Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 10/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, Prairie Rose said:

Who else's teeth grind every time Stephanie Ruhle says, "let's get smarter"??? AAAUGH!!!!

I don’t mind it, but I get this awkward feeling when Chris Jansing covers for her and says it. Because it’s Stephanie’s line and Chris Jansing doesn’t sound like her professional self saying it, she sounds silly.

Come to think of it, has Stephanie stopped saying it lately? I’ve been snickering at “The Chief Twit” because it’s so passive aggressive, she does NOT like him and it’s an insult but she can’t really be called out for it? 

i must say I appreciate SR’s “you know how you fight hate? With love”- type comments. I dunno, I am starved for positivity I think! But it’s nice IMHO.

Edited by jenkait
My emoji didn’t work
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

CNBC has cancelled Shep Smith's news program.  MSNBC is in dire need of real news people.  Please let them find a spot for Shep.  He was totally wasted over there.

I *just* read this at another site and thought the exact same thing!  He was such a breath of fresh air while at Fox. Then he was practically buried at CNBC. Maybe CNN can make better use of his excellent on-air talents. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I *just* read this at another site and thought the exact same thing!  He was such a breath of fresh air while at Fox. Then he was practically buried at CNBC. Maybe CNN can make better use of his excellent on-air talents. 

I thought this too. But honestly I'd be very worried for him . Look what CNN's done to Chris Wallace and Kasie Hunt.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I thought this too. But honestly I'd be very worried for him . Look what CNN's done to Chris Wallace and Kasie Hunt.

Nothing against Stephanie Ruhle, but MSNBC needs a news guy in BriWi's old slot.  The entire weekday lineup and most of the weekend is nothing but punditry, nonstop.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I've been watching Wallace's one-on-one  interviews that are pretty good.  Don't know about Kasie, though. I hear Jake Tapper is going to return to his 4:00 time slot, that the 9 PM is not a good fit for him & his family life (no idea where I read that!!) Does anyone know if this is true?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I did hear Tapper say he was returning to his earlier timeslot. He was talking to either Colbert or Meyers... I think it was Colbert. I don't think he said why, just that it was happening.

MSNBC has tried to take on some of the former FoxNews people, and none of them got any viewers and were cancelled quickly. Greta Van Sustern and Megan what's her name, I think. 

Maddow even tried to boost Greta, and it didn't help. 

Edited by possibilities
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Actually, I'm not surprised.  She seemed nice but I just couldn't listen to her with that high-pitched voice.

LOL I'd rather listen to two hours of Tiffany Cross than two minutes of Symone Sanders 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, tres bien said:

LOL I'd rather listen to two hours of Tiffany Cross than two minutes of Symone Sanders 

I never watched Symone, so I don't know how she sounds.  😅

Actually, the only person I listen to on weekends is Jonathan Capehart.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

My understanding is that Cross's ratings were very good, as were Perry's. If that's the case, it's an editorial decision, period.

No, Cross had bad ratings. But even worse is the Rev. He should be fired too.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

MSNBC has tried to take on some of the former FoxNews people, and none of them got any viewers and were cancelled quickly. Greta Van Sustern and Megan what's her name, I think. 

Neither Greta van Susteren nor Megyn Kelly is a straight-up journalist.  The network needs someone just to present news for an hour a day instead of nonstop political opinions.  IMO.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

From what I've read in a few articles Tiffany's ratings weren't the issue. Apparently execs at MSNBC took offense to comments she's made during appearances on other TV shows. Her most recent appearance on a Comedy Central show seemed to be what made them decide they didn't want her as an employee anymore. She was also a target of Tucker's rants recently for reasons you can probably guess. You can look up what he said online if your curious.

I still miss Melissa Harris Perry's show all these years later. I think some subjects that were discussed by Melissa and Tiffany during their shows may have made white male execs there too antsy at times because a lot of their white male hosts outstayed their welcomes for years like Chris Matthews and Chuck Toad. Toad is still a plague on other NBC related shows though and Chris has been making appearances on MSNBC recently from what's been said in other areas here. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

According to this, The Cross Connection was in fact the highest rated weekend show on MSNBC.

And it did better than Capehart, who has the same timeslot on Sundays.

I don't think it's fair to compare weekend mornings to weekday prime time, so even if her ratings weren't fabulous, they were about as good as it gets on MSNBC.

https://ustvdb.com/networks/msnbc/shows/cross-connection-tiffany-cross/

Rachel still gets about twice what the next most popular show does, btw. The network really ought to be looking for more people with her temperament and skills.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I liked Tiffany Cross's show, too. On Friday nights, Joy Reid usually dedicates the last few minutes of her show to her fun segment, "Who Won the Week". Instead, she defended Tiffany Cross at the end of her show last night: 

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/joy-reid-lashes-out-at-conservatives-over-tiffany-cross-ouster-you-dont-understand-how-sisters-move/

Agreed that MSNBC should bring Shep Smith over now that his CNBC show has been cancelled. They desperately need his kind of gravitas.

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
On 11/4/2022 at 11:49 AM, Kemper said:

Apparently Tiffany Cross is out at the network.

I’m so heartbroken and angry. msnbc finally gets some cool new people just to….throw them away.  I really feel distressed and sad.  Tiffany is outspoken but she’s not cruel!  She’s similar to Stephanie.

I’m still mourning Zerlina TBH. I adored her and her mild-mannered snark.

Really starting to feel msnbc doesn’t deserve a weeekend audience.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, jenkait said:

I’m so heartbroken and angry. msnbc finally gets some cool new people just to….throw them away.  I really feel distressed and sad.  Tiffany is outspoken but she’s not cruel!  She’s similar to Stephanie.

I’m still mourning Zerlina TBH. I adored her and her mild-mannered snark.

Really starting to feel msnbc doesn’t deserve a weeekend audience.

It's a shame, too, because there are worthwhile weekend hosts on MSNBC. Ayman, Ali Velshi, Jonathan Capehart, Mehdi Hassan, Katie Phang, etc. 

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 1

Watching the coverage tonight and Andrea Mitchell is just so much better as a member of a panel instead of being an anchor.  She has a lot of good insights but it just never comes across when she’s hosting her own show, which is a skill set not everyone is able to master.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I just saw on Mediaite that the network is thinking of expanding Morning Joe into “Specials” at night. Good grief, Joe’s ego and head are already swollen and about ready to pop. Is the 24/7 news cycle barren of new/fresh talent? Will a few of same cast of sycophants appear on these specials? Because I think Jonathan Lemire truly needs more face time. 🙄

• Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I just saw on Mediaite that the network is thinking of expanding Morning Joe into “Specials” at night. Good grief, Joe’s ego and head are already swollen and about ready to pop. Is the 24/7 news cycle barren of new/fresh talent? Will a few of same cast of sycophants appear on these specials? Because I think Jonathan Lemire truly needs more face time. 🙄

Oh, please, no. NO!!!! 😡😡😡😡😡

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jonathan Lemire is ok. But Morning Joe & Mika? No thanks. I can't even bear to watch them in the morning. If MSNBC loves blowhards so much, why don't they put together a prime time show featuring Joe, Chris Cuomo (I hear he's job hunting), the Rev, and maybe they can steal Don Lemon from his new 🥱 crack-of-dawn show.  

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2022 at 5:50 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Jonathan Lemire is ok. But Morning Joe & Mika? No thanks. I can't even bear to watch them in the morning. If MSNBC loves blowhards so much, why don't they put together a prime time show featuring Joe, Chris Cuomo (I hear he's job hunting), the Rev, and maybe they can steal Don Lemon from his new 🥱 crack-of-dawn show.  

Actually, he's on NewsNation now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I read somewhere that his ratings are low (& he's blaming the hour or someone for the low ratings, can't remember which).

Not surprised the ratings are low, but I don't think it's the hour, AND I don't think it's him. (So he's not wrong to be shifting blame.) The problem is that the network is not top-of-mind for anybody. You can be a Chris Cuomo fan and still not know where NewsNation is on your cable grid, or remember to go there when you're looking for news.

• Love 7

As long as we are on the subject of strong women of color on MSNBC, I always enjoy longtime panelist Juanita Tolliver. She is a delight no matter who she is on a panel with. Her incredulous response to comments about women by a male host on a certain other channel (wink, wink) was the icing on the cake of this week's election coverage. Stephanie Ruhle was rolling with laughter!! Maybe they should put Ms. Tolliver in the timeslot vacated by Tiffany Cross. 😎

MSNBCW_20221111_070000_The_11th_Hour_With_Stephanie_Ruhle_002579.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Not surprised the ratings are low, but I don't think it's the hour, AND I don't think it's him. (So he's not wrong to be shifting blame.) The problem is that the network is not top-of-mind for anybody. You can be a Chris Cuomo fan and still not know where NewsNation is on your cable grid, or remember to go there when you're looking for news.

I know one thing. If any TV news personality I liked ended up on News Nation, I'd make a point to find him/her. It's hard to believe Cuomo's many fans can't find his new show.

31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I know one thing. If any TV news personality I liked ended up on News Nation, I'd make a point to find him/her. It's hard to believe Cuomo's many fans can't find his new show.

I found it to see how he is doing. I like his new show.

1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

I have to give a shout out to the excellent election coverage...especially one Steve Kornacki. He has enthusiasm and gravitas...and he is always worth watching!! 😎😁

Steve's special. IMO,  Steve's work is boring & confusing, so I need to watch *him* so I'll pay attention! Watching John King do this type of work is too painful as JK isn't a cutie pie 🤗.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

Steve's special. IMO,  Steve's work is boring & confusing, so I need to watch *him* so I'll pay attention! Watching John King do this type of work is too painful as JK isn't a cutie pie 🤗.

They don't call Steve the chartthrob for nothing!! 😁❤ Did you all see the teenage Steve the other night?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I've already mentioned this on the Morning Joe board, but I am angry that MSNBC keeps letting Chris Matthews back on. I've only seen him whine, ahem, pontificate on MJ, but I really hope they won't let him on the other shows. His voice sets my teeth grinding. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

@annzeepark914, I thought of you the other day when I saw Heilemann on a panel with Nicolle Wallace. He is going to be filling in for her in a couple of weeks. It was so funny - he was saying that he is bracing himself because the last couple of times he filled in for Nicolle turned out to be huge news weeks (Russia invading Ukraine, the Feds going to Mar-a-Lago). So you have an early Christmas present!! 😎😁💖

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

@annzeepark914, I thought of you the other day when I saw Heilemann on a panel with Nicolle Wallace. He is going to be filling in for her in a couple of weeks. It was so funny - he was saying that he is bracing himself because the last couple of times he filled in for Nicolle turned out to be huge news weeks (Russia invading Ukraine, the Feds going to Mar-a-Lago). So you have an early Christmas present!! 😎😁💖

Wow! 🎉🤓 I didn't know, but how strange that just this morning I was thinking of Heilemann & wishing he'd fill in for NW *soon*. And I was thinking of what an incredible experience he had during his last  time subbing for her. He really did an outstanding job, expertly covering the mega news-breaking Mar-a-Lago scandal. She acknowledged what a great job he did. Oh happy day ☺️. Thanks!! Just told MrP914...he's very pleased.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow! 🎉🤓 I didn't know, but how strange that just this morning I was thinking of Heilemann & wishing he'd fill in for NW *soon*. And I was thinking of what an incredible experience he had during his last  time subbing for her. He really did an outstanding job, expertly covering the mega news-breaking Mar-a-Lago scandal. She acknowledged what a great job he did. Oh happy day ☺️. Thanks!! Just told MrP914...he's very pleased.

I agree with your assessment of John Heilemann and think it's sad they haven't found a permanent place for him on the network.  No, hand four hours to twittering twits who can't find their ass if you give them a map, but don't find a spot for someone who's sharp and funny and smart.  They gave Rachel's spot to his "The Circus' partner, but I think he's head and shoulders above her in what he brings to the table.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

It grinds my gears big time that neither Joy Reid nor Alex Wagner can bring herself to pronounce Sinema’s first name properly. It is not “Kristin.” It is “Kyrsten.”

I also was offended by Joy using a clip from Fatal Attraction, one of the most misogynistic movies of its decade, to tease the segment about Sinema. 

Edited by Eliot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

You're welcome!! Yes, Heilemann will be filling in on DWH starting Monday, December 19th. I went back and read the transcript, and his exact quote was every time he fills in for Nicolle, "the world blows up". I too enjoyed when he last filled in for Nicolle in August. He handled those two weeks of huge, monumental news in stride and with lots of humor!! It was great watching him.

MSNBCW_20221207_210000_Deadline_White_House_006987.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I agree with your assessment of John Heilemann and think it's sad they haven't found a permanent place for him on the network.  No, hand four hours to twittering twits who can't find their ass if you give them a map, but don't find a spot for someone who's sharp and funny and smart.  They gave Rachel's spot to his "The Circus' partner, but I think he's head and shoulders above her in what he brings to the table.

Do we know if he even wants a permanent MSNBC hosting gig? Maybe he prefers to be a regular panelist and an occasional fill-in host. After over four months of Alex Wagner, I'm kind of "meh". She can do the job, but I've never been overly excited about her show. I actually preferred "MSNBC Prime" with revolving hosts like Ali Velshi, Ayman Moyheldin, Mehdi Hasan, etc.

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I am not in any way a fan of Kyrsten Sinema, but it grinds my gears big time that neither Joy Reid nor Alex Wagner can bring herself to pronounce her name properly. It is not “Kristin.” It is “Kyrsten.”

I agree. This irritates me. I notice that MSNBC doesn't at all make any effort in this kind of thing. The entire time Rod Rosenstein was in the news, they never managed to inform their on-air people of whether it was stIne or stEEn. It took me 30 seconds to find the answer myself, so they really just don't care and don't try.

• Like 1
  • Love 3