Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, NickDisnCart said:

MDP deserved to win. Here's a clip of the ALDC group. What the hell is this crap? No wonder they got 4th place. And MDP is Erin Babb's studio/team. They've been on the show a few times and have beaten the ALDC.

That was nasty.  They need to stop putting Kalani in sexually suggestable clothing or sexually suggestable movements if they don't want to pigeon hole her.  I don't think they would do that to her if she didn't have a "voluptuous" figure. 

I thought that MDP group was the one Chloe joined in Pittsburgh after she left Abby.  They were alright.  I think the should have been cleaner because you know they practice those routines more than they take class. 

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 11:01 PM, Lemons said:

That was nasty.  They need to stop putting Kalani in sexually suggestable clothing or sexually suggestable movements if they don't want to pigeon hole her.  I don't think they would do that to her if she didn't have a "voluptuous" figure. 

I thought that MDP group was the one Chloe joined in Pittsburgh after she left Abby.  They were alright.  I think the should have been cleaner because you know they practice those routines more than they take class. 

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Studio 19, a Pittsburgh studio. 

MDP is an LA studio (I think) who have been on the show before. I love their dances. Chloe is presumably only dancing with them for the television show. I would assume she's never trained or danced with them before the cameras started rolling.

• Love 1

That ALDC dance was cringe worthy - what the heck was that?

OK the choreographers - Lauriann Gibson - was a Flygirl on In Living Color also- she is a Canadian choreographer, director, television personality, singer, actress and dancer. She has choreographed dance numbers for musical artists such as Michael Jackson, Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé. Her music video directing credits include "Judas", "You and I" and "Love to My Cobain". Her Facebook page has photos of her with the girls.

Meagan Nugent - https://www.facebook.com/meagan.nugent.9 She doesn't seem to have much going on as the other.

10 hours ago, realdancemom said:

ITA.  Is it really a memoir if Abby isn't mentioned?  Maddie spent a good chunk of her life at ALDC.

It's not an accurate memoir if that's what they are labeling it. She might as well leave her mother out too because she is the one who pushed Maddie to be busy constantly, not turning down anything. She had the final word, not Abby. 

Kids have a short memory and since she's not on the show anymore, she might not have as many buyers. Especially if she tries to avoid speaking about the reason she's famous. 

Does anyone know if she moved back to PA with her mother to join the rest of the family?  I never could understand how those women could leave half their families to go to Hollywood for months at a time. 

7 hours ago, Lemons said:

It's not an accurate memoir if that's what they are labeling it. She might as well leave her mother out too because she is the one who pushed Maddie to be busy constantly, not turning down anything. She had the final word, not Abby. 

It's a memoir in that it's about her life, but not an exhaustive history or any kind of tell-all. (I saw an early galley a few weeks back.) It's very much a diary-style book for teens about certain parts of being famous, liking makeup, growing up with Mackenzie, the Sia connection, etc.  She barely talks at all about either dance or Abby. And there are no surprising opinions or controversial thoughts in the whole thing. 

It will sell a lot of copies to the kids (or their moms) who follow the show though.

Edited by taragel
6 hours ago, taragel said:

It's a memoir in that it's about her life, but not an exhaustive history or any kind of tell-all. (I saw an early galley a few weeks back.) It's very much a diary-style book for teens about certain parts of being famous, liking makeup, growing up with Mackenzie, the Sia connection, etc.  She barely talks at all about either dance or Abby. And there are no surprising opinions or controversial thoughts in the whole thing. 

It will sell a lot of copies to the kids (or their moms) who follow the show though.

OK, I guess it's kind of silly to even give a fluff book like this a category.  But a memoir would be about things in her life that made her who she is.  And since Abbie and the ADLC and the reality show was her full time status for half of her life, I would say it was part of making her who she is.

But it makes to more sense that it is very kid friendly, taking about stuff that matters to pre-teens, young teens. 

Much as I loathe Abby, for Maddie to tell (or, let's face it, for Melissa to sign off on a ghost-written) biography that doesn't include the role that being on Dance Moms played in her success is really wrong.

I mean, everyone will always know her as the girl who started on DM, but I think the omission just reflects how Machiavellian Melissa is.

• Love 5

I think the term memoir is being used loosely here.  Maddie's agents and other assorted Hollywood folk I'm sure want to distance her current career away from Dance Moms as much as possible, so she likely wasn't allowed to mention Abby and the other girls here even if she wanted.  They are trying to brand her as legitimate up and coming actress/dancer/teen queen, not a reality show girl.  That said, this isn't remotely a memoir and just some dashed off book for the tween market hoping to make everyone a few bucks.  The catch 22 is I'm not sure teen girls are that interested in here outside the context of Dance Moms.  The industry maybe, but I'm not sure about fans.

5 hours ago, amitville said:

sad to read

Not really.  She talked about stress at 11 years old but you could say that about every one of those children that are put through those competitions on TV and put under pressure to win, by their mothers, their teachers and themselves.

You could also say that stress is involved with any child who is pushed to be perfect, whether grades or sports or any activity. 

She also talked about having fun times too. It was a crazy show that's for sure but there didn't seem to be a lack of parents who were willing to put their child on it 

• Love 1

So is the general consensus that Abby and the Ziegler's are through? Apparently they've all unfollowed each other on Instagram (read in a YouTube comment, no idea if that's true).

Last I heard before this was Abby was calling and crying to Melissa when the mums ditched her, so I guess there's been a rift since then.

Hm. I'm not Abby's biggest fan but seems a bit hard that she'll now get no credit from Maddie or the Ziegler's for Maddie's success. Stressful or not, Abby's constant pushing and praising of Maddie really helped get her where she is. But there must be a reason people seem to turn so easily on her, so...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hellohoping said:

But there must be a reason people seem to turn so easily on her, so...

"There must be a reason"?

Have you seen the show? 

She's a mean-spirited, narcissistic, vindictive bully with a hair-trigger temper. She might be good at her job, but it's easy (to me anyway) to understand why people can't sustain friendships with her long-term. 

In terms of the Zieglers, Melissa probably wants to be the one credited with Maddie's success, or failing that, that Maddie is so special/perfect/amazing that she came out of the womb that way/her success was inevitable.

There's no room for Abby in her new narrative.

• Love 5

I really think Maddie's management and handlers have probably told her to distance herself from both Abby and the show, and of course Melissa will go along with whatever brings in the money.  It's not a good look when you are trying to make your daughter into a legit movie star to have her hitched to a potentially abusive reality dance teacher who might go to jail.  It's not just Melissa.  I'm sure everyone in Maddie's camp is telling her to steer clear.  Though to be fair, Melissa could put her foot down if she wanted to keep up a relationship.  She should be the one calling the shots as long as Maddie is underage.

• Love 3

I would love to know how their friendship unraveled.  There seems to be more to the story than distancing oneself from the show. The way she distances herself from the show lacks humility because she got the most from it.  I am not a fan of Abby's teaching style either; it brought division through favoritism.  I doubt Melissa would have kept her daughters on the show if the show did not benefit her girls. Being the leader of the team does carry stress; however, Abby did her best to give her top billing in everything.   The one Abby gave the most positive attention with her abrasive teaching style bit her the hardest in the end (laugh). Life works like that sometimes. 

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 1

Has to be a comment further up the link as to MacKenzie. Sorry but the girl is only popular because of Dance Moms. Distancing herself will only harm her as she really is not that good of an actress.  Keeping the association with Dance Moms means you'll still be remembered at least as long as the show survives.

Maddie did more when she was on Dance Moms than when she left. Her stint on So You Think You Can Dance was cringe worthy. Her movie has yet to be released. She has Dance Moms, her stint on the Disney Nick shows and the Sia videos which promoted her.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2017 at 3:06 PM, holly4755 said:

I was looking to find the sentence for Abby, could not find it, but then I was curious and looked to see how Kendall song is doing.didn't find that  but 

does't Jill keep accusing Kira of passing bad checks because there was this this old news from 2005

Dead Broke Dance Mom? Kendall Vertes’ Mom Jill Busted For Writing Bad Checks

Yikes!!  It looks like a lot of them claimed bankruptcy and owed over a million dollars!!  They definitely have a different mindset than me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

TMZ is saying Abby has quit the show. Could this be a harbinger of sentencing?

"Abby Lee Miller has announced she's quit Dance Moms with an Instagram post in which she also accuses Lifetime producers of 'manipulating and disrespecting' her.

The 51-year-old reality star shared a photo of her with her winning nationals team on Sunday night as she revealed she won't be returning to the show after seven seasons."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4354326/Abby-Lee-Miller-announces-s-quit-Dance-Moms.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/abby-lee-miller-quits-dance-moms-says-she-200028325.html

I was coming to post the same thing on yahoo. Problem is if you watch the video - she says how she's provided the costumes for the last 7 seasons. If that's the case - how come all the drama in the first few seasons about the moms having to come up with the costumes? Abby may have provided the leotards - but as in my day of dance - the moms were the ones who sewed on all the sequins. Abby, if she did provide the costumes - did nothing that the average dance teacher doesn't do - the teachers come up with the costume ideas and either tell moms what to buy or buys enough for the group and the moms then compensate her. Seems to me this is an easy way out of thefact everyone is defecting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tessat said:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/abby-lee-miller-quits-dance-moms-says-she-200028325.html

I was coming to post the same thing on yahoo. Problem is if you watch the video - she says how she's provided the costumes for the last 7 seasons. If that's the case - how come all the drama in the first few seasons about the moms having to come up with the costumes? Abby may have provided the leotards - but as in my day of dance - the moms were the ones who sewed on all the sequins. Abby, if she did provide the costumes - did nothing that the average dance teacher doesn't do - the teachers come up with the costume ideas and either tell moms what to buy or buys enough for the group and the moms then compensate her. Seems to me this is an easy way out of thefact everyone is defecting.

Maybe she meant that it wasn't Lifetime or the production company who did everything? Although that contradicts Abby previously complaining about having to do everything they said and how she didn't have creative control.

Abby is gone.  The team splitting drama and brining Chloe back seems orchestrated to bring some more life to the show.  I wonder how many more episodes they can squeeze off this show. LOL  I'll tune in just to see how the show is with a different teacher.

Ashlee and Brynn also quit the show. They went back home to Arizona today and Brynn is going back to Club Dance. Good for them, the show is falling apart quickly. Bringing back the Lukasiaks seems like a desperate last attempt for ratings/interest.

Also, as much as hate Abby she was Dance Moms. No Abby = No Dance Moms But, I'm also curious to see how the show will be with a different teacher.

• Love 2

I'm sorry to hear that Brynn left - I enjoyed watching her - now if Kendall had left - I wouldn't have felt bad but Jill knows this is the only thing giving her daughter any kind of publicity. I'm glad Chloe is back and looking forward to see if she's actually competing with the girls or against them.

Still miss the minis and wish they'd start from scratch with new minis and new moms.

As far as Abby - she should have saved her money as the gravy train has stopped and she'll end up losing the original dance studio if she hasn't already. Kind of like people who win the lottery and years later have nothing to show for it!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/exclusive-cheryl-burke-to-replace-abby-lee-miller-on-dance-moms/ar-BByZjMz?li=BBnb7Kz

Sounds like they resumed filming today with Cheryl (article says Wednesday so I assume it is today).  I am definitely back in if Cheryl is on.  Maybe she is reason why Chloe is back?  Who knows...maybe Paige will make a comeback too? 

Article also says Abby demanded Laurieann not be allowed on set.  Ego or what??  Guess Abby has now learned her mantra of everyone is replaceable applies to her to! 

Edited by Cupcake04

Woah, so now everybody is jumping off this trainwreck. Gianna tweeted today that was "getting back to real life" so she is gone from Dance Moms. And with Abby departing the show, Lilliana and her mother confirmed on Instagram they've quit the show along with Elliana, Maesi and their mothers. So the minis and their moms are gone too.

So basically Abby, Gianna, Brynn, Ashlee, the minis and their mothers all have quit and left the show. No more filming at ALDC studio either.

The only girls left on the show are Kalani, Nia, Kendall, Camryn, and Chloe. There are only 4 episodes left to film of Season 7.5 according to that article.

• Love 2

In that video Ashlee implied that Abby had been protecting the dances from being too provocative, and her leaving meant the producers would push for more sexy dances? Abby had the girls do a dance as strippers when they were like 8 years old.

The whole show is circling the drain. They should have gone out on a semi-high note after last season.

• Love 2

I have read at least a week ago that Abby left the show.  The premise of this show will have to change.  I can't see Cheryl playing Abby's role on the show, and she shouldn't for the children and her image.  I don't know what to expect from this show, and I think they should cancel it.  The girls that are staying on the show, to me, have outgrew their role.  They need to be doing bigger and better things.  I am actually surprised to see the mini team leave the show because I thought they would be on the show with anybody for exposure.  I have more respect for them now. Back to Abby, I actually feel sad for her now unlike every before.  I think she played herself on this show.  She did not give her role on this show any good character traits.  Also, she did not portray herself as one of the main reasons for the girls' success, especially with her favoritism with her best dancers. Yes, the show is circling the drain.  The splitting of teams and bring back past dancers is an act of desperation in my eyes.  I really want to know why Cheryl wants to be on this show; I am sitting here watching the show defunct.  Some of the cast should write their tell-all book because I am all ears. 

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 2

I've stated before that the girls are getting too old and they really needed to focus on a new mini team that people again could watch grow up. I'm sorry that Brynn left as I enjoyed watching her dance even more so than Kalani who I love because I was beginning to be put off by Kalani's costumes - I ended up focusing more on that than the dance itself.

I'm one who is happy to see Chloe come back as I enjoy her dancing. I think there is a lot more going on than we know at this time. For Christi to support Jill - something is up because they were never friends.

I disagree with the above poster as I feel Abby portrayed a character that she knew caused controversy and kept viewers. She may have been critical as an instructor before but she took it to a whole new level to keep interest in the show. She also was always telling everyone that if it wasn't for her - they'd be nothing and in a way it's true. People loved to hate Abby - didn't matter who she was picking on - any child would do. 

I don't think the minis left as much as they were told not to return as they didn't fit in with the way the show was going to proceed - we've seen that numerous times before. 

• Love 1

I think the producers are dirty as they come.  If they are parents themselves they are definitely the type to eat their own.

A friend showed me a video that's supposedly a new routine the girls competed without Abby.  I can see why Brynn's mom pulled her.  My friend and I were both dance moms of competitive dancers when our daughters were in middle and high school.  We're used to what costumes and routines look like in some of the same competition arenas featured on the show, and some that won't let the show film but the real ALDC teams competed.  The routine my friend showed me of the girls without Abby would have not fit the rules of most of the major dance competition organizations that tour the country -- which lead to the real national competitions IN THE SUMMER.  I want to see if the routine my friend showed me online makes it to air -- and who they put onscreen as the choreographer.  

4 hours ago, tessat said:

I've stated before that the girls are getting too old and they really needed to focus on a new mini team that people again could watch grow up. I'm sorry that Brynn left as I enjoyed watching her dance even more so than Kalani who I love because I was beginning to be put off by Kalani's costumes - I ended up focusing more on that than the dance itself.

I'm one who is happy to see Chloe come back as I enjoy her dancing. I think there is a lot more going on than we know at this time. For Christi to support Jill - something is up because they were never friends.

I disagree with the above poster as I feel Abby portrayed a character that she knew caused controversy and kept viewers. She may have been critical as an instructor before but she took it to a whole new level to keep interest in the show. She also was always telling everyone that if it wasn't for her - they'd be nothing and in a way it's true. People loved to hate Abby - didn't matter who she was picking on - any child would do. 

I don't think the minis left as much as they were told not to return as they didn't fit in with the way the show was going to proceed - we've seen that numerous times before. 

Reality TV to me is all contrived.  I said Abby played herself.  She brought on her own demise.  I never said she did not know what she was doing.  It was not a wise choice for the long term of her career, that's my point.  She played a role where she had no demurring character traits for people to love.  She took on a persona that was the kiss of death.  She made herself the villain.  Yeah, she took her TV persona to another level. Many people do it too for fame.  People hate Abby because her persona was not conducive for kids' learning, and she was unnecessary mean at times.  Some of the things she said I could never imagine saying to someone, especially a child.   It is cool right now to dog Abby; she has been overly kicked around now. I know karma. LOL  I can see things from many angles, and I am a fair person. Abby did not just pick any child to overly criticize.  Her favoritism allowed some kids to always shine.  Abby was not balanced and fair. She did not try humiliate all the children; some she wanted to look good.  You are right that she did say that phrase (lasing out mainly), but she turned around and did the opposite. She needed to show and not just talk.  Abby never made it appear the team won because of her skills. She put too much of the success on a dancer--big mistake.  That is a lot of pressure for a kid also.   Due to the poor way she portrayed herself, she will be only known as mean, and not a teacher.  Even though she dug her own grave, I am not as happy to see her demise like I thought I would when she was being mean to Chloe, Nina, and many other children.  She fell hard. 

I think a lot of us feel the girls are reaching the age cut off for this show.  I was briefly happy to see Chloe come back, but I am not too excited now.  Chloe, Nina, Kalani, and Kendal need to spread their wings and leave this show.  They remind me of how the original characters on Saved by The Bell stayed on the show past their expiration date.  I loved watching them on the show, but it was time for them to leave. 

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 5

I think you misinterpreted my post - yes she did target certain girls and glorified Maddie - my point was these moms owe her for the success of Dance Moms. Anyone's child could have been picked to be a dancer on Dance Moms - but the producer's and Abby picked Paige, Brooke ( sister angle is a good view ) Chloe ( child who dances beautifully but has a lazy eye so people sympathized with her ) Nia ( a minority ), Maddie and Mac ( sisters again - cute - Maddie was good at dancing and they hoped Mac would follow in her footsteps ) and Kendall ( not so much because the kid was special but the mom was outrageous and would attract viewers. )

But the show would have been a success even with a whole different group of kids as long as they fit the profiles they wanted included. These kids now have global exposure - some have acted - some are singing - some have clothing lines all because they were the ones picked for Dance Moms.

I will disagree that it wasn't a wise choice for Abby to portray the villain as not only has she had success for years but a spin off - Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. The Dance Moms Miami and England didn't take hold because the teachers were too nice - there wasn't enough controversy to keep viewers interested. I myself like less drama but the majority of viewers didn't and that's why they failed. It's no different than Bring It - they did a spin off of one of the other majorette coaches who was a B*** but in her spin off - she was more demure - she showed she cared for these kids - there wasn't enough yelling or drama and the show lasted 1 season. Another show I liked as it showed more of the kids and not the teacher.

Most reality shows don't last forever and if they have been long running - it's because the producers change things up - aka - Survivor and Amazing Race. Shows like the Bachelor, DWTS ect.. while still drawing large crowds are not drawing the viewers they use to - and will soon fade just like American Idol. There is only so long you can hold people's interest in most shows. Having a new mini team that was the main focus may have kept Dance Moms afloat but maybe not.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, tessat said:

I think you misinterpreted my post - yes she did target certain girls and glorified Maddie - my point was these moms owe her for the success of Dance Moms. Anyone's child could have been picked to be a dancer on Dance Moms - but the producer's and Abby picked Paige, Brooke ( sister angle is a good view ) Chloe ( child who dances beautifully but has a lazy eye so people sympathized with her ) Nia ( a minority ), Maddie and Mac ( sisters again - cute - Maddie was good at dancing and they hoped Mac would follow in her footsteps ) and Kendall ( not so much because the kid was special but the mom was outrageous and would attract viewers. )

But the show would have been a success even with a whole different group of kids as long as they fit the profiles they wanted included. These kids now have global exposure - some have acted - some are singing - some have clothing lines all because they were the ones picked for Dance Moms.

I will disagree that it wasn't a wise choice for Abby to portray the villain as not only has she had success for years but a spin off - Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. The Dance Moms Miami and England didn't take hold because the teachers were too nice - there wasn't enough controversy to keep viewers interested. I myself like less drama but the majority of viewers didn't and that's why they failed. It's no different than Bring It - they did a spin off of one of the other majorette coaches who was a B*** but in her spin off - she was more demure - she showed she cared for these kids - there wasn't enough yelling or drama and the show lasted 1 season. Another show I liked as it showed more of the kids and not the teacher.

Most reality shows don't last forever and if they have been long running - it's because the producers change things up - aka - Survivor and Amazing Race. Shows like the Bachelor, DWTS ect.. while still drawing large crowds are not drawing the viewers they use to - and will soon fade just like American Idol. There is only so long you can hold people's interest in most shows. Having a new mini team that was the main focus may have kept Dance Moms afloat but maybe not.

Thanks for the clarification.  I never thought about the stereotypical casting expect for Nina's part. Yeah, the dancers could have been any girl.  The show is a great opportunity for kid dancers that want stardom if they can handle a character like Abby.  I also agree Abby was fundamental part of the show but along with Maddie.  I think I see how you defined success as Abby keeping the show on TV. Many people do watch this show for the drama.  For me, I just like watching shows centering around the dance world.  I have noticed that this show is like people's dirty secret.  They are afraid to admit they watch it because of Abby's character.  I think her success is short term with the duration of this show unless she makes some changes with how she presents herself on the show.  I understand success can be defined by many different ways.  It will be fun to see her next move or comeback. People do love brash characters.   

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 2

I too watch it for the Dance and there have been some wonderful numbers throughout the years and some horrible ones. I appreciate these boards because most of us have some connection to the Dance World whether it be Dance Moms or past dancers so we see the show for what it is - reality that isn't really reality.

I don't think Abby really has a future any more and that's kind of sad. I still do not believe that production controlled everything - I'm sure she had input in many areas - she's not a stupid lady - but doesn't look to the future. Had the show been so controlled by production - she would not have had Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition and we could tell that despite the additional "judges" - Abby made the final call on who she wanted to keep.

What I miss are the Lifetime Dance Mom boards - OMG - now there you would find "fans" who had no idea how scripted this show was. It was a hoot! I believe it was shut down when Maddie's aunt joined the ruckus trying to set people straight - unfortunately from what we saw - Maddie was the favored child and many people believe what they see without question.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, DaisyFields500 said:

I think a lot of us feel the girls are reaching the age cut off for this show.  I was briefly happy to see Chloe come back, but I am not too excited now.  Chloe, Nina, Kalani, and Kendal need to spread their wings and leave this show.  They remind me of how the original characters on Saved by The Bell stayed on the show past their expiration date.  I loved watching them on the show, but it was time for them to leave. 

I'd like to think Chloe is returning for one reason...

Obviously, I don't know the reason behind the decision to return to the show but I'm hoping it was Chloe's choice, not her mother's, and I hope it's not just for fame and exposure. Chloe was on the first four seasons, from ages 10-13, and leaving the show was the right decision at the time. Now, at nearly 16 years old, when offered the opportunity to return, I'm hoping Chloe, after giving it much thought, saw it as an opportunity to show everyone, especially "Miss Abby," what a strong, mature young woman she has become, and how she wouldn't be beaten down by a bully in position of authority. Coming back, bigger, better and stronger, should be empowering to Chloe.

*I realize as I now write this, it's been announced Abby won't be returning, but when I first heard Chloe would be making an appearance, I thought it could be healthy for her to confront her tormentor.