Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

When Brian says we're going to "slip in a break here" ... "you'll hardly notice it".  I keep thinking he's sliding in a double entendre.  Am I alone here???  LOL

Geez, I find him weird. Just say what the others say, "We're going to take a quick break--don't go away".

• Love 4

I see where Alyson Camerota (CNN) will be not be on the 6-9am slot anymore; per her request.  She will be given a new show/timeslot.  I sure wish MSNBC had been able to "get" her.  She can have a "snarky" sense of humor and I think would be wonderful paired up with Brian Williams.  I sure wish there were a couple of new faces on MSNBC.  Maybe there are and I am just not seeing/remembering them.  I find some of their programming/shows kind of tired at this point.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, Medicine Crow said:

When Brian says we're going to "slip in a break here" ... "you'll hardly notice it".  I keep thinking he's sliding in a double entendre.  Am I alone here???  LOL

What happened to the 11th Hour on Wednesday?  There was a woman providing unimportant updates at the opening, and now Lawrence O’Donnell is talking about virus variants. 

Did the WiFi break down in Brian’s basement?  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 2
45 minutes ago, freddi said:

What happened to the 11th Hour on Monday?  There was a woman providing unimportant updates at the opening, and now Lawrence O’Donnell is talking about virus variants. 

Did the WiFi break down in Brian’s basement?  

It's Wednesday & it looks like they had "issues" with Lawrence filling in until they were resolved.  (I wasn't pleased that Brian said "there would be a little extra in Lawrence's pay check this week"  ... tacky, very tacky!!!)  Brian regained control about 20 minutes, or so, into the broadcast.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

It's Wednesday & it looks like they had "issues" with Lawrence filling in until they were resolved.  (I wasn't pleased that Brian said "there would be a little extra in Lawrence's pay check this week"  ... tacky, very tacky!!!)  Brian regained control about 20 minutes, or so, into the broadcast.

Oh, yeah, it’s *Wednesday*! Thanks!  Yes, it looked like they clawed their way back on air finally.  Honestly, it’s amazing they don’t have technical issues like this more often.  

• Love 3

I read where they are tinkering with the weekend shows a bit.  I sure do wish they would sit down and evaluate the weekly programming and see what may need changed/freshened up.

On a different, shallow note.  I would love to have the name of Andrea Mitchell's cosmetic person/plastic surgeon because she looks terrific.  Or her camera person.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I read where they are tinkering with the weekend shows a bit.  I sure do wish they would sit down and evaluate the weekly programming and see what may need changed/freshened up..

They better not touch Deadline:White House. The guests on that show (other than Deutch & the Rev) are excellent sources of the latest news. I rarely watch the other show so I don't know which ones need freshening.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They better not touch Deadline:White House. The guests on that show (other than Deutch & the Rev) are excellent sources of the latest news. I rarely watch the other show so I don't know which ones need freshening.

Agree on all counts.  Don't know what Nicolle sees in those two.  But given that they just recently "promoted" Chuck Todd by pushing him aside and giving his hour to Nicolle, she's probably safe.

• Love 5

I think Ali Velshi (love love love him) maybe requested the weekend slot?  Didn't he get a teaching job at a college part-time?  I could be mis-remembering.

Nicole has probably the best show on the network right now; and maybe unpopular opinion, but I think Brian Williams is a close second.  He makes it all look effortless, plus there is the snark that he slips in.  Some nights I watch him instead of The Daily Show, depending on his guests. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I like the Rev but Deutch is a gasbag in ugly glasses.

Does anyone know why Ali Velshi was moved to the weekends?

"...a gasbag in ugly glasses". I love this very apt description of Donny. The frames get weirder & weirder. 

Ali got a teaching position at some college in PA. He was filling in for Rachel again last night--hope everything's ok in her life.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's not unusual for Rachel to take Friday off.

But I thought I saw him earlier this past week subbing for her, so last night I was surprised to see him again. Oh well...after all these talk show hosts have been through, they probably need more nights off.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Kemper said:

I think Ali Velshi (love love love him) maybe requested the weekend slot?  Didn't he get a teaching job at a college part-time?  I could be mis-remembering.

Nicole has probably the best show on the network right now; and maybe unpopular opinion, but I think Brian Williams is a close second.  He makes it all look effortless, plus there is the snark that he slips in.  Some nights I watch him instead of The Daily Show, depending on his guests. 

Totally agree with your post!!  I watch Brian before going to bed & he's usually good for a couple of chuckles, if not a belly laugh.  I love his snark & snide.

• Love 8

MSNBC won the impeachment trial.

MSNBC was the #1 network across all of cable during the entirety of the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump (2/9/21-2/13/21), according to Nielsen. Viewers turned to MSNBC in large numbers for special coverage and analysis with 2.4M total viewers tuning in for the entirety of the trial (6am-2am Tues-Sat), easily topping FOX News (1.6M) and CNN (2M) in total viewers. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

During the hand-over, Lawrence said The Eleventh Hour (with Brian Williams) was the #1 show!!!  So there!!!

I didn't see that but someone's got their info wrong. Rachel Maddow talked about her ratings at the beginning of her show to thank all her viewers as her show was the most watched show on cable for both January and February...not just the most watched cable news show, the most watched cable show period, which is an astounding achievement. During the handover to Lawrence O'Donnell, he thanked her because her ratings carried over to his show and gave him #2 ratings, so I don't know how anyone can claim that Brian Williams was the #1 show. Maybe they were talking about MSNBC being the #1 rated network?

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

During the hand-over, Lawrence said The Eleventh Hour (with Brian Williams) was the #1 show!!!  So there!!!

Brian said The 11th Hour was the number one cable news show in his time slot, I believe.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Brian said The 11th Hour was the number one cable news show in his time slot, I believe.

Oops, thanks, evidently I misunderstood.  Sorry!!!  (I'm just so excited when it looks like Brian is doing well.)

• Love 3
On 2/27/2021 at 8:54 AM, Kemper said:

I think Ali Velshi (love love love him) maybe requested the weekend slot? 

I like Ali Velshi as well, along with Nicole Wallace and a few others.  I also liked David Gura and hated to see him leave the network.

Jonathan Capehart is doing a great job on Sunday with his show.  I especially like how he will ask each panel member individually about their opinion on the same topic.  He also seems to vary the topics so they are not the same cookie cutter topics as on other shows.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2021 at 11:08 AM, madfortv said:

Jonathan Capehart is doing a great job on Sunday with his show.  I especially like how he will ask each panel member individually about their opinion on the same topic.  He also seems to vary the topics so they are not the same cookie cutter topics as on other shows.

I will tune in--sounds interesting. I remember John McLaughlin doing much the same thing on The McLaughlin Report, but he did it more in "lightning round" fashion. And then Larry Wilmore on The Nightly Show did a version of it.

• Love 1

I don't watch Joy Reid very often and not always the whole show. 

On Monday I watched and she has a Worst Person of the Day segment. I'm thinking,  you stole that from Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World. 

Which wouldn't bother me except that you're on MSNBC. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, tres bien said:

On Monday I watched and she has a Worst Person of the Day segment. I'm thinking,  you stole that from Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World. 

Thank you...I have thought the same thing; has she given him any credit?  Someone at the network should have her acknowledge Olbermann for the bit.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

On Monday I watched and she has a Worst Person of the Day segment. I'm thinking,  you stole that from Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World. 

That was back in the early days, when "Keithie" was hilarious.  We watched him every night and loved him. That was such a funny segment cause he'd holler, "Worssssst Person in the Woooorrrlllldddd".  So yeah...Miss Joy needs to credit Keith.  He could use a few good words said about him these days (I've thought for some time that he has some kind of emotional issues because he changed to an unrecognizable person).  We haven't watched her show as we find her snarky (a lot of folks like snark so she doesn't need us).

• Love 4

Mr. Kemper and I always watched Keith; he was sharp and funny.  For months, he was the only newsperson who criticized the Iraq War; when most were afraid.  He has also imploded on every tv job he has had.

Sadly, Joy Red has made me turn to other programming for the 7:00 hour.  By that time, I am ready to kick back and watch something that isn't too intense.  

Any news on who will fill-in when Katy Tur goes on maternity leave?  She is simply glowing and reeks happiness; but still manages to be one of the best of the many inter-changeable hosts during the daytime hours.

• Love 7

Awww...I miss seeing Katy when she was on later in the afternoon. Good guests, smart host. Here's to a healthy, happy baby for my favorite MSNBC talent. Maybe someday, when her tots are older, Katie will take over Nicholle's time slot. I still grind my teeth over Nicholle's laughs (or even titters when she's discussing serious news). You'd think *someone* would've told her to stop it by this time. 

• Love 3

It's been said that Keith suffered suffered a head injury while leaping onto a New York City Subway train in the early 80's that permanently upset his equilibrium which is why he avoided driving after that. With his escalating behavior over the years that he hasn't been able to hide I wonder if he received a TBI and the symptoms have gotten worse with age mixed in with whatever the other issues he most likely has going on.  Someone who worked at ESPN when he left the first time said Olbermann didn’t just burn bridges at the network, “he napalmed them.”. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

It's been said that Keith suffered suffered a head injury while leaping onto a New York City Subway train in the early 80's that permanently upset his equilibrium which is why he avoided driving after that. With his escalating behavior over the years that he hasn't been able to hide I wonder if he received a TBI and the symptoms have gotten worse with age mixed in with whatever the other issues he most likely has going on.  Someone who worked at ESPN when he left the first time said Olbermann didn’t just burn bridges at the network, “he napalmed them.”. 

Wow! I'd heard about him napalming bridges when he'd leave a company, but didn't know about the injury. People who have these injuries undergo a mega personality change (I've got a stepbrother who became somebody else after a car accident).  Sometimes it's right away and sometimes it takes a while. What a loss of a very bright, funny, creative person...Keithie.

• Love 5

Did anyone watch Nicholle Wallace's special Lives well lived? It was really heartbreaking Elizabeth Warren was emotional when she described her brother's death. Nicholle interviewed Liz Walker who was a newscaster in Boston for decades before becoming a minister.

• Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Geez, I find him weird. Just say what the others say, "We're going to take a quick break--don't go away".

The thing about him that gets on my nerves is the way he says dates - "Six January". We're not in the UK, Brian!!

• Love 2

Mr. Kemper and I always watched Keith; he was sharp and funny.  For months, he was the only newsperson who criticized the Iraq War; when most were afraid.  He has also imploded on every tv job he has had.

it is a shame. Keith was so scathing and on point before he went BSC.

My mother loved him so much, Countdown was mentioned in her obituary as one of her favorite things. I wish MSNBC could get him back, but they'd have to put him on a VERY short leash. 

• Love 5

"The miscreants, losers and riff-raff, the unwashed and the unloved, don't take it completely seriously, we don't mean it completely literally, we just call them today's Worst Persons in the Sports World!"

From one of Keith's several sports shows! I really miss having his point of view on TV. He's a great host, though his inability to play well with others seems to have lost him many a job. I'd never heard about the subway accident, that could indeed be a contributor. Sad. 

• Love 8

I'm only a dedicated watcher of one show. Chris Hayes.  Anything else on MSNBC I pop in and catch a bit here and there.

I don't tune into Nicolle anymore because she makes me dizzy.  She has an annoying head tick that I can't get past. She ought to study herself on tape

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

I don't tune into Nicolle anymore because she makes me dizzy.  She has an annoying head tick that I can't get past. She ought to study herself on tape

Part of what made Nicolle's show great was the fact that almost all the time, she and her guests were in the studio, sitting around the table, conversing.  It's a format that other shows (looking at you, Joe Scarborough!) should have considered.  With COVID, of course, it's a giant Zoom meeting like every other program, and her show loses a lot of its impact that way.  Can't be helped, of course, but still.  Also what sets Nicolle apart is that you almost never hear her speechifying (again staring at you, Mr. Meeka!).  She lets her guests shine.

Now that I can sleep at night without worrying what new monstrosity will come out of the White House, I find myself watching less and less of MSNBC.  Whereas in the past I regularly tuned in to Nicolle, Chris, Rachel and Lawrence, now they have to catch my attention in the first five minutes or I leave, and that includes Rachel's usual 30 minute monologue A-block.  Some days I read what's in the news and realize there's nothing I need or want to hear about any of it from any of them. 

I think the network needs to shake up some of what's there, and not just by juggling their hosts around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Some days I read what's in the news and realize there's nothing I need or want to hear about any of it from any of them. 

I think the network needs to shake up some of what's there, and not just by juggling their hosts around.

I also think a lot of us are worn out after the past 5 years of shocks, insults, meanness, criminality, etc.  It has taken a toll on us and we need a break. Two days ago, I realized it was almost 4:00. Normally I'd have stopped what I was doing and dashed into the tv room to put on Deadline:White House. But I now realize a grown-up is in charge and I can relax, be calm, go about my ordinary biznez.  I do like hearing from certain guests like Jonathan Swan, Jonathan Lemire from AP, John Heilman, Andrew Weissman, Heidi Przbyla, A. B. Stoddard, and the outstanding reporters from the W Post, etc. Ashley Parker is a favorite. I wish Nicholle would "retire" Claire and Donna. But, it's still my favorite show. Just need a mental vacation for a while (2022 is coming up!)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 10

I did not know how much stress and anxiety I was experiencing until BidenHarris were elected.  I sleep better, seem more energetic and don't obsess and worry about what "the other guy" might do that will ruin the rest of my life.  I don't watch as much MSNBC as I did pre-election.  I still like Deadline: Whitehouse and Rachel.  I also love Ali Velshi.  I appreciate that he gets out there and talks to real people who don't have some kind of political agenda.  His coverage of the BLM demonstrations in Minnesota and elsewhere were outstanding plus who else would have spent time on an Indian reservation talking with real native Americans and their problems.  I liked Joy Reed on Saturdays but not so much since she went to the daily format.  I will not watch Chuckie Todd with his little boy haircut-just something about him that rubs me wrong.  Let Stephanie Ruhle have his slot.  And, I cannot stand Craig Melvin's raspy voice-have to change the channel when he comes on.  I agree the weekday programming needs some work.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, etexlady said:

And, I cannot stand Craig Melvin's raspy voice-have to change the channel when he comes on. 

He was an anchor on the local NBC station in DC and I was shocked that he got promoted with that screechy, raspy voice.  He might be a nice guy but I can't stand his voice.

• Love 3

Alex Wagner was back on MSNBC as anchor of "Deadline:  White House" on Monday, and will be filling in *both* hours for Nicolle all week.  I have always liked Wagner (*and* Nicolle), so hope this will be a step back into a position with the network.  I forget the name of the show she had briefly, but I do remember its last episode, where the camera stayed live on the set after they signed off, and Alex said with great relief:  "Holy Shit, we got THROUGH it!!!"  

• Love 3

I like Alex Wagner, too and wish she was back with her own show.  I think she is a co-host on The Circus, John Heilemann’s show on Showtime.  

Apparently the MSNBC lineup will not change; we are past the election with no real shake-up in the M-F programming .  I would love to see a panel-type show like the one they used to have with Toure’, Crystal Ball and a couple of others.  Wasn’t Alex on that?  Something without the usual suspects hosting; focusing on current events. That would have maybe a 2-hour afternoon time slot. Some entertainment, sports, world events...with some politics. But politics not driving the entire time slot.  I, for one, am exhausted by that. And different hosts repeating the same headlines every hour.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 3/13/2021 at 6:52 AM, tres bien said:

Is she doing this to get hair out of her face? This bugs the heck out of me when women on these shows wear hairstyles that fall onto their faces so they have to toss their heads to get it out of their eye. Gloria (on CNN) used to do this a lot but not any more. Alex Wagner is doing it this week. Can't think of the others right now but I find myself watching the hair start falling forward and it's irritating. I wanna yell, "Go get a barrett so I can concentrate on the news!"

• Love 4

I'm watching Alex Wagner right now and that lock of hair is dangling back and forth on the right side of her face and it's driving me crazy.  I wish a production assistant would grab some scissors, run out and cut the damn thing off.  I have to change the channel now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3