Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

On 3/15/2017 at 9:26 PM, Armchair Critic said:

"but not fried rice". smdh!

I was please to her Lisa murmur "that's even worse."  Of course, it made no difference, but at least she understood this.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Forcing someone into a facility would be a very difficult sell as a public policy never mind who will pay for it.  

I would argue that the severely mentally ill, drug addicts, alcoholics etc, are way more of a "public nuisance" and have much more ability to do acute harm to themselves and others than some guy eating 5 pizzas a day....

Where do we draw the line especially when someone isn't particularly motivated to help themselves.

I doubt that James has worked a day of his life, meaning he's never paid taxes or into Medicare, Social Security, etc.  This guy is nothing but an enormous drain on taxpayer resources.  Who pays those hospital bills?  Medicare?  The hospitals must have to write off a ton of it.  Bitch girlfriend is clearly being paid (again, likely the only "job" she has ever had) to be his caretaker..... maybe the daughter, too (pulled out of school to pull some more cash from the system)?

Who pays for it if somebody manages to get his whale of a body into a nursing home?

• Love 7
On 3/15/2017 at 10:23 PM, SandyQ said:

I missed it the first time Dr. Now yells at him.  I'm REALLY looking forward to it now lmao

some things, no matter how gratifying it is, it's just not worth it...Dr Now sure gave them down the road but watching this episode has literally made me nauseous.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KittyKat94 said:

I remember Joe because people would post nasty comments on his Facebook page.  He became angry and started blocking people.  They were questioning him constantly begging for money on Gofundme to pay for his wedding - to the girl he met once, then proposed - and for a down payment on a house.  He wanted all of these things but wanted others to pay for it which royally pissed a lot of people off.

Ugh!  We have crossed the Rubicon into a world with no boundaries or dignity.  I shudder to think of the self-abasement necessary to ask the world to pay for your wedding and your house.  Does Joe think he's some kind of a celebrity - or a Saint - or a special, deserving victim?  WTH! ( Isn't he the guy whose mother was also quite obese who kept talking about his "tummy being full"? Another baby-man?). Yuck. Gack. I'm glad I'm not on FB.  This forum is already giving my darker angels reign.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Maybe she finds satisfying his bottomless love of food gratifying.  It's easy to make him super-happy... pizza, burgers, fries and cake!  Other people are much more complex... James is so simple to please, a second helping of cake and the guy is over the moon.

Sure, I see this.  It makes her feel loved and needed.  

33 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Gilbert Grape.........

ACK!  I see another fire in his future!  

42 minutes ago, Trees said:

The "Supersized" episode last night displayed that the first gravy-covered breakfast totalled almost 1,200 calories right there.

About the same as the cheese cake he had after the Chinese food.   That is what they run at the Cheesecake Factory.  I will skip the supersized episode but love hearing tid bits here.  Keep 'em coming! 

• Love 4

God help me, I watched again, and I do think the cellulitis is the grossest thing I've ever seen. I think it actually got worse by the end of the episode! And since we're all already going to hell in a handbasket, I have to go to the dentist on Monday, should I yell, "Mah tooth! Mah tooth! Yer touchin' mah tooth!"

• Love 17
7 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

My mouth is dry from hanging open ever since I saw this.  HOW.  ON.  EARTH.

I watched The Great Chinese Dinner Disaster again and the whole "gotta save me some room for dessert (fat guy snort because he's too fucking fat to properly breathe when he speaks)!"  The whole smug, self-satisfied, contented infant tone in his voice just makes me want to punch my fist into the nearest cinder block.

ETA: There needs to be a ringtone of "Aw!  Mah leg! (James K Remix version)" available immediately.

IKR?  This episode invoked the least sympathetic responses from me.  

Cracking up at the ringtone idea.  You could make it big if you posted that....have to add in "Ahmm fawlling, lift mah legs! Lift mah legs!" too.  With his daughter saying, "they [EMT] scratched his leg the last time...it's never healed"

• Love 4

Right from the get-go, it was clear that James and Lisa are in a co-dependent relationship.  He showed a toxic attitude right from the start.  Clearly the show's producers must have seen this.  I feel like they chose James just for RATINGS, and not for any snowball's chance in hell at success.

This season seems to be just loaded with shock value in every episode, especially the naked shower scenes.  The earlier seasons seemed to be more about helping people. It feels like something has changed in their goals.

Anybody else have this observation?

• Love 3

since all this is the fault of the caretakers, why not send them home and hire a caretaker that doesn't put up with their crap and feeds them exactly what they are suppose to eat. It can't cost as much as the hospital stay. 

Edited by Whyyouneedaname
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

God help me, I watched again, and I do think the cellulitis is the grossest thing I've ever seen. I think it actually got worse by the end of the episode! And since we're all already going to hell in a handbasket, I have to go to the dentist on Monday, should I yell, "Mah tooth! Mah tooth! Yer touchin' mah tooth!"

And, "The tooth is not really infected.  It's just that my new mattress makes it look that way!"

• Love 19
49 minutes ago, Honey said:

I got a tiny sadistic giggle out of the thought of him rolling around in the back of a Uhaul...."Watch the corners..willya?"  They get to Houston, and he's all in a ball in one corner of the van.

I'll show myself out now.

Laughing hard at this cuz I had the same thought.

But also grossed out.  Can you imagine the STENCH of him sitting back there in an enclosed box?  The funk AFTER 12-13 hours of sitting in the same spot cuz lord know they don't make bungee cords strong enough to hold him in place.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Trees said:

Right from the get-go, it was clear that James and Lisa are in a co-dependent relationship.  He showed a toxic attitude right from the start.  Clearly the show's producers must have seen this.  I feel like they chose James just for RATINGS, and not for any snowball's chance in hell at success.

This season seems to be just loaded with shock value in every episode, especially the naked shower scenes.  The earlier seasons seemed to be more about helping people. It feels like something has changed in their goals.

Good point.  The patients this season seem to get exponentially worse every week.  

I think James should get together with Penny for a super-sized pity party.  Penny's schlub of a husband was almost as beaten down as Lisa.  They could compare notes on their gigantic babies that do nothing but have tantrums, piss and moan, and enjoy being infantile.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

And about the past trauma in his life: (and this is my gripe with the Hoarders shows and their childhood trauma:)

A hard life and or/childhood horrors of every kind is the backstory of 98% of the human race since time began. 
Please, psychologists and social workers, stop using this as reason or explanation of why the freak of the week is in such an effed-up state. 

I don't think that's true at all.  While everybody goes through trials and tribulations in their life, a lot of people have basically normal lives.  I was teased by other schoolkids when I was a child, but I came from a loving and supportive family.  I had probably a rougher time of it as an adult, struggling to find my place in the world and dealing with long periods of unemployment and financial hardship.  But that's minor compared to, say, being sexually assaulted or spending time in prison or being the victim of an abusive partner.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Trees said:

not so much, I think they wanted to help them- I think they did hope for a good outcome for him. Obviously all participants are chosen for ratings. They feature the bottom of the barrel and they really can't guess how it will go.  we have had similar enabling family members turn around and change. They were contacted by the producers on their first GOFUNDME page and this couple responded because they thought being on TV would get them exposure and more people would feel bad and donate.

But the co-dependency was so ingrained I feel they needed more than just being handed the diet. I know they got support but they needed something extra, like a LIVE-IN Shrink. It was a pattern, he whines, then he bitches, the she appeases him, then he is nice to her. Can't just change this ingrained pattern by saying "you are killing him, you are going to die". Besides having a live-in shrink they had no hope to change their behavior - it was too far gone. If she didn't quit feeding him when she was changing his huge smelly shit pads and his oozing pores, just going to Houston is not going to wake her up either.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 5

I'm honestly 1 episode away from deleting this show from my DVR, as the last 3 episodes have featured the least likable people on the planet. James was the worst. Did he seriously try and tell Dr Now that he gained 158 lbs because they "offered him no services"? Did he seriously make his girlfriend sleep on the floor? Did he seriously allow his ill father to refinance his house to get him to Houston and then do absolutely nothing to help himself? Did he seriously believe that surgery would magically fix everything? Did he seriously experience heart failure and then turn around and continue eating himself to death? Did he seriously say there was "nothing he could do" if Dr Now turned him away? Did he seriously take his daughter out of school to care for him? Did he seriously cry when the EMT touched his arm on a railing trying to move him? OMG. Is he serious?

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, IOU Payne said:

And they succeeded.   (Too bad this site has many former posters from Television WITHOUT Pity!)  

Not really they only raised $459 out of the $50,000 they asked for!

hasn't walked since ..his hospital bed he had broke about a yr ago and he could no longer get out of the bed do to the bed breaking and then he just got worse from then on out...he was hospitalized In Louisville about a yr ago and was sent home and got worse when he was sent home...he has been on every diet there is and nothing is helping he drinks nothing but water and is very active for someone his size...

• Love 2

Having been a long time viewer, I didn't necessarily find his unlikable like I found Penny (SHE made me want to commit violence).  James was laughable though because it was clear that he really didn't want to help himself.  Weight loss is hard but more than physically difficult is the mental difficulties because you have to have a certain amount of discipline.  It was clear early on that he hasn't really committed and felt that weight loss surgery was a magic bullet.

Another sad trend is that those who are immobile tend to end up immobile when they continually refuse to try to get up on their own.  It's a story that's played out over and over again on this show.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Good point.  The patients this season seem to get exponentially worse every week.  

I think James should get together with Penny for a super-sized pity party.  Penny's schlub of a husband was almost as beaten down as Lisa.  They could compare notes on their gigantic babies that do nothing but have tantrums, piss and moan, and enjoy being infantile.  

I was thinking along the same lines but projecting it forward a bit. After James and Penny go to that Big Burger Stand in the Sky (and we all know they're going sooner rather than later) Lisa and Penny's hubby could hook up. They could have a pee-pad burning party and go to the grocery store together for a romantic date. Stranger things have happened...

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

One thing I noticed but forgot to mention - James NEVER says "please" or "thank you".  To ANYbody.  For anything.  Not to Lisa.  When she asks him if he wants food, he barks out "yes".  Not "yes, please".  Just "yes".  And when she wipes his bottom and changes his poo pad, there is no "thank you".  No "thank you" to the firemen and EMTs that have to hoist his fat butt.  Or to the doctor and nurses who are trying to help him.  No please or thank you to his daughter, who's life has been put on hold.  Or to his elderly father who just took out a mortgage on his house to move his son to Houston.

That, alone, would earn a slapped face from me, if we were to ever meet.

He did thank the EMTs once, after first bitching and moaning endlessly, of course. 

That was one time out of zillions of interactions. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

I still don't understand why the girlfriend "made" the daughter drop out of school to care for James.

Income? Maybe she figured out a way for both of them to get paid as caretakers?

• Love 3

I had to create an account just so I could get in on the comments. I agree with everything I've read here. You can be overweight, ignorant, dirty or whatever else you want to be, but if you don't want to help yourself don't ask someone else to help you. 

And with a little sleuthing I found out girlfriend is 56. I think she looks much older. Also it seems they are still in Houston and plan on being there a couple years as they continue their journey. So far this hasn't been a weight loss journey, weight loss train wreck, weight loss disaster, weight loss gone wrong........

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Trees said:

Income? Maybe she figured out a way for both of them to get paid as caretakers?

Maybe.  Hadn't thought of that.  But, I'm sure it was more about not being able to bathe James or move his poo pads (since he was catheterized), so in theory he would have to sit there in his own funk all day until she had at least one more person that could help her lift him to clean that area.

I feel really bad that his father mortgaged his house to send them to Houston and he wasted the effort.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yes Trees absolutely yes! I was thinking the same thing. There's no way TLC could've missed the train wreck that is this family.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Lunula said:

I'm honestly 1 episode away from deleting this show from my DVR, as the last 3 episodes have featured the least likable people on the planet. James was the worst. Did he seriously try and tell Dr Now that he gained 158 lbs because they "offered him no services"? Did he seriously make his girlfriend sleep on the floor? Did he seriously allow his ill father to refinance his house to get him to Houston and then do absolutely nothing to help himself? Did he seriously believe that surgery would magically fix everything? Did he seriously experience heart failure and then turn around and continue eating himself to death? Did he seriously say there was "nothing he could do" if Dr Now turned him away? Did he seriously take his daughter out of school to care for him? Did he seriously cry when the EMT touched his arm on a railing trying to move him? OMG. Is he serious?

As I recall,  the first time this was aired it was packaged more as a series of documentaries, rather than a reality show series.   Each several-hour episode focused on seven years in the life of one bariatric patient. This gave the viewer the opportunity to get to know each  as a complex person, rather than as a caricature.   The reality show formula relies on the latter;. So "shock value" becomes a key method to keep advertisers on board and ratings high enough to justify series renewal.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Trees said:

What I was wondering is how Dr NOW can understand these uneducated folks with their bad grammar and heavy accents?  English is his 2nd language! 

Given that Dr Now has lived in the United States since the 70s, he's probably more American than Apple pie (yeah he has a strong accent but no trouble understanding everything).

English is my third language, I've lived n the US for just a couple of years and I don't have an issue understanding the hillbillies and paupers on tlc shows :). 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

He did thank the EMTs once, after botching and moaning endlessly, of course. 

That was one time out of zillions of interactions. 

Most patients are grateful for their care but there are the ones like James who are absolutely insufferable. Willing to bet he's one of those patients who screams when the IV is started, screams when blood is drawn, screams when a shot is given. With patients like this--especially knowing how James is--sometimes you just gotta be like, "You need to stop screaming at us and act like an adult, we're trying to help you." 

James was by far the most odious and detestable patient ever featured. 

• Love 8

Why do all these behemoth bariatric patients seem to have the same weird splayed out legs? They all look like they have the legs of a plastic baby doll whose legs have been turned out in their sockets. I am a normal size and tried to get my legs to do that and it was painful in the hips to keep them in that position.

Also, every time he moves his bowels it must be the size of a cow pie. That thought just occurred to me and I generously thought I would share it with all of you. You're welcome.

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 22
13 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Let's just imagine for a moment that this waste of space DOES stick to a 1200 calorie diet and loses 200 pounds. He gets the Magical Surgery and continues to lose weight, down to, say 400 pounds. He gets the patented Dr. Now Slash 'N Staple Skin Surgery and continues to lose weight (remember, this is all in ImaginaryLand). First off, what kind of shape is his skin going to be in after all these years of skin rot, infection and fungus? Next, he hasn't walked in years. His skeleton has to be a mess from years of supporting massive weight then years of laying in bed. His muscles are non-existent. His internal organs are probably pudding. Finally, he hasn't mentally developed passed a three year old. He won't magically turn into an independent, family-supporting man with a normal pain tolerance level. Even if he gets the surgery and reduces his weight, HE WILL STILL BE JAMES K!

To use his own words, why bother? 

Excellent point.  Plus, he's in heart failure.  I doubt any form of surgery would be possible.  Bring on the cheesecake and gravy.

Just now, gardendiva said:

Why do all these behemoth bariatric patients seem to have the same weird splayed out legs? They all look like they have the legs of a plastic baby doll whose legs have been turned out in their sockets. I am a normal size and tried to get my legs to do that and it was painful in the hips to keep them in that position.

Thighs are so gigantic that they can't get any closer to each other?  Just a guess.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trees said:

The "Supersized" episode last night displayed that the first gravy-covered breakfast totalled almost 1,200 calories right there.

Actually, it said 1600 plus.  That is more than most people eat in a day.

• Love 2

"He's very active for someone his size.." BWAHAHAHA!!!! Unless you classify shoveling in food by the pound and screaming "ow" all day, as active.  I almost hurt myself laughing at that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I have watched this show since the beginning, when Melissa was the first person profiled.  Look how this show has evolved, and not in a good way.  Now it's ..Let's find the most shocking case/person we can find.   To me, this episode should have never been made/aired.    Now...since I'm going to join many of you in hell, here are my thoughts about James and his situation.  I never realized that people in this day and age can be so ignorant. How could neither he or Lisa grasp their actual situation? It seemed like he had the mind of a child and had no real clue how dire his situation is/was.  Lisa looked completely beat down to me..her eyes were just dead.

Kudos for Dr. Now for telling them off and dumping James as a patient..enough is enough.  This episode made me laugh and then made me feel bad for doing so.  Laughed at his glee when Lisa asked if he wanted dessert. His YEAH reply was like a child's when asked if they wanted a cookie.  Laughed when he was getting bounced around in the ambulance.  Laughed every time he said "ow" my legs. Laughed when he said he had asked for a nutritionist.  The entire episode was tragically comical.

PS..his legs were the most disgusting things I have ever seen! Even if he got to somewhat of a normal size, provided he doesn't die first, the chances of him walking again are zero.

Edited by Swiss
spelling
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, operalover said:

Because he might have to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and she won't hear him if she sleeps in the bedroom. Even though she said she would hear him he whined and whined about it so finally she said "ill fix a pallet on the floor then"...he wore her down with his whining.

Yeah they are sleeping 10 feet apart in an 800 sq ft apartment....not on opposite ends of the White House.  It was just another demonstration of his abusive control of this woman.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

Interested to see if anyone actually reaches a normal weight eventually.  I don't see any reports of that online.  I think they may all be so happy to just get down to a lesser obese status. 

Some of them do within 2 years.  More of them after 3.  Someone compiled some links to past patients' Facebook pages and web sites

Christina Phillips, for example, got down to about 170 pounds and looks absolutely gorgeous.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

It seemed like James thought that just getting to Houston would be the magic bullet, like, here I am in Houston--POOF! Skinny!

They are staying in Houston because they don't have 10K to take him back to KY. Also he doesn't want to subject himself to the 13 hour drive. That is the real issue not to get help.

In the beginning of the show he kept saying "I have 2 choices: stay here and die or get to Houston" No, bubba there is a 3rd choice: stop shoving food in your mouth! Going to Houston is not going to change anything!!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I was thinking 3 fires might be a nice insurance payout.  Just sayin'.

Unless they are building campfires in the living room for weenie roasts, 3 fires are a bit much.  Something weird is amiss.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

There were many jaw-dropping moments during this episode.  I think the two things that stood out most for me were James with the fully loaded plates balanced on his sternum, level with his mouth as he scraped mountains of food into his face (how do you eat in that position??) and Dr. Nowzaradan finally telling him after gaining 150 lbs (150 lbs??!!! Dear lord, how does one achieve that???) , "I'm troo wit you; you cannot keep making excuses. You are not changing eating habit and I am not going to treat you anymore."  Then adding his gnome-like, "good-bye." And turning and walking away.

As a medical provider, I've seen my share of people with problems.  But there are a couple of types.  Some are just unpreventable, sad and tragic- kids with congenital, life ending heart defects.  People stricken with MS or cancer or Lou Gehrig's disease.  Others are just the perfect storm of bad genetics, bad circumstance and poor choices.  I've seen people who develop heart infections given miraculous second chances at life, only to go out and continue to shoot heroin.  I've seen people who learn after a lifetime of self-abuse take good care of themselves so that they can live longer and be with their families.  

My point is that a doctor is not always someone who "cures" you.  Ruptured appendix? Brain aneurysm? Yes, they can fix that and save your life. But other, chronic illnesses or those stemming from poor self-care? Docs and their procedures are just a part of the process in healing and self-care.  Patients need to work in conjunction with their providers to work on the plan. Yes, have your surgery or take your pills, but don't expect that's the end of it.  Be involved in your own life and health.  It can be annoying for a patient to say, "I heard on TV maybe I should use XYZ drug," especially if they are looking for a quick cure-all for their problems.  James is the poster child for people who don't understand what medicine can- and can't- do.  And the sad fact is, doctors can't fix everything, and some people are just destined to be ill or die young.  Sometimes due to their own ignorance or unwillingness to help themselves, and sometimes due to things out of their control. In this situation, he assumed no control for himself.

When Dr. Now said to him "James what do you think we can do for you?" he was addressing just that idea that Dr. Now could somehow fix this mess without him doing a fucking thing.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

I still don't understand why the girlfriend "made" the daughter drop out of school to care for James.

Probably because it's impossible  for one person to take care of that worthless sack of skin and fat,   and she obviously cares more about him than she does about her daughter.  But we all know he's good with the ladies because he told the EMTs so.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, operalover said:

There are 2 gofundme pages and on the other one, lots of people commented. https://www.gofundme.com/h974k26s

The pictures, Lord, the pictures.  Catheter and all.  Page should come with a warning.  

Is it bad that I had to laugh that the largest donation is from a Mexican restaurant?  $304!  Do you think maybe he was their best customer?  More rice and beans for James!

Maybe sell some of the pricey electronics before asking others for money.  

Three house fires.... insurance companies won't touch them now unless they pay astronomical premiums, if then.  

He was orgasmic over the desserts. I can't believe I've watched it twice.  I'm the one who needs help.  

• Love 16
31 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Let's just imagine for a moment that this waste of space DOES stick to a 1200 calorie diet and loses 200 pounds. He gets the Magical Surgery and continues to lose weight, down to, say 400 pounds. He gets the patented Dr. Now Slash 'N Staple Skin Surgery and continues to lose weight (remember, this is all in ImaginaryLand). First off, what kind of shape is his skin going to be in after all these years of skin rot, infection and fungus? Next, he hasn't walked in years. His skeleton has to be a mess from years of supporting massive weight then years of laying in bed. His muscles are non-existent. His internal organs are probably pudding. Finally, he hasn't mentally developed passed a three year old. He won't magically turn into an independent, family-supporting man with a normal pain tolerance level. Even if he gets the surgery and reduces his weight, HE WILL STILL BE JAMES K!

To use his own words, why bother? 

Because weight-loss surgery is magic!

Edited by Kid
  • Love 5