Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I was (kinda) impressed that most of the anchors saying goodbye yesterday did a different package so we weren't seeing the same piece every hour.  Andrea almost cried.  

She should take a hint... 

Andrea...if you're listening? And Judy Woodruff as well (actually, it was recently announced that Judy will retire at the end of December...her voice puts me to sleep!)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Michael Steele filled in for Nicolle today!!! He filled in for Ali Velshi last week, Symone Sanders Townsend at the beginning of last month (she took that weekend off to get married!), and for Ayman back in June. I wonder if MSNBC is considering giving him his own show. Part of me would like that, but part of me would miss him popping up on all the other shows. Then again, that hasn't stopped Jonathan Lemire. 😉😁😂

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1

I like Michael Steele but I wish Heilman were subbing this week (he just kicks up the energy, which the 2 hour show needs). Actually, I wish they'd just give him the show. Nicholle has mostly excellent guests, but I'm tired of the constant reminders that she worked in the WH. And that little laugh as she's talking really irritates me. I can see it confuses her new guests who think they have to laugh with her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I like Michael Steele but I wish Heilman were subbing this week (he just kicks up the energy, which the 2 hour show needs). Actually, I wish they'd just give him the show. Nicholle has mostly excellent guests, but I'm tired of the constant reminders that she worked in the WH. And that little laugh as she's talking really irritates me. I can see it confuses her new guests who think they have to laugh with her.

So am I...she mentions it at least once a day!!!

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I like Heilman but sometimes he talks too fast which sounds like he's stuttering.  He needs to slow down and take breaths.

He may have gotten into the habit of fast-talking from being on MJ so often.  With Joe’s habit of interrupting and inserting himself into everyone’s conversations, Heilemann may be in a hurry to get his point across.

Unpopular opinion, but I really like Nicole Wallace; just not the overly-long mermaid hair. She is not a Hallmark actress!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

He may have gotten into the habit of fast-talking from being on MJ so often.  With Joe’s habit of interrupting and inserting himself into everyone’s conversations, Heilemann may be in a hurry to get his point across.

Unpopular opinion, but I really like Nicole Wallace; just not the overly-long mermaid hair. She is not a Hallmark actress!

Poor Heilemann...trying to get his point across on that show! 

Why do women think they look so great with ropes of hair dangling below their shoulders? Especially newswomen. The men always look so professional on the air, wearing their suits & ties, neat hairstyles. Too many of the women look like they're at a summer cocktail party. Barbara Walters, Jessica Savitch, Nancy Dickerson, Judy Woodruff (1st female anchor in Atlanta in the 70's), Jane Pauley (1st female anchor in Indianapolis, then Chicago, in the 70's), etc. These women always presented themselves well, despite the crap they had to endure from male associates. Poor Barbara, 1st female national news (co)anchor with Harry Reasoner, who seethed his resentment on the air every night. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 8/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, annzeepark914 said:

He's actually subbing as we speak! 😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

He's actually subbing as we speak! 😎

You *know* I'm a happy camper this week 😁!! I was just wondering how to get in touch with MSNBC to suggest they give him a prime time show. The two hours flew by even though he had a lot of excellent guests who covered many topics. He really makes the show come alive.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

You *know* I'm a happy camper this week 😁!! I was just wondering how to get in touch with MSNBC to suggest they give him a prime time show. The two hours flew by even though he had a lot of excellent guests who covered many topics. He really makes the show come alive.

I think he would be wonderful at the 11:00 hour.  He is smooth, easy and has a sense of humor; in the vein of Brian Williams. Stephanie Ruhle should replace Andrea Mitchell at noon. Just my two cents. 

I like and respect Andrea; she has earned everything that has come her way. And worked hard when she could have rested on her laurels.  But last week she was on MJ and was really stumbling over her words.  She could still be powerful in a lesser, but important role.  Her knowledge of Washington, politics and world affairs is seasoned and wise.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is there a permanent host for Rachel's show Tuesday through Friday? 

Alex Wagner starts on the 16th.  

I think Ali Velshi is in for the rest of this week. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I think he would be wonderful at the 11:00 hour.  He is smooth, easy and has a sense of humor; in the vein of Brian Williams. Stephanie Ruhle should replace Andrea Mitchell at noon. Just my two cents. 

I think he would be wonderful at any hour.  I wonder if his star has been a little tarnished with the network brass because of his previous association with Mark Halperin, and that's why he doesn't get offered full-time network gigs.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I think he would be wonderful at any hour.  I wonder if his star has been a little tarnished with the network brass because of his previous association with Mark Halperin, and that's why he doesn't get offered full-time network gigs.

Let’s don’t forget that Joe and Mika were associated with Halperin. They actually wanted him back when the dust settled. 🤓

• Mind Blown 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can only imagine how much more high energy he'll be given the news that broke last night. 😉😁

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Kemper said:

I agree. Stephanie is too loud for when people are settling in and ready to go to sleep at 11PM. Plus, she interrupts her guests too much.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The substitute hosts have to endure the regular hosts calling in this week 🙄.  Maybe the powers that be are concerned that the subs are doing a better job. 

I had no idea this was happening! I guess I haven’t been watching as much as I used to. The network still has not given up the “Breaking News” banner/habit of considering events that happened yesterday as “Breaking” - CNN has gotten a bit better at it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh, yeah... it's a-happenin'. I was going to stop off at the supermarket & pick up some stuff on my way home just before 4:00, but then remembered that Heilemann was subbing. That changed my mind in a NY minute and home I rushed. I love it when he calls some of his male guests by their last names--it's so Joe College (to use an ancient phrase).

• Love 4
On 8/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, Kemper said:

I like and respect Andrea; she has earned everything that has come her way. And worked hard when she could have rested on her laurels.  But last week she was on MJ and was really stumbling over her words.  She could still be powerful in a lesser, but important role.  Her knowledge of Washington, politics and world affairs is seasoned and wise.

I feel the same.  I really respect Andrea, she is obviously intelligent and her inside knowledge on the inner workings of Washington is insightful.  However, I don’t think she should be an anchor with her own show.  A guest pundit, ok.  But she is constantly tripping over her own words or even just getting confused like maybe she lost her place on the teleprompter or something.  Not everyone is cut out for an anchor position.  It makes me anxious and a little embarrassed for her.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know this is the "Business" forum for Primetimer; and is not to be used as an opinion of particular hosts and episodes.  But it seems unprofessional when a four hour news show (Morning Joe) repeats entire segments and interviews as if they were live.  On a regular basis.

It makes me wonder if this is widespread across the network.  Nicole W has two hours; do they repeat the first half hour when they go to the second hour? Do other networks do this?  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Nicole W has two hours; do they repeat the first half hour when they go to the second hour?

No, she does not.

But they do rerun prime time shows during the overnight hours--and for those of us on West Coast time, that starts at 9 pm.  "MSNBC Prime" runs three times in one night.  In a day when virtually everyone has DVR capability and no need to catch a show on a later run, it feels like lazy and cheap programming.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

No, she does not.

But they do rerun prime time shows during the overnight hours--and for those of us on West Coast time, that starts at 9 pm.  "MSNBC Prime" runs three times in one night.  In a day when virtually everyone has DVR capability and no need to catch a show on a later run, it feels like lazy and cheap programming.

Sadly, my sarcasm knows no bounds; a two-hour show is not long enough to slide in rerunning part of it. And Nicole is too professional.

Late night could actually be a good time to broadcast something different. How about something like Late-Late night with a wildly unexpected host? 🤓 Just for an hour or two. What was it that they used to run that was bizarre? True crime? Cops? Home shopping? Anyone remember?

I've enjoyed John Heilemann filling in for Nicolle Wallace. I think he'd be okay with his own show. I like him more than Ari Velsher, Morning Joe, Andrea Mitchell, Stephanie Ruhle, or Chuck Todd--just to name a few that come to mind. I loved his interactions with Vaughn Hillyard, too.

I'd take Jen Psaki and even Tiffany Cross over any of those names, too. Alex Wagner's show hasn't aired yet for me to comment on her, but she seemed alright a couple of weeks ago when she showed up one of the nights they were all there together covering the 1/6 committee.

• Love 2

I was prepared to endure Nicholle this afternoon, so I was elated to see Heilmann again. It always feels like he's taking us on a wild ride through the craziness of politics these days. The two hours seem to fly by. I sent a message to MSNBC, telling them what a great job he's doing & that they need to give him a show, preferably in prime time. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I've enjoyed John Heilemann filling in for Nicolle Wallace. I think he'd be okay with his own show. I like him more than Ari Velsher, Morning Joe, Andrea Mitchell, Stephanie Ruhle, or Chuck Todd--just to name a few that come to mind. I loved his interactions with Vaughn Hillyard, too.

I loved when John asked Vaughn to explain what the tree made of elk horns in the background was. The explanation Vaughn gave, with off-screen help from the locals, was both hilarious and educational. 😂

MSNBCW_20220815_200000_Deadline_White_House_005939.jpg

MSNBCW_20220815_200000_Deadline_White_House_005999.jpg

MSNBCW_20220815_200000_Deadline_White_House_006327.jpg

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

Alex Wagner blew her cues in the opening of her first show tonight, but hopefully that doesn't happen again. Otherwise, I thought she did a good job. 

Chris Hayes gave her a nice welcome as he ended his show and chatted with her for a bit (probably trying to calm her nerves).  I had to get some work done so I missed her show. Will catch it tonight.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Alex Wagner blew her cues in the opening of her first show tonight, but hopefully that doesn't happen again. Otherwise, I thought she did a good job. 

Yeah. She did alright the rest of the show, so I give her a break for a little nervousness her first month or so on the job. Filling the Maddow time slot would be particularly daunting for anyone, I imagine.

I enjoyed her. And I liked the graphics and look of the show as well.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 8/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

And I liked the graphics and look of the show as well.

Agree. I'm glad they really changed things up.

And besides liking it, I think it was smart. Putting her into the Rachel set would have just invited unflattering comparisons. (Not saying those unflattering comparisons would have been deserved, just that they would have been inevitable.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
On 8/16/2022 at 7:01 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

First time in this thread, I was looking to see what peeps were saying about Alex Wagner's show. I'm still on the fence.

But since you brought up Heilemann (a.k.a my tv boyfriend) I too would love to see him in a show and I love when he fills in for Nicolle. But I question whether he wants one, he has the Circus and other gigs. He just reminds me of a guy who doesn't want to be tied down. (sigh)

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

John Heilemann did such a great job in that two week stint, with so much big news happening. He handled it with such humor and gravitas that I was almost disappointed to see Nicolle come back - and I like Nicolle.

As for Alex Wagner - no harm, no foul. She's not one of my favorite MSNBC personalities, but she can do the job.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

She's awfully perky.

*That's* why I can't watch her show. I was saying that her smile is OTT...just couldn't figure out what it was about her that bugged me. These are serious times now and that perkiness + Nicholle's very irritating heh-heh's when she's setting up a question for a guest are really getting on my very last nerve. I've noticed the guests are looking a bit irritated lately.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Also, Chris Hayes needs speech therapy. He's constantly choking on his words. I don't know if he talks too fast or if his tongue is swollen, or what the problem is. He's always talked to fast and sometimes choked on his words, but it's gotten worse. 

Yes, I'm cranky. You're making a living delivering serious information (or what should be serious information) and you can't be bothered to run a network where people delivering this information are actually serious.

The sloppiness at MSNBC has always been a problem but it's getting worse, not better, lately.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I remember watching Alex Wagner several years ago, and I always thought she was too perky.  I also remember that hair swinging around her face, and it annoyed the hell out of me. 

I don't watch Chris Hayes, but I've always thought that Heilemann stumbled on his words too much; however, he seems to have gotten better lately.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also, Chris Hayes needs speech therapy. He's constantly choking on his words.

I haven't noticed so much that he chokes on his words, but I choke every time I hear him say, "Like."  "Like this political, like, situation is like, so, like serious." 

But I guess if the network can't even get someone to proofread their misspelled chyrons, they're not going to get someone to help their on-air talent with elocution.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I haven't noticed so much that he chokes on his words, but I choke every time I hear him say, "Like."  "Like this political, like, situation is like, so, like serious." 

He always does that when he gets especially emotional about a topic - and talks faster and faster!! I like Chris Hayes for the most part, so the constant "likes" strike me as extremely sloppy and lazy. 

Switching gears, MSNBC has done a nice job with their coverage on the passing of Queen Elizabeth. Sad as the news is, it's kind of nice not seeing a certain other person as the top story for once.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6