Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Reality Stars: The Musical

• Start Topic

“This is RuPaul’s Best Group Therapy Race.” Considering the serious of the eating disorder topic, I felt bad for laughing, but it was a hysterical comment. 

I was going to ask why Megan Trainor was wearing a unicorn onesie, until I realized I don’t care. She annoys me so much and offered nothing as a judge. 

I really can’t stand Alexis, but she did a great job as Kris Jenner. But Shea Coulee definitely stole the show as Black Chyna. I love her and she definitely deserved her win.

I really like Nina and hope she can get out of her head, because if so, she has a chance to go really far in the competition, I think.

I felt bad for Eureka being sent home for her injury, though it was the right call. And I’m glad she gets to come back in the future. I read in last week’s episode thread that she had surgery in September. I hope she’s healed. And I hope that’s the end of overly physical challenges like the Cheerleading and Wrestling challenges.

• Love 6

Okey dokey... On the challenge first: The judges were spot on with top and bottom queens.. Shea totally earned her victory by killing both challenge and runway. Alexis could had a chance but damm, she goes to the runway looking like she was about to make a surprising reveal and she give us a sales dress that you can buy at any store?!!  And Peppermint and another random piece of pink fabric under her waist again?!!! Geeez girl.

And yes, please Nina, NO MORE DRAMA! Really glad they called her on the fake conspiration. Get it out of your mind and be the fierce queen we know you can be.

Well, once the crew member showed under the table I knew Eureka was a goner, no mistery there. For sure not the way people expected to see her leaving, that was sad. But, pretty sure she will return more bitchy next season. Wondering again, how much was the difference between her injury and Charlie´s, cause Charlie really went home as quitter while Eureka really had no choice.

And Cynthia and Farrah? Unless you step up, you can both go away on the next two episodes, in no particular order.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 3

I didn't know that Megan Trainor was still making music, so tonight was surprising.

I was prepared to hate the Kardashian musical because my god is that an annoying family, but Alexis as Momager and Shea as Blac Chyna were amazing. Shea's win was well deserved, but I would have been just as happy with Alexis. 

Unfortunately, Farah Moan proved that she's nothing but face. I'm upset that she didn't completely overdraw her lips to Aja-like comic proportions because hello, that's what the real life Bratz doll looks like. And that lipsync? No ma'am. She would have gone home if Eureka wasn't on crutches.

Finally, I'm upset that Cynthia didn't match her bra and panties. Like, good on her for capturing the fact that women will throw on some cute lacy undies with a non-matching black t-shirt bra in a second (or is this just me), but girl. It's a competition. Always be prepared. Always wear matching lingerie.

edit: Almost forgot about Nina. She disappointed me tonight. Stop worrying about other people, or your perception of their perception of you, and work with what's given. 

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 2

I hate the Kardashians, but I did like Aja trying to explain the Black Chyna part to Valentina. I also liked V's succinct "escandalo" reply.

Megan Trainor showed up, dressed as a unicorn (WHY?), and they sent Eureka home, with no notice to her as far as I can tell. They lipsync was pretty meh, but I think Farrah won, but not by much. The song was awful.

Then the weirdness of Ru excusing himself before making a decision, then calling Eureka forward. I wondered if Eureka had been having sex with Willam's husband, for a second there. 

I agree they need to stop with the wrestling, cheer leading and other dangerous events.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 11

“This is RuPaul’s Best Group Therapy Race.” Considering the serious of the eating disorder topic, I felt bad for laughing, but it was a hysterical comment. 

Don't feel bad! I think that this is a *good* use of humor deflecting the moment, as opposed to Eureka's stepping-in-it moment from last week.

My cynical self wants to call shenanigans: Eureka knew she was leaving so she wanted to clear the air before her departure, for example; but I will take the moment for what it was. I know I've posted a lot about viewing parties and by no means do I think that this show should impact a single person watching in the privacy of their own living room any different from a person watching at a crowded gay bar, but discussions like the eating disorder one -- and the Pulse one -- is why this show is more important than mainstream outlets often give it credit for. Eating disorders/body dysmorphia *can* be a big deal in the gay community and certainly for some drag queens.

Hell's bells: I watched this standing next to a friend who is maybe more of an Alexis Michelle kind of build, and I am more of a Farrah Moan. He joked "I can't relate", but I knew damn well he's been down on himself for having more pounce to the ounce. Conversely, once I turned 29, my body decided it couldn't eat and drink the way it wanted to without maintenance, and my tight pants got a little bit more tight and bar acquaintances would comment on a protruding belly stuffed over pants that were probably too tight when I had bought them ten pounds ago. A year later, a joyride of mental illness and habitual ways to, um, distract myself from that illness, led to an abrupt 15-pound weight loss. The same people who wanted to poke me like the Pillsbury Doughboy would comment that I was a skeleton or Mary-Kate Olsen. YOU CAN NEVER WIN WHEN YOUR OWN BODY IS THE TOPIC AT HAND, and I am grateful for this show that it mostly highlights the wonderful things about our gay community while also highlighting ways we can improve ourselves. I'm so glad they actually *kept* the Alexis comment because it is with humor that we can talk about this stuff without being so ham-handed.

*Falls off soapbox and climbs back up so I can just talk about the episode as a whole now*

Nina was definitely in her own head, but she was still adequate, so I'm glad she got the Bottom 3 spot but not a lip-sync for your life.

I also question why Charlie Hides was not given the "injured" edit and Eureka was. Did they not know the severity of Charlie's injury? Did she sabotage herself by willing to a) play the game they wanted or b) sabotage herself anyway? I do feel bad for Eureka, because even if she could be stank at some time, she gave it her all during that challenge and -- from what we saw, anyway -- didn't try to use it as an excuse for anything. I shouldn't necessarily be *impressed* with Ru and WoW for handling it the way they did, but these shows are non-union, and these girls don't necessarily have the strongest legs to stand on (no pun intended).

I would love to know who wrote the Kardashian stuff. Was it Lucian but done before he went into exile? My only quibble was that Kim first got her name in tabloids as an assistant to Paris Hilton, and it was weird to acknowledge the Lindsay/Paris/Britney trifecta of those days without that part of the story. Also, the "4 sisters" joke was previously done by Kristen Wiig in a hilarious SNL spoof about a decade ago. But props to Alexis, who chose the perfect part for herself and killed it.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 11

I cannot with Meghan Trainor. Todrick is always a delight.

I also cannot with that "K" family but enjoyed seeing some of our queens turn it out, especially Shea and Alexis with Peppermint as Britney as honorable mention. I heart Nina but hope this isn't the start of a downward slide for her confidence.

Anyone else wanna know who Ru would've chosen to sashay away? 

5 minutes ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I cannot with Meghan Trainor. Todrick is always a delight.

I also cannot with that "K" family but enjoyed seeing some of our queens turn it out, especially Shea and Alexis with Peppermint as Britney as honorable mention. I heart Nina but hope this isn't the start of a downward slide for her confidence.

Anyone else wanna know who Ru would've chosen to sashay away? 

Farrah. For sure. 

• Love 2

Meghan was neither here nor there. The musical was surprisingly cute and enjoyable. I also clocked Cynthia on the non matching bra and panties and there was something about Farrah's makeup that bugged tonight. I love Nina's painting skills but she has some growing up to do. Yep as soon as that producer appeared I knew Eureka was going TG she can come back next season and try again. Good on the production team for checking her out with a doctor now I really wonder about Charlie. When Farrah and Cynthia burst into tears at Eureka leaving I was a goner, wish those damn onion cutting ninjas would stay outta my house. 

ETA: While Farrah wasn't great that was the best lip sync of the season so far as in both people doing well.

Edited by twinkietwin94

Yep, based on the lyp sinc, probably Farrah would go.  But Cynthia keeps proving shes not able to be competition for the queens behind her. She tried her best, but its very predictable and not great/little lame in spots. And she failed on this challenge because she couldnt rely on her ´´Cucu`` thing. Thats a big problem, its showing that the only thing she has is this (apart from a nice/friendly personality out of drag, but we are not judging that).

• Love 2

How deluded was Trinity's thought that she should have nominated Eureka? Eureka and Nina were the only things that saved Not On Today. Saying Eureka deserved to be in the bottom would have made Trinity look insecure and spiteful.

Speaking of Eureka, it sucks that she had to leave because of an injury. She turned out to a lot stronger than I would have guessed. Next season she's going to be a terror because she's been through this already. I'm a bit upset that we won't see what she had to bring for the Snatch Game because she's one of the stronger comedy queens.

Nina needs to get out of her own head. I don't know anything about the Atlanta drag scene, but Nina's drag is very unique. I can see her style being marginalized because it's a little weird. She's not in New York where people might be more comfortable with weird drag. Sharon and Alaska had each other for support.

I thought both Cynthia's and Farrah's energy was curiously low during the lipsync. I think Farrah was slightly better.

Alexis was great as Kris, but she has the style of a suburban mom. Shea deserved the win.

No more physical challenges.

I agree with Eureka that Ru looked fantastic tonight.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

While a knee injury is bad news in any scenario, and I'm guessing even after surgery and rehab this will make lip syncing and dancing in heels for a living more difficult, this arc bodes well for Eureka should she return. She already got a few moments of redemption for her irritating behavior, and she'll likely come back with a better understanding of how to play the game and some new looks (and please god, different wigs). 

Anyone else confused as to why North West was apparently classified as a white girl part? And while it would be maybe risky/problematic, it was a real missed opportunity to not have someone play Caitlyn. If any show should throw a little shade at her, it's Drag Race. Sharon Needles proved that shit could be hilarious on the BoTS tour. Plus from a storytelling perspective it would've been a good opportunity to hear from Peppermint (not that she should've played Cait, but it would've made for a nice prepping-in-the-mirror moment). 

I really loved the girls opening up about ED and body image struggles. After having the worship of jaw-droppingly modelesque thin bodies in seasons seven and eight, I thought this was a much-needed counterbalance. I'm not saying that Violet and Naomi have or glorify eating disorders, but similar to the praise heaped on supermodel waifs it just made me feel a little weird, and it was nice to acknowledge that it's not just cis women who feel this pressure to have a 'perfect' body, like that's even a thing.

Also, now that Eureka's gone I'm hoping we'll never have to hear Trinity declare "I call shade" again. I get it, 'shade' has gone fully mainstream and is misused all the time now, but girl you're a drag queen! Dorian Corey would be disappointed.

• Love 5

@annewithaneee you make a good point about a missed opportunity discuss Caitlyn and get Peppermint's perspective. I suspect that intentionally excluded Caitlyn because of the show's previous issue with transphobic language. I'm sure they thought it was asking for trouble.

Sorry, but I had to laugh when Eureka was looming over Sasha and Valentina with her makeup half done while apologizing. Looked like the start of some kind of terror film. But I did like that everyone had an honest moment over the challenges of beauty standards. Those S10 queens better look out, because Eureka was burning it up before. Gotta say, the fact Phi Phi is her drag mom makes me think a *little* better of her.

Cynthia was pulling out the stunts, but, imo, they didn't connect to the song at all and she didn't know all the words *again*. And it's a simple ass song. I don't know why she thinks that weird guppy mouth is a good way to cover up a missed word. Farrah was low energy, but she fit the song better, imo. It's not a flying splits kind of song. And she's got a heart of tissue paper, apparently, so I suppose she was probably trying not to just sob through her lip sync. Woman up, woman! Her being obsessed with Kylie Jenner and being completely unable to think of *anything* to do other than stumble through hand clapping does not bode well for her future. Especially her Snatch Game, that's gon be badddd.

What is with Peppermint and those ugly ass outfits? Alexis talked about Peppermint last Untucked like she'd been in the game a long time, so why is her wardrobe still so basic? Hopefully she's trying to save the big guns for later or something. She really killed it as Britney, she overshadowed Trinity and Sasha by a mile. Her ability to comprehend a 1/3 chance of getting the black character was refreshing. 

Ugh, I wanted that win for Alexis. Her 'momager' was hilarious and her Kris drag was unclockable. Whyyyy did she have to come out in that absolutely tragic runway? 

Shea is getting a little cocky, looks like she's being set up for a dramatic bottom 2 moment, a la Alaska. Don't talk to sexy to mama, you not there yet, girl.

Nina's biggest challenge is Nina. Tortured genius, etc etc. Lady Gaga gagged for your drag, who cares how the BB in Atlanta treated you before? You're here, not them!

Edited by rozen
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, rozen said:

Cynthia was pulling out the stunts, but, imo, they didn't connect to the song at all and she didn't know all the words *again*. And it's a simple ass song. I don't know why she thinks that weird guppy mouth is a good way to cover up a missed word. Farrah was low energy, but she fit the song better, imo. It's not a flying splits kind of song. And she's got a heart of tissue paper, apparently, so I suppose she was probably trying not to just sob through her lip sync. Woman up, woman!

It really wasn't the right song for stunts and tricks. Additionally, Cynthia's didn't seem purposeful or really connected to the song. For me, the gold standard is Katya and Kennedy Davenport with Roar. The two of them landed in their respective splits at the same exact moment. Katya and Kennedy really understood that song and how it was building to a crescendo.

• Love 2

This season is a weird one for me right now. I like it more than the past few seasons, but I don't feel like there's much to say about it. The queens I expected to do well are doing well (except Charlie) and the queens I expected to do poorly are doing poorly (except Trinity). And although it's a great cast overall, I feel like we're already down to three, maybe four different queens who actually have a shot at the title.

Also, Snatch Game is coming up, and I can't help but notice that we don't really have a comedy queen in this bunch. I have no idea who's going to do well. But after the way this episode built Shea up as a frontrunner, I'm feeling fairly confident that she'll stumble and have to lip sync, probably to get rid of someone like Aja who would win against most other queens.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 2

I cannot stand aja's makeup! It's the biggest hot mess week after week. This week farah moan looked like Casper. I don't get why she matched her foundation to paper. Ninas pity party is old and she needs to turn that frown upside down or sashay away asap. Meghan trainor singing along to her own song bugged me, I don't know why as unicorn onesie aside, I forgot she was there.

I'm not quoting anything in particular because my intention is not to call anybody out...especially not on a topic so personal as an eating disorder. Everyone's situation is different and I respect and appreciate people sharing their own experience. I do, however, want to address the wanton disregard that the girls on the show displayed toward Eureka's "joke" on the previous episode. We got pretty good closure on this episode, but only "pretty good" because no one seemed to even consider that a bunch of skinny girls talking about how hard it is for them to be so skinny, in the presence of a larger girl, is beyond insensitive and that was not acknowledged.

Eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes and Eureka's outburst was perfectly understandable to me. I knew exactly where she was coming from. It really was a missed opportunity for the skinny girls to point out shape shaming comes in all sizes and to invite Eureka to share in the conversation to compare notes on the feedback they all get from their relative perspectives. I put the onus on the skinny girls because, clearly, there were more of them; at least one of them should have recognized the comment as a defense mechanism. What I saw last episode was a huge gang up on Eureka. She was classy in this episode and took an opportunity to apologize and let the skinny girls have their moment (producer intervention?). Still, even then, they never considered that Eureka is also dealing with issues in regards to her size.

As Kim Chi reminded us so vividly last season: "No fats, fems or Asians." has been a common refrain at least since I've been around (and I'm about the same age as Charlie), I can't speak to what came before. I'm assuming it's still around since it was Kim Chi's watch cry and she's pretty young. In any case, we've seen some stellar big girls on RPDR and yet none has won the prize. Violet was/is very accomplished on and off the show, but so was/is Ginger (albeit less so on AS2). I do think that their race, in particular, could have gone to either; it went to the ultra-skinny one. There are never a pack of big girls who make the show in the same season, so, obviously there are few opportunities for the token to make it all the way to the end. This is a race and endurance matters. Perhaps, unintentionally, the show itself makes a contribution to the pressure of needing to be skinny. It's a conversation that I, for one, would have liked to hear.

It's often said that humor masks great pain. Someone, anyone, should recognized it and come to Eureka's defense last episode. It is what it is, though, and in this episode, I think that the big girl came out and slayed the competition as the bigger person, despite also dealing with actual debilitating physical pain. It'll be interesting to see what she brings back to the competition next time around, should she choose to return.

• Love 9

How did Alexis win that selfie challenge? Her picture wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. Side note: I am totally fine with selfies but you can't let the selfie stick show in the picture! Come on, people!

It's only the fifth episode and I'm already tired of these spoonfed challenges where they are memorizing lines and choreography. I'm more interested in seeing the queens have the opportunity to show their personalities and creativity.

I get not being happy with the role you're assigned, but you have to embrace your character and do the best you can. Nina needs to stop wallowing in self pity and giving in to her paranoia about people being out to get her, and I don't just mean on the show. It's not healthy to go through life that way and I don't want to see Nina being what's stopping Nina from excelling because she is a good drag queen.

Peppermint did a great job as Britney. As the judges pointed out, she had the Britney moves down so it didn't matter that she doesn't look like Britney at all. Alexis was a funny Kris Jenner.

I agree with the judges that the queens who were assigned the main characters (Kim, Khloe, Kourtney, Kendall, and Kylie) showed very little personality in their performance but I also felt like the Kardashians, despite their popularity, don't have a whole lot of specific personality to show in a performance like this.

Ru looked gorgeous at judging.

I am not a huge fan of stripping during LSFYL but I also think that if Cynthia felt hampered by that long, heavy dress, I'd rather she pull it off so that she could move more freely. If Eureka hadn't been cut for her injury, I wonder who Ru would have chosen. Cynthia looked like she didn't know the words, which was one of the reasons why was in the bottom two in the first place. Farrah, on the other hand, is not a very lively performer.

• Love 2

If we are having a discussion about big queens that didn't get the love they deserved I must interrupt with two words : Latrice royale.  Her drag wasnt always polished but santino was such a raging prick to her.  A skinny girl could show up in a bikini and he's praise it before anything latrine did.

Having said that, I understand the point the poster made above and I saw a lot of the same thing. But I haven't ever thrown up because I was so obsessed with having the body society tells me is right.  I have however just downed 4 ice cream sandwiches in a row so i might throw up regardless.  Just to say, i.dont know.how.either party feels but i.can see both sides of.the.coin.

I hope nina doesn't get in her own way.  She did good in the musical, she just needs to learn to take disappointment a little better.

And Cynthia completely lost me with taking her dress off and with the mismatched lingerie.  I didn't mind the splits so much, but no girl do not show your mismatched lingerie unless it's an emergency.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's only the fifth episode and I'm already tired of these spoonfed challenges where they are memorizing lines and choreography. I'm more interested in seeing the queens have the opportunity to show their personalities and creativity.

Oh, boy. This.

I'm also sick of not getting a proper look at the runway - that is what I can see of it with all that purple glare. What is going on with the edit this season?

• Love 3

Just saw untucked and  I was rolling my eyes along with Nina while Alexis was calling the queens for not warn her that her looks was basic, making all that scene. Bitch, do you guys have mirrors? Use them! I get, seems that you helped other queens, but theres no away everyone can cover up others mistakes/know what the judges will like or not. If you are so on point to not let anyone go to the stage looking bad, why Peppermint went to the stage wearing thoses lame pink skirts for two weeks? Should she put the blame on you?

Other than that, I didnt know that Farrah had such a bond with Cynthia, so it makes me understand why she was extra emotional. Nina was still on her head, Shea was a really good sister to como over to her, even knowing that if she turn around she could be competition. After see that support, really girl, get over the victm character here I dont say again that you will give up (we didnt heard from her but other queens mentioned she said that, despiste the fact some believe that she wouldn). Talking about give up, the queens really got disappointed with last week/were worried for the season reputation after that lip sync.  

Alexis did great as Kris Jenner because like Kris Jenner, she's the worst. This scene in untucked where she summons everyone over to scold them for not telling her to put on a different outfit is about the most annoying thing anyone has done on this show since LaGanja. Girl, shut up. 

I really don't think Farrah is very exciting but she occasionally shows flashes of wit that makes me think there's something there that she's holding back. I think she won the lip sync because Santi Alley didn't know the words and also her mouth is insanely distracting. 

Valentina is probably what Farrah wants to be, and Farrah should watch her for tips. She's super fabulous, incredibly sweet, and every once in a while when she starts to veer into annoying territory, she pulls it back with some hilarious self-deprication ("it's not in the budget" re: covering her house in crystals). 

Valentina, Shea, and another queen-to-be-named-later for final three, please. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Glaadrial said:

I'm not quoting anything in particular because my intention is not to call anybody out...especially not on a topic so personal as an eating disorder. Everyone's situation is different and I respect and appreciate people sharing their own experience. I do, however, want to address the wanton disregard that the girls on the show displayed toward Eureka's "joke" on the previous episode. We got pretty good closure on this episode, but only "pretty good" because no one seemed to even consider that a bunch of skinny girls talking about how hard it is for them to be so skinny, in the presence of a larger girl, is beyond insensitive and that was not acknowledged.

All of what you said is very well-put. This happened a bit in Season 6 too, where DeLa and Adore had a brief serious-music interlude about struggling with weight and body image that excluded Darienne. It did seem in last week's episode that Eureka was going to maybe admit to her own struggles, or it could have just been defensiveness (pointing out that anoxeria isn't the only type of ED), and it would've been nice to see the girls reach out to her rather than just accepting her apology. Given that this group seems to be ultra aware and emotionally intelligent, I wouldn't be surprised if they did talk about it and it didn't make the edit.

3 hours ago, Egg said:

Alexis did great as Kris Jenner because like Kris Jenner, she's the worst. This scene in untucked where she summons everyone over to scold them for not telling her to put on a different outfit is about the most annoying thing anyone has done on this show since LaGanja. Girl, shut up. 

I really don't think Farrah is very exciting but she occasionally shows flashes of wit that makes me think there's something there that she's holding back. I think she won the lip sync because Santi Alley didn't know the words and also her mouth is insanely distracting. 

Valentina is probably what Farrah wants to be, and Farrah should watch her for tips. She's super fabulous, incredibly sweet, and every once in a while when she starts to veer into annoying territory, she pulls it back with some hilarious self-deprication ("it's not in the budget" re: covering her house in crystals). 

Valentina, Shea, and another queen-to-be-named-later for final three, please. 

Just watched Untucked. Alexis was awful. "You should have told me that I looked basic." I'm sorry bitch. Do your eyes not work? Her whole "you should've told me because I've helped you all out" was obnoxious and entitled. Where was this super helpful note providing gift (TM Sephora) giving version of Alexis when Aja turned up looking like the Heatmiser? Or when Peppermint was rocking another hideous pink skirt? Or when Trinity walked out looking like a gang of mutated turkeys had attacked Princess Banana Lady? Alexis has had two good looks--her Gaga look and her white party look. Her hometown look was sloppy AF. Her princess look was just OK. And her naughty nighty looked like some shit Ethel Merman would wear today as a 109 year old corpse.

I didn't know about Farrah and Cynthia's history. It must be bittersweet to have this opportunity on the show to then be in the position to eliminate someone who means so much to you. I like Cynthia, but she doesn't have the skills to go the distance.

I don't know what went down in Atlanta, but they just about ruined Nina. At some point when they were back in the lounge, Nina physically turned away and wouldn't engage with anyone. Girl needs to move past it.

Valentina is so good and together. If she rocks Snatch Game, I'm going to declare the bitch to be a prodigy.

• Love 2

Well I'm over Alexis - officially - after that untucked. Blaming everyone for not tell her she sucked? She was also very mean to poor fragile Farrah when the girl just wanted to go away and learn her lyrics. I think this is the part where Nina turned away & I don't blame her.r at all, even though she was pretty stank in the regular episode 

• Love 3

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is off about this season.  Maybe it's the HD, maybe the move to VH1, the change in nights, the changes in filming pre-2016 US Election and airing now, the GaGa focused first episode, the curious case of Lucian Piane, the newly established pattern of returning queens, or what??  But something is awry.  Five episodes in and there have been no inspiring lip syncs.  There is no stand out queen.  The makeup and runway looks have, mostly, been harsh.  The Very Special Episode themes are getting 80s sitcom strong.  The challenges are beginning to feel recycled.   Another lipsyncing in stage performance together... 

Anyways, I thought the musical itself was cute, and they all did about as well as anyone would have expected their established characters to do.  Nobody impressed on the runway.  We got another lipsync to a mid tempo, awkward, dance song.  We got a swerve elimination.  It's all so blah.

UnTucked isn't providing any fun either.  Alexis is a pill.  Nina is a downer.  Cynthia Lee is repetitive.  Peppermint is there. 

• Love 9

Did anyone else notice the thick, bushy leg hair Aja was sporting in the Werkroom? I just assumed that drag queens keep their legs shaved on competitions like this, where they have to be in drag almost daily. It was a LOT of hair, y'all. Does pantyhose cover man-quantity leg hair? I am fairly ignorant on the subject.

Nina turning her back on 'em in Untucked definitely looked like a "Bitch, please" for Alexis demanding that even the girls on the bottom should stop what they're doing so she could read all the queens for not reading her over that boring-ass look. Again: Bitch, please.

I didn't hate Cynthia's LSFYL -- she was serving a little Madonna "Human Nature" in her bra and panties, and it worked for me. Better than whatever Farrah was doing over there.

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice the thick, bushy leg hair Aja was sporting in the Werkroom?

Is this why Aja's legs looked several shades lighter than the rest of her during the musical?

Aja legs.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears

I think the thing that's off this season has something to do with the editing. They're not really developing any real stories - they set up this whole Trinity vs Eureka thing, but then it never went anywhere, & then Eureka left. Either get it fully developed & resolved, or don't even bother bringing it up. Cynthia & Farrah had an existing relationship- would you even know that without watching untucked? If you know they're going to lip synch against each other, get that shit out there. Almost all the queens are behaving in very inconsistent, generic ways, if they're going to be a bitch, then portray them that way the whole time. Nina's meltdown, & to some degree Alexis's in untucked came out of nowhere. It seemed like they were setting Eureka up to be the unrepentant bitch, but now she's gone & rather than planning ahead, its like that said "we need a bitch, I know - Nina!"

• Love 2
On 4/22/2017 at 5:39 AM, Glaadrial said:

Eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes and Eureka's outburst was perfectly understandable to me. I knew exactly where she was coming from. It really was a missed opportunity for the skinny girls to point out shape shaming comes in all sizes and to invite Eureka to share in the conversation to compare notes on the feedback they all get from their relative perspectives. I put the onus on the skinny girls because, clearly, there were more of them; at least one of them should have recognized the comment as a defense mechanism. What I saw last episode was a huge gang up on Eureka. She was classy in this episode and took an opportunity to apologize and let the skinny girls have their moment (producer intervention?). Still, even then, they never considered that Eureka is also dealing with issues in regards to her size.

I think it would have been very risky to bring Eureka into the conversation, by asking about her own issues with food and body image. From what we've seen of her personality, she easily could have taken it as a personal affront.

Eureka's the one who chose to make a joke about Sasha having an eating disorder, so I see no problem with the girls with eating disorders having a conversation about their own issues. 

• Love 4

I think they tried to give Eureka the bitch edit, but it was very telling that when she was told she was leaving, the whole cast seemed VERY upset about it. Eureka was a big help in the workroom to girls who needed help, etc., so I think her edit was manipulated but that she's pretty well-loved. I do hope she comes back - it's a real bummer to have to go out like that and I was really looking forward to her Snatch Game.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2017 at 1:52 AM, Corgi-ears said:

Is this why Aja's legs looked several shades lighter than the rest of her during the musical?

Aja legs.jpg

Probably. She needs to look into figure skating tights. They tend be opaque and come in various skin tone colors.

i don't follow the kardashians so this was less funny to me. i agree with everyone who has said that this season seems "off." maybe it's just because i miss katya so much.

did sasha have an eating disorder in her 20's or was she just really thin? she said she used to have a lot of people saying she looked "anorexic" but you can be really thin without having an eating disorder. the way she talked about it, she made it seem like she just got accused of having one which she found hurtful, which does suck but isn't the same as having one. does anybody know definitively if she does have anorexia and just misspoke?

i find it funny they have so much britney stuff right after the season with derrick's berries.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is off about this season.  

I know.  The only real !star! is Valentina, but she has a subdued personality.  I guess everyone is kinda middle-of-the road. I miss the mini-challenges, they brought out a lot about the girls' personalities.

I don't get or like Nina Bonina's drag, with the skeleton face, huge boobs and MY HIPS.  I do, however, appreciate her being here if only that it gives Ru the chance to add multiple names onto Nina's name. She used to do that with...oh God, I'm old, who was that Queen she used to do that with--about 4 seasons ago?

Peppermint is cool but needs more OOMPH.  Sasha has great style and panache.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

it gives Ru the chance to add multiple names onto Nina's name. She used to do that with...oh God, I'm old, who was that Queen she used to do that with--about 4 seasons ago?

Was it Stacy Layne (Bryant) Matthews?

9 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I thought it was a young slender queen, often wore a red wig???  Elaborate costuming???

That would be Ivy Winters, I think. But Ru just went Ivvvvvvvvvy Wintersssssz!!

Agree with you about Nina's drag. It's all been a miss for me, including the construction paper.

I haven't wanted to start up the chorus of 'the season is boring' because I've been wondering if I'm just jaded from too many seasons, but I haven't been enthusiastic about a season since six (I was ALL IN for season six, and I've watched it many times).

Very nearly hated season 7, aside from Katya, that one young Instagram queen was hella annoying, as were her fans. At one point I actually had myself believing Ginger Minj had won (sometime after the fact) then realized no, it was Violet. 

Can't remember anyone from S8 except Bob the Drag Queen, can't remember who won. (Was it Bob?) Granted, the memory isn't what it used to be.

I don't know, been saying this since Season 7: what went wrong?

Am I just over it?

Has the available talent become too ... diluted? (I assume the deeply talented folks are still out there, but maybe they're harder to find now that everyone wants to stand out online in some way?)

Are they doing the editing/production poorly? Casting the wrong mix of types?

Was season six lightning in a bottle, and now everyone else seems dull?

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

Very nearly hated season 7, aside from Katya, that one young Instagram queen was hella annoying, as were her fans

PEARL!!! yeah, she was basically talent-less.  For me, she was the first Queen with a bigger online following than real life following.  I remember thinking, "this is a new trend here."  And that trend has lead to....AJA (Shudders)

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

With all the talk about Eureka getting injured, I totally missed how she did it.  What happened?  And Charlie was injured too?  She seemed fine, walking on those super high heels.

They showed a brief flashback and Eureka said she felt her knee pop during a split. Ouch. I heard Charlie had a broken rib, which wouldn't be too visibly apparent but it would definitely affect her breathing and core movement.

5 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

PEARL!!! yeah, she was basically talent-less.  For me, she was the first Queen with a bigger online following than real life following.  I remember thinking, "this is a new trend here."  And that trend has lead to....AJA (Shudders)

No joke, I saw a BoTS show last year and Pearl's bit was ... just to stand there with a record player during the warm-up and ... DJ, I guess.

(Ginger was the real standout of that live show for me, along with Adore (crowd ate her up, including some younger (I mean pre teen) fans) and surprisingly Phi Phi, who could be quite funny. (This was pre-AS2.) Violet also did a pretty sickening runway. Michelle was Michelle and said some nice, uplifting stuff about HB2 (sadly I'm in NC ... although things are sad everywhere). But Pearl just ... stood by a record player with a fan blowing in her face.) 

(Ginger was the real standout of that live show for me, 

I saw Ginger live at Atlantic City and she sang, and was great.  Very nice too.

And that trend has lead to....AJA (Shudders)

I want to qualify my quote here. Aja is NOT talentless, like Pearl is.  She a good performer and oustanding LFYL-er.  I was just commenting that Aja is also an Instagram/internet sensation, but in person her drag, when not Phottoshopped, is a bit....let's be charitable, rough.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Was it Stacy Layne (Bryant) Matthews?

Ru used to do that with (Newark LaGuardia) Kennedy Davenport.

@kieyra I'm kind of surprised that you didn't find season 8 memorable. Most of the people I know thought it was a welcome return to form after season 7 (bleeeeeeeeeech). Yes, Bob won and it was a bit of a coronation, but there was really something interesting about the top half of the queens in season 8. I didn't think there was a single queen skating by in the top, except Derrick Barry. It was Bob, Kim Chi, Naomi Smalls, Chi Chi, Thorgy, and Derrick. I think you can make a solid case for bringing Acid Betty, Robbie Turner, and Dax Exclamation Point back on a future season even though they finished in the bottom half of season 8.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5

ITA that this season is kinda off.  But I am growing to like Aja and Peppermint more and more.  While I also like Valentina I dont really get the mad love everyone showers her with....yeah she's super pretty and not an awful skank but idk I'm just not wild about her.  No T no shade but I'm glad Eureka is off my tv.  I am not buying the sudden turn around in her behavior.  I think she knew she was going and just wanted to save face and go out on a high note.  Meh...