Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Claire McCaskell was on last night and I can't even remember what she said because I was mesmerized by the food she had in the background. She always has the most decorative fruit/dessert items in her kitchen. 

Claire McCaskell has been 10/10 on Room Rater so often that RR actually has Claire T-shirts available as merch! 😄 She has the best background by far, IMO.

Screenshot_20230920_180607_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Claire did mention on MJ last week she and Palmieri may discuss baking during their podcast. (I always develop such a hankering for chocolate bundt whenever there's one on the stand. Here's more of Claire's cooking, peace sign pajama pants included.)

Whew! I'm on a low carb diet because I'm diabetic, and I'm usually really good at not craving sugar, but Claire McC might be my undoing.

• LOL 4

TIL: Ali Velshi is a SAG-AFTRA member.

He guest hosted The Last Word on Friday night. In a segment on the settlement of the WGA strike and the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike, Ali said that in full disclosure, he was a member of SAG-AFTRA and supported their actions although none of his work for NBC or MSNBC was affected. 

• Like 3

Whoa! Guess who emerged from the crypts?  We didn't recognize him at first...but then his voice gave him away.  Chris Matthews popped up on Deadline White House via Zoom. He's aged (but haven't we all?). Can't remember how many years ago MSNBC ousted him. Just remembered this very second the name of his show: Hardball.  We couldn't think of the name of that show last night (too lazy to google). Must admit that I haven't missed him at all (interrupting his guests all the time, yammering on & on). At the time he went off the air, I think people were wondering if he had early dementia as he was forgetting names, and addressed some of his guests using the wrong names. Very weird.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

Chris Matthews was also on Morning Joe at some point in the last 5,000 hours they've been on air in the last week.  Maybe Monday?  I saw him and was very confused.  And then was confused why I was watching Morning Joe and changed the channel.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Chris M has been popping up on MJ recently; Chris Christie more frequently. MSNBC has more than its share of talking heads….way more. Why on earth they would drag out Chris M is beyond me. And didn’t MJ turn on Christie a few years back? It is rare that the network brings on anyone fresh or new. Same old same old. 

56 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Chris M has been popping up on MJ recently; Chris Christie more frequently. MSNBC has more than its share of talking heads….way more. Why on earth they would drag out Chris M is beyond me. And didn’t MJ turn on Christie a few years back? It is rare that the network brings on anyone fresh or new. Same old same old. 

That's how I feel about all the retired members of Congress, constantly showing up on MSNBC, blathering on & on (especially McCaskill & Jolly). 

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's how I feel about all the retired members of Congress, constantly showing up on MSNBC, blathering on & on (especially McCaskill & Jolly).

Not Claire! She's my favorite.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Former members of the House may be a dime a dozen, but having a former Senator as a regular contributor, especially one who's often willing to be in-studio for group panels, is a big get. I appreciate Claire McCaskill's insight.

• Like 12
On 10/4/2023 at 10:38 AM, Kemper said:

I think MJ has been getting some pressure to feature folks from the other side of the aisle for a long time, but potential guests were allegedly warned against appearing on the show so we only got the odd exception when folks like Kinzinger showed (whose appearances I actually miss).  Now that Christie is pursuing the presidency for himself and he thinks we've all contracted amnesia, he's developed a symbiotic relationship with MJ.

I'll only watch Christie's segments when Mika is not in "France", bc she's the only one who challenges him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Clearly there is no A Team, or Any Team, for big global news anymore. While CNN put out an all-hands call Saturday  and rounded up Woof, Jake, Dana, etc., the regular opinion-based hosts here all struggled to keep up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, SG429 said:

Clearly there is no A Team, or Any Team, for big global news anymore. While CNN put out an all-hands call Saturday  and rounded up Woof, Jake, Dana, etc., the regular opinion-based hosts here all struggled to keep up.

I haven't watched at all this weekend, and sadly, you're right that MSNBC wouldn't have any regular in-studio personalities who would be pros at covering international news like this, but did they not have Richard Engel reporting in? Of the regulars, I think Ali Velshi would be best. He's been strong covering Ukraine.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I haven't watched at all this weekend, and sadly, you're right that MSNBC wouldn't have any regular in-studio personalities who would be pros at covering international news like this, but did they not have Richard Engel reporting in? Of the regulars, I think Ali Velshi would be best. He's been strong covering Ukraine.

Velshi flew to Jordan after appearing in studio yesterday and reported from there today. I'm not sure if he's been able to cross into Israel yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
40 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They used to have Malcolm Nance and some other foreign affairs experts, but they seem to have ditched all of that in favor of covering Wash DC shenanigans full tim nowadays.

I do love Ali Velshi.

I haven't been following Malcolm Nance as, like many, I've stepped back from Twitter, but isn't he still fighting with the Ukrainians?

Ali Velshi's the best. 👏

• Like 3

I just read this afternoon that both CNN and Fox ratings have taken a jump during their  Mideast coverage. MSNBC’s have gone down. I do think that Katy Tur is excellent on this; her interviews with Richard Engel have been great. There is never any bombast with her. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

It's not even been a week and I hope some of these anchors are getting their footing back and getting over their shock. I know it's early days...but still, I've found some surprises. 

I admire anchors and journalists who don't let powerful guests get away with things and run rampant. 

Ali Velshi had been perfect, didn't miss a beat, he's as good as ever.  And you know who I've been amazed by?  Katy Tur.  Tur hasn't been letting ANYONE get away with ANYTHING, she's going hard on everyone;  I always thought she was excellent but but I've been just floored by her this week.  

I've found Rachel and Alex to both do well, as I expected.  

Nicolle is typically snarky and funny, she's one of my favorites normally. Oof though, she was drained of her spark this week.  International news could be out of her wheelhouse, that's fair.  But worse, today she had on a slimy politician who was doing a bad job looking like he was acting out a part, and all I could think was how *cowardly* NW seemed around him.   Absolutely smh.  She got better back in her comfort zone with Lawrence Tribe, on afterwards.

Stephanie Ruhle seems the same.  She's mostly interviewing family of kidnapped Israelis and sharing their stories.

Maybe some are finding their equilibrium and will gear up and do better. I hope so.  In the mean time, I may switch my daily show to Katy's hour.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jenkait said:

Maybe some are finding their equilibrium and will gear up and do better. I hope so.  In the mean time, I may switch my daily show to Katy's hour.

Whenever I put MSNBC on early, I'm reminded once again how sharp a news host Katy is.  I wish she were on during the 4:00-6:00 PM slot but she's got little kids so maybe she wants to get home and see them while they're still up. I'm now taking it easy with international news and switching to local when it gets to be too much for me to handle. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder where Joy Reid is. They extended Ari's show to be 2 hours tonight, and I see they're doing the same tomorrow, too.

Much prefer Ari to her anyday.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

I’m in the minority but I have been very disappointed by Katy.  I normally really like and respect her, but her professionalism hasn’t been maintained lately (my opinion).  Ali and Rachel have been great, per usual.  Has Ayman been on?  I saw him on Katy’s show a few days ago and that’s the last I’ve seen of him.

Edited by mostlylurking
20 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Has Ayman been on?  I saw him on Katy’s show a few days ago and that’s the last I’ve seen of him.

I feel like I've seen him at some point every day since 10/7. He's on with Chris Hayes right now. 

Some articles have been referencing Ayman's "removal" from current programming but I'm just not seeing it. 

• Like 1

There was a whole bunch of breaking news today and I turned on MSNBC for details and saw.... droning on commentary I've already heard over and over again for the past 24 hours on yesterday's news.

I wish they would actually be a news outlet and not just a repetitive commentary circle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Just dropping in to say I'm really enjoying Jose Diaz Balart & Ana Cabrara.  I'm a long-time fan of both & together they're great!!!

I really like Jose.

MSNBC is not my go-to for what's going on around the world. It's more of a political/legal news source (except when sections of the world are on fire, like recently).  

• Like 5

MSNBC could be good at reporting news and having political/legal content. It would cut down on some of the repeated commentary that ends up being worded differently throughout the day. I remember before they decided to take a more political route in regards to content when they'd have pairs of people anchoring throughout the day until the evenings usually. To me things started to take a bit of a downturn after they hired then fired Michael Savage in the early 2000's.

• Like 2

Man, Martin Fletcher just became available to talk to Katy and his phone went off as soon as he joined her. Katy was like, "GO WE'LL CATCH UP LATER". I got a bit of a lump in my throat.

I think MSNBC is doing ok considering the repetitive nature of these kind of things. On a shallow note I am enjoying Katy's hair.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

It's a refreshing change from the long hair extensions some of these women wear. 

Yes and some of them don't wear them well

Ayman was on yesterday (can't remember what show) but talking about the region in general. Born in Egypt he's a wealth of information and totally under used 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

I also agree about the awful hair extensions. Katy's short hair is cute and refreshing. 

Because of the repetition of commentary on MSNBC, we only watched part of MJ in the morning and about half of Deadline WH later in the day on weekdays.  Though that is more than enough time watching TV. Are they combining the Katie Phang and Jonathan Capehart shows on the weekend? I like them together but the show only ran one hour today. They could do 2 hours together, cover more topics and not be so serious all the time. Ali Velshi has started to irritate me with his short almost only one comment from each guest at times.

Read an article about Claire McCaskill. She bakes so the desserts behind her are made by her.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Nicolle looks like an Afghan hound.

image.png.0181a0cf31976810cc85423d5d769076.png

They all do, with their stupid pageant hair styles. Our meteorologist on NBC in DC used to have a beautiful sleek, angled, shoulder-length hair style. Then she "went pageant". At least she doesn't wear sundresses.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They all do, with their stupid pageant hair styles. Our meteorologist on NBC in DC used to have a beautiful sleek, angled, shoulder-length hair style. Then she "went pageant". At least she doesn't wear sundresses.

Do you mean Amelia Draper?  I thought she was so cute with the shorter, sleeker hair.  I don't know why she decided to grow it out so long.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

My only complaint about wardrobe and fashion on MNSBC is that I don't like seeing Neal Katyal's chest hair.

At first I thought, "chest hair?" But you're right. There have been a few occasions when I've noticed it. Not often though, thank goodness!

• Like 1

Thinking of Neal (and his ~shudder~chest hairs), I wonder how many of these news talk show guests get critiques from their friends (and foes)? Andrew finally stopped beginning every sentence with, "Sewwwww" and that's been a mega relief (I know I'm not the only one bothered by this as several friends were imitating him recently, sewwww I wonder if people have done this to his face). And the women? Several have seemed to look more polished: natural looking face lifts, good make-up, new hair styles)...especially the lawyers, like Joyce Vance and the law professor at U Michigan. I know that's what I'd sure do!

• Like 1

I noticed that when Joy Reid switched from AM Joy to The Reid Out, she had a total fashion change. I really miss her AM Joy wardrobe, though.

I am absolutely certain that the women get a lot of shit about what they look like, no matter what they wear or how they style their hair and what make up they do or don't use. 

Maddow said in an interview that she wears what she does because she wants the conversation to be about what she said, not what she looks like. So she let herself be dressed and done up in a way that would be as boring and un-notable as possible.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maddow said in an interview that she wears what she does because she wants the conversation to be about what she said, not what she looks like. So she let herself be dressed and done up in a way that would be as boring and un-notable as possible.  

It may be boring to her but she's right. The focus should be on what she's talking about, not her fashion choices. We don't see the men in anything but dark suits so we're totally focused on the subject matter. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1