Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 5/23/2020 at 12:26 PM, HyeChaps said:

I have it on very good authority that the network is having a spectacular new space in downtown DC prepared, but current events have prevented the move.

It feels like MSNBC put a lot of emphasis on in studio discussion between the hosts and interviewees/pundits. Does that make sense in the pandemic world? Will someone like Claire McCaskill still fly in for a couple of day's worth of spots? Do regulars who used to live in DC/NY but moved out after they became hotspots return? Now that everybody has setups that allow them to participate from home, it would seem that the cost/benefit analysis for studio visits may have changed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 9:59 PM, Kemper said:

It almost seems as if the Network is in flux; waiting for I don't know what.

Friday night we tuned into Rachel and she announced at the top of the show that she'd be on for 90 minutes! No explanation. She didn't seem to understand why either, and what she did say was almost like desperately holding up a note that said "Help, the wheels have come off this place!"

I was thinking, "This can't be how management wanted her to serve up the change." Good for her!

We only intended to watch the first few minutes anyway so I don't know what happened in the remaining half hour of what would have been Lawrence's slot.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

We only intended to watch the first few minutes anyway so I don't know what happened in the remaining half hour of what would have been Lawrence's slot.

Brian Williams' show started a half hour earlier.  Great show!!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Brian Williams' show started a half hour earlier.  Great show!!!

Interesting. If the reason was that Lawrence couldn't do his hour and they couldn't find a substitute, Rachel gave off the distinct impression that nobody explained that to her!

• Love 3
On 5/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, tres bien said:

Why does Katy Tur have to share her hour with Chuck Todd? 😠

No kidding! He dominates without adding any value while she patiently waits to say anything. 

• Love 2

I mentioned to MrP914 tonight that Joy will be taking over the 7:00 PM slot.  His reaction was not good. He thinks she's "a smart-a$$ and is snarky in a mean, condescending way". Guess he won't be watching her show. I'm basically done with the news/opinion shows by 7 PM anyway so it won't make any difference to me.  Still hoping Katy Tur gets the 5 PM slot. I wonder what's going on there (and with Chuck seeming to take over her show at 2:00 PM--is that still going on?)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Has Joy's 7:00 hosting job been made official by MSNBC?    

I don't think so. All the stories I'm seeing are "reports say..." but I've seen enough of them that if it wasn't happening, someone would have said something by now.

• Love 1
On 3/19/2020 at 2:51 PM, gatopretoNYC said:

Screenshot_2020-03-19-14-42-08.png

Yikes.

Update!

Craig's wife, Lindsay Czarniak, is a sports reporter. I saw her conducting interviews today from the same room and their setup is much improved. Better camera, better lighting and she's not wedged into a corner.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Update!

Craig's wife, Lindsay Czarniak, is a sports reporter. I saw her conducting interviews today from the same room and their setup is much improved. Better camera, better lighting and she's not wedged into a corner.

Lindsey used to be our local NBC sports anchor (hated to see her leave--she was very good). I hope they switched rooms for their interviews. That wallpaper hurts!!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, xaxat said:

Update!

When I saw that ugly wallpaper, I was LOL....she & Craig using the same room.  Lindsay was interviewing NASCAR drivers while there was a rain delay...

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just saw where Joy Reid at 7:00 is official.

I see that Joy is getting lots of Congratulations on Twitter, including Dan Rather, Soledad O'Brien, & Chris Matthews himself..

• Love 1

Press release about Joy Reid's new show:

From the linked release:

NEW YORK (July 9, 2020) – MSNBC anchor Joy Reid has been named host of “The ReidOut,” a new weeknight evening program at 7 p.m. ET that will premiere Monday, July 20 on MSNBC.

The Washington, D.C.-based show will feature one-on-one conversations with politicians and newsmakers while addressing provocative political issues both inside and outside of the beltway. Reid, who is also a best-selling author and public speaker, joined MSNBC in 2011 as a contributor. Drawing from her decades-long experience in politics, passion for addressing the intersection of race, justice and culture, as well as her signature tenacious interviewing style, Reid will kick off MSNBC’s primetime lineup by delving into American politics as it unfolds. Tina Urbanski will serve as the Executive Producer.

Urbanski was a co-executive producer for Hardball.  From a January 2018 THR article (presumably based on a press release):

Urbanski is getting bumped up from senior producer to co-executive producer, with Court Harson, of Hardball with Chris Matthews. She began her career at the network as Matthews' assistant and rose the ranks.

Urbanski replaced a previous co-executive producer, Ann Klenk, who retired from NBC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think MSNBC has a great set of regular commentators who have wonderful home backdrops, whether elaborate or understated.  Probably not a "business" topic, but I find myself looking forward to some of the home locations as much as the specific commentators!   

• Love 3
22 hours ago, freddi said:

I think MSNBC has a great set of regular commentators who have wonderful home backdrops, whether elaborate or understated.  Probably not a "business" topic, but I find myself looking forward to some of the home locations as much as the specific commentators!   

The pets are gone. I bet some mean ol' PTB put the kibosh on that (although over on PBS news, William's cat snuck back into the room a few days ago and fell asleep on the couch--go kitty!) It's been fascinating checking out reporters' homes (kitchens, libraries, living rooms). We need some interesting distractions these days while we're inundated with gloomy, discouraging news night after night.

• Love 5

I wonder if the network will have a reaction to Mika B's very public Twitter fit about her husband's time-off/out this week.  It was unprofessional and embarrassing.  I also saw where there may be more probing into Joy Reid's past comments.  I thought that one had been resolved.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

I wonder if the network will have a reaction to Mika B's very public Twitter fit about her husband's time-off/out this week.  It was unprofessional and embarrassing.  I also saw where there may be more probing into Joy Reid's past comments.  I thought that one had been resolved.  

Hmmm...the honeymoon may be over.

Re: Joy Reid's offensive comments about LGBTQ people? She's lucky she didn't get fired (but considering today's mood against slurs, this issue may not be resolved).

Steve Kornacki explaining polls. Yes we are adults and know what 3/10 of a percent is. It does not need three explanations and you waving your arms back and forth. 

Jesus. Calm down. 

I'm sure Steve's a lovely guy but it's just a bit much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 7/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Re: Joy Reid's offensive comments about LGBTQ people? She's lucky she didn't get fired (but considering today's mood against slurs, this issue may not be resolved).

Guess they didn't care, she got the 7 pm gig.  

• Love 2

I just saw on Mediaite where Chuck Todd is moving to 1:00 daily; Nicole Wallace will be on from 4-6, taking over Chuck's old slot at 5.  Katy Tur is staying at 2:00.  So glad Niclole W is getting two hours and that Chuck will no longer be on at 5.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've really tried with Joy Reid, but she's just toooooo much!!!

Never liked her and don't plan on watching her at 7 p.m. Will watch Shep Smith on CNBC next month same timeslot.

• Love 3

Here's the Variety article that broke the news about MSNBC's afternoon schedule shuffle:  Chuck Todd Expands to Streaming as MSNBC Overhauls Afternoons (EXCLUSIVE)

Outside of Meet The Press, it sounds like Todd will be focusing more on digital/streaming, hence the move to an earlier time slot for his weekday program.

Starting in September, Todd will launch a weekly political program on both live-streaming outlet NBC News Now as well as NBCUniversal’s Peacock streaming-video hub, just in time to dovetail with what is likely to be rising interest in the 2020 presidential election. Todd will also start anchoring pre- and post-event programming around big political-news nights, starting with the Democratic and Republican conventions later this month, and, in coming weeks, around debates and Election Night. NBC News plans to create an additional production team for the anchor’s streaming initiatives.

The article is a bit unclear about Todd's new anchoring responsibilities, but presumably it will be for NBC News Now.

The article also had some comparative ad revenue details for MSNBC versus CNN and FNC:

MSNBC’s 2020 ad revenue is seen falling to $672.4 million from $728.9 million in the previous year, according to market-research firm Kagan, part of S&P Global Marketing Intelligence. The network is seen capturing more advertising than CNN this year – $619.2 million – but less than Fox News Channel, which is predicted to take in more than $1.16 billion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I kind of like Joy. She's not someone I can watch daily though. That's why viewing her weekend show worked better. I still miss Melissa Harris Perry.

I don't know why MSNBC and NBC in general seems to have so much confidence in Chuck Toad's abilities. He's one of the last people I've ever been interested in watching on the network alongside with Alex Witt. Did they reduce her hours? I actually watched off and on most of Saturday but didn't see her. I'm not sure if I remember anyone saying they were filling in for her either.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 5
On 8/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Kemper said:

I just saw on Mediaite where Chuck Todd is moving to 1:00 daily; Nicole Wallace will be on from 4-6, taking over Chuck's old slot at 5.  Katy Tur is staying at 2:00.  So glad Niclole W is getting two hours and that Chuck will no longer be on at 5.  

Wow, thanks for this -- and a welcome change for those hours.  Nicolle Wallace has great guests from all perspectives, and has real conversations, not regurgitated positions.  Hope these changes are soon, and will go read the article.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, freddi said:

Wow, thanks for this -- and a welcome change for those hours.  Nicole Wallace has great guests from all perspectives, and has real conversations, not regurgitated positions.  Hope these changes are soon, and will go read the article.  

Nicolle's guests are the reason I watch Deadline:White House every day.  The Jonathans (Lemaire & Swan) are two of my favorites.  They always seem to know stuff. 

• Love 8
On 8/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, Kemper said:

Does anyone know when this schedule will start?  I'll be glad to see the toad moved from 5:00 PM but was hoping Katy would take over that show. I'm just not ready to hear the depressing news at 2:00 each day.

• Love 1

The hurricane provided Chris Jansing with two slots (that I saw, who knows how much more) today -- she lives near the studios, which was a really smart choice.  Nicolle Wallace had her electrical power or internet knocked down.  Jansing even noted how empty the studio was, between the virus and the hurricane.   And although Jansing said that Chuck would be on next (not the show, but Chuck himself), but then it was Katy Tur for MTP.    

Edited by freddi
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, freddi said:

The hurricane provided Chris Jansing with two slots (that I saw, who knows how much more) today -- she lives near the studios, which was a really smart choice.  Nicolle Wallace had her electrical power or internet knocked down.  Jansing even noted how empty the studio was, between the virus and the hurricane.   And although Jansing said that Chuck would be on next (not the show, but Chuck himself), but then it was Katy Tur for MTP.    

I remain highly impressed by a show like Deadline:White House, interviewing guests via Zoom, in their homes.  It has become so natural to me now that when the day arrives when guests & host are together in the studio again, I know I'll be a bit sad not to see the various backdrop rooms in their homes....along with the occasional forbidden pet🐺

• Love 6

Jeffrey Toobin, he of the perpetual smirk.  

However, yesterday Nicole Wallace took my breath away.  Exceeded herself beyond belief as she COULDN'T STOP SMILING EVEN WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE BEIRUT EXPLOSION.  I swear to you, it was positively sociopathic.  Check out the video if you don't believe me!

• Love 1

I'd be interested to know from the Variety article whether all the news channels had a drop in revenue over year ago, or just MSNBC. It doesn't say. And if all did, did some drop more than others. It doesn't say that, either.

If all did, it could be Covid related. Or it could be related to things that were in the news last year (which turned people into news junkies at a whole new level) that weren't in the news this year.

• Love 2

I'm sick of always having to read about Fox Newz leading the pack in ratings & ad revenue. The mainstream news outlets have to share a mix of viewers whereas Fox only attracts a certain ideological group. If the nonFox viewers only had one news outlet to watch, that outlet would leave Fox in the dust. So it really isn't a true evaluation. OK...I'm done venting.

• Love 10

I saw on Mediate yesterday that Morning Joe won it's time slot on Tuesday; what I wonder is if it was this past Tuesday or last Tuesday.  Were both hosts on?  I am petty.

• LOL 2

I just saw that NBC is conducting layoffs--something like "just under 3%". It said broadcaster & cable so that would include MSNBC. The producer of the 9 AM Today show, Jane Levin, got a buy out. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 2

God how I miss Walter Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley and the good old days when there were three networks.  We were a relatively united country in this respect.  Now with the migraine-inducing, blood-pressure climbing 24/7 news cycle, all these separate news channels, combined with the rise of social media, are preaching to their individual choirs, and, imo, creating deep divisions in this country, as if we didn't have enough already.  

I know we can't return to the past.  I'm very sad about this.

• Love 8

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the AM Joy spot.

There have been a couple of good subs, Zerlina Maxwell and Tiffany Cross. But it would be way more interesting if MSNBC could find a WOC who is similar to Nicolle Wallace. 

I was even thinking how about you take Yasmin out of that looser 5 am spot and let her takeover. 

At 5 am if there is any Breaking News  they can call Kier Simmons in London and let him cover the story. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 2
On 8/7/2020 at 4:42 PM, Bronx Babe said:

imo, creating deep divisions in this country, as if we didn't have enough already.  

So, a producer at MSNBC recently quit because she felt the same way. It's a fascinating read, and is exactly why the only TV news I consume is a few minutes of Headline News in the mornings to see if there's anything I actually need to know about going on. 

On 8/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'm sick of always having to read about Fox Newz leading the pack in ratings & ad revenue.

It's all about money. The link I posted is from a person with MSNBC experience, but what she's saying applies evenly to almost all news sources. All of this stuff is slanted heavily towards what will generate ratings and revenue. 

On 8/7/2020 at 4:42 PM, Bronx Babe said:

I know we can't return to the past.  I'm very sad about this.

It makes me upset as well. I don't think we can return to the past, but I don't believe this is a permanent problem either. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1