Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I believe they said she'd be showing up on MSNBC, but since I then went into a rage blackout, I can't be sure.

Everything I've read definitely included appearances on MSNBC as well as NBC News. I also read that there was a bidding war between NBC and CNN for her services. 🤮

• Sad 1
  • Angry 6
(edited)
18 hours ago, ebk57 said:

OMG, they hired Ronna McDaniel. 

Why???????????????????????????

I wonder if agreeing to make the big bucks NBC is probably paying her she had to agree to stop spreading the big lie and the rest of the BS she's been peddling since 2020.

Maybe this will be last nail in the coffin of the once illustrious Meet the Press 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I wonder if agreeing to make her reported $300,000 she had to agree to stop spreading the big lie and the rest of the BS she's been peddling since 2030

One would hope.

• Like 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

2030?

I noticed that after I posted and edited that and a couple of other things. I got overly outraged by this

I think one of the things that really pisses me off about this hire is it comes on the heels of them dumping Mehdi's show and putting someone on NBC that has easily lied and spread conspiracy theories for over three years 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
23 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I got overly outraged by this

No you didn't. It's righteous anger. This is a bridge too far.

Her first appearance on MSNBC must be an extended A-block where Rachel Maddow grills her on all her Big Lie-backing BS over the past several years. Not that this would be enough. 

This is a despicable hire.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

NBC can get practically anyone in the world to be a guest on Meet the Press. Yet here we are six months into Kristen Welker's stint as host and it's gone from her debut episode with Trump to showcasing Ronna as their new political contributor

Guess inviting the POTUS as guest would be? What too political? Political analysts are a dime a dozen. What are there a shortage of respected ones?

I hope guests across the board reject invitations to appear and boycott MTP

Besides Kristen was fine as a WH reporter but she's a crummy interviewer.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

Guess inviting the POTUS as guest would be? What too political? 

Well, it wasn't MTP, but Jonathan Capehart did a one-on-one with President Biden just after the SOTU.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Well, it wasn't MTP, but Jonathan Capehart did a one-on-one with President Biden just after the SOTU.

Interesting but that's cable not network. But kudos to Jonathan 

• Like 6
(edited)

Slight change of plans due to "internal backlash."   Thank goodness for internal backlash.  MSNBC is spared.  Now they just need to un-hire her from the rest of the network.

Edited by ebk57
  • Like 5
  • Applause 10
  • Love 1

That's the way I see it too. She should be banished from any legitimate news organizations. That not you NBC?

Pay her the money she was promised. Release her from her contract and cut ties with her. Surely that's a small sum to pay to reclaim you're self respect NBC

• Like 2
  • Love 4

After what happened on MTP this morning, somebody's probably getting fired! Whether it's Ronna McDaniel or Chuck Todd remains to be seen. I did not have agreeing with Chuck Todd on this week's bingo card.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

After what happened on MTP this morning, somebody's probably getting fired! Whether it's Ronna McDaniel or Chuck Todd remains to be seen. I did not have agreeing with Chuck Todd on this week's bingo card.

It was very surprising to see Chuck criticize the network so directly. It will be interesting to see if Joe Scarborough was consulted on hiring Ronna McDaniel. Joe considers himself to be the highest-ranking former Republican official at MSNBC.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, oakville said:

It was very surprising to see Chuck criticize the network so directly. It will be interesting to see if Joe Scarborough was consulted on hiring Ronna McDaniel. Joe considers himself to be the highest-ranking former Republican official at MSNBC.

Chuck being the one willing to speak so frankly on air was surprising but good job

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, oakville said:

On this morning's broadcast, Scarborough claims he learned about the hiring when reading it in the press on Friday and was not asked his opinion on the hiring prior to it. Mika said that McDaniel will not be appearing as a guest on Morning Joe.

It will be interesting to hear the comments of all the hosts as the day progresses, plus it's Monday, so it's a Rachel Maddow day. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

There's no way NBC can keep her on.  The vast majority of their own team is vehemently opposed to her and she brings nothing positive to the table that justifies her staying on. 

• Like 7

I'll bet TRMS gets big ratings tonight. Lots of people will tune in to hear Rachel's thoughts on the McDaniel hiring. I hope she gets through those comments quickly and then lays out an important story, as only she can, while all those extra eyes are watching.

As an aside, over on Comedy Central, Monday also means that Jon Stewart hosts The Daily Show tonight at 11 ET.

• Like 6

I wonder if Rachel will even address it. She has in the past tried not to get involved in public with network politics. 

Medhi Hasan, who recently departed MSNBC, is starting a new news network, which he calls Zeteo. I hope he is successful.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Well, THAT was quite a half hour! TRMS

Edited to add: Don't touch that dial! Lawrence O'Donnell has yet to speak.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3

Bravo to all the MSNBC hosts that bravely followed Chuck Todd's lead.

But now what. So what. They can't talk about this everyday. Hopefully NBC's ratings will plunge and they'll dump Ronna. Or they're betting on the election and figuring they'll have an insider 

• Like 4

For all we know, they are enjoying the controversy and think  it makes them seem "cutting edge" and open-minded. Anyone who would make that hire in the first place is a craven bad faith actor or else stupid. We can only hope the ratings teach them a lesson.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Fox News (!) and others are saying Ronna is out

I've been anticipating that. I don't see how NBC News could continue with her after last night's MSNBC excoriation. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

NBC had better hope they structured her contract well - seems like the best case scenario for them is being on the hook for a certain amount of her salary, worst case is she sues them for wrongful termination and wins plenty of damages.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Watching Ari Melber now. NBC News Chairman confirms Ronna McDaniel is out.

Whoever hired her, gave the ok...needs to be fired. What a colossal embarrassment for NBC.

• Like 13

There's another little side story to go with NBC News letting her go: CAA, who represented her in the deal, also dropped her.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/politics-news/nbc-news-ronna-mcdaniel-contributor-1235860170/

“After listening to the legitimate concerns of many of you, I have decided that Ronna McDaniel will not be an NBC News contributor,” NBC News Group chairman Cesar Conde wrote in a memo to staff Tuesday afternoon. “No organization, particularly a newsroom, can succeed unless it is cohesive and aligned. Over the last few days, it has become clear that this appointment undermines that goal.”

Separately, McDaniel has been dropped by CAA, the agency that repped her in the deal with the network, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
56 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

NBC had better hope they structured her contract well - seems like the best case scenario for them is being on the hook for a certain amount of her salary, worst case is she sues them for wrongful termination and wins plenty of damages.

One of the articles I was reading mentioned that McDaniel has retained counsel.

• Useful 1

From Politico:

McDaniel spoke yesterday with Bryan Freedman, renowned lawyer to the estranged cable-news stars, to discuss legal options even beyond recouping the dollar value of her contract.

While no arrangement is final, the person close to McDaniel said, Freedman would be an obvious choice: He represented Megyn Kelly in her own acrimonious parting with NBC, as well as ousted anchors Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson in disputes with their respective former networks.

McDaniel, the person said, is exploring potential defamation and hostile work environment torts after MSNBC’s top talent — momentarily her colleagues — took turns Monday blasting her on air.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

It's so idiotic that NBC hired Ronna considering how toxic her remarks about MSNBC and the hosts in particular have been as RNC chair. 

There are a slew of current and former Republicans that work for MSNBC so finding a legitimate voice on the right wouldn't have been too hard.

I don't know how much she will achieve in suing but NBC will now have to sleep in the bed they made

• Like 10
22 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I don't know how much she will achieve in suing but NBC will now have to sleep in the bed they made

I agree. I don't blame her (although I hate her). NBC asked for this.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
On 3/29/2024 at 6:27 AM, tres bien said:

There are a slew of current and former Republicans that work for MSNBC so finding a legitimate voice on the right wouldn't have been too hard.

Maybe her uncle Mitt could join.  Or Liz Cheney?  They are high profile republicans from the “old guard “.  I felt badly for Kristen on MTP.  Good for Chuck for sticking up for her.  I was shocked, he’s such a company man.

I was listening to a podcast and they said all the networks are trying to hire these “insiders” now ahead of the election coverage being in full swing.  This has also been a disaster for NBC because the “other” network has been having a field day with saying NBC won’t hire ANY republican voices.

Also Ronna was going to be paid a yearly salary of $300k.  It’s a lot, but peanuts to a huge news organization.  They should just pay out her salary and make this all go away as fast as possible.

• Like 4

I rarely watch TV after Deadline: White House but tonight, after watching Washington Week in Review, I switched over to MSNBC and instead of Chris Hayes, there was Jen Psaki hosting her show.  Is this something new? 

• Like 1

Jen said that Chris was off for one day and would be back tomorrow.

Last night I had Joy Reid and Lawrence O'Donnell set to record. But weirdly what recorded was Chris Hayes and the 11th Hour. I don't know what went wrong, because it's a series recording and I didn't change anything. And it worked every day before and again today. 

It looks like Joy's show is available on demand, but I don't see LOD's and I'm bummed.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Jen said that Chris was off for one day and would be back tomorrow.

Last night I had Joy Reid and Lawrence O'Donnell set to record. But weirdly what recorded was Chris Hayes and the 11th Hour. I don't know what went wrong, because it's a series recording and I didn't change anything. And it worked every day before and again today. 

It looks like Joy's show is available on demand, but I don't see LOD's and I'm bummed.  

It looks like full episodes of LOD are on the website, if you don't mind watching on your computer.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It looks like full episodes of LOD are on the website, if you don't mind watching on your computer.

Thanks!!

I wanted to hear him commenting on yesterday's event. Will head over to the site to watch. 

• Like 2

The Weekend. Started off strong, 3 good hosts at a table tossing it around with guests. Took just a few weeks before they settled back into Zoom-mode, where the hosts don't even have to be in-studio for 2 d**n shows a week.

• Like 1

I wanted to give that show a try, but it's too damn early in the morning for me.

I'm already taping Velshi and watching it on delay because I can't take my news that early in the morning. 

I notice they've been moving a lot of the more interesting hosts to the weekend, and shoving them in the early hours, when I'm trying to take a break from the news. 

It's hard for me to believe the more insipid coverage gets better ratings, but maybe it does. I just can't understand why people would prefer  repetitive pablum to actual info. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SG429 said:

The Weekend. Started off strong, 3 good hosts at a table tossing it around with guests. Took just a few weeks before they settled back into Zoom-mode, where the hosts don't even have to be in-studio for 2 d**n shows a week.

Is this the weekend morning show with Alicia, Michael Steele and Simone? So, the hosts aren't even in the studio? I think Alicia lives in Florida. I can't handle the news in the morning so I haven't watched. 

James Carville was a guest on one of the shows yesterday. He's been back home in Looziana long enough to now be totally unintelligible. This is sad because he's funny & I used to love it when he was asked his opinions on politics. He must be embellishing his accent because no one else (being interviewed on TV) from New Orleans speaks that way. I've been to New Orleans and had no problem understanding a wide variety of folks who live & work there. 

• Like 2

MSNBC is a failure on just basic news coverage.

At 7:40 this morning CNN was already reporting on Trump's newly released abortion statement.

When I turned to MSNBC to get Mika and Joe's take they were wrapping up the hour with the usual mundane non news followed up at the top of the hour with the rerun of the first hour 

• Like 1