Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

For the longest time, I thought the "MS" in MSNBC stood for "must see". At the time MSNBC was launched, the parent network's motto was "must see TV". It took forever before I learned that it stood for Microsoft. 😝😂

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4

I am forever complaining that on the weekends, MSNBC and "Dateline" are ridiculous if they really want to make themselves the news center of cable news.  But they finally got themselves into gear on Sunday the 3rd, and hauled out many regular daytime guests across the day and evening to address the news of the Georgia phone call.  These new evening weekend hosts, although newer to hosting breaking news, have been doing a great job dealing with actual news as it has been happening and dealing with high-level guests they have not previously hosted.   So glad MSNBC let the regular hosts carry this story, rather than tracking down Brian Williams, as they have done too many times in the past couple of years.  (Although, Brian's daily nightly show has really become very reliable.  I just think the stable of well-qualified quarterbacks is up for big breaking stories.)  

• Love 6

As I am watching the network coverage of today’s protest, the ineptitude of Chuck Todd to handle any kind of breaking news is glaring and terrible.  He owes Katy Tur a debt of gratitude for her professionalism and ability to handle this historic news day basically by herself.

So I need to ask ... what does he do so well that ensures his continued, well-paid employment.

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Kudos to the reporters who worked the Hill and inside the Capitol. They managed to do a great job reporting a dangerous and unsettling situation.

Absolutely.  And some were in clearly dangerous situations, walking backward and filming while in harm's way of what they were recording.  Katy did ask some very necessary questions (not all were answered) while Chuck was trying to find his best camera angle.   

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

As I am watching the network coverage of today’s protest, the ineptitude of Chuck Todd to handle any kind of breaking news is glaring and terrible.  He owes Katy Tur a debt of gratitude for her professionalism and ability to handle this historic news day basically by herself.

So I need to ask ... what does he do so well that ensures his continued, well-paid employment.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I felt my body sort of physically unclench when coverage handed over to Brian, Nicole and Rachel.  I’m no big Brian Williams fan but at least they all make sense when they speak. 

• Love 8

I'm hoping Rashida Jones the new boss in town at MSNBC will eventually be able to get rid of the Toad at least. The outgoing guy Phil Griffin seemed to protect people like Toad and Scarborough. I couldn't imagine why that would be though...🙄

• Love 9

I woke up at the crack of dawn the other day & decided to see what's on TV at such a miserable time of day. Wow! Kasie looks fabulous...very sleek. No pageant hair, no sundress (not that she ever sported such a look). Sounds like they're still having fun being on so early--she asked viewers, near the end of the show, why they're watching so early in the morning. Hopefully, when her baby is a bit older, Kasie will be able to return to her KC DC show.

• Love 3

Chuck must have blown out his vocal cords during this week's coverage because his voice was very hoarse this morning on MTP. I think everyone did a great job with the coverage this week, especially Yasmin V. The split screen of her reporting outside the Capitol and today narrating the events was pretty chilling. I don't know how she was able to keep her composure, but my hat's off to her.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 1

I see where both CNN and Fox have announced new lineups for anchoring/reporting.  I wonder if MSNBC will shake things up or keep what they have.  Their ratings are pretty good.  But when there is breaking news, CNN is still the go-to for a lot of people.  We saw that last week with Chuck Todd and maybe a couple of others who are "reporters" and anchors but are ill-prepared to handle a huge, breaking news story.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

It was sad watching Andrea Mitchell today.  She kept acting befuddled and like she forgot what questions she was going to ask the panelists.  It's time for her to retire.  

I noticed that, too.  It was jarring...and sad.

• Love 7

I don't watch her show because she's always annoyed me a bit especially when she'd always be showing her arms off. I went to look at a clip from today and was shocked to see her in a top along with a jacket. It sounds like she needs to take a hint from Barbra Walters departure from the business.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

It was sad watching Andrea Mitchell today.  She kept acting befuddled and like she forgot what questions she was going to ask the panelists.  It's time for her to retire.  

Chris Matthews was way past his retirement date but kept working until he was forced to leave. That's not going to happen to Andrea Mitchell but I have to wonder why these news media folks insist on continuing to work despite being over 65. Over at PBS, Judy Woodruff has had some moments (recently she had a weird coughing spell and they finally went to a different story--they didn't get back to her that night). Those are hard jobs, jumping from one topic to another, interviews, needing to remember names, date of events, the latest information, etc.  I've noticed it's tough enough on the younger anchors/hosts.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Dear MSNBC

Don't think your habit of parachuting in Brian and Chuck to host shows normally hosted by women (Stephanie, Katie etc.) has gone unoticed.

xaxat

Thank you -- I was thinking the same thing, as I watched Chuck Todd fumble and saw Stephanie Ruhle contribute in a subsidiary way in HER OWN hour.  I mean, they knew this hearing was scheduled -- it is not as though they had to run down the halls looking for an available anchor.  Oh, and Stephanie would have been available because:  it is her hour.  

• Love 6

I liked Jason Johnson subbing for Nicolle Wallace in the first hour of her show today.  He's really good as a host, and if he's interested I wish he could replace Tiffany Cross on Saturday morning.  She seems nice but her voice sounds like she's sucking helium and I can't stand to listen to her.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I liked Jason Johnson subbing for Nicolle Wallace in the first hour of her show today.  He's really good as a host, and if he's interested I wish he could replace Tiffany Cross on Saturday morning.  She seems nice but her voice sounds like she's sucking helium and I can't stand to listen to her.

My thoughts exactly, on both counts.

• Love 3

You would think that networks would realize that just because someone is an excellent guest, that doesn’t mean they can host and carry an entire show.  Those are two completely different skill sets.

And.  Since CNN and even Fox have announced anchor changes, and MSNBC has not - will programming and personnel stay the same in the coming year? I am begging the network to just keep Chuck on Sunday’s Meet the Press and not have him doing any anchoring during the week.  

• Love 7

I had been concerned because Nicolle Wallace has been away last Friday and Monday, but it sounds like she was charging up for inauguration coverage. 

Brian Williams will be co-hosting her show on Tuesday as Biden arrives in DC, why?  Is that too strenuous for her to handle?  Or does having Brian there make it Important?  Sheesh, TPTB, the weekday women anchors of MSNBC are extremely capable, professionally incisive, and even sharply funny.  

But I’m glad she was just on a long weekend.  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, freddi said:

Brian Williams will be co-hosting her show on Tuesday as Biden arrives in DC, why?  Is that too strenuous for her to handle?  Or does having Brian there make it Important?  Sheesh, TPTB, the weekday women anchors of MSNBC are extremely capable, professionally incisive, and even sharply funny. 

And BW, of all "co-hosts". I'm hoping the new president of MSNBC will persuade him to retire.

BW took charge when Eddie Glaude talked about his friend that died yesterday of Covid. This after the emotional memorial. Nicole was sniffling in the background. I like Brian and Nicole together. Both strong broadcasters with heart.

• Love 10

MSNBC, you slay me, you really do.  The pardons started to leak in the final four minutes of Brian’s show, midnight ET, so he went over a minute or two, then handed off to Katy Tur for live coverage, instead of Rachel’s repeat.  Fine.

Then they got Peter Baker out of his pajamas to go back on the air, found Joyce Vance and other A-listers, who spent the hour waiting for the full list to appear.  Fine.  Good talks.  

Katy got the full list three minutes before the end of the hour, scrolled through her phone and read out some names, and apologized for looking down at her phone.  Fine.

THEN SHE cheerfully said we were invited to watch a repeat of Joy’s interview with Pelosi, which had aired three hours earlier.  THEY CUT AWAY to a repeat of a pre-taped show!  NOOOOO, MSNBC, *not* fine at all!  We all went running to CNN!  

ETA: They reran the Katy Tur hour, so two hours later, she talked for sixty minutes about “we’re waiting for the list,” while CNN had spent two hours going through the list.  All we’ve been hearing all week is “we’re on pardon watch, waitin’ for the pardon list, yup, we are on high alert.”

Unless the timing was inconvenient, I guess.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, freddi said:

MSNBC, you slay me, you really do.  The pardons started to leak in the final four minutes of Brian’s show, midnight ET, so he went over a minute or two, then handed off to Katy Tur for live coverage, instead of Rachel’s repeat.  Fine.

Then they got Peter Baker out of his pajamas to go back on the air, found Joyce Vance and other A-listers, who spent the hour waiting for the full list to appear.  Fine.  Good talks.  

Katy got the full list three minutes before the end of the hour, scrolled through her phone and read out some names, and apologized for looking down at her phone.  Fine.

THEN SHE cheerfully said we were invited to watch a repeat of Joy’s interview with Pelosi, which had aired three hours earlier.  THEY CUT AWAY to a repeat of a pre-taped show!  NOOOOO, MSNBC, *not* fine at all!  We all went running to CNN!  

ETA: They reran the Katy Tur hour, so two hours later, she talked for sixty minutes about “we’re waiting for the list,” while CNN had spent two hours going through the list.  All we’ve been hearing all week is “we’re on pardon watch, waitin’ for the pardon list, yup, we are on high alert.”

Unless the timing was inconvenient, I guess.  

And this is why most people tune in to CNN for breaking news.  MSNBC is way too in love with it's anchors; leave Brian Williams and his show on; or whatever show was on, live, to cover this breaking (historic) news.  Heads should roll for whoever made this decision.  Sorry, but I am not a Joy Reid fan (I like her, though) but I understand an interview with Nancy Pelosi is a huge "get" .... but why on earth would anyone want to watch a rerun of it instead of historic news that is happening in real time.  Huge huge error in judgement, network.

• Love 8

The White House daily press briefings appear to be headed for a 4:00 time most days, so that will regularly wipe out Nicolle Wallace's first hour -- her show had been expanded back in August, so no one could have known that we would move into a world of regular briefings -- but now it is good to know that we still will be able to see some of her show in that second hour.  It must be very disruptive for scheduling guests, though, and she gets good regular guests for full conversations, not just talking points.  

I had not heard Andrea Mitchell stumble (as some here had mentioned previously), but she was struggling to remember names of agencies this morning.  I do tend to want to give her a break, but she might need an actual break.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Really? Every week day at 4:00 a press briefing? I'm not a happy camper cause I've enjoyed watching Deadline White House starting at 4. We don't need a briefing every day.

Well, they say there will be daily briefings, but Friday’s briefing was around two hours earlier, so it hit a different show.  

The Obama administration had frequent press briefings, but MSNBC tended to cut away if there was not urgent news.  Right now, they are like pouring water on parched earth, so still a novelty.  

• Love 10
On 1/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Crashcourse said:

How does one delete ^^^^? I started to write a response several days ago and then didn't. Now this keeps appearing.

Katy Tur announced she's expecting a little girl (in May, I think). So Teddy will soon be a big brother ☺️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just saw Callie Jackson doing a commercial/announcement where she appears to be saying she will have a different show or some such coming.  I was checking email so was not paying enough attention.  Did anyone else see this?

Sorry, Hallie Jackson.

Edited by Kemper
Got the name wrong.
On 1/27/2021 at 5:45 AM, Kemper said:

I just saw Callie Jackson doing a commercial/announcement where she appears to be saying she will have a different show or some such coming.  I was checking email so was not paying enough attention.  Did anyone else see this?

Sorry, Hallie Jackson.

Funny, I heard [something, something] about her change of situation, and wondered later what it was.  Your question prompted me to look it up:  "Current chief White House correspondent Hallie Jackson will shift to a new role as senior Washington correspondent, and will also supplement her current MSNBC hour with a new streaming show for NBC News Now and Peacock."  

Not overly dramatic, but I know it is meaningful in the network.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Look who the anchor is... 

Brian Williams was the first anchor when MSNBC launched in July 1996. In the middle of his third show, July 17, he broke the news of the loss of TWA Flight 800, and stayed on throughout the night leading coverage of the crash.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Brian Williams was the first anchor when MSNBC launched in July 1996. In the middle of his third show, July 17, he broke the news of the loss of TWA Flight 800, and stayed on throughout the night leading coverage of the crash.

I kind of remember that. I started watching MSNBC from the beginning pretty much. There's a lot I don't remember about it until I see clips that spark my memory.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Bonnie Hunt & I love Brian Williams, no matter what!!  After all the lying we've heard the last few years, his exaggeration of an event seems really petty to hang onto.  Just sayin'!!!

Petty? Not when the exaggerator is a newsman. We really need to have trust in our news people.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Petty? Not when the exaggerator is a newsman. We really need to have trust in our news people.

I totally understand how you feel, but Brian's lie was exaggerating an incident in his private life & who among us doesn't know someone who is prone to embellishing "a good story"???

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I totally understand how you feel, but Brian's lie was exaggerating an incident in his private life & who among us doesn't know someone who is prone to embellishing "a good story"???

I thought it was something to do with being shot at while on assignment in Iraq--but maybe that was Hillary!

43 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I thought it was something to do with being shot at while on assignment in Iraq--but maybe that was Hillary!

That was Brian Williams. I seem to recall he embellished several stories of events he encountered on the job.

• Love 1