Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 4/1/2017 at 7:22 AM, tessat said:

The Dance Moms Miami and England didn't take hold because the teachers were too nice - there wasn't enough controversy to keep viewers interested. I myself like less drama but the majority of viewers didn't and that's why they failed.

I don't know about others but my daughter's and I loved DM Miami's teachers, it was the spoiled kids and horrible moms that we didn't like.  We thought and I still think the difference was NOT Abby's persona but the fact that the DM's girls knew each other going in.  They might not have been friends or had a team but they were all at Abby's studio.  The kids on the other versions were not only cast but they were cast from different studios from who knows where.  I really thing Miami would have survived if they'd used the kids from that guy's studio instead of bringing in people from who knows where.  Because he would have been great to watch with his actual dancers.

ETA: Abby was always hard on the girls when they were dancing but you saw the love/caring she had for them in the beginning.  She morphed into her roll as the super villain as time went on where she was just outright mean. 

I think the show is destined to be cancelled no matter what they do because as stated above with the Miami group: it will be all casted kids (like the minis) who have no real chemistry with each other and a teacher that is acting a part from the beginning. 

I learned her (or on TWOP) that a mom, Christy maybe, pitched this show to save Abby's studio.  If that is true their original motive for a reality show was nothing like the new moms coming in. They wanted to HELP their teacher not be "stars" but as they all learned you don't get one without the other.

Edited by CoolMom

I turned in time to see they're going back to old format of putting the show on twice a day during the week; repeating after midnight on LRW! Got to see Kelly flip out and assault Abby in front of her children and others! She had worked herself into such a lather before the confrontation, I'm surprised it wasn't a worst scene! If Brooke had just spoken up for herself! Mon Dieu she had to 15, but acted more like she was 8 with that stupid look while she allowed her mom to "lose it!" I guess it's easier for BOYS to speak up! I played on a tennis team and knew when to reel in a parent if they were coming out to watch a school match-up! ;-)

Nick - thanks for the link! I'll definitely watch the new "Dance Moms" if and when it comes to pass. The only reason I will probably watch the next season is to see Chloe. At this point in time tho - I think the junior elite team should be put to rest. I love Cheryl Burke - but Abby was the reason I kept watching as I loved to hate her I have to admit.

Cheryl Burke, eh? Good choice. Cheryl was always a fan favorite on DWTS (mine too) and has taught dance. I can't imagine her "playing a role" to suit the producers warped story lines. Cheryl has a reputation to safeguard. Maybe the show will focus more on actual quality dancing more than ginned up phony drama. Whether or not that format would draw an audience is an open question. 

Chloe only came back to the show to get her name out there again. Since she's come back she's announced a new book coming out, a web series put on by Lifetime and that Cowgirl movie she did is being released in a few weeks.

Just now, NickDisnCart said:

Chloe only came back to the show to get her name out there again. Since she's come back she's announced a new book coming out, a web series put on by Lifetime and that Cowgirl movie she did is being released in a few weeks.

I'm shocked! In her mother's mind I'm sure she feels entitled! More power to them if they want to sell their souls to a show they swore never to even speak of again! ;-)

Cheryl Burke of "DWTS" fame to replace Abby Lee Miller! Miller said she quit, but it appears with her sentencing, it was decided for her! I won't be watching!

- http://www.ibtimes.com/who-will-replace-abby-lee-miller-dance-moms-cheryl-burke-reportedly-stepping-2517050 -

...Holly Frazier did post a text photo that some felt was a shot at the former coach. She hinted at big changes ahead writing, “An end of an era, the beginning of our future.”

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Added a line!

There was this show last year about a real life cheer squad (I think it was actually called "Cheer Squad") from Canada. These kids were all friends, they did real competitions, and the coach was tough but fair. The show was kind of amateurish and spent too much time on silly stuff like the girls going out on dates, but the bottom line was it was fun to follow this actual team for a whole season, from tryouts to Nationals. Why can't there be a dance show like that?

I'm thrilled that Chloe is coming back and you know - more power to her in getting her other things some free advertisement and off the ground even if it means returning to the show. They said they wouldn't come back if Abby was still there - and Abby isn't there - I think the producers knew sometime ago that Abby was leaving and that opened the door for Chloe to return.

I don't see where they feel they are entitled or selling their souls - now had you said that about Jill - then I would agree.

• Love 1
On April 13, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Law Mom said:

There was this show last year about a real life cheer squad (I think it was actually called "Cheer Squad") from Canada. These kids were all friends, they did real competitions, and the coach was tough but fair.

Lifetime aired a show like that about ten years ago called "Cheerleader Nation." It was about a well-regarded HS squad from Kentucky and followed them from tryouts to the national championships in Orlando (which the team had won previously). There was some stupid focus on dates and whatnot but you saw the girls at home, in school, at practice, etc. A little like what DM was in the early years.

I echo that I also watched because of the girls' history together and that it was an average dance studio in an average location (not NYC or LA). I went to a similar studio in eastern PA, many years ago, and Kelly, as a former student a little older than me, always made me think of what probably happened to the older girls I remember from my studio. I appreciate the dances too, but it was the "averageness" of the studio that originally drew me in. I don't think they can recapture that.

I am thinking that by bringing in Cheryl they are trying to legitimize the show more so they can go back to real comps as opposed to the set up ones they have had since season one aired and they got banned from filming at the legit comps. Cheryl is a real and successful dancer and choreographer AND she has been on reality tv for over a decade. From what I have seen and read about over the years, I do not think she is about any of the drama at all, from moms or producers. These moms would be absolute idiots to try and start shit with her....she is way more legit as a successful dancer in the business than anyone they have had on show combined..Abby included! 

When SYTYCD went to its kiddie format last season , I refused to watch and I had been a loyal viewer since the very first show way back when.  I happened to see a clip of Maddie dancing with the great Travis Wall last season and I was really impressed with her.  She had a bit of a growth spurt and her dancing was far more mature and technically demanding than anything that Abby had her doing on DM.  It was even more striking since, as far as I can recall, Maddie did almost no pairs dancing on DM.  I had to wonder whether the SYTYCD production team had sent Maddie to some real dance intensives classes before the season went on the air.  Perhaps Mama Rose Melissa actually spent some money and paid for classes.  Does anyone know?

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, Jamie Satyr said:

I turned in time to see they're going back to old format of putting the show on twice a day during the week; repeating after midnight on LRW! Got to see Kelly flip out and assault Abby in front of her children and others! She had worked herself into such a lather before the confrontation, I'm surprised it wasn't a worse scene! If Brooke had just spoken up for herself! Mon Dieu she had to 15, but acted more like she was 8 with that stupid look while she allowed her mom to "lose it!" I guess it's easier for BOYS to speak up! I played on a tennis team and knew when to reel in a parent if they were coming out to watch a school match-up! ;-)

Seeing the episodes from S4 & 5, I really begin to see the end! The girls are aging out, mothers like Holly and Jill have high expectations when their kids are no better, and Holly truly lost it not even acknowledging how bad Nia could be, but wanted those solos anyway! Her front aerial sucked and she never completed the maneuver! Nia probably just couldn't get those hocks in the air; she really got thick like her mom! ;-(

Although Nia doesn't have a slight body - I think what you are seeing is more muscle mass. She was always active in sports and if you look at gymnists - many are short and squat - and yet they've brought home Olympic titles. Nia does not have the typical dance physique - nor did Maddie or Kalani.

• Love 2

Showing Season 4 after Kelly and her girls kicked off the team; it was hilarious! Abby was happier and Christi felt empowered to act out! Strange to feel she should be able to insult the teacher and staff, but resents not getting favoritism! The woman had to be NUTZ! Loved when the moms decided to tally the insults and demeaning comments made toward the girls during practice! That went over like a lead balloon! I expected better from Melissa and Jill, but they felt compelled to support Holly and Christi acting like psychos! Idiots! The show won't be the same if they even actually telecast a few episodes! Abby made this show and it will stink without her! ;-)

With Abby gone, Christi and Chloe would be happy to come back; "the thirst is real!" All I heard about them is what gossip is posted here; regardless of all these so called opportunities! The show will suck without Abby; I know I won't be watching! The moms and kids have inflated their popularity! I personally loved the 3rd season when they went on their mini-strike! The show didn't miss a beat with Asia, Kaylie, Sophia, and other outside dancers! Crawling back by all concerned was so entertaining; making Abby more of a tyrant so that exercise was a complete waste of time! It was hilarious! ;-)

Just rewatching that season now and you're right - but playing Devil's advocate - some of the things Abby has done are pretty nasty and if a teacher took out her frustrations with me on my kid - she's asking for trouble.

Latest on Jo-Jo - even tho they're no longer a part of it - these girls are going to make the most of their tie on Dance Moms and their future exposure:

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/jojo-bows-controversial-185744675.html

3 hours ago, tessat said:

Just rewatching that season now and you're right - but playing Devil's advocate - some of the things Abby has done are pretty nasty and if a teacher took out her frustrations with me on my kid - she's asking for trouble.

Latest on Jo-Jo - even tho they're no longer a part of it - these girls are going to make the most of their tie on Dance Moms and their future exposure:

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/jojo-bows-controversial-185744675.html

Oh I agree, but the thing is due to the "fame whoring" of the mothers, they continued allowing the teacher access to abuse their kids year after year; usually in retaliation of something the moms did to Abby in their quest to be disrespectful! All concerned were wrong, but that's what made the show! IRL, if you're not happy with a teacher you move on, but because they felt the show would make them all stars, they sat there and took the abuse! I have no sympathy for anyone; the moms having all the real power to walk away, but didn't! Don't get fooled by the BS about a signed contract! No one had a gun pointed at their heads to keep renewing season after season! After all said and done, Kelly and Christi were the most wrong; actually poisoning the friendships of the kids with their own frustration and bitterness! I have no idea why I find this show so entertaining because I would never allow my child to even watch, much less be a part of it! ;-)

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Punctuation correction
  • Love 1

Stupid question but I see Abby is plugging a gastric sleeve surgery and apparently aiming for a reality show like Mama June. But didn't she already have weight loss surgery a couple of years ago when she lost a lot of weight? I could swear I read about her having surgery then. Am I crazy?

I for one am looking forward to seeing Chloe again. Guess I'm in the minority but just watching the past seasons - makes me realize how constipated Maddie's face really was - how 2 faced Melissa really was and how much carp Chloe had to put up with. Kelly and Christi were instigators but usually there was a reason for their behavior.

• Love 3
(edited)

From Twitter:

Ben Schmitt @bencschmitt  

Abby Lee Miller sentenced to federal prison to 1 year and 1 day followed by two years supervised release. #DanceMoms

Judge Conti tells #abbyleemiller "it's a very serious situation when someone who files for bankruptcy isn't truthful with the court.

Abby Lee Miler was also fined $40K #DanceMoms

Edited by taragel
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, taragel said:

From Twitter:

Ben Schmitt @bencschmitt  

Abby Lee Miller sentenced to federal prison to 1 year and 1 day followed by two years supervised release. #DanceMoms

Judge Conti tells #abbyleemiller "it's a very serious situation when someone who files for bankruptcy isn't truthful with the court.

AWESOME!!!!  

Warden?  We're gonna need a bigger jumpsuit!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, tessat said:

I for one am looking forward to seeing Chloe again. Guess I'm in the minority but just watching the past seasons - makes me realize how constipated Maddie's face really was - how 2 faced Melissa really was and how much carp Chloe had to put up with. Kelly and Christi were instigators but usually there was a reason for their behavior.

I thought Maddie was always very expressive. Apparently the folks who cast her in this movie think so, too.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4572792/combined

Edited by Mojoker
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2017 at 10:18 PM, Jamie Satyr said:

I'm shocked! In her mother's mind I'm sure she feels entitled! More power to them if they want to sell their souls to a show they swore never to even speak of again! ;-)

What in the world is the book about?  It's hard to believe anyone would be interested enough in her to publish her book, let alone buy one.

1 hour ago, taragel said:

From Twitter:

Ben Schmitt @bencschmitt  

here is the most interesting part:

Both Kelly and Christi were sitting directly behind Abby in court today.  It seems that they have been there a couple of times before.  So the question is, are they really enemies or frenemies or what.

• Love 2

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ex-‘dance-moms’-host-abby-lee-miller-sentenced-to-prison-in-fraud-case/ar-BBAWtZ4?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

More on the sentencing!

Maddie is very expressive - the same old facial expressions we saw for 5 yrs. I think she's a lovely dancer but Nia had more varied facial expressions than Maddie

As far as Christie and Kelly sitting behind her - they probably wanted to get her goat and see payback happen in real time.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, lilacs and roses said:

They should have given her probation, she paid all the money back.  Now instead, we taxpayers are paying for her being in prison for a year.  Not pleased about that.

I disagree.  Enforcing probation costs money too, especially for someone as likely at Abby to continue to try to defraud the government and her creditors.

Also, the marginal cost of having this criminal in jail is minimal.  It's not like the federal prison system is going to get an increased budget because she was sentenced.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lilacs and roses said:

They should have given her probation, she paid all the money back.  Now instead, we taxpayers are paying for her being in prison for a year.  Not pleased about that.

I don't know if someone's already posted this, so, sorry if this is repetitive.  But I wondered about the "and a day" part of the sentence, and here's what I found:

Answered 4 Feb 2011 by Lisa Borodkin, Columbia Law. Practicing Internet law since 1998.

Because the crime is classified as a felony.

A felony is defined in the US federal system as a crime punishable by a sentence of death or imprisonment by over one year. Specifically, a crime punishable by imprisonment for less than five years but more than one year is a Class E felony.  See 18 U.S.C. § 3559(a)(5).

If punishable by a sentence of exactly one year, the crime is considered a Class A misdemeanor. See 18. U.S.C. § 3559(a)(6).

A person who commits a felony is a "felon." A person who commits a misdemeanor is a "misdemeanant."

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, taragel said:

From Twitter:

Ben Schmitt @bencschmitt  

I actually felt sad for her hearing this news.  I am not some big fan of hers either.  I just think the situation is sad.  Anyway, thanks for giving me the jail time.  It is just one year, and maybe she has a possibility to get out earlier for good behavior.  I wonder if she can pay off those fines.  I don't know about her finances.  I have never looked that deep into her private life. LOL 

If the show is over, I am cool with it.  I don't know what more they can do with this show.  At times in the past, I felt I watched recycled scripts. LOL I wish all the young dancers well in whatever they choose to do in life.

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 3
(edited)

She committed multiple federal felonies then tried to get out of it for a considerable amount of time. It's probably the best she could have expected especially since her lawyer couldn't arrange a plea deal.  I wonder how she's going to cope with the prison diet since she had the gastric surgery.  If she did pay all the creditors, it may have helped her not have a longer sentence.  I think one part of her statement to the court was true, she let "fame" go to her head.

ETA:  Depending on which article I read, it looks like this was dependent on her plea deal. 

Edited by Absolom
More info.
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, tessat said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ex-‘dance-moms’-host-abby-lee-miller-sentenced-to-prison-in-fraud-case/ar-BBAWtZ4?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

More on the sentencing!

Maddie is very expressive - the same old facial expressions we saw for 5 yrs. I think she's a lovely dancer but Nia had more varied facial expressions than Maddie

As far as Christie and Kelly sitting behind her - they probably wanted to get her goat and see payback happen in real time.

According to the report, they have been with her in court a couple of times, even talking to her.  That is what I found interesting.  Maybe they have buried "the hatchet" ;)  

I felt some of that was producer driven but not all.  At one point, it was very evident that those girls loved Abby and she loved them.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DaisyFields500 said:

I actually felt sad for her hearing this news.  I am not some big fan of hers either.  I just think the situation is sad.  Anyway, thanks for giving me the jail time.  It is just one year, and maybe she has a possibility to get out earlier for good behavior.  I wonder if she can pay off those fines.  I don't know about her finances.  I have never looked that deep into her private life. LOL 

If the show is over, I am cool with it.  I don't know what more they can do with this show.  At times in the past, I felt I watched recycled scripts. LOL I wish all the young dancers well in whatever they choose to do in life.

The judge said with good behavior she could probably serve 10 months. She reports in 45--or now 44--days in LA. So that would put her out by April next year?

The show has five or six more episodes with Cheryl Burke coming. Not sure after that. I imagine they'll end it.

I do feel sorry for her to a point - where was Melissa?? Was she there?

What she did was wrong and she has to pay - but none of those girls would be where they are today without her and the show.

• Love 3