Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh, yeah!!  Talk about a ratings boost for one's show. Re: Keith? Didn't he burn *all* his bridges?

I thought he burned them at MSNBC - but apparently not. He burned bridges many years ago at ESPN; but I think he has been on a wee bit in the last few years. But not much.

20 hours ago, Kemper said:

I thought he burned them at MSNBC - but apparently not. He burned bridges many years ago at ESPN; but I think he has been on a wee bit in the last few years. But not much.

Aw heck--I still have great memories of "Keithie", back in his anti-Bill O'Reilly days ("O'Really" 😆). I'd love to see him back on air, but sheesh...only if he's got a good grip on his anger issues. The political environment is so much nastier these days than when KO had his show, so I don't know if he can handle it.

• Love 6

I usually have MSNBC on as my white noise and there were two programming announcments today.

Mika Brzezinski announced that beginning Monday April 4th "Morning Joe" will expand to four hours.  I was wondering when "Morning Joe" was going to four hours.

Craig Melvin, the host at 11AM, announced he would no longer be anchoring the news hour.  TBH, it is a relief to hear Melvin's announcement.  I find it difficult to listen to his voice.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealityCheck said:

Craig Melvin, the host at 11AM, announced he would no longer be anchoring the news hour.  TBH, it is a relief to hear Melvin's announcement.  I find it difficult to listen to his voice.

I can't stand to listen to him either.  He might be a nice guy, but I wonder how he got the gig in the first place.  

• Love 4

I think Jen P would be a good addition on most any network; she has a sense of humor and is quick on her feet. A win for any reporter/political analyst.

Business-wise, the network seems almost entirely driven by personalities; a lot of the time we just want the plain, unvarnished facts. 

• Love 1

I wish MSNBC had waited until she resigned from her current position before making their announcement. It just doesn't look right, with her still behind the WH podium, handling her near future associates' questions. I don't blame NBC journalists for being upset.

• Love 7

So if man bc is going to be personality driven who would be their go to if something really serious happens that requires a true news anchor?  Nicole?  She can't carry it all. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wish MSNBC had waited until she resigned from her current position before making their announcement.

Have they actually formally announced it yet?  Everything I've read has been "sources report." 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

So if man bc is going to be personality driven who would be their go to if something really serious happens that requires a true news anchor?  Nicole?  She can't carry it all. 

Brian Williams was the go-to anchor for emergencies and breaking news; also Rachel M.  Brian is gone and Rachel is part-time.  Nicole is good but yes, she can't do it all.  The network does not have a deep bench when it comes to serious, breaking news.  I know he is not everyone's favorite, but I think Ali Velshi is really good with serious news and can think on his feet. 

I find it shocking that NBC News is territorial when it comes to certain things - one of them being that MSNBC does not cover some news/stories live because it would be competing with NBC.  That happened recently - maybe a press conference. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this; because it is just so strange.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Kemper said:

Brian Williams was the go-to anchor for emergencies and breaking news; also Rachel M.  Brian is gone and Rachel is part-time.  Nicole is good but yes, she can't do it all.  The network does not have a deep bench when it comes to serious, breaking news.  I know he is not everyone's favorite, but I think Ali Velshi is really good with serious news and can think on his feet. 

I find it shocking that NBC News is territorial when it comes to certain things - one of them being that MSNBC does not cover some news/stories live because it would be competing with NBC.  That happened recently - maybe a press conference. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this; because it is just so strange.  

Velshi is the best there. Halle Jackson is very good too.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I like Velshi, I just have to get over how he looks like a talking egg.  😄

Yeah but at least an intelligent one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Who are your favorite panelists? I love the humor and self-deprecation of Michael Steele (especially when he is on the same panel as Eugene Robinson or Elie Mystal), Jackie Alemany with her cupcake-shaped cookie jar (which she opened up at Stephanie Ruhle's request last week!), Jill Wine-Banks and her assorted pins, and the classiness and grace of Joyce Vance and Barbara McQuade. 

Great to see Rachel back, and kudos to Ali Velshi for doing yeoman's work. I kind of missed her between-show banter with Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Who are your favorite panelists? I love the humor and self-deprecation of Michael Steele (especially when he is on the same panel as Eugene Robinson or Elie Mystal), Jackie Alemany with her cupcake-shaped cookie jar (which she opened up at Stephanie Ruhle's request last week!), Jill Wine-Banks and her assorted pins, and the classiness and grace of Joyce Vance and Barbara McQuade. 

Great to see Rachel back, and kudos to Ali Velshi for doing yeoman's work. I kind of missed her between-show banter with Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell.

Michael Steele is very good. Also Joyce Vance and Barbara McQuade. Nicole' s new husband Mike too.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, rcc said:

Michael Steele is very good. Also Joyce Vance and Barbara McQuade. Nicole' s new husband Mike too.

Last year, I actually wrote Mr. Steele a fan letter. He not only autographed a photo but wrote a very kind note. Classy guy.

I forgot to add Frank Figluzzi (sp?), Neal Katyal (love the Hamilton poster!) and Kurt Bardella. There really aren't any panelists I don't like, to be honest.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, rcc said:

What? Nicholle married Mike, the NY Times journalist? MrP914 needs to hear this. He kept saying he saw a wedding band on her right hand, but I couldn't see it.  I guess that's why  she was away for a week recently. My favorite is Harry Litman. There's just something about him that brightens my late afternoon ☺️.

• Love 3

I loved what Jackie Alemany said after Stephanie Ruhle asked about the cupcake: "And actually we come bearing a joke tonight, which is what is a kitchen island that is not populated by cupcakes, deserted?" Stephanie then cackled about the dad joke. It was a nice moment of levity. 😂😂😂😂😂

MSNBCW_20220203_210000_Deadline_White_House_004019.jpg

• Love 3
On 4/7/2022 at 8:42 PM, Kemper said:

Well, they still have Chris Jansing. That's all I can think of at the moment.

• Love 1

With the end of CNN+ announced today, maybe Kasie Hunt can be convinced to come back to MSNBC.  Four hours of Morning Joe is waaaay too much and the network needs more talent as everyone has said.

Also, I guess that Chris Wallace may be available, too, although CNN may want to keep him on the main network.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

CNN+ just did not have exciting enough personalities to draw in viewers. I wonder how it would have done with Chris Cuomo since he was the highest rated on the network. 

They may eventually prove me wrong, but I just don't see a market for them no matter what talent they have on board. News is something you want to see when it's fresh. For that, if you're a cord cutter, you can stream CNN or the other news networks. What does "+" offer? Unless it offers 24/7 live streaming news, it's not news. And if it does offer 24/7 live streaming news, what's the point of two different CNN streaming services? Maybe just concentrate on creating one good news network, CNN. It's not like you've got that licked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, tvchick said:

With the end of CNN+ announced today, maybe Kasie Hunt can be convinced to come back to MSNBC.  Four hours of Morning Joe is waaaay too much and the network needs more talent as everyone has said.

Also, I guess that Chris Wallace may be available, too, although CNN may want to keep him on the main network.

Wouldn't they both still be under contract to CNN, though, unless there's an out based on programming?

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, tvchick said:

Four hours of Morning Joe is waaaay too much and the network needs more talent as everyone has said.

Three hours of MJ was way too much. Honestly, who thought adding another hour was a good idea? 😵

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Three hours of MJ was way too much. Honestly, who thought adding another hour was a good idea? 😵

Please...5 minutes is way too much MJ. I tried to watch this show several times, but grinding my teeth is not a good thing. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

It's way past time for MSNBC to consider production values again and get regular contributors off the f**king poorly-lighted, 1950's-era-audio Zoom calls. CNN's running with live anchors and correspondents broadcasting seamlessly from around the world and in the studio, while MSNBC anchors are still reminding guests to unmute their mics, or apologizing for technically broken panels. Newsmakers/newsbreakers are one thing, but the paid contributors need to get to proper broadcast facilities.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

So true. But then joe and Mika would have to haul their butts out of the basement in Florida and go to work like regular millionaires. 

At least Max Headroom is properly lit and framed.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, jacourt said:

So true. But then joe and Mika would have to haul their butts out of the basement in Florida and go to work like regular millionaires. 

Their “home studio” has been the death knell for this show - that used to be so lively.

But most of the shows on this network are like that these days. I never thought “production values” would be the phrase to describe what I see so often when I tune in. But that is it - almost across the board. 

• Love 1

Nicolle has been absolutely glowing these days. It was also fun to see her new hubby Mike with her a few days back as an in-studio guest. We get on the graphics department for their (lack of) proofreading, but I think MSNBC needs to be taken to task for its website as well. Look at Nicolle's bio. It still lists her as married to her first husband - and they divorced in 2019!!!

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/nicolle-wallace-biography-n1157571

I know I have griped about this more than once, but someone really needs to reign in Ari Melber. He and guest Howard Dean were just discussing the Senate situation in my state (Ohio) - serious stuff. Then Ari has to add, "Now I know you're a big Wu Tang Clan fan..." and I literally yelled "SHUT UP!!!" at my TV. His transparent attempts at hipness with rap/hip hop lyrics and references is annoying during regular times, but with everything going on right now it is just crass. Just shut it, Ari. 😣😣😣😣😣

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

That's why I stopped watching Ari months ago.

I don't even really watch his show for him, but his guests. Why doesn't NBC just give him a pop culture show and be done with it?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I don't even really watch his show for him, but his guests. Why doesn't NBC just give him a pop culture show and be done with it?

I feel sorry for his guests, who have to sit there and pretend that they're amused by his pitiful hip hop references.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I feel sorry for his guests, who have to sit there and pretend that they're amused by his pitiful hip hop references.  

I'm surprised someone at MSNBC doesn't advise Ari to stop doing this. It's not professional and doesn't belong on a news format program. The news today is getting more & more serious in America. I get annoyed when Nichole does her little laugh as she's talking.

• Love 6

I don't think I've ever seen Joy Reid as subdued and quiet as she was tonight. On top of everything else that's been in the news, she had to announce at the end of her show that the US had just surpassed one million Covid deaths. I thought she would start crying right then and there. Wow.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm surprised someone at MSNBC doesn't advise Ari to stop doing this. It's not professional and doesn't belong on a news format program. The news today is getting more & more serious in America. I get annoyed when Nichole does her little laugh as she's talking.

A couple of years ago there was an article (cannot remember where)that discussed how popular Ari was with younger viewers due to his hip-hop references. But I do think there should be a time and place; yesterday sure was not that day. It makes me cringe sometimes when the guest looks uncomfortable when he brings up one of their “favorites” - and then it makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

What's really sad about Ari's being a middle-aged hipster is that he's younger than I am. 😱😬😂

I haven't watched him in awhile, but I just see a handsome man tbh. 

• Love 1