Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I wouldn’t mind if Joy Reid got the Hardball slot, but IIRC, she does have that college teaching gig during the week, so that wouldn’t happen until June at the earliest. That Saturday morning slot is a great place for grooming fresh up-and-coming show hosts and then promoting them to weekday prime time or adjacent.

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I loved that last sentence.  MSNBC and NBC will not tolerate any inappropriate behavior. Uh-hunh.  Re: Smith, Reid and Kornacki?  I think they need to look beyond these three (& not Brian Williams!)

This. Can they stop shuffling the chairs around the deck?

• Love 2

How about Stephanie Reuhl (sp) on Hardball.   She's a tough interrogator.  (Yes, she interrupts, but she doesn't spit).   And my dream host for Meet The Press is Rachel.  She's calm, well informed, intellectually curious.   She could still do her weeknight show; Chuck does both gigs now, and he cannot do either of them well.   She could.  Plus, a Rachel promotion to MTP would drive Joe Scarborough absolutely nuts.   Win/win.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, freddi said:

Well, they did not waste any time making this change (not even a transition).  Apparently they let him make his own announcement, then went to break -- then the show.

This will be very hard for him, but it is past time.  No, this "retirement" was not voluntary.  

Letting him make his own announcement was clearly part of "the conversation." He must have said, "I'll go, and I won't hold you up for a severance package even though this is a retirement and not a firing--but you gotta let me say goodbye on the air. You owe me that." And they decided they did owe him that. And I'm glad that's the way it went.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Letting him make his own announcement was clearly part of "the conversation." He must have said, "I'll go, and I won't hold you up for a severance package even though this is a retirement and not a firing--but you gotta let me say goodbye on the air. You owe me that." And they decided they did owe him that. And I'm glad that's the way it went.

If I were his boss at MSNBC, I would've said, "No. You're now officially retired". He could have gone on the air that night and pulled a Howard Beale. He'd certainly been acting strange enough, IMO. Oh well, I'm still burning my brain trying to think of a suitable replacement. I should be getting paid for the amount of effort I'm putting into this ☺️

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I don't know if I'm onboard with Joy on HB.   I like her, and she's definitely a hardworking, dedicated MSNBC employee.   But sometimes she gets so ramped up about a subject she starts speaking a mile a minute, with her voice edging up higher and higher.....reminds me too much of Chris.  I''m already too agitated about the state of, well, everything now.   I don't need the hosts making things worse.  

• Love 6

Ya know, they hired Joshua Johnson a few months ago and I have yet to see him on the air (although maybe I've just missed him).  He could do Hardball.  He's used to having a daily show and he's smart and...calm. 

• Useful 1

How about something radical - like turning the 7:00 hour into a true news hour?  Cover stories from all over the world, not just the US...you have an entire hour.  Weather/climate, medical, political, natural disasters, etc.  Yes, politics in our country, too.  This is where CNN has an advantage - they are excellent with hard news; something I hardly ever see on MSNBC.  And apparently Brian Williams is the only able person who can cover these types of things because they always bring him in.  Did any of these anchors take journalism classes?  

I am exhausted by 24/7 political coverage, even in an election year.  The 7:00 hour would be an excellent time to try something different.  Maybe bring someone in from PBS, NPR, CNN World news, etc.  The network may bring in some new viewers (or maybe it will crash and burn) who could stay around for the 8:00 hour and beyond.

• Love 7

When Chris retired,  he may have taken the cameraman with him. 

Thirty minutes into the show with no name,  again anchored by Kornacki,  he's at the Big Board.  The camera can't keep up with him. It's absolutely crazy.

• LOL 2

At this point I am sick and tired of most all of the hosts and reporters on this network.  I like 90% of them but I am just exhausted by them.  How about bringing in a fresh face, even if the network continues its politics-all-the-time.  I would welcome someone new.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We watched MTP Daily this evening & wow! Katy Tur looked so professional & attractive. Maybe she's letting TPTB know she can dress up & look like *she* should be the host of this show. Go Katy!

Much better than Chuck Todd. Can't stand him.

• Love 4
On 3/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Kemper said:

At this point I am sick and tired of most all of the hosts and reporters on this network.  I like 90% of them but I am just exhausted by them.  How about bringing in a fresh face, even if the network continues its politics-all-the-time.  I would welcome someone new.  

Hmmm...well I thought I wanted someone new but have rather quickly changed my mind about one newcomer. Joshua Johnson was on Deadline:White House today and while listening to him expound on what the Democratic Party needs to look like, I felt as if I was being blown into the next room. He needs to dial it back. I was mentally exhausted when he finally shut up. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...well I thought I wanted someone new but have rather quickly changed my mind about one newcomer. Joshua Johnson was on Deadline:White House today and while listening to him expound on what the Democratic Party needs to look like, I felt as if I was being blown into the next room. He needs to dial it back. I was mentally exhausted when he finally shut up. 

I saw him a couple days ago and I had to change the channel.  The people sitting around the desk with him looked at him like he was deranged.  And I'm sorry but that haircut is stupid looking.

• Love 4
On 3/5/2020 at 6:46 PM, Kemper said:

How about something radical - like turning the 7:00 hour into a true news hour?  Cover stories from all over the world, not just the US...you have an entire hour.  Weather/climate, medical, political, natural disasters, etc.

What a fantastic idea.   So then, I'm sure TPTB have never thought of it.   That 7 pm hour would be a great place for a breather from 24/7 politics, as much as love my politics.   They wouldn't even need a permanent host.   Just revolve the ones they have already.    Ohhhhh, no that you've mentioned it, I'm going to be so mad/sad when they don't do it, since we can't have nice things.

Just now, Ladyrain said:

What a fantastic idea.   So then, I'm sure TPTB have never thought of it.   That 7 pm hour would be a great place for a breather from 24/7 politics, as much as love my politics.   They wouldn't even need a permanent host.   Just revolve the ones they have already.    Ohhhhh, now that you've mentioned it, I'm going to be so mad/sad when they don't do it, since we can't have nice things.

• Love 3

They've been showing the anchors broadcasting from home due to social distancing.  Today they showed Craig Melvin from a room in his home and the walls had awful-looking wallpaper.  It looked like zebra stripes.

• LOL 4
21 hours ago, Ohwell said:

They've been showing the anchors broadcasting from home due to social distancing.  Today they showed Craig Melvin from a room in his home and the walls had awful-looking wallpaper.  It looked like zebra stripes.

I only saw the last ten minutes of Rachel last night, so I missed it if she explained at the beginning, but she didn't look the same. And (God forbid) there were moments when she seemed a little short of breath. Stay well, Rachel, we need you!

2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I only saw the last ten minutes of Rachel last night, so I missed it if she explained at the beginning, but she didn't look the same. And (God forbid) there were moments when she seemed a little short of breath. Stay well, Rachel, we need you!

no need to worry; she and Brian Williams both mentioned that their programs are piloting broadcasting from "satellite studios" so they can ensure programming will continue should more drastic measures be taken in NYC .  Brian looked ashen which made sense once he explained he wasn't on the normal set.  So I don't know if they have abandoned most of 30 Rock or not but you can see behind the daytime anchors there is hardly anyone in the live newsroom.  I don't know if that means all of MSNBC would broadcast from these studio(s) in that emergency situation or just certain programs.  I could also see some people relocating to less-affected bureaus to broadcast.  Who knows right now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, Ohwell said:

They've been showing the anchors broadcasting from home due to social distancing.  Today they showed Craig Melvin from a room in his home and the walls had awful-looking wallpaper.  It looked like zebra stripes.

9 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Screenshot_2020-03-19-14-42-08.png

Yikes.

Edited by gatopretoNYC
  • LOL 5
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I guess he got the msg that a *lot* of people across the country were laughing at his decor.

Maybe the director was tactful and gave him a technical reason, like the background was causing moire patterns on their equipment. 🤣

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • LOL 5

The decor of the reporters doing their on-camera jobs from home is fascinating to me.  Loaded, messy bookshelves in the background; questionable wallpaper as mentioned above, bric-a-brac on desks.  Love it; it's nice to see a glimpse of them as people and not the kind-of automatons they can appear to be on-camera.

• Love 15
On 3/19/2020 at 5:02 PM, Ohwell said:

That ugly crap probably cost a lot of money.  The more I see it, the more it looks like leaf fronds.

Exactly.  After listening to the sound and looking at the wallpaper,  I'm beginning to think he was in a bathroom.

• LOL 4

I noticed that Nicolle was on for two hours yesterday.  Is this the start of her 2 hour show? She's doing her show from home (mentioned that her 7 yr old son was "upstairs" playing with legos) but she had the Deadline: White House background up.  Yes...it's interesting seeing so many folks broadcasting from their homes. But I can't wait to get back to the good ol' days when Nicolle & others would gather around the table.

• Love 3

I changed the color of the big red note to be a big orange note because it is important, and it seems like we've forgotten about it.  That is why it is right above where you post, so you can't miss it.  Please read it again.  

I have it on very good authority that they are not experimenting with changing the hosts now.  It's all a matter of efficiency in getting the programs put together.  Most of the producers and writers are working from home.

• Love 3

Yasmin is driving me crazy...does she have a neurolical deficit on the left side? Also, dumb dumb questions and talks too fast....appears to be prepping for the next while guest is talking.

• Love 1

I don't like Yasmin Vossoughian because she has zero personality and she always has this blank look on her face.  She interviewed former VP Biden today and it was painful watching her asking questions like she was disinterested. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Has anyone seen Kornacki lately?

I was liking him in the 7:00 slot and found that I prefer him over Erin Burnett.

In these times she's a little too serious for me (although I love her!)

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, Kemper said:

The decor of the reporters doing their on-camera jobs from home is fascinating to me. 

I know!   I'm loving it too.   It gives us a wee bit more insight into what they're like off-camera.   Loving all the bookshelves almost all of them have.   I'm always waiting for a toddler or dog to come bounding in.

• Love 3