Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I thought Chloe did a really nice job and I loved all the dancing. The only thing I didn't like was the lead, she just seemed out of place to me. Wasn't as engaging as the original Center Stage, but a nice debut for Chloe.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, RealityCowgirl said:

Center Stage mostly reminded me why I don't watch Lifetime movies. But I thought Chloe was a bright spot. She can be proud of her acting debut!

It wasn't so much Chloe's acting, which was fairly minimal but her dancing which was terrific.  Getting the hell away from ALDC and getting some real training has advanced her skill and stage presence.  Are you watching Maddie?

The prosecutor has recommended 24 to 30 months (the maximum could've been 5 years).  The defense is requesting no more than 6 months.

It's totally up to the judge, who can go either below the six months or above the 30 months (and up to the maximum 5 years).

It says there is a case pending on appeal that will apparently have some impact on the permissible or appropriate sentence and that why sentencing is being delayed to wait for the decision from the appeals court.

Given the way this case came about, given the fact that Abby continued to try to hide money, given texts that say things like "we need to start laundering this money", and given her thus-far absolute lack of anything approaching contrition, I'm guessing and hoping that the sentence will almost certainly be on the higher end.

Abby, "the key is to either kick someone's ass or become someone's bitch on the first day."

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, cali1981 said:

It wasn't so much Chloe's acting, which was fairly minimal but her dancing which was terrific.  Getting the hell away from ALDC and getting some real training has advanced her skill and stage presence.  Are you watching Maddie?

I didn't think her acting was that great, but she really didn't have much to do. It was just being excited young dancer, which she kind of is. Her dancing was awesome though.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

All I can say about Abbie is WHY?  Did she really need the money?  What is it with people and greed that makes them stupid.  It's not like she had a family to feed.  She has no justification for what she did.

She won't get anywhere near 5 years.  Compared to the Wall Street crooks and the money they stole, she is more like a shoplifter.  And a lot of them didn't even go to jail, just paid fines. 

• Love 1

It probably depends on how much Collins Ave/Lifetime is willing to shell out in lawyer fees to protect their show/cash cow. I hope the judge doesn't go with less than 6 months though.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Lemons said:

All I can say about Abbie is WHY?  Did she really need the money?  What is it with people and greed that makes them stupid.  It's not like she had a family to feed.  She has no justification for what she did.

She won't get anywhere near 5 years.  Compared to the Wall Street crooks and the money they stole, she is more like a shoplifter.  And a lot of them didn't even go to jail, just paid fines. 

I think Abby is getting at least Martha Stewart time.  But I do really think that she's pissed the Judge off in this case.  I mean, it was the Judge himself who figured out that she was lying, just by channel-surfing!  

As far as why?  If I understand correctly, the Dance Studio was either in, or on the brink of bankruptcy before she got the Lifetime deal (or at least before filming started).  She was faced with losing her mother's life work.  And let's be frank.  Other than her mother, no one is hiring Abby Lee Miller to teach or choreograph dance, especially at that point.

She saw bankruptcy protection as a way to screw her debtors.  And then when that sweet Lifetime cash started rolling in, it was probably the biggest payday she'd ever had.  And she'd be damned if she was going to let the people whom she owed money get their hands on any of it.

Plus, there's the fact that she's just a scumbag.

10 minutes ago, taragel said:

It probably depends on how much Collins Ave/Lifetime is willing to shell out in lawyer fees to protect their show/cash cow. I hope the judge doesn't go with less than 6 months though.

I'm not sure that Abby and the production company/Lifetime are on the same page here.  They were, arguably, accessories to her fraud.  What with carrying Glad Ziploc Sandwich Bags full of cash home in suitcases for her.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

They probably had better lawyers, too, though and may not have committed another felony while trying to plea bargain the first round.  That was beyond dumb.

They were a lot smarter and knew how to cover tracks too.  Abby is kind of dumb, and was really stupid if she thought she could get away with it.

• Love 2

The only watchable parts of Center Stage were the dance scenes. The "acting" was not good all around. From the lead girl and guy (boy was he wooden and stiff in his delivery of every single line) to Chloe who overplayed the "we're bestest buddies ever" shtick she was given. Her dancing has definitely improved though. 

• Love 3

I was happy for Chloe that she got that one-on-one scene with Peter Gallagher. That must have been pretty cool.

6 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I'm not sure that Abby and the production company/Lifetime are on the same page here.  They were, arguably, accessories to her fraud.  What with carrying Glad Ziploc Sandwich Bags full of cash home in suitcases for her.

I don't quite follow. If they were helping her/accessories, then I assume they were/are indeed on the same page. Unless you think they were doing that to set her up in some way? I know things had turned pretty sour between Abby and the producers by the way she's talked about them in interviews over the past year or so....but I have a tough time believing they would jeopardize their own show/the money Dance Moms brings in. With Abby in jail (hopefully), would anyone tune in to watch personality-free Gia teach the kids?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, taragel said:

I don't quite follow. If they were helping her/accessories, then I assume they were/are indeed on the same page. Unless you think they were doing that to set her up in some way? I know things had turned pretty sour between Abby and the producers by the way she's talked about them in interviews over the past year or so....but I have a tough time believing they would jeopardize their own show/the money Dance Moms brings in. With Abby in jail (hopefully), would anyone tune in to watch personality-free Gia teach the kids?

Because anyone who assisted Abby hide or launder money (and I just picture Abby looking up "launder money" in a dictionary like in Office Space) was facing criminal charges and potential jail time.  That's a big incentive to roll over and cooperate with the Prosecutor against Abby.

• Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Because anyone who assisted Abby hide or launder money (and I just picture Abby looking up "launder money" in a dictionary like in Office Space) was facing criminal charges and potential jail time.  That's a big incentive to roll over and cooperate with the Prosecutor against Abby.

That would be interesting--some high stakes drama indeed. I imagine they would disavow all knowledge of any money laundering though. I assumed "employees" were HER employees--Giana, whoever else travels with her--not Collins Ave.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, taragel said:

So she's getting somewhere between 6 months and 30 months in jail? She's being sentenced on my birthday. I'm going to count it as a gift. ;)

Also...she had "Employees" smuggle the money in? Gianna? The girls? The moms? Oy.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/dance-moms-abby-lee-miller-guilty-plea-fraud-smuggling-charges-bankruptcy-lifetime-1201779760/

Sounds like she thought that by having each person carry less than the declarable amount of $10,000, she wouldn't be breaking the law. So that sort of implies 11 other people were involved. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, taragel said:

That would be interesting--some high stakes drama indeed. I imagine they would disavow all knowledge of any money laundering though. I assumed "employees" were HER employees--Giana, whoever else travels with her--not Collins Ave.

I doubt that they could credibly deny knowledge of laundering.  That would expose them to prosecution for lying.  I'm sure that Prosecutor just needed enough from them to establish that Abby was splitting up the money to avoid having to declare it rather than, say, not wanting to risk having it all in one bag that might get lost by the airline, or some other "innocent" excuse.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2016 at 10:08 AM, Alapaki said:
21 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I doubt that they could credibly deny knowledge of laundering.  That would expose them to prosecution for lying.  I'm sure that Prosecutor just needed enough from them to establish that Abby was splitting up the money to avoid having to declare it rather than, say, not wanting to risk having it all in one bag that might get lost by the airline, or some other "innocent" excuse.

Hmm, but I'm not sure why producers or crew members would automatically have any knowledge of what Abby did with her money, unless they were copied on those emails or asked to carry a bag for her (and knew it had money in it). And then wouldn't that make them accessories? Like if the prosecutor got any knowledge from them on what Abby was doing--how would they not also be culpable for not turning her in? Then again, why would the "employees" who smuggled also not be held liable for their parts in smuggling? Unless it's a case of letting the small fish go to fry the big fish.

• Love 1

Hmm, but I'm not sure why producers or crew members would automatically have any knowledge of what Abby did with her money, unless they were copied on those emails or asked to carry a bag for her

Given the amount of money she was trying to conceal coming back from Australia, I'm pretty sure that she had production people involved.  I doubt Lifetime would've paid for enough ALDC employees to go to Australia.

Also, remember that one of the allegations (well, no longer allegation since she's pled guilty) is that she had payments from the show made payable to her infirm mother to try to keep it out of her name.

Unless it's a case of letting the small fish go to fry the big fish.

I think this is precisely what it was.  

• Love 3

Well - it must not take much to please me because I thought Center Stage was a very good movie. I'm not into ballet - but the combination of modern and ballet was enjoyable. I found the characters and interactions interesting. Chloe was phenomenal and I would much rather watch that type of dance rather than the girl who needs a psycho ward style portrayed in the Sia videos.

We all have our likes and dislikes but I felt the acting was much better than I've seen from wither of the Ziegler girls.

• Love 2

I had a long post typed but the computer ate it; so i'll just say that I'm sure most Chloe fans thought she was phenomenal but reviews of the movie are not as positive. 

That center stage movie w/ Chloe was horrible.   I can't believe some of those actors from the original movie associated themselves w/ this version cause it was so bad.

I thought Chloe's performance (both acting and dancing) was poor and very forced/unnatural.  It's like she was only there to draw in ratings from her fan base (or maybe lifetime owed Christi a favor?).  I also wonder if she originally had more speaking parts in the script but it all got cut out because her acting was so bad and those 2-3 scenes where she talked were just the least bad.

• Love 1

I also enjoyed this movie.  I thought Chloe did a good job acting in this movie.  She portrayed her character as it was intended -- a 15 year old, always positive, glass always full girl.  I didn't particularly think the lead actress, even though she was in the last Center Stage movie, was a great dancer.  Overall, I did enjoy it.  I can see how people who are really into dance would see it as a "cheesy" movie.    It's great that everyone has the freedom to express their opinions.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chloe was fine in the movie.  It was just a really bad movie.

Anyway, came here to post Kalani's new solo.  She is up for best dancer at TDA again this year (she's top 3 - results are on Friday).  I think this is Travis Wall choreography but I am not sure.  She competed under her real studio Club Dance. It is beautiful and so much better then anything we've ever seen from her on the show.  Seeing how she actually dances makes watching her do the silly group dances on the show even more ridiculous. 

Edited by sofiah

Yes, Maddie competed as a Junior and her improv was surprisingly good - made me think that the ALDC choreography actually really holds her back.  

This Kalani dance solo impressed me though - she is really dancing with her whole body, and so fluid.  I think she really wants to win this year. 

• Love 1

She looked really lovely. I wish her the best and I think that she needs to get away from Dance Moms altogether now; I hope that her mother doesn't sign on for Season 7. Let the new minis and their moms try to carry the show along with Brynn or let it go down in flames. 

KAlani looked beautiful in that dance but the choreography was so generic, basic and boring.  I can imagine all of the girls in the competition doing a variation of that same dance.  It would come down to who the judges personally like.

I also think that the ALDC choreography did not help the girls.  It was made-for-TV dance, it wasn't made to help improve the girls.

Just came across this video that was just put up on youtube. I thought I'd really enjoy it as I could see Maddie portraying Alice in Wonderland but she just is so weak when it comes to acting or pretending to be someone else. She was great in the 1st Sia video but I don't think she's learned much in the acting classes. Just my opinion.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, sofiah said:

Kalani was 2nd runner up, I think.  Emma Sutherland won, this was her solo:

Beautiful dancer. 

Were there any dancers in the top 20 who were outside of this genre? 

8 hours ago, tessat said:

One of the latest Nia uploads - Have to say that I loved the choreography on this!

Wow, she looks so much more mature/advanced (as a dancer) than she does on the show. I know nothing about judging the technical skills, but it seems like she'd do much better in competitions with this style than the stupid jazz stuff Abby gives her.

8 hours ago, tessat said:

Kendall is really doing NOTHING - Bet Jill is mad!

It's supposed to be Kendall's year!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lemons said:

Were there any dancers in the top 20 who were outside of this genre? 

Simrin won 5th overall with a hiphop solo, and was 2nd runner up for Best Dancer with this solo:

But she is well known for actually being versatile.  

I love Simrin's Hip-Hop but i'm never impressed with her contemporary/other routines. I do at least give her credit for stepping outside the box. The Dance Awards encourages a lot of the same movements. It often looks like a contortionist competition. I wish that there was more emotion and actual dancing than simply transitioning from movement to movement.  

• Love 2

Have to agree Tas - I give her credit but that dance was painful for me to watch - course I'm back from the day when tap and jazz were the norm and I could enjoy the dance with out thinking what message they were trying to convey.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Tasya said:

I love Simrin's Hip-Hop but i'm never impressed with her contemporary/other routines. I do at least give her credit for stepping outside the box. The Dance Awards encourages a lot of the same movements. It often looks like a contortionist competition. I wish that there was more emotion and actual dancing than simply transitioning from movement to movement.  

Yeah I remember watching her as a little kid in hip hop and being so impressed!  I didn't love this solo either. People were raving about it, but I didn't find it that appealing.   But, like you said, you gotta give her credit for going outside the box.  

I loved her solo 'Bang Bang' at the last dance awards she competed in (and won as a Teen). But honestly, to me she's more impressive in classes and conventions rather then competitive solos.  Even in group dances, she just has a quality of movement that I appreciate.  I get the sense that she has rhythm and can dance rather then that she's just practiced something over and over and stretched her muscles off.  I also like that for the most part she seems to avoid the overly-dramatic-sad-face-"emotional"-solos where the dancer seems to walk around the stage aimlessly pausing to hold their legs in the air and holding hinges for 30 seconds ;) . 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 2

The Center Stage movie was awful, but I expected it to be.  As for why some of the original actors came back, does nobody remember how awful some of the acting in the original movie was as well?  I love the movie but it wasn't a cult fave because of the great acting.  The bar wasn't high.  I didn't see enough of Chloe to form an opinion other than to say she was fine.  It was a crappy production, so I'm sure the directing and etc. wasn't great, nor did she have much to work with.  I'll be curious to see how she does in that project she just did with Bailee Madison, since I'm pretty sure she's not playing a dancer and is playing more against her natural type.

Anyway, mostly stopped by to say that Nia is dancing in some show off-broadway?  I just saw pics today and was surprised.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-DANCE-MOMS-Nia-Sioux-Takes-First-Off-Broadway-Bows-in-TRIP-OF-LOVE-20160713

I'm assuming they brought her in for the summer to hopefully get some of the Dance Moms audience into the theatre, but at least she's dancing and performing.

• Love 2

At this point, all the girls are doing more than Kendall, with maybe the exception of Mack Z, though she gets opportunities by virtue of being Maddie's sister in a way that Kendall won't.  I've even seen Jojo doing press rounds to a lot of the Access Hollywood type outlets about some song?  Don't get me wrong in that I don't think Jojo has any musical talent whatsoever, but somebody cares enough to get her booked as a solo act on some of these nationally syndicated shows.  

Also Maddie, Chloe and Kalani were all nominated for Choice Dancer at the Teen Choice Awards.  Maddie & Chloe were nominated last year, with Chloe winning, but Kalani made it on to the ballot this time.

So again, somewhere Jill is screaming her head off to anyone that will listen about how this was supposed to be Kendall's year!

• Love 4

'˜Dance Moms' Season 7 Spoilers: Nia Sioux Makes Exit After Mackenzie Ziegler? Audition Dates Revealed By Abby Lee Miller The reality television series, "Dance Moms' Season 7, has started filming, and some of the images were shared lately by ALDC founder Abby Lee Miller on her social media account. The pictures featured alum Mackenzie Ziegler and Sarah Hunt, who have already bade adieu to the show. But with the recent update, it seems that they will be making a guest appearance in the opening episode.Despite several rumors of "Dance Moms' Season 7 cancelations, it is now confirmed that it is on the way now. According to Christian Daily, the auditions of "Dance Moms' Season 7 will be held on Aug. 13 at New York Marriott in Brooklyn.Several other auditions scheduled for next month - in the first week of August - are about to happen in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.Abby Lee Miller posted a picture of a fortune cookie message on her social media account, stating that “Look ahead in the next month for a new beginning.' She further captioned her picture with hash tags of #dancemoms and #season7.It was also noted that the audition will be done by a world class instructor, but it is not known yet who will it be. Sisters Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler are for sure out of Season 7, but they might do a guest appearance in the opening episode. They will now be focusing on their individual careers and opportunities outside the Lifetime reality show.In another update, it is rumored that Nia Sioux Frazier will also be quitting Season 7 for off-Broadway's "Trip of Love.' But for now, it is her who remains on board from the original cast of the show."Dance Moms' Season 7 is likely to come out by 2017, while Season 6 will be ready to go on air by fall on Lifetime. However, the final premiere date is still awaited.Picture Source: Instagram/Dance Moms

Maddie won choice dancer this year, but because she was announced onstage with the SYTYCD set up she didn't actually get it presented to her or be able to give an acceptance speech. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
4 hours ago, Sonoma said:

Wait, what? How was Maddie annoyed on stage with a "set up" she was actually involved in as part of a skit?

Sorry that was my, lack of sleep mis-type, it should say announced not annoyed. She was announced as part of the SYTYCD set-up.