Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I can’t imagine him being pushed out; but from a network that allows MJ moving to Florida and broadcasting from their den - nothing would surprise me.  The 11 o’clock hour needs a soft touch, humor, possibly an “old hand” kind of person; maybe even some news that isn’t all political.  

He's been at NBC since the early 90's and is a middle aged white man so I'm guessing his salary was a big reason they may have nudged him towards the door. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

IIRC, they didn't have anything in that hour before BW took over.  They just started the reruns of the prime time shows an hour earlier than they do now.  Wouldn't be surprised if they went back to that.

No, in Brian's comments at the end of Monday's show, he said that "The 11th Hour" would continue with a new host.  I thought he read his statement very graciously and genuinely.  

On Wednesday night, the combination of Eugene Robinson and Michael Steele again was hilarious -- not because of anything very witty, but because that combination seems to laugh at anything with Brian.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

A sports-crazed friend suggested to me the network should hire Stephen A, some co-horts and pundits to “riff” on the state of news, politics, sports, athletes and politicians. I can’t imagine that as bedtime watching. Friend says the network needs to think outside the box. What could go wrong.😎

ESPN is the place for sports figures to be interviewed. Too bad Keith is no longer sane enough..he'd have been perfect for this late hour program. Right now I can't think of anyone who could mix a bit of lightness to counter the serious news needed. Just thought of John Heilman or Donny Deutsch. I wonder if they'd be a good fit (or, if they'd want it).

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

ESPN is the place for sports figures to be interviewed. Too bad Keith is no longer sane enough..he'd have been perfect for this late hour program. Right now I can't think of anyone who could mix a bit of lightness to counter the serious news needed. Just thought of John Heilman or Donny Deutsch. I wonder if they'd be a good fit (or, if they'd want it).

Keith...brilliant idea; too bad he is seemingly not up to it.  I think about Ali Velshi; I know a good many people do not like him.  I love him; and he can do snark, humor and thoughtful interviews.  I heard him, maybe 4-5 years ago, talking about the 24/7 news cycle; he said (have no idea his exact words) that it can be tiring to have to repeat the same news stories after hour.  But face it, Brian W is the master; I kind of feel sorry for the first person they replace him with.  Because there will probably be a second.  At least.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just thought of John Heilman or Donny Deutsch.

Please dog, no Donny Deutsch.  John Heilemann would be fine.

Does this leave MSNBC without an official "news" person?  Everyone else seems to be a pundit.  They would have to pull someone from NBC's news division if there's breaking news.  Real breaking news, not the crap that appears to be a permanent fixture at the bottom of the screen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Please dog, no Donny Deutsch.  John Heilemann would be fine.

Does this leave MSNBC without an official "news" person?  Everyone else seems to be a pundit.  They would have to pull someone from NBC's news division if there's breaking news.  Real breaking news, not the crap that appears to be a permanent fixture at the bottom of the screen.

And from viewing breaking news on the network, it is obvious that when Brian W leaves; Rachel is not present...there is no one capable of doing it; at least doing it as it is intended. Nicole Wallace and Ali V possibly...maybe.  Nicole was always excellent when paired with Brian.  Joy Reid?  Hard no.  Chuck Todd? I kid.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Kemper said:

And from viewing breaking news on the network, it is obvious that when Brian W leaves; Rachel is not present...there is no one capable of doing it; at least doing it as it is intended. Nicole Wallace and Ali V possibly...maybe.  Nicole was always excellent when paired with Brian.  Joy Reid?  Hard no.  Chuck Todd? I kid.

I actually forgot Chuck Todd was in the stable, so I guess, technically they do still have a news guy.  Despite her strong presence and educated approach to the affairs of the day, Rachel is still a pundit, and anyway she's leaving.  Can't very well break news from the fishing hole.  Nicolle is a former political flack and now is a pundit.  A good one, but still not a journalist.

If they don't get some actual news people in to manage news, the network will have completely obliterated the line between journalist and opinionator.  Maybe that's what they want.

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if MSNBC poached Shepard Smith from CNBC. His experience and talent at handling hard news and soft, snarky news is being wasted over there. The audience's interest there drifts away when the Market shuts. He'd be a good replacement for Brian, IMO.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

I wouldn't be surprised if MSNBC poached Shepard Smith from CNBC. His experience and talent at handling hard news and soft, snarky news is being wasted over there. The audience's interest there drifts away when the Market shuts. He'd be a good replacement for Brian, IMO.

Yes!!!  Can't believe I didn't think of Shepard (but then he has been hidden on CNBC).  I've always liked him and would watch only his show on Fox (well, Chris Wallace isn't so bad...what is he doing over there anyway?)

• Love 5

I have noticed that some MSNBC political analysts are now on CNN. All of them I really liked.  It seems that some shows (MJ being one of them) only want friends and pundits that echo the same old same old. The network almost always tops CNN in ratings but lags in demos. The interview that Dana Bash conducted with Chris Christie was excellent and a headline maker.  When was the last time MSNBC accomplished that - besides Rachel Maddox.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I have noticed that some MSNBC political analysts are now on CNN. All of them I really liked.  It seems that some shows (MJ being one of them) only want friends and pundits that echo the same old same old. The network almost always tops CNN in ratings but lags in demos. The interview that Dana Bash conducted with Chris Christie was excellent and a headline maker.  When was the last time MSNBC accomplished that - besides Rachel Maddox.

Yesterday...Nichole Wallace interviewed Christie for the first hour of her show.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3

I am so sorry I left off Nicole's interview with Chris Christie; I did not know he had been on.  Nicole is always prepared, works hard and can think on her feet.  I usually never miss her show.

• Love 3

I put the TV on as I was waiting for that fab cooking show to start 😁 and decided to find out what's going on, via MSNBC. Tiffany Cross has the *worst* vocal fry! I finally couldn't take it any more & switched over to CNN. We don't hear Nora O., Nicholle W., Judy Woodruff, etc., speaking this way.  Someone needs to have a heart to heart chat with these vocally-distorted women who work on TV. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I put the TV on as I was waiting for that fab cooking show to start 😁 and decided to find out what's going on, via MSNBC. Tiffany Cross has the *worst* vocal fry! I finally couldn't take it any more & switched over to CNN. We don't hear Nora O., Nicholle W., Judy Woodruff, etc., speaking this way.  Someone needs to have a heart to heart chat with these vocally-distorted women who work on TV. 

I know.  I watched Tiffany Cross on her first show and after about 20 minutes I changed the channel.  I couldn't take it anymore and I haven't been back since.  It was absolutely the worst vocal fry I'd ever heard and I don't know how/why she got a show.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Crashcourse said:

I know.  I watched Tiffany Cross on her first show and after about 20 minutes I changed the channel.  I couldn't take it anymore and I haven't been back since.  It was absolutely the worst vocal fry I'd ever heard and I don't know how/why she got a show.   

I have noticed over the years that just because someone makes for a great guest on a show….does not automatically mean they will be a good host of their own show.

• Love 4

Ah, Brian Williams just said that his last show is "a week from tonight", so, December 9.  I thought he was on to the end of the month -- well, Christmas.  His guests are being so sweet with their tributes and toasts.  

• Love 1

Regarding Brian Williams. Nobody is irreplaceable; but if anyone is, it would be him. There is no one currently on this network who can come close; they are all pundits with hardly any news backgrounds. So we will see a regurgitation of every. Other. Single. Show. that they currently have on-air the entire day. Same guests, same stories (I don’t watch her all that much, but Rachel M would be the exception). Maybe they could bring back a format that they used years ago…kind of a talk-show with fresh faces.  Crystal Ball (she must hate her parents for that name), Toure’, and some others. If one was off, there was no need for a “sub”….they discussed a wide range of topics, etc. I guess we are at the point of never having a wide range of topics.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe they could bring back a format that they used years ago…kind of a talk-show with fresh faces.  Crystal Ball (she must hate her parents for that name), Toure’, and some others. If one was off, there was no need for a “sub”….they discussed a wide range of topics, etc. I guess we are at the point of never having a wide range of topics.

I remember watching Crystal Ball (hee) and Toure and some others whose names escape me.  I loved watching when they were on.  Now?  Not so much.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I remember watching Crystal Ball (hee) and Toure and some others whose names escape me.  I loved watching when they were on.  Now?  Not so much.

I feel the same; but I could maybe go for the same type of format. Just with a new stable of hosts. Mix young and old…different types, etc. A group who could breeze through a whole host of topics. Some sports if something interesting popped up (athletes behaving badly, the upcoming Winter Olympics, etc.), bits of entertainment, weather happenings, politics, world and national news. 

I know this would be difficult (at best) for a daily, national show. Especially since the  “news” on all the 24/7 networks is all politics all the time. But local news stations do it every day. Maybe a different type of show would be refreshing and a good wind-down at the 11 o’clock hour. But the most important thing would be the makeup of the hosts. Especially age-wise. Not all young-ish and hip; not all old and seasoned. Just some freshness, wit, and no big egos. The last would be the hardest to achieve. Everything I have mentioned is everything that Brian Williams is and can do.

• Love 7

I'm pleased to report that Nicholle is no longer (ok, as of now) twitching her head (to get her hair out of her eyes). So, those of us who complained to TPTB? It worked!!  I really like her show but that head twitching was drivin' me nuts. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm pleased to report that Nicholle is no longer (ok, as of now) twitching her head (to get her hair out of her eyes). So, those of us who complained to TPTB? It worked!!  I really like her show but that head twitching was drivin' me nuts. 

I love her show but haven’t been able to watch in awhile; so I have not seen her til today. She has glam hair and makeup! Is this new?

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I never noticed the head twitching in the first place, but I'm happy you're feeling less distraction.

Speaking of distraction, the woman I absolutely cannot watch is Jennifer Aniston ... constantly raking at her hair ... can't stand it!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I love her show but haven’t been able to watch in awhile; so I have not seen her til today. She has glam hair and makeup! Is this new?

I think she had some work done on her face. Looks great!  And she now probably has her makeup professionally applied. All this since she was given the second hour. 

• Love 1

I didn't know Williams was leaving, but I'm not too broken up about it myself. I enjoyed election coverage with Rachel, Joy, Nicolle, and Kornacki, tbh. I'm not sure who they'll replace the show with, but I know I'd watch a show of Claire McCaskill or Steve Kornacki (or Nick Confessore), just among the general commentators the channel has. I hope it won't be given to Velshi... He's so boring. I'd take Tiffany Cross before him, as far as fill-in hosts they've had before.

I always DVR Deadline, Ari, ReidOut, and Rachel Maddow. Chris Hayes is fine, although his breathless, rapid-fire delivery is why I tend to FF through his show more than the others. Anyway, I mostly love MSNBC from 4 to 10. The complete opposite of the early hours--Chuck Todd, Morning Joe, Stephanie Ruhle, and Andrea Mitchell are all *massive* turnoffs.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

They have a special in Brian William's time slot on Friday, and it sounds like maybe some guest hosts for a while?  I'm sure they have chosen the new host, but will announce it when it will get attention.  

Brian has handled all the praise exceptionally well in the past couple of weeks -- never maudlin, looking a little embarrassed, and very gracious even as he tries to move his guests back into the news cycle.  I will miss him, and I never would have guessed I would get to that feeling about him.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just saw where Chris Wallace is leaving Fox News. Which makes me wonder about the vacancy left by Brian Williams.

I can't see a 74 year old suddenly wanting the grind associated with a very late nightly show.  And it's been announced he's going to be doing something on CNN+.  Of course, a paid streaming news service is also something I can't see, and they're doing it anyway. 

• Love 2
On 11/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Just thought of John Heilman or Donny Deutsch. I wonder if they'd be a good fit (or, if they'd want it).

John filled in for Nicolle yesterday and did a very good job - even if I disagree with him about the decision to get a White House cat!! 😉😂

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

John filled in for Nicolle yesterday and did a very good job - even if I disagree with him about the decision to get a White House cat!! 😉😂

Have you seen his dog? It's as big as a pony! It used to walk in on his interviews with Nicholle.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Was Heileman anti-cat???! 🐈 

My theory about the Brian replacement is that the current crop of guests are not “it”, because they will want the new host to be a fresh presence.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, freddi said:

Was Heileman anti-cat???! 🐈 

Yeah, he was talking about the new White House puppy and the choice to add a new White House cat after the first of the year. He said something to the effect of, "why???" 😡

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Yeah, he was talking about the new White House puppy and the choice to add a new White House cat after the first of the year. He said something to the effect of, "why???" 😡

That does it.  I'm breaking up with my TV boyfriend...

• LOL 5

John Heilman is doing a *great* job subbing for Nicholle. I've always liked him. He really revs up the pace of the show...it's really fascinating. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him get his own evening show. I like Nicholle, but the pace is slower with her. Plus... there's always her reminder to us that she used to work in the White House.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

John Heilman is doing a *great* job subbing for Nicholle. I've always liked him. He really revs up the pace of the show...it's really fascinating. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him get his own evening show. I like Nicholle, but the pace is slower with her. Plus... there's always her reminder to us that she used to work in the White House.

He has been doing great work (differing opinion of the White House cat aside!), and wouldn't mind seeing him land the 11th Hour.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

He has been doing great work (differing opinion of the White House cat aside!), and wouldn't mind seeing him land the 11th Hour.

I'm sure he was auditioning this week for a future big job on msnbc...he's been electric! I could even see him getting this time slot...cause normally, I'm alive while watching Nicholle. But tonight? It was exciting & amazing and fun with Heilman at the helm.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think his dogs are Great Danes ... just sayin'!!!

Make that Great GREAT Danes!!  They are enormous.

I sent a note to MSNBC on their website form telling them what a great job he did this week filling in for Nicholle and that they should give him his own show now.  He used to have a show (with that former MSNBC employee who was fired, can't think of his name, Halpern??) that I enjoyed watching years ago.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I watch MSNBC infrequently but I'm watching Nicolle's show now and I've noticed that she's back to moving her head to toss her hair out of her eye.  It's so annoying and I wish she'd get a haircut and/or a new hairstyle.  

I think the problem here is that Nicolle is "as blind as a bat" (her words) without her glasses & she's too proud to wear them as much as she needs to.  The result is that every time she pulls them off/puts them on, her hair gets pulled into her face & she gets bugged by that.  Just sayin'!!!

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I watch MSNBC infrequently but I'm watching Nicolle's show now and I've noticed that she's back to moving her head to toss her hair out of her eye.  It's so annoying and I wish she'd get a haircut and/or a new hairstyle.  

Oh no...I was watching today (altho' I switched over to CNN for a while) and didn't see the tossing of hair (that was driving me nuts a short while back). If I see it tomorrow, I will again contact MSNBC. It really is irritating, as well as distracting from whatever story is being discussed. Maybe I should send her a head band, as a belated Xmas gift.

• Love 2

Normally I don't watch TV before 4:00 but today I decided to have the last piece of cardamom coffee cake & a cuppa 😊. Put the TV on and there was a beautiful Katy Tur interviewing a guest. Wow! I hadn't seen her in a long time, probably since before she had her second baby. She looks wonderful. Her face is no longer so angular...it has softened or filled out a tiny bit. I wish she were on at 5 or 7, but with little ones at home, that's not going to happen in the near future.

• Love 2

I caught Al Franken a few days ago on CNN.  How about him filling the 11:00 hour if the network wants to go with a pundit?  His wit alone would seem to be a nice way to end the viewing day.  I still wish the network would go with someone who is not a political analyst. 

Also, network....if you read these boards...please give Jonathan Lemire fewer hours.  I am sick to death of him popping up on seemingly all the shows to give "insight" and whatever else.  It has gotten so that I turn the channel when he comes on.  He has his own show.  So enough.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I caught Al Franken a few days ago on CNN.  How about him filling the 11:00 hour if the network wants to go with a pundit?  His wit alone would seem to be a nice way to end the viewing day.  I still wish the network would go with someone who is not a political analyst. 

I would love to see Al Franken again and he would be perfect for late night.

• Love 5