Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Haenim said:

How the hell do you gain that much weight in such a short amount of time?

Did you see the two huge burgers and wheelbarrow of fries he ate for dinner followed by a half of a pie?!  And his breakfast alone is more than I eat in a week.  He's immobile and probably goes to sleep right after he's done stuffing his piehole.  That's how!

• Love 6

I am not trying to gross anyone out but I googled "severe cellulitis" (on the off chance) I would see James' legs represented there.  DO NOT DO IT.  How does anyone un see black, rotting holes in flesh.

If he has cellulitis, it is not a severe kind.  I am hazarding a guess that he is also afflicted with lymphedema.  I recall in the 1000 pound woman episode (also a Dr. Now patient), he prescribed a medication to her to encourage the lymphatic fluid to weep or drain from her tissues.

He looks like he has some sort of weeping drainage from his tissue as well.

On a lighter note, every time I heard him yell "oww, mah lahhyggs", I would just scream at the TV "have some more food, James."  Mean, but it made ME feel better.

Hell, HERE I come!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, gardendiva said:

I think he has more than one go fund me, because the one I found had tons of comments on it. It also stated that "he has been on every diet there is and nothing is helping he drinks nothing but water and is very active for someone his size.."

i just laughed and laughed...

Do these people not understand what cameras are? I mean I know there is a lot of editing but last time I checked water wasn't orange. Maybe the meant he had one meal with nothing but water. And he may be very active for someone his size since most people that get near 900 pounds die.

Edited by FCOL
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I swear, this whole season every episode has had me thinking "This person is terrible.  Worst ever."  Then the next week there is someone even worse.

BTW there is a new episode next week, then another after that with an interesting description...

Two brothers weigh nearly 1400 pounds combined, and their father drives them 35 hours to see a doctor even though they can't stand each other.

Followup on this:  I was stumbling around on Facebook last night and found this page, from one of the patients from the show that will air on the 29th.  I guess it's a bit of a spoiler...

Spoiler

He looks to be relatively slim.  That is, not as huge as the patients usually are.  Looks like some loose and saggy skin.  So I'm guessing there will be interpersonal drama between him and his brother (since reality show love drama), but his weight loss will be a success. 

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, Carrie said:

I don't know but I really like the idea of taking a scalpel to those blisters...

As person who has the compulsive need to lance and and clean out anything at the first sign of infection, I could not agree more. But I have a feeling those bumps on his legs are nothing as simple as pimples or boils, or even a healed over infected cut.

Still... we've seen how people can let their weight get out of control, but how can you ignore an infection getting that bad? 

Also can you imagine keeping a catheter sterile enough to avoid UTIs in such an infectious environment in the immediate area? I'm surprised UTIs were never mentioned as a reoccurring problem for James.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Carrie said:

James should be forced to sit down and watch all those early- to mid -2000's TLC specials on super obese people - because they are ALL dead now!  The Haitian woman; the Mexican guy; the 1/2-ton man;

I didn't know Patrick Deuel died! He and the wife were another example of toxic co-dependency.  

ETA: During last night's Supersized episode, one of the captions said that three of James' homes burned down. One house fire I could understand, but THREE?! Either they keep buying faulty Fry Daddy deep fryers or someone is a firebug. 

Edited by Guest
10 hours ago, Kid said:

He has money for an iPhone too!  Do y'all who don't use Apple devices know how much an iPhone cost!

You can get iPhones free or really cheap on a lot of plans. The older models are practically given away when a new one comes out. My husband and son have never paid for an iPhone.

10 hours ago, okerry said:

On another note, I always wish that a therapist - or someone - would get these patients interested in doing something other than eating. Even if you're bedbound you could type on a keyboard and maybe earn a little money with that, or volunteer your time for some cause that needs things typed up.

Or learn to sew, knit, crochet, or embroider, and make things either for sale or for donation. Keep your hands and your mind occupied. It'll take your mind at least somewhat off of nonstop gorging and give you at least some sense of purpose.

Just a thought.

There was one guy who was also huge and bed bound, who knitted. What was his name? He lived with his mother and she was also huge but still mobile. But would you wear a scarf or pair of mittens knitted by James? I wouldn't.

8 hours ago, vicegrip said:

He said "Ow mah leg!" so much that I was starting to think that the editors at TLC took the original sound clip of James saying that the first time and just played it at random intervals throughout the show. 

I watched the supersized version last night and I laughed like a hyena everytime he said "ow, mah leg!". I am a horrible person. Save me a seat on that party bus to hell.

7 hours ago, DNR said:

James probably left food  burning in the toaster oven and burned down the house while they were at the funeral 

LOL I actually emitted a small scream when I read this! Too funny!

7 hours ago, steff13 said:

"Now is really not the best time for me to leave my family."  Yeah, what are they going to do without him? 

I don't know! Maybe start living their lives free of your incessant bawling and demands? Take a walk in the sunshine? Go to a movie?

• Love 6
15 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

Had to laugh, that no matter how grim, these episodes insist on some kind of 'happy' ending.,  James manages to kinda sit up, with three adults hauling him up, the upbeat music swells and were all supposed to feel uplifted?  Snort!

That may well have been my favorite part of the whole thing.  That they were scraping so hard to find something, anything to use as the "victory moment" to close out the episode. 

It reminds me of when Behind the Music did an episode on Weird Al Yankovic.  Behind the Music's whole gimmick was that it would do a story about some rock star's rise to fame, followed by their slow and tragic decline due to drugs and/or alcohol.  Except Weird Al has dedicated his life to living clean and healthy, so the best they could come up with was a minor spat he had with Coolio over Weird Al's song "Amish Paradise" from his 1995 "Bad Hair Day" album.  Coolio was offended by Al's parody.  Al usually talks to the artists to get their permission, but due to a miscommunication he thought he had Coolio's permission when he didn't.  20+ years later, people still ask Weird Al about this, because it's just about the only drama he's ever had in his 35+ year music career.

• Love 16

Yesterday, I watched the "Where Are They Now?" episode for Joe.  I forget Joe's episode, but he had a slow start.  Which isn't uncommon.  A lot of participants are told to lose weight after their first meeting with Dr. Now, but then don't take it seriously enough and fail.  Most of these take it as a wake-up call and turn it around.  Too bad James K.  couldn't.

Anyway, back to Joe.... At the beginning of his weight loss journey, he weight about 775 pounds... the same as James K.  But he didn't have those terrible growths on his legs.  He didn't use a catheter.  He could still move (with great difficulty) and mostly take care of himself.  I don't think he left the house much because he had trouble fitting into a car.

James K. on the other hand... immobile, terrible misshapen legs, can't even use the toilet.  Can't even move.  Is basically a human-walrus hybrid. 

How did two men of the same weight have such wildly different lives?

• Love 7
15 hours ago, kgg said:

Lisa, Bailey, and James' father would be better off if James died.  I don't even feel bad saying that.

And you shouldn't.  Victims of abuse are better off without their abuser.  Who would argue that?  I mean if they were financially dependent on the abuser possibly but that's not the case here.

• Love 3

Most of these episodes there is an enabler.  Sometimes there are patients who are still functional enough to get out and get their own food, but that's the exception.  When asked why the enabler keeps feeding the patient, they often say something like "if I don't, he gets angry and abusive and yells a lot".  This I believe was the first time they actually showed that in practice.  I wish they would do it that way more often.  You know that the film crew is capturing it.  More of this, fewer disgusting shower scenes and boring therapist scenes.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

James K. on the other hand... immobile, terrible misshapen legs, can't even use the toilet.  Can't even move.  Is basically a human-walrus hybrid. 

Omg an incredible description for James ... Human-walrus hybrid  Spot On!!!!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I think there are a few important things:  Joe had not been bed bound for years.  James apparently hurt his ankle or leg and that was the end of his mobility.  Joe also had a job for years.  James didn't work for almost 2 decades - because of a poor economy?  Because of his weight?  Because he is lazy?  (Probably the last one.)  Even though Joe looked older, I'm pretty sure he was in his early or mid-30's.  James was a decade older.  I think the biggest thing, though, was that James had a live-in enabler.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

And you shouldn't.  Victims of abuse are better off without their abuser.  Who would argue that?  I mean if they were financially dependent on the abuser possibly but that's not the case here.

Sadly, many of these people need to be a 'victim' so they'll go from one abuser to the next. 

• Love 6

Halfway through this episode and I just have a handy hint for James.   You don't have to yell "ow" EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME something is uncomfortable.  Sometimes you might want to suck it up and endure.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Yesterday, I watched the "Where Are They Now?" episode for Joe.  I forget Joe's episode, but he had a slow start.  Which isn't uncommon.  A lot of participants are told to lose weight after their first meeting with Dr. Now, but then don't take it seriously enough and fail.  Most of these take it as a wake-up call and turn it around.  Too bad James K.  couldn't.

Anyway, back to Joe.... At the beginning of his weight loss journey, he weight about 775 pounds... the same as James K.  But he didn't have those terrible growths on his legs.  He didn't use a catheter.  He could still move (with great difficulty) and mostly take care of himself.  I don't think he left the house much because he had trouble fitting into a car.

I remember Joe because people would post nasty comments on his Facebook page.  He became angry and started blocking people.  They were questioning him constantly begging for money on Gofundme to pay for his wedding - to the girl he met once, then proposed - and for a down payment on a house.  He wanted all of these things but wanted others to pay for it which royally pissed a lot of people off.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Halfway through this episode and I just have a handy hint for James.   You don't have to yell "ow" EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME something is uncomfortable.  Sometimes you might want to suck it up and endure.  

Apparently he isn't concerned about looking like a man-baby...on national tv. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, steff13 said:

"Now is really not the best time for me to leave my family."  Yeah, what are they going to do without him? 

Yes, that comment pissed me off too - he does NOTHING for his hostages - he burdens them in every way possible.  The reason he did not want to go into the hospital, and wanted to go home when he was in one, was because HIS FOOD WAS RESTRICTED TO 800 or  1200  calories a day!!   No hostages there.  He can whine and complain til hell freezes over, they will not give him what he wants to eat. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

ETA: During last night's Supersized episode, one of the captions said that three of James' homes burned down. One house fire I could understand, but THREE?! Either they keep buying faulty Fry Daddy deep fryers or someone is a firebug. 

That would fit.  Pyromania is an addiction too and this family is steeped in addiction and codependency.

• Love 9

I just watched this, at 4 am, after having read this thread.  I found myself more furious with his wife!!!  

When he dies, and he will, she will not be free as she said!  She blames him for her life.   She will remain in her own prison that she continues to create all by herself.  She will find another to abuse her.   I had no empathy for either of them.   

She tells Dr Now that he is really trying though he has ups and downs.   Rice is on the list you cannot eat, says she and he replies, its fried.  Ha ha ha, as if that means it is not what the list meant! 

I havent seen a lot of this series but I am interested to see if anyone actually reaches a normal weight eventually.  I don't see any reports of that online.  I think they may all be so happy to just get down to a lesser obese status. 

Infection is going to kill Joe.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I would be curious to question him on the fried rice thing. Is he thinking that because fried rice is brownish that its actually a long grain rice? I mean not that it matters since they are both high in crabs which is what he needs to cut back on, but I am just trying to figure out the logic of why fried rice wouldn't be as bad for you as just plain rice.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Most of these episodes there is an enabler.  Sometimes there are patients who are still functional enough to get out and get their own food, but that's the exception.  When asked why the enabler keeps feeding the patient, they often say something like "if I don't, he gets angry and abusive and yells a lot".  This I believe was the first time they actually showed that in practice.  I wish they would do it that way more often.  You know that the film crew is capturing it.  More of this, fewer disgusting shower scenes and boring therapist scenes.

And do you notice how the addict always throws the enabler under the bus! In a very accusatory tone as well.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, swankie said:

I'm probably going to hell for this, but I seriously thought his father was puking because of the smell in the room.  Between his stinking poo pad and his diseased legs, ewwww!  I just made myself gag!

I hadn't thought of this, but it sure makes sense.  They didn't say WHEN his father had the small stroke (as in "upon reaching the hospital, it was determined that James' father had just had a stroke").  And he was back not too much later in the episode.  

• Love 5
On 3/15/2017 at 8:30 PM, BXD said:

Of all the causes to donate to, this one would not exactly be my first choice...

That would not make my top million choice list either.

This is the first episode that I have actively screamed at the tv & cheered when Dr Now laid out the "girlfriend".  

So they just decided to go to Houston without an invite or reason to go?  What exactly was he thinking they could do for him if he wasn't willing to stop eating five sausages and a mess of eggs covered with a gallon of white glue, I mean, gravy?

• Love 3

when he knows he is going to get caught in his lie (weighed) he says "Now is not the best time for me to leave my family"-- it's my favorite line in the whole show!! AS IF HE DOES ANYTHING FOR THEM!!! I also love the line "Live is meant to be enjoyed. I just need to balance that with what I need to do"...ha ha ha as he shovels in the cheesecake

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Lizz said:

"What's the point of being on a diet when you can't get no help?"  

The tidbit at the bottom of the screen said that James had recently had fever, vomiting and bowel issues.  How can he still eat plate loads of greasy food?

Food is funny like that.  On the one hand, it makes you sick to eat it.  On the other hand, it's so delicious!  Every Thanksgiving my father makes these things he calls "potato skins", but what they really are is a potato cut in half lengthwise, slightly scooped out, then filled with bacon and cheese.  They're super delicious but they're also potatoes, which tend to swell in your stomach.  Plus I eat the things like they're French Fries.  Then after that comes the usual gluttonous Thanksgiving feast.  Then desert.  On major holidays like this I tend to stuff my face past the point of physical discomfort and sometimes to the point of vomiting.  Food feels good going into your mouth, and sometimes that good feeling is so addictive that the bad feeling of puking and heartburn are ignored.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

That would not make my top million choice list either.

This is the first episode that I have actively screamed at the tv & cheered when Dr Now laid out the "girlfriend".  

So they just decided to go to Houston without an invite or reason to go?  What exactly was he thinking they could do for him if he wasn't willing to stop eating five sausages and a mess of eggs covered with a gallon of white glue, I mean, gravy?

It looks like they were first contacted on his First GoFundMe page by the show. I think they thought it would be a free ride and money and exposure which would get people to donate more to his GoFundMe. I could just hear them-  producer wants to talk to us, we is gonna be on TeeVee!!! They never thought about actually having to do anything!

Edited by operalover
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, FCOL said:

I would be curious to question him on the fried rice thing. Is he thinking that because fried rice is brownish that its actually a long grain rice? I mean not that it matters since they are both high in crabs which is what he needs to cut back on, but I am just trying to figure out the logic of why fried rice wouldn't be as bad for you as just plain rice.

You know...I live outside of NYC so I was used to being able to order "brown rice fried rice" from local Chinese food places.  But when I traveled home to MD (of all places), I ordered brown rice fried rice and got white rice that had a lot of soy sauce on it to make it "brown".  That was AFTER I asked if they used brown rice and everything too...

But eating rice is TERRIBLE if you are trying hard to avoid carbs.

Just now, operalover said:

It looks like they were first contacted on his First GoFundMe page by the show. I think they thought it would be a free ride and money and exposure which would get people to donate more to his GoFundMe. I could just here them-  producer wants to talk to us, we is gonna be on TeeVee!!! They never thought about actually having to do anything!

Ohhhh...that explains a lot.

But what kills me is that this show has been on for YEARS.  It's not like you can't go back and get an idea of how the program works.  So why do so many think that they don't need to do anything but get some surgery that magically fixes everything?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, operalover said:

when he knows he is going to get caught in his lie (weighed) he says "Now is not the best time for me to leave my family"-- it's my favorite line in the whole show!! AS IF HE DOES ANYTHING FOR THEM!!!

I laughed at that one too. Did he forget he's immobile? He can't "leave" anywhere without the kindness of strangers.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I just watched this, at 4 am, after having read this thread.  I found myself more furious with his wife!!!  

When he dies, and he will, she will not be free as she said!  She blames him for her life.   She will remain in her own prison that she continues to create all by herself.  She will find another to abuse her.   I had no empathy for either of them.   

She tells Dr Now that he is really trying though he has ups and downs.   Rice is on the list you cannot eat, says she and he replies, its fried.  Ha ha ha, as if that means it is not what the list meant! 

I havent seen a lot of this series but I am interested to see if anyone actually reaches a normal weight eventually.  I don't see any reports of that online.  I think they may all be so happy to just get down to a lesser obese status. 

Infection is going to kill Joe.  

I totally agree.  I think she is used to being a caregiver because she had 6 kids.  She's probably never worked outside the home and when she hooked up with James she was thinking, "Well this beats having to go out and get a real job."  A lot of the men with obese women seem to do the same thing.

• Love 2

Michael Stabosz:

“James K on the other hand…immobile, terrible misshapen legs, can’t even use the toilet.  Can’t even move.  Is basically a human-walrus hybrid.”

That is accurate description of James.

• Love 2

Alright I have a cast iron stomach.  Heck I've eaten food during an autopsy in my past, so the human body doesn't gross me out.

BUT - those shots of James legs and skin was the nastiest thing I've seen that really made my stomach flip a little.  And EVERY TIME he whined about this hurt and that hurt, my attitude wasn't that of sympathy but more of "suck it up buttercup."

Also, why was Lisa sleeping on the floor?

Edited by Noirprncess
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, KittyKat94 said:

I totally agree.  I think she is used to being a caregiver because she had 6 kids.  She's probably never worked outside the home and when she hooked up with James she was thinking, "Well this beats having to go out and get a real job."  A lot of the men with obese women seem to do the same thing.

This makes sense.  I would love to know what her 6 kids think of her life now.  It is very possible that they are as much of a mess as she is.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

Alright I have a cast iron stomach.  Heck I've eaten food during an autopsy in my past, so the human body doesn't gross me out.

BUT - those shots of James legs and skin was the nastiest thing I've seen that really made my stomach flip a little.  And EVERY TIME he whined about this hurt and that hurt, my attitude wasn't that of sympathy but more of "suck it up buttercup."

Also, why was Lisa sleeping on the floor?

Because he might have to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and she won't hear him if she sleeps in the bedroom. Even though she said she would hear him he whined and whined about it so finally she said "ill fix a pallet on the floor then"...he wore her down with his whining.

• Love 3

One thing I am curious about.  Lisa said that James would yell if she didn't bring him food.

That's not what I observed.  Mostly she was offering him food, even offering second helpings using her sweetest voice.  Instructing Bayley on the exact manner in which he enjoys his gargantuan breakfast - doused in gravy.  Quickly running to get Chinese food.  Bringing him huge portions of dessert while cooing, is it good?  Do you like it?  Are you pleased? How 'bout that pie?

He didn't need to put up much of a fuss for Lisa to excitedly deliver the calories, like he's doing her a favor somehow.  She was abjectly submissive.

• Love 17

I'm watching it again so he gained the 120 or so pounds the first time- and then swore up and down he was going to do it this time, so dr now but him on the hospital contolled diet, sent him home for 2 months and he came back and had gained another 3 pounds? Maybe it was 3 times he failed and lied?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

You forgot his breakfasts.  They must be eleventy billion calories.

The "Supersized" episode last night displayed that the first gravy-covered breakfast totalled almost 1,200 calories right there.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Kid said:

That would fit.  Pyromania is an addiction too and this family is steeped in addiction and codependency.

I was thinking 3 fires could happen just by James passing gas and a candle burning near by.   KABOOM !!!

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

One thing I am curious about.  Lisa said that James would yell if she didn't bring him food.

That's not what I observed.  Mostly she was offering him food, even offering second helpings using her sweetest voice.  Instructing Bayley on the exact manner in which he enjoys his gargantuan breakfast - doused in gravy.  Quickly running to get Chinese food.  Bringing him huge portions of dessert while cooing, is it good?  Do you like it?  Are you pleased? How 'bout that pie?

He didn't need to put up much of a fuss for Lisa to excitedly deliver the calories, like he's doing her a favor somehow.  She was abjectly submissive.

Good point.  I am sure he does yell but she doesn't wait until that point.  She feeds him in order to avoid his anger.   Anyway you cut it, she is killing him.  I am not dismissing the possibility that this is a subconscious desire of hers.  

• Love 9
Just now, AZChristian said:

I was thinking 3 fires might be a nice insurance payout.  Just sayin'.

Just in time to pay for the funeral, too...

The great thing about fires is that they get rid of the smell, the flies, the stains on the carpet, and all the broken up junk piled in every corner.

• Love 10
Just now, wings707 said:

Good point.  I am sure he does yell but she doesn't wait until that point.  She feeds him in order to avoid his anger.   Anyway you cut it, she is killing him.  I am not dismissing the possibility that this is a subconscious desire of hers.  

Maybe she finds satisfying his bottomless love of food gratifying.  It's easy to make him super-happy... pizza, burgers, fries and cake!  Other people are much more complex... James is so simple to please, a second helping of cake and the guy is over the moon.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I can see her being into S&M...'Hit me with that big 2x4 master, thank you, may I have another?' I've never seen a woman so submissive. Sleep on the floor? Sure! Take the wrapper off your 5lb burger? No problem! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I was thinking 3 fires might be a nice insurance payout.  Just sayin'.

Just in time to pay for the funeral, too...

The great thing about fires is that they get rid of the smell, the flies, the stains on the carpet, and all the broken up junk piled in every corner.

Gilbert Grape.........

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, Hana Chan said:

What a surprise - he's too big to fit in the van. I suppose they could always rent a U-Haul.

I got a tiny sadistic giggle out of the thought of him rolling around in the back of a Uhaul...."Watch the corners..willya?"  They get to Houston, and he's all in a ball in one corner of the van.

I'll show myself out now.

• Love 20
19 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I did hear that, but thought I missed the bed disaster story!

Closed captioning is a great idea!!! I'm doing that from now on!

What I was wondering is how Dr NOW can understand these uneducated folks with their bad grammar and heavy accents?  English is his 2nd language! 

18 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

He complained that Dr. Now did not arrange for James to see a nutritionist upon his arrival to Houston.

Yep, he was screaming at Dr Now that he didn't "get any services".  I was so glad that Dr Now yelled right back at him, shutting him down.  Always looking to blame someone else....

• Love 13