Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three Talk: Spring Baking Championship

On 4/3/2017 at 0:46 PM, mlp said:

Jesse Palmer wasn't quite as vapid this week but I still miss Bobby Deen.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I miss Bobby Deen. I didn't think I cared about him one way or the other. I actually lost interest in this season after a couple of episodes primarily because he was gone (or maybe because Jesse was there in his place). Either way, haven't watched since and haven't missed it. I guess we'll see what happens with the Fall Baking Championship hosting duties...

• Love 5
(edited)

Iron Chef makes its long-awaited return to Food Network on Easter Sunday. They probably planned the whole Spring Baking Championship to start on Easter and run into May before realizing they had to squeeze it in earlier.  (Bear in mind Episode 1 was Easter-themed.)

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 4
On 4/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, illini1959 said:

I was waiting for it though! ;)

The poems, bleh. I agree - why mess with it? One of them (Courtney?) wasn't even a poem unless I missed the part that rhymed.

Is the finale really next week already??

Poems don't necessarily have to rhyme. 

Thanks to those who explained it will be two episodes. I was wondering how they were going to handle 4 finalists.

• Love 2

My haiku for this challenge:

It's my week to win!

Groan... Maraschino cherries.

My chances are hosed.

Oops, forgot Mom. Sorry FN.

I'm glad Courtney went home. She was stealthily smug. 

• Love 5

Well that was disappointing. I was rooting for Adam but Jordan won. The second it was announced i deleted the recording. I had no desire to hear from that douchebag. Daniella was the other finalist, and I'm super glad she didn't win.

pretty much an all around group of nothing special.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Well that was disappointing. I was rooting for Adam but Jordan won.

Yep, me too, even though I thought Jordan's cake looked better than the other two. And by the way, did anybody know that Daniella was only a home cook? I'm surprised she never mentioned it.

• Love 10

I wanted Daniella to win but her final cake did look amateurish. I was starting to get a very arrogant vibe from Adam so I'm glad he didn't win.

Jordan's flag cake was the best but his win seems a little off when he kind of coasted along in the middle of the pack all season. 

• Love 8

Disparate thoughts as we bid adieu....

~Boy, this show sure treated $50,000 like it's pocket change, what with its cavalier hurried double-episode finish.

~What was UP with all the raw entries?!

~Daniela's Drip Cake was cool. John's was a mess.

~John throughout showed too-pedestrian taste and vision. Buh-BYE.

~There should not have been any advantage for the Finale. Did I mention the prize was $50,000?!

~July 4th is not "Spring"!

~FIVE HOURS for THOSE results?!

~Adam choked. Metaphorically only, thank goodness. He clearly has the best skills, knowledge, and eye.

~What was up with all the Passion Fruit? I've never even seen it, let alone eaten it! http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Passionfruit

~Lorraine's teeth are so white and bright, I had to wear shades!

• Love 4

If I had to guess by their collective results throughout the weeks, I would have pegged Adam or Daniela as winner and 2nd place (either one, either order) and Jordan a distant 3rd.  So I was a bit surprised when they picked Jordan FTW.  I guess if it's truly based on THAT week's bakes, then Jordan clearly won.  But I think Adam had some of the best sounding flavors.  His chocolate/praline/Bavarian cake???? Damn, that looked sooo good!  Thank goodness his bakery is too far for me to drive to easily, because I'd be greeting him at his doorstep every morning.  Although, the more I think about it, I could get to Mystic, CT in less than 2 hours...

• Love 3

I'm happy that Jordan won.  I think his cake was the best but Adam's design was really nice and if his whole cake was cooked I think he would have won.  Either one winning I would have been fine with.  Daniela, I cannot believe produced the cake she did after the time they had.  I thought it was horrible.  I hope they please bring Bobby back to host the show.  The other fill ins they have had are horrible.

• Love 2

I was expecting Adam to win all along because he was clearly the most knowledgeable and experienced.  Jordan probably will be one day but he's not quite there yet.  I liked Daniela but most everything she did, especially that final cake, looked a bit amateurish.  Sadly for Adam, he had problems on both of the last two episodes and Jordan aced the Memorial Day cake challenge.  I could see the faults on Adam's myself.  Also, Adam always seemed a bit arrogant but his frustration level during the last two hours brought out flashes of unpleasantness I wasn't crazy about.  In the end, I was happy for Jordan.

I didn't mind Jesse on the last shows.  He seemed more natural and relaxed.  However, I still hope they bring back Bobby Deen.

• Love 3

Now I'm glad I missed who won, I was rooting for Adam. It was annoying to always be reminded of Jordan's training in France when was so up and down all season. I just get the sense that he thinks he's a lot better than he is.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, VMepicgrl said:

Poems don't necessarily have to rhyme. 

Thanks to those who explained it will be two episodes. I was wondering how they were going to handle 4 finalists.

Yeah. I know...but this one just seemed like a few sentences strung together. Not that I could've done any better under the circumstances.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Maya said:

I wanted Daniella to win but her final cake did look amateurish. I was starting to get a very arrogant vibe from Adam so I'm glad he didn't win.

Jordan's flag cake was the best but his win seems a little off when he kind of coasted along in the middle of the pack all season. 

I think the worst part of this show is that each bake is judged separately and not a combination of all of the bakes.  One bad bake shouldn't eliminate someone, and one good bake, like the cake, shouldn't make someone a $50,000 winner.  If I was going to score the competition, I would have each baked good from each round ranked and added to previous round's ranking and the lowest overall baker would go home.  So, in the first round, if you were #10/10, you would go home.  If #9 in the first round was #1 the second round, they would have a total of 10.  If someone had a combined score of 11 or less, they would go home.  They should also give three scores 1) did it meet the challenge (hello John, you would have failed in this every time), 2) taste 3) decorating.

I think if they had scored this way, Daniella would have won, or Adam, but not Jordan, who had some great tasting and some awful tasting things, who's decor was great or awful but who often struggled with the challenge (as stupid as some were). 

I also think they wanted Jordan because he was the most camera-ready.  Plan on him being the next host, or on Chopped, or Beat Bobby Flay, or some other Food Network show.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Oops! Sorry! I somehow thought it was a Fourth of July contest!

Daniela's fireworks made me think that way. I've never been in a place that had fireworks on Memorial Day. I do agree her cake looked amateurish and I thought that was WAY too much frosting in all those rosettes. There were a lot of ways she could go and that wasn't it. 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Daniela's fireworks made me think that way. I've never been in a place that had fireworks on Memorial Day 

In my neighborhood they set off fireworks from the 4th of July until New Year's. My dog hates this. 

I do think it would be fairer to everyone if they had cumulative scoring. Jordan served raw pastry on more than one occasion, he cut his whoopie pies and was generally inconsistent. I don't recall the judges being wowed by his flavors, either. 

Daniela's drip cake looked clever with the overturned ice cream cone but I hated her colors.  Adam used passion fruit all the time!   Knew the older guy wouldn't make the cut. I agree that Jordan seemed a shoe-in based on his good looks. Wasn't he trained at the Sorbonne?  I was not impressed by anything he did...  

• Love 3

I wanted to root for the home baker last night, but Daniela struggled so much for being in the top three. Her cake for the finale was buried in buttercream, and whenever I see frosting THAT red and blue, I'm afraid it will taste like Red Dye #2 or whatever, and it will certainly stain your teeth.  Did the judges eat those layers?  Because Lorraine's teeth glowing blue would be a sight.

Adam consistently made something kind of cool, and I'd like to see what he could do if he was given free rein. Some of his comments were unnecessarily snarky in that I'm-really-being-mean-but-pretending-I'm-just-kidding way.  I hadn't noticed that from him before.

Jordan was like Jekyll and Hyde with his creations-good!-bad!-good!-bad! for the whole season, and I wouldn't have bet on him as the winner.  He and Daniela seemed to have a pretty good buddy system going though.  That was cute.  

I'm in agreement with the poster above who wants to see a cumulative scoring system based on design, taste and whether it met the challenge.   

• Love 5

Well, I wasn't really impressed by the finale. I knew John would be going home and I am surprised he made it that far. I tend to agree with Duff when he commented on the drip cake-"If I was 6 years old I'd be psyched" (something along those lines.) Kinda described all of John's creations - a bit juvenile and tons of fondant and such. 

While I liked Jordan's final cake, I wish they didn't have a pre-heat and advantage for the finale. They all got there lets have them all on the same level. I wanted Adam to win because of his consistency and creativity throughout the competition. Jordan was very hit or miss. I'm sorry but Daniela sort of bugged me. 

So when's the next season of the Great American Baking Championship start? I like that competition a lot better. 

• Love 4

Jordan seemed a shoe-in based on his good looks.

I failed to see that entirely.  I think he's sort of cute and he has a nice smile but I'd never describe him as handsome.  Not that that has anything to do with baking............................

• Love 1

I thought Adam was the best overall, and yeah, I wish they had some sort of cumulative point system to determine the winner.  If I could have one of the contestants bake for me, I think I would like Adam's creations the best.   He made some errors, as they all did. 

Jordan's final cake looked too gaudy to me, and to eat it I would have had to take off all that fondant.

Only slightly off-topic  - Jordan talking about his brother in relations to Memorial day, made me think at first, that his brother had died in the service.  But he didn't?   Memorial Day is not a day we celebrate those who are in the service right now, nor our veterans.   Memorial Day is the day to honor those who died while in the service.  Yes, I know, people sometimes think that's nit-picky.   But too many times, people celebrate the holiday without understanding that it's not a "USA! USA!"  holiday, but a somber day of honor and respect .

• Love 9

Going into the finale, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised to find that we would be OK with any of the final 3 winning.  They praised Jordan's cake so much, I had a feeling it would be him.  Especially since they couldn't stop eating his cake after the judging.

I noticed with Adam, he has great ideas, and if I ever find myself in Mystic, I will be stopping by his bakery, but towards the end he cracked a little under the pressure - the judges were finding more faults with his work, the dishes kept being *just* short of perfect.  

I was pleasantly surprised - the first episode, when they introduced Jordan, I blurted out "Cannon Fodder!"  Happy to be proven wrong.  

So, overall, decent season, pretty happy with how it ended.

• Love 3

Rewatching the finale and rolled my eyes at one of the reasons Adam thought he should win. He just got married, just had a baby, and has his shop so he could use the money the most/for the best reason.  What was he implying, that neither of the others had "important enough" reasons for it?

I don't deny that those are financially intense seasons of life.... but I mean, why is *that* the reason he should have won the money? Daniela has a son. Jordan... I don't know, maybe he wants to start his own family or business too? 

MOST people have important reasons to use that amount of money. One reason doesn't make it more important for them to "deserve" to win. I hate when contestants pull that stuff.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 4

I agree that the "I deserve to win because....." stuff gets old quickly & has nothing to do with the competition itself. But, in Adam's defense, he was asked a direct question regarding " what would this win mean to you"? He was only answering what he was asked.

Cannot believe John made it as far as he did...most of his stuff looked awful. And can't believe Nancy was STILL seriously wanting to keep him over Adam. The only judge I respect is Duff....and he also gets on my nerves. Up your game, people!

• Love 2

I was at the point of "none of the above" with the final three. I had strong sense from episode #1 that Adam would be in the finale, if not the winner.  I didn't necessarily think he was arrogant but he did have a rather high opinion of himself but I also thought the judges were extra harsh on him and had higher expectations for him (and Jordan) than the rest of the contestants.  (Of course, the two always running off at the mouth about their awesome training and "modern techniques" just asked for it ...)

I was also pretty certain that Daniela wouldn't win because I think there was some passive-aggressive flak towards FN last year because a "humble home baker" won the holiday baking championship.  If that's the case, then tune in to a baking competition that only allows experienced formally trained pastry chefs.

ITA that the final decision should be based on a cumulative score. Baking is just too fickle for a one-shot chance at winning. If that were the case then Jordan would have been kicked out several weeks ago with his haphazard performance.

• Love 1

Ahh, super disappointed. I was rooting for Adam the most. I never got the sense he was arrogant. He didn't "deserve" the money any more than Daniela or Jordan, of course.

I do not like fondant, Sam I am, I do not like it. I feel like it's a copout to use it--if you can't eat it, it doesn't belong. Did I hear Duff say he liked it? If so, that makes me question his taste buds. (Maybe that's why he takes such huge bites.)

Can I also just say there should be no advantage in the final? Just do the final bake.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

Did I hear Duff say he liked it? If so, that makes me question his taste buds.

No, he has said over and over again he hates fondant.  He is quoted in LA Weekly,  I hate fondant. I don't like eating it.  Like banana peels, they look nice. They don't taste good. Same thing with fondant. It's there to look pretty," Goldman says.

• Love 2
On 4/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, hookedontv said:

I'm sorry but Daniela sort of bugged me.

I think I'm gonna have to be on the same page with you. Daniela was over-the-top annoying. Her annoying voice and her "sucka" crap bugged the heck out of me for some reason. I'm also sick of the Jordan-Daniela thing where all they want to just do is drool over each other. Adam provides such a calming relief after Daniela's dissention on a good day. I was happy that Jordan won, he was my favorite. I like Jesse, but I really hope they bring back Bobby Deen.

• Love 2

I may have missed any comments, but what advantage did last year's winner Jane give to Daniela? That was the worst rainbow of them all. Maybe she gave her other verbal help about the competition, because her physical help was how shall i say...not helpful.

• Love 2
On 4/24/2017 at 2:26 PM, Evenshorter said:

I may have missed any comments, but what advantage did last year's winner Jane give to Daniela? That was the worst rainbow of them all. Maybe she gave her other verbal help about the competition, because her physical help was how shall i say...not helpful.

Jane just gave her 10 minutes of extra assistance. By the way, she reminds me of my computer teacher Aishah Shedlock.