Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Steven and Justin's Story, Part 1

• Start Topic

Steven seems to view other people in a detached way, like objects. Like the human experience is not actually REAL to him. He's like an alien that's trying to emulate human emotions because he can't really feel them.  Sadness, happiness, anger, all his reactions seem odd and insincere; like he's imitating what he thinks sadness looks like for example, but he can't actually feel it. Nothing means anything. 

I wonder what horrors lurk in his (and Justin's) past to force him (and Justin) into this level of disassociation and detachment. I agree with posters upthread about possible abuse, both physical and sexual. Whatever happened, unfortunately Steven has devolved in a dangerous, sociopathic monster, a fact that his father is oblivious to but to Justin (and everyone else) it's quite obvious. 

I like think there's hope for everyone, but no matter what happens, with rehab or weight loss or therapy, I don't think Steven can ever be saved. All therapy would do is help him to become an even better liar and enable him to just parrot what he thinks other people want to hear.  And weight loss would just make him more mobile and more dangerous. 

Hopefully there will be some way he can be institutionalized in a high security, controlled environment. 

For a very, very long time. 

Edited by Anchorabu
  • Love 19

Interesting. OWN re-aired his Dr. Phil episode just now.

And yep, this show aired what, 8,9 years ago? This is our boy in all his glory, Dad in tow. Nothing has changed. He has to share with the group some deep, dark secret and he chooses to admit he's bisexual (ewww). Not past abuse or alcoholic mom.

#freeJustin

• Love 5

OMG that article linked above- a summary:

For the past 80 days, Assanti said, he was getting the help he needed at Rhode Island Hospital. There, he lost 20 pounds. But after Assanti violated his care plan by ordering pizza, he said the hospital told him he could no longer stay. "I was supposed to stay there and lose all my weight and get down to 550 to get the gastric bypass," said Assanti. "That was their plan." His father, Steven Veillette, said taking his son home will be a death sentence. "If he comes home and I do get him up the stairs somehow, someway he's going to go right back to his eating habits," Veillette said.

Wow, just wow, 20 pounds in 80 days he should have lost AT LEAST 100 in that time. He had the SAME deal that Dr. Now was offering him.  Then his father says "he doesn't know how he will get the food into his room" really? YOU are offering him a death sentence.  He'd been ordering multiple pizza and I would think after the first few times, the hospital told the pizza place NO.  I can imagine the dad was helping him order it, then Boo Hoo I have no where to go. What a waste of space.

The photos of the devil worship are to get a reaction from people who see it, that is all. Everything he does is to get a reaction. Someone needs to hit up upside the head and  tell him what a lazy disgusting piece of shit he is.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

Maybe he ate it.  Has anyone notice that so many of the people featured on the show have small dogs?  I'm always afraid someone will roll over on the poor little things..

I remember one show where the patient (can't recall who) was driven somewhere in their van, and their dog was with them. When they went to get back in the car, they backed up to the backseat and sort of threw themself backward. I heard a small "yelp" and then I don't recall seeing their dog in the episode anymore. 

I could be wrong. And I hope I am! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Anchorabu said:

So was just peeking at Steven's FB page, and there's this. So, he's a Satanist now? ??

IMG_6817.JPG

More proof to me that he is basically a troll. Trying to shock us all. 

2 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

We're probably supporting all three of them.

I read this as "all three of him."

• Love 8
On 3/30/2017 at 0:31 AM, swankie said:

I truly believe that if he wasn't a morbidly obese hosebeast he would be a serial killer. 

I actually said this to my DH!  This guy was a sadist.  I could endure Manson as a house guest before I could handle this dude on just Facetime!  Holy shit!

• Love 4

Did anyone notice that in the FB post he says the hospital discharged him because they couldn't handle his weight? Pity play. Fact is, they couldn't handle his attitude. Deliberate misrepresentation as a victim.

I for one found this show educational. I got to see a sociopath in real life, in a variety of situations. For those of you who have had that in your real life, my deepest sympathy. I haven't, so it was useful. A model to keep in the back of my mind. (And hopefully only there!)

I really hope Justin can heal. He's going to need a long course of therapy. I'm just not sure he can go too far with Steven still anywhere in the picture.

• Love 6

I think I can only see limited stuff because I am not on Facebook, but I saw something interesting.

First, why is Steven's father's last name different?  Its Steven Veillette ? Second, he is on facebook and there is a Steve right underneath it. There is a photo of a young man, long blonde hair but THAT NOSE !  is the same as both Stevens.  Looks like another son.

• Love 2
Just now, ClareWalks said:

What was the episode title? They might replay it on Monday and I will definitely DVR it if they do!

I think its called The House of Hate.   They showed it twice today, but often repeat episodes countless times. Its a two-parter. You can find it on Youtube too.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2017 at 9:29 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

He's making James K. look like a prince in comparison. 

Is it just me, or does Steven Sr. look like a made guy from an episode of The Sopranos?

No it is not just you. And the minute he father showed up for some reason Rhode Island came to mind. But when he was telling Steven about how the one pea he was going to get could roll off the plate... not only was I rolling it totally reminded me of Leroy in The Bad Seed. Remember how he was telling Rhoda about the stick bloodhounds and the little pink electric chairs? I don't know what Steven's father is all about but he, too, is a different sort of character. I bet the boys have dirt on him.

• Love 6

Perhaps maybe his dad just gave him what he wants in hope that it would kill him?? Because the guy can't be obvious to just shove food down his throat in hopes that he eventually dies.  He has to play the part of caring dad that wants his son to get better.  

But how is it that he's almost 800 lbs and seems to get around ok when he needs to but some other people are 600 lbs and bedridden?

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I think its called The House of Hate.   They showed it twice today, but often repeat episodes countless times. Its a two-parter. You can find it on Youtube too.

Moochas grassyass!

• Love 3

I've been in a situation where I was being threatened that someone would commit suicide or accuse me of abusing them unless I gave them money. When you adopt a child with fetal alcohol, it sometimes comes with the territory. Ten grand later I decided I no longer cared if they attempted suicide. Jail would have been a relief after the exhaustion of being extorted. After I stopped caring, they threw a lot of fits, but didn't hurt themselves and the cops never came to the door. Of course I don't have a criminal record and Steven Sr. does apparently. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, gunderda said:

Perhaps maybe his dad just gave him what he wants in hope that it would kill him?? Because the guy can't be obvious to just shove food down his throat in hopes that he eventually dies.  He has to play the part of caring dad that wants his son to get better.  

But how is it that he's almost 800 lbs and seems to get around ok when he needs to but some other people are 600 lbs and bedridden?

I too was amazed at how mobile Steven was. However gunderda, did you notice that when they first weighed him and there was a close up of the scale, the readout was 730 pounds? If you watched the James K episode you'll recall that his starting weight was 735 pounds. So he was only five pounds less than James and mobile while James was completely physically dependent on others and bed bound.

Any decent human being would feel lucky to still be able to walk at that weight and jump at the chance to get free help to begin to live a normal life, but not Steven.

• Love 5

I recall Steven said something about being very tall.  So he could carry the weight better and he is fairly young.  Or perhaps it is his own belief in his sexiness that makes him keep movin' and shakin' and dancin' and filmin' to make us feel like hurlin'.

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Second, he is on facebook and there is a Steve right underneath it. There is a photo of a young man, long blonde hair but THAT NOSE !  is the same as both Stevens.  Looks like another son.

I saw that.  No info shown but comments on his pics are in French.  He is probably Canadian and just happens to have that unfortunates name.  Could be a nephew.  On why the names are different, It's possible that Moms remarried and the new husband/abuser adopted the blob.

• Love 1

How much do you want to bet that Steven is selling his pain pills for pizza money? The nurse at his apt claimed the bottle had just been filled and had 100 pills...even for a druggie, 100 within a day or two seems excessive. 

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I recall Steven said something about being very tall.  So he could carry the weight better and he is fairly young.  Or perhaps it is his own belief in his sexiness that makes him keep movin' and shakin' and dancin' and filmin' to make us feel like hurlin'.

Oh, Lord, you almost made me lose my frahhed rice. Speaking of our dear friend James, if he was telling the truth about his fall and bad ankle, that might explain the difference. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

I saw that.  No info shown but comments on his pics are in French.  He is probably Canadian and just happens to have that unfortunates name.  Could be a nephew.  On why the names are different, It's possible that Moms remarried and the new husband/abuser adopted the blob.

Thanks for looking. I can't see much because I am not on Facebook so I didn't see the writing.

Looking further I found a Donna Veillette who looks like she could be the mom?   

Love to hear her side of the story because I am not sure the brothers version is 100% true.  The father gives me an abuser vibe.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

If you watched the James K episode you'll recall that his starting weight was 735 pounds. So he was only five pounds less than James and mobile while James was completely physically dependent on others and bed bound.

There've been other immobile ones, can't remember names, who've weighed less than others who got around.
Steven's mobility seems to depend on his whims, because living alone, he'd have to be somewhat mobile, but in the hospital he seemed to stay in bed.
On the other hand, he's not someone you'd want roaming around the halls.

• Love 4

Since it's come up we just wanted to remind everyone, new and seasoned, about the no politics talk here.

Specifically, this:
Where a show has zero political content, political talk, jibes or mentions in posts are off-topic and subject to moderation, this includes Small Talk topics.

Posts containing political talk will be removed. Please report posts that have political talk so the other mods may step in if we are unable to. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, satrunrose said:

Does anyone have any insight about what was up with Steven's handshake obsession? Clearly it has something to do with control and manipulation (like the crocodile tears) but I can't say I've ever seen manipulating via handshake before. We saw him asking Dr Now at least twice after he had been read the riot act, so it seems to be a tool reserved for authority figures who see through his b.s.

I wasn't going to say anything but I remember an older man at an assisted living center that always wanted to shake my hand when I would go visit someone there.  I don't know how many times I shook the man's hand, but one day when I was speaking with one of the people in the office she saw me shake his hand and told me in front of him not to shake it again because he was a chronic masterbater and had been an alleged sexual predator when he was younger and enjoyed the feeling of conning visitors to shake his hand.  I damn near vomited when he smiled and winked before he walked away and that was the beginning of Bubbly's aversion to shaking hands.

I don't think Steven can find his stinky pinky much less do anything with it, but I do know predators get off on power and everything with Steven is a power play.  It may be a kind of test to feel out if someone is going to politely aquiesce to his demands?

Edited by bubbly
Edited cause words
  • Love 18
15 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

How much do you want to bet that Steven is selling his pain pills for pizza money? The nurse at his apt claimed the bottle had just been filled and had 100 pills...even for a druggie, 100 within a day or two seems excessive. 

Great point! He probably is.

The only person I felt sorry for in this show way Dr Now.  I thought Dr. Now at any point was going to say, "fuck it, I'm too old for this shit."  I'm not fond of him as a person, but personality aside, he helps a lot of people (many of the people who died would have probably died soon anyway--this surgery is a gamble when you are +600).

I actually have no sympathy for Justin  he has no motivation to help himself and would just be happy as a clam to sit around at home all day and play with his toys.  I have no patience for these people.

Also, I think this is my 3 season of being active on this forum and for the first time ever, I have not been able to keep up on the comments, but don't worry about me, keep 'em coming. 

• Love 11

Did Steven ever get to see a therapist or counselor via Dr. Now? I would have been interested in seeing if when he meets a counselor (I have to assume during his many hospital stays with his bad behaviors, a social worker at least was called in?), does he act all sweet like he did when he first meet Dr. Now, is he angry Steven or the crying Steven like when his dad left?

There seems to be something special about pizza to him. Didn't it say something at the start of the episode when Steven was young and the police was called , everything was dropped if his dad would buy him a pizza? I keep thinking pizza has to somehow comfort him? Did his childhood abusers give him pizza to keep him quiet? I don't think much of anything will stop this guys behavior, but getting off the pizza or finding the root of the pizza addiction might help the weight loss.

4 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

Great point! He probably is.

The only person I felt sorry for in this show way Dr Now.  I thought Dr. Now at any point was going to say, "fuck it, I'm too old for this shit."  I'm not fond of him as a person, but personality aside, he helps a lot of people (many of the people who died would have probably died soon anyway--this surgery is a gamble when you are +600).

I actually have no sympathy for Justin  he has no motivation to help himself and would just be happy as a clam to sit around at home all day and play with his toys.  I have no patience for these people.

Also, I think this is my 3 season of being active on this forum and for the first time ever, I have not been able to keep up on the comments, but don't worry about me, keep 'em coming. 

You need social skills or at least a peer group to sell dope.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, bubbly said:

I wasn't going to say anything but I remember an older man at an assisted living center that always wanted to shake my hand when I would go visit someone there.  I don't know how many times I shook the man's hand, but one day when I was speaking with one of the people in the office she saw me shake his hand and told me in front of him not to shake it again because he was a chronic masterbater and had been an alleged sexual predator when he was younger and enjoyed the feeling of conning visitors to shake his hand.  I damn near vomited when he smiled and winked before he walked away and that was the beginning of Bubbly's aversion to shaking hands.

I don't think Steven can find his stinky pinky much less do anything with it, but I do know predators get off on power and everything with Steven is a power play.

EWWWW....just.....EWWWWW....

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Granny58 said:

do you?  can't it be done online, maybe Craigslist?

Maybe the deep web and bitcoin?  I don't know much about Craigslist other than the murderer that used it.

28 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Did Steven ever get to see a therapist or counselor via Dr. Now? I would have been interested in seeing if when he meets a counselor (I have to assume during his many hospital stays with his bad behaviors, a social worker at least was called in?), does he act all sweet like he did when he first meet Dr. Now, is he angry Steven or the crying Steven like when his dad left?

There seems to be something special about pizza to him. Didn't it say something at the start of the episode when Steven was young and the police was called , everything was dropped if his dad would buy him a pizza? I keep thinking pizza has to somehow comfort him? Did his childhood abusers give him pizza to keep him quiet? I don't think much of anything will stop this guys behavior, but getting off the pizza or finding the root of the pizza addiction might help the weight loss.

They said he turned the psychologist away several times. Dr. Now said he needed to talk to someone and asked if he had.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anchorabu said:

I remember one show where the patient (can't recall who) was driven somewhere in their van, and their dog was with them. When they went to get back in the car, they backed up to the backseat and sort of threw themself backward. I heard a small "yelp" and then I don't recall seeing their dog in the episode anymore. 

Just a short thread derail...this awful story reminded me a bit of this cartoon. Okay, back to the discussion!

IMG_2155.JPG

• Love 19

Steven doesn't have the slightest interest in losing weight. He has an interest in causing mayhem, getting people to do his bidding, having a team of workers available to provide for his daily needs that the rest of us do for ourselves, growing his "fan base", and trying to get his ugly mug on television as much as possible.

Why is everyone going out of their way to help this subhuman turd lose weight when he has clearly not spent one moment learning about what he needs to do to actually do this one thing?

I spent two hours watching him provoke, offend, frighten, anger and abuse every human being that has come into contact with him, but I did not see him do one single thing for himself to lose weight. 

Just like a poster said upthread, we all need to stop paying attention to this troll and throw him in a barn so he can shit in the straw with the other animals. 

• Love 16

The part where he went back to the hospital for drugs and was laughing and smiling while saying his pain was a "9" cracked me up. What a knob. When I was in labor I made it to 8 cm with no drugs and my water wouldn't break and I could only scream "fuck fuck fuck fuck" over and over and I still described my pain as "an 8 1/2." Like Princess said, if you were a 9, you would be on the floor barely able to breathe.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

I would have been interested in seeing if when he meets a counselor (I have to assume during his many hospital stays with his bad behaviors, a social worker at least was called in?),

I think he's way beyond a quick fix, probably years as an inpatient, to even make a start.

1 hour ago, bubbly said:

You need social skills or at least a peer group to sell dope.

I see lots of dope selling on ID and especially, The First 48, and if you put word out, they will come.  I think he'd have to have a regular contact who wanted the continuous supply, who'd pay him, rather than just kill him and take it, but I doubt if he'd last very long unless he's "connected," and even then, a someone who needed a fix badly would kill him and not worry about it.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The part where he went back to the hospital for drugs and was laughing and smiling while saying his pain was a "9" cracked me up. What a knob. When I was in labor I made it to 8 cm with no drugs and my water wouldn't break and I could only scream "fuck fuck fuck fuck" over and over and I still described my pain as "an 8 1/2." Like Princess said, if you were a 9, you would be on the floor barely able to breathe.

My brother reported his pain level at a 20 (on the 1-10 scale) while he was propped up in his hospital bed, eating lunch, and carrying on different calm conversations with 3 people.  Coincidentally, I saw a woman with a t-shirt on yesterday that said, "Hypochondriacs make me sick."  I nearly knocked her down to steal it.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

My brother reported his pain level at a 20 (on the 1-10 scale) while he was propped up in his hospital bed, eating lunch, and carrying on different calm conversations with 3 people.  Coincidentally, I saw a woman with a t-shirt on yesterday that said, "Hypochondriacs make me sick."  I nearly knocked her down to steal it.

Ugh, those types of folks. On a drama scale of 1 to 10, they are a sideways 8.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Why didn't they have that pain chart scale with the faces in front of Steven.  Smiling appears to be a 0-2?

My son had a compound broken arm and the doctor was trying to give him iv pain meds and my son studied the chart hanging in his ER room and said he was a 5-6 because he wasn't crying and didn't want the meds. I really think the staff wants Steven happy and sedate and just give in and give him the meds.

pain_scale_graphic_499_202.jpg.9c255e665b12ad3cb8cf7154d62fcec1.jpg

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

My brother reported his pain level at a 20 (on the 1-10 scale) while he was propped up in his hospital bed, eating lunch, and carrying on different calm conversations with 3 people.  

And that's exactly why God created women to give birth..

• Love 10
On 3/30/2017 at 0:04 PM, lovesnark said:

That would have been the logical thing to do. Sadly, urine is a bodily fluid and has to be cleaned up by someone trained in biohazard protcol. I wish they could have left it there and made him deal with it. You know he did it on  purpose.

My ex-sister-in-law is a nurse, and also a nasty b***h.  She told us about a blind patient who was making her way down a hallway to a bathroom... the patient didn't make it, and peed on the floor.   Said nurse's reaction:  "You did that on purpose!"  She gave the patient supplies and made her clean it up.  She was quite proud of herself for it.

As far as the Steven urine dump goes, it was more likely to be someone other than a literal nurse who cleaned it up.

• Love 1

Finally saw it & so he's a drug addict. I see why they aired this; probably to show how people can have multiple addictions & to witness the system being abused & how it can be done. But that also explains his abusive behavior; addicts abuse, use & manipulate whoever then can to get whatever they want.  I hope he went to rehab & follows through, but he didn't look ready or interested.

Both brothers have huge psych issues from the abuse, neglect, & abandonment in childhood. As others here have said I can only imagine what those boyfriends did to them, & what Steven learned to pass along regarding abuse to Justin.

They're both emotionally stunted & have huge abandonment issues. That mom abandoned them over, & over, & over again, even to when he was older & moved to MA to be with her, & she ditched him then too.

From what I saw the father is abusive as well, & a mess in his own way also affecting both brothers. He's keeping them both emotionally messed up & seems to have no self awareness of his own behavior, so everyone is stuck.

Such a mess.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, chopperchopperbell said:

I actually felt sorry for Steven :-/  The scene where he had pulled all his hair out really made me feel some empathy for him.  As loathesome as he is as a person, he's obviously suffering.  A happy person doesn't systematically pull their hair out like that.  I also wondered how much his boredom must affect his mental health.  He needed something to do with his time besides stare at a tablet screen.  He is obviously depressed, addicted to drugs, and flirting with suicide.

I'm 100% convinced that pulling his hair out is a manipulative gesture, as is "suicide".  He could at some point commit suicide, but it would be a miscalculation, not an intention, on his part.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So he was only five pounds less than James and mobile while James was completely physically dependent on others and bed bound.

James also had congestive heart failure, which makes everyday small tasks like washing, getting dressed, walking around and such a big project. You get winded and tired easily. That might explain the mobility differences. Plus, James is what, 12 years older than Steven.

• Love 2