Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Ill-Boding Patterns

• Start Topic

That proposal was (insert your own expletive). It had nothing to do with CS. Emma wasn't even acting like herself. A swoopy camera angle does not make up for lack of writing/build-up/character motivation. A very crappy way to end a super boring episode.

Regina vs. Regina next week? No thank you.

• Love 13

Maybe it was just me, but, wow, that was dreadfully boring and pointless.

Good things:  Robin playing Regina.  Yay!

Bad things:  too numerous to mention all of them.  Waaaayyy too numerous to mention. 

Also:  I recall we mentioned, several times, how this arc would conclude with Regina realizing she was responsible and the EQRegina was part of her.  We were right.  Again. 

• Love 3

All these years I've invested in CS and that's the propsal? A bittersweet one because he got drunk and was going to tell her his secret and then he didn't? I mean, I'm not asking for some crazy proposal but I also wasn't asking for that.

Also didn't ask for 55 minutes of Rumple, whiny Bar and some character I barely care about. And if I rolled my eyes and farther after that Rumbelle scene at the end, my eyes would've been stuck.

So much potential after last week's episode was so wasted.

• Love 7

So I'm not the only one who was utterly bored. At what I was pretty sure had to be the three-quarter mark, I looked at the clock, and we were only 19 minutes into it. By the end, I was reading Twitter. Even knitting while watching wasn't enough to hold off the boredom.

After this episode, I'm ready for the show to be over. It's passed peak stupid. So, poor woobie Rumple wasn't really the evil Dark One. It was all Bae's fault that the town hated and feared him. Oh, and hero Beowulf was the real evil one.

Remember when Rumple kept the dagger hidden so that it couldn't be used against him? So now he's carrying in his back pocket at all times, so it's easy to grab?

And what the hell is the deal with everyone's obsession with being a hero?

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Remember when Emma was a main character?  Snow's had more screen time in the last two episodes.  Is Henry even in Storybrooke?  Maybe he lives on the Jolly Roger now?

Wait. Snow was in this episode? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely must have tuned out her appearance. 

• Love 4

Rumple was completely able to resist the power of the Dark One.  Bae commanded Rumple to murder.  Rumple doing evil is basically a noble effort brought on by love/protection of his children and their inherent (non-curse) darkness.

The Captain Swan engagement is just an excuse for Hook to wallow in guilt.  Completely ruined it.  Way to go.

My knee jerk reaction to EQ biting Robin Hood was... Evil Robin/Evil Queen, TLK.  FU show.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

I wish I could get back that hour of my life. Somehow the writers had me rooting *against* my favorite couple getting engaged. That proposal should have been payoff for longtime Captain Swan fans. It should've been a great moment. Instead it was shoved into a 30 second scene of a boring episode and completely ruined by an unnecessary storyline about Hook lying to Emma yet again.

The only thing I still liked about this show was Captain Swan and now it feels like that's been ruined. I miss when Once was something to look forward to on Sundays. Now it just brings boredom, disappointment, or rage. And yet I continue to watch (or at least half watch. There were scenes I completely tuned out for. Couldn't even tell you how the episode ended).

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

So I'm not the only one who was utterly bored. At what I was pretty sure had to be the three-quarter mark, I looked at the clock, and we were only 19 minutes into it. By the end, I was reading Twitter. Even knitting while watching wasn't enough to hold off the boredom.

After this episode, I'm ready for the show to be over. It's passed peak stupid. So, poor woobie Rumple wasn't really the evil Dark One. It was all Bae's fault that the town hated and feared him. Oh, and hero Beowulf was the real evil one.

Remember when Rumple kept the dagger hidden so that it couldn't be used against him? So now he's carrying in his back pocket at all times, so it's easy to grab?

And what the hell is the deal with everyone's obsession with being a hero?

2 minutes ago, Arynm said:

They are really trying to redeem Rumple arent they? Even at the cost(almost) of Baelfire.

It's their MO, prop up the villains using the other characters unfortunately.

• Love 6

Did the Evil Queen amp up the protection spell to keep people from leaving town? I didn't remember that, just that Henry, Violet, Emma, Regina, and Rumple were all able to leave town at the end of last season.

Emma doesn't read Hook very well, given her supposed superpower. She didn't pick up on the fact that he was really upset, and it wasn't just nerves.

• Love 6

So, obviously Bae was forced to read Beowulf in senior English too.  A worthy use of the Dark One...  But a memory potion doesn't undarken your heart, so it's official, Baelfire was dark!

Hook spent all day at Granny's drinking?

I guess we are seeing Rumple's redemption, saving his sons since...(who cares? It never works!).

What a crappy proposal.  Not only does she find the ring, she keeps it!  She knows he's drunk atleast a little, clearly out of sorts, but forces the issue.  It seems so out of character. 4 years of build up to that moment and we get depressed Killian and what looks like a completely exhausted Emma.???

Why is no one telling Gideon that killing the Savior doesn't make you the Savior?  This is just dumb beyond belief.

This whole plot has as much relevance as fake Robin.

• Love 4

At this point, I'm sure the writers have been approaching each episode with, "Which character shall we assassinate this week?"

* The actor for Baelfire was fine, but he wasn't Dylan Schmid. His face was too different for me.
* Gideon is dumb and bland. I don't care about him, and I doubt anyone but Rumple, Belle, or Blue would shed any tears if he died.
* Why the heck would Zelena want to leave Storybrooke? Why would she leave her magic and farmhouse behind?
* This episode was one long bid to woobify Rumple. Been there, done that.
* Gideon read Her Handsome Hero as a kid? No wonder he's deluded like his mother.
* Gideon had a immunity to memory tea? Does he have one for iocane powder too?
* Why was Rumple carrying the Dagger on his person? He didn't used to be that stupid.
* Shady Beowulf was not that entertaining. I guess the writers just wanted to check him off the list.
* So... the Blue Fairy forges weapons now? Shady Blue is shady.
* Regina's grandma hat was ew.
* Whoa - whoa - stop. Did Regina actually do something for someone else without expecting anything in return? Do my eyes and ears deceive me?
* GOSH. The Baelfire retcon. No, just no. They ruined Neal, they didn't need to drag Baelfire down too.
* So, the writers can now do anything they want thanks to memory potion. Want to make Zelena and Regina meet as kids? Memory water! Want Ingrid to be Emma's foster mom? Memory rock! Want Baelfire to kill someone out of vengeance like his father? Memory tea!
* How many times is the Blue Fairy going to "die" then get revived again?
* I guess it's okay to do bad things, as long as it's for someone else. Rumple can go around wiping memories and "killing" fairies for their blood as long as he does it for his son.
* Ugh. I hated seeing Zelena apologize to Regina again. I love Zelena, but Regina doesn't deserve more apologies.
* The CS proposal was crap. I'm so sorry, CS shippers. Retcon angst is more important, I guess.
* Regina saying "What... did" was great. I just wish her self-awareness came from pivotal moments, and not oddly spread out through the centric episodes. Sometimes the writers are aware she and the Evil Queen are the same person, and other times they don't.
* I ship Wish Queen so much.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Zzzzzzzzzz

Couldn't have snored it better myself. 

That battle at the beginning went on for sooooo long. I think it went on longer than any Emma/Snow interaction in the past three seasons. So Bae/Neal secretly has murderous tendencies, Rumple is just a fluffy misunderstood villain, and the writers tainted what should have been one of the most important and romantic scenes in the entire series by not allowing Killian to come clean? Oh, and apparently Emma finding the wedding ring didn't even get to be shown on screen? They don't even care about their main character's reaction? Fuck you, Show.

They better have a redo proposal after Killian comes clean because I refuse to believe the writers would allow their supposed main character's happy proposal to be a quick tacked-on 1-minute scene during a boring filler episode. Oh who am I kidding, they probably thought that proposal was Shakespearean.

2 minutes ago, Katherine said:

The only thing I still liked about this show was Captain Swan and now it feels like that's been ruined. I miss when Once was something to look forward to on Sundays. Now it just brings boredom, disappointment, or rage. And yet I continue to watch (or at least half watch. There were scenes I completely tuned out for. Couldn't even tell you how the episode ended).

It almost seems like the writers are actively trying to get the show cancelled. 

• Love 17

Wow, an episode that both managed to both bore me AND piss me off! Oh, show. I've never had a friend like you. Thank God.

So after being a loyal Captain Swan fan for YEARS now, weathering the deaths, resurrections, turns to the darkside, inability to properly communicate, and trips to Hell, we get the laziest, most bullshit proposal you can possibly imagine. In an episode where Emma (THE HERO OF THE SERIES!) is only in it for the blink of an eye? BULLSHIT! What even is this? Why are they trying to make their own fans hate them? What is the POINT?!

Honestly, I'm not even surprised at this point that they're retconing Bae into more of a bad guy to woobify Rumple more. That's how this show rolls. Neal wasn't bad enough, now they really have to throw the poor guy under a bus. Its bizarre. Its like their idea of moral ambiguity is making up stupid out of nowhere retcons where the good guys do shitty, out of character things, and the villains are made to look like the victims.

• Love 18

I'm just going to pretend like this episode never happened and make up my own head canon about Hook proposing to Emma. *drinks memory tea*

We still don't even know why Gideon thinks killing Emma will make him a hero, do we?  (Other than the sword makes people heroes, but it DOESN'T EVEN WORK.)

• Love 18

Well, this was just a continuation of the total crap from last week.  The worst thing was Hook not just 'fessing up, but I also hated the total retcon of Young Bae.  Adult Bae/Neal was a sniveling saggy baggy nobody, but I always enjoyed Young Bae.  He at least had some character and backbone despite being abandoned by his mother and being raised by Rumple (even though he grew up to be a crappy adult).  Now they took even that small bright spot away.  Thanks, This Show These Writers.  /sarcasm

What is the point of the Blue Fairy having magic, exactly?  She can barely do anything.  Not sure why her magic needed to be stolen because it's too weak to be able to do anything!  I get that she's supposed to be the creator of the sword, but obviously it doesn't have much or any magic, as Rumple said...probably because its creator barely has any.

Why is Gideon so stupid?  If he can't figure out that doing something bad (murdering people) for the right reason is still MURDER and will make him just as bad as the Black Fairy or whatever her name is supposed to be.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Curio said:

They better have a redo proposal after Killian comes clean because I refuse to believe the writers would allow their supposed main character's happy proposal to be a quick tacked-on 1-minute scene during a boring filler episode. Oh who am I kidding, they probably thought that proposal was Shakespearean.

Emma:  Here, let me shove this heart in your chest right before I go have drinks with Regina.  Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Senna said:

I'm just going to pretend like this episode never happened and make up my own head canon about Hook proposing to Emma. *drinks memory tea*

We still don't even know why Gideon thinks killing Emma will make him a hero, do we?  (Other than the sword makes people heroes, but it DOESN'T EVEN WORK.)

He's Belle's child.  There's a brain--or lack thereof--issue.

What flavor is your memory tea?  And does it have caffeine?  I drink mostly herbal noncaffeine, which technically are tisanes, I suppose.  Is there a memory tisane?

Edited by Mari
Spaces make things easier to read. Sorry.
  • Love 5

Rumple and his spawn continue to bore me.  That said, if I was a fan of Baelfire I would be pissed.  On the other hand as someone who never cared for Neal I kind of laughed at the idea that Mr. Holier Than Thou used daddy to kill.  Sadly the show as driven me to finding my moments where I can. 

As much as the engagement sucks for fans of Captain Swan and Hook -  I am beyond words pissed for Emma.  The character who had such trust issues and believed no one could ever want, love, and stay with her gets screwed over again.  She has sacrificed for everyone else on this show so they can be happy gets to have what should be one of the happiest moments in her life tainted by a stupid, unnecessary secret.  There are not enough FU in this world for this mess. 

And Belle - perhaps forget hugging the dark one and go warn Emma that your psycho spawn is after her again.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Zzzzzzzzzz

That really about says it all.

The Rumple stuff seemed very been there done that.  

It did not help that Rumple has never really shown to really think using darkness is bad, so his talk with Gideon seemed insincere and not heartfelt.  Much of Gold's noble deeds in this episode seemed more like contrived out-of-character actions to try and force a redemption on the viewer rather than anything organic to the plot or characters.  

I like the actor who plays Gideon, but there has never been shown to be any connection between him and Rumple --it was hard to feel Rumple's fatherly anguish because there has never really seemed connected.  Same with flashback Rumple and Baelfire - did not get any father son chemistry between them.  Their scenes were flat.  Neither Gold's relationship with Gideon or Baelfire came across, so you did not feel any emotional impact (esp. compared to the emotion Dallas and Colin generated in their scenes together last week).  I cringed when Belle said for the 1000th time there was hope yet.  None of the Gold family scenes pulled me and did seem to drag.

At least Regina acknowledged she did the bad things not the "evil queen", although as mentioned above - that was always predicted to be the final outcome.  I think they overuse Regina, but overall I am OK with her when they tone back the self-pity.   I will be glad when the OQ is finally gone for good.

• Love 1

I'm sorry but the Emma we all know would not say "no" that Killian killed someone she's never met. She knows his past isn't pleasant. At most she'd feel some type of way about what it does to David but this stupid show just wants unnecessary angst. It's like how The Flash had Barry ask Iris to marry him with all this angst of not knowing would he had ask her the way he did because he's seen her future? I guess it's a good thing we know Hooks been meaning to ask Emma even with her pending doom. 

I literally watched the last five minutes and only saw that scene and some of the Belle/Rumple stuff so theirs not much I can say about the episode other than Belle is trash for even thinking of getting back with Rumple.

• Love 1

She knows his past isn't pleasant

Her BFF is the freaking Evil Queen, so.

so he should have been seen as a hero as long as he wasn't using his magic to hurt or terrorize the villagers.

That was inconsistent with when Rumple returned with the dagger and started murdering people left and right. They should be afraid of him because he's the Dark One with the capacity for bloodlust, not because he slaughtered ogres.

Also, if Rumple killed all the ogres, how was there a Second Ogres War?

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 8

I would say that I need to make a cup of memory tea (I wonder if there's a Sleepytime version of that), but this episode was boring enough that it might just slip my mind, anyway.

This show is really weird and inconsistent about the way it depicts the use of magic. That whole "you can't use your powers to defeat Grendel" thing reminded me of the stupidity in season 2 when it was supposedly bad for Regina to use her magic to defend Henry against Zombie Daniel. It's bad to use dark magic to do good things. But shouldn't magic used for self defense or love to do good things be light magic? Why would defending the town against the ogres make the villagers hate Rumple? It sounds like he didn't start destroying everyone who looked at Bae funny until after these events, so he should have been seen as a hero as long as he wasn't using his magic to hurt or terrorize the villagers.

Also: Rumple is good for killing all the ogres, but Gaston was a monster for hurting one ogre?

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Did the Evil Queen amp up the protection spell to keep people from leaving town? I didn't remember that, just that Henry, Violet, Emma, Regina, and Rumple were all able to leave town at the end of last season.

Yes, she did. That was why people couldn't escape in "Heartless" when she threatened to kill the town with Lost Souls water unless Snow and David gave themselves up.

9 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Also: Rumple is good for killing all the ogres, but Gaston was a monster for hurting one ogre?

The nice thing about the REC acronym is that Rumple and Regina share the same first letter in their first names.

• Love 11

Gideon is played by a pretty good actor, but his character makes no sense unless you just say he's crazy and brainfucked by the Dark Fairy. Why else would he be so convinced that killing a Savior meant that he would get to be the savior next? What, was he raised by old school Klingons? Its just stupid. Has anyone just told him that? And I just don't buy his angst with Rumple, or vice versa. They just don't seem to have connection or feeling. Like I said when he got introduced, its basically the Connor story from Angel, but hopefully with less kind of incest.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz indeed.

My only two thoughts for the bulk of the episode: 1) Where is anyone besides Rumple? 2) How in the eff are we supposed to believe that kid turns into the adult Neal we've seen? The original kid Bae, maybe. This one? Hells no.

As for the 'proposal'? Ugh to the n-th degree. Also, angsty Hook hiding a secret while hugging Emma? Yeah, we did that already after their first date and he had his evil hand. Could we maybe not recycle quite so much?

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

* I ship Wish Queen so much.

I'd like to see a dark, edgy Robin with either the Evil Queen or Zelena.

28 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

Why is Gideon so stupid?  If he can't figure out that doing something bad (murdering people) for the right reason is still MURDER and will make him just as bad as the Black Fairy or whatever her name is supposed to be.

Why, oh why, doesn't he just ask Emma to come with him to the Dark Realm to help him vanquish the Black Fairy? She's the Savior, it's her job.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1

Why was Emma digging around in Hook's sea chest to begin with? Did she misplace her eyeliner and tried to find where he keeps his? Why did this happen off screen?!

• Love 12

I admit as a rule I pay little to no attention to anything Dark One related (much as I love RC) but is there a reason his spawn can't ask for the current savior's help in defeating grandma versus killing Emma (and theoretically becoming a savior - which is not how this works, not how any of this works)?  

• Love 3

This ugliness could have been avoided if it had been Emma who proposed after finding the ring. It would have been both fitting for their relationship and make Hook's predicament more interesting, because Hook would never, ever say no to Emma. I bet it never even occurred to the writers to have her propose, which is just sad. 

Instead we get round 435 of Hook torn because he's keeping something from Emma just as she's opening up to him more than ever. Ill-boding pattern, indeed. 

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Curio said:

Why was Emma digging around in Hook's sea chest to begin with? Did she misplace her eyeliner and tried to find where he keeps his? Why did this happen off screen?!

Yeah, isn't that kind of a violation? It's not like she was doing his laundry and came across the ring in his sock drawer when she was putting things away. There's no good reason for her to have dug in his sea chest.

Rumple was rather dumb getting played by Gideon like that. The correct answer when asked about not trusting him is, "No, I don't trust you not to be a complete idiot because you've shown me no reason to believe that you've gained a clue."

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Curio said:

Because all the good stuff happens off screen. ;)

2 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Yeah, isn't that kind of a violation? It's not like she was doing his laundry and came across the ring in his sock drawer when she was putting things away.

Um....that was actually my head canon for the scene. He stores his clothes in his sea chest instead of a regular dresser because, you know, pirate. And as she was putting stuff away, she found it.

I liked a tweet that someone posted on Adam's feed to explain this stupidity. A&E seem less concerned about writing satisfying stories and more concerned about writing surprising stories. Seriously, this all could've been solved with a "I have you tell you something and I can't propose to you if there is this secret between us." Problem solved and totally something that character would do. But nope. We have to go for the "SURPRISE, BITCHES!" Seriously, if the show gets renewed and there is a reboot, I hope it includes ditching the "creative team" in charge.

• Love 4

Well I haven't seen the episode yet, but I watched the CS proposal scene. Thanks for ruining CS, writers! And just to prop up Rumbelle! And they ruined young Baelfire too, I see. I actually liked young Baelfire. Oh well... Please cancel this Show and put it out of our misery.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, sharky said:

Seriously, if the show gets renewed and there is a reboot, I hope it includes ditching the "creative team" in charge.

That's the only thing that can save it now.

4 minutes ago, sharky said:

Seriously, this all could've been solved with a "I have you tell you something and I can't propose to you if there is this secret between us."

That's basically your bad Harlequin romance kind of conflict -- one character has something he needs to tell another character, starts to try to tell, but gets derailed by the other character saying or doing something. Then she later finds out some other way rather than hearing it directly from him and gets mad at him, so he has to prove himself. Actually, even having that be the proposal is so bad Harlequin -- he has something to tell her, she assumes it's a proposal because she found the ring, her accepting kind of forces him into really proposing without telling the secret. Cue her learning from someone else and feeling betrayed.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Zzzzzzzzzz

1 hour ago, Sarcastica said:

What the hell did I just watch?

I'm going to pretend the entire episode consisted of the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Katherine said:

I wish I could get back that hour of my life. Somehow the writers had me rooting *against* my favorite couple getting engaged. That proposal should have been payoff for longtime Captain Swan fans. It should've been a great moment. Instead it was shoved into a 30 second scene of a boring episode and completely ruined by an unnecessary storyline about Hook lying to Emma yet again.

I literally just finished the episode, and the only thing I remember is that dead animal on poor Emilie's head being passed. off as a wig.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

That's basically your bad Harlequin romance kind of conflict -- one character has something he needs to tell another character, starts to try to tell, but gets derailed by the other character saying or doing something. Then she later finds out some other way rather than hearing it directly from him and gets mad at him, so he has to prove himself. Actually, even having that be the proposal is so bad Harlequin -- he has something to tell her, she assumes it's a proposal because she found the ring, her accepting kind of forces him into really proposing without telling the secret. Cue her learning from someone else and feeling betrayed.

And that pretty much sums up why Harlequin rejected the manuscript I sent them. Apparently, I don't do romantic conflict well because I prefer female characters who are competent. And to be fair, that's why I loved Once when it started. Emma was competent. I have no idea who she was tonight, but I have missed my Emma lately.

And if I may go on a tangent, I just realized that the Once VanCon is this weekend. Yeah, starting Friday. Well, that's gonna be reaaaaal interesting.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

This ugliness could have been avoided if it had been Emma who proposed after finding the ring. It would have been both fitting for their relationship and make Hook's predicament more interesting, because Hook would never, ever say no to Emma.

Emma proposing would have been so much better. I'm picturing Hook showing up to their house with Emma already kneeling in the foyer. We could have gotten her pov for once about their relationship. And you're right, Hook would never say no to a proposal from Emma. Damn, now I'm even more pissed it didn't happen this way.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Actually, even having that be the proposal is so bad Harlequin -- he has something to tell her, she assumes it's a proposal because she found the ring, her accepting kind of forces him into really proposing without telling the secret. Cue her learning from someone else and feeling betrayed.

Oh Archie, don't you dare!

E: Hook and I are engaged!

A: That's wonderful!  I knew he was worried about nothing.  His big secret didn't ruin things between you!

E: ??????

• Love 6

These dumb ass writers could've still gotten their angst with Hook telling Emma and Emma pretending like she didn't see the ring and thus her not knowing how to answer him for the next few episodes. 

They are clearly phasing Emma out. No wonder why this show is so dull now.

• Love 5