Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, taragel said:

Abby also got a $40,000 fine and $120,000 fine according to Deadline's article. I don't think she did pay the money back.

She paid it all back sometime between the time she pleaded guilty and sentencing, it was reported in February or March.  So these additional fines are on top of her prison sentence.  I think Abby did not help her case by telling the judge she'd "like to go out to lunch" with her, just before sentencing...  no, you do not speak to a judge that way!  Not smart.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, lilacs and roses said:

She paid it all back sometime between the time she pleaded guilty and sentencing, it was reported in February or March.  So these additional fines are on top of her prison sentence.  I think Abby did not help her case by telling the judge she'd "like to go out to lunch" with her, just before sentencing...  no, you do not speak to a judge that way!  Not smart.

Lol. Or that she wanted the judge to take one of her classes. 

• Love 4
On 5/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Mojoker said:

I don't know if someone's already posted this, so, sorry if this is repetitive.  But I wondered about the "and a day" part of the sentence, and here's what I found:

Answered 4 Feb 2011 by Lisa Borodkin, Columbia Law. Practicing Internet law since 1998.

Because the crime is classified as a felony.

A felony is defined in the US federal system as a crime punishable by a sentence of death or imprisonment by over one year. Specifically, a crime punishable by imprisonment for less than five years but more than one year is a Class E felony.  See 18 U.S.C. § 3559(a)(5).

If punishable by a sentence of exactly one year, the crime is considered a Class A misdemeanor. See 18. U.S.C. § 3559(a)(6).

A person who commits a felony is a "felon." A person who commits a misdemeanor is a "misdemeanant."

Thanks for looking that up and sharing.  I was perplexed by the "day", but hadn't looked into it yet. 

• Love 1

From what I read Kelly and Christie were not there to support her but  watch her go down. After rewatching the first 4 seasons - how degrading she ws to both Chloe and Paige was evident.

MacKenzie's ( or Kenzie today I guess ) new video. It's alright - she's really starting to look like her dad. Looks like Fendall dancing in the background - can't figure out who the other one is.

I saw a video of her singing at an outdoor fair and she was horrible - so I'm wondering how much autotune is done.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tessat said:

MacKenzie's ( or Kenzie today I guess ) new video. It's alright - she's really starting to look like her dad. Looks like Fendall dancing in the background - can't figure out who the other one is.

I saw a video of her singing at an outdoor fair and she was horrible - so I'm wondering how much autotune is done.

She looks so much older than the last time I saw her. Time flies, I guess. That video is better than that annoying "Girl Party" one she did back on the show. I know she was young, but I cringed everytime I saw it.

12 hours ago, tessat said:

Not much from Melissa and nothing from Maddie - SAD!

I kind of respect that more than people giving interviews in an apparent attempt to get attention out of it, or the people gloating about it on social media. I think Abby appeared to be an awful person on the show and clearly broke the law, but she is getting what she deserves by going to prison. 

I can get feeling happy when someone who hurt you suffers, because I think it is kind of human nature. But doing it publicly seems unnecessary. 

• Love 4
On 5/13/2017 at 2:10 PM, tessat said:

Not much from Melissa and nothing from Maddie - SAD!

I find it surprising how bitter and cruel people can be. I know Abby wasn't nice to Paige and Chloe, but to throw a party for the woman going to jail? And what could she have done that was so bad to Mackenzie? I wonder if the fact that no fuss was made of the girls on their last episode and Abby gave Mackenzie a solo destined to lose was actually the final straw for Melissa, or if it was something else behind the scenes.

On the one hand I think Abby must actually be a pretty terrible person, for real, to have so many people - including old friends - rejoice at her prison sentence. On the other hand I think these people are just a bit twisted. Who knows. Cathy's post seems the most normal of all of them.

• Love 4

JoJo's new song about candy? This is so cringeworthy as that Boomerang song. And she can't sing.

That seems very young. Or like an ad for something. Not an actual song people would listen to.

JoJo is such a great performer on stage and she always seemed game to do anything Abby threw at her. I don't get why they are positioning her as a singer, which is not where her strengths are. I read she signed a deal with Nickelodeon which seems like a good fit for her.

• Love 2

Even tho the song is more directed as young kids - I think that's where a lot of Jojo's fan base is. It also may have been produced like that since she signed a deal with Nickelodeon for something geared towards the younger demographic. Kendall is geared toward tween where I think Nia is trying to gear her songs and videos toward late teen.

Has anyone seen or bot looking for Kendall's line at Target - if it even exists? Of all the ALDC members - past and present - Kendall rates lowest on the popularity pole as far as I know.

I have to say I just watched A Cowgirl's Story with Chloe. Definitely a low grade tween feel good movie with a Christian message but I thought Chloe did good. Her character wasn't as bad as I assumed looking at the descriptions I've seen online.  After her father, an Army Ranger, got killed in action, she broke into his partner's house to find something valuable her dad has left in the partner's care that would have provided for her and her mom. She did drink - once - but she was far from the bad girl described. I concentrated on her acting abilities at first but after the first 20 minutes - realized she was no better or worse than the rest of them. Her sincerity showed throw the acting and I thought she did a pretty good job. Waiting to finally see how Maddie comes across.  

• Love 1

I was at Wal*Mart the other day shopping for a kid's birthday party and on one of their end caps were posters of JoJo. I was surprised and yet not surprised to see them. She is definitely being marketed down from her age, but I think it works for her. 

I shop at Target all of the time for my kid's clothes and have never seen anything by Kendall. I did see the Art Club stuff (which was horrific, imo) but it featured Asia and a handful of others. 

On 5/15/2017 at 2:50 AM, hellohoping said:

I find it surprising how bitter and cruel people can be. I know Abby wasn't nice to Paige and Chloe, but to throw a party for the woman going to jail? And what could she have done that was so bad to Mackenzie? I wonder if the fact that no fuss was made of the girls on their last episode and Abby gave Mackenzie a solo destined to lose was actually the final straw for Melissa, or if it was something else behind the scenes.

On the one hand I think Abby must actually be a pretty terrible person, for real, to have so many people - including old friends - rejoice at her prison sentence. On the other hand I think these people are just a bit twisted. Who knows. Cathy's post seems the most normal of all of them.

Christi and Kelly are just such gross lowlifes.

• Love 1

On the one hand I think Abby must actually be a pretty terrible person, for real, to have so many people - including old friends - rejoice at her prison sentence. On the other hand I think these people are just a bit twisted.

This! Hot Damn, Jeannie, build a fucking bridge. I think I find her the most annoying, and self righteous of the lot of 'em. 

Well I'm rewatching the old episodes - although Christi and Kelly whined and moaned all the time - what they had to say was right - Maddie received all the praise and the other kids were treated like crap. I'm on Season 5 - where Kalani comes back after leaving the first time. There was no beat down like Kelli and Christi received and their girls - when they returned. Kira is really a hateful, miserable B***CH - much more so than Christi and Kelly. Jessalyn just made her appearance with Jojo and she is a real pip too.

Series have to have people you love to hate or it would be pretty boring. Whether Survivor, Dance Moms, Real World - there is always at least one everyone usually dislikes.

Of all the girls - I thought that Kalani was the most satisfied staying with dance - but with all the others taking a shot and the end of the show coming soon - she has to spread out as who else is going to keep Kira from writing more bad checks when the money stops flowing.

• Love 1

JoJo has a doll coming out. It's already available for pre-orders on Walmart.com. Seems like Jojo is really the only one out of all of them that is building an empire for herself. Her hair bow line at Claire's is doing gangbusters.

• Love 2

Good for Jojo - Maddie & Mackenzie had a clothing line out in Australia in 2014 - but not sure it's still active. Maddie also has a clothing line - https://www.maddiestyle.com/ - but again it's online.

I don't think the line is very popular as I only see a couple items on Ebay US and none on Ebay Australia. If Nickelodeon fires up a show then that will only push the Jojo merchandise.

• Love 1

Nickelodeon released a video of a birthday party they threw for JoJo at Wal*Mart. In addition to her new doll, she also has a party line out too. 

On 5/20/2017 at 5:51 AM, tessat said:

Good for Jojo - Maddie & Mackenzie had a clothing line out in Australia in 2014 - but not sure it's still active. Maddie also has a clothing line - https://www.maddiestyle.com/ - but again it's online.

I don't think the line is very popular as I only see a couple items on Ebay US and none on Ebay Australia. If Nickelodeon fires up a show then that will only push the Jojo merchandise.

I think some of Maddie's stuff is cute, but it's definitely marketed towards older girls. Also, if you look at the # campaign nearly all of the girls featured are dancers or budding models/actress/singers...etc. It's definitely not as commercial as it could be. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tessat said:

I also saw Kalani  / Kira has a line for socks - the items are cute - but at $14.50 a pair - I think I'll pass.

$14.50 for a one pair of sock is ridiculous. I would never pay that for socks. But if you thought that was ridiculous, Kalani had a makeup line where it $100 just for one lipstick. Are you fucking kidding me? I can see why her makeup line was a huge flop and why most weren't even aware that it existed.

Also, Maddie clothing line is too expensive imo. Brynn's clothing line comes out on July 1st for those who didn't know. JoJo also announced a clothing today which will obviously be geared towards the younger crowd as apart of her brand.

• Love 1

Unfortunately - I think these ventures came out too late to make an impact. Most lines - whether dolls, clothes ect come out in the hey day of a star's popularity - Bieber, a new Nickoledeon show ect... - if interest in the star or show survives - than more is added to the line or other lines of products are offered. The show has lost interest - viewers have moved on and it has Abby's law suits hanging over their heads. I was surprised that Kendall introduced a new song ( I do like it ) but kids who use to be fans of the shpw - have grown up and moved on to other stars and other things.

Rewatching all of these old episodes shows how contrived so many things were that we didn't even see or notice at the time. But Jill was always despicable from day 1 - of all the mom's she is and was my least favorite followed by Kira.

I know that we don't have the amt of posters here we use to have - but did Abby close or lose the Pittsburgh studio -I tried to call the number and there is no answer - no machine - nothing. Also there was a picture of a for rent or sale sign over the backdoor of the LA studio.

I realize Abby owed quite a bit of money - but she could have paid that back and more on what she's received during the years - so why if she will be out in a year wasn't the dance studios set up with a manager to continue the classes? She may lose revenue due to the notariety but I can't believe she'd sacrifice it all for a year.

16 hours ago, MoonWalker said:

$14.50 for a one pair of sock is ridiculous. I would never pay that for socks. But if you thought that was ridiculous, Kalani had a makeup line where it $100 just for one lipstick. Are you fucking kidding me? I can see why her makeup line was a huge flop and why most weren't even aware that it existed.

Also, Maddie clothing line is too expensive imo. Brynn's clothing line comes out on July 1st for those who didn't know. JoJo also announced a clothing today which will obviously be geared towards the younger crowd as apart of her brand.

$100 for one lipstick? Who does she think she is, Chanel? Girl, no.

I saw JoJo bows in my Target today---I'm happy to see her brand being branched out. Of all the newer kids, I thought she would do well in the real world. She can't sing worth a darn, but she has major appeal to the younger audiences. Will be interested to see what her clothes look like---I have 2 little girls in her brands age range so I guarantee we'll likely own some of it. She seems to be doing Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen like and we all know the empire they built. 

Brynn is doing a clothing line too? I wonder which age it'll be geared too. 

4 hours ago, tessat said:

Unfortunately - I think these ventures came out too late to make an impact. Most lines - whether dolls, clothes ect come out in the hey day of a star's popularity - Bieber, a new Nickoledeon show ect... - if interest in the star or show survives - than more is added to the line or other lines of products are offered. The show has lost interest - viewers have moved on and it has Abby's law suits hanging over their heads. I was surprised that Kendall introduced a new song ( I do like it ) but kids who use to be fans of the shpw - have grown up and moved on to other stars and other things.

Rewatching all of these old episodes shows how contrived so many things were that we didn't even see or notice at the time. But Jill was always despicable from day 1 - of all the mom's she is and was my least favorite followed by Kira.

I know that we don't have the amt of posters here we use to have - but did Abby close or lose the Pittsburgh studio -I tried to call the number and there is no answer - no machine - nothing. Also there was a picture of a for rent or sale sign over the backdoor of the LA studio.

I realize Abby owed quite a bit of money - but she could have paid that back and more on what she's received during the years - so why if she will be out in a year wasn't the dance studios set up with a manager to continue the classes? She may lose revenue due to the notariety but I can't believe she'd sacrifice it all for a year.

She rented out the Pittsburgh studio. http://www.appolonialeakedancecompany.com/

No clue on LA.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tessat said:

Thanks for the update - looks like Gianna stayed - wonder where the others went - James was always talked about on the show!

https://abbyleedancecompany.com/faculty/

http://www.appolonialeakedancecompany.com/faculty.html

I'm just surprised that with all the money she's had coming in - she couldn't manage both places - maybe this lawsuit - both the expense and negative exposure was too much.

James went to NYC to work in 2014. 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, Loves2Dance said:

Nickelodeon released a video of a birthday party they threw for JoJo at Wal*Mart. In addition to her new doll, she also has a party line out too. 

I think some of Maddie's stuff is cute, but it's definitely marketed towards older girls. Also, if you look at the # campaign nearly all of the girls featured are dancers or budding models/actress/singers...etc. It's definitely not as commercial as it could be. 

I just saw the first advertisement for a movie called "The Book of Henry!" I don't pay too much attention to the girls outside the repeats on Lifetime, but I saw this little girl and said to myself, "that looks like Maddie!" Sure enough another clip showed her and I looked it up on Wiki! I know she's working, but this will probably be the 1st thing I'll watch of hers outside of Sia videos! Are the other mothers "dying" after beating up on Melissa for being so one track-minded of making her kids stars? ;-) - - - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Henry - - -

Actually Avon - Chloe has been in 2 movies, is the dancer in many music videos, is modeling ect.... Nia has her music as well as parts in a movie, Kendall - well it's Kendall. The other girls have done alright for themselves being they weren't the favored child.

• Love 3

I've been looking of Book of Henry reviews just because I was curious as to whether Maddie could act and how her first foray into movies went. Especially since I remembered how wooden she was on that one Disney show. The movie is getting hammered for how bad and laughable it is, but of course none of that is directed at Maddie.  Also from the reviews I've read, I've gathered Maddie, although a very central character, doesn't have much of a speaking part besides one word answers and looking sullen all the time.  Whether that was by design or due to her not so experienced acting chops I don't know.  It does sound like she gets one big dance scene where of course she comes off well, but while much of the movie is about her character, she's not really given much to do besides look sad.

While Book of Henry is most certainly the most legitimate project from a Dance Moms alum and Maddie is not going to get blamed for this mess, I'm not sure it's going to do as much for her career as they were hoping.  It really is getting lambasted to the point that people are questioning whether the director is going to lose his upcoming Star Wars gig.  It might eventually be a cult fave though in one of those it's so bad it's good kind of ways.

• Love 2

I'm interested in seeing what this Rosenfield is going to be about - Christi gets to see Melissa again!!! Seems to be about dance.

The Book of Henry appears to be like a Lifetime movie from what little I've seen. Not my cup of tea as it looks like it seals with sexual abuse of a minor.

6 hours ago, tessat said:

I'm interested in seeing what this Rosenfield is going to be about - Christi gets to see Melissa again!!! Seems to be about dance.

The Book of Henry appears to be like a Lifetime movie from what little I've seen. Not my cup of tea as it looks like it seals with sexual abuse of a minor.

My understanding is it's half thriller, half tearjerker.  It does deal with sexual abuse of a minor (Maddie's character) but they don't show anything.  I think they just show the main characters reacting to whatever they see, but Maddie wasn't put in any uncomfortable situations herself.  It seems to be the tone of the movie that is fairly offputting.  I don't think it even debuted in the Top 10, though it was on limited screens.

The reviews I read were not at all good. As I said - it's seems more like a Lifetime movie of the week rather than a film people would pay money to go see - but it may be that it's just not my type of picture.

Mackenzie Ziegler is Being Sued, Producer Says She Bailed On Music Deal

Former "Dance Moms" star Mackenzie Ziegler is two-timing a music producer by bailing on performances and record sessions, and working with another producer on the side ... according to a lawsuit.

Kismet Music is going after 13-year-old Mackenzie and her mom, Melissa Gisoni ... saying they breached their 2014 deal.

In the docs, Kismet says when it signed Mackenzie -- who has more than a million YouTube followers -- she agreed to "deliver technically and commercially satisfactory records." In exchange, Kismet would try to secure a recording contract and distribution deal for her.

The producers say Mackenzie and her mom didn't seem to have any issues with the contract when they were cashing checks associated with music released under the deal -- but in 2016 something changed. According to the suit, Mackenzie started skipping recording sessions and meetings -- and when Kismet tried to contact her, at least 14 times ... radio silence.

Maddie Ziegler's kid sister is also working with another producer, a clear violation of her exclusivity deal with Kismet ... according to the suit.

Kismet is suing for 15% of Mackenzie's net profits under the deal.

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, tessat said:

I guess I feel the same! To this day, I give the "side-eye" to Ted Danson simply for playing the lecherous father in "Something About Amelia!" In 1984, nothing was shown since it was a TV movie, but the subject matter even hinted about was scandalous! Those beady-eyes of Danson make it easy to remember him in the role after all these years! Still gives me the creeps and I haven't seen the film since the premiere! I guess I won't be watching "BOH!"

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
Spoiler

Was wondering what the Ziegler girls were up to and decided to see about Sia's Sister movie with Maddie. This was discussed in 2015 - did anything come of it??

Also saw that Maddie was promoting MacKenzie and Johnny Orlando's latest video - Closer by the Chainsmokers - they actually have started to tour

This must have done so well that they now have another summer tour:

I'm wondering when the 15 minutes of fame is going to be over? Mac isn't the little cutey she was before - she's looking more and more like her dad.

• Love 1

You did just fine! Despite everything - I do feel sorry for her as those women chose to keep their daughters at the studio. More than one kissed butt and often did more. Those kids would not be known if not for being on the show with Abby. All of them could have been replaced with another crazy mom with a daughter who danced at any time - as long as Abby was still there teaching, yelling acting outlandish - people would have continued to watch the show. They do owe her something!

• Love 5

In the end, I do feel sorry for the way they treated Abby.  At one time you could see that Abby really loved those girls.

They would not have what they have if not for Abby and the show.  The mothers chose to stay there and deal with Abby. 

That clip makes me dislike Kiara more than I thought possible and Holly, get off your damn high horse.  You chose this, you stayed, suck it up buttercup.  

None of them would be known or have the money they have if not for Abby.  Abby will be paying for her misdeeds.  If I was the mother's, I'd be very careful as we all know that karma has a way of biting you in the ass and making you pay (see Abby).

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, tessat said:

I do feel sorry for her as those women chose to keep their daughters at the studio. More than one kissed butt and often did more. Those kids would not be known if not for being on the show with Abby

11 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

In the end, I do feel sorry for the way they treated Abby.  At one time you could see that Abby really loved those girls.

I disagree with these takes.  Abby is a grifter who inherited the dance studio from her mother, and then used it as a cash cow (no pun intended), then hid money.

She started out peddling a show that over-sexualized pre-pubescent girls (when Lifetime was trying to cash in on the TLC "Toddlers and Tiaras" bandwagon).  When she pushed the envelope too far, she decided she'd keep the show on the air by treating the mothers like shit.  And she'd also treat the girls (who were not named "Maddie") like shit if the mother's pushed back.  

I think the show maintained it's popularity due to the following that the girls developed, not based on people liking Abby.  

I do think the original mothers went through a bit of a frog-in-the-slowly-boiling-pot syndrome in terms of what they'd put up with.  

But I'll agree that by the latter years, the new mothers who came in knew exactly what they were getting themselves and their daughters into.

Personally, I hope that Abby has a very very hard time in jail.  Because she deserves it. 

• Love 7