Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: Pig Moon Rising

From TV Guide:

Mitchell accidentally knocks over an urn containing the ashes of Cam's beloved pet pig, Lily.  Cam tries to catch Mitchell in a lie.

Discuss tonight's new episode here.

Edited by Vyk

Yay! Lily! "I knew the perspective was off!"

Not sure I believe a kid can fit both his legs in one leg of the tiny little pants they sell, but I lol'd at Joe jumping in "It happened again!" and then falling on the floor! Good job, kid!

I like Haley's "I maxed out my credit card buying these ridiculously expensive sunglasses" -- pause -- "I don't love them."

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 13

I liked the episode, the family's always at it's best when it's scheming together. It felt reminiscent of an earlier episode where various family members try to pass the buck and get someone else to cover for them but I can't remember the episode name or the exact situation the episode dealt with. 

Why do TV shows act like community college doesn't exist? It seemed like Luke was applying to pretty competitive schools instead of looking at local junior colleges, which would make much more sense for a student of his caliber. I know keeping him out of college for a year is just a contrivance to keep him around next season but in reality, a kid in Luke's position would go to community college for a year in hopes of getting his grades up and then moving onto a 4 year University. 

ETA: Oh I remembered the old episode this one reminded me of, episode 4.16 “Bad Hair Day” where Mitchell cuts Joe’s hair after Cam gets a wig stuck on his head and Mitchell makes a deal with Cam to tell Gloria, who in turn makes a deal with Manny to take the fall, but Manny makes a deal with Luke, who then makes a deal with Jay who finally takes the blame. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 8

Eh.  I didn't love this ep the way Haley doesn't love the glasses.  Nice fix by Luke, though.

I guess if I think hard enough, I can connect some Luke Personality Dots that get me to buy into his savant-like problem-solving capabilities.  Like when he points out to his father (in "Phil on a Wire") that the reason he keeps falling off the wire is because he knows he can -- the wire was only a few feet off the ground at the time.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

I know keeping him out of college for a year is just a contrivance to keep him around next season but in reality, a kid in Luke's position would go to community college for a year in hopes of getting his grades up and then moving onto a 4 year University. 

or two.

• Love 4

Nothing about the show indicated he might not enroll in CC people just don't do that in March for the fall. Both Hayley when she got kicked out from college and Alex when she wasnt at CalTech took classes at community college and it was specifically mentioned so this show of all show realizes it's an option.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Nothing about the show indicated he might not enroll in CC people just don't do that in March for the fall. Both Hayley when she got kicked out from college and Alex when she wasnt at CalTech took classes at community college and it was specifically mentioned so this show of all show realizes it's an option.

Phil and Claire specifically said Luke won't be going to college this year and Luke said he'd rather wait a year than go somewhere he didn't get into on his own merit. I do remember Haley attending community college (does she still?) and it's of course possible that Luke will end up taking courses at a CC, but in these episodes where high school seniors are hearing back from schools, it's always presented as acceptance to the big universities of their dreams or nothing. No one ever seems to consider the very rational plan of enrolling in community college right out of high school to get your grades up, the characters were all acting like Luke has to take a year off when that's simply not the case but I guess for drama's sake they can't mention community college as a fall back. It's just a small pet peeve of mine that I've seen pop up in a handful of shows I watch. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

Luke won't be going to college this year and Luke said he'd rather wait a year than go somewhere he didn't get into on his own merit.

I thought they specifically said 4 year college, they said it at least once and I assumed it was what they meant. Quite frankly I would love it if Luke chose another path to get ahead than schooling because it isn't the route for every kid, even CC isn't necessarily going to be a good fit for Luke. 

I just think it's weird to assume they haven't thought of it when they have literally mentioned CC in dealing with the first two kids who went to college on the show.

• Love 4

Well, I guess they had to solve the problem of Luke potentially having to go to college somehow.

Damn, did I not like this episode.  All of the lies, lies, lies going around.  About the only thing I liked was how Cam busted Mitch over the pig ashes.

• Love 3

I thought this was one of the funniest episodes this season.  Was just wondering why if the admissions officer told Phil they accept people with worse grades than Luke why he was originally rejected when he's a legacy.  Also Larry the cat isn't that old, how is it that Mitchell and Cameron have managed to replace him twice in 5 years or so?

• Love 4

What bothered me most about the lack of discussion about community college was that Claire encouraged Phil to go against everything he believed about being a magician to get Luke accepted to that school.  There has to be a point at which people are willing to compromise or consider other options before allowing someone they profess to love to debase themselves for something that is not life or death.  If they had not gone there, it would not have bothered me as much that they were not considering the community college aspect or even a gap year for Luke to mature a bit.  It also bothered me that there was the implication that if Luke couldn't get into a college then the military would be the only option.  The military is a good fit for many people, and has helped many actually find their path in life.  However, it is not a go to college or go to the military scenario in which those are the only two options.  

I am just so tired of Cam's manipulation of events to make someone else feel guilty.  At least they had Cam acknowledge that he was a hypocrite this episode.  

I am very excited that the Manny/Gloria dynamic will be changing as it is just too much for her to continue her constant babying of him.

• Love 4

I thought this episode was very funny, but the whole Larry-the-Cat thing isn't funny. These folks are all terrible with animals, except for Jay with Stella.

My honey and I were both ridiculously amused by the Pig Moon thing, and wanted Cam to break out his Piggy Man impression from AHS. Alas, no.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 4

Exactly how stupid is Luke supposed to be that he couldn't get into colleges that are barely accredited????  How did Phil and Claire end up with one genius kid, and 2 supposedly dumber than a box of rocks children.

• Love 4

Right, who doesn't get into Arizona State? Let's at least have some degree of realism. ;)

I figured they were going to have some big reveal that Luke has some special skill set for a job, but I like that they left it at him just generally being a good problems solver. I think having the job at the club has helped bring out his potential, and allow him to realise it. He's lived in Phil's vision of him for so long, he's just starting to break out.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Everleigh said:

ETA: Oh I remembered the old episode this one reminded me of, episode 4.16 “Bad Hair Day” where Mitchell cuts Joe’s hair after Cam gets a wig stuck on his head and Mitchell makes a deal with Cam to tell Gloria, who in turn makes a deal with Manny to take the fall, but Manny makes a deal with Luke, who then makes a deal with Jay who finally takes the blame. 

I thought that this was kind of a backwards version of that episode.  Instead of everything going right, instead everything went wrong and each lie was exposed in turn.

Are those windshield things real?  I don't get parking tickets.

4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Apparently they are. How interesting. 

I can only speak for my parents opinions almost 20 years ago, but community college was not an option. Both of them were college educated and any time I suggested taking a year off and working or going to community college I was shut down. It was 4 years (and only 4 years) straight out of high school. I can see people with the kind of money the Dunphys have looking down at community college as an option or not thinking of it. 

14 hours ago, Ina123 said:

College isn't for everyone. I wish we could end the shame of "I didn't go to college". There are so many other skills that are needed and rewarding.

Certainly, but has Luke discovered his skills?  Negotiating is something a lawyer or union rep might do.  Since he's not likely to be a lawyer, he needs to find another outlet for his abilities.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I can only speak for my parents opinions almost 20 years ago, but community college was not an option. Both of them were college educated and any time I suggested taking a year off and working or going to community college I was shut down. It was 4 years (and only 4 years) straight out of high school. I can see people with the kind of money the Dunphys have looking down at community college as an option or not thinking of it. 

You probably weren't a lackluster student.  Luke is, and they know it.  I'm not sure why they would want to pay a lot of money for him to go to college when he is so ill-prepared and is likely to founder. Notre Dame and NYU were funny for the jokes, but no way could he thrive there.

15 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

As mentioned above, Haley goes--or, at least, went, I have no idea of her school status at this point--to community college.

I doubt she still goes, but you are correct.

So, no word about where Manny is going.  Obviously Gloria will miss him, but she's got Joe.  If it weren't for Joe, I think Gloria would have been less reasonable.

• Love 1

I thought Haley said last season that it took her three years to get through a two-year program (at cc).  She said something like that (when talking to Andy?) about school.

Luke has shown in the past that he has good problem solving skills - like when he and Claire were up a creek without a paddle (supposedly it was a ' What Would Alex Do?' Solution, but it was Luke who saved the moment). 

I HATE all the lying and scheming this family does, but at least this episode exposed it.  Of course, they'll probably be at it again the very next episode.

So, Phil went to a barely accredited college, huh?  Or Claire's just being mean...

With all of his "wins" to counter Luke's bad news, I hope this doesn't mean Manny got into Julliard 'cause, come on!  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Balboa said:

Sarah Hyland looked different this episode. Hope everything is okay with her.

Yeah, I told my wife after the first few minutes she looked like she was taking some mean steroids.  She didn't look healthy.

• Love 1

Favorite lines:

Manny: I feel like Lady Mary in the last season of Downton Abbey.

Jay: I'd avoid the big football schools.

And later, Gloria: I can't go to the mall wearing my house heels.

• Love 9

Sarah wasn't able to attend the SAG awards on January  29th due to health issues. She says in an US Weekly article that she is often shown sitting or leaning due to the pain. Walking up the stairs serves as her workout for the week. I didn't know her kidney transplant came from her dad. Well, I hope she's doing better now. 

Back to this episode. I don't think the Dunphy's would care about Luke going to a community college, and I think Nolan is growing out of his awkward stage very nicely. I couldn't handle being around a kid like Manny, or Cam for that matter. I just couldn't. I'm fully expecting Lily to be 15 and goth by the end of the season. Phil and Jay are the glue. The character of Claire annoys me a lot, but Julie plays her well. And I can't help but love Sofia, she's ridiculous, but crazy like a fox. Mitch.. Eh.. I like when he's falling over trying to catch water bottles, running from birds, pointing guns at people, tripping over bushes, and nailing himself in playhouses. 

• Love 3

I'm glad they didn't make Luke secretely a genius and just let him be a bad student with other skills. 

They've worked out ways to keep Haley, Alex, and now Luke nearby and present in the action of the show. I wonder if Manny will get the same consideration or if we'll actually be seeing less of him next year. 

One of my favorite lines was when Gloria said Manny was the second Delgado to go to college after her cousin who went to the best medical school in Colombia...that they don't just accept any cadaver. 

Re: Sarah Hyland's health. As mentioned she has kidney disease and previously got a kidney transplant from her dad. I don't like speculating over someone's appearance but it does look like she could be on some type of heavy steroid. My aunt battled kidney disease a couple years ago and the steroids the doctors gave her caused obvious swelling in her face that she was very self-conscious about. 

• Love 3

I was really annoyed with Luke's college plot. Even beyond the community college thing, the schools they mentioned him as applying to (besides Phil's college) seemed way out of his league. He should have been applying to some less selective colleges. Do the Dunphy's just enjoy wasting money? (Yes. Yes, they do.)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Everleigh said:

No one ever seems to consider the very rational plan of enrolling in community college right out of high school to get your grades up,

I had decent grades but I went to community college (Santa Rosa Junior College, home of Karen Valentine!) -- since I could stay at home, it was MUCH cheaper, and I could explore different fields before narrowing on a major (I took all my electives at JC and my mandatory classes at a 4-year).

6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Sounds like it -- I've only seen boots.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ChipBach said:

Yeah, I told my wife after the first few minutes she looked like she was taking some mean steroids.  She didn't look healthy.

Yes, she looked different in the last few episodes.  And I noticed her sitting down in most of her scenes too

Also, Lily looks to be as tall as Cam's chest, if not taller.  She definitely had some growth spur since the last time we saw her.

I did not find the episode funny at all.  The guy playing Manny needs more acting lesson, his delivery when trying to convince the random kid at the mall was off.  At least Gloria was not screaming in her scenes.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I think they changed it a while ago, but at some point originally Phil went to University of Georgia, right?

Phil always went to Cal State Fresno.  They are the local Bulldogs.

What's never been clear is where did Claire go to college.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Phil always went to Cal State Fresno.  They are the local Bulldogs.

That's a bit of a drive from LA!  3.5 hours or so each way...

BTW, with your nickname, I'm sure you've seen the cartoon that depicts the Roadrunner, R2D2 and Beaker the Muppet just before their tragic accident...

California State University, Fresno is a public research university and one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. Wikipedia

Address: 5241 N Maple Ave, Fresno, CA 93740

Acceptance rate: 58% (2015)

Total enrollment: 24,136 (2015)

Mascot: Bulldog

Even beyond community colleges, they could have had Luke apply to more public schools that have high admission rates. There are plenty of those out there that will take pretty much anyone who applies. I know Luke applying to NYU and Notre Dame and schools like that was a joke, but come on! Those are super high performing schools!

I actually liked that episode, especially when all their lies came out. Luke totally called Mitch and Cams issue. Talking to each other really would solve 90% of their problems. I know its a sitcom, but this is just getting weird now. No one on this show can just tell a person something, even a small thing. It always has to have a convoluted lie or a wacky scheme.

"Mitchell Pritchett, Parenting Magazine" was hilarious. As was "I knew the perspective was off!"

The whole clan except for Jay should be kept away from animals. I assume the original cats were killed due to a wacky and convoluted scheme of some kind.

• Love 4
On 3/16/2017 at 7:50 AM, Ina123 said:

College isn't for everyone. I wish we could end the shame of "I didn't go to college". There are so many other skills that are needed and rewarding.

That's all I could think about when watching this (otherwise very good) episode. Luke has absolutely no business going to college, much less a prestigious 4-year university like the ones he applied to (well, at least NYU and Notre Dame). The boy has no academic aptitude or enthusiasm for school and learning (all of this goes for Haley too). 7+ seasons have gone towards showing what a dim bulb he is. WHY does he have to go to school, to waste his parents' money, his time, and that of his professors?? Knowing how to solve some minor family disagreements doesn't mean he would do well in 4 rigorous years of classes, labs, writing papers, etc. etc.

I really hate the "college or else" propaganda that is forced on kids from elementary school onward. I adored college but I dreamed of going and wanted to be there. It's 100% okay if others don't. Maybe if fewer people bought into the "college or die" mantra they're forcefed there wouldn't be a 1.31 trillion student loan debt in this country, and BAs wouldn't be devalued into the equivalent of a high school diploma, and not going to college could just be another life option instead of a sign of failure.

/rant

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

That's a bit of a drive from LA!  3.5 hours or so each way...

Not as far as Athens, GA.....

Doable in a day.  Not a fun day.

These are the people with a crawl space and a basement.  Logical consistency is not a strong suit of this show.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Where was Alex this episode? Did I miss it? Probably did. I'll go back and read. 

She wasn't in the episode. It seems like the "kids" all miss a couple of episodes a season each and this was one of those episodes for Alex. At least it makes sense when she's gone as she should be at school anyway but that never seems to be the case. I'm sure she would have had nothing but snarky things to say about Luke's college prospects so probably better for him she wasn't around. 

• Love 3

All of those family video moments of Luke's failed attempts at college acceptance...and no one seemed to miss one member of their family.  I guess Alex was working double shifts at the coffee shop (isn't she the manager now or did she turn that down?  IDR).  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

That's all I could think about when watching this (otherwise very good) episode. Luke has absolutely no business going to college, much less a prestigious 4-year university like the ones he applied to (well, at least NYU and Notre Dame). The boy has no academic aptitude or enthusiasm for school and learning (all of this goes for Haley too). 7+ seasons have gone towards showing what a dim bulb he is. WHY does he have to go to school, to waste his parents' money, his time, and that of his professors?? Knowing how to solve some minor family disagreements doesn't mean he would do well in 4 rigorous years of classes, labs, writing papers, etc. etc.

I really hate the "college or else" propaganda that is forced on kids from elementary school onward. I adored college but I dreamed of going and wanted to be there. It's 100% okay if others don't. Maybe if fewer people bought into the "college or die" mantra they're forcefed there wouldn't be a 1.31 trillion student loan debt in this country, and BAs wouldn't be devalued into the equivalent of a high school diploma, and not going to college could just be another life option instead of a sign of failure.

/rant

Thank you for posting that, CleoCaesar.  I totally agree, and it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine. 

Other than that, I did like the end when everything came out because I thought it was quite clever to have all the pieces connected like that and then exposed one after another.  I also like Mitch and Cam finally being honest at the end. 

• Love 3