Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

So happy Psaki finally got a show~! I wish it was a daily show rather than once a week though. Perhaps shave off an hour from Morning Joe or move somebody elsewhere. Maybe she'll get one of those in time if she does well with this. I suppose it's better that she work her way up to that. Perhaps she'll still contribute throughout the week on other shows this way.

I like most of their hosts--Wallace, Kornacki, Maddow, Tur, Reid, Melber, now Psaki. Wagner and Hayes are okay. Heilemann is another one like Psaki with potential for his own show, imo. No doubt I'd watch a show of Claire McCaskill if she ever got one, too, but I think being a contributor is actually a better fit for her since she gets to show up all over the schedule.

• Like 2

I don’t know why but if asked I probably would’ve said Jill Wine Banks was “like late-60s?” which would’ve made her like 19 when she was a lawyer during Watergate.

She’s like…80. And you have to Google for images of her style in the early 1970’s! Black and white pictures. So effortlessly stylish and glam and just…so fresh-faced and young. It’s crazy.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1

Oh man this was just embarrassing, msnbc!! They kept showing Justin Trudeau with Joe Biden and Jill but didn’t mention Sophie G once, even cut her out of the screen 😵💫 as she sat beside JT.  Good grief! 

I know we are at be US’s “hat” and I love the US and msnbc but this was rough :(

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

Please tell Priscilla Thompson, live at the tornado site, that "debris" is not pronounced "de-breeze" ffs.

That's the plural... 😉

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 3

I'm really enjoying Ali Velshi subbing for the Alex Wagner hour this week. I stopped watching Alex because I can't stand her smirking, chewing on her hair and acting like a little girl. But when I saw Ali was in this week, I started watching and I really like him.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm really enjoying Ali Velshi subbing for the Alex Wagner hour this week. I stopped watching Alex because I can't stand her smirking, chewing on her hair and acting like a little girl. But when I saw Ali was in this week, I started watching and I really like him.

I might be one of the few people who remember Alex Wagner on msnbc in like 2010 (she had her own show too). So to me it was like she was coming home.  I still remember some funny things she said from a decade ago. I didn’t think her hair was long enough to chew on lol, but I listen to msnbc as much as watch it.  I just love her, I was overjoyed to have her back on msnbc. I do not envy her having to fill Rachel’s shoes, though.

It’s just cosmetic, but I really like the look of Alex’s left ear with all the earrings. It’s subtly glam. I have 3 in my left ear and it me want to go get a few more too. She’s my age! I love it.

Is Nicolle Wallace a hair-chewer?  I’m not sure. I swear I can hear her little tics when she talks lol. But I love her too.

Ugh I just love almost everyone on msnbc.

Edited by jenkait
Spelling is hard :(
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 6:13 AM, Ladyrain said:

Wow.  There's nothing here!  Not a good sign but I'll plunge ahead anyway, with hopes that someone will see this ........ Does anyone  know whatever happened to that smarmy little Luke Russert?  In an instant several years ago it seemed as if he was everywhere on MSNBC.  He guest commented on every show, reported from The Hill, subbed for every single host who took a day off.  Then BAM! in the blink of an eye he just disappeared.  I can't seem to find anything on my internet searches, other than he left the network last summer (which I am eternally grateful for, by the way).  It all begs the question of what the hell happened.  He went from being the Golden Boy to a pariah overnight.  Is there a fabulous snarker somewhere on this board who can shed some light on this?  I'd be ever so grateful. ✌️

Wow I am finding old threads here, and I am loving it. I don’t know where Luke Russert went, but I remember how Alex Wagner would call him “the sage of Capitol Hill” and I always thought she was trolling him. Too funny.

• Like 1

Ladyrain -  I just read where he has a book coming out; I think it is called “Finding Myself” or something close to that. He took a three-year journey around the world and documented it in pictures. And yes, Jenkait, Alex W may have been trolling him. 😎 I often wondered if the other journalists/pundits resented him a little - he was probably the definition of a Nepo Baby at the time. I must admit the book sounds interesting - I will probably give it a read. Shallow End of the Pool: I wonder if the network will go crazy with promoting it and him. 

Jenkait - I remember Alex W’s show - I have always really liked her. I remember when she got married (to a chef, I think). 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Honestly, this network - especially since the former President’s indictment, has turned into Trump Central 100% of the time. It is exhaustiing.  As amateurish as CNN has become with their personnel issues, I can at least get other news some of the time. Ukraine, weather, the problems with the use of AI (actually frightening),sports, finance, etc. Their Trump coverage “only” takes up maybe 85% of the airtime.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

Honestly, this network - especially since the former President’s indictment, has turned into Trump Central 100% of the time. It is exhaustiing.  As amateurish as CNN has become with their personnel issues, I can at least get other news some of the time. Ukraine, weather, the problems with the use of AI (actually frightening),sports, finance, etc. Their Trump coverage “only” takes up maybe 85% of the airtime.

MSNBC needs to be careful. There are a lot of important things going on here that need attention. Do they think we're all glued to our TV's, desperate for any little tidbit about one person's situation? CNN needs to watch it as well. Add me to the folks who have enjoyed watching Ali at 9:00 PM this week. I am not a fan of Wagner, who is a bit too precious. Too bad Katy Tur's not available (I'm sure she wants to be home with her little ones at night).

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 6
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think I preferred Jen Psaki at the White House. We watched her show today for a little while and then switched to CNN. She was a very good press secretary.

I've gotten some daily email newsletter from MSNBC for a few years. Sometimes I actually read them other times I don't. She's been mentioned in the subject line of them so much. I haven't watched MSNBC in at least a year at this point so I haven't seen her show. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Even at the White House, Jen Psaki's voice was annoying to my ears.  She sounds too "sharp."  So, I don't watch her on MSNBC. 

But that's what I liked about her as press secretary. She had to deal with some very aggressive reporters & always handled them professionally. I didn't think her voice was sharp (unlike Alicia Menendez whose voice needs to be toned down, but I still like her). IMO, some people are good on TV, others not.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

But that's what I liked about her as press secretary. She had to deal with some very aggressive reporters & always handled them professionally. I didn't think her voice was sharp (unlike Alicia Menendez whose voice needs to be toned down, but I still like her). IMO, some people are good on TV, others not.

I agree, she was a good press secretary and that's a tough job, but I didn't like her voice.  I don't like Alicia's either.

• Useful 2
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Someone else whose voice needs to be toned down is Mehdi Hasan. He always sounds so angry/outraged and loud. 

I tried watching him a couple times, but I couldn't stand to listen to him or look at him.

• Like 2

Hasan is really smart, though. His tone of voice isn't what we usually hear, but his analysis is also not bland and useless like a lot of the babble they put out these days just to fill time. I swear, you can watch the network for hours and hours and only hear one idea  or data point, some days.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

Hasan is really smart, though. His tone of voice isn't what we usually hear, but his analysis is also not bland and useless like a lot of the babble they put out these days just to fill time. I swear, you can watch the network for hours and hours and only hear one idea  or data point, some days.

Yes, he is very smart. But his anger & outrage are way too off putting to be effective. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I watch him sometimes. I find him more effective at informing me than most of the other people on their air, so I think what's effective depends on what you're looking for. I can't even watch the bland people they have on 3/4 of the time.

• Like 3

A quick reminder for everybody, there is a big orange note at the top of this topic that says:

This topic is to discuss the business of MSNBC. It is NOT to discuss what was on MSBNC today. This hopefully will prevent us from discussing our opinions of politics and politicians. Posts will be removed and warnings may be issued for repeated occurrences.

Please take a moment to read through the entire Primetimer & Politics Rules.

The rule for the entire site is that we do not allow what was said or discussed on MSNBC to be used as a springboard to voice your political thoughts generally.

So nice to turn on Deadline: White House & see Heilemann. I wish he hosted this show. The two hours fly by as he deftly handles some mighty serious topics. I only watch D:WH for the excellent guests as Nicholle has become too much for me.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 4/10/2023 at 8:48 AM, Crashcourse said:

Even at the White House, Jen Psaki's voice was annoying to my ears.  She sounds too "sharp."  So, I don't watch her on MSNBC. 

This is too funny!  I must have dull ears because I don’t hear that, her voice sounds bland to me. 

I’m not sure it was you but someone said they couldn’t stand Adrienne Elrod’s “barky-seal voice”.  And someone else agreed that her and Susan Del Percio talking to each other was like torture. It made me laugh so much (sorry if it was you!)

I mentioned above how I was really enjoying Lisa Rubin as an analyst-I could add her voice sounds positively beautiful to me.

Edited by jenkait
Grammar
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, jenkait said:

This is too funny!  I must have dull ears because I don’t hear that, her voice sounds bland to me. 

I’m not sure it was you but someone said they couldn’t stand Adrienne Elrod’s “barky-seal voice”.  And someone else agreed that her and Susan Del Percio talking to each other was like torture. It made me laugh so much (sorry if it was you!)

I mentioned above how I was really enjoying Lisa Rubin as an analyst-I could add her voice sounds positively beautiful to me.

No, it wasn't me who said that about Adrienne Elrod, but her voice is kind of "barky." 

I don't watch much MSNBC anymore, so I haven't seen Lisa Rubin yet. 

• Like 2

MSNBC…how many shows will have Luke Russert on to shill his book? How many segments will he get…while the hosts fawn. He seems like an okay young man; but really? I can’t blame him for going on the shows - it sells books. I guess. The network does roll out the red carpet when one of their own writes a book. I seem to remember Lawrence O and Rachel being low-key and not being everywhere all at once. 😉 But the attention when Joe S wrote his book was way way over the top. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Joe S probably realized nobody would buy his book without a lot of pressure, since he's such an unlikable hack. By contrast, LOD and Maddow have actual fans who genuinely want to know what they have to say about various topics, so they don't have to shill so hard to move a few copies.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Joe S probably realized nobody would buy his book without a lot of pressure, since he's such an unlikable hack. By contrast, LOD and Maddow have actual fans who genuinely want to know what they have to say about various topics, so they don't have to shill so hard to move a few copies.

Oh my God, this is so very true! Bless your heart…you are spot on.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

I know MSNBC has a soft spot in their heart for Luke after all they "made" him. He's a nepo baby.

However if it wasn't for his well respected father he wouldn't have had the shot at journalism he was handed.

Are we taking bets on him showing up on Meet The Press? (and don't get me going on that host hot mess)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

Are we taking bets on him showing up on Meet The Press? (and don't get me going on that host hot mess)

A hot mess is being kind when it comes to Toad. With other firings recently I hope his mouth and attitude finds him out the door soon too. He's always come across as really skeevy to me and that facial hair he decides to sport doesn't help in regards to me thinking that.

I remember a lot of people online were happy to see Luke go. He could seem really arrogant and disinterested in what he was doing at times. If you read the first couple pages at least you'll see a lot of people here weren't unhappy to see him depart.  

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I dunno. A nepo baby can't really feel good about him/herself, knowing others didn't get the job because they weren't the child of a beloved company star. To me, he always came across as a little uncomfortable. Maybe I also felt sorry for him, losing his dad. Doubt I'll read the book, though  

• Like 2

Since I cut CNN out of life several months ago I'm watching way too much of MSNBC. I'll stick with the few shows I've watched for a long time but otherwise I think the rest of the content is worthless.

(I tried watching News Nation but I really think those people are nuts.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Since I cut CNN out of life several months ago I'm watching way too much of MSNBC. I'll stick with the few shows I've watched for a long time but otherwise I think the rest of the content is worthless.

(I tried watching News Nation but I really think those people are nuts.)

Which ones have you tired and liked (or tried and not liked)? I do find that quality varies a lot.

I tuned in and Alex Wagner's on and, I figured out what's always annoyed me about her.  The way her hair bounces around on one side just drives me crazy.  I just changed the channel.  I know it's shallow, but I don't care. 😏

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I have had a Twitter account since 2011 and rarely use it, I just have some msnbc video clips saved. I have never tweeted to anyone before but today I did! I sent a tweet to one of my favorite guests, Susan Del Percio. I thanked her for being a straight shooter and told her I trusted her. I told her don't ever change!  ....sorry if I step on any toes here, fwiw I'm a leftie Canadian lady but I've learned a lot from Susan Del P and I really respect her. She's naturally a bit of a black sheep on the network but I just wanted her to know her voice is appreciated. I'm 45 years old and this is my first tweet 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Re: Alex Wagner? Love her earrings. I have 2 on one side and 3 on the other (small) and I decided im going to ramp it up and add a couple more to make the "3" side 5 or 6. If Alex can pull it off I'm going to try too! 

(I'm also going to get a tattoo with my son's name. He's 7 so he thinks it's cool.  Why would I be preserving my body anyway at this age?!)

Edited by jenkait
Added story
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's difficult to understand how, after 3 years of zoom/skype/webex invading our 4K HD TVs, this network can barely complete a segment without audio drops, frozen, or just dropped connections. Wayne's World* had better production values. Party On!

*The Aurora-based community-access show, of course, not the film.

Edited by SG429
  • LOL 5
On 6/15/2023 at 9:36 PM, Crashcourse said:

I tuned in and Alex Wagner's on and, I figured out what's always annoyed me about her.  The way her hair bounces around on one side just drives me crazy.  I just changed the channel.  I know it's shallow, but I don't care. 😏

Thanks for helping me not feel so badly about my attitude re: Wagner. That hair hiding part of her eye? It's so irritating. I can't watch her show because of this hair in the eye...plus, I really don't feel like I'm missing *anything* by not watching her.  CNN has a much better interviewer on at 9:00 PM.

• Like 2
(edited)

I also can't stand Alex Wagner. I know she has a following, and I'm glad for her. But I can't tolerate her. She annoys me more than almost anyone else on the entire network.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 2

Joe Scarborough bloviates five days a week, four hours each day. Is actually present way less than that. He was on interviewing Amanda Seyfried this morning (Saturday) and is supposed to have a special on Monday night. Are viewers demanding this? Is there no one else on the list of hosts and reporters who the network could give airtime to?  I guess the powers that be don’t have confidence in the current weekend lineup.

• Like 8

This just seems to me as another example of Joe's obsession with celebrities and show business. His special is being touted as a run up to the blockbuster movie Oppenheimer. Is it? The new Indiana Jones movie hasn't even hit that level and historically Indie's pretty damn popular 

• Like 1

Hate to bring this up again. But. I turned on the network when I got up this morning (Saturday) And there was Joe S interviewing someone about Oppenheimer. How many on-air hours has he inhaled talking about this movie, its actors and director.  Over and over. I am assuming the interview (did not watch it) was a rerun from his daily show. 

The one positive …. It decreased the airtime and oxygen usually devoted to the 24/7 Trump coverage.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Does anyone know of a way to look up who is guest hosting when? Sometimes there's a host I really like (or dislike) and I will change what hours I tune in, based on who is in the chair.

Maybe it would be on their website?