Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

On May 31, 2016 at 11:16 AM, taragel said:

So Ava from Dance Moms (#5, Ava Plain and Tall at the PTV recap) is going to be judged by Maddie on SYTYCD? I wonder if the show will even mention that they know each other from DM?

http://previously.tv/so-you-think-you-can-dance/on-so-you-think-you-can-dance-kids-are-the-final-frontier/

I really like Ava and her look. She seemed like a sweet kid and Abby definitely bullied her. With that height and slim built (and face), she could definitely be a high fashion model. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the update on Jojo - and I wish them well - although if they quit - they weren't bounced ( DM getting rid of them) Jojo's also had a lot going on and maybe felt they'd leave DM before the bubble burst. Having been left with mostly older girls will really show the group's strentgths or weaknesses having to compete in the teen category.

I've been wondering if this weekend's events will have a chilling impact on the DM meet-n-greets. Over in the Pit Bulls and Parolees thread, we've been discussing the fact that Tia Torres has come out and said that she and her kids (all of whom are adults) will significantly be reducing the amount of public appearances they do and are basically pulling back from meet-n-greets completely after the death of the young lady from the Voice and some bad experiences they've had at their own facility with crazy folks. And this is a woman who has made her life providing jobs to felons and violent criminals. Seeing how so much of what these girls have been able to monetize from their reality show fame is based on these public appearances (where I have to imagine, security is limited, and screening non-existent), I wonder if any of the moms are concerned for the kids safety?

• Love 2

Congratulations to Nia!  I'm always happy to see her doing well, she has a great attitude and I'm always happy to hear of people who appreciate her talent.

Often hustle and a good attitude can win over raw talent.

• Love 2
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

I really like Ava and her look. She seemed like a sweet kid and Abby definitely bullied her. With that height and slim built (and face), she could definitely be a high fashion model. 

I know. Her legs,bod,built are amazing. I'm guessing she's over 5'7. She was at a convention and was definitely taller than a lot of kids there. 

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Rlb8031 said:

I've been wondering if this weekend's events will have a chilling impact on the DM meet-n-greets. Over in the Pit Bulls and Parolees thread, we've been discussing the fact that Tia Torres has come out and said that she and her kids (all of whom are adults) will significantly be reducing the amount of public appearances they do and are basically pulling back from meet-n-greets completely after the death of the young lady from the Voice and some bad experiences they've had at their own facility with crazy folks. And this is a woman who has made her life providing jobs to felons and violent criminals. Seeing how so much of what these girls have been able to monetize from their reality show fame is based on these public appearances (where I have to imagine, security is limited, and screening non-existent), I wonder if any of the moms are concerned for the kids safety?

I think they all have security. But they don't care about safety. It's all about $$$$ and fame.

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 6:40 AM, tessat said:

Thanks for the update on Jojo - and I wish them well - although if they quit - they weren't bounced ( DM getting rid of them) Jojo's also had a lot going on and maybe felt they'd leave DM before the bubble burst. Having been left with mostly older girls will really show the group's strentgths or weaknesses having to compete in the teen category.

Isn't Jojo a teen anyway?

• Love 1
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 0:56 AM, Lemons said:

ok, so Chloe got her dance foundation at the Abbie Lee Dance School, is that right? With teachers hired and some trained by Abby.  Im not sure how that's any better.  Or worse.

A lot if studios are like this. My DDs former SO hires choreographers and teachers. Rarely did she teach. 

• Love 2
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Rightbackatya said:

Well winning was everything to her (as it should be-- why do any of this if you don't intend to win?), and despite the "arrogance" the show and subsequently Chandelier did make her famous, even more so than Chloe. I think it's hilarious that Chloe's fans are still so bitter about that.

People often say that Maddie thinks she's better than everyone, but I've never found a clip or scene of her saying that ever-- and I really have been looking. I think people who don't have as much success as Maddie tend to project that onto her. 

Because you don't do dance just to win. My DD's don't do dance just to win. They do it because they love it. You're not going to win every time. People remember your performance and how you made them feel. 

Maddie was arrogant season one. Blame Melissa and Abby. Melissa kept trying to create a huge ego for her. There were times during season 1 Maddie, Abby, and Melissa said Maddie was better than the other girls. 

None of the girls in my eyes are famous. 

• Love 2
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM, hellohoping said:

I always loved Maddie's confidence in season 1. It's not arrogant to want to win. Nor do I think it came off as arrogant when she quite fairly and quite sweetly (imo) would observe 'I think I'm going to win this one'. Despite how young she was I found that quite an inspiring and admirable quality. 

I think it's strange that fans of Chloe want to insist with such determination that she's as good, that she's as famous, that she's as popular etc. In terms of ability the girls started exactly the same, no doubt about it, but Chloe's passion dissolved through the show and in her last season there was no comparing the two anymore; they just weren't on the same level. I watch Chloe's channel and still think the same if I'm honest, though she's definitely improved immensely since getting her passion back. As for being 'more' famous, I think it's quite clear there are no comparisons there either. Maddie is known in the world outside of Dance Moms, whereas currently Chloe is not really. People know Maddie Ziegler's name who have never watched or heard of the show. Chloe is of course popular - fans of the show love her and that's proved by her TCA, but I can't see her dancing on the Grammys or Ellen Show at any point in the near future. 

This isn't true information. A lot of people in the dance world have no clue who these kids are. Maddie and Chloe aren't famous outside of the show. Even with the Sia video Maddie is just that girl in the Sia video. The TCA with their large social media following got them fan voted awards. Having a huge social media followers doesn't mean your "famous" 

My DD is going to a very good summer intensive. She's also took dance classes with well known choreographers and dancers. None of them know the dance mom people. 

• Love 2
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Loves2Dance said:

I agree with you on this---it was very evident from the beginning that Melissa wanted this show to make Maddie famous; which is ironic now with Abby's admission about wishing she was moving on and taking them with her versus them moving on and now taking Abby with her. 

I have a very competitive older child who is a lot like Maddie---driven, passionate, determined and perfectionistic---but even then, there is still a balance I have never felt Maddie has or has had. Desiring to win is a good thing---it means you're competitive, but desiring to win even if it meant stepping all over people is a little more extreme than I like. Also, in comparison to her age and talent, she's not THAT good of a dancer...without a face that emote emotion, she wouldn't be who is she today. She can thank her genetic far more than her dance skills.

I'm also not bitter about Chandelier, I actually thought Maddie's acting was perfect for it. 

I have never been a Maddie fan---overrated is how I would have described her in Season 1. Season 2 is when I actually thought the arrogance got bad and in the past season or so she's just shown to be over it. As for Chloe's passion---that's an interesting beat and one you can't compare. While the world and Abby lifted Maddie up, quite the opposite was happening to Chloe so for her to stick it out as long as she did was telling. 

I think the girl's are taking two different routes to being 'famous' and while I would agree that Maddie is more well known, I think it'll be Chloe who has the longer staying power. Sadly for Maddie, I see her tumbling down a slipper slope like most child stars do. She lacks the support and foundation, imo, and I blame Melissa 100%.

I think all the girls are going to tumble down. Maddie especially because of Melissa and Abby. 

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM, tessat said:

Wow - such negativity on Chloe. She was always my favorite and continues to be - followed by Brynn - who in the video provided above (TY) shows the emotion seen not on DM but on her other youtube videos.

I think Chloe is quite content where she is in her life - a boyfriend, her passion for dance back and opportunities in many diverse areas. Sometimes taking little steps is better than taking that giant leap - the fall isn't at bad.

Christi is just as bad as Melissa. Except she didn't kiss Abby's ass because Abby hated her and her husband. And she has two daughters not one. But she's fame whoring on poor Clara. 

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 0:11 AM, Lemons said:

Why compete if you don't want to strive to be on top?  There are plenty of dance teams, companies, troupes etc that perform without competing.  That's where you will find the kids who do it for the love of dance.

Because there's no point in dancing if that's all you want to do is win. Win what? There's not a lot of dance scholarships for college or company. Except YAGP every year. Competition dancers compete for the love of it. Yes it's fun to win. But it's fun to hang out with your dance friends, travel, have goals,  teamwork, work hard, balance school,dance, a normal life, meet new people,learn new things, and be on stage trying your hardest. The experience is what counts. 

And there's no such thing as being on top. There are a ton of top studios and dancers. Some might be more well known than others due to social media. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, Darknight said:

Because you don't do dance just to win. My DD's don't do dance just to win. They do it because they love it. You're not going to win every time. People remember your performance and how you made them feel. 

Maddie was arrogant season one. Blame Melissa and Abby. Melissa kept trying to create a huge ego for her. There were times during season 1 Maddie, Abby, and Melissa said Maddie was better than the other girls. 

None of the girls in my eyes are famous. 

What's funny is people always say this but can't produce any evidence of it. I can't find one single clip or episode where Maddie, Abby, or Melissa say Maddie is better than anyone.

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Rightbackatya said:

What's funny is people always say this but can't produce any evidence of it. I can't find one single clip or episode where Maddie, Abby, or Melissa say Maddie is better than anyone.

Maybe you better go back and watch the show - in the talking heads Maddie, Melissa and Abby always talk about how she's the best or better than anyone else. Melissa has made the same statements throughout the years. " They're just jealous because Maddie is the best dancer."

If I find an excerpt on You Tube - I'll link it too you but in the first few episodes of season one - it's blatent and you shouldn't miss it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MoonWalker said:

They're back at the old LA studio on 3rd Street? Did Abby finally go to Jail?

What the hell is going on???

Nice catch.  I missed the half moon window, I don't know how, since it's been a part of my dance tv life for over a decade. Heh.

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Rightbackatya said:

Go on YouTube type in dance moms season 1

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:45 PM, Rightbackatya said:

You need conflict on a reality show and they ran with the fact that Maddie was the most talented dancer and the favorite, etc.  Then they show the other moms getting upset over the favoritism.  It was a big part of the show.  I don't think Melissa was ever shy about her thinking Maddie was "amazing."  Of course all of the moms described their daughters as amazing.  They all bragged about their kids, just some moms were more delusional than others.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nana41 said:

ICYMI:   PITTSBURGH –  "Dance Moms" star Abigale Lee Miller, already facing federal bankruptcy fraud charges in Pittsburgh, has now been charged with failing to report Australian currency she brought into the country in 2014.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/21/dance-moms-abby-miller-hit-with-foreign-currency-charge.html

A quick legal primer on what this means for Abby (spoiler alert: cue Jailhouse Rock).

There is a federal law that makes it a felony to lie to the government, even if what you're lying about is itself completely legal.  There's nothing illegal about taking >$10,000 in cash in/out of the county.  But when you travel to/from overseas, there is a government form which asks you to declare whether you are or not.  Lying on that form is a federal felony.  

Many people have criticized the law because it is a way for the government to get an indictment (and possibly conviction) arising out of their investigation of an alleged crime when they can't (for whatever reason) get an indictment on the actual crime itself.

However, in Abby's case, she's currently under indictment for hiding money.  This is yet another example of her still trying to hide money, even as her attorneys have been trying to work out a plea deal for the current charges.

My guess is that the Prosecutor is going to put an end to any plea negotiations, or at least any negotiations that don't include real jail time.  

I wonder if Abby will blame the same "book-keepers" she's blaming for her prior felony lies for this.

In closing: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Since Bankruptcy Court gets your returns tax fraud will almost certainly follow.

Is it bad that this is the first thing Abby's ever done that makes me wan to dance?

Edited by Willowsmom
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Nikki831 said:

Looks like Abby is pleading guilty to bankruptcy fraud next week.  Does anyone know if this gives her immunity from serving jail time?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/dance-moms-abby-miller-hit-foreign-currency-charge-130416393.html

It's not a question of immunity.  She's pleading guilty so there won't be a trial.  The plea agreement will include a proposed sentence that the Prosecutor and Defense have agreed to, but the Judge doesn't necessarily have to follow it.  

In light of the recent additional charges, I would be very surprised if the Prosecutor would agree to any sentence that didn't include jail time.  But I guess we'll know soon.

• Love 2

Thanks to all of you who answered my question.  I don't know much about legal issues in cases like this.  I was really surprised being a federal case, that her lawyerwas able to postpone so many times. 

Maybe this is odd, but I think it's pretty awesome that they are using an actual teen to do a period related/tampon type commercial because it's a thing that is still so embarrassing at that age, something that you usually hear about from adults, and here is someone their own age talking about it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I do try not to compare the girls head to head (but know a tampon ad does not stack up against whatever Maddie's role in that movie they keep pushing might be). Still, the thought of Jill's head exploding because it's not her aspiring model (singer/actress/blah blah blah) daughter in a national commercial delights me to no end.

Speaking of Chloe (and remaining on topic), don't the ads for the Lifetime show she's in say it premieres this weekend?

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Lifetime movies are those things you don't mean to watch, but then you kind of get sucked in, and you keep trying to turn them off, but you just keep watching. And then there's a preview during the commercials for the next movie and you think, no, I won't watch that, it's ridiculous, and then sure enough, you're half way into it. 

• Love 3