm saying it here first. . . Dan is going to come out of the shower. . .ala Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the season that was a dream. That's how producers worked back in the day lol.

I hope they bring back some of the peripheral characters like Crystal and Arnie (yes, he was annoying but he made me laugh). Molly and Charlotte. And of course Leon. No Nancy please though. Not my favorite. 

And Michael Fishman was on Battle of the Network Stars a couple of weeks ago (the revival) and did a great job. 

I wonder if that chicken shirt is going to pop back up? 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm saying it here first. . . Dan is going to come out of the shower. . .ala Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the season that was a dream. That's how producers worked back in the day lol.

I hope they bring back some of the peripheral characters like Crystal and Arnie (yes, he was annoying but he made me laugh). Molly and Charlotte. And of course Leon. No Nancy please though. Not my favorite. 

And Michael Fishman was on Battle of the Network Stars a couple of weeks ago (the revival) and did a great job. 

I wonder if that chicken shirt is going to pop back up? 

I'd love a shower scene.  It would be a great nod to 80s television and an inside joke to the older viewers.

I hope they retire the chicken shirt. 

I wonder if they still own the diner.

No to Arnie and Nancy. I'd love to see Crystal and Ed, Leon and Scott, Bonnie, Fred, and Chuck and Ann Marie. They could also throw in a comment that Jackie ran into Booker a few years back and they got married and divorced between the finale and now.

I want to see how their house looks. Considering their love of television, I'm assuming they've upgraded their tv to a flatscreen,  but I wonder if they've updated the kitchen or replaced the furniture. 

• Love 2

Other than the props actors and producers took home with them after the show wrapped, it's going to be pretty hard to track stuff down (if it even still exists somewhere), but they can always have recreated the stuff that's really important. 

I wonder if they'll have the same couch, or a new couch but that same throw blanket.  Maybe the old couch will be at one of the kids' houses.

I think the chicken shirt will appear at least once, and I think the omnipresent corn and Godzilla will again be omnipresent.

• Love 1

Considering their love of television, I'm assuming they've upgraded their tv to a flatscreen,  but I wonder if they've updated the kitchen or replaced the furniture. 

I never watched the show "Mike and Molly" but apparently they reused the "Roseanne"  set. The photos give you an idea of what it would look like if Roseanne and Dan remodeled the living room:

http://www.cbs.com/recommended-galleries/1003798/33-great-easter-eggs-you-may-have-missed/79095/roseanne-s-set-mike-molly/

http://www.cbs.com/shows/mike_and_molly/photos/1005478/find-out-where-we-left-off-on-mike-molly-season-5/

I'm kinda glad I never watched that show because the set itself would be too distracting to me. I only see Dan and Roseanne's house when I look at the set design....I would never get used to seeing new people living there.

I think they will make realistic changes to the set without going overboard. I can't see them having the same couch for 30 years, I think it would be quite worn out by now. But I guess it could be in the basement or hand-me-down to one of the kids. I imagined they probably painted the kitchen, got some new kitchen furniture, probably replaced the stove and the fridge. Just trying to think what would realistically need to be replaced in the house since 1988 and what Dan/Roseanne would be able to afford.

You just know they are going to make some in-joke about George Clooney/Booker somehow.  Jackie will probably mention running into Booker and his "gorgeous, young, smart wife who happens to be a fancy lawyer" at some point. (It kind of tickles me that Amal Clooney is younger then Lecy and Sara and was only 10 when the series premiered LOL. )

• Love 1

The design of the house itself is iconic enough that you don't need to see the old couch or the Godzilla to recognize it as the Roseanne house.

I hope the appliances and decor are updated. It wouldn't make sense after 30 years.

I just hope the rebuild of the set is 100% accurate as far as the layout is concerned. Fuller House always bugged me because the set looks pretty good at a glance but if you look close it's not perfect. The lack of bathroom off the livingroom for instance.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie

For Roseanne, at least according to her Twitter, she was a Bernie supporter who thought Hillary was a nazi who would give nuclear weapons to Palestine. No, really.

im still not 100% convinced it isn't an act. Her daughter Jenny is super liberal and they go back and forth in a somewhat over the top way about it. 

The crazy and the inconsistent opinions existed back in the day, there just wasn't social media to make it so readily accessible.  Going by that Daily Beast article, it seems worse now, certainly, but she had some pretty unhinged phases during the show's original run yet managed to stay on message and on comedic point when it came to the Conners.  Hopefully this revival includes the disillusionment without the hate or lies.  Because, yikes, that was a scary read.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

It will be season 9 pt 2.

We'll see, obviously, but I don't anticipate that being the case.  She was up front with ABC that, should the show get one more season (after season eight, she knew if there was another one, it would be the last), she wanted to go crazy experimenting with different, "out there" ways of telling the stories.  So both things would have to happen again: Roseanne wanting to use those or new "out there" methods of storytelling in the revival and the network agreeing.  Given the difference in circumstances then and now, I don't particularly see either happening, and certainly not both. 

• Love 1

It will be season 9 pt 2.

As I was typing, BASTET posted just what I was thinking. Roseanne doesn't have the hold she had on ABC like she did 20 years ago. This is only 8 episodes. They aren't going to give her free reign to whatever the hell she wants. I'm sure that the show will be heavily monitored before it goes to air---they are all aware of how BSC Roseanne can be.

No matter how it turns out, you can be sure Roseanne will do have a follow-up interview complaining about how the new execs at ABC censored her, how show biz isn't like how it was "back in her day" and so on. That's just how Roseanne is.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 2
On 8/24/2017 at 9:01 PM, Bastet said:

I wonder if they'll have the same couch, or a new couch but that same throw blanket. 

Don't laugh  - but I had that exact couch back in the 80s. We bought it at one of those "furniture liquidator" type places. Our chair was different (and we got a love seat in the process). and that sofa was so narrow - I can't imagine how Dan could lie on it without flying off. 

That afghan was a granny square crochet pattern. My mother had the same one (that she crocheted herself). I'm sure they could find another one at a yard sale. 

14 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The things Trump has said would appeal to the working class. 

Not this working class voter. Nor my family, for that matter. 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll give it a peek. The minute she starts slobbering Trump's knob, I'm out.

Same. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

We'll see, obviously, but I don't anticipate that being the case.  She was up front with ABC that, should the show get one more season (after season eight, she knew if there was another one, it would be the last), she wanted to go crazy experimenting with different, "out there" ways of telling the stories.  So both things would have to happen again: Roseanne wanting to use those or new "out there" methods of storytelling in the revival and the network agreeing.  Given the difference in circumstances then and now, I don't particularly see either happening, and certainly not both. 

16 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

As I was typing, BASTET posted just what I was thinking. Roseanne doesn't have the hold she had on ABC like she did 20 years ago. This is only 8 episodes. They aren't going to give her free reign to whatever the hell she wants. I'm sure that the show will be heavily monitored before it goes to air---they are all aware of how BSC Roseanne can be.

No matter how it turns out, you can be sure Roseanne will do have a follow-up interview complaining about how the new execs at ABC censored her, how show biz isn't like how it was "back in her day" and so on. That's just how Roseanne is.

Saying it would be season 9 pt 2 was more a comment that it would really suck lol. Not that it would continue the lottery story or some other kooky plot. I also think that like season 9, it will be completely divorced from the original series.

Part of me thinks Roseanne is bat shit crazy now and I'm hoping for a Roseanne reminiscent of seasons 1-4.

If it is only 8 episodes, I hope there is an arc and they aren't just "bottle" episodes. It should be as if the Conners have been living their lives the past 20 years and we just drop in on them to see the latest crisis they have to live through.

It shouldn't be just cute little episodes about the trials and tribulations of Darlene's kids.

• Love 2
On 8/8/2017 at 1:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

Click directly on the heart. Lol, sometimes I get a message that tells me "you are not allowed to like this user" or some shit. Does anybody else ever get that?

I get that sometimes! Best thing ever @peacheslatour ! You get extra points to working Roseanne in at a BBQ. Hope the eats were good! Did you snack the coals to 'work as a team?"

• Love 1
On 8/28/2017 at 6:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'll give it a peek. The minute she starts slobbering Trump's knob, I'm out.

As excited as I am about this reunion show, I feel exactly the same way. I have to hear enough Trump worshipping on the rare occasion I talk to my mother, so I refuse to deal with it in my entertainment choices also. 

Something that gives me hope that there's nothing to worry about is that Laurie Metcalf is enthusiastically involved in the reunion, and from what I've read, she's super liberal. I feel like her career post-Roseanne has been doing just fine without her needing to put up with crazy pro-Trump Roseanne just for a paycheck. 

A girl can hope that's the case, anyway. 

• Love 9

Jackie was always my favorite character of the show, so I'm looking forward to seeing how her life turned out after the finale. 

I hope there's some maturity in the younger characters, especially Becky. I didn't mind Sarah during the original run, but after watching the reruns over the year, her Becky was a prissy little snot and not even Lecy coming back could save the character. It will be interesting to see the dynamics between Becky and Darlene, especially if one is happily married and the other possibility a struggling single parent (unless they omit the finale pregnancy and make her the Jackie to Darlene's Roseanne. 

• Love 5

What I'm wondering is if they are going to pick up in the present day or maybe set it a little bit in the past by maybe 5 to 10 years. I'm almost hoping it's maybe set mid 2000s, simply because I feel it's a shame to completely miss out on seeing Darlene raising her own daughter. Harris will be pretty much fully grown if it is set in present day.

• Love 3

The scrub begins: Roseannes twitter has been deleted all the way back to 2011 and now has the disclaimer that it's a parody feed.

LOL As if anyone watching this show doesn't know that Roseanne is BSC. Do they not realize that we watched Season 9 and are fully aware how BSC she get?! We love the show despite her flaws.Erasing 6 years of Tweets is pointless.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Cute kid. I just hope he's not too precocious to the point where he becomes obnoxious. They mentioned trying to get the actor who played David to appear as a guest star. Since I wasn't a fan of the character the first time around, I'd be fine with them saying he worked in Chicago or some other location and only appeared once or twice. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Cute kid. I just hope he's not too precocious to the point where he becomes obnoxious. They mentioned trying to get the actor who played David to appear as a guest star. Since I wasn't a fan of the character the first time around, I'd be fine with them saying he worked in Chicago or some other location and only appeared once or twice. 

The revival is a natural fit for ABC of course, but I wonder how much Sara will be able to promote it on The Talk, and CBS probably wouldn't been too keen on Galecki having any more than a walk on.

• Love 3

Knowing that they name the younger kid Mark, I wonder how they will write the original Mark out. I'm assuming he will be killed off. I wonder if it will be a car or motorcycle accident, maybe he was killed in a freak accident at the prison since he was working with Dan towards the end, or if he couldn't handle it when Becky went back to college and turned to drugs and overdosed. Personally, I'd love to see something like it was a freak accident that left Becky a single parent and the insurance/settlement money afterwards was enough for her to go back to college. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Knowing that they name the younger kid Mark, I wonder how they will write the original Mark out. I'm assuming he will be killed off. I wonder if it will be a car or motorcycle accident, maybe he was killed in a freak accident at the prison since he was working with Dan towards the end, or if he couldn't handle it when Becky went back to college and turned to drugs and overdosed. Personally, I'd love to see something like it was a freak accident that left Becky a single parent and the insurance/settlement money afterwards was enough for her to go back to college. 

You could even go as far as a life changing situation, where despite the grief and cause, it make Becky want to better herself for her children. Even in the hardships, took it and moved on the best she could. That be a great story to tell instead of: "Well, Mark died, David and Darelene named their second child in his honor and that's it. 

• Love 1

Becky never seemed like she was unmotivated. Even when she worked at the Hooters wannabe place, she seemed like she was a hard worker and didn't want others taking care of her. She just hit a rough patch where there was no college money and things were bad at home, so she did what she thought was best for her at the time.  Maybe seeing Darlene succeed at school and parenting inspired her to do better job wise. If she was widowed with a child(ren), I could see her moving back in with Roseanne and Dan and having childcare and financial help while she went to school. When the series ended, she wanted to be a doctor. Maybe she went to a community college for something like a CNA or a medical assistant. 

• Love 3