Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'd love to see Al Franken give his spin every night. I'm also an eternal Keith Olbermann fan, and would love to see him again. He's so enjoyable to watch, it's a shame he apparently has such a hard time playing well with others, and has a nasty habit of burning bridges. 

"Go forth and spread beauty and light..."

• Love 5
On 12/27/2021 at 4:16 PM, Crashcourse said:

I watch MSNBC infrequently but I'm watching Nicolle's show now and I've noticed that she's back to moving her head to toss her hair out of her eye.  It's so annoying and I wish she'd get a haircut and/or a new hairstyle.  

You're right... she's at it again 😖!!

• Love 1

I wish Nicole would simply wear her glasses; that putting them on to read something and then yanking them off when she asks her guests a question is distracting. Does that cause the hair issues?  Nicole, there are unlined bifocals now. Please buy some.

• Love 2

I would watch Al Franken every night, but no way would MSNBC choose him as a host for a show.  The backlash would be destabilizing, and there are significant regular guests who might like Al just fine, but would not be on his show.  

Jonathan Capehart is always well prepared and does not let his personality dominate the actual news -- he does not have the big star power yet, but it would be a great shift to see some diversity in the nighttime lineup of hosts.

And because I always salute Chris Jansing when she has done a big sprint of hosting -- I really enjoy her style and even keel.  But TPTB are not going to go with a host older than Brian and who does not have the magnetic draw of a major news host.  

• Love 4

freddi… excellent post.  As for me, I would welcome some new voices as guests; the current stable of pundits can be wearisome and stale. It wouldn’t hurt to have him guest host for a week. But I think CNN may have him under contract. It is interesting that he is seldom on this network.  Speaking of this network….

What, in the name of all that is holy, are you thinking of rerunning Morning Joe programming on New Year’s Eve? On any “eve” or on any day. Ever. News doesn’t take the day off.  I tuned to CNN to catch up on the terrible wildfire, the economic situation…on news other than political. This, to me, is a disgrace….this is why CNN beats you quite a bit in the demos. This is why you will always be not taken as seriously as you should or could be. And yes, CNN switched to punditry almost immediately. But I got some actual news for awhile. And the punditry was live. Not rerun. Rerun! 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

What, in the name of all that is holy, are you thinking of rerunning Morning Joe programming on New Year’s Eve? On any “eve” or on any day. Ever. News doesn’t take the day off.  I tuned to CNN to catch up on the terrible wildfire, the economic situation…on news other than political. This, to me, is a disgrace….this is why CNN beats you quite a bit in the demos. This is why you will always be not taken as seriously as you should or could be. And yes, CNN switched to punditry almost immediately. But I got some actual news for awhile. And the punditry was live. Not rerun. Rerun! 

Completely agree—the same with weekend evenings.  MSNBC really does not even try to pretend to cover need except on its own terms, not when the news is begging to be covered.  How stale to want to know about the wildfires and to see a rerun of Joe and musicians.  

• Love 2

On New Year's Eve, I needed a break from the daily crap going on in our country. So it didn't bother me to watch a mega tribute to Betty White instead of the usual depressing drek. I had to skip the Revie awards though...Al has never acknowledged the damage he helped create to peoples' lives during the Tawana Brawley days. 

• Love 3
On 12/30/2021 at 5:43 PM, Kemper said:

I wish Nicole would simply wear her glasses; that putting them on to read something and then yanking them off when she asks her guests a question is distracting. Does that cause the hair issues?  Nicole, there are unlined bifocals now. Please buy some.

I miss Joyce Vance's glasses.  I don't know if she is now wearing contacts (perhaps she got her eyes fixed?) or if it's the makeup she uses, but she blinks constantly, and it is very distracting.  Once I noticed it, it is all I can see.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, freddi said:

Robert Costa is leaving the Washington Post and taking up a position (as political correspondent, not hosting) at CBS News -- so I am guessing we will not see as much of him on MSNBC going forward.  This article also mentions that David Fahrenthold is moving from the Post to the NY Times, so he should be just as available as ever.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/business/media/robert-costa-cbs.html

Wow ! I always enjoyed seeing Costa on Morning Joe.

• Love 4

I am tired of the rotating guest hosts on The 11th Hour, and wish they would just announce a new host.  Mehdi Hasan has been particularly irritating, with his snarky remarks about all sorts of people, calling DT "the former guy" and Biden "the current guy".  I don't mind when late night comedy hosts do this, but this is a news show.

Tonight was the last straw, when Sen. Collins was saying "we have plenty of time to choose the next justice of the Supreme Court and have a good process," and Hasan said, "Well TOO BAD she did not say that about Amy Coney Barrett."  EXCEPT SHE DID!  And then Sen. Collins voted against the nomination.  (and I am no fan of Collins *or* ACB)  This is pretty basic knowledge for a news show to have at hand.    https://www.collins.senate.gov/newsroom/senator-collins’-statement-supreme-court-nomination  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

According to Deadline, Stephanie Ruhle will be taking over The 11th Hour.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/stephanie-ruhle-brian-williams-msnbc-1234920768/

Her 9 AM slot will be taken over by an EXPANDED version of Morning Joe, which is already three hours long??? Good grief, who was asking for 5 additional hours a week of Joe, Mika, etc.? 🙄

Personally, I would have loved to see Chris Jansing get the gig. Oh, well. 😥

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I was hoping for Al Franken, too.

I won't be watching Stephanie Ruhle, but I'm glad that the nasty-faced Mehdi Hasan won't get the gig.  He also has a nasty attitude and I'll never understand how he got any job on tv.

I agree on both of them. Don't watch either one.

• Love 1

I love Stephanie Ruhle and have always thought she would be excellent at noon. Andrea Mitchell has a lock on that hour, though; but she could put me to sleep. I would think a lot of people would tune in to hear Stephanie’s take on what the stock market is doing in the middle of the day. She knows her stuff, is energetic and engaging.

I am not “age-shaming” Andrea Mitchell - we are about the same age and I like and respect her.  But I do think Stephanie will succeed at the 11 pm time slot - she is quite versatile.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 7

Mediaite has a fawning piece on Morning Joe’s expansion to four hours; and stating some content from early hours will be rerun during the later hours. Because no one watches all four hours according to a press release. I hate the whole idea; and this kind of network decision is why I tune in less and less these days, especially during the day. Nothing fresh.  Most anyone new is relegated to the weekend. This post is not solely to bash MJ; it is to bash the network’s business and hiring practices.  So.

Because of the inbred-ness (new word!) of hosts and on-too-many shows guests, I would never spend money on Peacock. Which actually seems to have some new content. But not enough to make me want to watch or give the network my money. Yes, I am sure they are shaking in their boots.🤓

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Do we know when Stephanie Ruhle officially takes over The 11th Hour and the other programming changes happen? I know I am in the minority, but I like Medhi Hassan. I got a kick out of his report of the introduction of the new White House cat. Still, I recognize that his somewhat abrasive style isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

Obviously, NBC News in all its variants still hasn't hired proofreaders. GAH!!!

274114491_10221115208892064_1676377175733693417_n.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

GAH!!!

GAH!!! is right.

I remember, when I learned how to type, being instructed that the eyes shouldn't look at the keyboard but at the page being typed upon. How do you make that mistake if you're looking at what you type? What's next, L.A. RAMS WIN PUPPY BOWL?

• LOL 5

Maybe the network should use just a wee bit of the millions/billions they are pouring into Peacock and Morning Joe’s expansion to hire a couple of proofreaders. This kind of carelessness in what you are putting up on your screen makes you look like you are a second-tier operation.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

My imagination or has there been an inordinate amount of "subbing" going on, outside of the 9am, 9pm, 11pm upheaval? Seems like there's still a lot of WFH hosting going on, too.

The network doesn’t seem to have a deep bench when shows need a substitute host - it is usually the same faces or hosts from their other shows. I haven’t noticed the many subs other than the ones mentioned above; but I don’t watch as much anymore. Maybe contracts are being negotiated?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

Agreed!  But unfortunately, there’s been talk that he’s considering running for office. 

He considered running for governor of Maryland, but said last month he wasn't going to that he'd stay in the national conversation (or something like that).  So he could become a host, if he and TPTB  want that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don't watch Andrea Mitchell anymore either because she is too painful to watch.  

I don't normally watch Nicolle Wallace either, but I'm watching now.  She's got her hair parted down the middle, some of it falls in her face and she's doing her head movements again.  So annoying.

• Love 1

I stopped watching MSNBC in large part because I got tired of host/friend of show domestic politics both sideism chatter.

But watching since the start of the war, I realize when they really want to do news, MSNBC is capable of assembling a creditable crew of subject matter experts and foreign correspondents. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

I stopped watching MSNBC in large part because I got tired of host/friend of show domestic politics both sideism chatter.

But watching since the start of the war, I realize when they really want to do news, MSNBC is capable of assembling a creditable crew of subject matter experts and foreign correspondents. 

Nicholle usually has very good guests-- journalists, retired military & intelligence folks, politicians, etc., who have interesting info' &/or ideas that are pertinent to current events. 

• Love 5
On 2/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, xaxat said:

Related to this, I've been returning to Rachel Maddow this week, and she seems to have new purpose because of the war--so much so, that I wondered whether she's rethinking leaving.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2022 at 1:28 PM, xaxat said:

They have really stepped up their game. The coverage has been excellent.

• Love 3

I always loved Keith and was sad to see him leave the network; but he can be his own worst enemy sometimes. On the other hand, the network’s daytime programming could surely use some new blood -  so I was thinking he could take over the MTP time slot. Powers that be …. let’s make this happen! Or he could have taken the 9:00 am slot instead of a 4th hour of MJ -  because who was clamoring for that. 🤓 Many possibilities that would not involve Rachel or the evening slots. By the way -did Keith give Rachel her first break into the network? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I always loved Keith and was sad to see him leave the network; but he can be his own worst enemy sometimes. On the other hand, the network’s daytime programming could surely use some new blood -  so I was thinking he could take over the MTP time slot. Powers that be …. let’s make this happen! Or he could have taken the 9:00 am slot instead of a 4th hour of MJ -  because who was clamoring for that. 🤓 Many possibilities that would not involve Rachel or the evening slots. By the way -did Keith give Rachel her first break into the network? 

Keith at 9 am would have been good. Too much MJ as it is.

• Love 4