Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Steven and Justin's Story, Part 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Nancypants said:

Is anyone else scared for part 2?

On what planet are the police going to take this Monster seriously? Dad is stupid to be intimidated by this. Also, Dad? Don't answer when he calls. Its not that difficult to comprehend.

I don't think it's fear of the police that keeps Steven Sr. at his son's beck and call.  I think he said that he doesn't want Steven Jr. to overdose on drugs or go to the hospital or something.

• Love 1

You know, it's possible that the family caregivers who are being paid by the state might lose the gig if the patient complains about them. "He's not bringing me any food! I'm being abandoned!" That might play a small role in why they give in to the demands.

I agree with the suspicions about Steven's dad. The obvious response to "I'll call the police!!" is "Yeah? And tell them what, exactly?" But he never says that; he just caves instantly.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2017 at 8:00 PM, mamadrama said:

I know what you mean. I was approached by a reality show several times over the years but it was a reenactment type show. I kept saying "no" because I didn't want to watch someone else reenacting my life. I finally caved in last year. 

I keep waiting to see someone on SNL to reenact Steven's episode. Now THAT would be funny!

Oh my goodness, mamadrama, I'm sorry to learn that you experienced something so horrible, whatever it was.  I hope you are ok now.

1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

The problem is nobody wants to deal with Steven, so the police and all others avoid or do whatever they can to stay away.    No cop is going to clean him or wipe his ass.    No nursing home will accept him for obvious reasons and also because he would require triple staff to care for him.

He is the Ted Bundy of food addicts.  Even the death penalty opponents wanted Ted dead.

Totally agree! He's learned to manipulate the system and make himself such an obnoxious, odious, (and odorous, ha!), pain in the ass that he probably gets away with more than the average person could. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Azubah said:

I agree with the suspicions about Steven's dad. The obvious response to "I'll call the police!!" is "Yeah? And tell them what, exactly?" But he never says that; he just caves instantly.

Maybe that he's been beaten or abused. Which the police might believe. Or that dad threatened to kill him or something.  He's such an asshole, that anything is possible. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

Maybe that he's been beaten or abused. Which the police might believe. Or that dad threatened to kill him or something.  He's such an asshole, that anything is possible. 

The question really is why the dad is ordering pizza from Rhode Island for delivery in Texas.  There is no possible calling the cops on dad in that case.  Must have to do with who controls the benefits checks.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
trying to type a coherent thought
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

Considering Steven Jr. lives 1800mi from his dad right now there's no way that Steven Sr. is beating or abusing him in any way. If Steven Jr. called the police in TX claiming that he'd have no way to prove anything. So, let him call the cops cos his dad won't keep ordering his pizzas. There's not a damn thing SJ can do about it. The best thing for Sr. is to stop answering the phone and (possibly) block SJ's number. The whole family would be better off and SJ might finally have to take some responsibility for himself.

• Love 5

I am hesitant to put a lot of blame on the enablers.  It's easy for us to be armchair experts and say "He should do this!  Piece of cake!"  But we're emotionally detached from the addicts.  I think that the enablers can and should change their behaviors, but it's harder than some people are assuming it to be.  Steven doesn't want his son to die of a drug overdose, or do something worse and more destructive.  He thinks that will happen if he doesn't order the pizza.  That's why he keeps doing it.

• Love 4
(edited)

Shoot, I'm on Pacific time AND won't even be home for the live chat of that time slot.

I can't eat anything decent during this show. If I really need to eat some dinner, all I can manage is steamed veggies (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, kale) with maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar. I haven't wanted anything that resembles pizza or Chinese food since James K., even when I'm not watching the show.

I'm down for alcohol, though. I'd been thinking of inventing a drink called the Dirty Aquarium for James Supersized-- throw anything you have into a mason jar until it turns a murky brown color, then hold your nose and drink. For Steven, I'm scared that if I use any decent alcohol to make a Suffer You Bastard,  I'll never be able to drink it again. That's how repulsive he is.

Edited by Moloch Must Die
  • Love 6
(edited)

@BlazingBloomers, I am so sorry to hear your story, it made me so sad!   Fortunately, you have taken stock of your history and understand how it has affected you.  Huge thumbs up for that!!!!   It's part of maturing.  This is why, even though Steven may have had a shitty childhood, he is an adult now and needs to own it and do better.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I'm not going to have pie. 

I used to love coconut cream pie.  However, after that disgusting fetish display Steven put on, I will never be able to eat another piece.

Wouldn't be interesting if the mother makes an appearance on tonight's show? He does have some contact with her. If you look at his youtube there is a video of his mother bringing him a cake and singing Happy Birthday to him.

The description is "Happy Birthday John 31 years Old.
and Lori will be 40 Dec. 28, 2012" Is Lori the mother or a mother figure to him or someone else? If Lori is the mother she was 9 when she had him?! I sincerely hope Lori is someone else, like a relative with a birthday close to Steven's. Maybe Lori was the one who filmed this.

Now on the other hand, here is the video of him, filmed a few months earlier than the birthday one, talking about how his mother abandoned him, I couldn't sit through the whole thing but towards the end he mentions his Mom blocked his number, again. Maybe Mom wouldn't give in to his demands like sending a pizza long distance that's why she blocked him. Puzzling.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, TicketToHellPaid said:

Was that nasty green stuff on his legs mold? Lumpy amd thick and hilly mold?

and this, referencing the pic, is this 20 years of sh*t accumulating on his shorts?

IMG_4147.JPG

Does this interview (talking head) with Steven reminds me of Penny. Remember when Penny had her final interview shots, she was in a bed with a black background. She pretend she had progress but unlike all other episodes Penny did not have any sort of provable ending progress, some don't have weight loss but are walking or have some small break trough to make the ending feel good. 

Of course Im looking forward to the show tonight and am going to watch it live, even though it airs at 11pm-1am. Steven had been able to post on his social media (have others been able to do this during filming reguarding how they were feeling and hints of what was happening, not happy birthday to someone?) Between this picture of the interview setting and the facebook posts my gut   says there can't be an huge turn around but I would love to be proven wrong and see some huge turn around.

I also am so hoping tonight we will see some help or progress for Justin. Even if it is just for Justin to know he will not be living with Steven in the future and feels safe and gets a nutritionist that helps him shop, like takes him to the grocery store or teaches him to make easy meals that he enjoys. I think education is so important for Justin. I don't think he is emotionally ready for surgery but he has shown he can walk a few miles for his toy car racing so give him a goal of that walk everyday and easy to make lower calorie meals and maybe he at least drops 100lbs in a year which is better then gaining as a first step.

Edited by silverspoons
(edited)
2 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I am hesitant to put a lot of blame on the enablers.  It's easy for us to be armchair experts and say "He should do this!  Piece of cake!"  But we're emotionally detached from the addicts.  I think that the enablers can and should change their behaviors, but it's harder than some people are assuming it to be.  Steven doesn't want his son to die of a drug overdose, or do something worse and more destructive.  He thinks that will happen if he doesn't order the pizza.  That's why he keeps doing it.

See, at least for me, if that is his father's motivation then why bother going through all the trouble to travel 1,800 miles to get your son into a program for weight loss and ultimately weight loss surgery then immediately sabotage it by ordering him pizza? If his real concern is that his son is a drug addict and thus he buys him pizza to keep him from dying of a drug overdose, wouldn't it be easier to achieve that back in Rhode Island where he can physically monitor his son's behavior and have some control of his environment? 

Nope, I get the distinct odor of a huge, steaming pile of reality TV/TLC bullshit with the enthusiastic and completely willing participation of both turds Stevens. 

Steven, Sr.: "Boo hoo, I am so frightened that my dear son might overdose and die so I make sure that I am several states and hundreds of miles away and leave my devious pill-head son to his own devices. Then I leave him, not enrolled in a secure facility that treats drug addicts but in a hospital for weight loss, with the hope of weight loss surgery, when he has shown absolutely no real interest in losing weight. Of course, I then (allegedly) long distance order him hundreds of dollars of pizza for good measure even though he was kicked out of a Rhode Island hospital for his obnoxious behavior which included ORDERING PIZZA."

I cannot imagine that that could in any way be plausible because, IMHO, it isn't. It's not true and it's not believable, just another TLC, ratings driven, fake ass, poorly acted simulation of reality.

I expect more of the same from Part 2, which I wouldn't miss for the world, vodka martini in hand!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comments and fix typos.
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

See, at least for me, if that is his father's motivation then why bother going through all the trouble to travel 1,800 miles to get your son into a program for weight loss and ultimately weight loss surgery then immediately sabotage it by ordering him pizza? If his real concern is that his son is a drug addict and thus he buys him pizza to keep from dying of a drug overdose, wouldn't it be easier to achieve that back in Rhode Island where he can physically monitor his son's behavior and have some control of his environment? 

Nope, I get the distinct odor of a huge, steaming pile of reality TV/TLC bullshit with the enthusiastic and completely willing participation of both turds Stevens. 

Steven, Sr.: "Boo hoo, I am so frightened that my dear son might overdose and die so I make sure that I am several states and hundreds of miles away and leave my devious pill-head son to his own devices. Then I leave him, not enrolled in a secure facility that treats drug addicts but in a hospital for weight loss when he has shown absolutely no real interest in losing weight. Of course, I then (allegedly) long distance order him hundreds of dollars of pizza for good measure even though he was kicked out of a Rhode Island hospital for his obnoxious behavior which included ORDERING PIZZA."

I cannot imagine that that could in any way be plausible because, IMHO, it isn't. It's not true and it's not believable, just another TLC, ratings driven, fake ass, poorly acted simulation of reality.

I expect more of the same from Part 2, which I wouldn't miss for the world, vodka martini in hand!

I love you and your handle!  It will be white wine for me.  

• Love 3

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but I haven't seen it. 

Justin is hosting a live channel, and has been talking off-and-on for the past week. He can't say much due to the NDA that he had to sign with the production company, but there was one thing that he was very clear about. He was not at any point sexually abused. 

I know the speculation has floated about.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Moloch Must Die said:

Shoot, I'm on Pacific time AND won't even be home for the live chat of that time slot.

I can't eat anything decent during this show. If I really need to eat some dinner, all I can manage is steamed veggies (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, kale) with maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar. I haven't wanted anything that resembles pizza or Chinese food since James K., even when I'm not watching the show.

I'm down for alcohol, though. I'd been thinking of inventing a drink called the Dirty Aquarium for James Supersized-- throw anything you have into a mason jar until it turns a murky brown color, then hold your nose and drink. For Steven, I'm scared that if I use any decent alcohol to make a Suffer You Bastard,  I'll never be able to drink it again. That's how repulsive he is.

Same here.  Pacific time, and hubby won't watch the show.  I'll have to DVR it, but I will read the live post comments to brace myself for what's to come, when I do watch.  Brussels sprouts are on my menu tonight though, oddly enough!  

Your Dirty Aquarium drink idea reminds me of my late MIL's trying to get me to try a Dirty Martini.  I just couldn't, because I hate olives.  

My hubby used to order Suffering Bastards in the 70's.  Never tried those either!  Wine is fine for me.  

I agree that it would be a waste of any good alcohol to make a Suffer You Bastard during this shitfest to come.  Time for the bargain basement stuff that couldn't be stomached otherwise.

2 hours ago, chickenella said:

.. he mentions his Mom blocked his number, again. Maybe Mom wouldn't give in to his demands like sending a pizza long distance that's why she blocked him. Puzzling.

Yeah I'd block his number too.  I'm on her side here.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

I love you and your handle!  It will be white wine for me.  

Many {{{hugs}}} back atcha fonfereksglen! Cyber see you tonight at 8:00.

BTW, what's the meaning behind your handle?

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To correct typo.

Oh man, I still haven't watched Part 1 and Part 2 is airing tonight. I've obviously read comments here and I'm afraid that once I start watching every fiber of my being will be enraged and I'll become a screaming banshee. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Oh man, I still haven't watched Part 1 and Part 2 is airing tonight. I've obviously read comments here and I'm afraid that once I start watching every fiber of my being will be enraged and I'll become a screaming banshee. 

Well hookedontv you will have the opportunity to channel your inner banshee at 6:00 pm EST tonight since TLC will be airing Part 1 right before Part 2. C'mon, you deserve to be just as enraged as the rest of us!

• Love 3

but towards the end he mentions his Mom blocked his number,

She sounds like the only sane member of this family.

Your Dirty Aquarium drink i

Perhaps it should be more on the greenish side. Hey, also sounds like a perfect Halloween cocktail!

• Love 1
(edited)

TLC is airing the Steve A. (part 1) episode right now, where I live. I think they're showing Part 2 later tonight?

I have been watching "My 600 Lb Life" the last few years but was prompted to go to Google and look it up and found this board and began posting here after the fiascos that were James K. from Kentucky and this Steve Assanti guy. I was shocked and horrified by both of them.

James K. was very annoying (lots of whining, didn't seem grateful for the help he was getting), but this Assanti guy is, IMO, way worse. He's mean and rude to people.

Well, maybe they're about the same, as James K. emotionally abuses his girlfriend Lisa.  I guess Assanti just seems more transparent with his abusive behavior. I don't know. But both are awful.

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 1

Argh. I think I'm ready. But I've been reading the posts here and I agree that there is some serious BS'ing of the audience going on here. Junior is just full of it. The father doesn't quite sound kosher either. I'm wondering if his son knows if Dad has something to hide. So far Justin is the only one I feel bad for. I can't imagine having a big brother like Junior. 

I never tried a Suffering Bastard, but I do remember them in the 70s. I think I drink Tequila Sunrises and Harvey Wallbangers back then.

Have fun, everyone. I just finished my chicken and broccoli. Boring but I'm trying to lose a few. This show is my Scared Straight. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Of course, I then (allegedly) long distance order him hundreds of dollars of pizza for good measure even though he was kicked out of a Rhode Island hospital for his obnoxious behavior which included ORDERING PIZZA."

Great post.     If both Steven's were on Intervention, Steven Sr. would be told he is (obviously) an enabler and co-dependent.  To his ridiculous reasoning of why he buys him pizza's, he would be quickly told the following.   You can decide to kill him with pizza or stop and make Steven decide to get help.

The interventionist will tell the father if he does NOT stop and create real consequences that he sticks to, then his presence at the intervention would not be needed.   The father is harming his son.   He will die of pizza before he dies of drugs.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Many {{{hugs}}} back atcha fonfereksglen! Cyber see you tonight at 8:00.

BTW, what's the meaning behind your handle?

It's an area with a waterfall and spectacular limestone cliffs coming off the Niagara Escarpment (the Ledge) near our home.   Check google images because I can't explain how beautiful this area can be.  

Of course, I'll be here.  Probably won't comment until it is over.  Which will be a lot of wine (and whining) later.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

Okay...guys and dolls, you ready for the second half of this nightmare??

Heh heh, I don't think any of us here is really ready for Le Shit Show Part Deux, but I'll be watching!

BTW, what's your drink of choice this evening?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Heh heh, I don't think any of us here is really ready for Le Shit Show Part Deux, but I'll be watching!

I'm a vodka/tonic kind of girl...a couple of those and I won't punch the TV at least, lol

• Love 3

I just checked the TV guide for my area. At the same time Steve Assanti Part 2 airs, "Cooks and Cons" (on Food Network) comes on, and tonight's theme of "Cooks and Cons" is Pizza (the TV Guide says, "Pizza Pizzazz").

That's pretty ironic considering Assanti's choice of drug is pizza. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I donated blood today, so maybe just one glass of wine will be enough to do me in. If I start saying outrageous things, you'll know that the wine is going to my head too fast, LOL!

• Love 5

Steven:  "I hope I've lost some of the weight..."

mom: "I don't think you have."

4 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

Keep us posted on Mom...she's the best!!

Haha thx! She's looking forward to tonight!

??

• Love 6

I'm looking forward to this!  I happen to be in the path of tornadoes right now so if my power goes out or I have to go to the basement, I'll have to catch up later!!

• Love 2

I am just going to watch, then catch the new season of RHONYC. 

So, have a great time and cheers to y'all.

I will be serving Bitters and soda later tonight in the chat room.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

I've pre-soaked my panties

This is as far as I got before I started thinking, "What the...?"  But then I remembered. : )

• Love 2

I am doing a live radio interview right now and am totally bummed that I have to wait to watch this new episode. TO be honest, however, I plan on sneaking over to the live thread during commercial breaks to read the updates. Thanks to everyone for keeping it alive. 

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:32 AM, bethster2000 said:

There is no excuse for this behavior.  I don't care *what* his upbringing was like.  A warning: very foul language.  VERY foul language.

He should be glad I wasn't one of his nurses or he would have been wearing that filthy bedpan on his head.  And his dessert would have been a special Miss Minny chocolate pie from The Help.  Eat my shit and choke on it you demented waste of space.  smdh

• Love 6

It is interesting that so many people felt that abuse may have happened to the younger brother. I had the same feeling. His behavior reminded me so much of my stepson's behavior a few years ago when my stepson was a teenager and had been coerced into some inappropriate things by a young woman who was (formerly) my best friend (and felt he couldn't tell me, BECAUSE it was my best friend!).  The similarities were striking- the way Justin hung back and avoided him much as possible but while still being present and having to interact with him. The scene where Justin has to say goodbye to Steven especially hit me hard. :(

Besides that, I have to say that when I watch this show, I'm watching it to be happy at the end when the person finally begins enjoying their life and getting to do normal things.  But Steven..I actually felt...well, I thought of the book The Gift of Fear when I thought of him........he is the only show participant where if I knew him I felt safer with him being immobile....I'm being completely honest in saying that if I knew him, I would actually be afraid when he could get up and be mobile. 

• Love 3
On 3/29/2017 at 11:39 PM, Ivylady said:

Also, someone is lying about something. These two are too emotionally stunted to be damaged just from having an abusive alcoholic mother. I feel like we're missing important pieces of the puzzle. 

Well if their mother heavily drank while pregnant, they probably both suffered from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I'm not a medical professional, but I used to babysit kids years ago, when my own were young. The ONLY kid I couldn't manage turned out to be from a very alcoholic mother. The grandma told me. Felt so bad..he really was a mess. So, maybe this is a contributing factor in both men? 

Googled symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome: here's some of what I found:

Behavioral: aggression, antisocial behavior, hyperactivity, impulsivity, or irritability

Developmental: delayed development, failure to thrive, learning disability.

I still can't STAND either one of them...I'm going to hell with my gasoline soaked panties (I don't wear drawers) ;-)

• Love 2