Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Yes, Nicolle is indeed still broadcasting from home. A loud screeching sound occurred while she was talking to her panel. She apologized, saying it was her rooster, "making himself known at the most inopportune time"! 😳😝😂🐓

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Yes, Nicolle is indeed still broadcasting from home. A loud screeching sound occurred while she was talking to her panel. She apologized, saying it was her rooster, "making himself known at the most inopportune time"! 😳😝😂🐓

I thought she lived in Manhattan. 

• Love 1

When I got up this morning, MSNBC was covering the fall of Kabul. That was the only subject they talked about, Ali Velshi and Andrea Mitchell did a good job taking the lead back and forth and interviewing guests. Mitchell looked really grave; she seemed pensive, but also disgusted and tired, especially when the topic of how women are likely to be treated by the new regime in Afghanistan was brought up. The whole mood was very somber. I watched for almost an hour and there were no commercial breaks.

In a brief check on CNN, they were talking about Andrew Cuomo's political future. 

• Love 1

MSNBC: Please do something about Ari Melber. I have been an avid watcher of his show since it started but lately I can only watch the first ten minutes and then I have to switch it off. At first his incorporation of rap/hip hop lyrics into his segments were fun and quirky. Now they’re annoying and stupid. He’s a middle age guy trying too hard to be hip and cool. Not every news story needs a rap tag line. It’s enough already. 

• Love 10

I like hard news unvarnished...just the facts.  I know every 24/7 network has a "slant" ... so one knows what to expect.  

This network, this past week, has been hysterical; Brian Williams and a few others the exception.  The "pundits" who guest have been way over-the-top.  I am tired of the dragging out of the usual dinosaurs to opine, moan, groan and wring their hands.  It is unprofessional, unbecoming and unnecessary.   We are adults...we can take bad news without the drama.  There are a few shows that have been unwatchable.    

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I like hard news unvarnished...just the facts.  I know every 24/7 network has a "slant" ... so one knows what to expect.  

This network, this past week, has been hysterical; Brian Williams and a few others the exception.  The "pundits" who guest have been way over-the-top.  I am tired of the dragging out of the usual dinosaurs to opine, moan, groan and wring their hands.  It is unprofessional, unbecoming and unnecessary.   We are adults...we can take bad news without the drama.  There are a few shows that have been unwatchable.    

It makes you appreciate newscasters like Walter Cronkite who delivered the news with  dignity and professionalism. The only time I ever saw him get a little emotional was when JFK was pronounced dead in Dallas. He took off his glasses and wiped a tear away and then continued with the news.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

It makes you appreciate newscasters like Walter Cronkite who delivered the news dignity and professionalism. The only time I ever saw him get a little emotional was when JFK was pronounced dead in Dallas. He took off his glasses and wiped a tear away and then continued with the news.

I fear those days are gone forever.  It doesn't bother me some days; but when there is terrible news, when the entire world seems to be on fire...we don't need dramatics from our news people...any of them.  They are making themselves part of the news. I am watching MSNBC less and less. It is stale and trying way too hard to get the easy ratings back that they enjoyed the last four years.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

MSNBC: Please do something about Ari Melber. I have been an avid watcher of his show since it started but lately I can only watch the first ten minutes and then I have to switch it off. At first his incorporation of rap/hip hop lyrics into his segments were fun and quirky. Now they’re annoying and stupid. He’s a middle age guy trying too hard to be hip and cool. Not every news story needs a rap tag line. It’s enough already. 

That shtick got old a long, long time ago. It is unprofessional. As I've said before, he just comes across as a middle-aged guy trying desperately to prove that he's hip. Guess what, Ari - you're not. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

That shtick got old a long, long time ago. It is unprofessional. As I've said before, he just comes across as a middle-aged guy trying desperately to prove that he's hip. Guess what, Ari - you're not. 

The last straw for me was when he inserted some Biggie Smalls rap lyric into a discussion about what's going on in Afghanistan. OMG. There is nothing sadder than seeing a middle age guy try to be the cool guy by quoting rappers ad nauseum. I'm out...not watching him anymore until he grows up.

• Love 6

I don't remember who the guest was, but a couple of weeks ago Ari tried to use the Ben Stiller movie Zoolander in one of his pop culture analogies. The guest extended that analogy citing an important plot point, and Ari jumped in to "correct" him.

Ari got his movie "facts" completely wrong. The guest was right.

I really wish they would switch him and Nicole. Occasionally I tune into his show seeking filler before sports starts at seven and I rarely last more than ten minutes.

(Full disclosure, Zoolander is one of my guilty pleasures.)

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Kemper said:

I fear those days are gone forever.  It doesn't bother me some days; but when there is terrible news, when the entire world seems to be on fire...we don't need dramatics from our news people...any of them.  They are making themselves part of the news. I am watching MSNBC less and less. It is stale and trying way too hard to get the easy ratings back that they enjoyed the last four years.

I only watch Deadline:White House on MSNBC and catch maybe the last half hour of Ari Melbin. So, I've never heard him use rap lyrics or anything like that. I pick on Nicholle at times but have to admit she hosts a very informative program Monday--Friday, thanks to some excellent guests (minus The Rev, Donnie Deutsch, and a few other folks). Are things so bad on other MSNBC programs throughout the rest of the day? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I don't remember who the guest was, but a couple of weeks ago Ari tried to use the Ben Stiller movie Zoolander in one of his pop culture analogies. The guest extended that analogy citing an important plot point, and Ari jumped in to "correct" him.

Ari got his movie "facts" completely wrong. The guest was right.

I really wish they would switch him and Nicole. Occasionally I tune into his show seeking filler before sports starts at seven and I rarely last more than ten minutes.

(Full disclosure, Zoolander is one of my guilty pleasures.)

I like the blank stares some of his guests give him when he makes rap/pop culture references, although I think some of those guests pretend they don't understand, just to see him look stupid.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Rachel got paid.

Inside the Massive MSNBC Deal Paying Maddow to Work Less

That deal will give Maddow, the highest-rated host on MSNBC, a jaw-dropping $30 million per year to keep her with the company through the 2024 election, according to four people familiar with the matter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, novhappy said:

I haven’t watched in a while but MSNBC needs to do better with breaking news. They just can’t pivot off their scripts. 

Brian Williams is the only one who seems to have the gravitas to do it; Nicole Wallace is not bad at it; Ali Velshi sometimes.  But that's about it.  novhappy you are correct - even though it is a 24/7 "news" channel, the only thing this network is capable of is politics all the time. And at this point, that has gotten pretty old.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Kemper said:

Brian Williams is the only one who seems to have the gravitas to do it; Nicole Wallace is not bad at it; Ali Velshi sometimes.  But that's about it.  novhappy you are correct - even though it is a 24/7 "news" channel, the only thing this network is capable of is politics all the time. And at this point, that has gotten pretty old.

Whenever Brian comes on due to breaking news, I switch over to CNN. On top of losing respect for him after his embellished "stories" were revealed several years ago (IMO the network should have fired his a$$), just hearing his sad sack voice along with seeing his OTT dramatic long face, infuriates me. I can't believe MSNBC doesn't have anyone else to turn to during these awful breaking news events.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 1
On 4/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'm so sick of pageant hair and unprofessional attire--on certain female TV news people. When I think of the crap that women endured in the early days (heck...the 70's & 80's even), trying to make it in broadcasting news--Barbara Walters, Jessica Savage, etc., it really bothers me to see such casual clothes. We sure don't see the men wearing anything but suits & ties.

You have obviously never watched Morning Joe; the host is rarely in a suit and most days, looks like he just rolled out of bed and put on what he was wearing the day before.  It's an insult to viewers!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

You have obviously never watched Morning Joe; the host is rarely in a suit and most days, looks like he just rolled out of bed and put on what he was wearing the day before.  It's an insult to viewers!

I envision that he'd still roll into the show like this almost 10 later if they hadn't started hosting from their bunker years ago.. This was the only version of the commercial I could find on YT with the original song in the background the NBC YT account has it with some  bland background music.

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

I envision that he'd still roll into the show like this almost 10 later if they hadn't started hosting from their bunker years ago.. This was the only version of the commercial I could find on YT with the original song in the background the NBC YT account has it with some  bland background music.

Good God almighty...🙄

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, Jaded said:

Not too far from the truth!  This was back when Joe combed his hair to the side God intended.

• Love 1
On 8/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, novhappy said:

I haven’t watched in a while but MSNBC needs to do better with breaking news. They just can’t pivot off their scripts. 

Agree. I noticed this when we tuned to them last night to see how they were reporting the hurricane. They were reporting the hurricane (so be thankful for small favors) but doing so from their patented MSNBC "angle." I.e., it was all about how the hurricane's impact on hospitals was even worse due to so many beds being taken by Covid patients because so many there are unvaccinated. I'm as pro-vaccine as anyone, but give me a break. There's a time and a place, people.

I mean, I can justify it on the basis of TPTB saying, "Everyone and their brother is covering the actual hurricane. What can we, uniquely, bring to the party?" It's not like that doesn't make sense as a rationale. But right now, if you're a news channel (or pretend to be), just tell us what's going on with the hurricane. Twisting the knife in the unvaccinated can wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 5

I guess I just don't think of MSNBC as a source for *general* news. I go to MSNBC for news about politics, policies, etc...in & outside DC (& that's important to me). For breaking news I go to CNN and/or one of our local broadcasters (CBS, NBC, or ABC). 

• Love 6

Speaking of Ari Melber, I was just watching him, and Katrina Van den Heuvel has to be the most obnoxious guest ever to grace this show. And that’s saying a lot. But her constant interruptions and talking over the more interesting guests just so she can spout her annoying platitudes of drivel just pushed me right over the edge today.

I had to mute.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 2
On 8/30/2021 at 9:35 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Agree. I noticed this when we tuned to them last night to see how they were reporting the hurricane. They were reporting the hurricane (so be thankful for small favors) but doing so from their patented MSNBC "angle." I.e., it was all about how the hurricane's impact on hospitals was even worse due to so many beds being taken by Covid patients because so many there are unvaccinated. I'm as pro-vaccine as anyone, but give me a break. There's a time and a place, people.

I mean, I can justify it on the basis of TPTB saying, "Everyone and their brother is covering the actual hurricane. What can we, uniquely, bring to the party?" It's not like that doesn't make sense as a rationale. But right now, if you're a news channel (or pretend to be), just tell us what's going on with the hurricane. Twisting the knife in the unvaccinated can wait until tomorrow.

msnbc “The Place For Politics”is what they’ve called themselves for as long as I’ve been watching (over a decade).

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, jenkait said:

msnbc “The Place For Politics”is what they’ve called themselves for as long as I’ve been watching (over a decade).

Interesting! I believe you, but I have to say I don't recall that slogan. (FWIW, their website doesn't contain it.) I do remember (vaguely) some other slogans. "Lean In," or something like that. "See What We're Made Of," or something like that. 

• Love 3

MSNBC may have billed themselves as "the place for politics" at one time.  But underneath it all is that it is a 24/7 news channel.  We have come to a place in time where we are exhausted by politics all the time; this network needs some actual "news" gravitas.  Otherwise CNN will always be the network that most MSNBC viewers will turn to when there is breaking news.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Interesting! I believe you, but I have to say I don't recall that slogan. (FWIW, their website doesn't contain it.) I do remember (vaguely) some other slogans. "Lean In," or something like that. "See What We're Made Of," or something like that. 

Yes, it’s been years probably! If you google it a bunch of things come up (if you’re interested).  Maybe they stopped using it because it wasn’t quite accurate. “The place for news, heavy on politics.” isn't quite as snappy lol.

I see “Lean In” was like a decade ago! 

• Love 4

I know they’ve tried to become The Place for Politics but that’s not always news. News is what is happening currently in the world. I’d they are going to do breaking news then do it well. Bring in anchors that can handle it, affiliates that can get video and live shots. Or just continue with politics and let news channels do news. The Food network does not try to do breaking news for a reason. 
CNN did a great job with the hurricane. I wish they would drop the opinion and talk politics shows- just be straight news. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, novhappy said:

CNN did a great job with the hurricane. I wish they would drop the opinion and talk politics shows- just be straight news. 

They could do that--use HLN for opinion shows, and cover general news only on CNN. Gosh, I really don't care for Jake Tapper. That nasally voice is as irritating to me as Wolf's drone. 

• Love 2

Brian Williams' interview with George Will (about his new book) was hilarious.  They were talking about (I think) Repubs deserting Trump & Brian said "They folded faster than the Afgan Army!"  George laughed & so did I.  There was another zinger that won't come to mind, but Brian's wit is the reason I love to watch his show.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, rcc said:

Hallie Jackson takes over the 3:00 pm ET show.

Then I wonder who takes over the 10 am slot (I just checked my guide, it just says MSNBC Reports and no other info available). Anyway, I watched Ayman's new show last night and enjoyed it. How could it not be with Michael Steele, Dean Obeidallah and Hannah Hong appearing in an extended panel segment? 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Then I wonder who takes over the 10 am slot (I just checked my guide, it just says MSNBC Reports and no other info available). Anyway, I watched Ayman's new show last night and enjoyed it. How could it not be with Michael Steele, Dean Obeidallah and Hannah Hong appearing in an extended panel segment? 

Jose Diaz-Balart takes over the 10 am slot.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, catlover79 said:

It seems that almost everyone is back in studio, given by the wide and sometimes panning camera angles. There are not many in studio guests as yet, but even just the camera angles and the hosts occasionally standing is refreshing.

(Smacks head!) I wondered why, at the start of each Deadline:White House segment yesterday, they showed Nicolle looking at the 3 screens of her guests. So, she's back in the studio. I can't wait until her guests are as well (altho' it must be cheaper & easier interviewing via zoom).

• Love 3

Today, Morning Joe was back in the studio; but I know that this will not be an everyday thing for these hosts.  I have noticed that when the shows, any of them, go back to the studio there is an entirely different feel.  Everyone seems more engaged, no matter if the guests are there or via Zoom. Even having just one guest present makes a difference.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Today, Morning Joe was back in the studio; but I know that this will not be an everyday thing for these hosts.  I have noticed that when the shows, any of them, go back to the studio there is an entirely different feel.  Everyone seems more engaged, no matter if the guests are there or via Zoom. Even having just one guest present makes a difference.

Yup...and it will be even better with the guests sitting around the table (wonder when/if that will happen again--thinking of Deadline White House). I'm weary of looking at the staged background decors. But, better ye ol' mantelpiece or bookcase than no guests at all.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3