Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Steven and Justin's Story, Part 1

• Start Topic

Well, the dad is as nuts as Steven. The family dynamic seems like it's been fucked for a long time; the way he needles Steven isn't right, and of course neither is the enabling. Justin seems like a pretty normal guy with some issues he could work on, and he seems pretty clear on the codependent crazy between his dad and bro. 

In short: Run, Justin! Fate may have landed you with parents who didn't know what the hell they were doing, and a brother who was allowed to become a monster and a bully. But you clearly "get it," and after a lifetime of hell, you deserve AND CAN HAVE so much better! Please take care of yourself!

ETA: No doubt Steven will end up back in RI. Justin should install nannycams in all rooms to document his brother's behavior and (I hope) the fact that Dad does not hit Steven. Then any threats to call the police will be thwarted. They should also invest in a couple of supersoakers and use them to discipline Steven when he is abusive, like when you spritz a cat to make them jump down off the counter. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I bet there's some head-scratching at the sheriff's department, and they try and figure what to do with him if they evict him.
I'd guess he becomes a charge upon Houston or their county.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a County jail or State prison in any State in the Nation set up to handle someone of his size.  Not to mention, God forbid, anything horrific was to happen to him while in their "possession" that didn't wind up ending his life.  He would sue and sue and sue.  If he perished, Dad will sue and sue and sue.

But just imagine for a moment, Steven in the care of the State penal system.  NO youtube!  No cell phone!  No non-stop PIZZA.  I wouldn't want to be incarcerated next to him.  Like someone said up thread...his is most likely a poop thrower.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

In short: Run, Justin! Fate may have landed you with parents who didn't know what the hell they were doing, and a brother who was allowed to become a monster and a bully. But you clearly "get it," and after a lifetime of hell, you deserve AND CAN HAVE so much better! Please take care of yourself!

Now that Big Brother has been kicked out of Dr. Now's hospital, this would be the perfect time for Justin to ask Dr. Now for help. He might have anxiety issues and may need to communicate with Dr. Now with his back turned to him and his phone on selfie mode, but I think he would be compliant and appreciative of any help he got. 

Of course, Dr. Now and the hospital staff might have had their fill of the Assanti clan.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I am only half kidding here because at this point I do not think any conventional treatment would help Steven.

Find a place way out in the country where Steven cannot hospital shop or order pizza delivery.

Has to do chores before breakfast. No chores done, no breakfast.

Aerobic activity:   Steven runs/walks in back of a tractor with a pizza dangling from a hook.  If he completes the run, he gets a light lunch of a piece of turkey cut to look like a slice of pizza.

Work.  Has to work at anything he is told to do and all money goes to paying off debts.  A full 8 hour day is required.

Stevens father is not allowed any contact.

Dinner:   More turkey cut into little pepperoni shapes. Salad, no dressing.

Desert consists of writing letters of apology to hundreds of people.

Shower: outside hose down until he can act like a human being.

Bed: Stall with hay until he pays in full for debt on rental bed.

No phones, no media devices, no nuthin.

Repeat daily until 550 lbs. are lost and kept off for a full year.

Actually I was thinking the same thing.....hose him down....make him sleep in a barn......it would take extreme measuers...also no internet, no contact with his "fans"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dru Blood said:

I'm so not attacking anyone here.  Quite honestly, this show has, in my opinion, always had faint elements of "idiots on parade" going on.  Sadly, eventually they were bound to get down to the bottom of the barrel.

I also might point out that as humans have always done, we sometimes watch or become fascinated by things we really shouldn't.

I think the addition of the second hour has added, at times, way too ugly family interactions that we don't need to see.  Can you imagine how awful a two hour version of Zsalynn and her husband?  Or the real dynamic in Christina's family of leeches?  Or Bette Jo and Mr. Hamburger Helper whining and whining?  Even though the one hour version left a lot unexplained, it didn't matter.  We saw progress or lack of, which is what the show is about. 

I don't get all the complaining from viewers at all.  Just don't watch.   

• Love 2

I'm rewatching Melissa's episode, and the contrast between her and Steven is night and day. She is grateful for the help and actively changed her lifestyle. Yes, she struggles, but that's normal. She tried. She didn't like having people clean her. 

Steven, on the other hand, relishes in the attention makes no effort, and loves having people cater to his whims. How things have changed.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a County jail or State prison in any State in the Nation set up to handle someone of his size.

People who are evicted aren't jailed.  Usually their furnishings are placed on the street, or are warehoused (areas differ), and the person's usually not there, but would be removed forcibly if necessary, I suppose.
But I don't know if they could leave Steven at the curb.

And does anyone know what, if any, legal obligation a parent has to adult children who haven't been ruled incompetent, but may have healh problems.

• Love 2

So maybe I'm just cranky today because I have to go pay taxes, but this guy is just driving me nuts.

He's so entitled. Not just the Facebook post, but the clips of him in the hospital. He's berating the nurses, calling them c***s because he called for ten minutes and no one answered his summons.  In the episode, he's so hostile because no one came to turn down his lights. Does he think this is the penthouse at the Ritz? It's a hospital. People go there when they're sick. When they require expert care. The staff have jobs, for which they've trained, studied, and worked. He is not a Sultan and they are not his toys.

The thing is, he can walk! Don't want to lay in a bed pan? Then go to the bathroom! Want the lights off? Reach over and turn them off!!

Why he thinks he deserves a PCA to do his dishes in the brand new apartment he doesn't pay for is mind boggling!

With some of these people, I really don't mind that they get disability. Yes, it sucks that they don't work, and enjoy benefits designed for non self induced conditions. But I wouldn't trade places with them for a lifetime of financial security. They are not enjoying, even for a minute, the benefit of their bargain.

Steven though, is another story entirely.  The fact that this sociopath is ordering pizza on my dime is excruciating. The fact that he believes he has a right to complain about the quality of services we pay for and he doesn't need is lunacy. That anyone is buying into this bullshit at all is disturbing.

Edited by Hockeymom
  • Love 24
15 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I am only half kidding here because at this point I do not think any conventional treatment would help Steven.

Find a place way out in the country where Steven cannot hospital shop or order pizza delivery.

Has to do chores before breakfast. No chores done, no breakfast.

Aerobic activity:   Steven runs/walks in back of a tractor with a pizza dangling from a hook.  If he completes the run, he gets a light lunch of a piece of turkey cut to look like a slice of pizza.

Work.  Has to work at anything he is told to do and all money goes to paying off debts.  A full 8 hour day is required.

Stevens father is not allowed any contact.

Dinner:   More turkey cut into little pepperoni shapes. Salad, no dressing.

Desert consists of writing letters of apology to hundreds of people.

Shower: outside hose down until he can act like a human being.

Bed: Stall with hay until he pays in full for debt on rental bed.

No phones, no media devices, no nuthin.

Repeat daily until 550 lbs. are lost and kept off for a full year.

Love, love, love this Cherrio! Too funny and well said. And may I add one more thing? NO PILLS!!! Maybe an occasional Tylenol but even then they should be doled out to him, don't even leave him the bottle. That should take care of his "Level 9" pain!

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

Steven, on the other hand, relishes in the attention makes no effort, and loves having people cater to his whims. How things have changed

not to excuse his behavior (because there is no excuse), I still think this circles back to his childhood.  He does ANYTHING for attention now...based on lack of attention as a child?  Even bad attention is better than no attention when you are attention starved.  Plus, I think that created anger issues and he's taking it out on everybody.    To repeat myself, he needs psych care, he needs to own his problems, and the enabling needs to end.  But I THINK I can still understand the root problem. 

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I don't remember him having a cat...

Maybe he ate it.  Has anyone noticed that so many of the people featured on the show have small dogs?  I'm always afraid someone will roll over on the poor little things..

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a County jail or State prison in any State in the Nation set up to handle someone of his size.  Not to mention, God forbid, anything horrific was to happen to him while in their "possession" that didn't wind up ending his life.  He would sue and sue and sue.  If he perished, Dad will sue and sue and sue.

But just imagine for a moment, Steven in the care of the State penal system.  NO youtube!  No cell phone!  No non-stop PIZZA.  I wouldn't want to be incarcerated next to him.  Like someone said up thread...his is most likely a poop thrower.

Why would a homeless Steven go to prison?  You have to commit a crime first; we don't just round up indigents and lock them up.  If he became some sort of ward of the state, he'd probably go to some ugly, depressing, state run nursing facility.  It'd be kinda like a prison but not QUITE as bad.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

I am tickled to death to watch part 2. The golf cart scene alone has me giddy in anticipation. 

Re: the supersized episode last night...

"Steven does not want to go to a drug rehab because he doesn't want to abandon his cat."

ME: I don't remember him having a cat...

MY SON: Maybe it got lost in one of his folds...

Or, he ate the poor thing!

BTW, what time was the Supersized episode shown last night? I really wanted to watch that one but when I checked the TV schedule, the only M600PL episode scheduled was Penny at 7:00 pm EST and there was no way in Hell I was gonna watch her again; absolutely detest her and watching her horrible example of motherhood with her sweet little boy truly disturbs me.

I feel free to snark on Steven, and others, because to me, this is a fun place to talk about the shows and people we love to watch, and many times, love to hate.

Why shouldn't I watch trashy, tacky sometimes, and snark on it if I wish.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

Maybe he ate it.  Has anyone notice that so many of the people featured on the show have small dogs?  I'm always afraid someone will roll over on the poor little things..

Tee hee Miss Ruth, was posting the same thing about the cat before I saw your post. Great minds think alike, LOL!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

Steven though, is another story entirely.  The fact that this sociopath is ordering pizza on my dime is excruciating. The fact that he believes he has a right to complain about the quality of services we pay for and he doesn't need is lunacy. That anyone is buying into this bullshit at all is disturbing.

He's not ordering that pizza on your dime.  He's doing it on his father's.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Love, love, love this Cherrio! Too funny and well said. And may I add one more thing? NO PILLS!!! Maybe an occasional Tylenol but even then they should be doled out to him, don't even leave him the bottle. That should take care of his "Level 9" pain!

Totally agree. No pills of course.    And anyone who has to come in contact with him has a cattle prod and will use it liberally.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Not so sure about that. There was the scene where his father opened the closet and was surprised to find all the pizza boxes. He didn't buy those.

If he had dad's credit card number, Steven wouldn't need to be calling from Texas to have his dad order.

Edited by Hockeymom
33 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I don't get all the complaining from viewers at all.  Just don't watch.   

Oh, come on. Someone always has to say this in a thread. Obviously people here watch the show, each for his or her own reasons. The forum is a place to express oneself- whether it be shock, disgust, empathy, curiosity, or any of a number of other reactions. If anyone really is grossed out or fed up enough, they will indeed turn off the TV.  We all know how to do that.

For those of us who are morbidly fascinated by the program, we should feel free to say whatever the hell we wish here.  

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I wouldn't bet any money that all 3 of them aren't manipulating the system for as much as they can get. Both legally and illegally.

• Love 9
Just now, KateHearts said:

Oh, come on. Someone always has to say this in a thread. Obviously people here watch the show, each for his or her own reasons. The forum is a place to express oneself- whether it be shock, disgust, empathy, curiosity, or any of a number of other reactions. If anyone really is grossed out or fed up enough, they will indeed turn off the TV.  We all know how to do that.

For those of us who are morbidly fascinated by the program, we should feel free to say whatever the hell we wish here.  

I didn't state my point clearly.  I totally agree with what you say and this is why I watch the show.

It's the complaints about the production that I don't understand.  That's all.  Carry on.  

• Love 2
On 3/30/2017 at 11:50 AM, meow-mah-leg said:

Why didn't he tell Justin to look Dr.Now in the eye when he came in. Why didn't he tell him that it's rude to stay on the phone when the Doctor talks to you?

He was watching his dad and Dr. Now through the phone camera.  That looked like a real indicator of mental illness to me.

17 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I bet they never tip the pizza delivery man.

I bet the man who owns the Domino's franchise close to Steven's house is the happiest man in the world.

14 hours ago, Dru Blood said:

Gardendiva, do you also suspect that the root of Steven's own behavior could also have been sexual abuse from an adult?  This person is extremely vile, but I swear this is not the sort of behavior someone is born with.  This is nurture rather then nature.  I think he needs serious mental help but his walls are so high and so thick NO ONE will ever be able to break them to get in and figure out what causes his behavior, plus he loves this attention he is getting on some level, why get better and have to live like a normal person.

I assumed that there must be a nature element--meaning some inborn mental illness--but maybe it's a perfect storm of both?

• Love 4

Okay, I watched it, and I try to keep up with the posts here on every episode.  But I was exhausted by James K's thread, so I only made it through the first 4 pages on this thread before my brain begged me to stop.  However, I do have one opinion (which I don't know if anyone else has expressed yet, so I'm sharing it).

There are two reasons why people behave this badly.  They are evil, or they are ill.  I don't see Steven as ill, but I do think Justin exhibits mental illness due to childhood abuse.  Steven chooses his behavior.  

• Love 3

I can see why his bed broke on the way to Texas. I have that exact model of hospital bed and the bed is only rated to go up to 600 pounds and that includes the mattress which is heavy. He is 800 plus pounds so something had to give.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, auntjess said:

People who are evicted aren't jailed.

I never said people who are evicted should go to jail.

32 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Why would a homeless Steven go to prison?  You have to commit a crime first; we don't just round up indigents and lock them up.

I NEVER said homeless Steven should go to jail.  STOP putting words in my mouth.

I was only observing that the prison system is woefully under prepared to handle ANY criminal of his size.  STOP attacking me.  If you don't like what I say...block me.

The entire family is nuts.  There is not hope because you need to WANT to change.  This person is getting so much attention from all over the place.  Even if it's negative attention he is getting it.  As a tax payer it upsets me that we are paying for this piece of crap who does not want to change his situation. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

I NEVER said homeless Steven should go to jail.  STOP putting words in my mouth.

I was only observing that the prison system is woefully under prepared to handle ANY criminal of his size.  STOP attacking me.  If you don't like what I say...block me.

Chill out.  I wasn't attacking you.  You responded to a post about Steven getting evicted with ponderings of how the prison system would handle a man his size.  You seemed to be conflating the ideas and saying that you thought he would go to jail, not that he should.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

Sorry, I thought that's what you meant, because I said the sheriff would wonder what they'd do with him if they evicted him, because they could hardly leave a guy in shape on the curb, and you mentioned jails or prison.

12 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

You seemed to be conflating the ideas and saying that you thought he would go to jail, not that he should.

I'm sorry.  No.  I know that this Country doesn't incarcerate people for being poor, yet.  Steven wouldn't go to jail for being evicted.  Drug use, maybe.  Physical assault, maybe.  That is why I commented on the inability of a jail system being able to handle Steven.  He has shown a propensity for at least one of those 2 stated reasons.  He acts like he might be physically violent, but I haven't seen anything yet.  Just the aftermath of what he might have done to Justin.

5 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Sorry, I thought that's what you meant, because I said the sheriff would wonder what they'd do with him if they evicted him, because they could hardly leave a guy in shape on the curb, and you mentioned jails or prison.

No need to apologize.  You are completely right.  In the State I live in IT IS the sheriff who handles evictions, AND THEY DON'T arrest people.  MY mistake.

Edited by Dru Blood
typo
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, EastCoast4Life said:

As a Rhode Island tax payer, it sickens me to think that I have actually paid towards this giant toddler's benefits. The sob stories his dad told the radio after he got kicked out of RI Hospital, were ridiculous. Here is a local article about Steven living in an SUV trunk, because he had no where to go. 

http://turnto10.com/news/local/only-on-10-800-pound-cranston-man-needs-new-home-10-07-2015

How far away are you from Chico's Monkey Farm?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Or, he ate the poor thing!

BTW, what time was the Supersized episode shown last night? I really wanted to watch that one but when I checked the TV schedule, the only M600PL episode scheduled was Penny at 7:00 pm EST and there was no way in Hell I was gonna watch her again; absolutely detest her and watching her horrible example of motherhood with her sweet little boy truly disturbs me.

I actually threw things at the tv the first time i watched Penny. 

• Love 3

From my experience regarding state penal systems, Steven would NEVER be housed in a jail/prison.  He would immediately be placed in an "infirmary"/hospital setting.  There he would be "managed" to suit the institutional protocols and procedures.  These are clinical settings; HOWEVER, he would NOT be allowed to behave in "inappropriate" ways and if they had to isolate him (with clinical oversight, to be sure), they would.  Once you lose your freedom and wind up in custody the rules change drastically.  Personally, I don't believe Steven has the bodily dexterity/quick movements of limbs to commit a violent crime on, say his bro/father.  That presupposes they don't let him anywhere near MATCHES!!  They would anticipate what he was going to do and get out of his way.  However, he would be quick to report "abuse" of father/bro and I believe that might be a problem for THEM.  It's not like they could get a TRO (temporary restraining order) against him.  His size and med conditions would probably preclude any judge from granting the father/bro relief.  This is a tragic family situation that has no easy resolution and has been in process since the DAY STEVEN WAS BORN!!  Remember the play:  "The Bad Seed???"

• Love 5

Wonder why they bothered with the "Supersized" episode except to get us to tune in a second time.  The only bit of extra information they showed was that after Dr. Now told Stephen he was being kicked out, he took Steve's call button away.  Sweet!

Edited by LuciaMia
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

They should also invest in a couple of supersoakers and use them to discipline Steven when he is abusive,

Great idea!  Sadly, from past experience, APS would step in.  They couldn't do much with Steven due to his size, but they could prosecute the shooter.

29 minutes ago, pdlinda1 said:

From my experience regarding state penal systems, Steven would NEVER be housed in a jail/prison.  He would immediately be placed in an "infirmary"/hospital setting.  There he would be "managed" to suit the institutional protocols and procedures.  These are clinical settings; HOWEVER, he would NOT be allowed to behave in "inappropriate" ways and if they had to isolate him (with clinical oversight, to be sure), they would.  Once you lose your freedom and wind up in custody the rules change drastically.  Personally, I don't believe Steven has the bodily dexterity/quick movements of limbs to commit a violent crime on, say his bro/father.  That presupposes they don't let him anywhere near MATCHES!!  They would anticipate what he was going to do and get out of his way.  However, he would be quick to report "abuse" of father/bro and I believe that might be a problem for THEM.

THANK YOU!  Exactly what I was trying to say!  Steven is a reporter, BIG TIME.  No trying to manage this bozo is going to work unless it's in a clinical/hospital setting, with a court order involved.

Edited by Dru Blood
emphasis
  • Love 2

I just checked out his FB page and read comments.  Apparently there is video of him eating his own poo!!!  Somebody said they watched it, and another person said they had too.  WTH?????  Is that attention seeking or psycho?

• Love 1

Just purely for information purposes.  The cuss filled rant posted up thread was made by Steven while he was residing in something called New Bedford Rehabilitation Hospital.  It is apparently in New Bedford, Mass.  I am not sure what the place is usually utilized for.  Maybe someone out there knows.  Drug rehab?  Physical rehab?  Not sure.

22 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

The only bit of extra information they showed was that after Dr. Now told Stephen he was being kicked out, he took Steve's call button away.  Sweet!

Man!  I missed that!  Damn, gotta rewatch!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, pdlinda1 said:

From my experience regarding state penal systems, Steven would NEVER be housed in a jail/prison.  He would immediately be placed in an "infirmary"/hospital setting.  There he would be "managed" to suit the institutional protocols and procedures.  These are clinical settings; HOWEVER, he would NOT be allowed to behave in "inappropriate" ways and if they had to isolate him (with clinical oversight, to be sure), they would.  Once you lose your freedom and wind up in custody the rules change drastically.  Personally, I don't believe Steven has the bodily dexterity/quick movements of limbs to commit a violent crime on, say his bro/father.  That presupposes they don't let him anywhere near MATCHES!!  They would anticipate what he was going to do and get out of his way.  However, he would be quick to report "abuse" of father/bro and I believe that might be a problem for THEM.  It's not like they could get a TRO (temporary restraining order) against him.  His size and med conditions would probably preclude any judge from granting the father/bro relief.  This is a tragic family situation that has no easy resolution and has been in process since the DAY STEVEN WAS BORN!!  Remember the play:  "The Bad Seed???"

I know I am a bad, bad person but I really wish he would get arrested, successfully prosecuted, and jailed or imprisoned under the exact same conditions you outlined above, perhaps for felony level prescription abuse. No pills, no internet, no pizzas on demand, and especially, nobody there is going to be impressed or bullied by him.

And yes pdlinda1, I do remember watching "The Bad Seed" multiple times years ago; that is, the movie not the play. Sweet little blonde haired, pigtailed girl of about nine or ten years old, and a stone cold serial killer--didn't even have that term way back then. The actress, Patty McCormick was brilliant. One of her signature lines, "What would you give me for a basketful of kisses?" as she flashed her fake smile still gives me chills to this day.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, EastCoast4Life said:

Here is a local article about Steven living in an SUV trunk, because he had no where to go. 

Did they live in a different house then?  I didn't see him negotiating steps in the house at the beginning, and if he only needed help getting in the house, I'd think the fire department or someone would have helped them.
I find it really hard to believe that he lived in the van, because that would have been a public nusianc for one thing.
And I noted that in 80 days in the hospital, he'd only lost 20 pounds, so there were more pizzas for sure.

2 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I don't agree.  Previous patients succumbed to rather severe food addictions and it had done a lot of damage to their lives, but they tried and they were still good people.  Except for Pauline, Penny, and Marla, every patient before this season was a person I rooted for.  Chuck was kind of immature but he still pulled it together enough to get with the program.

I don't agree that the show is trying to find worse and worse people. This year we had the highest educated lady that we have ever had. I forget her name, the one who moved to a nice house in Houston with her niece's family. In general we get the bottom of the barrel on this show. People who have such a dysfunctional family dynamic that there is a 600 pound plus person that they keep feeding and never did anything about.  They are from a class of people who seem to be poor and very uneducated. They seem to not have a clue about nutrition. Usually the family is completely broke and they see this chance at a free help and free surgery. I don't see how you are going to find fairly normal, higher social class 700 pound people to go on this show.  I have been watching it from the beginning and almost every show either the overweight person and/or their enabler is really screwed up. So this season we got 2 of the worst yet, but we got one of the best yet too. This show has been on for awhile- I think they are starting to exhaust the supply of lower class people who weigh weigh over 600 pounds. I just don't agree that TLC is actively trying to find trainwrecks. No offense to anyone here but 700 pound people are generally train wrecks.

• Love 11