Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I don't think Melissa is that smart. Melissa's game was really to get Maddie stardom - Mac was an after thought. I think Abby tried to get on the Mac train with the singing when she became the right age - but I think that Mac's personality was different at the time. She was shy and used to Maddie having all the attention. She was stuck in the group at a young age and had a hard time keeping up sometimes which I'm sure didn't boost her confidence. I always liked Mackenzie and felt so bad for her being in the background. Kelly's attention was on both her girls - but we didn't see that with Melissa.

After Mac had her appearance on that Nickelodeon show - I thought for sure we'd be hearing about a new show for her but we didn't. I think Mac will be an internet star for a couple of more years and then it will die off - it might have died off already except that she's Maddie's sister and people watch her to see if she dishes the dirt on Maddie. She's also friends with Orlando ect and fans per se follow as a group as they are always interacting in their videos.

She has no vinyl records - only digital - and you don't hear any of her songs on the radio.

16 hours ago, tessat said:

I don't think Melissa is that smart. Melissa's game was really to get Maddie stardom - Mac was an after thought. I think Abby tried to get on the Mac train with the singing when she became the right age - but I think that Mac's personality was different at the time. She was shy and used to Maddie having all the attention. She was stuck in the group at a young age and had a hard time keeping up sometimes which I'm sure didn't boost her confidence. I always liked Mackenzie and felt so bad for her being in the background. Kelly's attention was on both her girls - but we didn't see that with Melissa.

After Mac had her appearance on that Nickelodeon show - I thought for sure we'd be hearing about a new show for her but we didn't. I think Mac will be an internet star for a couple of more years and then it will die off - it might have died off already except that she's Maddie's sister and people watch her to see if she dishes the dirt on Maddie. She's also friends with Orlando ect and fans per se follow as a group as they are always interacting in their videos.

She has no vinyl records - only digital - and you don't hear any of her songs on the radio.

Exactly. Melissa never shot for the long game. If Mackenzie is lucky she'll be internet famous until college and then go about her life. 

18 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Exactly. Melissa never shot for the long game. If Mackenzie is lucky she'll be internet famous until college and then go about her life. 

Kids like JoJo are marketed and it has nothing to do with talent or their mothers.  The mothers don't call the shots. They aren't important.  Someone with money and power saw JoJo's potential to make him/her a lot of money.  Jojo had the personality,  work ethic and marketability.  Nobody did the same for MacKenzie. 

Maddie, on the other hand, was chosen for talent and potential for long term success.  If mother's actually had any power or decision making in these situations, we would have seen Kalani and the rest of them signed with William Morris or one of the other top agencies in Hollywood.  

I was wondering, does JoJo have any siblings?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Kids like JoJo are marketed and it has nothing to do with talent or their mothers.  The mothers don't call the shots. They aren't important.  Someone with money and power saw JoJo's potential to make him/her a lot of money.  Jojo had the personality,  work ethic and marketability.  Nobody did the same for MacKenzie. 

Maddie, on the other hand, was chosen for talent and potential for long term success.  If mother's actually had any power or decision making in these situations, we would have seen Kalani and the rest of them signed with William Morris or one of the other top agencies in Hollywood.  

I was wondering, does JoJo have any siblings?

Yes and no. Melissa had the control who Mackenzie met with and saw. Maddie got lucky that Sia saw her on an episode of Dance Moms and the talent agencies came after the video. I don't think Maddie would be signed with a major talent agency if she never did Sia's video. I don't think the same could be said about Jojo. And no, she's an only child. 

3 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Yes and no. Melissa had the control who Mackenzie met with and saw. Maddie got lucky that Sia saw her on an episode of Dance Moms and the talent agencies came after the video. I don't think Maddie would be signed with a major talent agency if she never did Sia's video. I don't think the same could be said about Jojo. And no, she's an only child. 

Maddie absolutely would be where she is without sia. I know a lot of adults watching the show didn’t like her, which I could never understand because she’s a child, but her talent and it factor set her apart from day one. I don’t know if people try to trivialize Maddie’s accomplishments by saying it’s all about sia, but her success is no fluke.  

I’m glad Jojo is an only child because the mother couldn’t possibly have time for another child. It’s not surprising how well jojo is doing either. Who ever is in charge of her knows what they are doing. 

• Love 3

Jojo has an older brother.

I don't think Jojo would be getting as far as she is if not for her personality. The kids are all watching her on youtube for something, and the videos aren't particularly polished so I imagine she is doing much of it herself. I do credit the whole persona to Jess to a degree, whom had her doing these circus-y dances when she was on the competition circuit and of course, made all those bows. 

Really Jojo's management just needed to pump some money into what was already there. She's almost akin to a children's performer, like the kind you'd see on Nick Jr, when compared to Mackenzie who's been presented as this teen poptart for years now.

• Love 1

I disagree about Maddie. Do I think she could have found success over time? I do, because you could see she was driven and didn't complain. But I don't think she would be doing anything big budget without Sia, yet. I don't hate Maddie; I never understood what the big deal was because her dancing drove me nuts (bad technique that was continually ignored) but a lot of her overnight success came because of those music videos. She absolutely branches from that recognition and then was signed to a major talent agency. That can't be ignored or overlooked. 

As for Jojo, I totally forgot she had a brother. And yes, Jojo had a wildly successful YouTube channel even before Nickelodeon scooped her up. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I disagree about Maddie. Do I think she could have found success over time? I do, because you could see she was driven and didn't complain. But I don't think she would be doing anything big budget without Sia, yet. I don't hate Maddie; I never understood what the big deal was because her dancing drove me nuts (bad technique that was continually ignored) but a lot of her overnight success came because of those music videos. She absolutely branches from that recognition and then was signed to a major talent agency. That can't be ignored or overlooked. 

As for Jojo, I totally forgot she had a brother. And yes, Jojo had a wildly successful YouTube channel even before Nickelodeon scooped her up. 

They all had bad technique, they were competition dancers. Competition dancers aren’t known for great technique. They are taught how to twirl early on and land on a dime. They are taught how to lift their leg to their ear. Maddie wasn’t good at that. Instead she had charisma, your eyes were drawn to her, she was a performer, she stood out. It’s like a singer who isn’t the best trained but they are performers. There are better singers than Beyoncé but not too many with star quality.

The ones with the it factor will make it. Jojo has it. Brynn doesn’t have it. Maddie has it. Kalani doesn’t have it. MacKenzie might do well with tweens but I don’t think she could work into adulthood. Jojo and maddie just might. 

LOL, I knew this dumb Irreplaceable tour was gonna flop.  Apparently, barely anyone turned up to the irreplaceable tour last night and it was like $300 dollars to just get a picture with the girls. Again with the "unforeseen circumstances“ aka couldn’t sell enough tickets to pay for the venue and didn’t want to have a concert with like 2 people so decided to cancel.  The tours set for December 5th, 6th, 7th, and 11th were cancelled.

Irreplaceables Tour Pricing:

$35 General Admission

$150 Admission + Meet n Greet

$150 Admission + Dance Workshop

$250 Admission + Dance Workshop + Meet n Greet

Who do these people think they are to charge that much to meet them? Or most especially to be taught by them? Their fans are little girls

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, BarbieMermaidia said:

Irreplaceables Tour Pricing:

$35 General Admission

$150 Admission + Meet n Greet

$150 Admission + Dance Workshop

$250 Admission + Dance Workshop + Meet n Greet

Who do these people think they are to charge that much to meet them? Or most especially to be taught by them? Their fans are little girls

It is ridiculous, but it may have been the prices they needed to profit once they factor in the cost to the theater and their travel costs and all that. Which is why it was kind of a dumb idea to do a tour. I'm surprised they wouldn't have been able to predict it further in advance and offer fewer nights to try and maximize guests. Or have a smaller venue.

I do feel a little bad for the girls if this is them having a realization that they aren't the big stars they thought. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

It is ridiculous, but it may have been the prices they needed to profit once they factor in the cost to the theater and their travel costs and all that. Which is why it was kind of a dumb idea to do a tour. I'm surprised they wouldn't have been able to predict it further in advance and offer fewer nights to try and maximize guests. Or have a smaller venue.

I do feel a little bad for the girls if this is them having a realization that they aren't the big stars they thought. 

Not to mention that it's Christmas, most of these are on school nights and families are busy this time of year---holiday parties, school parties, friends parties, the Christmas concerts and performances...etc. I think they were trying to stay relevant, but it's bombing and I'm not surprised. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

You'd think if those were the prices they needed to profit, common sense would've told them it was a poor strategic decision to even embark on such a tour. But plenty of bands seem to profit by renting the same venues and charging between $20 and $40, so knowing these women, I'd have to assume it's just greed. And part of the "perk" of buying meet n greet passes is getting first dibs at their merch; plenty to be made there as well. Perhaps back in the DM heyday a few years ago they could be raking all that in, but now? Anyone who wants to see them likely already has. I agree they should've been more selective about the number of nights or way downscaled the event. It sounds way too extravagant for four, never mind three, teenage girls to give dance lessons. 

Edited by BarbieMermaidia

Well, I assume someone took the fall for the tour failure, the tour sponsor goldenvoice presents maybe?  I can't imagine the mother's would have been so dumb to self book. 

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 1

From what I can see on IMDBPro, it looks like Kalani, Mackenzie, and Maddie are signed with William Morris (WME) which from what I know isn't easy! I also saw that Nia, Lilly, Chloe, Asia, Brynn, Jojo, and Kendall all look to be represented by someone as well.

14 hours ago, Paria said:

From what I can see on IMDBPro, it looks like Kalani, Mackenzie, and Maddie are signed with William Morris (WME) which from what I know isn't easy! I also saw that Nia, Lilly, Chloe, Asia, Brynn, Jojo, and Kendall all look to be represented by someone as well.

Good for Kalani getting signed at William Morris.  Nia, Brynn, Kendall and Chloe need to all go home and get an education.  Lilly's so young, I hope her mother doesn't turn out to be a horrible stage mom.  

• Love 1

Seems Kalani has done more than we know about - she was on an Episode of Shake it up back in 2011 as a dancer in a group, is in a movie called Swiped about computer nerds coming out in 2018 as well as being in Breaking Brooklyn as a contemporary dancer.

Both of which I'd like to see.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, holly4755 said:

Well, I assume someone took the fall for the tour failure, the tour sponsor goldenvoice presents maybe?  I can't imagine the mother's would have been so dumb to self book. 

I'd say dumb and delusional! They really think their kids are stars in their own right! Nothing's more disturbing than the self-absorption of a Dance Mom I guess! The "also rans" of the group definitely should go home and get an education because they aren't going to be signed by any responsible agency! Maddie, Kenz, & Kalani were the only ones worth dealing with IMO! Nia might have a better chance with acting; "forget the dancin' girl!" ;-)

On 11/7/2017 at 11:42 PM, Loves2Dance said:

My girls both know who Jojo is, asks for her bows and my older (she's 9) even showed me her doll at Target the other day. She doesn't know Dance Moms (I never let her watch) but she knows her from YT. Girl is definitely making money. 

I have never watched Dance Moms but am here because I finally googled Jojo. My 6-year-old daughter has been watching her Youtube vids and begging for her hairbows. Her friends in school are also wearing them. I hope she never finds out about the doll. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Absolom said:

A clip on ET said Abby will be released Feb 20 to a halfway house in Van Nuys for an as yet unannounced period of time and that she's lost 100 pounds while in prison.

It hasn't been a whole year yet, has it? I know she went in before the show finished airing, but I didn't think it was that long at all.

Didn't she go in sometime in July?  I'm guessing there is time off for good behavior and part of the sentence will be served in the halfway house.  So about 7 months in actual prison for a 12 month sentence?

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, Absolom said:

Didn't she go in sometime in July?  I'm guessing there is time off for good behavior and part of the sentence will be served in the halfway house.  So about 7 months in actual prison for a 12 month sentence?

Abby Lee Miller Will Serve Only Half Her Prison Sentence & Is Planning Post-Prison Plastic Surgery
Read more at http://www.realitytea.com/2018/01/21/abby-lee-miller-will-serve-half-prison-sentence-planning-post-prison-plastic-surgery/#ieLIiGY778UXJ6DW.99

- http://www.realitytea.com/2018/01/21/abby-lee-miller-will-serve-half-prison-sentence-planning-post-prison-plastic-surgery/ -

The former Dance Moms star was sentenced to one year and one day in prison for bankruptcy fraud, but will be released on February 20th following only six months of incarceration. Abby has been in a California women’s penitentiary, and upon release will transition to a halfway house in Van Nuys for the unknown duration. 

Deadline learned that Abby’s early release was contingent upon good behavior.

Great interview - TY for posting this! I have to say that the maturity of all the girls that were on Dance Moms is great. They've all kept positive attitudes and are pretty much still down to earth.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:53 AM, tessat said:

Great interview - TY for posting this! I have to say that the maturity of all the girls that were on Dance Moms is great. They've all kept positive attitudes and are pretty much still down to earth.

Too bad you can't say the same about the MOMs! Even Holly lost her halo by the 5th season! Watching the repeats, the mothers were never satisfied, causing a lot of the drama that hurt their own kids! ;-)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tessat said:

Totally agree! The moms all ended up being villains at some point and many times the complaining wasn't even warranted.

They weren't even consistent in their kvetchin'! One day Abby has all this power to tell casting directors & producers they "must hire Maddie and no one else," then the next "she's past it" and should get out of the business! It was so irrational! Why couldn't they see Maddie just worked harder and earned her bones; nothing was given to her! Every instructor has a favorite, and it usually means they earned it thru hard work and dedication! Kelly would take her kids out for weeks at a time to do other things like modeling and singing, but expect a spot to be reserved for them upon their return! That doesn't make any fk'n sense to anyone! That was probably why the judge threw Kelly's countersuit out against Abby! All she got was LT to replace her hardwood floor since supposedly they scratched them up with cameras and light tripods! She's so FOS; should really burn later! She's an ingrate since more than likely she was paid extra to use her home! Notice you never hear too much about any of them! The only one who can't live without the limelight is Christi who's constantly pimping her daughter out and making her a national victim of Abby's! They hated her so much, but if you listen to both of them, Abby's name tripped out of their twisted mouths every opportunity possible! "Cry me a river!" ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1

I'll disagree as I do think Maddie was definitely favored over the other girls. I do believe she's a lovely dancer and worked hard - but Abby was pulling strings just like she did with MacKenzie. The other moms and girls actually had to make their own contacts. I still hear things about Chloe, Asia is well liked overseas and Jojo is worth more than all of them and will end up being the bigger star. It's how hard they work now to continue to be in the spotlight and get jobs.

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, tessat said:

I'll disagree as I do think Maddie was definitely favored over the other girls. I do believe she's a lovely dancer and worked hard - but Abby was pulling strings just like she did with MacKenzie. The other moms and girls actually had to make their own contacts. I still hear things about Chloe, Asia is well liked overseas and Jojo is worth more than all of them and will end up being the bigger star. It's how hard they work now to continue to be in the spotlight and get jobs.

With no real power outside of her studio, of course Maddie and MacKenzie were favored! Why should Abby do any of the other moms any favors with their "mean girl" acts, hazing and harassing other moms who dared try to join them, and insulting Abby personally, calling her fat among other things! I think they were lucky to hang on as long as they did with their kids! It's not like Abby didn't warn them early on; "you mess with my business and I'll start messing with your kid!" These women obviously didn't care how their kids would be treated when out of control using profanity, going on rants, and being very demanding! It was like "cry me a river" when they acted out! It was awful, but if the moms didn't care, why should I? ;-)

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, WildFlower87 said:

Ex-'Dance Moms' Star Maddie Ziegler's Cell Phone Hacked, LAPD Cops Investigating

http://www.tmz.com/2018/02/08/ex-dance-moms-star-maddie-ziegler-cell-phone-hacked/

When they find people that do this sort of thing, I so hope the full weight of the law falls on them! It's just malicious and they need to pay a huge price! This isn't just some gag; it can be quite frightening and disturbing to people who feel victimized! ;-(

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, Absolom said:

Abby didn't get released from prison when she/her friends/news media expected her to be.

It's a budgetary matter I heard! Her halfway house situation is being underfunded and they can't release her until that's resolved! It shouldn't matter since her offense was violent! Let her go home and wear an ankle-bracelet! Silly! ;-)

6 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

It's a budgetary matter I heard! Her halfway house situation is being underfunded and they can't release her until that's resolved! It shouldn't matter since her offense was violent! Let her go home and wear an ankle-bracelet! Silly! ;-)

Aren't halfway houses generally to help prisoners ease back into life on the outside, and have a place to stay while they find a job and are able to pay for their own place again? I think Abby still owns her own house and bank account, so why does she need a halfway house? Maybe I am missing something.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Aren't halfway houses generally to help prisoners ease back into life on the outside, and have a place to stay while they find a job and are able to pay for their own place again? I think Abby still owns her own house and bank account, so why does she need a halfway house? Maybe I am missing something.

Everyone goes thru the same hurdles upon early release; even Pete Rose way back when! Martha Stewart probably had to do it; just never paid that much attention to her plight! I was so PO'd! With all her money, she's willing to throw it all away for $45,000 stock thing and lied about it to the Feds! She should have been given extra time! Stupid! ;-(

Edited by Fiero425

If Abby still has a house it's one in Pennsylvania.  There at the end before prison she was either traveling or "camping out" at the dance studio.  She's being released in California and would have to petition to go to home detention in Pennsylvania (if she still has a home there) and agree to pay to be transported there by guards more than likely.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, Absolom said:

If Abby still has a house it's one in Pennsylvania.  There at the end before prison she was either traveling or "camping out" at the dance studio.  She's being released in California and would have to petition to go to home detention in Pennsylvania (if she still has a home there) and agree to pay to be transported there by guards more than likely.

She probably didn't want to buy or rent out in California since she owned 2 homes; one in PA and the other in FLA! Remember, that's what got Abby in trouble; being cheap and hoarding money! ;-)

Dance Moms' Abby Lee Miller Is Getting Out of Jail Early by Elyse Dupre | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018 1:21 PM (E! Ent.)

- http://www.eonline.com/news/921023/dance-moms-abby-lee-miller-is-getting-out-of-jail-early?cmpid=emn-031518-enewsletter-button-featured-1 -

Abby Lee Miller won't be behind bars for long. While the Dance Moms star was scheduled to be released June 21, she's now set to leave May 25. The 52-year-old reality star was sentenced to one year in prison in May 2017. She began her sentence at FCI Victorville prison in July of that year.

The dance instructor was indicted in 2015 for bankruptcy fraud and concealment of bankruptcy assets. Miller gave fans a peek of her life behind bars in January when she shared a photo to Instagram.

"Sometimes in life you make mistakes," she wrote at the time. "I trusted the wrong people and didn't pay any attention to things I should of. I'm more than sorry for the mistakes I have made. My world flipped upside down when I had to enter prison. I did so with grace."

She also addressed rumors of an early release at the time and claimed she was "feeling hopeful."

While in prison, Miller passed a real estate class and got a personal finance class diploma. "Feeling extremely positive!" she wrote alongside an Instagram photo of her certificate back in December. Still, Miller's life wasn't easy this past year.

"I'm surviving because the fire inside me burns brighter than the fire around me," Miller wrote on Instagram in February.

Fans will have to wait and see what's next for Miller, but the dance instructor suggested a return to TV could be possible.

"Someone's already called me to be there to start saying shoot. We're ready with cameras. We're ready to go," Miller told E! News' Jason Kennedy in May 2017. "I think I'll be ready to go. If worse comes to worse, I'm a good teacher. I'm good at what I do. I have an eye for detail. I can take a beginner kid that has never danced in their lives and I can teach them something or I can take a really advanced dancer and I can make them into a professional." ;-)

1 hour ago, Cupcake04 said:

Wow she has lost a ton of weight!  U can really tell in her face.  Hope she keeps it off.

Hopefully she's getting ready to reboot "Dance Moms!" Only she can do it justice! Love this show! ;-)

• Love 1

Or is it non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?  Poor woman.  She may be a real jerk, but no one deserves that.

N/M One is just a sub-type of non-Hodgkin's. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4

They said Burkitts (a form of non hodgkins).

It caught my eye because we had a relative that died of it after it metastisized to her brain. She had, ironically, worked in Africa with Dr Burkitt in the 1950's.

• Love 2

Dance Moms Star Nia Sioux Joins The Bold and the Beautiful as Series Regular

EW has learned exclusively that Nia Sioux is joining the cast of The Bold and the Beautiful. She will play Emma, an intern at Forrest Creations. After guesting on the show for a brief story arc, executive producer and head writer Bradley Bell offered her a contract as a series a regular.

Sioux’s first episode will air April 23

Edited by WildFlower87
  • Love 5